Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

What the hell? I don't know what to think about that.

Information requested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

What the hell? I don't know what to think about that.

Information requested.

Its the Autokonexion fast back. I'd rather they just imported the miata coupe...

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

destructo posted:

I guess, I mean, I had hot tick up the wazoo running Valvoline dino oil, switched to Mobil 1 10w30, the first change I started getting hot tick about 1500 miles in, now I'm at 3000 on my second change with no tick whatsoever.

I had tick with Valvoline as well, now I'm on Mobil 1 and it only ticks for a few seconds on startup, and not every time. More anecdotes yay

Yesterday I found out why I had squealing and had to fight the steering wheel at low speeds; loose belt. Tomorrow or Sunday I'm going to replace the speedometer cable because the one that's in there now is SQUEAKY AS HELL, and it's about the last annoying noise left on my car. Excitement!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

FireTora posted:

Its the Autokonexion fast back. I'd rather they just imported the miata coupe...

Mazda needs to take note of it and rethink their coupe.

Which is to say they need to start making the NA again.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

FireTora posted:

It's a C-West CF top, never seen one live before though so I don't know how it is.

It's fiberglass with a single layer of wet carbon. The only "real" CF top out there is the dry-carbon APR top which runs about $3k+ before seals and glass.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
oh god that is HOT

regarding lifter tick, I haven't got any :D I used Liqui-Moly hydraulic lifter additive, and now it ticks for the first second or so on startup, and when I let it idle for too long. I've driven about 500km since, so we'll see what happens down the road.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well, due to an expanding family and other needs, the Miata is going to have to go in the Spring.

For those that don't know, I bought the Miata that inspired Miata.net, Gary Fischman's "Max" from another AI guy after it had been stolen and partially stripped. The story is in the SA archives and the car's history was told when it was Miata of the Month last year: http://miata.net/motm/2007/max.html

This car is one of the few Miatas out there that has a history significant enough to add to its value. Along with being Gary's car, it is also the only Miata that has been MOTM twice.

The good -- it's FAST. It's got a fully built 1.6l motor that I'm running at about 18PSI and it is balls fast. I didn't get it to the track, but it laughs at my dad's LS2 GTO. Put your foot down in second gear at 40mph and it will break the tires loose with no clutch play, just simple power overload. The engine, drivetrain and suspension are built with all the "right stuff."

The not-so-good -- it's got a nice cloth top, but it's seen some wear and there are a couple near-holes. It generally needs finished. I got it to 90%+ and just started driving it, so there are a number of random trim and tuning issues. The only operational problem is a "dead spot" at about 5000rpm under full throttle. I'm sure this is just a tuning issue, but I haven't even looked at the keypad to see what's up.

See, when I got the car I had much more free time to myself and not so much in the family-obligation arena. As time went on, this car was the first thing that saw no attention. Since the MOTM writeup the car hasn't seen more than 250 miles. :smith:

The bad -- the driver's rear fender. It is pushed in and the paint is scraped off. You can see it in the MOTM cover picture. I was going to just get some fender flares and that would cover the majority of the problem. Other than that, there are two tiny rust bubble areas on the bottom lip of the trunklid, but other than that, the car is completely solid.

Also, the frame rails underneath are pretty dented up. I was intending on doing an FM Butterfly Brace, which would help tremendously, but ran out of time and inclination.

As it is, I don't really care if I sell it now or in the Spring. I'm not posting it anywhere but AI right now, but if you're interested in making an offer, shoot me an email to meatpimp at gmail.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
edit: i reed gud

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 12, 2008

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Yay me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

I decided to try the clutch made by Spec for 1.6L miatas and the fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel. The pedal feel ended up feeling MUCH lighter than stock and revs drop a bit quicker than stock. I drove the car normally in day to day driving for the first 200 miles, then drove it a little quicker up until 500 miles. After that I did my first WOT runs with shifts in each gear at redline... When driving the car aggressively (but not dropping the clutch from a stop) the feeling of the clutch pedal changed. After a quick run through each gear there was a VERY STRONG vibration feeling through the clutch pedal (through the entire motion of the pedal), and when I say very strong I mean that it felt like something was going to break. I was nearby my destination so I just stopped there. When I came back (many hours later) I was expecting it to feel the same after starting the car but everything felt normal again. The same thing has happened a couple other times since then... but the last time it happened i came up to a stop light and when I was pulling away after green I slipped the clutch quite a bit in a slow start on purpose to see what would happen and the vibration went away completely!

Tonight I was driving and when i came to a stop i couldnt get the transmission back into gear. I turned off the car, put it into 1st, started the car and drove away. The rest of the way home I just rev-matched every gear and didnt come to a stop until I got home. I looked around under the hood and under the car with a flashlight but didnt see anything out of the ordinary.

What could be causing this? Could it be faulty clutch materials? Could it be due to a bad install (I paid to have a shop very familiar with miatas install the assembly)?

Here's a picture update:

quality right here

Click here for the full 1280x958 image.

dont you just love hot spots everywhere?

Click here for the full 1280x1265 image.

crap

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I ended up having Rotorport in Santa Clara take the Spec junk out of there and put in an ACT HD with rigid hub (which has been great so far). Hopefully Emilio will take back the Spec clutch.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 17, 2008

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Jealous :argh:

And now for some :coal:

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Are those the "special edition" Flexs from 949? If so let me know how they are. I'm looking to get a 1.8 Miata around april to replace my 1.6 and will probably just swap my suspension over but may not if I want to "upgrade".

^^thats a clean miata but I loving hate sleepy eyes. Cheap rear end ricers should just do a proper low rise headlight like me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

Jealous :argh:

And now for some :coal:

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

Where did those lights come from?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FireTora posted:

^^thats a clean miata but I loving hate sleepy eyes. Cheap rear end ricers should just do a proper low rise headlight like me.
They're actually RS-Active Pro's, not sleepy eyes. That said, I don't like them, I'll stick with my 7" greatness.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Oh i see now he did do a kinda proper job of the "sleepy eyez"

Ziploc posted:

Where did those lights come from?

A few miata guys retrofit the 4x6 lights from rx7s into the miatas, that might be them.

edit: ^^ retarded lights none the less, but if you ever drive a miata with low rise headlights you'll be amazed at how much more of the road you can see.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FireTora posted:

edit: ^^ retarded lights none the less, but if you ever drive a miata with low rise headlights you'll be amazed at how much more of the road you can see.
Low.. rise? What is that? You mean flush mount?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

destructo posted:

Low.. rise? What is that? You mean flush mount?

Low rise. The flush kits have lovely light output, due to the positioning of the projector a large amount of the light output hits the bumper instead of the road.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
It's late and I'm tired after a day of studying, but I honestly don't see what the difference is. Dude's got rectangular lights fitted as well.

Maybe I'm just temporarily retarded and should go to bed.

here's some more pictures for you
http://www.tetsuyagarage.com/cars%20page/tgroadster/tg_roadster.htm

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FireTora posted:

Are those the "special edition" Flexs from 949?

These are the standard spec straight from Tein.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

First, I really need to uninstall SALR. I hit submit after typing up a long post and got a gently caress you message.

On my search for a new car tonight I stumbled across a 1999 British Racing Green Miata at a local dealership. It seemed to be in really good condition inside and out, although I didn't get a chance to look under the hood or underneath the car much.

I took it for a test drive and noticed a few things:

1. The check engine light was on.
2. There seemed to be a fair bit of vibration felt through the steering wheel, but as the car warming up it reduced slightly.
3. It had around 98,000 miles on it.

The gearbox shifted well and the clutch wasn't slipping, and it didn't seem to make any unusual noises.

What else do I need to look at? The dealership is listing it at 9,995 currently, should I jump on this, AI?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

What else do I need to look at? The dealership is listing it at 9,995 currently, should I jump on this, AI?
gently caress no, that's at least $3000 overpriced. Go find a nice private party car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

The dealership is listing it at 9,995 currently, should I jump on this, AI?

Not anywhere near that price. More like $6-7k depending on what the CEL is for.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Thanks, while I could probably talk them down quite a bit, I think I'm going to go look somewhere else.

I'm not necessarily in the market for a Miata, I've just always liked them a lot.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previa_fun posted:

On my search for a new car tonight I stumbled across a 1999 British Racing Green Miata at a local dealership.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything (more just FYI), but in 1999 there was only Emerald Mica, not British Racing Green. I dont think they had that color again until 2001.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

Not trying to be a jerk or anything (more just FYI), but in 1999 there was only Emerald Mica, not British Racing Green. I dont think they had that color again until 2001.
To set the record straight. BRG was only available in 1991. The only other "greens" are Marina Green Mica (1997 only) and Emerald Green Mica (99-05).

mack
Mar 6, 2005
As far as maintenance goes, what should I be doing? I've had an 01 LS for about 2 years now and the only things I've done have been oil changes every 3 months and air filter changes every 6 months.

I got it at 61k miles and its sitting at 67k right now, it had the big 60k work done by the previous owner at 58k miles.

I noticed last week that both my fog lights wont turn on anymore. I popped open the fuse panel, but the fuse looks fine. What else could it be? Also the little lever inside to open my gas doesn't work anymore unless I put something under it to hold it up, then I have to go pop it open myself, how can I fix this?

mack fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 20, 2008

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

To put this in perspective, I picked up a green '99 Miata for $6k with 40k on it. The soft top is poorly torn/repaired, but I grabbed a hardtop for $600. You can do much better than this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FluffGrenade posted:

To put this in perspective, I picked up a green '99 Miata for $6k with 40k on it. The soft top is poorly torn/repaired, but I grabbed a hardtop for $600. You can do much better than this.

To also put this in perspective, our '99 Miata cost right about $10-11k when we bought it - four years ago, with 42k on the clock. Miatas have great resale but not THAT good.

That said, at 98k it's still got plenty of life left in it. In terms of maintenance, your only concerns on a Miata with that much mileage should be making sure the timing belt has been done, and possibly replacing the radiator if the endcaps look too brown. That, and the condition of the top - we replaced ours this year after it got knifed, but it was in pretty rough shape before someone cut it anyway.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

destructo posted:

To set the record straight. BRG was only available in 1991. The only other "greens" are Marina Green Mica (1997 only) and Emerald Green Mica (99-05).

And to set it even straighter... there IS a 2001 BRG. It was a Special Edition for the 10th anniversary of the 91 BRG. I've got a picture of one:

And here's an article on edmunds.com with more pics.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Ahh, forgot about that one. Close enough :D.

Here is a sweet original BRG in compensation

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
With the weather dipping below 30 now, I've noticed it takes forever for the shifter to warm up. The 1st and 2nd gear synchros in my 90 have always been a bit worn, but now it takes maybe 5 minutes of driving before the response is really positive and they don't just stonewall when trying to shift into them. Is this something that just comes with the cold weather, or could I expect an improvement by changing the tranny oil?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

With the weather dipping below 30 now, I've noticed it takes forever for the shifter to warm up. The 1st and 2nd gear synchros in my 90 have always been a bit worn, but now it takes maybe 5 minutes of driving before the response is really positive and they don't just stonewall when trying to shift into them. Is this something that just comes with the cold weather, or could I expect an improvement by changing the tranny oil?
I've heard Redline MTL fixes the issue for some people, I have the same 1-2 stiffness and I'll be giving it a go next week. Oddly enough, my shifter works better when the fluid is cold..

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

destructo posted:

Ahh, forgot about that one. Close enough :D.

Here is a sweet original BRG in compensation

Here's another one... less flashy, all original:

Mine... heh... I like those wheels on the one you posted though... I wish mine came with the hard top :(

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

destructo posted:

What can you tell me about the vent cut into the front bumper cover?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

obeyasia posted:

I can tell you it's hideous and turbo guys do it for extra cooling power, though I haven't seen that molded piece before.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

obeyasia posted:

Made by Brightning (yeah, that's the correct spelling). JDM yo, and awesome.

Here's their site: http://www.brightning.info/
Miataroadster.com can get you the parts.

destructo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2008

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

obeyasia posted:

hehe, its off center slightly. That would drive me insane.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Previa_fun posted:

First, I really need to uninstall SALR. I hit submit after typing up a long post and got a gently caress you message.
Or you can just update it. Recent forums change made old versions incompatible. Of course, you could just not use quick reply.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Does anyone have any ideas for replacing a front bumper cover, front left fender, and a rear bumper cover. I'm checking to see if planetmiata.com carries used parts in decent shape in that color. The paint on my car is in pretty sad shape, so I don't need anything perfect.

How tough is it to remove bumper covers and a front left panel? I'm not real afraid to tear something apart. The one link I've found makes it look like it's not a real big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

n8r posted:

Does anyone have any ideas for replacing a front bumper cover, front left fender, and a rear bumper cover. I'm checking to see if planetmiata.com carries used parts in decent shape in that color. The paint on my car is in pretty sad shape, so I don't need anything perfect.

How tough is it to remove bumper covers and a front left panel? I'm not real afraid to tear something apart. The one link I've found makes it look like it's not a real big deal.

It's frustrating enough finding replacements for a decent price that I just hammered out my fender as best I could and live with the cracks in the bumpers.