Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Little Tortilla Boy
Dec 10, 2006
Arnold Schwarzenegger is...

Belldandy posted:

Can someone recommend a store that has good HDTV stands that is not Ikea?

I'm looking for something open and "minimal", like this:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p11146/index.cfm?pkey=cmedia%2Dstands%2Dflat%2Dscreen%2Ddisplay

But ideally I would like to have a back that I can mount the LCD on.

Target has some nice Pottery Barn looking stuff. I just picked up the Avington TV stand for $144 recently (looks like it's on sale again too), and it looks awesome. http://tinyurl.com/4og5lb for that exact stand, but check out their stuff, it's nice and pretty solid. A lot more solid than Ikea for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Belldandy posted:

I'm looking for something open and "minimal", like this:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p11146/index.cfm?pkey=cmedia%2Dstands%2Dflat%2Dscreen%2Ddisplay

But ideally I would like to have a back that I can mount the LCD on.

check costco and the tvstands.com as stated before. tvstands.com has probably the biggest selection

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let me also suggest netshops sites. Well actually I know nothing about them service wise, we just worked on them at my company as a client for marketing and they have over a hundred URLs for everything, including: http://www.buyentertainmentcenters.com/

The Majority of them are furniture sites, here is their list:
http://www.netshops.com/allstores.cfm

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Omegaslast posted:

well legdiann posted a cool setup so im gonna have to post my setup..

its the "never going to have a gf setup :cool:"

and yeah i know the center channels totally hosed, i need to get a longer tv mount arm, or get a new stand altogether. I want to buy an emotiva XPA-3 so im probably just gonna go with the new arm since it will only run me $80 or so.

Love the LS6's :) - I have a set of RS750's. My buddy "Drunkonjack" over at the AV123 forums has the LS6's as well. They're powered by a Parasound amp and they are 100% ridiculous in every way.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I had a little free time this weekend so I installed my 3 color LED rope light and roughed in the trim work around the cove. Sorry for the lovely photos, I will try and get some better ones and a video of lights in action tonight. Currently they are just running off a generic 8 pattern controller but I have purchased a DMX512 controller that I plan to control via Crestron/touchscreen. Also shown is my new Sanus SFC22 center channel stand. Still waiting on the OB1i mains :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Here is a video of the rope light fading through 3 colors. This controller sucks. The DMX controller allows 100 levels of brightness for each color, so technically like a million different combonations.

Click Here To See You Tube Video

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.

Belldandy posted:

I know you wanted something to mount the LCD on, but have you checked out WalMart? I know, quality and all that, but they have 1 or 2 okay stands if you're on a budget. I picked up a nice, minimal, open stand there for right at a hundred bucks. It isn't the nicest quality, but it's good enough and looks halfway decent. Also, a hundred bucks.

See (for reference, that's a 47" tv. Stand is 53" wide):

I'm not a great photographer, nor is my setup really work posting, but I just wanted to show the stand. I know, I need to clean up a little bit, heh.

Also:

UGAmazing fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 23, 2008

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
Caught a ride with the moon
This was a birthday present to me, mainly because it was such a giant PITA to cable everything together. It's Metro shelving with pegboard backing concealing the 100+ zip ties used to keep everything in place (more photos here).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Thessaly posted:

This was a birthday present to me, mainly because it was such a giant PITA to cable everything together. It's Metro shelving with pegboard backing concealing the 100+ zip ties used to keep everything in place (more photos here).

Is that a game boy magnifier in the bucket? What's in the bowl, please tell me its chicken breast. How is that $300 onkyo system? I have the older $500 dealie.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thessaly posted:

Can we get a whole room view of that, because right now, I'm sorry man but that just looks really ugly to me and I'm curious as to how it fits with the rest of the environment.

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
The bucket hides chargers, and the white thing you're seeing on top of it is a Sony Mylo, while the giant metal bowl stores controllers and poo poo. This photo on Flickr has most of the stuff tagged if you're curious. The receiver is decent for what it is, but we did have to get an HDMI switcher since we quickly ran out of inputs.

As for the aesthetics, to each their own. Our style is fairly contemporary (pics here), and so the industrial-chic look plays well with the steel and glass and leather in the rest of our furniture.

Thessaly fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 26, 2008

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Thessaly posted:

As for the aesthetics, to each their own. Our style is fairly contemporary (pics here), and so the industrial-chic look plays well with the steel and glass and leather in the rest of our furniture.

I hope you realize TGI Friday's is attempting to open a location inside your home. Guy Fieri is going to show up at your front door one day and all will be lost.

nosml
Jan 14, 2003

Thessaly posted:

Mid-century-modern furniture images...

I like the Starck Louis Ghost chairs, the Sapien Bookcases and the industrial shelving as it works well with your style; however, the knock-off Arco floor lamp does not do the room justice.

nosml fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 27, 2008

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I posted in the quick audio questions megathread, but I might get a better response here, as this is dedicated to AV set ups.

I've been upgrading my system slowly, moving from totally bottom of the barrel components to slightly better stuff. The first thing I did was get of the pinoeer receiver I bought at costco for 200 bucks a buncha years ago, and replaced it with a Yamaha RXV-663, which I got a very good deal on. Next, I got rid of my older sony subwoofers for a single MFW-15 from AV123. Now, i'm looking to take the next step. The rest of the system breaks down as follows:

2 Blueroom Minipods for fronts
2 Acoustic Research AR17s for surrounds
1 Acoustic Research AR4c for center

My fronts and center aren't really timbre matched, but it has been this way for a while. My biggest concern is good stereo for listening to music, and the minipods have been decent enough for quite a while. Now with more things been encoded with surround audio tracks that aren't trash, I really need to do something about this. With music as a goal, I don't know if I should upgrade each piece to higher priced stuff one at a time, or if I should upgrade it all at once with moderately priced stuff. AV123 is offering their ELT 525 2 tower 2 monitor 1 center set for $999 shipped right now. I already have the MFW-15, which is totally amazing. Is AV123s other stuff just as godly for it's price range? AV123 offers many sales, how do these ELT 525s compare to their more expensive stuff? Specifically, their owngoing super labor day deal.

Any other recommendations welcome, as for price range, I guess the most important criteria is that I am looking for stuff that will match up with the MFW-15 quality rise. And as I said before, the focus is good music play back and timbre matching close behind.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thessaly posted:

The bucket hides chargers, and the white thing you're seeing on top of it is a Sony Mylo, while the giant metal bowl stores controllers and poo poo. This photo on Flickr has most of the stuff tagged if you're curious. The receiver is decent for what it is, but we did have to get an HDMI switcher since we quickly ran out of inputs.

I'll give you two points.

1. The homemade rack really does work in that environment.
2. To each their own, indeed. :)

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

King-Kong posted:

Lights go off when watching anything.

Display: Sony 46" WS RPTV CRT (1080i)

Speakers:
Mains - B&W DM602 S3
Sides - B&W DM601 S3
Center - none! Sold years ago, used to be a B&W LCR300. Center channels are scams!
Sub - HSU Research STF-2 (10")

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-225

HTPC: P4 2.8ghz running Media Portal (on a custom stand sitting over my sub, to the right)

..built this entire setup a few years ago.. had the speakers + TV for about 5 years, and wouldn't mind upgrading most of it.

Would like to go 7 series with B&W, and go 65"+ DLP or projector for the display.

Wow I love that painting above your TV. Did you do that yourself?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Wall mounted the TV last week and am in the process of selling the TV stand. Soon I will be getting a Yamaha RX-V861 to replace the Denon PRA-1500 I've been using and everything will go on one of these off to the the side of the room with one HDMI cable running to the TV. Also will be getting an Auralex GRAMMA to isolate the sub.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like that media stand by itself but it doesn't seem to really go with anything else in that picture.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Thessaly you're such a jerk. I feel so inadequate. Not a fan of the starck chairs but what is the wooden chair with the union jack pillow on it? Photo or link?

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
It's a bentwood-framed chair with black woven canvas straps. The pair of them were picked up while scavenging the local vintage shops, so that's really all I know about their provenance.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Feel free to disregard this but could you check for markings? They're really gorgeous and your place is awesome.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
drat I forgot I made this thread.
I've updated and shuffled the room about a bit. Got rid of my computer nerd poo poo and only have AV nerd poo poo.

http://clwn.co.uk/bedroom/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FireTora posted:

logitech z680s (which I'm playing with the though of replacing them with real speakers, just need to figure out where I'd put them)

Don't do it. For games and movies those speakers have pretty good separation and sound, especially for how compact they are. Gun fire has bunch, and the speakers will give you the sensation of sound moving around you if you have the speakers spaced properly in your room. For music they suck and if you get new speakers it won't fix the problem.

The problem is the speakers have no midbass to them. The 3 inch driver can't go low enough to carry midbass. To compensate, the sub is tuned to go way to high so it starts to sound buzzy. Inside the amp on the back of the sub are the crossovers which determine at which frequency it stops sending bass to your satellite speakers to the sub. You change speakers you will still be stuck with the same crossovers. That means you get some nice front channel speakers that can hit down to 80 hz or lower and the crossover in the amp will still cut them off at 250 or where ever the stupid crossover point is on those logitechs.

If you want better speakers for music, you would have to get new speakers and something to power them with. Which if you ask for advice around here may not be that expensive. Just ask to get a 2 channel amp and two bookshelf speakers. If you can figure out a way to split the signal and get the sub in the action that would be good two.

MrFist
Aug 30, 2005
Some of these setups are amazing, really are.

I have a 42" LCD with a array of consoles, dvd, sky and a Media PC. Will post pictures soon, but what really winds me up are the cables. There are loads, what do people use as a solution?

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

MrFist posted:

Some of these setups are amazing, really are.

I have a 42" LCD with a array of consoles, dvd, sky and a Media PC. Will post pictures soon, but what really winds me up are the cables. There are loads, what do people use as a solution?

HDMI is your friend. So are cable ties.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

"[panic posted:

"]
HDMI is your friend. So are cable ties.

HDMI is also an enormous pain in the rear end so prepare for a ton of trial and error.

Dazed Fool
Feb 7, 2005
Duh?

Samsung 52" LCD, Def Tech STS, HK 120W Amp, PS3, Wii, Power Conditioner, and Marvin guarding the broadcast antenna. Blu-ray looks and sounds stunning.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Juriko posted:

HDMI is also an enormous pain in the rear end so prepare for a ton of trial and error.

Why is that? I've never had a problem.

Anyone here have any tips for repainting / recoloring speakers that have a faux-wood plastic veneer? I've got some that look like the ones below, and ideally I'd like to preserve the fake wood grain and make them a semi-gloss, very dark brown color.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Coredump posted:

Don't do it. For games and movies those speakers have pretty good separation and sound, especially for how compact they are. Gun fire has bunch, and the speakers will give you the sensation of sound moving around you if you have the speakers spaced properly in your room. For music they suck and if you get new speakers it won't fix the problem.

The problem is the speakers have no midbass to them. The 3 inch driver can't go low enough to carry midbass. To compensate, the sub is tuned to go way to high so it starts to sound buzzy. Inside the amp on the back of the sub are the crossovers which determine at which frequency it stops sending bass to your satellite speakers to the sub. You change speakers you will still be stuck with the same crossovers. That means you get some nice front channel speakers that can hit down to 80 hz or lower and the crossover in the amp will still cut them off at 250 or where ever the stupid crossover point is on those logitechs.

If you want better speakers for music, you would have to get new speakers and something to power them with. Which if you ask for advice around here may not be that expensive. Just ask to get a 2 channel amp and two bookshelf speakers. If you can figure out a way to split the signal and get the sub in the action that would be good two.

Thanks for the response. I haven't fully decided when I'll replace them but when I do I'm planning on getting a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver and building some DIY speakers from one of the many designs on htguide. I haven't fully decided which to do yet, but am highly considering the natalie p's(though I would likely need to get a amplifier to run a whole 5 speakers with that receiver). When I get around to it I'm going to just start with 2 channel setup and build/add the other speakers in their own time.

I've been using these z680s since 04, maybe 03 and they've been great but are not without their issues. I can't read the display due to the retarded angle its at. All the speakers hiss when there is no input no matter the volume and the rear left speaker is intermittent/crackly half the time.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Glottis posted:

Anyone here have any tips for repainting / recoloring speakers that have a faux-wood plastic veneer? I've got some that look like the ones below, and ideally I'd like to preserve the fake wood grain and make them a semi-gloss, very dark brown color.

do you have insignias or radiients?

either way, its going to be a vinyl finish and not even worth putting effort into.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Omegaslast posted:

do you have insignias or radiients?

either way, its going to be a vinyl finish and not even worth putting effort into.

Radiients. There's got to be a way, I don't really like the light wood but I love the sound. What about a vinyl dye?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Glottis posted:

If you move beyond a simple device to device setup HDCP slowly falls apart on the chain. Device to device is great, device to receiver to device can vary, but throw in another object in the chain and watch the handshake poo poo itself from time to time. I have a matrix switch and my xbox and dvd player love to fail their handshakes. When that happens I have to turn it all off and tun it on one by one in order. It is nice to get rid of 4 cables per device.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Glottis posted:

Radiients. There's got to be a way, I don't really like the light wood but I love the sound. What about a vinyl dye?

possibly, i dont know much about dying woods, let alone how vinyl will react. you might be able to just sand off the vinly or tear it off completely then veneer it but really that seems like a ton of work to put into $100 speakers.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

possibly, i dont know much about dying woods, let alone how vinyl will react. you might be able to just sand off the vinly or tear it off completely then veneer it but really that seems like a ton of work to put into $100 speakers.

Vinyl die might work, but you can just re-laminate them without removing the old stuff too. Laminating simple objects isn't too hard either.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
For those of you who wall mount your TVs, do you have any recommendations on which wall mounts you like the best? Monoprice has a ton of them, but it's hard to know what really works well just by looking at the pictures on the site.

My TV is the 42" Panasonic TH42PX60U.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

For those of you who wall mount your TVs, do you have any recommendations on which wall mounts you like the best? Monoprice has a ton of them, but it's hard to know what really works well just by looking at the pictures on the site.

My TV is the 42" Panasonic TH42PX60U.

I just hung my TH-42PZ80U with this mount. Works great.

See above.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Pibborando San posted:

I just hung my TH-42PZ80U with this mount. Works great.

See above.

Thanks, yours looks great, though I'll be honest, I'm looking for something that has swivel functionality as well.

I was thinking something more like this but it looks like it may be a bitch to plug anything in if I get it.

Optimized
Aug 10, 2004
I just purchased that exact mount. It doesn't work that well for heavier TVs. My plasma is about 125 lbs, and when mounted and fully retracted, the TV would sag about 5 degrees. I ended up taking just the mounting plate off and mounting that to the wall. I lost the ability to pull out, but still preserved the tilt. With your 42 inch you might be OK. Check the reviews, they all say the same thing.

I'll post pictures in a bit, after I clean up the wiring. One note, stud finders are your friend. Measure twice, dremel once!

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

i need to split the sound out to my reciever in the other room, then i'll be in good shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Candleshire posted:

Hey, I want to use a cable duct to do the exact thing you've got going on there with your TV. Where did you get it by chance?