Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Krakkles posted:

So, theoretically, if one were riding a carburated 644cc single cylinder up a very steep hill, and managed to very slowly lay it on it's right side, would it be normal for gas to pour out?

In theory, we're talking about an '09 DR650. One with light scratches to the plastic over the tail pipe and no other observed damage. One that didn't fire up when first righted and cranked, but started up when it got a little throttle on the second try of cranking.

Yes. Carbs, gas tanks, etc. aren't always designed to seal when upside down, on their sides, or whatever. Overflows will puke gas, seals will not seal correctly, etc. Buisness as usual, just don't light yourself on fire. :supaburn:

Can we stop with all the crashing? Making me nervous about upcoming trackdays here. Motorcycles on their sides left and right.

VVVVVV if you feel like checking it, pull the cover and look for any problems...but if the oil is still clean, and you don't have any weird poo poo showing up anywhere else, you're probably ok.

AFAIK, head gasket failures on bikes are pretty uncommon. Even running my ZX-6E with a leak in the coolant rail, so just with the coolant in the engine, it still didn't blow the head gasket. hosed the engine, but the head gasket was fine. :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Z3n posted:

I've seen gauges spike/lights come on due to air in the system or bad gauges/sensors as well.

Assuming that is, that it came on before, he did all the work, and then it went away. If he did all the work and now it's doing it, then yeah, probably some issue there. The wording is a bit confusing. :iiam:

I don't believe there was air in the system, that's what I meant by a proper coolant change, burping the hoses and everything. I may have left some air in the system which would explain the light, but not the smoking unless I blew the gasket in the 30 minutes I was riding around town.

When I got the bike, the fan would come on and then the temp light a minute later. After doing all the stuff I mentioned, the fan would cycle several times without the light coming on, so I assumed it was fixed. I've also checked the water pump and it and the seals seem to be fine.

I took a peek in the radiator and the coolant level is low although the burp tank is full, like the level hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure exactly what that means, I'm new to all of this.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yes. Carbs, gas tanks, etc. aren't always designed to seal when upside down, on their sides, or whatever. Overflows will puke gas, seals will not seal correctly, etc. Buisness as usual, just don't light yourself on fire. :supaburn:

Can we stop with all the crashing? Making me nervous about upcoming trackdays here. Motorcycles on their sides left and right.

My bad :) I didn't even get my gear dirty, but I took off down a dirt road I saw off of the 5 freeway and went up a hill I shouldn't have. I looked at it at the bottom and pretty much knew I wouldn't make it, but tried anyway for some reason.

I got about thirty feet up the forty foot section before I chickened out - as soon as I touched the front brake, it was over. The bike leaned right and I very very very gently set it down. Tried to keep it up, but it was too far over.

I kill switched it, then reality set in and I realized I was in for a lovely time after that - I was standing in soft dirt, on a ~35 degree incline, 30 feet about anything approaching level ground, with a big, heavy bike I now needed to pick up.

I got it back up and realized I was very happy it was still in gear - the front brake wasn't holding it on the hill, but the engine was holding it with the clutch in. It took me about 10 minutes of pulling the back end toward me, then slipping the clutch to get it back to the bottom of the hill.

I set it on the kickstand as soon as I could, took off my gloves and helmet to cool off for a bit, checked for obvious signs of gas soakage, then tried to start it back up. Like I said, it cranked but didn't fire. I killed the electrics, waited a few moments, then tried again. Same thing, til I touched the throttle - then it started right up. I rode it the 100 feet down the dirt road back to the main highway, let it idle for a bit while I stripped off the gear again, stretched, looked it over, then got on and rode home.

VERY slowly :D

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Oldsmobile posted:

Well, it's not a good one, since I don't know a drat about bikes. But I suddenly found out how cheap 250cc bikes were and was instantly interested since I've been thinking about cheap two wheeled transportation that's not a scooter.

OTOH I might not want to kill myself.
It's obvious you're new, we're here for that. You're in the right spot. We'll help you. You can get some really cheap bikes in a variety of displacements. Is there a reason you're dead set against a scooter?

Well, I was hoping you'd tell me what i was looking for. Are you just looking for reliable city transport? Or are you looking for a real motorcycle? The answer to both is you first need to get yourself signed up for the MSF. For the city, you can look at some wildly tiny, quirky, and fun bikes. If you're looking to do some real travel, you're options change. The bikes get much larger. Whatcha looking for in a bike?

Krakkles posted:

So, theoretically, if one were riding a carburated 644cc single cylinder up a very steep hill, and managed to very slowly lay it on it's right side, would it be normal for gas to pour out?

In theory, we're talking about an '09 DR650. One with light scratches to the plastic over the tail pipe and no other observed damage. One that didn't fire up when first righted and cranked, but started up when it got a little throttle on the second try of cranking.

First off. It's not a sin to lay down a bike. It happens. I've done it, ravyns done it, squishy's done it, skreemer's done it, z3n's done it, everyone has. And if they haven't, the will. Yes, if you lay a carburated bike on it's side, it will leak fuel. When a bike is on it's side, the floats won't seal off the float valves, and fuel will pour through the carbs. Also, if the tank is full, fuel can come out the vent tubes.

The bike didn't start right away, because the carb was flooded. Opening the throttle moved more air, and therefore more fuel, eventually leading to the carb unflooding, and the bike starting.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Nerobro posted:

It's obvious you're new, we're here for that. You're in the right spot. We'll help you. You can get some really cheap bikes in a variety of displacements. Is there a reason you're dead set against a scooter?

Well, I was hoping you'd tell me what i was looking for. Are you just looking for reliable city transport? Or are you looking for a real motorcycle? The answer to both is you first need to get yourself signed up for the MSF. For the city, you can look at some wildly tiny, quirky, and fun bikes. If you're looking to do some real travel, you're options change. The bikes get much larger. Whatcha looking for in a bike?

Well, just something around town that will get me around on the cheap. 250cc Aprilias are 6500 euros, and a used one even cheaper. Those have like 19hp or something along those lines. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm not really looking to go fast, just forward.

I'd obviously get a bike license, but they're not that expensive.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
2004 Ninja EX500
Well, on the way to work today, my bike seem to be running fine, idling at 1250rpm, when suddenly it decides to idle really lumpy at 1000rpm, and dies. I can start it up, but only with choke, and I have to hold on the throttle to keep the idle high enough to prevent it from dying.

Then it dies while coasting with the clutch out, and refuses to start with just the starter, so I bump start it going down a hill (lucky) and limp to work.

The starter seems to be cranking fine, and I have headlight/oil light/neutral light. The fuel is low but I can see some in the tank. Switching to reserve petcock made no difference.

This is probably the coldest I've ever ridden the bike (about 55 degrees F)

Any ideas what's wrong? If I can't fix it, I think I'll have a friend of mine come pick me up with his truck.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Just sounds like the motor is cold. Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Nerobro posted:

Just sounds like the motor is cold. Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open?
How would I know if it's stuck open, and what can I do about it if it is? And why would that kill the bike?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

LOLLERZ posted:

How would I know if it's stuck open, and what can I do about it if it is? And why would that kill the bike?

It's hard to answer the first bit. Ideally you'd just pull it out and examine it. If it IS sticking, you replace it. Thermostats aren't all that expensive.

If the engine doesn't maintain temperature, it will need to be on choke. Just like the motor were cold. It's common with air cooled bikes for them to stall out when getting off the highway. Low throttle for slowing down at the end of the ramp, combined with high airspeeds chills the motor to the point that it will no longer idle.

That can happen with water cooled bikes that don't have thermostats.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I stalled my bike coming home at 6am couple of days ago, it's flipping freezing at the moment and I'd pulled the clutch in to coast up to some traffic lights that had turned to red whilst I was on approach and she just died in the airflow. 125 thumper really doesn't do well at idle in the cold. I know I got told to increase the idle speed, but it's idling fairly quickly when it's warm, any quicker might be very much too quick.

On the laying it down note, my bike leaks from the fuel filler cap, which is amusing to say the least when you lay the bike down. Cap doesn't fit too well, I think someone's tried to pry it off at some point. It's also a replacement cap, the lock is different from the lock on the helmet lock on the bike, just as well my helmet doesn't have D-rings and I don't want to leave it on the bike anyway.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Oldsmobile posted:

Well, just something around town that will get me around on the cheap. 250cc Aprilias are 6500 euros, and a used one even cheaper. Those have like 19hp or something along those lines. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm not really looking to go fast, just forward.

Id advise against buying cheap old bikes if you don't know enough about them >> I spent about 600$ for an old '71 honda expecting it to get me to work, but new problems seem to pop up whenever I fix the old ones. >> And now i cant get to work!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Nerobro posted:

It's hard to answer the first bit. Ideally you'd just pull it out and examine it. If it IS sticking, you replace it. Thermostats aren't all that expensive.

If the engine doesn't maintain temperature, it will need to be on choke. Just like the motor were cold. It's common with air cooled bikes for them to stall out when getting off the highway. Low throttle for slowing down at the end of the ramp, combined with high airspeeds chills the motor to the point that it will no longer idle.

That can happen with water cooled bikes that don't have thermostats.
My bike is water cooled.

Just went out and ran it, it leaks a lot of gas out the exhaust when fully choked, I guess that's normal? Simply holding the throttle slightly open seems to keep it alive just fine, I think I might be able to just raise the idle speed and get home to do some real maintenance on it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oldsmobile posted:

a 250cc aprilla (assuming you mean the rs250) will make anything from 50-70hp depending on how tuned it is and weighs gently caress all, not a good beginners bike, deceptively fast and too pretty to be smashed up in noob accidents

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

LOLLERZ posted:

2004 Ninja EX500
Well, on the way to work today, my bike seem to be running fine, idling at 1250rpm, when suddenly it decides to idle really lumpy at 1000rpm, and dies. I can start it up, but only with choke, and I have to hold on the throttle to keep the idle high enough to prevent it from dying.

Then it dies while coasting with the clutch out, and refuses to start with just the starter, so I bump start it going down a hill (lucky) and limp to work.

The starter seems to be cranking fine, and I have headlight/oil light/neutral light. The fuel is low but I can see some in the tank. Switching to reserve petcock made no difference.

This is probably the coldest I've ever ridden the bike (about 55 degrees F)

Any ideas what's wrong? If I can't fix it, I think I'll have a friend of mine come pick me up with his truck.

most likely carb icing, you can get fuel additives that help prevent it, if your bike has carb heaters fitted check that they're working.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

echomadman posted:

a 250cc aprilla (assuming you mean the rs250) will make anything from 50-70hp depending on how tuned it is and weighs gently caress all, not a good beginners bike, deceptively fast and too pretty to be smashed up in noob accidents

I think he means the 250 scoots.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

LOLLERZ posted:

My bike is water cooled.
If your thermostat is stuck, your bike will react faster to outside temprature changes than even a air cooled bike.

However, I think echomadman has the right slant. I've never had carb icing problems, but that sound highly likely in your case.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
ABOUT A WEEK AGO....

"My bikes been working fine for the better part of the last week or so. I had an issue with my bike revving too high for the speed/gear I was in, but it seemed to resolve itself. Now its back and worse. I start it up like normal, sounds good, still have the clutch in, all is good until I release the throttle and start moving in first, it quickly gets louder and higher, like it wants me to change gears all ready. But Im only going 5mph!! I hear the engine whine so I switch to second. The problem persist. Its not until Im in third that it stops, but Im in third going about 15-20mph, my bikes an old honda sl 100, no tach but the spedo has lines for when to shift. 3rd is usually about 25mph+, so I dont know whats going on. I just need to get to work!"

Ok well I out today to try to solve this problem once and for. Iv had a lot of people replay and suggest to adjust my clutch. I looked up some info on how to adjust a clutch, seems simple enough. I went and opened it up, and completely forgot about the oil. So now I'm soaked in oil, my apartment complex is mad at me for spilling oil, and my bike still wont work. From what I gather the place to adjust the clutch should be right under the derby cover. I opened it up and it looks just like every other pic iv seen online, with a locknut you need to unscrew. But mine has just a locknut, no allen wrench hole or anything like that, and it wont unscrew, it just spins something inside my engine or gear box (I really don't know) Is there a different method I need to use to fix this thing? Any idea how much it would cost to just drop it off somewhere and come back with it done? Id rather fix it myself so I can learn more about bikes.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

philkop posted:

I'm a little oily at the moment, sorry about the typos. Ha there are some pretty bad ones. :P

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
So I recently finished the test portion of the MSF class and now I'm going to do the riding portion later this week. I was planning on getting a helmet before then, what do you guys generally recommend for a new rider?

I went to a local store to try out some different helmets, and from what I tried on the Arai helmets were a better fit but the Shoei ones seemed to have better features. The one thing that really stood out in my mind was that for the Arai helmets, my ears wouldn't get mashed to the side of my head, while for the Shoei ones, they were always stuck. I guess that's a good thing because it means the helmet is on tight?

I was looking mainly at more of the high end helmets as well; they definitely seemed to be worth the price in terms of comfort and weight. I'm sure people have had different experiences and I'd like to hear them. Or any specific helmet recommendations as well.

Edit: I'm also only planning on doing street riding for quite some time; probably not even going on highways for months at least.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My speedo cable snapped again, about 1500 miles after the last one did. Is there something I should check that could cause high stress on it? It's not kinked, it curves quite smoothly down to the hub.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

OGS-Remix posted:

I went to a local store to try out some different helmets, and from what I tried on the Arai helmets were a better fit but the Shoei ones seemed to have better features.
When you find one you like make sure you leave it on for awhile and walk around the store. Sometimes helmets that feel like they fit ok just after you put them on will start to hurt after 10-15 minutes or leave a mark on your forehead or cheeks. If you have an Arai shaped head that will be the brand to go with despite the fact that you may like the features of the Shoei's better.

Arai and Shoei are both high end helmets and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of them. What's most important is that it fits well and is comfortable. I have a Shoei RF1000 and absolutely love it, especially the venting system. No Shark, HJC, or Arai helmet in the store fit me like the RF1000. I initially balked at the price, but I figured if it wasn't comfortable I wouldn't want to ride. Which Arai model were you looking at?

greg_graffin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 27, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

My speedo cable snapped again, about 1500 miles after the last one did. Is there something I should check that could cause high stress on it? It's not kinked, it curves quite smoothly down to the hub.

Did you lube it before you installed it?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

greg_graffin posted:

When you find one you like make sure you leave it on for awhile and walk around the store. Sometimes helmets that feel like they fit ok just after you put them on will start to hurt after 10-15 minutes or leave a mark on your forehead or cheeks. If you have an Arai shaped head that will be the brand to go with despite the fact that you may like the features of the Shoei's better.

Arai and Shoei are both high end helmets and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of them. What's most important is that it fits well and is comfortable. I have a Shoei RF1000 and absolutely love it, especially the venting system. No Shark, HJC, or Arai helmet in the store fit me like the RF1000. I initially balked at the price, but I figured if it wasn't comfortable I wouldn't want to ride. Which Arai model were you looking at?

I don't remember the exact names, but going from the prices online, I was basically looking at all the high end ones; the Shoei RF1000 and X-Eleven and the Arai Vector, Profile, and Quantum. The main features that I liked about the Shoei more then the Arai were that they had the dual set of inner liners, 1 hard/1 soft so there is supposed to be less break-in? Also, the fact that you could remove the inside layer more easily to wash/replace was nice too.

Cost is always an issue but I'd definitely want good value for the money I do spend. I know all helmets meet the same level of protection, but I figure if you're more comfortable, with less weight better ventilation or whatever you're more likely to avoid accidents; which is much more preferable then walking away from one.

The store has a very good exchange policy too, up to 1 week so if I try one out and don't like it, I can go back and switch it for another one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Did you lube it before you installed it?

No and the guy in the store said I didn't need to as it was prelubed. Hmmm, I guess I'll lube the next one up real well. I've heard gun oil is good, should I go for some grease instead?

About helmets, I heard once you should find a helmet that squeezes a bit around your cheeks but not your forehead. The foam on your cheeks will compress and settle to form around that proud square jaw of yours.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

philkop posted:

Ok well I out today to try to solve this problem once and for. Iv had a lot of people replay and suggest to adjust my clutch. I looked up some info on how to adjust a clutch, seems simple enough. I went and opened it up, and completely forgot about the oil.

Did you try adjusting the cables first? There should be adjuster nuts on the end of the clutch lever. Not familiar with your adjustment to the actual clutch itself, my SV650 allows me to do this without removing the clutch cover.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

`Nemesis posted:

Did you try adjusting the cables first? There should be adjuster nuts on the end of the clutch lever. Not familiar with your adjustment to the actual clutch itself, my SV650 allows me to do this without removing the clutch cover.

Yeah I gave that a go, no luck. I think I'm just going to take it in pretty soon, gotta get to work. Hows the sv650? I just barely got my first bike (1971 Honda SL100) 2 weeks ago and I'm planning for my next one once I save the dough. I love the look of those stripped sporty bikes. Then again I'd get a hard on off just about anything with an electric start after relentlessly kicking this piece of crap :P

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GoldenDelicious posted:

My main questions are more towards what exactly I should look for in a Cruiser when I start scouring craigslist and used bikes so I don't end up with a bike that dies in six months or that I will pay thousands of dollars for and end up hating. Unfortunately none of my friends ride motorcycles so this seems like my best place to ask. I apologize if any of these questions are stupid, I'd just like to make as informed a decision as I can so once I do get a motorcycle I can come back with good stories and whatnot.

So, does anyone mind helping a total newbie out with this issue? :shobon:

I guess what you're asking for is which cruisers you should be looking for. Other than the different makes, you are just stuck with the normal bike concerns (does it run, how are the tires, etc). There should be a newbie FAQ somewhere...

Cruisers make less power than their sport bike counterparts with the same displacement, so you can go a bit bigger. With cruisers, weight becomes an issue long before power does, I think. Most people here say 650 is borderline for a new rider, but any 650 cc cruiser will be fine for a new rider (almost all of the Japanese makers have a 650 cc cruiser). I would say the Vulcan 900 is the limit of what you'd want to ride. Harley's 883 Sportster should also be fine (I haven't ridden one, but it's physically much smaller than my Vulcan 500).

Beyond that it's standard cruiser stuff. Does it have pegs or floorboards? Highway pegs? Do you want a windshield? Are you willing to pay for chrome? It's generally easy to find saddlebags, windshields, sissy bars, engine guards, etc for cruisers, though if you want to customize, check availability before you buy (eg, there is almost nothing out there for the Vulcan 500).

I would search craigslist for anything Japanese under 900 cc that is running (Harley's don't depreciate as much, so they'd be a bigger investment). You should be able to turn around and sell it easily if you don't like it. Before you do that, sit on a couple at a dealer so you tell how cruisers feel and if it's right for you. Personally, I would recommend getting something a little more neutral than a bike with ape hangers and forward controls until you are sure that's what you'd be comfortable riding.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Any advice on kick starting old bikes in the cold? Iv tried the conventional,(ie choke, turning engine over slowly a few times ect.) but I think its time to move onto more drastic measures. Before I go rig up some crazy contraption and blow the place up does anyone know if heating the engine up from the outside will work? Maybe a lighter under my engine, or a blow dryer to warm it up? I don't think its my points, because just yesterday when it was warmer i could start it in under 20 tries.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

philkop posted:

Any advice on kick starting old bikes in the cold? Iv tried the conventional,(ie choke, turning engine over slowly a few times ect.) but I think its time to move onto more drastic measures.
For very cold weather operation, it's often necessary to go with a richer pilot jet. Or even just backing out your mixture screw a little.

Though I think I've mentioned this before about your bike. It should start second kick. If it's not (and you said it took you tens of kicks to get it going again..) you need to clean your pilot circuit

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Nerobro posted:

For very cold weather operation, it's often necessary to go with a richer pilot jet. Or even just backing out your mixture screw a little.

Though I think I've mentioned this before about your bike. It should start second kick. If it's not (and you said it took you tens of kicks to get it going again..) you need to clean your pilot circuit

Yeah you have mentioned it, I thought 10+ kicks was the norm >>, my old moped was even worse! I'll give that a try then, thanks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

philkop posted:

Yeah I gave that a go, no luck. I think I'm just going to take it in pretty soon, gotta get to work. Hows the sv650? I just barely got my first bike (1971 Honda SL100) 2 weeks ago and I'm planning for my next one once I save the dough. I love the look of those stripped sporty bikes. Then again I'd get a hard on off just about anything with an electric start after relentlessly kicking this piece of crap :P

The suspension is pretty bargain basement, but it gets the job done and I really like this bike a lot. Great engine, starts right up even in cold weather, lots of fun. Even better nothing has broken (yet) in the 12k miles it has on the odometer :)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
12k ! Wow, I'll have to look into that one once I *ahem* "acquire" some funds. *clenches fist and looks towards roommate who recently received a huge insurance check*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OK, so I just dumped my bike half on myself and half on the curb trying to park. Broke the end off the brake lever, but I don't think I did any other damage (fell on right side obviously). Fuel is off and bike is parked on the kickstand. I did a quick electrical check and all the lights and whatnot are fine, but have done nothing else with it.

Anything to look for before I start 'er up again? I couldn't see anything amiss after a quick check around with my flashlight, but I may not know what to look for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

OK, so I just dumped my bike half on myself and half on the curb trying to park. Broke the end off the brake lever, but I don't think I did any other damage (fell on right side obviously). Fuel is off and bike is parked on the kickstand. I did a quick electrical check and all the lights and whatnot are fine, but have done nothing else with it.

Anything to look for before I start 'er up again? I couldn't see anything amiss after a quick check around with my flashlight, but I may not know what to look for.

Check that all of the levers and controls are intact, and that the throttle snaps back cleanly. Besides that...nah. Just look at the places where it hit the ground to make sure you didn't do anything weird to it, like accidentally smack the poo poo out of a rotor on the way down.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

philkop posted:

Any advice on kick starting old bikes in the cold? Iv tried the conventional,(ie choke, turning engine over slowly a few times ect.) but I think its time to move onto more drastic measures. Before I go rig up some crazy contraption and blow the place up does anyone know if heating the engine up from the outside will work? Maybe a lighter under my engine, or a blow dryer to warm it up? I don't think its my points, because just yesterday when it was warmer i could start it in under 20 tries.

I would agree with Neroboro and say you should probably look at cleaning the pilot jets in your carbs.

If it's all set up right (jets clean, carbs synced, idle screws set) it really shouldn't take more than a few kicks.
My routine with the 350F this spring (the bike lived in an unheated garage in NEPA) was fuel on, choke on, two kicks. Turn electrics on and one or two more kicks had it going.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Z3n posted:

Check that all of the levers and controls are intact, and that the throttle snaps back cleanly. Besides that...nah. Just look at the places where it hit the ground to make sure you didn't do anything weird to it, like accidentally smack the poo poo out of a rotor on the way down.

And if the throttle doesn't snap back and stays where you left it, you just installed cruise control for free! :haw:

I haven't heard of severe problems if it doesn't snap back. I'd get it looked at to make sure the throttle still responds properlu, but there's no inherent danger in a throttle you have to turn both ways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Taisa posted:

And if the throttle doesn't snap back and stays where you left it, you just installed cruise control for free! :haw:

I haven't heard of severe problems if it doesn't snap back. I'd get it looked at to make sure the throttle still responds properlu, but there's no inherent danger in a throttle you have to turn both ways.

I had a friend who had a throttle like that. When the return cable snapped, he got pitched headfirst into a tree as the bike never throttled down and he was heading for a corner leaving his driveway. He panicked, and went for the front brake, unsure of what was going on and did a 50 or so foot rolling burnout into a tree...without a helmet. He got lucky and survived, but was pretty hosed up. He should have gone for the killswitch or clutch, but in a moment of panic went for the brakes instead. Wrong choice.

Don't ride around with your throttle sticking, it's asking for trouble. Sure, nothing may come of it, but it may also malfunction when you try to slam the throttle off as a car pulls in front of you.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 29, 2008

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Don't ride around with your throttle sticking, it's asking for trouble. Sure, nothing may come of it, but it may also malfunction when you try to slam the throttle off as a car pulls in front of you.
Totally agreeing with this. In most situations, I can "brake" sufficiently by rolling off the throttle, never even touching my brakes. Not having that or having that act differently would completely change how the bike rides.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
See if you can't find a two stroke to ride on, if that little amount of engine braking bothers you, think about what an open throttle would feel like.

That is the only thing that still bothers me about 2 strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Taisa posted:

Heh. I'd rather not, since that was one of the first things I had to fix when I got it.