Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jowogra
Jan 9, 2008
More UO griefing I am only just remembering.
Back in the day when first added traps to what tinkers could make, and made it so that there effectiveness was based on the skill of the maker. A friend of mine had a pure crafter character with 100 tinkering and no combat skills at all, and make a poo poo load of box's and trapped them, with all 3 types, poison/explosion/dart. and would even put one trapped box inside another.

And would then run to a major bank and start dropping them. People would always pick up whatever was dropped since it might be an accident and have something valuable. So they would pick them up and BOOM. What ensued was so much pubbie death that he got flagged as a PK, with over like 50 kills in a few hours. He would drop them a bit away from the bank, so that after they got killed, he could sneak in and steal the items from them, or when they get poisoned with they would run away, for some reason, or to find help, only to die from the very strong poison. After that he went to have the character wait at the bottom of some really hard dungeon so that no one would find him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

InediblePenguin posted:

People get SERIOUSLY upset about numbers stations. They just seem to strike a TERROR chord in the soul. I've had people practically crying over the mic asking me to turn it off, people claiming they were getting physically ill - they turn into absolute pussies when little girls start chanting numbers over music-box tunes, go figure.
It's a pretty unnerving sound. The whole reason I had them on my computer is I was planning on making a small horror Source mod with them- opening on just the sample you described, with a black screen, slowly fading in to find the player lying in a pool of blood in a bomb shelter, and going from there.
I'd probably be done with it by now if my video card hadn't died. :saddowns:

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

Nyphur posted:

On the PC versions of the battlefield games, most servers installed these punishment mods for combatting teamkilling. So instead of blowing the planes up, we jumped in front of them and got killed, then punished the guy in the plane. That and shooting someone down to 1-2% HP were my favourite ways to grief, they'd always teamkill you and get punished.

It's rather humorous how lots of efforts like this to prevent teamkilling can easily be flipped on their head and used to grief. A friend and I once cleared out an entire CS 1.6 server with friendly fire on by purposely wounding, blocking and otherwise griefing the other players. Of course, they would always teamkill us in response. The standard punishment options were there(slay,slap etc) but this server also had an option to ban someone for an hour if they had 6 or more teamkills.

You would think the pubs would've figured out what we were up to after the 10th person banned.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Nyphur posted:

On the PC versions of the battlefield games, most servers installed these punishment mods for combatting teamkilling. So instead of blowing the planes up, we jumped in front of them and got killed, then punished the guy in the plane. That and shooting someone down to 1-2% HP were my favourite ways to grief, they'd always teamkill you and get punished.

I remember doing something like this on the original battlefield 1942. Some servers had a reverse-tk system setup where if you tried to tk someone, you'd take all of the damage rather than them. My favorite thing to do on these servers was to run in front of someone's plane while it was trying to take off. Usually this resulted in the plane suddenly stopping at me as if it hit a brick wall and the pilot would instantly die. Then I could steal the plane while the pilot usually responded with "WTF why did I die?" in chat.

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.

CaptainStag posted:

It's rather humorous how lots of efforts like this to prevent teamkilling can easily be flipped on their head and used to grief. A friend and I once cleared out an entire CS 1.6 server with friendly fire on by purposely wounding, blocking and otherwise griefing the other players. Of course, they would always teamkill us in response. The standard punishment options were there(slay,slap etc) but this server also had an option to ban someone for an hour if they had 6 or more teamkills.

You would think the pubs would've figured out what we were up to after the 10th person banned.

One of my favorite ways to grief people in CS:S was to get someone to teamkill me, then not use the punishment dialogue until the next round or, depending upon the map, the most inopportune moment. Most people just slap, steal cash, or kill the person. I preferred the more amusing "status" effects that showed up on the second page of the punishments. If they were about to head into an area with a lot of enemies? Blinding. If they were on a cliff edge or a roof? Drug them, to gently caress up their screen. Or, just wait for the next round to start and kill them to listen in glee as they flip out at being put out at the start of a round (This is doubly amusing when they get killed shortly after you get teamkilled by them on a round that lasts a long time.)

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
It's not really a griefing video itself, but if you get a big group of people in TF2, this can probably send some people into a furious rage.

http://www.toadking.com/videos/index.php?id=18

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

GoldenDelicious posted:

One of my favorite ways to grief people in CS:S was to get someone to teamkill me, then not use the punishment dialogue until the next round or, depending upon the map, the most inopportune moment. Most people just slap, steal cash, or kill the person. I preferred the more amusing "status" effects that showed up on the second page of the punishments. If they were about to head into an area with a lot of enemies? Blinding. If they were on a cliff edge or a roof? Drug them, to gently caress up their screen. Or, just wait for the next round to start and kill them to listen in glee as they flip out at being put out at the start of a round (This is doubly amusing when they get killed shortly after you get teamkilled by them on a round that lasts a long time.)

Oh yeah. The best is servers dumb enough to install the punishment mod without looking into what it does. I'd hold the window open until the start of a round and then select the timebomb function, which not only killed the player but all the surrounding players within about 30 feet. The result would be usually the entire team wiped out and a 10 second round, or maybe two people getting away and being slaughtered by overwhelming numbers on the other side. It's too bad I never bothered to record anything like this otherwise I'd upload it for sure.

Luckily(or unluckily depending on your perspective) most Source-based servers that bother with friendly fire are smart enough to avoid abuse like this now.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Toad King posted:

It's not really a griefing video itself, but if you get a big group of people in TF2, this can probably send some people into a furious rage.

http://www.toadking.com/videos/index.php?id=18

Just having one person stand there while the group of people melee's the one dude? I guess people would be upset, but you can do the same thing by logging into a server and just standing there being useless.

Tekhne
Sep 11, 2001

All time favorite griefing methods:
Battlefield 2 - Get in a chopper and get your team to fill it up... fly it far away over some body of water and just hover. People will complain and then eventually jump out to swim the few miles back to shore. Once the last guy jumps out, fly back to shore while they watch you helplessly. For added points, crash the helicopter into them just as they get to shore.

Everquest 1:
I played a druid and wolf form didn't agro anything in Unrest. I would go all the way to the bottom of the basement and attack the ghost (boss) and then run all the way to spawn. The ghost would chase me and get adds every time he would pass a mob. By the time he got to the spawn, he'd bring almost all of the house. I would then zone and everyone else would get slaughtered. I think I did this about 4 hours a day.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
WoW: Running into the Alliance base in AB and MindControllinging freshly spawned players out of the battleground. This also gave them a 'deserter' debuff that made it so they couldn't do another battleground for 15minutes.

Mindcontrolling off of Cliffs - Fall damage
Into Lava - Lava Damage
Into aggro mobs - Mob Damage

Mindcontrol was a fun spell.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wreckus posted:

WoW: Running into the Alliance base in AB and MindControllinging freshly spawned players out of the battleground. This also gave them a 'deserter' debuff that made it so they couldn't do another battleground for 15minutes.

Into Lava - Lava Damage

I played a warrior for a while in WoW, I made it a point to NEVER accept a duel from a priest NO MATTER WHAT. I don't care how safe the situation seemed, it could be a flat plain in the middle of nowhere, there are just too many ways that mind control can royally gently caress you over.

Jowogra
Jan 9, 2008

Wreckus posted:

Into Lava - Lava Damage

I remember when taking the boats from ratchet or the other neutral cities, MC afk people, and make them jump off the edge and dive underwater, then leave them to drown. Or try and MC them as you are starting to sail away and see how far offshore you can get them.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

CaptainStag posted:

Oh yeah. The best is servers dumb enough to install the punishment mod without looking into what it does. I'd hold the window open until the start of a round and then select the timebomb function, which not only killed the player but all the surrounding players within about 30 feet. The result would be usually the entire team wiped out and a 10 second round, or maybe two people getting away and being slaughtered by overwhelming numbers on the other side. It's too bad I never bothered to record anything like this otherwise I'd upload it for sure.

Luckily(or unluckily depending on your perspective) most Source-based servers that bother with friendly fire are smart enough to avoid abuse like this now.

Lately I've been playing on Breakfloor servers with the punishment mod installed. Although sinking people is always fun, even better than the timebomb is the freezebomb, which paralyzes anyone unlucky enough to be caught in its radius. But on a map as small as breakfloor, every single player will be frozen, unable to move or use their weapons for the entire round, which on those kind of servers can often be 5+ minutes long. Apart from everyone committing suicide, the only way they can end the round is using grenades on each other, which of course means that some of their teammates will be caught in the crossfire, starting the whole process again.

Edit: ha ha sorry about that, I think my network got reset while I was posting and Firefox went a bit funny

goodog fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 23, 2008

Foolscap
Sep 12, 2004
^^^ You raise a valid point El Negocio.

I'm just not sure what it is?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CaptainStag posted:

Oh yeah. The best is servers dumb enough to install the punishment mod without looking into what it does.

I never did understand the bomb-type punishments on that thing. Giving you the option to "punish" the guy who teamkilled you by using him to kill the rest of your team seems a little backwards (though undoubtedly hilarious). I usually just drug 'em at the start of the next round, it's amazing how pissed some people get at that.

Zombie Killer 5000
Oct 21, 2008
Descent

When I was an intern at some office with five other guys our lunch usually consisted of playing some multiplayer Descent. Four of us were in one room and the other guy was playing from an office down the hall. One of the levels I made for us was essentially three toruses along the three major axis, connected in the middle. I built a handful of caves to hide in that had false walls from the outside, but that you could still see out of. Sometimes we'd each hide in a cave and just fire a homing missile at him when he passed. Most games, though, I would tuck myself into one of those caves, throw up the map screen and give directions to the other three in the room so they could gang up on the guy down the hall.

They would all converge somewhere he was headed and pretend to be shooting at each other so while he was flying towards their position he'd see missiles and lasers firing from around the corner. As soon as he rounded the corner he'd see three ships all facing him and get killed instantly. This went on for months before he figured out we were working against him.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
A goon friend of mine and I were playing a public cs 1.6 server when I decided to be an rear end in a top hat and teamkill him. Much to our surprise, along with the standard team kill options was "turn player into a chicken". Apparently supposed to be a punishment, the chicken had 300 hp, super speed, and super jumps, but no attacks. It turned out the timer was broken as well. For the next 2 hours we proceeded to teamkill and turn each other into chickens to prolong the rounds as long as possible - the longest being around 15 minutes. We stopped when the 20-man server became just the two of us.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You know what is fun to do? Act like you know a random person in an online game. Oftentimes, you can convince them that they actually know you. You can also trick them into getting pissed off at said person, making them believe they did something embarrassing while drunk, and making them admit some embarrassing secrets. I have done this a lot.

My personal favorite was when I managed to convince some gullible level 20 in WoW to jump off the zeppelin into the ocean right before it transitioned, so they could get this awesome secret item. The funny thing was that he wasn't even the intended target. I was actually trying to convince some low-level character that had a really stupid name.

Also, another thing I liked to do was to kill all the NPCs in Loch Modan, because I really didn't care about the PvP honor system. Of course a bunch of alliance would show up. I would then quickly run to the Loch Modan dam and jump off. Being an engineer with a parachute, I would survive the long drop. The people following me would not. Unfortunately for them, the middle part of the dam was considered to be in another zone. That forced them to either resurrect, or travel a very long distance to get back to their corpse.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Star Trek Bridge Commander.

One of the game's prime features is it's dynamic damage system.
This means you can carve things up.

There's nothing more fun than rushing in, taking out their sensors so they can't target you and slowly slicing their ship to pieces.

One of the better ships to do this in was the lowly shuttlecraft.
Despite being small and pretty much incapable of surviving a torpedo it still won the day by being able to get under your weapon range, hover close to you as possible, and slowly but surely dismantle things.

Sure it's one thing to be disabled by having your sub systems knocked out, it's another to be crippled by having your engines sawn off.

Birds of Prey were able to be decapitated very quickly.

If I recall correctly low beams did bugger all damage to the hull, yet still ate away at it.

When modded ships came into the fray much amusement was had with things like the old series enterprise.
The neck to the saucer was thin enough that you could one shot it and have the ship seperate in two and explode despite being at 80% hull and 80% shield.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Jowogra posted:

More UO griefing...death traps

A similar one was poisoning food as a master poisoner and dropping them on the floor for people to pick up/eat (they always did). The max rank poison was impossible to cure without pots and would kill you in about 5 seconds, dropping them in Haven (the 'safe' newbie zone) was always a good laugh.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
COD4, The news station map, I think its called Broadcast or something. Any way theres that house that has oversite of the entire front side of the Newstation. And 90% of the time there will be some one in there with a sniper rifle.
2 words

Smoke Grenade

E: Because I'm a masterclass griefer

Let me specify

A sniper on MY team

ChauchetRedemption fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 5, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Magnum1371 posted:

COD4, The news station map, I think its called Broadcast or something. Any way theres that house that has oversite of the entire front side of the Newstation. And 90% of the time there will be some one in there with a sniper rifle.
2 words

Smoke Grenade
Oh :drat: son, you sure showed them!

Seriously though, if you think this is griefing, read this thread, or go read the COD4 console thread. Those guys know what they're doing.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Magnum1371 posted:

2 words

Smoke Grenade

Wow epic griefing dawg! You utter failure.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
It's the little things that count, like smoke grenades. Buying a bunch of smoke grenades at the start of de_dust and throwing them towards all the trouble spots, especially when there are a lot of people on the map and it's hard to tell who's doing it, so anyone who uses smoke grenades legitimately gets banned. I applaud ALL griefing efforts, big or small.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Battlefield DesertCombat -

Grab a helicopter that allows spawning and then hover to areas that are highly contested so that people will spawn on you. When you get in a popular spot where people start using you as a reliable spawn point, get a steady hover and then just go straight up. There usually isn't a sky box on any of the maps so you can go as high as the map's timer permits. Now when people spawn in the chopper and try bailing it, it'll take them about 2-5 minutes just to see the ground when they jump out.

It was actually pretty effective oddly enough since both teams will bitch. Yours for being so god damned high and the enemy for having a gigantic map spanning spawn point.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mathemagician posted:

It's the little things that count, like smoke grenades. Buying a bunch of smoke grenades at the start of de_dust and throwing them towards all the trouble spots, especially when there are a lot of people on the map and it's hard to tell who's doing it, so anyone who uses smoke grenades legitimately gets banned. I applaud ALL griefing efforts, big or small.

I'm telling you, nothing's better than de_dust for teamflashing. The majority of the combat zones are walled off with walls that don't extend very high - meaning you can stand safely out of view in one area, and chuck flashes up into the sky over the combat zones.

Good times. A well timed teamflash - not just spamming flashes, but waiting until you see people getting into a firefight or people lining up for some strategic advance - is a beautiful thing and sure to cause rivers of pubbie tears and RAAAAAAAGE

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mathemagician posted:

This was amazingly funner back when smoke grenades took a significant portion of a video card's power and throwing enough could cause locks.

Coolswa
Aug 19, 2005

:h:robot fucking got me more involved in the thread:h:
Warcraft 3, tower your allies base in and destroy him with the towers, bonus points if you can still win the game by towering.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
This is among the "Announcer Jim" style griefing, but sometimes I change my name to Rev. Jeremiah Wright and start preaching his bullshit with either HLSS or with my amazing vocal parody abilities :iamafag:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolswa posted:

Warcraft 3, tower your allies base in and destroy him with the towers, bonus points if you can still win the game by towering.

Sometime while playing Warcraft 3 (not griefing) I would build two or three towers in my allies bases as a human since human towers benefit from the masonry upgrade. I would usually just do this in large team games to reinforce the outer two bases most likely to be hit first. Every once in a while someone would see them going up and freak out thinking I was trying to TK them, and i had to reassure them that those towers we, in fact, to help defend.

I guess nobody actually expects you to help them without it being a disguised griefing effort.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I Said No posted:

Space Station 13

I'm trying to figure this game out. Holy gently caress, is there a tutorial or something?

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.
Not really. It's not even that fun a game, so I'd suggest not bothering. It definitely appeals to a niche market that is into the "retro" look of horribly drawn graphics and unappealing gameplay. In fact, I think Spacestation 13 is just a grief on anyone who wants to play it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm trying to figure this game out. Holy gently caress, is there a tutorial or something?

There's a thread here which links to a tutorial or two. I haven't ever played the game myself, but the tutorial seemed decent enough back when I read it.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Just having one person stand there while the group of people melee's the one dude? I guess people would be upset, but you can do the same thing by logging into a server and just standing there being useless.

I think it's because when the griefer melees the AFK dude, others will join in and eventually the whole team is caught up meleeing a single AFK teammate, stalling the whole match and pissing off the other team.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Here's some UO griefing.

Okay, so for those unaware Ultima Online had two facets, one was called Trammel (easy) and Felucca (difficult). Right when publish 16 came out, the developers made it so those that went in Felucca dungeons to fight the champion spawns (for powerscrolls to raise skills/stats) you could insure your gear to not lose it when you die or have issues with thieves.

This pissed me off.

I forget the reasoning but I think that if you died during the champion spawn, you were sent back to town to be resurrected. Now here is where the griefing takes place.

My friend would make a new character and give him 50 magery/evaluating intelligence and we would camp the healer spot. Right when people would be resurrected my friend would send an energy bolt (with a scroll) to his rear end and he would die on the spot. I would then loot their stuff and we would just repeat the process until he was red and then make another character. Now, thankfully some idiots didn't have it to where they would keep insurance running and all of their valuable items would drop to their corpses.

We got so much rare armor, weapons and a poo poo ton of regs it was unbelievable.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm an unabashed Trammelite, but ye gods. Insurance? It's not like the bank-sitters actually needed those scrolls for farming anything they'd find in the land of the care bears. If they were weekend Fellucites, they should bloody know how to handle themselves there.

Good job on that one.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Code Jockey posted:

I'm telling you, nothing's better than de_dust for teamflashing. The majority of the combat zones are walled off with walls that don't extend very high - meaning you can stand safely out of view in one area, and chuck flashes up into the sky over the combat zones.

Good times. A well timed teamflash - not just spamming flashes, but waiting until you see people getting into a firefight or people lining up for some strategic advance - is a beautiful thing and sure to cause rivers of pubbie tears and RAAAAAAAGE

Or if you are rushing the double doors that every one camps around, and just stop in the entrance. Thereby trapping half of your team in a killzone of sorts. Of course I wouldnt just stop and do nothing, Spraying the ceiling with the Para seemed to add to the anger pretty well.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Back on page 7 WalletBeef posted:

Does anyone have a link to the UO story of the guy who was responsible for the "slimes no longer split" fix?

Just found this in my bookmarks from back when I was lurking. It is a archive.org copy of the guys website. Too bad the pictures don't work.

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.

Alan BStard posted:

Wow epic griefing dawg! You utter failure.

Actually, it's one of the best griefing techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥
God, I love UO griefing stories. The game being so prone to griefing was probably because the developers didn't have the benefit of hindsight or experience. They were coming across these problems for the first time and honestly didn't see the problem in letting you drop trapped boxes or poisoned cakes on the floor. It makes me sad that the MMO industry has tended toward making games with padded walls to stop the users getting hurt (and in a lot of cases to stop them hurting themselves). Sure, it opens the game's playerbase to all the kinds of thickos that would eat a cake they found on the floor but I firmly believe the game's quality is degraded as a result. The closest you can get to UO right now would be EVE Online. The original core EVE developers were big UO fans and decided to deliberately make a number of ideas from UO core in the game.

For example, there's an open PvP system with after-the-fact punishment for killing someone in a police-protected area. That means that much like -Atom- there did in UO, you can make a new character to kill players until his security status is nuked, then delete him and make another. I did this once with a group of players, with 1 day's training time on this new character to get us into some high damage but dirt cheap ships (destroyers). We flew around as a pack and would cargo scan haulers, then suicide-gank them.

My favourite part from that escapade was finding a way to blow up people's personal research labs at their POS (player owned mini moon stations). If they forgot to pay the fuel bill or set a shield password, the shield around the base would disappear but since they were in police-protected space, they just assumed their station was safe. We discovered by accident that the research lab structures actually only had a tiny number of hitpoints, so we would park our destroyers next to them and then synchronise our attacks. We would blow up 2-3 labs each, destroying billions of isk worth of stuff in the few seconds before the police arrived. Each of us netted a few billion in loot from that escapade until we ran out of targets to pick on (everyone started putting their POS shields up again).

The best part about all this is that while it was mean as hell, it's all perfectly legal within the game rules. And that's just another one of the reasons I love EVE :D.

• Locked thread