Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Yes. Sometimes they do. The early GSX-R750R's had dry clutches, while the normal GSX-R750's had wet clutches. There are conversion kits for lots of bikes too.

Dry clutches have the singular advantage of not being bathed in oil. That means you're not blowing horsepower slinging oil off the clutch. That's also their disadvantage.

Oil bathed clutches wear less. They stay cooler. They are quieter. They have one less oil seal to worry about. Wet clutches rule. :-)

Interesting. So why is it so desirable to be able to slip the clutch on a bike (Either on the track or the street) vs. a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zenaida posted:

Interesting. So why is it so desirable to be able to slip the clutch on a bike (Either on the track or the street) vs. a car?
less torque so you have to rev higher and slip the clutch more to get going from a stop. i think.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

I've seen GSX-R1100s with dry clutches. I don't think it shows gain for most racers, though. Why replace it with a dry clutch when you could put a slipper on there instead?
Dry clutches can be slipper clutches too.

Zenaida posted:

It's desirable to be able to slip the clutch on a car too. Slipping the clutch gives you control over the vehicle at less than idle in first gear speeds. It also lets you soften the blow from gear changes. You just don't do it in cars because their clutches can't take the heat. Literally, they overheat and glaze over. Same can happen on motorcycles, but the oil bath makes that a lot less likely. Slipping the clutch in any vehicle makes it smoother, and easier on passengers, cargo, and tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

Dry clutches can be slipper clutches too.

Ya, but typically it's one kit to convert it to slipper and another kit to convert it to dry...just not worthwhile.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Two stroke question.

I've got a bug in my rear end about taking apart my RD. It's pretty much boxes of parts right now but I still have the engine in the frame. I'll probably pull that soon enough. Anyway, I pulled the jugs and heads off to check the pistons which look ok, the right one looks nice, the left is a little charred on the sides, but anyway, while I had the cylinders off I noticed my crank was in a pool of gas. Like literally sitting in a puddle gas up to the top of the crank.

This isn't normal right? It's supposed to be a air/gas mixture. Maybe this is why it was running so rich. How do I go about draining this? Thanks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For 99.9999999999999% of people out there, dry clutches are a pose-factor thing, due to the noise they make and the "Ooooh spinny things" factor. Hence all the pant leg munching wide-open billet clutch covers for Ducatis.

TheFonz posted:

Two stroke question.

I've got a bug in my rear end about taking apart my RD. It's pretty much boxes of parts right now but I still have the engine in the frame. I'll probably pull that soon enough. Anyway, I pulled the jugs and heads off to check the pistons which look ok, the right one looks nice, the left is a little charred on the sides, but anyway, while I had the cylinders off I noticed my crank was in a pool of gas. Like literally sitting in a puddle gas up to the top of the crank.

This isn't normal right? It's supposed to be a air/gas mixture. Maybe this is why it was running so rich. How do I go about draining this? Thanks.

My RD was the same way, not quite as full, but it had a pool of oil in the crankcase (Check valve in the pump stuck open). I just sucked it out with a vaccuum brake bleeder. If you have a crankcase full of gas, it means that your carbs arent stopping the flow of gas properly, and they just drain into the intake, and then down into the crankcase. Theres no oil in there because it happens when the engine is off, and the pump is not running.

Really, the only time you have to be really concerned is if there is transmission (motor) oil in the crankcase, as that means your crank seals are shot.
Most 2-strokes will start to pool gas if left to idle for a while even. Then you have to rev them pretty good to clear them out.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 6, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

For 99.9999999999999% of people out there, dry clutches are a pose-factor thing, due to the noise they make and the "Ooooh spinny things" factor. Hence all the pant leg munching wide-open billet clutch covers for Ducatis.

I find it hilarious when people run those covers and a loving rock gets sucked into it and shot out at high speed. Faaaantastic.

I love the muffled jingle of a dry clutch behind an enclosed cover. It's like music playing just for me.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

greg_graffin posted:

My bike has been squeaking/squealing terribly the past week or so. It only does it when the wheels are turning so I'm thinking it's either the wheel bearings or something with the brakes. I know squeaky brakes are a common thing, but this sound occurs whether I'm braking, accelerating, or coasting.

It's most noticable when I'm putting around a parking lot and gets quieter the faster I go. Yesterday in traffic it felt like something was holding the bike in place, as I could hold the clutch in on an incline, let off the front and/or rear brake and the bike would sit in place and not roll back like it usually does. When I went to accelerate the back would squat down for a moment, which makes me think the rear brake is sticking somehow. When I get home tonight I'll put it on the centerstand and spin each wheel and let you know if I can isolate the sound. The front brake is a disc, the rear is a drum.

Anything else I should check that could be an easy fix?

How dry is your chain? A really dry chain will sound like a big box of mice squeaking when you are rolling at slow speeds. I'd imagine it still makes noise when you are going faster but the wind and engine noise drown it out.
A really dry/stuck chain would account for the drag as well.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Bugdrvr posted:

How dry is your chain? A really dry chain will sound like a big box of mice squeaking when you are rolling at slow speeds.
I clean and lube it every couple weeks, so I doubt that's what it is. I think I'm going to take apart the rear drum and make sure everything looks ok and maybe do the same to the front brake. Would a ton of dust in the rear drum cause a squeaking/squealing?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Lemming posted:

Can anybody recommend an insurance company for around the suburbs of New York City?I used Progressive for the past year, charged me $300, a bit pricey, but whatever. Now they want me to pay $400 for the same coverage, so gently caress that. Plus it's 400 dollars to cover a tiny Ninja 250. It just seems kind of ridiculous.

I pay $116/yr for my 250. I use State Farm, I live in Upstate Ny, I am also 29 with a clean driving record (no tickets for 8 years). I also have a loan on the bike so I have full coverage, no clue how much it would be with min coverage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

Does anyone get Sport Rider Magazine? I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the issue from this summer with the street-fighter R1 (it was red if that helpss anyone). Anyone want to sell me theirs?

I've got it, want it?

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
I've been riding for about 4 months now and since I started getting a little more aggressive with my riding I've noticed that the rear end of my bike tends to get a little wiggly when I brake hard before a corner.

Should I just use more rear brake? Or should I have a look at adjusting my suspension?

The bike in question is a CBR250, I bought it used and it hasn't been modified (other than getting a new exhaust, since the old one was punctured)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kyon posted:

I've been riding for about 4 months now and since I started getting a little more aggressive with my riding I've noticed that the rear end of my bike tends to get a little wiggly when I brake hard before a corner.

Should I just use more rear brake? Or should I have a look at adjusting my suspension?

The bike in question is a CBR250, I bought it used and it hasn't been modified (other than getting a new exhaust, since the old one was punctured)

Check your tire pressure first, that could cause this and is most likely/cheapest to fix.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Kyon posted:

15yr old stock suspension?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Aaaaaaaaa I can't stop thinking about the clutch getting a tiny bit of the skin on my leg, then before I can react it has skinned it and torn a chunk off the muscle :gonk:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ola posted:

Aaaaaaaaa I can't stop thinking about the clutch getting a tiny bit of the skin on my leg, then before I can react it has skinned it and torn a chunk off the muscle :gonk:

Want to never sleep again?

Google imagesearch "degloving".

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Phat_Albert posted:

I've got it, want it?

Definitely. Email me at cmorrow001 at gmail or let me know where to reach you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

Definitely. Email me at cmorrow001 at gmail or let me know where to reach you.

email sent

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Phat_Albert posted:

email sent

I somehow didn't get it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Like an idiot, I sent it to gmail.c.om, so it should be there now.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

shaitan posted:

I pay $116/yr for my 250. I use State Farm, I live in Upstate Ny, I am also 29 with a clean driving record (no tickets for 8 years). I also have a loan on the bike so I have full coverage, no clue how much it would be with min coverage.

gently caress you guys. I use State Farm, I'm 30 with a clean record. $1000/year. Three zeroes. For a KZ1000, with only liability. I paid $800 for the drat bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha! Wow, at 27 with a not-so-clean record, I pay $240/yr for a 2000 1200 Bandit.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kyon posted:

old/flat/squared off rear tyre, poor rev matching on downshifts, too much rear brake, old and tired suspension.
any of these things could be causing it, give a bit more info on the general state of your bikie

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

gently caress you guys. I use State Farm, I'm 30 with a clean record. $1000/year. Three zeroes. For a KZ1000, with only liability. I paid $800 for the drat bike.

Wow, what the gently caress. You need to change insurance companies...

My g/f has state farm, clean record, 23, and she paid 400$ a year for full coverage on her 2002 SV.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
I'm 24 and pay $230 a year for full coverage on an 03 SV650 with Progressive. I've had some tickets and accidents in the past, but I think they're all off my record now.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

waptang posted:

I'm 24 and pay $230 a year for full coverage on an 03 SV650 with Progressive. I've had some tickets and accidents in the past, but I think they're all off my record now.

This is why comparing insurance rates is nonsense. I have almost the same bike, same age, same company, and I pay five times that. Zip code is a huge factor. My insurance went down about $300 when I moved my bike fifteen miles closer to downtown.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Thanks for the assorted help!

I'll have a closer look at my bike when I get home from work.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Bike insurance is weird stuff.

When I was looking at bikes last spring, I narrowed it down to 2 bikes, a Buellysses, or a R1150GS. The price was roughly the same and I liked them both, I almost pulled the trigger on the Buellysses but checked the insurance rates first.
Best I found was $800, worst was $1100, full coverage. Full coverage on the GS with Progressive was, and still is, $279. For a 46YO married male with no tickets, no accidents (that I reported) and decent credit. Guess which bike I bought?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Z3n posted:

Wow, what the gently caress. You need to change insurance companies...

My g/f has state farm, clean record, 23, and she paid 400$ a year for full coverage on her 2002 SV.

That is the lowest price I could get in the province. Yeah, Canadian province. Most insurance companies wouldn't even insure me, and the few that do bikes were sky-high. This is totally normal here. I pay less for my car.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mr.belowaverage posted:

Did you shop around?

I called State Farm to get the same agent as the previous owner, got someone else who then promptly tried to sell me a combo that included life insurance that I didn't need or want. So I said "forget that" and went looking around.

I got a great quote from Kingsway through a Southland Broker and went with them, plus they give discounts for having completed a safety course and being a member of the OMA. Of course, I'm taking about a 28 year old 400cc standard, so as always YMMV.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Location has as much or more to do with rates that driving records it seems like.

In NEPA I paid $75 a year on my 350F. My friend with a two year old Z1000? $75 a year.

In San Diego the best I could do was $400 a year through State Farm for my GS. Same driving record, no new tickets or anything.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I think my battery is dead, but I don't want to buy a new one and find out I was wrong.

I have a Yamaha XT225 which can be a bit hard to start cold sometimes. The other night it cranked and cranked and I just gave up without actually riding it. I'm pretty sure that's probably what drained the battery. I rode it a few days later though, so I didn't think anything of it.

Now when I turn the ignition, not even the neutral light or headlight turn on. I jumped the bike and rode for about 10 miles or so, turned it off, tried to turn it back on... not even the neutral light came on. I push started it and it worked fine but the battery isn't holding a charge.

It's a '94 model and I don't know how old the battery is.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

I think this is probably ok, but I want to be sure about it.

Can I use this oil in my Honda Rebel 250?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

Weight/Viscosity is correct. I have a couple quarts of this and would like to use it. I always used M1 Synthetic in my jeep with good results/luck.

As a side question, are synthetics/partial synthetics often used in motorcycles? I realize that even with cars/trucks most people find regular oil to be just fine with proper oil change frequency. . .

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

JebattoRocket posted:

Make sure it doesn't say "Energy-conserving" and it should be fine. It's usually in a little white circle/"donut".

Synthetic is probably more the norm for bikes. It's like like 2.3L will cost much, even if you buy mobil1. :)

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Make sure it doesn't say "Energy-conserving" and it should be fine. It's usually in a little white circle/"donut".

Synthetic is probably more the norm for bikes. It's like like 2.3L will cost much, even if you buy mobil1. :)

Nope, nothing about energy conserving or anything. Small motor on this bike-- takes less than 2 quarts.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
I hear a lot of people saying you need to down shift before you head into a curve. Well my bike (250r) is in 6th gear past 28 mph, well a bit more generally, but that's what the manual tells me. So is it fine that I just stay in 6th all the time unless I need to slow down under 30? I usually lose a couple mph as I enter the curve since I'm letting off the throttle and then gain it back as I power though the curve. This is correct, right?

Oh and isn't it pretty pointless to slow down by downshifting on my bike? If I'm rolling up to a stop sign I generally just hold in the clutch and downshift to 1st and use the brakes to stop. That's after letting off the throttle and coasting down in speed a bit.

Even in slow traffic it's usually at least 35 mph around here, so gears 2-5 don't get much love.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You should definitely be in a lower gear at 30 mph. I go up a gear about every 10 mph or so, so I'd be in 3rd or 4th on my bike. It keeps you in the power band, which is good for quicker maneuvers and more engine braking, should you need it. It's not like your 250 is burning so much fuel that you need to worry about a slight decrease in fuel economy.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Uthor posted:

You should definitely be in a lower gear at 30 mph. I go up a gear about every 10 mph or so, so I'd be in 3rd or 4th on my bike. It keeps you in the power band, which is good for quicker maneuvers and more engine braking, should you need it. It's not like your 250 is burning so much fuel that you need to worry about a slight decrease in fuel economy.

Well it doesn't bog down if I have it in 6th gear at 30. According to the manual it's:

Upshift --------- Downshift
1->2 (12) ------ 6->5 (15)
2->3 (15) ------ 5->4 (12)
3->4 (19) ------ 4->3 (09)
4->5 (21) ------ 3->2 (09)
5->6 (28) ------ 2->1 (09)

Just from the sound of the engine I usually shift up a little later. I wait till it changes pitch, otherwise I'd be shifting constantly. It runs fine like that but people keep telling me that I'm shifting too early. Of course my boss is mostly who I talk to about it and he owns a liter bike.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

QnoisX posted:

Well it doesn't bog down if I have it in 6th gear at 30. According to the manual it's:

Upshift --------- Downshift
1->2 (12) ------ 6->5 (15)
2->3 (15) ------ 5->4 (12)
3->4 (19) ------ 4->3 (09)
4->5 (21) ------ 3->2 (09)
5->6 (28) ------ 2->1 (09)

Just from the sound of the engine I usually shift up a little later. I wait till it changes pitch, otherwise I'd be shifting constantly. It runs fine like that but people keep telling me that I'm shifting too early. Of course my boss is mostly who I talk to about it and he owns a liter bike.

Yeah, you are shifting way too early. I usually am in 3'rd while puttering around at 30mph on my '07 250. Even when I was breaking it in I wasn't keeping my gearing as low as you are.

If you are breaking it in, it's ok to go beyond what the sticker tells you, Kawasaki uses the same RPM's for breaking in an engine for a bike that has a 7k redline and a 13k redline. Just make sure to vary your speeds/rpms on your rides for the first 500-1000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Kawasaki 500 cc engine has more torque than yours and I have no power at that low of an RPM. Hell, my car has gobs of torque and would be on the verge of stalling if I tried to accelerate like that. The manual state the minimums; you can safely take it much higher. In fact, you should for your own safety so you can move quickly if you need to.

Like I said, at easy cruising, I take my speed, divide by ten, and that's the gear I should be in at a minimum (3rd gear at 30 mph, etc). When accelerating, I go much, much higher (75 mph in 3rd)