Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

If you can find it, their debut album The End of the Beginning is incredible. It just hooks you from start to finish. Anyone who is into God is an Astronaut really needs to check this album out, as most people I've talked to only really know them for All is Violent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uevKxa6sjFA <-- First track.

They're visual show is really great too if you can ever see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Red Sparowes at Corporation, in Sheffield, were outstanding on Saturday night.
They played what I think was every track off the new digital EP, and a good mix of first and second album.

Can't wait for the new album now, they've changed a little in sound but they're still the Sparowes.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Saw Caspian again at their show in Beverly. They played well, but I did not enjoy the show nearly as much as I did the first time I saw them. They just seemed way more energetic the first time around. That and the sound was not all that great at the Beverly American Legion. Oh well. It looks like I won't be seeing another show until Mogwai on Sept. 19th in Philadelphia.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

JaWs posted:

Saw Caspian again at their show in Beverly. They played well, but I did not enjoy the show nearly as much as I did the first time I saw them. They just seemed way more energetic the first time around. That and the sound was not all that great at the Beverly American Legion. Oh well. It looks like I won't be seeing another show until Mogwai on Sept. 19th in Philadelphia.

That show was weird - check them out with Yndi Halda at TT's in August and you won't be disappointed. The guys from Caspian are really pumped for that gig.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

JaWs posted:

I think the guys in the band were a little disappointed that they we're able to play longer. But like Big Wreck said, they're playing TTs in August and that should be excellent, though again probably a little short.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I was randomly following links a bit and found these guys I'd never heard of before called April showers bring May flower.

I thought they were pretty alright and I found basically nothing except myspace about them in English, so I figured they might be little known and thought I'd share. Sorry if they've been mentioned before. Not much in the way of epicness but not exactly mellow, more or less along the lines of some of the other j-post-rock bands but less rowdy than Te or what have you. Anyway, decent tunes I thought, though not the most original stuff ever.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1000521919

The audioleaf in case you hate myspace:

http://www.audioleaf.com/april/

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 5, 2008

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Big Wreck posted:

That show was weird - check them out with Yndi Halda at TT's in August and you won't be disappointed. The guys from Caspian are really pumped for that gig.

I would like to go to that show, unfortunately I am going back to Rochester for school the day before, I think.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
For the few té fans in here, they've announced their 3rd album, out October 8th. Hopefully when they go on tour they'll finally come to the UK:

http://tee.daa.jp/ja/web.html

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm looking to branch out my musical tastes a bit, could anyone explain to me what post-rock really is? I don't seem to understand it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

theblindparrot posted:

I'm looking to branch out my musical tastes a bit, could anyone explain to me what post-rock really is? I don't seem to understand it.

Wikipedia posted:

Post-rock is a genre of alternative rock characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. It is the use of 'rock instrumentation' for non-rock purposes. Practitioners of the genre's style typically produce instrumental music.

Apparently it all started with Bark Psychosis, Slint, Tortoise, and others, but now it's mainly about Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, 65daysofstatic, Russian Circles, God Is An Astronaut, and others.

As the Wiki article said, it's usually instrumental, but not exclusively instrumental. Most post-rock has a real epic sound to it, and a lot of the time, post-rock tracks will have buildups so they'll go from quiet and haunting to loud, furious, and chaotic.

The whole reason I like the genre so much is that it's pretty much perfect for any mood. In my case, I find it produces different effects for different times, different weather, etc. Some post-rock stuff is just perfect for watching a sunrise, while other post-rock stuff will be perfect for night driving in the rain.

If you want to start out listening to post-rock, I'd say get as much Explosions In The Sky stuff as you can. Some people may tell you to start out listening to GY!BE or Sigur Ros, but it's my personal belief that EITS is the best representation of the post-rock style as a whole. They have some stuff that'll leave you feeling really happy and uplifted, and other stuff that may depress you to no end. Listening to them is a great way to gauge the different moods of the genre.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 13, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

That's not post-rock.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Big Wreck posted:

That's not post-rock.

What's post-rock.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Big Wreck posted:

That's not post-rock.

I love vague poo poo posts.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Technetium posted:

What's post-rock.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

aswang_pro
Sep 24, 2005

tulog na tayo

citizenlowell posted:

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

I'm glad I'm not the only with that had that phrase ingrained into their head.

to contribute: I've been listening to Set Fire to Flames a lot lately. Kind of minimalist with a lot of ambient sounds. I believe some of the members of GY!BE play with them.

deego
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Set Fire to Flames is one of the oddest bands I've listened to. Signs Reign Rebuilder, their first album, is amazing. "Steal Compass/Drive North/Disappear" and "There Is No Dance in Frequency and Balance" are off SRR and are worth a listen.

The next album, the monstrous 2 disc Telegraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped in Static, is bogged down by the length, which wouldn't be an issue except most of the album isn't music (one song is a recording of someone waking up, walking around a house, and getting into a car; others are just a buzz or drone). That being said, once you cut out the dead tracks, TiN/MTiS has some of the most beautiful minimalist tracks I've heard. "When Sorrow Shoots Her Darts", "Kill Fatigue Frequencies", "Your Guts Are Like Mine", and "This Thing Between Us Is a Rickety Bridge of Impossible Crossing/Bonfires for Nobody…" are definitely worth a listen.

Listen for free: http://www.last.fm/music/Set+Fire+to+Flames

deego fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 17, 2008

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

it's my personal belief that EITS is the best representation of the post-rock style as a whole. They have some stuff that'll leave you feeling really happy and uplifted, and other stuff that may depress you to no end. Listening to them is a great way to gauge the different moods of the genre.

EITS is more of a representation of the grandiose type of post rock ala GYBE and such, but he should definitely check out some bands like The Six Parts Seven or even 65daysofstatic to get an idea for some of the other styles within the post rock genre.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
This Will Destroy You is going on tour with Lymbyc Systym. They will be in Toronto on Sept. 11. I will be there come hell or high water.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

JaWs posted:

This Will Destroy You is going on tour with Lymbyc Systym. They will be in Toronto on Sept. 11. I will be there come hell or high water.

I've seen Lymbyc Systym before, they are very good.

Wigglyben
Aug 23, 2008
Are there any bands similar to GYBE but heavier? I'm looking for something that starts off really really, quiet, slowly builds up and has a really, really intense crescendo.

All of the post metal bands (Or Atmospheric Sludge or whatever you want to call them) I've heard don't really have that buildup, they're just heavy from the start. They're great, but I want something that builds up to be really intense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wigglyben posted:

Are there any bands similar to GYBE but heavier? I'm looking for something that starts off really really, quiet, slowly builds up and has a really, really intense crescendo.

All of the post metal bands (Or Atmospheric Sludge or whatever you want to call them) I've heard don't really have that buildup, they're just heavy from the start. They're great, but I want something that builds up to be really intense.

In my experience, Cult Of Luna is probably the best for post-metal buildups.

Wigglyben
Aug 23, 2008

In my experience, Cult Of Luna is probably the best for post-metal buildups.

Yeah, they're probably the best at that. But not exactly what I'm looking for. They're still too sludge metal sounding. And they have vocals, which is fine but not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that's post rock, but heavy. Post Metal is usually really distorted (that's where the sludge metal comes from) which isn't what I'm thinking of in my head.

I don't know if I'm describing it correctly.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
I've come to the conclusion that, of all the genres, post-rock has far and away the best album art. (The worst is a tie between rap and 80's metal)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wigglyben posted:

Yeah, they're probably the best at that. But not exactly what I'm looking for. They're still too sludge metal sounding. And they have vocals, which is fine but not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that's post rock, but heavy. Post Metal is usually really distorted (that's where the sludge metal comes from) which isn't what I'm thinking of in my head.

I don't know if I'm describing it correctly.

I've been listening to two songs quite often recently, "Mother" by Meniscus, and "Ruins" by North, because I have them on a mix CD I made for driving in the rain. Both get pretty heavy after a while, but especially the latter.

Is this the kind of stuff you're looking for?

Another favorite of mine along these lines is "Show Me The Season" by Maserati.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

aswang_pro posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only with that had that phrase ingrained into their head.

to contribute: I've been listening to Set Fire to Flames a lot lately. Kind of minimalist with a lot of ambient sounds. I believe some of the members of GY!BE play with them.

SFTF is one of those bands I just can't casually listen to. Sings Reign Rebuilder is a really, really good album, but Telegraphs in Negative is just brilliant. It's, at times, a pretty painful listening experience, but it's ultimately very rewarding. Also, they hardly even belong to the same genre as GY!BE and whatnot. Really, the fact that the groups share a handful of members is where the similarities end.

In my opinion, they're definitely one of the most interesting post-rock bands of all time.

Wigglyben
Aug 23, 2008

I've been listening to two songs quite often recently, "Mother" by Meniscus, and "Ruins" by North, because I have them on a mix CD I made for driving in the rain. Both get pretty heavy after a while, but especially the latter.

Is this the kind of stuff you're looking for?

Another favorite of mine along these lines is "Show Me The Season" by Maserati.

Kind of. Those are great songs, but I was looking for something with more instruments, like violins, cellos, etc. like GYBE. I'm not even sure something like that exists though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Would you mind posting the tracklisting for it? That sounds cool and I've wanted to make my own for a bit now. It might give me some ideas (or I'll just use yours...)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Technetium posted:

Would you mind posting the tracklisting for it? That sounds cool and I've wanted to make my own for a bit now. It might give me some ideas (or I'll just use yours...)

Sure :)

quote:

mix81108 (rain mix)

1) M83 - Moonchild
2) Kevin Carafa - A Problem Situation
3) pg.lost - Kardusen
4) North - Ruins
5) Meniscus - Mother
6) Maserati - Show Me The Season
7) Minus The Bear - I'm Totally Not Down With Rob's Alien
8) Caspian - ASA
9) Jesu - Silver (Original Beats Remix)
10) EF - Tomorrow My Friend
11) M83 - Teen Angst

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Sure :)

Every thing off m83's Saturdays = Youth is great night/early morning driving music as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Every thing off m83's Saturdays = Youth is great night/early morning driving music as well.

Well then I'll have to listen to that album again. I've only listened to it once, and I didn't really like what I heard, but it's probably safe to say that I wasn't giving it enough of a chance.

If I make another rain/night driving/whatever kind of mix, I'm definitley throwing some Mogwai on there. I don't know why I forgot to put them on that first one, but they've got a bunch of songs I love that sound like they'd be perfect for moods like that (I Know You Are But What Am I?, Acid Food, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, Stop Coming To My House, Christmas Steps, etc.)

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Well then I'll have to listen to that album again. I've only listened to it once, and I didn't really like what I heard, but it's probably safe to say that I wasn't giving it enough of a chance.

If I make another rain/night driving/whatever kind of mix, I'm definitley throwing some Mogwai on there. I don't know why I forgot to put them on that first one, but they've got a bunch of songs I love that sound like they'd be perfect for moods like that (I Know You Are But What Am I?, Acid Food, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, Stop Coming To My House, Christmas Steps, etc.)

Well, We Own the Sky and Kim and Jessie are the easy standout tracks but I don't recall the album being too hard to get into so maybe it's just not for you.

I'm debating seeing North tonight. They're playing second on a five band bill and I'm really only interested in seeing them...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Wreck posted:

Well, We Own the Sky and Kim and Jessie are the easy standout tracks but I don't recall the album being too hard to get into so maybe it's just not for you.

I'm debating seeing North tonight. They're playing second on a five band bill and I'm really only interested in seeing them...

Goddamn, you're right. We Own The Sky is amazing. This is like...the perfect representation of rain in music. There's no way I'm not driving to this.

And go see North! I've never seen them live and they aren't coming anywhere near me, but they've got a really awesome sound and I'd imagine that seeing them live would be a pretty awesome experience.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

And go see North! I've never seen them live and they aren't coming anywhere near me, but they've got a really awesome sound and I'd imagine that seeing them live would be a pretty awesome experience.

I had to leave before North last night but I did get to see Rosetta who are pretty drat awesome.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

So it seems newer shoegaze consists of a bunch of bands I normally would not consider a part of the genre. Can anybody recommend more along the lines of these two bands?

http://www.myspace.com/sunnydayinglasgow

scribble mural comic journal is a great album

Also, Doi's Sing The Boy Electric

http://www.myspace.com/doimusic

Any recommendations?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Wigglyben posted:

Kind of. Those are great songs, but I was looking for something with more instruments, like violins, cellos, etc. like GYBE. I'm not even sure something like that exists though.

Are you thinking of something like A Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra's "Sit in the Middle of Three Galloping Dogs"? Or maybe Esmerine's "The Marvellous Engines of Resistance"?

Having a hard time getting a handle on what you're after.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Any checked out Johnnytwentythree, they're pretty cool. Apparently their first album was used to score a movie but they also released it as a stand alone album. It's really cool and different from the more familiar EITS/Caspian kind of bands I think.

You can check them out at their Myspace Page

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Thursday night in Toronto, I had the pleasure of seeing Siberia, This Will Destroy You, and Lymbyc Systym at El Mocambo. It was a nice venue with couches around the walls of the club, little tables and chairs set up throughout. Most places had a nice view of the stage, however there were some pillars that could obstruct your view if you were unlucky.

There was a mildly good turn out for the show, definitely more than 50 people were there. El Mocambo probably could hold at least 300 to 400 while still allowing breathing room so it was by no means packed. Everyone seemed to be pretty into the music and excited.

Siberia opened things up and did a respectable job. I had never heard them before, so I was not sure what to expect. They are what appears to be a post-rock band from Toronto. I say appears to be because the genre of post-rock has become so clouded that almost any type of instrumental music could be thrown in there. Anyways, they were very EitS-esque, which is not a bad thing, they were just not all that original. I enjoyed their set regardless.

Next up was my favorite, This Will Destroy You. I had been dying to see these guys ever since I first heard them last year. In fact, I believe I started listening to them due to a recommendation in this thread. They were why I traveled to Toronto and they did not disappoint me in the slightest. They played an excellent set, hitting my top 5 favorite songs. Here's the setlist:

1. A Three-Legged Workhorse
2. Threads
3. The World is Our ____
4. Burial on the Presidio Banks
5. There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease

Unfortunately, the lead guitarist broke a string during Burial on the Presidio Banks, making it sound a little awkward, but they made due and marched on. I could not have been more pleased. I spoke with the guys both before and after the show and they were nice and really appreciative of the support of all of their fans. Also, their shirts are just awesome.

Finally, Lymbyc Systym was up to close out the show. I had only heard one song by them before, but I liked it quite a bit. Turns out, even that song didn't matter because they played what they said was mostly new material. The next time they mention that they should say that it's mostly awesome new material, because their set was incredible. I did not know 2 guys could produce such energetic music. The drummer in particular was just all over the place and completely pumped up. They left me wanting so much more.

All in all, it was a wonderful show at El Mocambo. I hope to go back to Toronto soon. I believe Ratatat will be playing there in October so if I can get tickets, I will be there.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

JaWs posted:

Thursday night in Toronto, I had the pleasure of seeing Siberia, This Will Destroy You, and Lymbyc Systym at El Mocambo.

drat it, I didn't know TWDY was playing that show. Seven bucks would have been a steal. I caught the end of Lymbyc System's set when they opened for the Album Leaf (who sucked, by the way); what I heard was pretty enjoyable.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Also, Doi's Sing The Boy Electric

http://www.myspace.com/doimusic

Any recommendations?

Since when does anyone think shoegaze when they hear Doi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

Since when does anyone think shoegaze when they hear Doi?

Honestly, I found Doi looking for new 'shoegaze' bands though it seems hardly related.

Speaking of nongaze bands remember that 90's hit "Steal my Sunshine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCRPrEAVxU

Apparently that band, Len, started off with shoegazer influences. This is the only video evidence I could find but apparently their first record was hugely influenced by MBV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgq_BLTdBs

Go figure.