Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athelas
Jan 13, 2006

differences tend to fall by the wayside with proper lubrication

Constantine XI posted:

Oh God. Infecting people in spawn and blocking the spawn doors in TFC were such dick moves, but the rage they produced was hilarious.

I miss the days when you could block spawn exits with SGs and dispensers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

SuitDude posted:

Sadly, medics can no longer infect people.

What a shame.

Maybe I'll get the TF2 if there are lots of team damage servers, though. In TFC, I loved being a spy and going into the enemy's sniper spot. After clearing it out, I'd disguise myself as an enemy sniper and wait to get picked off. Unfortunately, I couldn't do the zoom in animation, but they always took the bait if I did a good job acting.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Back in the old days of UO when not many people could dye true black, as it was not one of the normal dye colors for clothing, I managed to aquire a black robe and would advertise at the bank that I was dying clothes black for free. People would hand me their clothes... and then I would bolt. It was completely retarded and yet hilarious. On one hand, they were worth nothing. On the other, they were just stolen from and now have to do the naked walk of shame to the clothier.

Many of them would chase me around, yelling at me. Others would spam not to trust me, as I stole their pants before. It was a grand time.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Athelas posted:

I used to do this on 2-fort. You'd get the whole team to spawn in and a lot of people were nice about it and said "hey, this isnt the best position for a turret, you should build it outside buddy" :gbsmith:.

Then you could switch teams and it would kill everyone in the room.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

coyo7e posted:

CoD4 :words:

Are you guys still using the xfire clan to organize? This sounds way more fun than playing solo and insulting any pubbie using text chat.

Though, the following is amazingly effective in a previously silent round:

:froggonk:: move out of the fukn door noobz

:cool:: shhhh

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FadedReality posted:

Are you guys still using the xfire clan to organize? This sounds way more fun than playing solo and insulting any pubbie using text chat.

Though, the following is amazingly effective in a previously silent round:

:froggonk:: move out of the fukn door noobz

:cool:: shhhh
XFire? I roll with the XBox360 COD4 goons, and our thread is occasionally lurked by PS3 players since apparently they can't actually keep a thread going for their own console. :iceburn:

I dunno anything that's going on for the PC goons, this was just the stuff I've seen and heard about, playing on my XBox. I'd assume and hope that the PC goons have more variety and/or are more original than all us poor shmucks stuck on a gaming appliance instead of a ZOMG COMPUTER. :D

But in all honesty, if I had a gaming-level PC these days, I'd still play COD4 on XBox, it's just too clean and easy to play a ton of games and never worry about server latency or admins being douchebags.

DriveMeCrazy
Dec 7, 2004

by Fistgrrl

AuMaestro posted:

What a shame.

Maybe I'll get the TF2 if there are lots of team damage servers, though. In TFC, I loved being a spy and going into the enemy's sniper spot. After clearing it out, I'd disguise myself as an enemy sniper and wait to get picked off. Unfortunately, I couldn't do the zoom in animation, but they always took the bait if I did a good job acting.

Disguises in tf2 are obvious to your teammates. Take a look at the TF2 thread, a lot has changed. Not to say that tf2 isn't fun (it is) or that it's not griefable (it is), it's just a different creature to the TFC of old.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AuMaestro posted:

What a shame.

You might look into Fortress Forever, which was intended to be TFC: Source, kind of.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

AuMaestro posted:

What a shame.

While it's been said how that wouldn't really work in TF2, that's a fantastic, fantastic idea and I'm going to try it when I get around to playing TFC again.

e. Speaking of, I just remembered that I used to play heavy a lot, and people would positively flip the gently caress out when I did. Was heavy really that unbalanced? I used to play it a lot, but I never got the feeling that I was overpowered or anything. The lack of speed / inaccuracy of the gun seemed to balance me out well. But jesus people would be furious that I picked that class.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Code Jockey posted:

While it's been said how that wouldn't really work in TF2, that's a fantastic, fantastic idea and I'm going to try it when I get around to playing TFC again.

e. Speaking of, I just remembered that I used to play heavy a lot, and people would positively flip the gently caress out when I did. Was heavy really that unbalanced? I used to play it a lot, but I never got the feeling that I was overpowered or anything. The lack of speed / inaccuracy of the gun seemed to balance me out well. But jesus people would be furious that I picked that class.

If it was old TF, then you might have been breaking the unsaid rule that a certain class can only attack/defend and nothing else unless your Mother requires help and has the bubonic

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Fatrick posted:

Announcer Jim is hilarious. He reminds me of the announcer from Rock & Roll Racing.

Here's a video I found in the Youtube thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSMrA3J9tU

When an admin found someone hacking in TF2, they set them to do 0 damage when attacking, and they instagib when they take any damage, so they gib when they fall.

Hilarious.

That is beautiful.

As much as I hate griefers when they grief me, I still have respect for them.

Now, cheaters? No drat respect. You have to be loving insane to spend $50 on a game, and then cheat your way through it, let alone beat it on 'easy mode'.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

Back in the old days of UO when not many people could dye true black, as it was not one of the normal dye colors for clothing, I managed to aquire a black robe and would advertise at the bank that I was dying clothes black for free. People would hand me their clothes... and then I would bolt. It was completely retarded and yet hilarious. On one hand, they were worth nothing. On the other, they were just stolen from and now have to do the naked walk of shame to the clothier.

Many of them would chase me around, yelling at me. Others would spam not to trust me, as I stole their pants before. It was a grand time.

This is a better grief than it has any right to be. Would've gotten extra points if you'd had some friends hang out between the bank and the clothiers to make fun of naked people.

Some guy yelling "Don't trust him, he stole my pants!" is classic comedy.

TheElectronicOne
Oct 17, 2007
Are you the fullfiller?

Trainmonk posted:

naked walk of shame

If this thread produces a gallery of all-star griefing, this should be on the list for sure. It's best to imagine it happening in real life.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have two stories my friend told me.

He doesn't play alot of computer games, but he used to play the gently caress out of Diablo II under the name of Mike. One day, someone at level 60 pk'd his lowbie character. Similar to a story posted earlier in the thread, the 60 made he swear loyalty. Unfortunatly for him, Mike wasn't exactly a newbie, and began plotting his revenge. They killed more people, and began looting. Mike found a hack cube. A hacked cube that summoned a hack golom that was nigh-unkillable. So he relaxed at the edge of the town, letting his golem kill more players when his golem "accidently" squished the guy he swore loyalty to. His ear looked good in the rest of his collection.

Same guy, different handle. Plays COD4 on XBOX Live. Has a recorder with the Numa Numa song on it. So he changes his clan tag to NUMA and plays the song over the headset. Half the people would swear uncontrollably at him, the other half would sing along.

Perhaps not the cleverest grief, but entertaining to listen to. A sample below:

:argh:"STOP PLAYING THAT YOU FAGG-"
:iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag: "NUMA NUMA NUMA YAY..."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Agean90 posted:

Same guy, different handle. Plays COD4 on XBOX Live. Has a recorder with the Numa Numa song on it. So he changes his clan tag to NUMA and plays the song over the headset. Half the people would swear uncontrollably at him, the other half would sing along.

Perhaps not the cleverest grief, but entertaining to listen to. A sample below:

:argh:"STOP PLAYING THAT YOU FAGG-"
:iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag: "NUMA NUMA NUMA YAY..."
Get that man a forums account, and point him to our XBox360 COD4 thread. We can show him some better stuff to put on his soundboard. So many goons bought Trash Talkers recently, that they're out of stock at play-asia! ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 22, 2008

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AuMaestro posted:

What a shame.

Maybe I'll get the TF2 if there are lots of team damage servers, though.
Nope. You have to get creative. Teleporters are my mainstay.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but at one point in BF1942 if you drove an APC into an AA gun as fast as you could, and had the AA gun pointed in a specific direction, the APC would get "stuck" for a second, and then suddenly shoot upwards into the air faster than a plane.

My brother and I would use this tactic to either just laugh watching the drat thing fly all over the place, or by making a paradrop from the APC behind enemy lines. Unfortunately for anyone else getting into the vehicle, we wouldn't warn them what was going to happen. I can only imagine the confusion when someone sees the apc suddenly spinning, hops out, and finds that he's about 200 feet in the air. Most people didn't have the reflexes to hit their parachute button.

I laughed until I was crying sometimes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bozart posted:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but at one point in BF1942 if you drove an APC into an AA gun as fast as you could, and had the AA gun pointed in a specific direction, the APC would get "stuck" for a second, and then suddenly shoot upwards into the air faster than a plane.

I laughed until I was crying sometimes.
We pretty much made a sport out of this in Desert Combat. C4 was kind of erratic in helping the jump though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've been doing some griefing in Diablo II the past couple days. One of the things high level characters can do is what's called an uber game. You collect 9 random-drop keys which open 3 mini levels. Clear all 3 mini levels and you can open a portal to Uber Tristram, where more powerful versions of the three Prime Evils, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, lurk. Kill them all and you get a Hellfire Torch, the most powerful charm in the game, which buffs your stats, resistances, and gives +3 to all of a classes skills.

The interesting part is this: If you kill Diablo and Baal, you can trap Mephisto in a house, where he'll spawn poo poo-tons of skeletons around one of the players. If you bring two powerful paladins in the game, you can have a bunch of low-level characters join while the paladins kill massive amounts of skeletons, and the lowbies can go from level 1 to level 85 in an hour or so off the skeleton kills. It takes three well-geared players to set this up and commit their time, so it takes quite a bit of organization. On D2jsp, the D2 trading site, people get together with their friends, set up Uber Tristram, and sell off leecher spots in the game--they can make 150-200 gold or more by levelling up lowbies.

Except when one of the lowbies gives me the game name and password. Then, after he's leveled a little bit, I jump in the game, teleport to Mephisto's house, and kill him and grab the Hellfire Torch before anyone knows what's going on. No more Meph means no more skeletons to level with, and they just gave me a free torch, which can be worth some serious fg if it's a good one. The best part is, most of the time, they end up having to refund everyone's money, so that goon lowbie gets to go from level 1-80 for free.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zuf8nn&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ne7w3q&s=4

Ghost Detective
Aug 8, 2008
I always loved running around as a spy as a member of my own team, I loved turning into a spy of my own teams color =D

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

Phenotype posted:

I've been doing some griefing in Diablo II the past couple days.
Oh man, Pheno, I love you. Let's have babies all over the place. My favourite thing to do is join uber games and drop gold until the game crashes :D. I have a script that drops gold really fast, can cover the entire screen in a few minutes. I wonder if there's a faster way to do it with packets.

Once I was following one of those baal bots that has his own channel that it reports game names to. I noticed that if anyone ever went hostile with him in his game, the bot would chicken and autoquit. I followed him for a good 30 minutes, causing him to quit games repeatedly until nobody was coming to his games any more :D.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Well, while I can certainly see the humor of griefing, I don't think I have ever done much of it, myself.
However, I do have a pretty amusing story of real life griefing in a video arcade.
A friend and I went to our local arcade, back in Jr. High, so we were around 13/14 years old. We see this guy we knew form the gaming circle (pen and paper) who was considerably older, in his mid 20's I'd say.
He was playing Gauntlet, and had probably put 10 to 20 bucks into it to get his health meter as high as it was...so my friend goes over to this little (probably ten years old) kid and whispers in his ear. We wait until the guy was on a level where your friendly attacks stun you, and then feed the kid quarters so he can keep him stunned in a doorway, eating ghost after ghost...his health meter is falling like crazy....and he just loses it.
He grabs the little kid, screaming (I kid you not) "IT'S NOT A GAME!"
Needless to say, we were rolling, and he got kicked out of the arcade. Now, I don't know if he just failed to see that we were actually giving that kid the money or what (his health was so high that the timed health of the kid was running out from just standing there, shooting him), but all his ire was directed at that poor little kid. I guess we griefed them both, lol, but all the credit goes to my friend Paul.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Barometer posted:

all the credit goes to my friend Paul.

This is an amazing story, I don't get how people take games so seriously.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Uber Tristram
Is it actually possible for a single player to kill one of the Prime Evils in a multi-player game? I never played 1.10 but I remember seeing Poor Man's page and it sounded like you needed to be an accounting wizard with incredible precision to do that.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Pacifism is goddamn beautiful.

I started up Halo 3 tonight because I was bored, and decided to mess around with the pubbies a little bit. Apparently the Double XP weekend is going on tonight (a Thursday), and it's Team Snipers. Needless to say, I tried my damndest to keep my teammates from being able to kill anyone on the other team by blocking their shots. Eventually, I got to spouting out a whole bunch of crap about how John Lennon wouldn't want the Red and Blue teams to kill each other, and we should just give peace a chance.

Lucky for me, as I'm doing doughnuts in a mongoose, one of the blue guys jumps on as my passenger and starts yelling "DON'T KILL BROKENED! STOP!" Of course, Brokened is me and he and I spend the rest of the match trying to ride our mongoose in peace while the blue team keeps taking potshots at us. I keep getting headshotted the whole match while he yells at his own team for killing me. On top of all that, he sounds like he's 12 years old.

After the game, he adds me to his friends list and has me party up with him and one of the blue guys who kept killing me despite my objections to the war. I spent the next match talking about how Jesus loves everyone and that killing is bad. There are no winners and losers in life or this game! My favorite exchange went something like this:

:v: "So if you don't believe in winners and losers, are we all winners?"

:colbert: "Nope, we're all losers because we have nothing better to do tonight than play Halo."

That made things quiet for a bit.

To make a long story short, I was griefing in Halo 3 by running around and being useless and someone on the other team joined me. All in the name of goddamn peace and John Lennon. I'll break out my gamebridge and post a video in the morning, unfortunately there is no voicechat audio because I have no idea how to record it.

edit: I'd also like to get in on some COD4 "Shush" shennanigans the next chance I get. That sounds awesome.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
When Diablo 2 first came out I went through the game fast as a paladin, then decided that hardcore looked awesome. I decided that the best thing to do in hardcore would be to kill other players. (edit: hardcore meant that if you died, you could never be brought back to life. You had to start over from the beginning)

So I sat down and figured out that if I was a barbarian, and I put a bunch of skills towards leap attack and pole arm, if I could catch someone and hit them once (which leap attack made much easier) then they would die in one shot.

I cannot begin to convey the rage that ensues after you one shot someone's level 40 necromancer.

On a non-griefing front, I was inspired to do this by one of my friends who was pissed off at all the cheating in the first Diablo, so he figured out that if you were a mage, and never touched a shrine, and got the thinking cap, and touched one particular shrine that had a chance to increase its durability, and then put on the thinking cap, naj's light plate, and an archangel's staff (of town portal, in his case) you could cast level 20 fireballs in a game that only had up to level 15.

The drat things did so much damage that if people had just used duped and hacked items, he could 1 or 2 shot them. After which he would be called a cheater, by the duping cheaters themselves!

Bozart fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 22, 2008

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shumagorath posted:

Is it actually possible for a single player to kill one of the Prime Evils in a multi-player game? I never played 1.10 but I remember seeing Poor Man's page and it sounded like you needed to be an accounting wizard with incredible precision to do that.

Actually, if you build the right character, you can solo Uber Tristram by yourself. My smiter paladin can tank all three uber Prime Evils at once, actually. The only way I die is through lag. Smacking down Mephisto solo is child's play, even with 7 other people ingame.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I'm still waiting for you lot to grief Islam for me.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

Simiain posted:

Well, I'm an American. Does that count?

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!

Simiain posted:

Thread seems a bit dead, and there are no more random goons on SL, just a few hard-cores at the w-hat mall. But they sit around alot of the time.

And as far as i know that islam holy site isnt visited at all, so no one to grief there. And if we did we would probably be seeing youtube video's of goons getting their heads chopped off.

I drop in from time to time in second life, but all alone its boring as hell, did go to a church service and had a satan avatar looking at the service from the roof nobody noticed me untill for some reason i clipped through the roof.

The pastor was in the middle of his service, on VOIP, so you could hear him. When a 7 feet 500 pound devil crashed down in the center. Startled him a bit.

But yeah not much to do anymore in SL.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Athelas posted:

I used to do this with a buddy of mine on 2fort. He would be on red -- I would be on blue. I'd block the door with a disp/sg, letting the respawn fill up to the gills. Buddy would run along as a red engineer and toss an EMP grenade right into respawn entrance mini-hall. Queue 10 people exploding while typing in rage.

Oh the memories.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I tried to do some real world griefing yesterday.

My wife decided we were off to a community dog show, but said I could wear what I like (sometimes these are fancy affairs). So I decided to wear my falcons jersey. My old Michael Vick Falcons jersey, to be precise. She doesn't follow sports, nor apparently news.

The looks were hilarious, until my wife was told what the looks were for and demanded I removed the shirt.

Sadly, I had my daughter take some shots on her phone, but she deleted them. That means I have to do it again to prove to my friends I actually did it, and this time my wife knows what's going on.

(for those who don't follow sport, Vick was locked away last season for killing dogs and running dog fighting nights, he's hated by pretty much everyone).

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 25, 2008

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Since there aren't any exploits to make use of in TF2 now, I've been trying to get a goatse spray imported but I can't get it to work. It's the right size and format and all, but it keeps telling me the image file is corrupt. Ideas?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I made a giant lego penis complemented with vagina slash testies and a layered city inside it in Blockland once. I saved it and started loading it up on any public server in which the administrators would give out the password to the administrative options. Surprisingly I haven't been banned yet from any server and often times the administrators want to make their own additions to the little town inside it.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Triggs posted:

Since there aren't any exploits to make use of in TF2 now, I've been trying to get a goatse spray imported but I can't get it to work. It's the right size and format and all, but it keeps telling me the image file is corrupt. Ideas?

See if the color mode is indexed, if so make it RGB.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising
I appear to have reached the apex of griefing in TF2 by simply existing in a server. I'm not sure whether it's the lljk tag or my name itself but more and more often as soon as I join a server I'm having people yell "gently caress OFF SPIRIT TREE" and ragequit, or start insulting me through chat or through microphone.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

InterFaced posted:

See if the color mode is indexed, if so make it RGB.

I only have MSPaint available, how do I do that? I tried saving it as a 256 bitmap and that didn't work, either.

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.

Triggs posted:

I only have MSPaint available, how do I do that? I tried saving it as a 256 bitmap and that didn't work, either.

VTFLib (once called VTFedit) is a very easy way to make sprays. You get yourself a .tga file (I found it best to use GIMP with a transparent background) and import it, convert it to a .vtf file (and make sure to have it generate the .vmt file as well), and place both the .vtf and the .vmt files into your team fortress 2/tf/materials/VGUI/logos folder. If the VGUI folder doesn't exist, just make it (and make sure it's all caps), same for the logos folder. If you did it correctly, once you launch TF2 it should show up under your spray list in the Multiplayer tab. There's another program to make animated .gif files into .vtf/.vmt files, but I forget what it is and I've never used it. I'm sure if you look around on FPSBanana you'll be able to find it.

Something to note: This works with ANY valve game that has in-game sprays, not just TF2. CS:S, HL2: DM, any mod; as long as you place it in the correct folder, you should be set to go.

GoldenDelicious fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2008

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Spirit Tree posted:

I appear to have reached the apex of griefing in TF2 by simply existing in a server. I'm not sure whether it's the lljk tag or my name itself but more and more often as soon as I join a server I'm having people yell "gently caress OFF SPIRIT TREE" and ragequit, or start insulting me through chat or through microphone.

You'll have to tell me (and/or chat) next time this happens, i'd like to see it.

On a similar note, it's only a matter of time before ATM Machine and my voice gets recoginised in CSS when we're aliasing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Apparently there's another glitch with the heavy you can use to glide around in the default pose.

1. Spin up your minigun in spawn, then use the equip command to switch to the other one.
2. Do a taunt. This should glitch your animations and leave you looking like a heavy civilian.

• Locked thread