Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I recently accidentally griefed a goon team in Warhammer Online.

Basically, the whole "TF2 heavy/medic" thing applies to WAR As well. There are tanks with tons of hit points, and then there are healers who sit back and keep them happy and alive. For some godawful reason, pubbies see this mass of flesh and think, KILL THAT FIRST, which is wrong because it's tough to make a dent in them. You need to take out their healers first, then any bright wizards (huuuge nuke damage and snares and all kinds of nastiness) and tanks should be last. Tanks don't do a whole lot of damage to a whole lot of people, especially at lower levels.

So, anyway, me and some goons roll into a new scenario (instanced PvP battleground, in this case it's sort of a capture-the-point style game). One goon immediately tells the rest of the group "remember to ignore tanks and go for healers".

So, just to be funny, I said "wtf noob y would we do that, go for tanks they are huuuuge".

The other goon immediately typed "Don't say that, not even joking, they'll believe you!"

They did believe me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very slippery Mom
Apr 25, 2003
I think a lot of online sports games lack any real way to grief other than, say, getting the ball and just kicking back while the other player waits for you or something. NHL09 makes it a little more entertaining by letting us play as a single player on an all-player team with no AIs online. Most people I see who are trying to annoy us either just run around deliberately racking up penalties or just sitting behind the net not doing anything. Last night I found a new and more entertaining way to piss people off.

We were up by one goal and the opposing team was starting to rack up penalties just to piss us off. One of them hit my guy in the leg with his stick for a slashing penalty and for the rest of the period I would wait for the faceoff and then hold down the dive buttons so that my player was just laying on the ice waving his stick around. This resulted in the following exchange:

Player: ZERO GET UP WHAT THE gently caress MAN GET ON D!
Me: I... I can't feel my legs, man! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LEGS?!
Player: FUCKER GET UP STOP LAYING THERE YOU human being!
Me: I CAN'T! MY GOD I CAN'T MOVE MY LEGS! THAT BASTARD TOOK OUT MY LEGS!

Line change gets called:

Me: PLEASE! TAKE ME WITH YOU! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE TO DIE! DON'T LEAVE ME MAN!

I shut up when people stopped talking (I was probably muted) but so long as I was on the ice I just lounged about.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Kessen posted:

I think a lot of online sports games lack any real way to grief other than, say, getting the ball and just kicking back while the other player waits for you or something. NHL09 makes it a little more entertaining by letting us play as a single player on an all-player team with no AIs online. Most people I see who are trying to annoy us either just run around deliberately racking up penalties or just sitting behind the net not doing anything. Last night I found a new and more entertaining way to piss people off.

We were up by one goal and the opposing team was starting to rack up penalties just to piss us off. One of them hit my guy in the leg with his stick for a slashing penalty and for the rest of the period I would wait for the faceoff and then hold down the dive buttons so that my player was just laying on the ice waving his stick around. This resulted in the following exchange:

Player: ZERO GET UP WHAT THE gently caress MAN GET ON D!
Me: I... I can't feel my legs, man! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LEGS?!
Player: FUCKER GET UP STOP LAYING THERE YOU human being!
Me: I CAN'T! MY GOD I CAN'T MOVE MY LEGS! THAT BASTARD TOOK OUT MY LEGS!

Line change gets called:

Me: PLEASE! TAKE ME WITH YOU! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE TO DIE! DON'T LEAVE ME MAN!

I shut up when people stopped talking (I was probably muted) but so long as I was on the ice I just lounged about.

That is very excellent.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheLakers posted:

Actually, it's one of the best griefing techniques.
Throwing a smoke grenade into a window that may or may not have a sniper in it, when you happen to walk past? I would hardly consider that to be a staple of griefing. IOf course smoke grenades are excellent for griefing, but this particular individuals' "griefing" story is like a little kid sitting on their parent's lap holding the wheel while the parent drives, then the kid shouting "I drove the car! Did you see how awesome it was!?"

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Throwing a smoke grenade into a window that may or may not have a sniper in it, when you happen to walk past? I would hardly consider that to be a staple of griefing. IOf course smoke grenades are excellent for griefing, but this particular individuals' "griefing" story is like a little kid sitting on their parent's lap holding the wheel while the parent drives, then the kid shouting "I drove the car! Did you see how awesome it was!?"

Seriously. The Smoke grenade exists for a reason, and unless this is UO or Eve, I doubt the reason is "To Grief Players".

the meaning of griefing, like most things, has degenerated as the old guard gives way to the new, as the next generation is brought up in safer, more coddled surroundings. Where it once meant that effort was involved, that the action taken was unique and humorous, it has now spiraled down to point where doing ANYTHING that makes the other players life inconvenient is "griefing". I await the dark day when scoring a point in basketball or hockey is "griefing" the other team, when winning a game is considered an "epic grief".

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

coyo7e posted:

words

teamdest posted:

words

I dunno judging by you guys caring enough to post I'd say it was griefing.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
It's like telling a joke that isn't a joke and calling it funny. "I ate a sandwich today at Subway..... Why isn't anyone laughing?!" So writing about a grief that isn't a grief "I threw a smoke grenade and it blinded someone."(unless it was your own team repeatedly.) Just isn't high class grief'n.

Unless the post was meant to be a forum grief and we all know that is just fakepost-trollin country there.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

I am Communist posted:

unless it was your own team repeatedly.)

Now that would be some good griefing. If one or two of his team's snipers were overlooking the parking lot in Broadcast and he was just dropping smoke constantly, knowing they were trying to get a good shot, I'd say that counts.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

This kind of arguments makes me want to start a band called Grief Will Eat Itself.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The post about NWN roleplaying servers pages and months ago was astoundingly accurate, and dicking around in them, especially the persistant world ones, was always fun.

One of our favourite tricks came about through emote abuse, and justifying it in a completely deadpan, serious, in-character manner. One of the best emotes NWN had was the one that made your character model physically lie down. Of course, this had two variations: face-down and face-up. What was special about this was the ability to toggle between them with very little delay. This resulted in us walking into a town and flopping about in the middle of roleplaying exchanges under such amazing pretenses as 'our characters have epilipsy and the campfire is setting it off' to 'you have got to help us, our water breathing spell has gone horribly wrong!'.

This would usually result in one of three things: a server kick, an extremely prolonged awkward silence punctuated by our PCs flipping forward and back, or in the best case, an even more awkward attempt by the roleplayers to solve our flipping problem in character. Good times, for when you realise just how boring the vanilla campaign is.

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.

teamdest posted:

the meaning of griefing, like most things, has degenerated as the old guard gives way to the new, as the next generation is brought up in safer, more coddled surroundings.

Is this a fakepost?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

I think its griefing too. Even if it is the other team, you usually kill the person sniping, not continually drop smokes on his head while he is trying to snipe.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

By that kind of logic pretty much anything anyone has ever done as a Stealth Black Hand trooper on Renegade qualifies as griefing.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I guess infecting the other team as a medic in TF2 should also count. drat, I never realized I was such a masterclass griefer.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
In everquest before even the first expansion, Lower Guk was my hotspot.

The thing with the zone was it was easy to get deep down on dead side with just an undead invisibility. I would charm and cast see invisible on a random frog and then release it.

It was good to cast it on certain frogs because even though LGuk was farmed, no one bothered to pull a few frogs.

It started to become less effective when LGuk was camped 24/7 and you could walk from zone in to the last undead named without seeing a single roamer.

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

EVIR Gibson posted:

In everquest before even the first expansion, Lower Guk was my hotspot.

The thing with the zone was it was easy to get deep down on dead side with just an undead invisibility. I would charm and cast see invisible on a random frog and then release it.

It was good to cast it on certain frogs because even though LGuk was farmed, no one bothered to pull a few frogs.

It started to become less effective when LGuk was camped 24/7 and you could walk from zone in to the last undead named without seeing a single roamer.

For the massive number of people who didn't play everquest, could you explain what exactly this frog thing actually does?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Brain In A Jar posted:

The post about NWN roleplaying servers pages and months ago was astoundingly accurate, and dicking around in them, especially the persistant world ones, was always fun.

One of our favourite tricks came about through emote abuse, and justifying it in a completely deadpan, serious, in-character manner. One of the best emotes NWN had was the one that made your character model physically lie down. Of course, this had two variations: face-down and face-up. What was special about this was the ability to toggle between them with very little delay. This resulted in us walking into a town and flopping about in the middle of roleplaying exchanges under such amazing pretenses as 'our characters have epilipsy and the campfire is setting it off' to 'you have got to help us, our water breathing spell has gone horribly wrong!'.

This would usually result in one of three things: a server kick, an extremely prolonged awkward silence punctuated by our PCs flipping forward and back, or in the best case, an even more awkward attempt by the roleplayers to solve our flipping problem in character. Good times, for when you realise just how boring the vanilla campaign is.

I was actually a DM on one of the fairly major RP servers at the time (The Three Kingdoms), and poo poo, as long as you were entertaining enough *I* wouldn't have kicked for that. (Other people might have, but I wouldn't.)

One of our favorite things to do when there wasn't anyone doing poo poo was just to teleport around until we found people abusing the /whisper command to have cybersex, and then just have the most unlikely NPCs walk in on them and start harassing them.

... until we banned the one for trying to get the 6-year old kid to join in :gonk:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nyphur posted:

For the massive number of people who didn't play everquest, could you explain what exactly this frog thing actually does?

Okay. There is a dead side and live side in Guk. The dead side is full of undead zombie frogs and easily avoidable bats. Since the frogs were undead, a simple invis to undead spell could make it so you can run past everything to your chosen camp.

But if you buffed an undead frog with See Invisibility, they could now see the players with Invis to Undead and jump them as they run past which no player was prepared for.

It's the same thing as buffing a level 3 monster with every single buff from cleric/shaman/enchanter/druid and with the increases HP, attack speed increase, and damage shield, they could very much be consider a level 20 monster since they attack so fast.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Rainbow Six: Vegas for the PC

If you put a comma in your name and the server you joined had PB enabled the server would flip out and kick everyone from the server. That was always fun to do.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

teamdest posted:

Seriously. The Smoke grenade exists for a reason, and unless this is UO or Eve, I doubt the reason is "To Grief Players".

When smoke grenades were first introduced to CS, that pretty much was the reason to use them. The engine couldn't handle the way they were implemented, so people called them "lag grenades". Since it's CS, every round would quickly have both teams meet in the same passageway, so it's easy to get bored with the same routine every time. The solution? Throw a lag grenade into the middle of it, and nobody would even look in that direction for the sake of their frame rates. So, instead of having a firefight as usual, everybody just sort of hangs out until the grenade expires. Since you could often get kicked from the server, I'd call that griefing.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

AuMaestro posted:

When smoke grenades were first introduced to CS, that pretty much was the reason to use them. The engine couldn't handle the way they were implemented, so people called them "lag grenades". Since it's CS, every round would quickly have both teams meet in the same passageway, so it's easy to get bored with the same routine every time. The solution? Throw a lag grenade into the middle of it, and nobody would even look in that direction for the sake of their frame rates. So, instead of having a firefight as usual, everybody just sort of hangs out until the grenade expires. Since you could often get kicked from the server, I'd call that griefing.

There's an enormous difference between using a smoke grenade to conceal your position from a sniper or using it to force the opponent to redirect their forces (a valid possibility in the scenario you posited) versus using it to lag everyone up or halt the game. While someone may get mad at your legitimate use of a smoke grenade, it's not something a normal person would get bent out of shape about since it should be an expected occurance. Usage of it in classic CS to "pause" the game is actually pretty drat funny for a grief, since it highlights the static, impossible-to-improvise nature of many CS players.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
One fun way to grief people in older versions of GTA:SA multiplayer would be to cause big explosions - like plane explosions - in people's field of view.

If you watched a plane explode, chances are you'd hear a half second of the explosion then crash to the desktop.

Find a big group of people, flip a harrier over and watch the player list shrink!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Longinus00 posted:

I guess infecting the other team as a medic in TF2 should also count. drat, I never realized I was such a masterclass griefer.
Given that the medic does not have the ability to do that in TF2 I'd say that's some pretty good greifing, actually.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Longinus00 posted:

Care to elaborate?

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe he means sneaking in as a Spy disguised as a medic and backstabbing people? Other than that I have no idea what he's talking about.

Mirsha
May 20, 2001

I love riding the man-train
It's an ironic statement since you cannot infect people in TF2, that would be the original TF that had infections which are a game play mechanic and therefore not griefing. Unless of course you did that bug thing that let you infect people as a spectator.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
That spectator bug sounds pretty cool..to youtube I go.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mirsha posted:

the original TF that had infections which are a game play mechanic and therefore not griefing.

Despite accidentally naming the sequel instead, this was pretty much his point. It's the same type of griefing (ie: not at all) as using a smoke grenade where a sniper is hiding.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

Despite accidentally naming the sequel instead, this was pretty much his point. It's the same type of griefing (ie: not at all) as using a smoke grenade where a sniper is hiding.
Dude can't you read!? Everybody decided that using smoke grenades in a shooter is nothing but griefing, no matter the circumstance, consistency, or reasoning. :rolleyes:

Also, someone posted about the spectator infection thing a while back, it was pretty funny.. This is certainly one of those threads (like a good Lets Play) where showing up late and reading every page is just as good as being there from the start.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
WoW - Water-Walking People to their Doom
There are a ton of places in WoW where you can take a nice long jump into a lake or river for fun. Sometimes you needed to jump into a body of water for a specific quest or to proceed in a dungeon.

The Shaman class has a spell which gives the target the ability to walk on water as if it were any other solid surface.

There was a particularly popular instance, Mauradon, which begins with you dropping down a very large jump into a lake. Normally harmless, unless I was in your party.

I would zone in first and use a Parachute to slow my fall so I could target and cast on my party mates instead of just plopping into the lake. As my party members would zone in one-by-one, I would buff each of them with the Water-Walking ability. A few seconds and much confusion later, my party members would be lying face down on top of the water, dead. People rarely realized it was because of my spell, and they'd just shrug it off as bad luck or a bug. I remember doing the instance with some friends and one of them on Vent going "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" followed by "HOW THE gently caress DID THE WATER KILL ME???!"

I did this to all of my guildmates constantly in various dungeons and areas to the point where they'd ALWAYS make me jump down a ledge first. It was funny when we'd have a new recruit jump first down some innocuous ledge only to crater on water, of all things.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Using the medic's infection ability in TF to infect enemies: not griefing.
Getting yourself infected and then running around the base until every single teammate switches to medic (which is immune): A+++ griefing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

dangerous.hotdog posted:

WoW - Water-Walking People to their Doom
There are a ton of places in WoW where you can take a nice long jump into a lake or river for fun. Sometimes you needed to jump into a body of water for a specific quest or to proceed in a dungeon.

The Shaman class has a spell which gives the target the ability to walk on water as if it were any other solid surface.

There was a particularly popular instance, Mauradon, which begins with you dropping down a very large jump into a lake. Normally harmless, unless I was in your party.

I would zone in first and use a Parachute to slow my fall so I could target and cast on my party mates instead of just plopping into the lake. As my party members would zone in one-by-one, I would buff each of them with the Water-Walking ability. A few seconds and much confusion later, my party members would be lying face down on top of the water, dead. People rarely realized it was because of my spell, and they'd just shrug it off as bad luck or a bug. I remember doing the instance with some friends and one of them on Vent going "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" followed by "HOW THE gently caress DID THE WATER KILL ME???!"

I did this to all of my guildmates constantly in various dungeons and areas to the point where they'd ALWAYS make me jump down a ledge first. It was funny when we'd have a new recruit jump first down some innocuous ledge only to crater on water, of all things.

I love this. On one of the other pages, there was a story about some boss with a super-powerful attack that you can avoid by diving underwater so he'd use water walking on his allies so they can't.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Nyphur posted:

For example, there's an open PvP system with after-the-fact punishment for killing someone in a police-protected area. That means that much like -Atom- there did in UO, you can make a new character to kill players until his security status is nuked, then delete him and make another.

Sadly, recycling alts to "clean up" security status is now bannable. :(

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Zereth posted:

Given that the medic does not have the ability to do that in TF2 I'd say that's some pretty good greifing, actually.

Gah, I meant to say TFC. I've never even played TF2. Brainfart guys.

I blame it on all those youtube TF2 videos in the thread.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 6, 2008

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

AuMaestro posted:

Using the medic's infection ability in TF to infect enemies: not griefing.
Getting yourself infected and then running around the base until every single teammate switches to medic (which is immune): A+++ griefing.

Doing so while a spectator: A++++++++?

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

dennyk posted:

Sadly, recycling alts to "clean up" security status is now bannable. :(
Technically it's always been bannable, but the actual bannable offence is the recycling and not the use of alts. The key is whether you're doing it deliberately and repeatedly to circumvent the security rating system. They're really looking for people who are making a new alt every week so they can camp the same spot in highsec and gank haulers every day. You can make a lot of kills before becoming an outlaw, I never even got my character below -3 in a month of suiciding labs. To be honest, I ran out of targets and got bored long before I even hit -3.

Nyphur fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 6, 2008

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Spiffo posted:

I love this. On one of the other pages, there was a story about some boss with a super-powerful attack that you can avoid by diving underwater so he'd use water walking on his allies so they can't.

If you make your character face straight down you fall through water like normal, a lot of people don't know that I don't think, I have had some of my friends accidentally survive my attempts to kill them. :(

Also in Mauradon, for many groups after you kill the main boss at the end you usually jump off a cliff into water for another boss or two, another prime opportunity. In Underbog after you fight the hydra the party has to jump off a platform into water, its not far enough to kill at full health I don't think, but someone that is low on health after the boss fight is a prime target.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Just keeping with the WoW spirit

Whole instance of mobs!

In one of the exceedingly popular endgame instances, Blackrock Spire, there was a section where there were angry orcs on one side of a gap, and your party on the other side. I don't remember it completely well, but I believe it was a long path to get to those mobs

But why wait for them? Just shoot at one across the gap, or stray close enough that they see you and want to attack you! They'll then run along the entire instance, with all of their friends, constantly picking up new, hostile, orcs to come and eat your face off

The beauty of this situation comes from using an escape technique right as half of the dungeon charges through your group. Pull it off right, and they'd massacre your group, and not you. Pull it off wrong? Well then, then you can pin the blame on someone else. Hopefully

Death summoning!

In WoW, there are warlocks. One of the warlock's many abilities is to summon people. People generally don't really check where they're being summoned, especially back in the day

Get a warlock and a friend. Find a cliff where, if you summon the portal, it will be over the cliff. Summon over a another 'friend', either an annoying gold begging newbie or an equally annoying gold farmer. If all goes well, they should fall off the cliff. Hopefully, they'll fall so far that they die

This also works over pits of lava and deep underwater, but the greatest use was so cruel that it just added insult to injury

Hyjal death summoning!

Back before Burning Crusade, if one used some inventive cliff jumping, they could get nearly anywhere in the game, including a massive unfinished zone known as Hyjal. Hyjal didn't have much, but what it did have was glorious

It had the deepest pit of water in the game. If you did not have a water breathing buff, you would drown if you tried to escape. So, naturally, we set about with a warlock, and started summoning random gold farmers and the like. Seeing as they didn't have water breathing buffs, they very quickly died after futiling trying to escape

But here's the beautiful part. When you die in WoW, you generally respawn in the zone, at a graveyard. However, Hyjal had nowhere to respawn, so you instead respawned in Ashenvale, which was not only 3 zones away from Hyjal in the first place, but it was impossible to get back into Hyjal in the first place, because you couldn't use a mount while dead. Therefore, we forced them to take the debuff that happens from getting auto-resurrected at graveyards, or many futile hours of running back across half of the country to try and get back to their corpse

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mecheon posted:

Whole instance of mobs!

Another awesome aspect of this is that if you do it without anyone noticing, it takes a long, long time before the whole group of angry mobs reaches your party, thus making it that much more confusing when suddenly you have 50 orcs and dogs romping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mecheon posted:

Whole instance of mobs!

In one of the exceedingly popular endgame instances, Blackrock Spire, there was a section where there were angry orcs on one side of a gap, and your party on the other side. I don't remember it completely well, but I believe it was a long path to get to those mobs

But why wait for them? Just shoot at one across the gap, or stray close enough that they see you and want to attack you! They'll then run along the entire instance, with all of their friends, constantly picking up new, hostile, orcs to come and eat your face off

The beauty of this situation comes from using an escape technique right as half of the dungeon charges through your group. Pull it off right, and they'd massacre your group, and not you. Pull it off wrong? Well then, then you can pin the blame on someone else. Hopefully

Long time ago I had a Paladin with engineering and I ran Gnomergon for the first time. I used a Gnomish Remote control and took control of a mob and had it jump off the ledge and into a pit. Then I forgot about it. About a minute later, that mob came running up with about 60 friends and insta-gibbed our group. As a paladin I can go invincible and leave the instance after doing that.

• Locked thread