Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but how come WWE doesn't make more use of Japanese talent? They seem to put a lot of stock in wrestlers who have experience in Japan, but not Japanese stars themselves.

And that picture of Morishima and Vince shaking hands is going into the same folder as Vince shaking Bret's hand from a couple of years back. Surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because they won't get over to the American audience and they aren't many that are "larger than life."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I guess that makes sense, even a monster like Morishima is only roughly average height for WWE.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Jerusalem posted:

I guess that makes sense, even a monster like Morishima is only roughly average height for WWE.

Looking at that one photo where he's shaking hands with Cena, and unless Cena is percieved to be tiny, I can't really see Morishima being average.

On a side note, who was that other Japanese dude standing next to Harley Race in this picture? http://www.noah-usa.cc/8%2018%2008%20wwe91news.JPG

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The other guy is some nameless NOAH stooge, probably there as an interpreter. I'm fairly sure it isn't their Hawaii office guy who had helped out on other NOAH-in-the-US events.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The site says it's Ryu Nakada

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's the top non-wrestler NOAH guy, and word has it he's the main reason why Kawada won't be let back into NOAH so :argh:

HHHH
Feb 8, 2004

I'm going to be in Japan (Tokyo area) from 9/9 to 9/18. How can I find out what shows are going on in the area at that time, and which shows should I try to see? I don't speak or read the language, by the way.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HHHH posted:

I'm going to be in Japan (Tokyo area) from 9/9 to 9/18. How can I find out what shows are going on in the area at that time, and which shows should I try to see? I don't speak or read the language, by the way.
http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/data/bt-schedule.html - This has for many years been the go-to site for upcoming shows. Of course it's in Japanese, so we're forced to try and use babelfish.

...no go. Hey, google has one of thems! And it works! I can guide you to any of the locations.

Dragon Gate at Korakuen, 9/11, 6:30PM

Apache (indy hardcore guys) at Korakuen, 9/12, 7PM

TEN BILLION SHOWS on 9/13. ROH, All Japan, DDT, DG. DDT's start time makes no sense (there is no 25th hour!). ROH is in Differ Ariake, DG is at somewhere I have no idea how to locate, AJ is in Korakuen. All start at 6 or 6:30.

TEN BILLION SHOWS on 9/14 also. ROH in Differ, Big Japan in Korakuen, K-Dojo (Taka's fed) in Korakuen (noon show).

WAVE (women's fed) on 9/15 at Shin Kiba 1st Ring, afternoon and evening shows.

HUSTLE at Korakuen on 9/17.

Any other questions let me know.

edit: New column wherein I discuss Morishima and the G-1 Climax:
http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/08/21/puroresu-pulse-issue-132-g-1-climax-and-morishima

Ditch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 22, 2008

HHHH
Feb 8, 2004

Ditch posted:

Any other questions let me know.

Sweet list! Exactly what I needed.

I've heard of ROH and Hustle, and I'll probably see one or both of those shows. But what about the others? Any of those other groups worth going out of my way to see? Who are the big stars/best wrestlers I should check out?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Dragon Gate is 'lucharesu', fast-paced highflying and such. Top stars at the moment are Shingo Takagi and BB Hulk. Here's a match from March where they face KENTA and Ishimori (who is a 'Dragon System' wrestler):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPG12UZX

ROH's 9/13 show will be co-promoted with Dragon Gate. ROH's 9/14 show will co-promote with NOAH. Either of those would be worthwhile, but I'd suggest 9/13 because of what's on 9/14.

Big Japan is a hardcore/deathmatch fed that also has good non-hardcore wrestling. The big-time puro followers like myself have enjoyed them quite a lot in recent years. They have great crowds at Korakuen. Here is a deathmatch from June:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3O270TKI

And a straight tag from May:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBV4EGKQ

Both of those took place at Korakuen.

DDT, which might be a midnight show or 1AM the next day (very confusing!), is a hodgepodge of energetic wrestling and weird comedy angles/gimmicks. Here's one of their wrestling matches:
http://lenny.theditch.biz/20071127-DDT_HARASHIMA-vs-MIKAMI.wmv

Here's a match with lots of gimmickness:
http://theditch.us/4-1-07Ladder.avi

You can skip Apache and All Japan easily, and WAVE and K-Dojo too. Better ways to spend time in Tokyo, especially if you're already taking in a couple wrestling shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Apache is pretty cool if you want to see a lunatic in a firecracker vest. Maybe I'm getting that confused with another japanese indy promotion. They seem to come and go at roughly a rate of 10 per month.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

coconono posted:

Apache is pretty cool if you want to see a lunatic in a firecracker vest. Maybe I'm getting that confused with another japanese indy promotion. They seem to come and go at roughly a rate of 10 per month.
That would be 666.

How dare you confuse one scuzzy indy fed with another.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

quote:

--Takeshi Morishima returned to Japan yesterday and made no comment about his WWE tryout matches, and was only promoting that he had learned new techniques from Ricky Steamboat that he would use to beat Kensuke Sasaki in their GHC title match at Budokan Hall.

oh geez.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

oh geez.

Morishima's gonna skin the cat!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

quote:

Takeshi Morishima returned to Japan yesterday and made no comment about his WWE tryout matches, and was only promoting that he had learned new techniques from Paul London that he would use to beat Kensuke Sasaki in their GHC title match at Budokan Hall.
I can dream.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Meltzer reported on WOL that the WWE's interest in Morishima is pretty low at this point.

Apparently they thought he was out of shape.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

Meltzer reported on WOL that the WWE's interest in Morishima is pretty low at this point.

did he ever go longer than 20 minutes in ROH?

just sayin.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

I wonder if all the info they got was "Oh he's real big!" and they insinuated that meant 6'7, 270 pounds of muscle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

coconono posted:

just sayin.

At one point do you really need to go over 20 in WWE? He just went a half hour in NOAH. Just because you're big doesn't mean you can't go. And good, the WWE would just give him an evil foreigner gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

just sayin.

He had a 30 minute tag draw at GBH VI N1, he went more than 20 with Danielson at MMII, a little over 20 at Live in Tokyo with Nigel, the United We Stand tag (which ruled) went well over 20, and I assume the Reborn Again and This Means War II main event tags went 20.

But the point of his run was to change things up after Danielson, do shorter main events after a year and a half of really long title matches, Gabe wanted to do shorter more intense brawls with Morishima.

He's sure capable of longer matches, he just had a 30 minute singles draw in NOAH, and his tag against KENTA and Marufuji in 2006 that went 30 was one of the best matches of the year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

He's sure capable of longer matches, he just had a 30 minute singles draw in NOAH, and his tag against KENTA and Marufuji in 2006 that went 30 was one of the best matches of the year.

Then I have no idea why WWE would say he's out of shape. He looks like a Nipponese Gordy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably because he is out of shape.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Captain Charisma posted:

Probably because he is out of shape.

He's not out of shape at all, he's just a biiiiiiiiiiggggggg guyyyyyyyyy!

Seriously, just because he's not freakishly toned and ripped doesn't mean he's out of shape. Real people do not look like Batista and Triple H.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I do.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I wanted to ask Scott Norton a couple questions and we talked for 100 minutes. Great guy.

He says he was Vicious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I wanted to ask Scott Norton a couple questions and we talked for 100 minutes. Great guy.

He says he was Vicious.

That was actually the last question you got to ask.

"Yeah, I was Vicious, Buff was Delicious."

"Well to me you were always Vicious AND Delicious!"

"..." (Click)

It's ok though, most of us would have gotten a bit homo erotic talking to Scott Norton.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Wow the OP to this thread is old. Anyway to get this off the third page, I was wondering whether somebody could answer some questions, sorry if they've already been answered:

What is the rough order of companies (like how in 2000, it was WWE, WCW, then ECW in the US). Maybe some historical ones would be nice too (in 1995, 1998, 2000 post noah, 2002)

How terrible are various federations getting?

How much touring do companies generally do?

What is the order of the women's wrestling companies, and what dregs are left now that big national companies are gone?

Are the companies willing to let their main eventers work freely like they seem to (like how for tournaments, other companies aces shows up, and actually get really good showings, not just buried because they're outsiders), and how jumping back and forth doesn't seem to be treated as betrayal over there?

How crazy are those 40+ stiff machines? (Sasaki, kobashi, misawa, kawada)

Is kobashi's return as bad as it seems? As in, does he not move right, not put on the main event performances, only performs irregularly, and mainly in tags?

How much do people use promos and gimmicks generally in japanese wrestling? It seems that interviewers treat them like athletes, not like the wwe interviewers who just ask them about their plotline, and that promos are only for comedy purposes. Otherwise, I've never heard of a plotline in NOAH, who just seem to be kicking rear end as a company.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 6, 2008

arthur138
May 26, 2003
New GHC Champion.

10. GHC Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki beat Takeshi Morishima (22:02) with a Northern Light Bomb to become the 13th champion.

http://noah.puroresufan.com/

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Well that was certainly unexpected.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I don't think that's a shock at all. Morishima got a couple defenses and 6 months with the belt. Plus there's some speculation that Sasaki might bring the title to ROH...

Wazzu posted:

What is the rough order of companies (like how in 2000, it was WWE, WCW, then ECW in the US). Maybe some historical ones would be nice too (in 1995, 1998, 2000 post noah, 2002)
For the longest time it was NJ followed by AJ. Then the NOAH split happened, and once Kobashi went out in early '01 there was a period where it was hard to say who between AJ, Zero-One and NOAH was #2. Once Kobashi returned NOAH was solidly #2, and now there's a big gap between NOAH and AJ (Z-1 is an also-ran). NJ is the only fed that can reliably draw 4000+ in several cities.

quote:

How terrible are various federations getting?
I don't know about 'terrible', although I have only liked a handful of matches from AJ, NJ, DG and Z1 over the last year. I mean, WAR has some fond memories and it wasn't worse from a match standpoint than any of the top feds today.

quote:

How much touring do companies generally do?
A couple weeks on, a couple weeks off is the norm for AJ/NJ/NOAH. Z1 is sporadic, DG has its own weird schedule, most other serious feds don't run that many shows.

quote:

What is the order of the women's wrestling companies, and what dregs are left now that big national companies are gone?
I have no idea. Nobody runs places bigger than Korakuen, at least with any degree of success.

quote:

Are the companies willing to let their main eventers work freely like they seem to (like how for tournaments, other companies aces shows up, and actually get really good showings, not just buried because they're outsiders), and how jumping back and forth doesn't seem to be treated as betrayal over there?
NJ, Z1 and AJ cooperate with talent exchanges and agree on outcomes. That's very different from, say, in 2002 when Mutoh and Kojima left NJ for AJ. As far as 'betrayal', it depends on the circumstance. When the NOAH wrestlers left AJ, that was a deeply personal thing. Mutoh and Kojima leaving was done after their annual contracts were up and was accepted as just business.

quote:

How crazy are those 40+ stiff machines? (Sasaki, kobashi, misawa, kawada)
A lot less crazy than the Big Japan guys. Between all of them only a tiny number of injuries came from stiffness, and none of that will be as damaging to their health as joint wear & tear.

quote:

Is kobashi's return as bad as it seems? As in, does he not move right, not put on the main event performances, only performs irregularly, and mainly in tags?
Kobashi wrestles reasonably often enough. His movement is due to the knees being busted and that's no different than in '05-'06. That said, the fact that he STILL hasn't had a singles match or even a tag title match is worrisome. He's been in some long, high-impact tags, but spent a good majority of he time on the apron. A few months ago doctors said he needed to take it easy, so I suspect they're going to wait until he's capable of 20+ minute singles matches before having him do more serious work. Who knows when/if that will be.

quote:

How much do people use promos and gimmicks generally in japanese wrestling? It seems that interviewers treat them like athletes, not like the wwe interviewers who just ask them about their plotline, and that promos are only for comedy purposes. Otherwise, I've never heard of a plotline in NOAH, who just seem to be kicking rear end as a company.
NOAH's booking sucks because it lacks even the most basic storylines, those being rivalries. In general the 'serious' feds rely on 3-5 wrestlers in stables going at it, meaning you have regular tag partners and can mix and match among stablemates for tags and singles. Sometimes the feuds really heat up, and other times two stables will go at it tour after tour after tour. There are 'gimmicks', but not the way WWE does in most cases, and only rarely do the wrestlers not agree to them. Dragon Gate does in-ring promos, though I think that's largely to fill time because the roster is small. Promos as a % of time on shows are never ANYTHING like US TV wrestling.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh I don't think he'll defend it. Gabe would have made a big deal about it ("If Sasaki wins the GHC title this could be a title match!!!") plus the other two GHC defenses in ROH are with guys who had been in NOAH enough that fans in Japan would instantly be like "Oh, that guy," albeit in very different degrees of "Oh I know him." He'll probably bring the belt but I don't see him defending.

Of course I could be wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

Eh I don't think he'll defend it. Gabe would have made a big deal about it ("If Sasaki wins the GHC title this could be a title match!!!") plus the other two GHC defenses in ROH are with guys who had been in NOAH enough that fans in Japan would instantly be like "Oh, that guy," albeit in very different degrees of "Oh I know him." He'll probably bring the belt but I don't see him defending.

Of course I could be wrong.

Nigel vs Marufuji was set before Marufuji won the title, and there wasn't any mention of it possibly being a GHC title match.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The precedent wasn't there though with that match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

The precedent wasn't there though with that match.

It doesn't matter. It is a pretty giant spoiler to suggest he might defend the title if he wins it, because if he doesn't you've just hyped up your show based on something you know won't happen.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

It doesn't matter. It is a pretty giant spoiler to suggest he might defend the title if he wins it, because if he doesn't you've just hyped up your show based on something you know won't happen.
More so with it taking place in a company you don't control.

What's funny is how *NOAH* announced Misawa vs KENTA for the GHC in such a way that it spoiled Misawa vs Samoa Joe at Budokan Hall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope this means the giant screaming baby is coming to WWE.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jerusalem posted:

I hope this means the giant screaming baby is coming to WWE.
No, WWE was offended by the fact that he showed up for his trial with too much flab.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ditch posted:

No, WWE was offended by the fact that he showed up for his trial with too much flab.

I was hoping that this would just turn out to be incorrect or they'd get over it. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in ROH, though I imagine he's in a fairly good place in Japan at the moment. How is he actually thought of? Do the Japanese like him/fear him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's seen as credible, not a fearsome monster or anything, but he's just not a big draw. Doesn't have the kind of charisma to lead a company.