Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Harley is respected in the US and Japan, both for his career and as a trainer. WLW provides cheap gaijin, and NOAH wrestlers get to learn from him. That's the sense I get. We'll see what he says!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
And how can you possibly turn down the potential superstar "Wild" Wade Chism?

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
-Ask him what he thinks about Go Shiozaki.

-Memories of Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba, Tenryu (has he ever faced Tenryu?).

-Ask him about any specific recommendations he made to Morishima and Go.

-Ask him who he thinks the second best wrestler on God's green Earth is.

-Ask him how he learned how to cut such good promos.

I'm sure you'll cover most of this, I'm just really excited you might get to interview Harley, who I really enjoy.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Possible ask him about trevor murdoch, about the WWE in general, or what he thinks his role in wrestling is at the moment (should he be booking, teaching, wrestling, or just sitting back and quietly retiring, so slowly nobody notices).

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Marufuji vs KENTA went to a 1 hour draw.

Also, so people know, I did part of my interview with Race on Thursday, and I'll do more on Monday.

edit: Also also, today marked the end of a really badly-done three-show weekend set at Sumo Hall. The final match was Masato Tanaka & Sekimoto vs Motor City Machine Guns. So Sekimoto went from CHIKARA to Ryogoku Kokugikan.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2008

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch I request you get this match on your site asap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That draw is either going to be really really good, or loving terrible. I can't see there being any middle ground here.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

HulkaMatt posted:

Ditch I request you get this match on your site asap.

Seconded. Screw the haters, the previous Marufuji vs. KENTA was awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ditch, Meltzer is saying that the Budokan show did really well and drew 10K. Any truth to this? I vaguely remember the early reports saying the October 06 show did an OK number, and then wham, it did poo poo.

He also says it was in part because they said they'd have the best match of the year, which considering they said this back in 06 and it meant nothing in terms of drawing power I am a bit suspicious that Meltzer's info might be a bit on the optimistic side.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The 2006 match did 11,500 per Meltzer. What that and the current number don't take into consideration is freebies and discounts. The gate for Sunday's show was probably way under half of, say, the Kobashi return show.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
New column! Mostly Kobashi!

http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/10/30/puroresu-pulse-issue-136-kobashi-the-mvp-years/

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
Very good read Ditch.

I just wanted to post here that Tanahashi is working the three TNA house shows this weekend, so if you're a fan and in Southern California, you can see him live!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KENTA vs Marufuji: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=98PJOUT0

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

HURRY UP MEGAUPLOAD gently caress gently caress gently caress

LONGEST 45 SECONDS OF MY LIFE.

EDIT: YAY

EDIT 2: LONGEST 5 MINUTES OF MY LIFE.

EDIT 3: I MEAN 8 MINUTES.

EDIT 4: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

Edit 5: yay :)

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2008

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Thank you Ditch.

I have a couple of other puro matches from Ditch's threads to watch still but I'm totally watching this first.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

gently caress YOU, MEGAUPLOAD

Why does it refuse to let me download this (probably) great match?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 5, 2008

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
So awesome.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Ditch posted:

Marufuji vs KENTA went to a 1 hour draw.

Also, so people know, I did part of my interview with Race on Thursday, and I'll do more on Monday.

edit: Also also, today marked the end of a really badly-done three-show weekend set at Sumo Hall. The final match was Masato Tanaka & Sekimoto vs Motor City Machine Guns. So Sekimoto went from CHIKARA to Ryogoku Kokugikan.

Probably in front of the same size crowd though

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The Sumo Hall thing sold like 2000 tickets combined. NOAH sold at least 5000, probably closer to 8000.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So, any opinions on the KENTA/Marufuji match? I'd rather not sit down and watch an hour of this if it isn't going to be my cup of tea.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I didn't care for it. I mean they didn't have a bunch of no-selling, they saved the big moves for last, and there were some big/innovative spots, but there really wasn't an hour's worth of content. Even mediocre ROH broadways like Punk vs Daniels have some good matwork and focus and stuff. The August Burning vs Kensuke Office survival match is a better use of an hour.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

For an hour long match, it's pretty good. You will always have the problem that it doesn't make sense compared to a 20 minute match (why did they suddenly last 3 times as long as normal), however I thought it was well done, logical counters and going for strong moves but sensibly kicking out of strong moves/finishers (for japan). However the match is not as exciting as it could be because files betray it and you know nothing's going to happen for most of it, I would have probably enjoyed it more if I didn't know (like the cena/HBK match after last year's wrestlemania on RAW). I probably enjoyed it more than Joe/Punk 2, but that's my personal gripe against that match.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Ditch posted:

The Sumo Hall thing sold like 2000 tickets combined. NOAH sold at least 5000, probably closer to 8000.

I meant Chikara and the Sumo Hall thing

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

I meant Chikara and the Sumo Hall thing
That's ridiculous.

And true.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akiyama vs Morishima set for the next NOAH Budokan show, winner gets the winner of Sasaki vs Saito, aka Sasaki. Akiyama or Morishima will be the guy to beat Sasaki, so the first defense of '09 is even money to be a title change. If not there, then the other guy does it later in the year.

NOAH announced restructuring. Some wrestlers won't go on tour (but will get paid). Shorter cards, fewer random trios bouts, everyone's told to work harder. And, I would guess, fewer gaijin being flown around. This could lead to more big matches getting booked... but it doesn't by default mean the booking gets better. We'll see, they definitely needed a shake-up.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Ditch posted:

Akiyama vs Morishima
Sasaki vs Saito

zzzzzzzzzzz

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hey, Akiyama vs Morishima last year was good. So was the 2001 iteration that was Morishima's first big singles match.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sasaki vs. Saito, truly a perfect fit for their timeslot.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

zzzzzzzzzzz
Updated card:

NOAH, 12/7/2008
Tokyo Nippon Budokan

1. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima
2. GHC Heavyweight Title Contendership: Jun Akiyama vs. Takeshi Morishima
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki (c) vs. KENTA & Taiji Ishimori
4. GHC Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki (c) vs. Akitoshi Saito

If you can't get excited for that you should probably watch some other fed instead.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Illinois Smith posted:

1. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

If you can't get excited for that you should probably watch some other fed instead.

OK now I'm intrigued

And you better believe I do and will

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NOAH will end the year with a 32-man tournament featuring all its top stars :dance:

...oh and all matches have a 10 minute time limit, and a "ref committee" will decide winners for the draws.

:(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ditch posted:

NOAH will end the year with a 32-man tournament featuring all its top stars :dance:

...oh and all matches have a 10 minute time limit, and a "ref committee" will decide winners for the draws.

:(

I'd be all over this if it was New Japan. Their heavyweight style fits 10 minute matches quite well.

Does NOAH even have 32 guys on their roster? :v:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Sasaki and Nakajima are in it, plus the midcard scrubs, plus juniors, plus the top names, plus a young lion, plus two X's, equals 32. Shiozaki not announced yet, I bet he'll be an X.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Are you sure that the entire tournament will be 10 minute matches and not just the first round?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
As best I can tell. First two rounds on night 1, so 2nd round has to be 10 minute time limit. Final three rounds on night 2, plus you'll have 24 (or more) others to put into matches, so not a lot of additional time. It's a year-end thing and that usually signals it won't be that big a deal.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Ditch since you're the puro god around here do you speak any Japanese? I was watching one of my old puro tapes Chono/Nagata for the IWGP '02 and I noticed on the commentary there isn't a minute that goes by where one of them isn't going "Hai" in like 37 different variarions. Is that the equivalent of us going "yeah" or "ok"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I speak very little Japanese but enough to know "Hai" is yes. They also say "so-desu-ne" and "hontoni", both of which are expressions of agreement. They ESPECIALLY say it when a wrestler is on guest commentary. From what I've been told, Japanese wrestling commentary isn't exactly thrilling from an intellectual standpoint. Let us not forget "ABUNAIIIIIIIII".

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

I speak very little Japanese but enough to know "Hai" is yes. They also say "so-desu-ne" and "hontoni", both of which are expressions of agreement. They ESPECIALLY say it when a wrestler is on guest commentary. From what I've been told, Japanese wrestling commentary isn't exactly thrilling from an intellectual standpoint. Let us not forget "ABUNAIIIIIIIII".

I want these commentators calling a boring WWE match. They sound so excited. :)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ditch posted:

Yeah, even my otaku japanese understands that much. My favourite things about japanese commentary are:

That they constantly use english. Is there nothing in Japanese that means "diving" or "headbutt"?

That they act excited regardless of the words, like during Misawa/Ogawa vs KENTA/Marafuji, Misawa does a suicide dive, and the annoucers shout "SOSHITE!", which literally translates as "oh, so" and is just meant to be a conversation filler. Basically, imagine JR yelling, "HMM, I SEE!" during a high spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What does it mean when they just start screaming for like five minutes straight? Because that's seriously the best part of all Japanese commentary, they get so excited.