Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Slothophile posted:

Just be aware that if they're used they tend to mold to the shape of the car a bit so make sure you do a test fitting before you buy it.

They do what now? I've never heard of this. I put a 90 on my 97 and it fit fine. My friend bought a parts car for the hardtop and didn't have any issues...

All the latches are very adjustable incase something is lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phatty Slayer posted:

A flat black paint job to man it up a bit
Carbon fiber hard top for the crap winters here (and additional awesomeness)
There's a group buy going on over at clubroadster.net, if I recall correctly. Also postin' this because these rims are :swoon:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Slothophile posted:

Just be aware that if they're used they tend to mold to the shape of the car a bit so make sure you do a test fitting before you buy it.

My '99 has a '94 top on it; it required less adjustment than the soft top that came with it, and it's more snug/waterproof. In hotter areas, maybe this is more of a concern due to heat warping?

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

FluffGrenade posted:

My '99 has a '94 top on it; it required less adjustment than the soft top that came with it, and it's more snug/waterproof. In hotter areas, maybe this is more of a concern due to heat warping?

I think it's a reasonably infrequent problem, but as each miata is different sometimes a top that has been on a car for a while that's significantly different to yours it can be a pain to fit.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Slothophile posted:

I think it's a reasonably infrequent problem, but as each miata is different sometimes a top that has been on a car for a while that's significantly different to yours it can be a pain to fit.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Tops I've heard yes. But never hardtops.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
can we get a picture of the screw with a dime or quarter to reference it to? it could be from the front bar, but the size of the washer makes me think that its possibly from the cable tensioner.

juche sasang
Sep 11, 2001

Atheists don't believe in God. They believe in the power of human reason and worship the internal combustion engine and Pentium processors
I'm looking at a used NC Limited, is there any specific issues I should look for when I inspect it?

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Not sure if they were affected but my 06 GT has:

brake creaking issues
top latch rattle
drain plug where the top folds into may get clogged and will get your floor wet
poor AM radio reception

Nothing major mechanically as far as I can tell and I'm at 26000 miles on mine. I read that the spec racers were breaking a shifter fork or something but I'm not sure that'll affect you as I don't know how you drive.

Also, I'm getting out of the Miata business. Needs me some trunk and passenger space.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

azzenco posted:

drain plug where the top folds into may get clogged and will get your floor wet

Take it to a dealer and have it fixed under warranty. It's a common problem and they'll install a "drain kit", which replaces a valve and some tubing.

My '06 is also having a number of minor issues, without any real problems:
  • Shifter cap fell off, I glued it back on with superglue
  • Both wipers have had the rubber detach starting at the tips. Superglue
  • The air dam's hinges are in bad condition, with one of them ripped completely. I can still get it to go up and down with some trouble and cracking
  • Trunk leak, flooding, and accompanying horrible smell. Fixed under warranty. Carpet was cleaned, but is still in multiple pieces.
  • Mystery latch screw, from the last page

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

My project for this weekend. And finding where my a/c leaked out from...

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

FireTora posted:

My project for this weekend. And finding where my a/c leaked out from...

What's that?

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Looks like sound deadener.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

goml23 posted:

Looks like sound deadener.

Indeed it is. 62.5 sqft of it.

juche sasang
Sep 11, 2001

Atheists don't believe in God. They believe in the power of human reason and worship the internal combustion engine and Pentium processors
Thanks guys, I'll check out that stuff on Monday. It's at a Mazda dealer so hopefully they can do the drain kit cheap if it is an issue.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

juche sasang posted:

I'm looking at a used NC Limited, is there any specific issues I should look for when I inspect it?

Only trouble I've had with my '06 Limited is it needed an adjustment for the passenger airbag sensor. However, see if it has the latch rattle with the top up. The other common issue is the gas cap throwing a CEL, but it may have already been taken care of (replacement cap) depending on the mileage.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Goons, how bad of an idea do you think this is?
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/795351562.html

I've been looking for a very cheap car to track on the weekends, and probably DD a month or two at a time. I've got another car if it breaks down, so that part isn't a worry.
I've got no problem doing a repaint if the paint is really that bad (I've wanted to try the rustoleum paintjob for a long time and this would be perfect), but how much trouble could I get into with the mechanicals? How expensive are parts, and are there any particular problem areas?

If it's really all that rusty, I'll be perfectly happy as long as it lasts 3-4 years before falling apart.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got no problem doing a repaint if the paint is really that bad (I've wanted to try the rustoleum paintjob for a long time and this would be perfect), but how much trouble could I get into with the mechanicals? How expensive are parts, and are there any particular problem areas?
You can routinely find engines/transmissions in good shape for $300-$400 thanks to part interchange between a ton of other Mazda/Kia/Ford models. The 93 has the long-nose crank so it's not susceptible to crank wear like the 90-91's.

Long story short: Everything is cheap, maintenance is easy. The only thing I can think of offhand is that the oil filter is annoying.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Goons, how bad of an idea do you think this is?
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/795351562.html

I've been looking for a very cheap car to track on the weekends, and probably DD a month or two at a time. I've got another car if it breaks down, so that part isn't a worry.

If it's really all that rusty, I'll be perfectly happy as long as it lasts 3-4 years before falling apart.

Judging from the engine bay picture he hasn't replaced poo poo. But for ~500 bucks in parts cost you can replace the water pump, timing belt and all the related gaskets and coolant hoses, and probably get a new radiator and replace the drive train fluids. And then the motor should last you a very long time.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FireTora posted:

Judging from the engine bay picture he hasn't replaced poo poo. But for ~500 bucks in parts cost you can replace the water pump, timing belt and all the related gaskets and coolant hoses, and probably get a new radiator and replace the drive train fluids. And then the motor should last you a very long time.
I'd say you could manage that for ~300, I got my timing belt, water pump, assorted gaskets and seals for $90 shipped from ebay (and they're proper oem parts too).

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

destructo posted:

I'd say you could manage that for ~300, I got my timing belt, water pump, assorted gaskets and seals for $90 shipped from ebay (and they're proper oem parts too).

Probably, I don't remember what I spent since I bought ~1k in stuff around the same time as the timing belt poo poo. New tires, rotors and pads which ran me like 500-600. Protip, PBR(axxis) ultimate pads are like $70 shipped from getcoolparts.com

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Q: Dudes with rollbars, I need one that's going to clear my hardtop. I want the cheapest bar that's going to save me when I finally find the limit of my tires. Hard Dog or Boss Frog? Is there another third party?

Opinions?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

destructo posted:

Q: Dudes with rollbars, I need one that's going to clear my hardtop. I want the cheapest bar that's going to save me when I finally find the limit of my tires. Hard Dog or Boss Frog? Is there another third party?

Opinions?

I have the M1 hard core hardtop one, definitely not the cheapest, but it came with the car so I'm not complaining. The cheapest decent one looks to be the hard dog ace with no diagonals or harness bar. One low monthly payment of $325+shipping.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Not something to be cheap on. 3 Miatas, 3 hard core dual diagonals.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

iscariot posted:

Not something to be cheap on. 3 Miatas, 3 hard core dual diagonals.

Aren't you cheaping out by not having a full cage then? There's a line to choose for everything.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

ChiliMac posted:

Aren't you cheaping out by not having a full cage then? There's a line to choose for everything.

Not if he's driving it on the street.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
My baby has come a long way ...
Still running as smooth as a qeen in slippers made of silk

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

destructo posted:

You can routinely find engines/transmissions in good shape for $300-$400 thanks to part interchange between a ton of other Mazda/Kia/Ford models. The 93 has the long-nose crank so it's not susceptible to crank wear like the 90-91's.

Long story short: Everything is cheap, maintenance is easy. The only thing I can think of offhand is that the oil filter is annoying.

Thanks for the help guys.
One more question, are there any particular areas that are prone to rust?
I'm continuing to look just in case I find a better deal on a car, but I plan on driving down to take a look at the previously linked car to drive it/see if I fit in a miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Driver side rocker panel seems to be a problem area.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Driver side rocker panel seems to be a problem area.

Its both sides. Mine has a really bad passenger rear rocker.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
What is this and why is it in my intake tube? When I look at pictures of stock engine bays, I don't see this thing. Did the PO do an rear end in a top hat thing?

In the intake tube:

The black and orange wires become red and black:

And disappear out the back of the bay:

Also, for anyone who cares, the Mazda Genuine Touch-Up Paint looks ok on small scratches or chips, but on large areas of flaked-off paint, it's no good.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

GoblinBomb posted:

What is this and why is it in my intake tube? When I look at pictures of stock engine bays, I don't see this thing. Did the PO do an rear end in a top hat thing?

Probably an air temp sensor of some sort. You should get under the dash and look where the wires go and what new surprises lie in wait for you.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

I noticed that the NC's 2L engine is rated at 166 HP in the US, while europe's version is rated at 160 and Australia's is rated at 158. Does anyone know why that is? Do they use a more restrictive exhaust or different tune to comply with emissions or something? Or is it down to the way it's measured?

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 30, 2008

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

joey deere posted:

I noticed that the NC's 2L engine is rated at 166 HP in the US, while europe's version is rated at 160 and Australia's is rated at 158. Does anyone know why that is? Do they use a more restrictive exhaust or different tune to comply with emissions or something? Or is it down to the way it's measured?

I know that Americans measure the engine horse power without the drivetrain, and the Europeans measure the wheel horse power.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mo Hawk posted:

I know that Americans measure the engine horse power without the drivetrain, and the Europeans measure the wheel horse power.

If Miatas had a 6HP drivetrain loss I'd be mighty pleased.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

My lugnuts rusted out and I want to replace them. Is there anything I should know? Can I do it with just a socket set, one at a time? How will I know when they're torqued enough? Would black nuts on silver wheels look stupid?

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001

GoblinBomb posted:

In the intake tube:

Hehehehe... Your car used to be megasquirted.

GM AIT sensor. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/open-element-iat-sensor-with-pigtail-p-62.html

I installed the same sensor on mine. Air Intake Temperature sensor.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

azzenco posted:

top latch rattle
There's a TSB for this, and the brake creak.

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 31, 2008

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Dominoes posted:

My lugnuts rusted out and I want to replace them. Is there anything I should know?

Yes :v:

Dominoes posted:

Can I do it with just a socket set, one at a time?

Basically.

Dominoes posted:

How will I know when they're torqued enough?

With a torque wrench. This question disturbs me a bit, though; you may want to have a shop do this if you don't know how tight your lugnuts should be.

Dominoes posted:

Would black nuts on silver wheels look stupid?

Not at all. Don't just spraypaint yours, though.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Oops. Third lap out at Pocono North I had an encounter with the Nextel sign. Unfortunately, it was attached to the wall :(.

Hammered out a few dents and fixed the alignment to get back on track the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

iscariot posted:

Hehehehe... Your car used to be megasquirted.

Sonnuvabitch. I wonder what other secrets this car holds for me.