Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

ShadowCatboy posted:

How much in terms of volume does a single bunny eat in a week? A bundle of celery and two carrots? A whole head of green lettuce?

I'm just trying to estimate food costs comparing this to what I see in the market.

As an aside: None of those is a great choice. Carrots are sugary, I give less than three baby carrots a week; carrot greens are very good. Celery has very little nutritional value. Green lettuce is OK but not ideal. Keep in mind that you want to offer as wide a variety as possible from this list.

Think about it in terms of 1-2 chopped cups per day. An average week for me (14 cups) would be made by mixing 2 heads of romaine, a bunch or two of parsley/cilantro, a bunch of dill, basil, or a whole anise root, a bunch of dandelion greens, a bunch of kale or spinach, some assorted loose greens (a few leaves of bok choy, green leaf, carrot tops) and a couple of green peppers. I give carrots and fruit (mostly apple or banana) a couple-three times a week only as treats.

Note that this is only for veggies. A rabbit will probably eat twice it's own body size in hay every day, too (loosely packed by volume not weight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I go through a lot of greens with my two but their digestive tracks can handle it; I wouldn't do this immediately with a bunny.

A big plastic bag full of radish, carrot and beet tops. 2 swiss chard bunches, 2 kale bunches, and maybe a collard bunch or some other combination of the above. It's going to run you about $15 a week if you're feeding your buns enough greens.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I had a bit of a bunny disaster recently. The seal failed on my water bottle apparently after I last filled it and it emptied in entirety (big bottle) onto the floor of the cage. Thankfully I have a waterproof plastic tub like thing under the cage so there was no damage there, but I had to rig up this contraption to dry the cage out and move the bunnies to the spare pen.

Wasn't fun, but I figured it was time to do some much needed remodeling anyways, So I went searching for a new litterbox, one with really high sides. I also got a new hay feeder (my craftsmanship just wasn't holding up) and once everything was dry I vacuumed a bit. So here is the new hay feeder(empty) + water bottle fail-safe. I'm keeping the water bottle barely full until I can be sure my seal repairs worked. If they don't I'm just going to run buy a new one.

You can really see the extent of the water damage on the tile and the box especially. I'm also going to put lots of hay in the litterbox, but I figure having the hay feeder so that they have to be standing on tile will be different enough from the litterbox that there wont be any confusion where the toilet is.
Here is Annie in her new munching/pooping fortress:

The height works out perfectly so I know Ben is going to love it (he loves protection from the hawks that apparently circle my room. They've also been chinning everything since they got back into their main cage it's so cute.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oy, seeing that makes me glad I only have one machine washable rug in the cage and a plastic litterbox.

Okay so my friends/flatmates got themselves a rabbit after seeing how much fun I was having with my rabbit. It's an adorable 7 week old (I think) mini rex girl who obviously hasn't been fixed yet but I was wondering if it could hurt to let the two hang out together on supervised playdates? Mine's a fixed 1 year old male. We've let them hang out for an hour yesterday and it was the cutest thing ever, she was following him around the house and imitating everything he does. I'm also amazed by how easygoing my rabbit is with other rabbits, he doesn't take any crap from humans but he seemed to take the younger rabbit's playful shoves and bites in stride like it was nothing. Oh and she started using the litterbox after seeing him use it so there's a good thing already.

I mean I figure we'd have to make less playdates when she gets closer to 4 months of age until she's been fixed for a month, but could it hurt to let them hang out together now?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith got out tonight for the second time (hence why I'm awake at 7am, jesus). For those of you using the make-a-bookshelf frames, what do you guys use to close/lock the door? I have one door that has zip ties on just one side so I can swing it open when I like, and he manages to shove it out of the connectors at the bottom. I'm currently using a hair clip to keep it closed now but I think this is less than ideal.

Zen will still have nothing to do with Frith and he's starting to get sulky back, so bonding sessions are worse. :( I tried pushing them together in a forced snuggle: it worked the first time, then Zen leaned over and attempted to hump Frith, he got a little peeved, and BOOM fur flying. Subsequent attempts have them wriggling away from each other immediately. :/

Are some bunnies just unbondable? Zen hasn't changed her behavior at ALL and it's been almost a week now. I know, I know, bonding can sometimes take months, but I hoped to see at least a glimmer of affection by now. Or at least tolerance.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

angelicism posted:

Frith got out tonight for the second time (hence why I'm awake at 7am, jesus). For those of you using the make-a-bookshelf frames, what do you guys use to close/lock the door?

I'm using a metal "dog leash" clip. I don't know what they're technically called. A D-clip would work the same, too. I got my clip in the hardware section of WalMart for $2.
It leaves a tiny gap between the door and frame, but they can't get out (Buster has tried...). Now when she gets excited, she grabs the door and rattles it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I use a small carabeiner for the lock to my cage. Infinitely re-useable and very secure. I have it attached to a zip tie so it precisely lines up and there's no play. The maximum gap while attached is like half an inch. You can see it in my first picture up a bit on the page.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

Frith got out tonight for the second time (hence why I'm awake at 7am, jesus). For those of you using the make-a-bookshelf frames, what do you guys use to close/lock the door? I have one door that has zip ties on just one side so I can swing it open when I like, and he manages to shove it out of the connectors at the bottom. I'm currently using a hair clip to keep it closed now but I think this is less than ideal.

Zen will still have nothing to do with Frith and he's starting to get sulky back, so bonding sessions are worse. :( I tried pushing them together in a forced snuggle: it worked the first time, then Zen leaned over and attempted to hump Frith, he got a little peeved, and BOOM fur flying. Subsequent attempts have them wriggling away from each other immediately. :/

Are some bunnies just unbondable? Zen hasn't changed her behavior at ALL and it's been almost a week now. I know, I know, bonding can sometimes take months, but I hoped to see at least a glimmer of affection by now. Or at least tolerance.

Mine litterally tried to kill each other for 2 months straight. I finally sent them to a friend, had her do the bonding at her house which was neutral territory, and brought them back to my new place (I had just moved). It's tricky, if there's a house rabbit chapter near you contact them and see if someone can help you. The lady that helped me has done literally 100's of bondings and has only had 3 fail.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
guys, I'm having a problem.

I don't think that I'm at a point in my life where I can take care of my rabbits the way that they need to be taken care of. I work really weird and long hours, live in a house that we just found out is basically infested with mice, don't have access to really nice hay and just can't take care of them as well as I used to be able to.

when I got them I lived in a small town and had time to do all sorts of awesome things with them including setting up areas all over the house for them to go to and hide in / play in. However, now that I live in a house on the second floor, they can't really leave my room and there isn't a lot for them to do.

right now we're at my parent's house so I can deal with the mice but I can't stop thinking that giving them away to someone who is much more able to care for them may be the best thing.

I need help with this :(

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

luscious posted:

guys, I'm having a problem.

I don't think that I'm at a point in my life where I can take care of my rabbits the way that they need to be taken care of. I work really weird and long hours, live in a house that we just found out is basically infested with mice, don't have access to really nice hay and just can't take care of them as well as I used to be able to.

when I got them I lived in a small town and had time to do all sorts of awesome things with them including setting up areas all over the house for them to go to and hide in / play in. However, now that I live in a house on the second floor, they can't really leave my room and there isn't a lot for them to do.

right now we're at my parent's house so I can deal with the mice but I can't stop thinking that giving them away to someone who is much more able to care for them may be the best thing.

I need help with this :(

Is moving an option? If they have each other that's probably enough in terms of company, why not just gradually train them to be freeroaming? Mine are, I don't have a cage, a play area, nothing. They just live in the house with me. I don't think that rabbits really require all this set up if you can get them ok with being free. It does take training however, most of them don't like it at first because they don't have a "house". You also have to bunny proof an entire house but mine really don't give a poo poo about chewing now that they have the run of the entire place.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Is moving an option? If they have each other that's probably enough in terms of company, why not just gradually train them to be freeroaming? Mine are, I don't have a cage, a play area, nothing. They just live in the house with me. I don't think that rabbits really require all this set up if you can get them ok with being free. It does take training however, most of them don't like it at first because they don't have a "house". You also have to bunny proof an entire house but mine really don't give a poo poo about chewing now that they have the run of the entire place.

they are free roaming and have all of my room to themselves. I have a huge cage set up for them and they are fully litter trained.
we are 5 months into a 1 year lease and while we would love to break it and move that's not an option :(

my main concern is that I don't have the time to give them the attention that they deserve. I give them carrot greens and parsley on a regular basis as well as their pellets and change their litter every other day but still - I don't think that I can continue on with them.

edit:

here's a picture of the devils:

this was actually their first real bonded moment. He's grown into his ears so much since then.

luscious fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 31, 2008

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a similar situation with my buns---last year they had free range of an entire house (when I moved, I did discover that unlike Mo, who never chewed on anything, Cowslip cut through a shitlot of wires, including THREE phone cords I thought he couldn't reach), and now they are in a three-story cage. Mo and Cowslip don't get much out-of-the-cage time, since I work two jobs, and when I come home at night, I try and take Mo out for bed play; he enjoys hopping around, getting brushed, and then stretching out on the bed like he owns it.

Cowslip, any time I try to remove him from the cage, he panics, and once did that rabbit scream of alarm, so I leave him alone. He does like being petted, but taken from the cage at all, and he tends to piss himself stupid. I can't see what bothers him so much!

I'm just super petrified of finding them another home; craigslist in Phoenix is full of rabbits in need of a home, most with a low to no rehoming fee, and there's a ton of large snake owners around. :(

What makes me feel very selfish is that before I moved, my mom knew an elderly couple who had lost their last rabbit, and they would have been happy to take my pair. I refused, because damnit, they're my buns, and I love them, and Mo had finally come out of his shell and was actively playing with me...

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm in a similar situation with my buns---last year they had free range of an entire house (when I moved, I did discover that unlike Mo, who never chewed on anything, Cowslip cut through a shitlot of wires, including THREE phone cords I thought he couldn't reach), and now they are in a three-story cage. Mo and Cowslip don't get much out-of-the-cage time, since I work two jobs, and when I come home at night, I try and take Mo out for bed play; he enjoys hopping around, getting brushed, and then stretching out on the bed like he owns it.

Cowslip, any time I try to remove him from the cage, he panics, and once did that rabbit scream of alarm, so I leave him alone. He does like being petted, but taken from the cage at all, and he tends to piss himself stupid. I can't see what bothers him so much!

I'm just super petrified of finding them another home; craigslist in Phoenix is full of rabbits in need of a home, most with a low to no rehoming fee, and there's a ton of large snake owners around. :(

What makes me feel very selfish is that before I moved, my mom knew an elderly couple who had lost their last rabbit, and they would have been happy to take my pair. I refused, because damnit, they're my buns, and I love them, and Mo had finally come out of his shell and was actively playing with me...

mine too have become more destructive since we moved. As well, when before Bitsy would be really outgoing and would eave her cage a lot now she hardly does. It's to the point that I have to put their food and water and all their toys directly in the cage because she only likes putting her two front paws out of the cage.

Paterson has come out of his shell so much since I got him... he lets us pet him and is so loving.

the same thing is happening with me with craigslist. I want to KNOW that who I give them to is going to be the biggest bun lover in the world.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I was about to move from the zoo, my boss offered to take the rabbits from me for a Peter Rabbit display in the small mammal building. I turned him down....come to find out later that he picked up 2 female buns for the exhibit, and they were fed to some snakes in the reptile building when the room was needed.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember when I was about to move from the zoo, my boss offered to take the rabbits from me for a Peter Rabbit display in the small mammal building. I turned him down....come to find out later that he picked up 2 female buns for the exhibit, and they were fed to some snakes in the reptile building when the room was needed.

that's one of the reasons why I don't want to give mine away :(

Mow
Jun 11, 2008
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with something. I just adopted another rabbit to bond with my male mini rex and I was hoping you could help me identify her breeds. I was told she is an angora cross of some sort, but I'm fairly curious about the secondary breed, as well as them being correct about the angora. She looks very brown in this particular photo, but she's actually more of a soft grey. I present to you, Trudy:

Bonus pic of blobby Bun Bun

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Looking for some advice on introducing a cat and rabbit.

The rabbit is mine and I've had him for years. He's completely free range (doesn't like cages and I don't have any problems with him doing his thing) and he's set up now in my apartment.

My girlfriend recently moved out to go to school in Baltimore, and so now has her own apartment there and just got a cat. I went along with this because from what I know, cats and rabbits can get along quite well.

So, the issue is that when I visit on weekends, I take my rabbit with me because I don't have anyone to feed and take care of him when I'm out of town for several days. So we have a situation where we need to introduce the two of them, but it's in a place that isn't really familiar to either rabbit or cat. The rabbit has gotten a little more used to the other apartment so far, but I'm somewhat worried about the situation being too stressful.

The cat is young (4 months, I think?) and pretty low key for a cat that age. Is pretty sweet, and was picked largely because of that personality.

So that's kind of the situation...right now, the cat can be put in the bathroom to make sure there are no problems, but in terms of introducing them...I don't really have a cage or pen that I can set up to facilitate them seeing and meeting each other, which seems to be a typical method used. I'm wondering if I should spring for an open pen to use in this way? Or has anyone socialized rabbits and cats using other methods?

The trickiest part of this is that during the week, they'll be in separate apartments, and on weekends is when they would be in the same area. So I'm not sure if that will ultimately be enough time to socialize them very well. We might try leaving the rabbit at my girlfriends place for a week to help with that (and keep the cat separated from the rabbit except when supervised). Bringing the cat to my place (where the rabbit is more comfortable) isn't really feasible because my landlords are allergic to cats.

This post is rather disjointed and all, but at any rate, does anyone have some tips and advice on this? We'll probably be moving back in together in 9 months, so if it's too hard to properly socialize them at the moment, we can probably deal with it until the time comes when we can get a new apartment and have them together more often.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Mow posted:

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with something. I just adopted another rabbit to bond with my male mini rex and I was hoping you could help me identify her breeds. I was told she is an angora cross of some sort, but I'm fairly curious about the secondary breed, as well as them being correct about the angora. She looks very brown in this particular photo, but she's actually more of a soft grey. I present to you, Trudy:

The tattoo in her ear makes me wonder if she's not a full angora. How old is she?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Mow posted:

Trudy:

Jersey Wooly... My girlfriend says that that was an easy identify.

My girlfriend judges and has many years experience in rabbits. We have like 75 or so Mini-Rex.

A tattoo in the ear is a sure sign that it's purebred. We use that to identify rabbits at home and on the show table.

This is the Nat'l Jersey Wooly Rabbit Club website... http://www.njwrc.net/varietypics.htm
There are photos of this breed and the recognized varieties.

This is the American Rabbit Breeders Assoc. website... http://arba.net/Breeds.htm#r
This is a link to the Breed Photos and you'll see that since it has wool and a dwarf-like appearance that it's a Jersey Wooly. Not sure what color though!

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 1, 2008

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

luscious posted:

that's one of the reasons why I don't want to give mine away :(

I'm really sorry you're in this situation. If you are really feeling like you can no longer care for them then try your best to find them a good home. Interview people, make them sign a contract or whatever makes you feel comfortable. There are probably rescues in your area as well; you should contact them and put your buns on the list. They usually have a few month waiting period. Also contact your local chapter of the house rabbit society.

Mow
Jun 11, 2008
The tattoo in her ear was actually given to her by the shelter, so I wouldn't be so sure she's purebred. Trudy's about 2-4 years old according to the shelter but they really couldn't be positive. Jersey Wooly looks right I think, like you said with the dwarf-like appearance. Thanks a lot for all the input! I'm not very good with my rabbit breeds so I guess I'll have to study up :)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bunway Airlines posted:

I'm really sorry you're in this situation. If you are really feeling like you can no longer care for them then try your best to find them a good home. Interview people, make them sign a contract or whatever makes you feel comfortable. There are probably rescues in your area as well; you should contact them and put your buns on the list. They usually have a few month waiting period. Also contact your local chapter of the house rabbit society.

I was looking at the local rabbit society, but it's somewhat a sad situation when the rabbits they had up for adoption over a year ago are still there, listed on their web page. Of course, these are also the same people who refused to let me adopt a male fixed rabbit, when Mo was neutered already.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Cowslips Warren posted:

I was looking at the local rabbit society, but it's somewhat a sad situation when the rabbits they had up for adoption over a year ago are still there, listed on their web page. Of course, these are also the same people who refused to let me adopt a male fixed rabbit, when Mo was neutered already.

Yeah, some chapters can be a little over the top, but at the end of the day I think it's better to find the rabbit a home where they will be cared for (by a crazy rabbit lady) than to risk it with zoos, etc :(

Also, I find that a lot of animal non-profits have this mysterious problem with updating their websites on a regular basis. I don't know what it is...they need to hire a college student to update them or something.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Huh, I see there's other people who have run into a similar situation to mine. I just moved back into my dad's house. Initially it was going to be temporary (I couldn't find a place before my old lease was up) but I like the idea of saving lots of money and not having to live with retarded roommates. The problem is my dad refuses to let them run around the room. I mean it's understandable, he did all the work on it himself, but some days I leave before it's light and get home after it's dark. Other days I can let them run around a pen in the yard supervised, but they were completely free-range at my old place, only using their cage to poop and eat hay. On the upside, they seem to have gotten much neater with their litterbox habits. Is this going to be too restricting for them? It's a big cage, but obviously it can't compare. I let them hop about the room sometimes if I'm keeping a close eye, but I know it's not the same. They were so spoiled before...

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Huh, I see there's other people who have run into a similar situation to mine. I just moved back into my dad's house. Initially it was going to be temporary (I couldn't find a place before my old lease was up) but I like the idea of saving lots of money and not having to live with retarded roommates. The problem is my dad refuses to let them run around the room. I mean it's understandable, he did all the work on it himself, but some days I leave before it's light and get home after it's dark. Other days I can let them run around a pen in the yard supervised, but they were completely free-range at my old place, only using their cage to poop and eat hay. On the upside, they seem to have gotten much neater with their litterbox habits. Is this going to be too restricting for them? It's a big cage, but obviously it can't compare. I let them hop about the room sometimes if I'm keeping a close eye, but I know it's not the same. They were so spoiled before...

We let Milly more or less freerun at our old apartment, and part of the agreement on letting us have her at the new one was that she wasn't allowed to freeroam (plus she is a horrible chewer and we can't trust her now anyway). I just built a pretty big cage (something like 4.5x6.5x5). To supplement that I took a bunch of wire cubes, made several blocks 2 cubes high and attached them all together to make a playpen. It folds up small enough to fit behind the fridge and is big enough to at least double their space. If you have a problem with them jumping out and you want to leave it up while you're gone you could just always put a sheet/clothespins on top.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Word to the wise for anyone else with a littler rabbit.

I just finished making a cube cage, two levels, for our bunny Sprout. She's a mini-rex and right now in a smaller cage in our bedroom, but I wanted something larger for in the computer room when I'm doing work and I'd like her to get some exercise. Looked all good!

And then she squeezed her head through the square holes and almost broke her neck wiggling around before I nudged her back in and got her rear end back in the normal cage. With the target brand there's larger holes and smaller holes, and the larger holes are just big enough to get her head through and freak out. She's 2.8 pounds and 3 months, but for now I had to double up some sections with the smaller holed sections as well as add cardboard walls from the box for now to block her from doing it again. Thank god I was there watching her instead of just tossing her in :smith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
GAH!

I was petting Mo today (finally got him out of the cage, he was running whenever I'd crack it open) and the inside of his left ear is cracked and PINK. I don't see any mites, but I did see him shake Cowslip away from cleaning it. What the hell usually causes pink rawness, all scratched up, on the inside of bunny ears???

Speed edit: Cowslip's ears are both fine.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

No idea about the ear issue cowslip, hope everything turns out ok. I saw this link on cuteoverload (its fun, ok?) and I wanted to share it with you fellow bun-lovers:
http://busterjourney.blogspot.com/

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Deceptor101 posted:

No idea about the ear issue cowslip, hope everything turns out ok. I saw this link on cuteoverload (its fun, ok?) and I wanted to share it with you fellow bun-lovers:
http://busterjourney.blogspot.com/

I saw that today and I nearly died of, well, cute overload. I remember when Zen was that tiny.

She's just big-furred now. Is what I keep telling her. :D Frith... Frith is just dumpy. There's no two ways about that.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Lately I've been a little worried our buns aren't eating enough hay. I'm kind of paranoid that they're just sitting on what we put in the box and flattening it out (maybe this is silly I don't know, but it always still seems like there's still a lot in there when I put more in, just flattened out). I started trying to think of good ways to feed them hay in the box without putting it in the box so I can gauge what they're doing a little better.

I've read about people putting in hay feeders in cube cages, just putting another cube in angled and stuffing it with hay. I've also read that they have problems sometimes getting the hay out (I think someone even mentioned that a few pages back). Another tub doesn't seem like much of an option, they'd probably just turn it into another box or Milly would destroy it. Any suggestions?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

GoodApollo posted:

good ways to feed them hay in the box without putting it in the box

Take a trip down to the hardware store, to the section where they sell closet, kitchen, and bathroom organization stuff. There's a huge variety of baskety-type things you can use. This has small holes in front, larger holes on the sides, and slides nicely over a grid above the haybox. I have several of these, they hold a huge amount of hay, but the holes are so large that I wouldn't recommend them for smaller size rabbits. These are cheap and work well, but don't hold enough for a pair to survive the day on, so you'd want to get 2-3.

You do need to be mindful of your rabbit's size, and choose your product accordingly, to be sure they don't get their heads/whole bodies stuck inside.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

GoodApollo posted:

Lately I've been a little worried our buns aren't eating enough hay. I'm kind of paranoid that they're just sitting on what we put in the box and flattening it out (maybe this is silly I don't know, but it always still seems like there's still a lot in there when I put more in, just flattened out). I started trying to think of good ways to feed them hay in the box without putting it in the box so I can gauge what they're doing a little better.

You could borrow my female for a couple of weeks. When they bonded, she convinced my male that hay isn't so bad. So now he eats mostly hay instead of being a spoiled prick.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
Does anyone know how to professionally trim a Lionhead? She's got MM genes. Massive Mane. It's like a bedskirt around her lower body, all over her butt, back legs, chest, face, and ears. And she drags shredded paper and hay every time she leaves her litter box.

It starts to lock and dread, even though I brush her every other day. Although I'd like to make her look show ready, it's not just for looks: I don't want the fur to block her digestive track.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Score one for EAR MITES!!!!!!

And $250 dollars later, a vet check and ear cleaning for Momiji, and medicine for him and Cowslip (Cowslip did NOT appreciate me putting drops in his ears, much less the mite medication). I was so so drat happy it was under $300, but the vet tech looked kinda worried when she told me the price.

Maybe because on the paperwork I filled out, there's a section where you mark off Child/Family Member/Pet. I marked off Pet, even though Mo is a family member, but he's a pet as well, and AS a pet, he's entitled to me fully, and I am wholly responsible for him. A family member you can leave in a nursing home.

Funny thing was that Mo was very friendly to everyone, not even peeing on the vet table, and when I'd close his carrier door, not latching it, he'd push it open again and look around for pets.

And to think, all this time I thought a rabbit grinding his teeth softly meant he was happy. :( Feel free to crucify me, PI....the vet said that's the sound a rabbit makes when he's in pain. So this has been going on for a while, and I thought Mo LIKED me petting and rubbing his ears and head. :( He never pulled away!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

One of the handlers from the shelter I got Frith at is coming to visit tomorrow to help me with a bonding session with Frith and Zen! Crossing my fingers (they haven't had a session in a few days, she suggested giving them a break after the last two have resulted in casualties -- me included). At the very least hopefully she can make me less depressed about the poor progress.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

And to think, all this time I thought a rabbit grinding his teeth softly meant he was happy. :( Feel free to crucify me, PI....the vet said that's the sound a rabbit makes when he's in pain. So this has been going on for a while, and I thought Mo LIKED me petting and rubbing his ears and head. :( He never pulled away!

is there a difference between the tooth clicking and teeth grinding? Bitsy clicks her teeth when I pet her but she also nudges my hand so I think she likes it. Now I'm concerned!

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a circumstantial thing. It can a happy/purring sound, but if they're doing it a lot in conjunction with other things (drooling for instance) then it's something you need to check out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe because on the paperwork I filled out, there's a section where you mark off Child/Family Member/Pet. I marked off Pet, even though Mo is a family member, but he's a pet as well, and AS a pet, he's entitled to me fully, and I am wholly responsible for him. A family member you can leave in a nursing home.

Ive never seen this before and I guess I dont understand. Do they treat them differently by what you consider your animal?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

GoodApollo posted:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a circumstantial thing. It can a happy/purring sound, but if they're doing it a lot in conjunction with other things (drooling for instance) then it's something you need to check out.

Yep, you've got it.

It's definitely similar to purring in cats. Purring is most often associated with happiness, but it can also occur when cats are stressed or in pain- some purr at the vet, most purr when giving birth, etc.

So it's really not that reliable of a signal on its own. Most people are able to tell the difference between signs that an animal is in pain vs. when it's happy. Grinding their teeth while ignoring food and seeking isolation? Probably not good. Grinding their teeth while shoving their face into your hand repeatedly? Probably pretty happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pipkin posted:

Ive never seen this before and I guess I dont understand. Do they treat them differently by what you consider your animal?

No, but I guess the staff thinks if you don't mark down that your pet is your babychild, you won't opt for the most care.

EDIT: I realize I need to ask the vet too, but aren't ear mites species specific? I've checked my cats and dogs and don't see any signs of infection there.