Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Addict posted:

If you can make it suck less than launchy I would use the poo poo out of it.

What makes launchy suck? I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

I'm writing a chess program for Macs in my spare time. It's a nice break from developing runtime systems for parallel computing, and a good introduction to objective c/cocoa. All the mac chess apps I've used have been pretty lousy, so I'm hoping this will actually be a worthwhile project in its own right once it's a little more mature.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

greatZebu posted:

I'm writing a chess program for Macs in my spare time. It's a nice break from developing runtime systems for parallel computing, and a good introduction to objective c/cocoa. All the mac chess apps I've used have been pretty lousy, so I'm hoping this will actually be a worthwhile project in its own right once it's a little more mature.

Oh sure, "Human" vs "Human"... way to cop out :rolleyes:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

kalleboo posted:

Japanese IME for western java cell phones

What SE phone model is that?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Boner Wad posted:

What SE phone model is that?

K850i I believe.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004
eenmachine gave me some good info on iPhone programing, and I've almost finished my first game. It's just a simple sliding numbers puzzle, but the tiles wrap around the board.

A fellow goon is doing all the art, I think it's really turning out good.

Hope to submit it to the app store by the end of the week.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Warder posted:

eenmachine gave me some good info on iPhone programing, and I've almost finished my first game. It's just a simple sliding numbers puzzle, but the tiles wrap around the board.

Awesome! Looks great!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I feel a little outclassed by most of the stuff in this thread, but I'll post this anyway. It's a new game project I've been working on when I've got spare time. A 2D platformer with 3D graphics. Right now it's basically a 3D clone of a certain old NES game, but I've got some plans to make it into something original once it starts coming together.

I've got the level editor "done enough" to be usable, and am starting to work on the gameplay side of things. Hit detection is totally broken right now, but I just made a new camera and it's pretty fun to play around with. It tilts slightly to follow the player horizontally and vertically, which kind of gives a cool effect.

The background is a level rip from the original NES game, the 3D stuff in front was made with the level editor for my game. That hideous prism in the middle is the player, I haven't bothered making a proper model yet. Also I need to fix lighting because it's way too dark.

It's written in Java using OpenGL. Was actually inspired by this very thread to use Java. I'm really liking how it's coming together.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Warder posted:

I don't mean to come off as knocking your work, because it looks like you've done a good job from your screenshots.

But, doesn't having the tiles wrap make the game almost trivially easy?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Luminous posted:

I don't mean to come off as knocking your work, because it looks like you've done a good job from your screenshots.

But, doesn't having the tiles wrap make the game almost trivially easy?

I obviously haven't played it, but it looks sort of like a flattened rubik's cube to me, which I don't recall being a trivially easy toy. Since it's lacking the blank spot that most of those sliding puzzles are, that means that shifting any one tile will have to shift the entire row, instead of being able to control the number of tiles you move at a time.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

I obviously haven't played it, but it looks sort of like a flattened rubik's cube to me, which I don't recall being a trivially easy toy. Since it's lacking the blank spot that most of those sliding puzzles are, that means that shifting any one tile will have to shift the entire row, instead of being able to control the number of tiles you move at a time.

It's more similar to the 15 puzzle. The later levels become extremely difficult since like you said one move shifts all blocks in the row/col. I don't know if I can even solve the last level, 9x9. 81 tiles is crazy.

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

ColdPie posted:

a certain old NES game
Oh my god, I remember that game! It was one of my favorite games when I was 5-6 because it was so drat hard. Unfortunately, no one else I know remembers the thing, and they dismiss it as horribly heavy-handed product placement.

Which it was, but it was still awesome.

If you ever want a beta tester......

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

tastethehappy posted:

Oh my god, I remember that game! It was one of my favorite games when I was 5-6 because it was so drat hard. Unfortunately, no one else I know remembers the thing, and they dismiss it as horribly heavy-handed product placement.

Which it was, but it was still awesome.

If you ever want a beta tester......

Wow, same here. I had no idea other people even knew about this game, it was so awesome.

keep us updated ColdPie

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

almostkorean posted:

Wow, same here. I had no idea other people even knew about this game, it was so awesome.

keep us updated ColdPie

<-- It is my favorite video game.

Don't expect fast progress (in college, schoolwork & drinking get top priority), but I do hope to finish it. Also it's open source, so that's fun.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Nothing like what you guys are doing, as my project is web-based and super simple, but:

http://metrics.cc

Simple website metrics aggregation. I'm relearning PHP, and I hope to recode the entire thing in Python once I learn Python.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Sparta posted:

Nothing like what you guys are doing, as my project is web-based and super simple, but:

http://metrics.cc

Simple website metrics aggregation. I'm relearning PHP, and I hope to recode the entire thing in Python once I learn Python.
It doesn't seem to work in Chrome. Nice UI though.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Chopper posted:

It doesn't seem to work in Chrome.

Not for Firefox either. :colbert:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Not for Firefox either. :colbert:

Nor Opera. What does this thing work in? I'm out of browsers that a web developer would actually use.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ColdPie posted:

I'm out of browsers that a web developer would actually use.

Doesn't work in IE7 either :v:

e: By "not working," I mean I click the Go button and nothing happens

csammis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 24, 2008

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
I forgot to mention that it's not functional right now. Next couple of days though :3:

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

One of my personal projects is a 3D game framework. It's a bit old now and pre-pre-pre-alpha. Pretty much the only part that's anywhere near useful is the GUI system.

(It's a lot nicer than it appears)

I recently came back to it and added some nice smooth animations (like for when you hover over a button, or expand/contract a listbox).

I've also been using the framework as a playground for testing some physics. Here's some cloth physics I've been working on:

This one is 400x400 vertices, with approximately 1,120,000 spring and angular constraints.

I think this one's about 100x100.

Yes, the FPSs are accurate. I used 600 iterations (time slices) per frame for the first pic in order to get it nice and cloth like (ie not stretchy). Combined with the stupidly high "resolution" of the simulation means it takes a while for each frame.

I guess it goes to show how easily distracted I get. I really want to make the rest of the framework, but cloth sim is so much more satisfying :(

My biggest personal project is my ray tracer, though. I don't have any pics at the moment cause I'm not an artist so everything I render with it looks dumb. It's quite advanced though. Fully OO (even the camera lens), global illumination (including caustics), heavily savagely optimised Oct-Tree (optional, due to being OO. You could replace it with whatever. Or have a mix), depth of field, motion blur, etc. Basically everything you need to render a photorealistic picture.

Screeb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 26, 2008

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!
http://www.screencast.com/users/jwpeddle/folders/Jing/media/41b4c3b1-5ba5-47ad-95c5-1e804eb2cb10
Working on a growl/toast style notification system for a web community. jQuery/AJAX will poll the server and pop up new notifications on the bottom of the stack. I'll be using Django signals to feed new notifications into the system.

Private messages, new comments, anything flagged for notification (stalker feed!) will show up.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Here's my election night simulation app:

Click here for the full 1177x705 image.

all calculations run in a background process(which was suprisingly easy to implement).

if you want the code it's here; http://github.com/alex/election-sim/tree/master

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'd like to file a bug: McCain has a hire percentage than Obama in that screenshot.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I'd like to file a bug: McCain has a hire percentage than Obama in that screenshot.

The percentages are determined by running 5k simulations, so occasionally you come up with less than intuitive results(such as 48v50 when each state is at 50-50), I'm going to try bumping to 10k simulations, so see how that affects it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Screeb posted:

My biggest personal project is my ray tracer, though. I don't have any pics at the moment cause I'm not an artist so everything I render with it looks dumb. It's quite advanced though. Fully OO (even the camera lens), global illumination (including caustics), heavily savagely optimised Oct-Tree (optional, due to being OO. You could replace it with whatever. Or have a mix), depth of field, motion blur, etc. Basically everything you need to render a photorealistic picture.

Very nice feature set :)

I'll assume you're working on an offline renderer as you're doing GI and distribution ray-tracing and mention the word "photorealistic". You did however talk about savagely omptimising your oct-tree so I guess you do care about speed. Forgive me if I'm giving unwanted advice, but this is my area of research and I love to talk about it :)

Dump the Oct-tree ASAP. SAH based KD-Trees perform much much better. Implement packet tracing also if you haven't yet for a ~3x speedup. There's a ton of literature out there, but Carsten Benthin's PhD is a great resource for getting a highly optimized ray-tracer up and running. http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~benthin/phd.pdf Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about ray-tracing and making it FAST.

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Screeb posted:

I'd actually like to see a couple of screenshots if you wouldn't mind. Even basic shapes look cool with some of the features you're talking about. At least I find it interesting anyway. This thread isn't exactly filled with gorgeous art. It's all about seeing things people made.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

Very nice feature set :)

I'll assume you're working on an offline renderer as you're doing GI and distribution ray-tracing and mention the word "photorealistic". You did however talk about savagely omptimising your oct-tree so I guess you do care about speed. Forgive me if I'm giving unwanted advice, but this is my area of research and I love to talk about it :)

Dump the Oct-tree ASAP. SAH based KD-Trees perform much much better. Implement packet tracing also if you haven't yet for a ~3x speedup. There's a ton of literature out there, but Carsten Benthin's PhD is a great resource for getting a highly optimized ray-tracer up and running. http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~benthin/phd.pdf Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about ray-tracing and making it FAST.

Yep, it's offline, but of course, speed is still a priority - just as long as it doesn't introduce artifacts / isn't a big hack.

I started implementing a KD-tree a while ago, but didn't get around to using SAH (so right now it's just a very slow naive one). I'm probably going to implement a BVH as well, as it's almost as fast, but much simpler.

I haven't yet packetised it, as I want to figure out a clean way to implement it in my architecture (one of my focuses is good clean code - no nasty hacks if I can help it).

I see you've been on http://ompf.org/forum/ - I often go there and read up on the latest stuff, so I'm aware of all the neatest tricks around, I just don't have the time to implement them all.

I haven't seen that PHD - looks good, cheers.

Thanks for the advice and the offer. Do you have your own pet renderer at all? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

samiamwork posted:

I'd actually like to see a couple of screenshots if you wouldn't mind. Even basic shapes look cool with some of the features you're talking about. At least I find it interesting anyway. This thread isn't exactly filled with gorgeous art. It's all about seeing things people made.

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. I do have a few shots lying around that shouldn't be too bad I guess.

Edit:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Classic Cornell Box with some scanned models inside (not made by me!). You might notice you can't see the light - that's because if I'd made it visible, it would've introduced "fireflies" - little bright pixels around the place - due to technical reasons (I could have included it and rendered it for a longer time, which would have gotten rid of them, but it would be a LONG time to get the same visual quality. A more advanced lighting algorithm would solve it, such as bi-directional path tracing, which I haven't gotten around to implementing yet).

(Again, model not by me). Ignore the black light bulbs - I'd forgotten to increase a certain parameter (number of light bounces) when I rendered it. I couldn't be bothered rendering it again.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

A simple example demonstrating HDRI environment maps and caustics (yes I made this one :P Not the HDRI map though)

A whoooole lot of bunnies (totaling over 123 billion polygons)

Wanky artsy shot demonstrating depth of field.

Screeb fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 28, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Screeb posted:

Yep, it's offline, but of course, speed is still a priority - just as long as it doesn't introduce artifacts / isn't a big hack.

I started implementing a KD-tree a while ago, but didn't get around to using SAH (so right now it's just a very slow naive one). I'm probably going to implement a BVH as well, as it's almost as fast, but much simpler.

BVH is only really fast in a few scenarios all of which are tied to dynamic scenes. Because BVH builds faster, in engines requiring per frame rebuilds, the slowdown in render speed is offset by the speedup gained building the BVH. BVHs can also be defromed in O(logn) up to a point, negating the need for an O(nlogn) full rebuild every frame. BVH *can* work nice with very large packets and entry point search, but as you haven't implemented packet tracing yet that point is moot. Bottom line is that the kD-Tree is king and on static scenes the BVH is actually quite sucky. In fact your octree should beat the pants off it.

quote:

I haven't yet packetised it, as I want to figure out a clean way to implement it in my architecture (one of my focuses is good clean code - no nasty hacks if I can help it).

SSE intrinsics don't give the cleanest of code. You can however use the below in most compilers these days which helps a bit. Hooray for operator overloads.

code:
__m128 a,b,c;

a = b + c;
instead of

code:
__m128 a,b,c;

a = _mm_add_ps(a,b);
One of the main problems with optimizations is that they can become nasty looking. It really just depends on how fast you want to go. There are thankfully some clean things you can such as ensuring const correctness that can help a lot. BTW what triangle/ray intersection method are you using? You can precalculate on a per-tri basis parts of the intersection for a decent speedup (~15% according to my figures).

quote:

I haven't seen that PHD - looks good, cheers.

Ingo Wald's thesis is worth a read too, as is Vlastimil Havran's. Some outdated stuff in the latter, but the section on kd-tree building and SAH is still relevant.

quote:

Thanks for the advice and the offer. Do you have your own pet renderer at all? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

My own render is a multi-core SIMD real-time ray-tracer. I mostly use an SAH O(nlogn) kd-Tree builder with perfect splitting and a new entry point traversal similar to MLRTA (paper on new EP search algorithm hopefully to be published at Eurographics 2009 - fingers crossed) . I do use BVH and Bounding Interval Hierarchy for parts of my dynamic scene support though. My pictures are boring as I'm mostly working on data structures and algorithms to improve performance :)

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

BVH is only really fast in a few scenarios all of which are tied to dynamic scenes. Because BVH builds faster, in engines requiring per frame rebuilds, the slowdown in render speed is offset by the speedup gained building the BVH. BVHs can also be defromed in O(logn) up to a point, negating the need for an O(nlogn) full rebuild every frame. BVH *can* work nice with very large packets and entry point search, but as you haven't implemented packet tracing yet that point is moot. Bottom line is that the kD-Tree is king and on static scenes the BVH is actually quite sucky. In fact your octree should beat the pants off it.

Ah, true. I guess I'll do the kd-tree first then. I do want to do animated stuff down the line (not real time), but yeah I guess there's not much point in implementing BVH at the moment if it's not going to be anywhere near as good for static scenes.

Zakalwe posted:

code:
__m128 a,b,c;

a = b + c;

Cool, didn't know you could do that. Most of my hesitance with packetisation though is in modifying my data structures to suit, which I'll have to do some thinking on.

Zakalwe posted:

BTW what triangle/ray intersection method are you using? You can precalculate on a per-tri basis parts of the intersection for a decent speedup (~15% according to my figures).

I'm using Möller-Trumbore. I was previously precomputing two edges and d, but I recently took it out due to the heavy space penalty - I wanted to render models like the 28M Lucy statue, which wasn't fitting in my 2GB ram. I might put it back in though, now that I've got 8GB in my new machine. I miss the speed :(

Zakalwe posted:

Ingo Wald's thesis is worth a read too, as is Vlastimil Havran's. Some outdated stuff in the latter, but the section on kd-tree building and SAH is still relevant.

Cool, thanks. I don't think I've fully read through those, but I've at least glanced over them in the past.

Zakalwe posted:

My own render is a multi-core SIMD real-time ray-tracer. I mostly use an SAH O(nlogn) kd-Tree builder with perfect splitting and a new entry point traversal similar to MLRTA (paper on new EP search algorithm hopefully to be published at Eurographics 2009 - fingers crossed) . I do use BVH and Bounding Interval Hierarchy for parts of my dynamic scene support though.

Nice, real time ray tracers are crazy. How does your renderer stack up to Arauna?

Good luck on your paper being accepted! You should talk about it on ompf.

Zakalwe posted:

My pictures are boring as I'm mostly working on data structures and algorithms to improve performance :)

Haha, sounds like me. I'VE NO TIME TO RENDER DAMMIT, GOTTA OPTIMISE THIS poo poo. That's what it's all about :)

I think one of my next steps is going to be network-distributed rendering. I did a project this year rendering quaternion julia sets with a little Java ray tracer I shat out that rendered on my university's grid, which was pretty neat. Obviously I don't have access to a proper grid for leisure, but hey, a few extra PCs should be worth it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Here is what's new in my hobby search box/shell replacement/WPF learning vehicle:

Quicklaunch shortcuts from your very own quicklaunch directory!

Tab complete directory navigation!

Start search whose results include the directory of the item, handy so you know which uninstaller you're about to launch!

Windows Desktop Search (with query parameters, just like from Explorer or whatever)!

Rudimentary window switcher with pretty DWM live thumbnails!

And a video!

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 29, 2008

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Factor Mystic posted:

Here is what's new in my hobby search box/shell replacement/WPF learning vehicle:

So when can we download the various search dealies? And is it one dealie or are they like 3 or 4 individual apps? Cause I would use the gently caress out of those.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004
My game, Nuzzle, went live on the app store this morning. The review process took a little longer than hoped, but I'm glad the whole thing is done. It gave me some good experience.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Supervillin posted:

So when can we download the various search dealies? And is it one dealie or are they like 3 or 4 individual apps? Cause I would use the gently caress out of those.

It's all one box. You switch modes with ctrl+arrow, or if you type x:\ or \ it goes to folder navigation. And it's not ready for public consumption yet.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Warder posted:

My game, Nuzzle, went live on the app store this morning. The review process took a little longer than hoped, but I'm glad the whole thing is done. It gave me some good experience.

Who did the translations of the descriptions for the international versions of the App store? The Dutch description is pretty terrible and looks like it fell out of an online translator(No offense)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

greatZebu posted:

Want. Want want want. I totally agree with the statement about (good looking) chess apps on OS X; I'd almost kill for a decent XBoard/WinBoard-compatible well put-together client.

Let me know if you a) want help and b) are up for taking help from sporadic contributors who are also newish to Cocoa (I'm getting back into it, but when I say "back" I mean from NeXTSTEP).

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Smoke posted:

Who did the translations of the descriptions for the international versions of the App store? The Dutch description is pretty terrible and looks like it fell out of an online translator(No offense)

Yeah the German version is like that, too.

Warder, if you want I can translate it to proper German for you, the description is short enough.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004

Neco posted:

Yeah the German version is like that, too.

Warder, if you want I can translate it to proper German for you, the description is short enough.

That would be awesome. I just put stuff through google translate. I know it's not great, but at least it opens it up to those other markets. For the next game, I'll probably pay for one of those translation services.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I just got done writing a little application to scan our file server for screwed up permissions. We had a lot of issues with directories that had permissions that made no sense so I wanted to clean up our server. Since I didn't find an application that helped much, I wrote one myself. Took maybe 100 hours.

If anyone's interested, the download is under
http://exar.ch/windows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

RonaldMcDonald posted:

I just got done writing a little application to scan our file server for screwed up permissions. We had a lot of issues with directories that had permissions that made no sense so I wanted to clean up our server. Since I didn't find an application that helped much, I wrote one myself. Took maybe 100 hours.

If anyone's interested, the download is under
http://exar.ch/windows/
Heh, I was thinking about writing something very much like this, I'll give it a try.