Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Honestly, I found Doi looking for new 'shoegaze' bands though it seems hardly related.

Speaking of nongaze bands remember that 90's hit "Steal my Sunshine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCRPrEAVxU

Apparently that band, Len, started off with shoegazer influences. This is the only video evidence I could find but apparently their first record was hugely influenced by MBV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgq_BLTdBs

Go figure.

I think we all recall Len. That was the single of the 90s. Marc "The Burger Pimp" Costanzo and his sister Sharon are geniuses. Some one should probably sponsor a super tour featuring Len, Gin Blossoms and Third Eye Blind.

Edit: Seriously though, brothers and sisters shouldn't be that close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danneh
Jan 3, 2007

If Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch.

JaWs posted:

Next up was my favorite, This Will Destroy You. I had been dying to see these guys ever since I first heard them last year. In fact, I believe I started listening to them due to a recommendation in this thread. They were why I traveled to Toronto and they did not disappoint me in the slightest. They played an excellent set, hitting my top 5 favorite songs. Here's the setlist:

1. A Three-Legged Workhorse
2. Threads
3. The World is Our ____
4. Burial on the Presidio Banks
5. There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease

I'm going to see TWDY in October at Camden, London, and now I've seen that setlist, I'm ridiculously pumped. Hopefully they stick to it, they're one of my favourite bands (deffo my fav post-rock) and if I can get the chance to meet them as well, I have the feeling its going to be one of the best nights of my life. Looking forward to Lymbyc System as well, though it says they're supporting as opposed to playing after TWDY. Either way, bring it on.

Haven't posted in this thread yet, so thought I'd chime in a few bands I can't get enough of recently. Sorry if some have already been posted:

Envy
(http://www.myspace.com/officialenvy)
A weird combo of post-rock/screamo, Envy are a five-piece from Tokyo. One of the main things setting them apart from other post-rock bands is, as you probably guessed, a screamer. The music itself is amazing regardless, and while the screaming is a bit odd, its certainly not out of place.
Recommend:
A Road Of Winds the Water Builds (this has recently solidified itself as one of my favourite songs)
Further Ahead Of Warp
Go Mad And Mark

Saxon Shore
(http://www.myspace.com/saxonshore)
While not really bringing anything new to the table, Saxon Shore are more ambient than most other post-rock (much like The Album Leaf). There are still big dynamic buildups, but I find myself preferring the music before they get to the climax. Still very much worth a listen.
Recommend:
This Place
Nothing Changes
Thanks For Being Away

upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start
(http://www.myspace.com/upcdownc)
Upcdownc aren't really that stand out compared to everyone else, the only reason I mention them are they're from Kent (where I'll soon be living) and one of their songs (Murmurs pt2) is absolutely incredible, and is (IMO) definitely one of the best post-rock songs around.

And although these guys aren't post-rock, I think they deserve a mention:

Dead Rat Orchestra
(http://www.myspace.com/deadratorchestra)
My old college teacher, Dan Merrill's band. While they have no traditional post-rock instrumentation, they remind me very much of Godspeed (they're on very good terms with Efrim Menuck and have supported A Silver Mt. Zion a few times) in that their songs can be very beautiful in a haunting way. A purely live band, however, since all their music is improvised on the spot as well, so you can always expect something different. As an example, during one gig the rhythm section was Nathaniel and Robin sawing through a tree-log.

Hope this thread continues strong, post-rock's my favourite genre and this thread is amazing for picking up new artists.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Danneh posted:

I'm going to see TWDY in October at Camden, London, and now I've seen that setlist, I'm ridiculously pumped. Hopefully they stick to it, they're one of my favourite bands (deffo my fav post-rock) and if I can get the chance to meet them as well, I have the feeling its going to be one of the best nights of my life. Looking forward to Lymbyc System as well, though it says they're supporting as opposed to playing after TWDY. Either way, bring it on.

You will not be disappointed, I promise.

Also, I don't know if Lymbyc Systym and TWDY will switch headlining spots overseas, but their sets were about the same in length so it's not really like you get less time with TWDY even if they aren't headlining. Oh, and their shirts are loving awesome. Seriously. If you like the album art for Young Mountain, they have it in shirt form, and it is just as awesome.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I saw TWDY tonight in Boston. I thought it was kind of dull. I've never been a super fan though, so take that as you may. They just felt kind of lifeless.

That Red Duck
May 3, 2005

The one that got away...

citizenlowell posted:

I saw TWDY tonight in Boston. I thought it was kind of dull. I've never been a super fan though, so take that as you may. They just felt kind of lifeless.

I saw TWDY in Detroit on the 10th and had the same reaction. The two opening bands (Metavari and Lymbyc System) were much more enjoyable, in my opinion. By the time TWDY took the stage, it was also close to 2am or so, and I was rather tired and just wasn't all that into it anymore. :(

Danneh
Jan 3, 2007

If Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch.
Yeah, I'm not really too fussed what order they play in, so long as its a good night overall. One of the main reasons I'm looking so forward to it is cause I've never been to a post-rock gig before, so its a completely new gig-atmosphere for me as well.

If they do the Young Mountain T-shirt as well, I'll definitely be getting one. Is there any pics somewhere of the actual shirts themselves? I looked on their myspace, but it just shows the picture and not the actual shirt.

Also, looking at their gig-calender, it now says they'll be playing with mom, described as Electroacoustic Trance. I've listened to 'em for a few minutes and they sound alright. Not really post-rock, but still sounds good and refreshing.
http://www.myspace.com/qewmusic

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Danneh posted:

Yeah, I'm not really too fussed what order they play in, so long as its a good night overall. One of the main reasons I'm looking so forward to it is cause I've never been to a post-rock gig before, so its a completely new gig-atmosphere for me as well.

If they do the Young Mountain T-shirt as well, I'll definitely be getting one. Is there any pics somewhere of the actual shirts themselves? I looked on their myspace, but it just shows the picture and not the actual shirt.

Also, looking at their gig-calender, it now says they'll be playing with mom, described as Electroacoustic Trance. I've listened to 'em for a few minutes and they sound alright. Not really post-rock, but still sounds good and refreshing.

I can take a pic for you today if I can find some time.

Also, with the comments about TWDY being lifeless, I certainly saw a little bit of that, and they were not nearly as energetic as Lymbyc Systym, but I still enjoyed it greatly. However, I am a bit biased.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Danneh posted:

I'm gonna see mom tonight because they're playing with Good Day For An Airstrike, who are friends of mine.

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
yo im going with this girl on friday to see sigur ros, i listned to a couple tracks i guess they were hot but like what is acceptable behavior at this type of show? can i talk? shall we drink wine? I dunno i dont wanna be rude and blow my chances with this girl but it seems a show like this would be boring as gently caress. please advise

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

yo im going with this girl on friday to see sigur ros, i listned to a couple tracks i guess they were hot but like what is acceptable behavior at this type of show? can i talk? shall we drink wine? I dunno i dont wanna be rude and blow my chances with this girl but it seems a show like this would be boring as gently caress. please advise

Don't worry man - they're like a ska band but with a lot of reverb. It's right up your alley

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
dude i live right near you so if you want to stop loving around and act like a man then step up. dont bring this poo poo on the forums its mad childish.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

dude i live right near you so if you want to stop loving around and act like a man then step up. dont bring this poo poo on the forums its mad childish.

Stop frontin turtle fan - Sigur is the mad poo poo they build up and up and have incomprehensible lyrics like Cedric from the Volta.

Best settle and save up some dough so you can treat your skank to a 9 dollar beer at the pavilion. Stay gully

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
listen you middle east slumming piece of poo poo, put down your PBR long enough to put your dukes up irl and i will have it out with you, until then, stop trolling my threads or ima troll your life. one

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

AprilONeilsTits posted:

listen you middle east slumming piece of poo poo, put down your PBR long enough to put your dukes up irl and i will have it out with you, until then, stop trolling my threads or ima troll your life. one

Dear Sir,

I find your ironic musings on point. Perhaps you were join me for dinner and drinks at the Phoenix Landing at a mutually convenient time?

xoxo
Citizenlowell

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
that pheonix sauce is good yo. they also promote semi healthy eating. and is close by. tbh i'd rahter just eat AT the middle east go downstairs and beat this kids rear end in the pit. but tevs.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

AprilONeilsTits posted:

I'm pretty sure it will be better if you get plastered before the gig.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

poo poo, the phoenix is swank

you gon get laiiiid

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Saw gently caress Buttons and Mogwai last night here in DC. gently caress Buttons kinda played their songs on stage with little tweaking out, but it was pretty intense. Mogwai was what I expected - some loud parts and some quiet parts. It was a little long but they closed it out well. The 9:30 club didn't cool the place enough and the heat combined with the music made it pretty soporific.

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster

ShaneB posted:

Saw gently caress Buttons and Mogwai last night here in DC. gently caress Buttons kinda played their songs on stage with little tweaking out, but it was pretty intense. Mogwai was what I expected - some loud parts and some quiet parts. It was a little long but they closed it out well. The 9:30 club didn't cool the place enough and the heat combined with the music made it pretty soporific.

im going monday in boston like i said above could you help me out on how to act once there like do people talk during these kind of shows or what

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AprilONeilsTits posted:

im going monday in boston like i said above could you help me out on how to act once there like do people talk during these kind of shows or what

This isn't PHIZ, I won't respond to posts that don't use punctuation or capitalization.

poo poo I just did.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

I thought you said you were seeing Sigur Ros? They're playing Friday.

Mogwai is playing on Monday...are you seeing them instead?

If you're seeing Sigur Ros it will be at the Pavilion so get beers/drinks before the show. Bring a sweatshirt too since it's right next to the harbor and will get cold. Sigur can be very loud and quiet and I'm sure people will get pissy if you talk during the quiet parts. There's a little promenade/picnic area near the concessions where you can chill, talk and try to fingerbang your date.

Mogwai will be at the Wilbur theater which I have not been to but I do know it is a seated theater, which sucks. Mogwai is loud so bring earplugs. Just stand still the entire show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuuuck. I was gonna go see This Will Destroy You next Tuesday at Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge with some friends, but they canceled the show :smith:

I just found out.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Saw gently caress Buttons and Mogwai at the Starlight Ballroom in Philadelphia, PA on Friday night. The show was good, however I don't think I will travel 6 hours to see Mogwai play again. It was still worth it. They finished with Like Herod transitioning into Batcat. If you were at the show, I was the rear end in a top hat who screamed really loud when the first note of Batcat came through. I love that song.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Should be going to see Maybeshewill and TWDY in October (separate gigs).

I can't decide whether to see Olafur Arnalds again, or go see Mogwai. MOgwai is like a 2 hour drive, Olafur is 20 minutes. But I haven't seen Mogwai before.

Then Russian Circles in November :D

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If anyone hasn't grabbed The Fun Years new disc, you are missing out.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I can't decide whether to see Olafur Arnalds again, or go see Mogwai. MOgwai is like a 2 hour drive, Olafur is 20 minutes. But I haven't seen Mogwai before.

Then Russian Circles in November :D

Mogwai just canceled their remaining US/Canada tour dates due to Martin's pacemaker almost literally bursting from his chest. Sorry to all who won't get to see them because of this. :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Please report on Maybeshewill. Also, are you seeing them on the RockSound tour? If so, you'll love Her Name Is Calla too.

In fact, drat, I wanna go now! Liverpool date is closest for me.

JaWs posted:

Mogwai just canceled their remaining US/Canada tour dates due to Martin's pacemaker almost literally bursting from his chest. Sorry to all who won't get to see them because of this. :(

gently caress, I have tickets for their Manchester gig, I hope he's ok by then :(

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Speaking of Mogwai, is that Hawk Is Howling album any good? I can't find it anywhere.

On that note I'm looking for a bunch of recommendations for new post-rock, I used to listen to a bunch but haven't bothered with any new music in a while. Any recommendations that sound like DMST/Tortoise/Grails would be appreciated.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of Mogwai, is that Hawk Is Howling album any good? I can't find it anywhere.

On that note I'm looking for a bunch of recommendations for new post-rock, I used to listen to a bunch but haven't bothered with any new music in a while. Any recommendations that sound like DMST/Tortoise/Grails would be appreciated.

There's a new Grails floating around. That'd probably be a good place to start.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is it Burning off Impunities or whatever they came out with last year? That one was pretty good.

edit: Looks like they released stuff in May and are going to have something else out in October, sweet.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 23, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

JaWs posted:

I'm in the UK anyway, so it should be ok. But I still can't decide which to go to.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. I was gonna go see This Will Destroy You next Tuesday at Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge with some friends, but they canceled the show :smith:

I just found out.

I was planning on hitting that show up too, and I have no idea what happened. The promoter took the date of his site, then the date showed up with *CANCELLED* next to it on TWDY's myspace page. I sent them a message to see if they were going to make up the date, but they never responded.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is it Burning off Impunities or whatever they came out with last year? That one was pretty good.

edit: Looks like they released stuff in May and are going to have something else out in October, sweet.

I haven't heard the new one, Doomsdayer's Holiday, yet, but the EP from over the summer, Take Refuge in Clean Living is fantastic. These guys are getting better with each release and just cranking out the material. I hope they tour again soon.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

thehustler posted:

gently caress, I have tickets for their Manchester gig, I hope he's ok by then :(

It appears that it's just the US/Canada leg that's been nixed. They should be ready to go for their overseas stuff. Their website has more details.

As for whether or not The Hawk is Howling is any good, personally, I love it. It may be one of my favorite albums of theirs. I mean, I love all of their albums, but this one especially is really good to me. I suggest you check it out. Now.

SHOOT THE SPY DOG
Jul 2, 2008

by angerbotSD
It really sucks to hear about Mogwai cancelling the rest of their US tour. I really hope Martin is alright (he was doing well enough to post on their blog, so that's a good sign). That being said, I'm glad I got to see them before they had to bow out. I saw their show at Terminal 5 (where I work) last week, they were excellent as usual and the new tracks sounded great, Batcat in particular. Also met Stuart for a while afterwards, one of the most approachable musicians I've ever come across.

Other than that I haven't seen a lot of great post-rock shows in a while. Hoping Mono get back to the states sooner than later, I've seen them 3 times and have yet to be disappointed.

(Plus, I'm in their tour DVD :unsmith: )

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
saw sigur ros last week pretty amazing show they do a great job and manage to have hot iceland chicks at their show tall flawless blondes drat. saw some bitch crying during the set was kinda gay no offense.

mogwai got cancelled that was lame. drove all the way down to be turned away. story of my life.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004

gtOK posted:

(Plus, I'm in their tour DVD :unsmith: )

screenshot plz :smith:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just listened to Hawk is Howling and yeah it's really good. None of the songs felt like fillers and there were a lot of really cool moments where their music really came together for me. I'll definitely have to re-listen to it soon.

I haven't seen this recommended anywhere and it probably gets overlooked by a lot of post-rock fans but The Appleseed Cast's Low Level Owl I and II are both really great post-rock albums, definitely worth checking out.

AprilONeilsTits
Sep 7, 2008

by Fragmaster
i dont think you know what post rock is. appleseedcast lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

AprilONeilsTits posted:

i dont think you know what post rock is. appleseedcast lol

Pretty much everything they've done except for LLO isn't post-rock yeah but I'm guessing you haven't listened to LLO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHOOT THE SPY DOG
Jul 2, 2008

by angerbotSD

Beleg posted:

screenshot plz :smith:

Not got the DVD presently but if you've seen it there's one part with a girl putting paper cranes on the instruments and pedals. That's my girlfriend and I'm standing behind her with a friend.