Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Deceptor101 posted:

I highly recommend learning how to splice back together chomped wires. In most cases(unless it's been thoroughally savaged all along it's length) it's fairly simple. Cut out the bad areas, cut back the insulation, reattach each cord with electrical tape, then rewrap. I've spent about 2 hours splicing things back together, but I've saved hundreds.

My boyfriend is in Computer Engineering (A cross over between Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) so he has all the wonderful little tools that make this stuff easy, AND the patience to do it.

Luckily the only things they've gotten was a light-up pumpkin, an alarm clock and our router's power cable... now, the carpets and baseboards are another story. For some reason they find the taste of our baseboard absolutely delicious - and digging at the carpet is Thomas' favorite past-time. They KNOW they aren't supposed to do it, so they always wait until I'm looking away or in another room before going at it.

I'm probably more attuned to the sound of stealthy destruction than a mother is to her child's crying.

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Oh when I moved out of my old place, i spent a good 5 hours bondo'ing baseboard to look as if it hadn't been chewed to shreds. Aside from the smell, bondo was my best friend then. Just attach it, shape it, sand it, paint it and the baseboard looked perfect! Carpet I thankfully didn't have to deal with.

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007
Promised bunny pics! Sorry for the crappy webcam, they forgot to send up my camera.

Rousseau!

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Vonn!

Vonn has gotten much more friendly, comming to the front of the cage whenever I open it and bowing, waiting to be rubbed on the head. She wouldn't let me close the cage this morning! She kept sticking her head out and stoping the cage from clicking shut.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
Hey guys, my boyfriend just moved in and brought his bunny. Its my first time having any kind of pet, and somehow it still fell on me to build him a habitat :) Am I doing this right?

Thats Teybek in there, hes got his old cage (which he seems to like and that is full of shavings), newspaper all over the rest (which he seems to like to chew and tear), food,water, a ball, some wood he likes to chew on, his food dish and some paper towel tubes (which he seems to like to chew). I am unfortunately allergic to bunnies and my apartment is not pet-friendly, so we have to keep him caged up most of the time. I tried to make it better by building the biggest enclosure I could - its basically a shelving unit with the shelves taken out with chicken wire staples to the outside. It seems to work pretty well, because he can put his paws up on the wood and look out, but still not be able to escape.

He seems to like it well enough, hes laying on his side and his ears are usually forward when hes hoping around, which from what I understand are both signs of happy bunnies.

I'm not sure if he likes me yet. Whenever I walk by he'll perk right up and come to the edge of the cage and let me touch him a little, but whenever I go to play with him he runs and hides. Oh well.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
LMAO. That's one of the most ghetto cages I've ever seen.

1. Where is his hay? Hay is absolutely, unarguably essential. If you can't or won't feed hay, he'll die a painful young death, and you should rehome him ASAP.
2. Take out the top of the old cage. He's going to jump on top of it, unbalance it, and it'll fall on him or he'll get a leg trapped in the bars and break/dislocate it. If you're worried about attaching the bottle, you should be using a big untippable bowl instead anyhow.
3. Put more shavings (and a couple big handfuls of hay) in the bottom of the old cage, and let him use that as a litterbox.
4. I'm worried that he'll eat the edge of the wood and get poisoned by the preservatives.
5. Eventually, even if all else goes right, he'll pee outside the litterbox, and it will soak through that shelving unit. Might wanna try a C&C cage instead. The coroplast is nonporous and can be cleaned with white vinegar. I've had one sheet of C&C in constant use since early 2003 and it's a little worn on the top but still clean and urine-proof.

Overall, it's too small, too easy to destroy, and probably downright dangerous, but I can see that your heart is in the right place and you've made a pretty good start. Our first attempts are always a pleasant source of amusement in later days.

Edit: Found the MOST ghetto cage I'd ever seen. Someone was using it as an iguana cage, but when the iguana escaped (funny, that) he donated it as a rabbit cage.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 22, 2008

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
Hey! A lot of love went into that cage. And desperation.

Unfortunately, we can't really afford anything better, we were keeping our clothes on those shelves not a week ago. We'll be able to get hay as soon as we can get down to the pet store. We've been feeding him just greens and tomatoes and stuff, which seems to be working. He isn't chewing at the unit at all, we have other wood in there for him, along with other chew toys. As for jumping on his cage, apparently he used to be doesn't anymore because he doesn't like the feeling of it. Either way, I don't think its a huge risk.

Any suggestions for toys would be good, all hes got are some balls that make noise and stuff to chew on.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

blue_kameleon posted:

Unfortunately, we can't really afford anything better,

You really shouldn't have a rabbit if you can't afford a cage. A C&C cage is like $60-75 to build. You should also have $200-300 on hand at all times for vet emergencies. Rabbits are expensive pets to keep. Maybe you should rethink this decision before you get more attached, especially since you have already determined you are allergic to rabbits and your apartment is not pet friendly. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

candeh posted:

You really shouldn't have a rabbit if you can't afford a cage. A C&C cage is like $60-75 to build. You should also have $200-300 on hand at all times for vet emergencies. Rabbits are expensive pets to keep. Maybe you should rethink this decision before you get more attached, especially since you have already determined you are allergic to rabbits and your apartment is not pet friendly. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

This wasn't really a decision so much as my boyfriend having an unfortunate string bad luck that left him no real option except to move here. We don't have money now but we will soon, and until then we figure its best to keep the rabbit somewhere we know it will get taken care of, as opposed to giving it to someone who probably won't. We're not children, we know full well the responsibilities that a pet entails.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

blue_kameleon posted:

Unfortunately, we can't really afford anything better, we were keeping our clothes on those shelves not a week ago.

Get on craigslist and freecycle and look/ask for a dog x pen.

blue_kameleon posted:

We'll be able to get hay as soon as we can get down to the pet store. We've been feeding him just greens and tomatoes and stuff, which seems to be working.

Veggies do not make up for an absence of hay. Hay is NOT optional. Like "I need to drive to work and my car is out of gas" not-optional. You should have already been there by the time you read this. If not, you're doing it wrong.

blue_kameleon posted:

As for jumping on his cage, apparently he used to be doesn't anymore because he doesn't like the feeling of it. Either way, I don't think its a huge risk.

Only, it IS a huge risk. I have a foster parent and her bunny at the vet RIGHT NOW who broke a leg from a fall of barely 20" (landed wrong when the rabbit jumped). It happens ALL the time. The first time he jumps up there after months of not jumping up there, and breaks a leg, and you don't have $300 on hand for x-rays and emergency vet bills - then what? It's also reducing the useful square footage of your contraption. Get rid of the lid while it's still just a risk and not already a disaster.

blue_kameleon posted:

We're not children, we know full well the responsibilities that a pet entails.

Actually, bringing an animal into your home and not having a) the necessary food, b) an adequate cage, c) money for either seems to belie that statement.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

alucinor posted:

Actually, bringing an animal into your home and not having a) the necessary food, b) an adequate cage, c) money for either seems to belie that statement.

You seem to be under the impression that I wanted this rabbit here - trust me, I did not. You think I'd really want something that a)smells b)I'm allergic to and c) could get me kicked out of my apartment? Not the slightest, but I'm responsible enough to know that here (where he WILL get taken care of properly very soon) is better than the humane society or wherever else he might go if hes given up.

However, if you care so much, feel free to come pick him up.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

blue_kameleon posted:

You seem to be under the impression that I wanted this rabbit here - trust me, I did not. You think I'd really want something that a)smells b)I'm allergic to and c) could get me kicked out of my apartment?

I'm never implied that you want him, the question you asked was whether you are doing this right. And no, you're not. But just because you don't want an animal doesn't relieve you from the obligation of caring for him properly, or finding someone else who will. If not you, then your boyfriend, but one of you needs to man up and do what's right.

blue_kameleon posted:

However, if you care so much, feel free to come pick him up.

If you want to pay to ship him to WI, I've got an approved adopter looking for a woolly, he's similar looking enough that I could probably get her interested. I or any other rabbit rescuer could certainly get him adopted. I didn't quite get from your original post that you were actively looking to rehome him.

If you don't want to ship him, I'd also be happy to help you find a local HRS chapter where you could either get help caring for him or get him into a placement program. Just tell a nearby zip code and I can give you tons of links.

blue_kameleon posted:

I'm responsible enough to know that here (where he WILL get taken care of properly very soon) is better than the humane society or wherever else he might go if hes given up.

See, this is where we seem to have some misunderstanding. I can tell that you WANT to do good by this rabbit. But WANTING to do good isn't enough. You have to actually DO it. Every day that you are saying "sure, I'll buy him hay any moment now", his body is being degraded by not having access to hay. Every day that you say "no, the old cage lid isn't a danger", the amount of usable space he has is a fraction of what it should be.

Right now, you're NOT providing him better care than he would get at a county shelter, and definitely worse care than he would get with the HRS or a rabbit-savvy owner. The moment you actually MAKE those changes, his life will improve. So why the delay? Is it because you resent him? If so, please do rehome him. It will be better for all three of you. More than one person here has gotten into fights with their SO over an unwanted animal, and I've only once seem the couple work everything out and manage to keep the animal.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
I think I've explained that the delay is financial, but I've repeatedly assured you that as soon as we have money he will get proper treatment ie: within a week, we will have everything he needs to live happily and healthily. If you think that that week is too long and that he'd be better of going to HRS or that thats less traumatic than shipping him to you, I think you're wrong.

I've followed all your suggestions that I can follow right now,taking the cage out and getting him some hay, and you can rest assured that this bunny is being taken care of. Next time maybe try and be a bit more understanding of someones situation before you attack them for being horrible pet owners.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.

blue_kameleon posted:

Next time maybe try and be a bit more understanding of someones situation before you attack them for being horrible pet owners.

She isn't attacking you. You asked if you were "doing it right" and she said "no".

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I built a 4'5'' by 6'5'' cage for 25-30$. We scrounged around hard for the materials (a used rug for the flooring, discount/overstock/Dirt Cheap/etc for cubes) but it's possible. This was also a setup for two buns. We mostly use carpets and have never had a problem with leaking, but you can always put those pet pad things underneath.

My girlfriend and I live in a very tiny one bedroom apartment. Neither of us has a lot of money right now as we are both students, cannot find jobs, and are not supported by anyone. We've given our rabbits half of our living room and make sure that they are never without their core needs (veggies, hay, space, and checkups).

It definitely can get expensive. But if you're determined to do the right thing you CAN- as I said above, my girlfriend and I dug around everywhere to find what we needed cost effective enough and we did. That cage seems kind of dangerous as others have pointed out, and I don't think he's going to be very happy in there for an indefinite amount of time.

Nobody called you a horrible pet owner, least of all Alucinor. You asked if your setup seemed okay for the bunny, and it was pointed out that it is not. Why did you ask if you didn't want to know?

This is giving me deja vu.

GoodApollo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 24, 2008

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GoodApollo posted:

I built a 4'5'' by 6'5'' cage for 25-30$. We scrounged around hard for the materials (a used rug for the flooring, discount/overstock/Dirt Cheap/etc for cubes) but it's possible. This was also a setup for two buns. We mostly use carpets and have never had a problem with leaking, but you can always put those pet pad things underneath.

My girlfriend and I live in a very tiny one bedroom apartment. Neither of us has a lot of money right now as we are both students, cannot find jobs, and are not supported by anyone. We've given our rabbits half of our living room and make sure that they are never without their core needs (veggies, hay, space, and checkups).

Good lord that's a lot of space. Do you have any photos of your full living room? I'm always curious to see exactly how this is set up.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

blue_kameleon posted:

Next time maybe try and be a bit more understanding of someones situation before you attack them for being horrible pet owners.

Its not that she wants to be mean, its that, as house rabbit owners, we have to constantly fight the silly assumptions the ignorant 99% of society has about rabbits. They're stupidly complex creatures in terms of care and diet and most people don't understand that. By all means, we'll all be willing to chip in with suggestions on how to make this work for you, I realize it's not your chosen or ideal situation. As others have said, if you don't have the money, improvise. Even if you don't have money, most likely you have time. Spend that time on Craigslist looking at the free section. You can pick up a container of zipties that will last you 3 cage constructions at target for 5$. Anything can become a cage with enough zipties.

Oh and just remember, advice may not always be sugarcoated, but in this thread, it's always with good intentions.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'd like to chime in and say even if he's not chewing everything and jumping everywhere right now, it's only a matter of time. Right now the rabbit's just a little intimidated by his new surroundings. Rabbits will chew on ANYTHING, mine included. He still gingerly tries to take a bite out of a bookcase when he thinks I'm not looking. And jumping on top of his cage might not be comfortable but by golly if it means seeing new things that he's not supposed to, he'll never stop trying.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

oh god that's true. I'm pretty sure that No=Yes in a rabbits brain. the concept of something that's off limits is entirely outside of their realm of understanding.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Deceptor101 posted:

oh god that's true. I'm pretty sure that No=Yes in a rabbits brain. the concept of something that's off limits is entirely outside of their realm of understanding.

This is very true. Buster last week discovered that she's not allowed on the sofa - so guess what's the first thing she does when I'm not looking now? Aside from nibble my textbooks?

(Her and Nobbers have a bad history of peeing on mattresses and sofas. Nothing else, just comfortable furniture. Spoiled brats.)

You guys are lucky you live in the States where things are much cheaper. Housing rabbits has been a very expensive adventure for me. I haven't posted pictures of their cage yet. It's got a 3x4 cube base and is 3 cubes tall... but that C&C one you posted, alucinor, puts mine to shame.

edit: Figured I'd share. I discovered the awesomeness of peel-and-stick vinyl tiles. I just stuck them to a waterproof tarp (in case anything leaks through the cracks) and that's my bottom-level flooring. They were something like 27 cents each and I think I needed 20 of them. Best part is that the buns can't destroy them - and my, how they've tried!

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 24, 2008

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

blue_kameleon posted:

I think I've explained that the delay is financial, but I've repeatedly assured you that as soon as we have money he will get proper treatment ie: within a week, we will have everything he needs to live happily and healthily. If you think that that week is too long and that he'd be better of going to HRS or that thats less traumatic than shipping him to you, I think you're wrong.

I've followed all your suggestions that I can follow right now,taking the cage out and getting him some hay, and you can rest assured that this bunny is being taken care of. Next time maybe try and be a bit more understanding of someones situation before you attack them for being horrible pet owners.

I don't get why people always do this. They come into Pet Island and seem to lose all concept of where exactly they are on the internet. This is still SomethingAwful people, not 'everyone post cute pet pics and say nice things and nothing else kthnx'.

You posted an image on a relatively public forum asking for advice. You got it, and frankly you got off easy. Alucinor was a LOT nicer than I would've been. Yet you still feel the need to get huffy and up-in-arms about it, for what reason I don't know.

No one is claiming you're a horrible pet owner because you can't afford to upgrade right now, but yes, it is VERY IRRESPONSIBLE to bring an animal into your home (yes, even if its not your animal) without knowing every detail involved in caring for it.

This is basically what your posts say:

Hey guyz I have a bunny here is his cage/O what the cage isn't great? Well you see I can't financially afford to care for this rabbit/also I don't care about this rabbit bc it is not mine/OMG HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE RABBIT

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

blue_kameleon posted:

You seem to be under the impression that I wanted this rabbit here - trust me, I did not. You think I'd really want something that a)smells b)I'm allergic to and c) could get me kicked out of my apartment? Not the slightest, but I'm responsible enough to know that here (where he WILL get taken care of properly very soon) is better than the humane society or wherever else he might go if hes given up.

I understand that you are helping out because it's your boyfriends bunny and you are a trooper who will do whatever necessary to help out, but don't either of you have any friends or relatives who could watch him for a while? The reason I ask is that you mention your apartment is not pet friendly. I'm not going to criticize, as I've put myself at risk years ago, but do you know you can get in big trouble and gently caress up your future renting experiences if you're caught?

Also, bunnies don't smell. Dirty litter boxes do. Give an elbow jab to the man if he's not changing the cage and boxes frequently enough.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

blue_kameleon posted:

I think you should take the rabbit to a house rabbit society shelter unless you are going to move out of your apartment into a place that's pet friendly and larger than your current place. Even if you solve your current financial dilemma, you will still be allergic to the rabbit and run the risk of being evicted if your landlord discovers you have a pet. You are obviously not in a position to take care of an animal, especially one as financially demanding as a rabbit.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
Sorry if i sounded huffy guys, I guess i spend too much time reading helldump.

Unfortunately, we don't have anyone to take the rabbit, and I'm willing to take the risk of keeping him here. As for my allergies, they were more assumed, since I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but so far I haven't had a reaction to the bunny by himself, so I'm hoping for the best. Even if I am, reactine is only thirty bucks for thirty pills, so I'm not in such bad shape. We're working on bunny-proofing stuff so he can run around more, and until thats done we've been letting him get his exercise in safe places like the kitchen, where everything is too high for him to get to and there are no cords or anything. Hes always supervised, just in case he outsmarts us :P.

I understand you guys are trying to help and must go through a million retarded pet owners a day, but you have to realize that calling someone irresponsible right off the bat isn't likely to make them listen to you. By posting here, I was trying to BE responsible, since I clearly know nothing of this stuff on my own, and instead of recognizing that all you've done is discourage me from asking for help here for fear of having more of you guys leap down my throat. I know you have the animals best interests at heart, but there are better ways to go about it.

I'm glad you guys could help me make stuff safer for him for the time being. The whole situation was very much 'heres a rabbit, deal with it', so I threw together what I could. I love animals, I've been a vegetarian for over three years and I'm all about animal rights, so you can be sure I don't want to see this bunny mistreated in any way. Our financial crisis comes to an end on friday, so for a Halloween present he'll get a shiny new cage and hopefully some rabbit toys, any suggestions?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well I kind of have a question. Isn't the rabbit your boyfriend's? How's he helping in all of this? If he asked you to take care of the rabbit, why didn't he give you any good instructions? I guess what I'm saying is you should guilt him into building a multi story rabbit cage.

As far as advice goes I'd strongly recommend you read through this thread because it has every piece of advice in it that a rabbit owner could want. And if you want an inexpensive toy right now might I suggest a cardboard box.

Edit: some of the best rabbit things are free. Some freshly picked grass, clovers, maybe a small willow branch.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Hay stuffed in a cardboard tube(tp tube works great) is a good one. My rabbits also enjoy the hell out of a single sheet of paper toweling. They toss it in the air and have fun shredding it. On Amazon, they often have some cheap items like grass mats and willow or grass balls. I bought some large mats(11x16") for under $5 last night. If you have access to birdie bagels at pet shops, those are usually under a dollar. It's just a ring of compressed cardboard/paper.

Also, more ideas here.

Mathematicus
Mar 10, 2004
Gozintas a specialty

DS at Night posted:

Some freshly picked grass, clovers, maybe a small willow branch.

Be careful about getting grass, clover, etc. from outside. If it has been fertilized or treated with pesticides, it could be very bad for small animals. And it could, conceivably, have diseases from other animals in it, too. Just a note of precaution.

blue_kameleon posted:

...must go through a million retarded pet owners a day...

This. The problem is that it's always a bad sign when new pet owners ask for advice, then get defensive or argue about it. The forums I frequent for animal stuff are the same way - if you ask for information, you'd better be prepared to listen to it and to act on it, because years of dealing with people who really just want you to tell them how awesome they're doing even if they're not have left the members bitter and short-tempered. Also, it often pays to be brusque up front to get peoples' attention, and point out that you're not making suggestions that would be nice to do if you have time and money, you're giving minimal care advice that MUST be followed. You can find old threads here in PI in which people got animals against others' advice, and regretted it later (or just dumped the animal in the end).

blue_kameleon posted:

I love animals, I've been a vegetarian for over three years and I'm all about animal rights, so you can be sure I don't want to see this bunny mistreated in any way.

Once you get yourself situated, and your animal settled, please consider volunteering for your closest rabbit rescue. DON'T take in any more animals (that's just a bottomless pit of despair - you're generally better off to stay well within your means with the rabbits you have and not get burned out), but help with rescue events, easter education campaigns, or whatever. You'll do a lot of good for a little effort, and as you deal with the unwashed masses, you'll quickly come to see why rescuers are so bitter and misanthropic. I know that sounds patronizing and all, but I don't mean it that way. It's just a sad fact.

blue_kameleon posted:

...for a Halloween present he'll get a shiny new cage and hopefully some rabbit toys, any suggestions?

I'm not sure if you're asking for suggestions about the cage, but if so, a big pen with a coroplast base is a good start. I'd recommend against anything prefabricated - the truly good ones are prohibitively expensive and not all that convenient for the owner, and the bad ones are, well, bad. You can make a nice, big, open one for a modest price, and give the rabbit more room, and you more access, than any purchased cage. I think there are instructions and/or links elsewhere in this thread.

For toys, stick with simple, expendable, and non-toxic. Some rabbits like destroying phone books, some like cardboard boxes, etc.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, start looking for a place to live that will allow the animal. You're in a really bad situation having him where he isn't welcome, and you need to get out as soon as your lease will allow. And if you get caught with him and kicked out, it will be good to have a ready list of places in town that allow animals.

Since you're not supposed to have animals, they might not think to ask you before fumigating, painting, etc. Make sure you tell the apartment management that you don't want anyone coming in or applying any chemicals without notice and approval. Tell them you have chemical sensitivities or something.

Mathematicus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 26, 2008

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

The only 'toys' we've bought for our rabbits that they actually played with a bit were baby keys and I think a chew rope thing we found. For the most part we just keep boxes and throw them everywhere for them to play with. I try to keep a few in their actual cage, but mostly ones they can hide in. Those 24 case soda boxes? A huge hit. Knowles gets inside of it and bounces it around as well as digging like crazy.

The keys they play with some, but are mostly fun because we can dangle them, and one of them will grab it and throw it around, rinse and repeat, etc.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah premade cages are definitely a rip. If you compare the price and amount of space, building yourself is such a better deal. We're talking like, 30 (or more) times the space for the price of a very small premade cage.

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007
So after a few phone calls and alot of information being passed around, both the buns got fixed today! They took it really well, and even seem kinda more mellowed out now.

On a scarier note, apperently Vonn's uterus was filled with puss, so if I had of waited to get her fixed she would have been in alot of pain and would have gotten very sick.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Ok, bunny fanatics, time to help pick a name for a new rescued rabbit!

Click to embiggen.

One of my board members just adopted these two 5-6 year old angora bunnies. They are retired breeders who were dumped at a bird show, and picked up by a horse rescuer. Horse lady gets an A for effort but really had no idea about husbandry, so they never had vet checks or hay to eat, and they have apparently been mating, well, like rabbits, for several months with no offspring. It's therefore almost a certainty that the female has a uterine carcinoma (she goes in for pre-spay bloodwork this week, he goes in for nut removal on Friday).

The grey female is Lily Rose, the white male is Timothy. Only, my friend doesn't like that name for him. She wants a rabbity name that preferably begins with T. I've already had Thistle and Threarah shot down (the only two T-names I can recall from Watership Down). If we can't stick with T, any literary name, or botanical/herbal/vegetable name, will probably get a favorable reaction. So far he's pretty laid back, and her only comment about his personality is that he is "not at all heroic".

Any ideas?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Tonks? If I had my choice I would name him Floof. It seems appropriate.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Does anyone know why Oxbow stopped shipping direct? I was going to get some hay before winter sets in(my deliveries get left outside all day) but now the website directs purchasers to online stores or local shops. I'm all about supporting my local shops, but it was far cheaper to order direct and I don't have to worry about making it to a store before closing time. I'm pretty bummed about this.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
They are trying to focus more on R&D and advertising, it seems, and wanted to free up staff from directly working in the fulfillment and shipping process. They do still sell direct to rescues.

You might look into KM's Hayloft. I still get my pellets from Oxbow, but I've switched 100% over to KM for hay. Her bluegrass is insane - soft, green, and fragrant. It's slightly more expensive (like $1.01 per pound vs $0.98 per pound for Oxbow) but I find that the quality is consistently higher. If you're in Glendale any time soon I'd be glad to bring you a sample to check out.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

The hay prices at KM look very reasonable until I hit the shipping estimator :saddowns: It's more than twice the shipping price, but the hay seems roughly half of what I paid which seems odd. I'll have to double check my May billing statement. From the description, I believe it will benefit Murphy since we'd be getting the 3rd crop cut which is mostly all leafy goodness, and that is all he eats. Debbie eats anything.

I'm not sure when I'll be near Glendale again, but I'm thinking of ordering a 5lb mix just to see what I'm dealing with because she notes that the hay still holds moisture. I'm not sure how to store it if it's not completely dried - I had barns for that when I was small. Sadly, my apartment is not equipped with a hayloft.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yeah, the shipping is murder. My price calculations both include that, though, and it turns out it's roughly the same as buying it at a local store.

For slightly moist hay, you just want to ventilate the box. It comes in a bag in a box - you just pull the bag out, punch some big holes all around the bottom of the box, and leave the top of the box open. It only doesn't work when the rabbits enlarge the vent holes, crawl inside, and pee in the fresh bale. :doh:

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

This probably isn't too good for a name, but one of my rabbits name is "Tom."

Edit: and it works for me

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Oh god, I forgot about the naming thing. I passed on okiecompy's suggestion of Tonks, and the adopter was going to go with Tonkington (I don't know why you'd take a good, short name and lengthen it), but her husband decided he had to have some input too, so the rabbit is now named Sir Tuffington Fluffbottom, Sir T for short. Whatever.

The reason I forgot is that my first-ever bun passed away this weekend. He had sudden-onset lung failure, we are still waiting for biopsies but the initial suspicion is a tumor elsewhere that metastasized to the lungs. I had him since Feb. 2003, and while he was at least eight years old, I never expected to lose him this soon or this fast.

I miss you, you big fatty.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

my condolences.

PS: That name is terrible, but oh well.

Bobblehead Biddy
Nov 6, 2008

Then I will sit here consumed with lust for the rest of the evening!
This is Houdini. He's a 9 week old Dwarf Dutch, and has developed an adorable habit of nuzzling in my lap and falling asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
alucinor, I'm so sorry to hear that. What a cute, fat face. At least he had the ability to live a good life with you :)

Bobblehead, that rabbit is insanely cute. But all baby bunnies are. Make sure you get him fixed when he's about 3 months or so...otherwise chances are you will loose your snuggle friend and end up with a peeing machine.