Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster

JohnnyHardcore posted:

I was alright with the play, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that I could've gotten it in on the turn if no Q, K, or A fell, and avoided the suck out. I am very confident in my ability to read this particular guy, and there is no way he'd have gotten any more out of me if I'd played it a different way. Against an unknown I wouldn't have even posted the hand. It's been an rear end day today for suckouts, and I guess I was just looking for one that was actually my fault.

If you're that good at reading people, why are you still at the micros?

Is it maybe because you fold two pair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
Gosh golly gee Mr. Poker Man, could it be that I am not very good at poker? Perhaps it's because I do not have a great deal of disposable income to dump into a bankroll, could that be it? Also, having a read on ONE player that you play with nearly every day /= "good at reading people". But thank you for your helpful and insightful commentary.

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster
drat i didn't mean to hit a nerve i just wanted to point out that you haven't learned the ability to find fancy folds yet

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
http://www.pokerhand.org/?3440541

Was I clearly beaten? I thought long and hard about it and it just seemed like he had JJ-KK to me. A6? What the gently caress?

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster

Crazy685 posted:

Was I clearly beaten? I thought long and hard about it and it just seemed like he had JJ-KK to me. A6? What the gently caress?

Why 7 pre? 8-9 is perfect. You really should have slowed down on this flop. Either he's bluffing or he has a 6, and if he's bluffing you need to play passively in order induce balanced action, i.e. encourage his range to be mostly bluffs. Especially since you've got Ac, a couple potential lines: 1) check behind the flop, check behind the turn, bet the river if he hasn't bitten yet. 2) bet the flop, call the minraise, and call to showdown.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

JohnnyHardcore posted:

A couple of Cake hands from today:

http://cakepoker.com//HandHistory/?Hand=xcLMxsTFxsbFx8TExMHMwIjCzcfCwsU%3d
boppa is a reg at NL4 and NL10 and is a solid player that I have played against a lot. I'm about 90% sure that he is never raising here with AJ or A9, so I put him on a high A. Question: Is the shove good or is it better to call and reevaluate on the turn. I could have definitely gotten away from it on the turn when the Q fell, based on the history I have with this guy.

I would play it as you did as well, except I might have made a slightly weaker lead bet.

You got it in as roughly a 80-20 favorite, since he exactly 5 outs on the flop (2 aces, 3 queens)

Provided that the turn doesn't hit him you are at worst down to sweating 8-12 outs (board pairing, backdoor straights)

Like Teppec said, fist bump for getting what you wanted. At these levels I would keep it straight to math rather then making fancy folds. Flopped 2 pair is almost always good here.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Crazy685 posted:

I would disagree to make it to $8-9. I would make it about $10-12 personally. You have about 2 people behind you that could come along for the ride with you more drawy type hands.

Flop I would probably check behind and try to get him to make the first move. OOP, I find that people like to take a stab on a paired board when they don't have it, and check raise when they do.

Once he check raises you, you could just call down, or fold turn when he shoves into you.

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster

Big Poppa posted:

I would disagree to make it to $8-9. I would make it about $10-12 personally. You have about 2 people behind you that could come along for the ride with you more drawy type hands.

Flop I would probably check behind and try to get him to make the first move. OOP, I find that people like to take a stab on a paired board when they don't have it, and check raise when they do.

Once he check raises you, you could just call down, or fold turn when he shoves into you.

He's 90bb deep. 200bb deep you'd want to go to $10-12, but we shouldn't be afraid to play this hand for stacks even if we flop a drawy board in a 3-bet pot. On the other side of the coin, though, going to $7 means he's calling 4bb to win 90bb and he could get away with this with almost any hand that he's raising.

bbc what it dew
Aug 3, 2007
SAMMY TRANKS

5463 posted:

1) check behind the flop, check behind the turn, bet the river if he hasn't bitten yet. 2) bet the flop, call the minraise, and call to showdown.

line 1 is wrong you really don't think hes gonna call bets with 77+ after checking 2 streets oop

line 2 is pretty much the standard play, except you should be making it like 9-11, i usually just lean towards the larger side tho so you cant get owned by setminers

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster

bbc what it dew posted:

line 1 is wrong

that's a more standard WA/WB line than the 2nd one

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Nitty nitty nit nit

POKERSTARS GAME #682011488001486: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2008/11/12 - 16:08:44 (ET)
Table 'Cake_ Seville 11488' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: luck*** ($80.80 in chips)
Seat 2: z8myFACE ($282.05 in chips)
Seat 3: flus*** ($97.85 in chips)
Seat 8: sbbo*** ($235.90 in chips)
Seat 9: _Mac*** ($293.25 in chips)
Seat 10: $Val*** ($444.25 in chips)
flus***: posts small blind $1
sbbo***: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to z8myFACE [K:h: A:h:]
_Mac***: folds
$Val***: raises $5.00 to $7.00
luck***: folds
z8myFACE: calls $7.00
flus***: folds
sbbo***: calls $5.00
*** FLOP *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s:]
sbbo***: checks
$Val***: checks
z8myFACE: checks
*** TURN *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s:] [Q:h:]
sbbo***: bets $15.00
$Val***: folds
z8myFACE: calls $15.00
*** RIVER *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s: Q:h:] [9:c:]
sbbo***: bets $35.00
z8myFACE: calls $35.00

POKERSTARS GAME #682011475001442: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2008/11/12 - 12:50:52 (ET)
Table 'Cake_ Seville 11475' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Dran*** ($199.00 in chips)
Seat 2: Boof*** ($407.30 in chips)
Seat 3: Memo*** ($202.15 in chips)
Seat 8: z8myFACE ($489.80 in chips)
Seat 9: Viki*** ($121.65 in chips)
Memo***: posts small blind $1
z8myFACE: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to z8myFACE [A:c: K:d:]
Viki***: calls $2.00
Dran***: folds
Boof***: folds
Memo***: raises $6.00 to $8.00
z8myFACE: calls $6.00
Viki***: folds
*** FLOP *** [J:s: 5:c: J:d:]
Memo***: bets $14.00
z8myFACE: calls $14.00
*** TURN *** [J:s: 5:c: J:d:] [5:h:]
Memo***: checks
z8myFACE: bets $27.00
Memo***: calls $27.00
*** RIVER *** [J:s 5:c: J:d: 5:h:] [8:c:]
Memo***: checks

Anyone like shoving this river? Because I really wanted to. I don't know if he can call with QQ-AA, but I don't see how he can have anything else. 34/21/2.2 over 78 hands.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
If the guy isn't a big station I think I do like shipping the river in the 2nd one with a good image. Your line looks exactly like a jack and his really doesn't once he c/c's turn and then checks river, I think he would want to get more money in with the nuts usually.

On the first one I think you should bet the flop almost always. I wouldn't be surprised to see you called pretty light because you are IP and it looks like you could just be stabbing at it. On the turn I like calling because he can have a lot of strong hands here that can 3bet and put you in a bad spot. The bad side to that is that you have a small pot on the river and a ton of money behind the times you hit your flush, so I think you could argue for a raise especially if villain won't 3bet some of his monsters, or would just be afraid to with his 2 pairs. River as played is pretty standard I think.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

ZeroStar posted:

If the guy isn't a big station I think I do like shipping the river in the 2nd one with a good image. Your line looks exactly like a jack and his really doesn't once he c/c's turn and then checks river, I think he would want to get more money in with the nuts usually.

On the first one I think you should bet the flop almost always. I wouldn't be surprised to see you called pretty light because you are IP and it looks like you could just be stabbing at it. On the turn I like calling because he can have a lot of strong hands here that can 3bet and put you in a bad spot. The bad side to that is that you have a small pot on the river and a ton of money behind the times you hit your flush, so I think you could argue for a raise especially if villain won't 3bet some of his monsters, or would just be afraid to with his 2 pairs. River as played is pretty standard I think.

I considered betting the flop in the first one, but I was doing this boring/weird thing where I play super tight / nitty (at least for me. so, 21/17/3 probably, but thats just a guess). So I didn't have a good image, and I wasn't really worried about many turns.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE

Ranma4703 posted:

Nitty nitty nit nit

POKERSTARS GAME #682011488001486: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2008/11/12 - 16:08:44 (ET)
Table 'Cake_ Seville 11488' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: luck*** ($80.80 in chips)
Seat 2: z8myFACE ($282.05 in chips)
Seat 3: flus*** ($97.85 in chips)
Seat 8: sbbo*** ($235.90 in chips)
Seat 9: _Mac*** ($293.25 in chips)
Seat 10: $Val*** ($444.25 in chips)
flus***: posts small blind $1
sbbo***: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to z8myFACE [K:h: A:h:]
_Mac***: folds
$Val***: raises $5.00 to $7.00
luck***: folds
z8myFACE: calls $7.00
flus***: folds
sbbo***: calls $5.00
*** FLOP *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s:]
sbbo***: checks
$Val***: checks
*** TURN *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s:] [Q:h:]
sbbo***: bets $15.00
$Val***: folds
z8myFACE: calls $15.00
*** RIVER *** [A:c: 4:h: 5:s: Q:h:] [9:c:]
sbbo***: bets $35.00
z8myFACE: calls $35.00

Not sure who you are saying is a nit, but I 3bet pre almost always here, esp with position. I think you should be betting this flop most of the time as well, the strength of your hand is disguised by the flatcall pre so they will call with lots worse. What do others do on the turn here? I'd kinda like to raise as we pick up a big backdoor draw whilst still having TPTK.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Not sure who you are saying is a nit, but I 3bet pre almost always here, esp with position. I think you should be betting this flop most of the time as well, the strength of your hand is disguised by the flatcall pre so they will call with lots worse. What do others do on the turn here? I'd kinda like to raise as we pick up a big backdoor draw whilst still having TPTK.

I'm calling myself a nit, for not betting the flop. Sometimes I 3bet preflop, but with position and suited AX, plus only 2 people who could still come in, I like to call a bit more. It gives me a stronger range for raising A93r boards - I often do it with air, but if I have AK/AQ in my range, villains are in a very tough spot with AJ/AT. Flop I didn't bet because the person most likely to have an ace checked, and I'm only getting 1 street out of a pocket pair anyway. Turn is an okay place to raise, only because it looks so bluffy, but if I get 3bet I have to get it in, and I don't think I'll be ahead very often if I get 3bet, so I just call. A raise does let me stack lower flush draws though. River would be a raise if we had less behind I think, but as is I think a call is all I can do.

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster
lol @ flatting AKs at 6max
i don't play these games but aren't fish still stacking off with Ax

--

know what, gently caress it, i like the whole line. no hard spots. lazy poker ftw

5463 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 13, 2008

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
There is some merit to flatting AK in 6max games and it generally isn't against fish but regulars like the PFR in the AK hand ranma posted. In the more passive 6max games a lot of people fold AT-AQ to 3bets especially OOP. At 1/2 there is probably enough light 3betting that it is probably best to try and have a fairly wide 3betting range and just 3bet AK for value always, but I don't think there is much wrong with flatting it preflop and under repping your hand a little.

So yeah fish are still going to stack off with TP a lot but against the villains in the hands Ranma posted I think flatting is fine if you have a tight 3betting image. I think it is better in the AKhh one, I would probably 3bet the second one more often.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Ramna: players at that level are calling 3-bets with AT/AJ anyway and then stacking off on an A-high flop, so get more value preflop by 3betting. The reasons for 3-betting include all your reasons for flatting, as far as I can tell. You're just missing value.

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003
This is a Cake NL10 FR hand. Villain is unknown.
I'm CO with 12.60, villain is seat 5 with 6.40.

I'm dealt A:s: J:h:
SB and BB post, two folds, Villain calls, two folds.
I raise to .45.
Blinds both fold, Villain calls.

Flop is A:h: Q:d: 7:d:
Villain checks
I bet 1.30.

At this point I'm thinking AQ would have probably raised PF and AA and QQ certianly would have, so 77 is probably the only hand he can hold that's ahead of me(with a slight chance of A7s cause OMG SUITED), Ax is going to call me most of the time as well as most flush draws and frequently KQ and QJ and KJ at this limit.

Villain shoves for 5.95.

My read is that he probably has a worse ace with the A high flush draw so I call. This is completely standard, right?

Hand two, same table. I'm again CO, this time with 18.40. SB has 13.33, Villain has 7.51. Again no read on Villain.
I'm dealt J:h:J:d:
SB and BB post, one fold, Villain calls. Three folds.
I raise to .50, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds. Villain calls.

Flop 4:d:6:d:4:s:
SB bets 1.00
Villain calls.
I shove.

I think I should usually make a raise here but not a shove. The shove is going to get called by a few worse hands, but probably not too many(a few FDs and if they've managed to hang onto something with a six, they'll likely call). Comments?

Hand 3:
I'm SB with 10.89. Villain is UTG with 13.35. SB and BB post, one mid posts .15.
I'm dealt A:s:10:d:
UTG raises to .5, 5 folds.
I call. BB folds.

Flop: 5:c:A:d:2:h:
I bet 1.25 with the intention of folding if he raises
Villain calls.

Turn K:s:
Thinking that a check here is going to get me a PSB and a decision, I bet half pot(1.88)
Villain calls.

River Q:d:
I'm pretty clueless what's going on here. I don't see any draw that makes sense and I'm pretty much just lost. I bet 3.90 trying to limit the river and give me a shot to see what he has.

TheSleeper fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 14, 2008

Teppec
Nov 7, 2004

Oranges everywhere!

TheSleeper posted:

This is a Cake NL10 FR hand. Villain is unknown.
I'm CO with 12.60, villain is seat 5 with 6.40.

I'm dealt A:s: J:h:
SB and BB post, two folds, Villain calls, two folds.
I raise to .45.
Blinds both fold, Villain calls.

Flop is A:h: Q:d: 7:d:
Villain checks
I bet 1.30.

At this point I'm thinking AQ would have probably raised PF and AA and QQ certianly would have, so 77 is probably the only hand he can hold that's ahead of me(with a slight chance of A7s cause OMG SUITED), Ax is going to call me most of the time as well as most flush draws and frequently KQ and QJ and KJ at this limit.

Villain shoves for 5.95.

My read is that he probably has a worse ace with the A high flush draw so I call. This is completely standard, right?

Hand two, same table. I'm again CO, this time with 18.40. SB has 13.33, Villain has 7.51. Again no read on Villain.
I'm dealt J:h:J:d:
SB and BB post, one fold, Villain calls. Three folds.
I raise to .50, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds. Villain calls.

Flop 4:d:6:d:4:s:
SB bets 1.00
Villain calls.
I shove.

I think I should usually make a raise here but not a shove. The shove is going to get called by a few worse hands, but probably not too many(a few FDs and if they've managed to hang onto something with a six, they'll likely call). Comments?

Hand 3:
I'm SB with 10.89. Villain is UTG with 13.35. SB and BB post, one mid posts .15.
I'm dealt A:s:10:d:
UTG raises to .5, 5 folds.
I call. BB folds.

Flop: 5:c:A:d:2:h:
I bet 1.25 with the intention of folding if he raises
Villain calls.

Turn K:s:
Thinking that a check here is going to get me a PSB and a decision, I bet half pot(1.88)
Villain calls.

River Q:d:
I'm pretty clueless what's going on here. I don't see any draw that makes sense and I'm pretty much just lost. I bet 3.90 trying to limit the river and give me a shot to see what he has.

Hand 1 is standard more because of his stack size then because of his shove. Many people like to limp small/middle pair and setmine. At these limits it's highly likely he set you, however he's shortstacking and there is always the microlimit tard factor where they sometimes do this with an ace. However, they are more likely to donk a weak ace in to you then they are a set.

Hand 2 is fine I guess. The shortie isn't even a factor here, the only one that matters is the sb. I'd probably raise to about 5ish. That will almost put the shortie in, and maybe give SB the impression he has some fold equity if he shoves (you are never folding this flop here). Getting it in is fine, you'll see SB doing this with lots of middle pairs, but you are right, I prefer a raise.

Hand 3, fold preflop. He's raising UTG, you have a lovely offsuit ace, give him at least a little respect. As played, you are almost certainly behind. When you plan on bet/folding flop and he calls, why do you lead turn? I'm just trying to understand why you planned bet/fold, but then went into 3barrel mode just because he called.

I like a bet/fold flop (like you planned), and if he calls just check/fold turn here. I don't think many hands you beat will bet that turn or that river. He raised UTG and most likely you've just valuetowned the poo poo out of yourself by 3-barrelling with a lovely ace on a fairly unconnected board, but one that his UTG opening range is just smashing by the river. Once he calls turn, he's not going anywhere and there is a good chance he's destroying you. If he's got 88-JJ on the river, he's just going to check behind you anyway if you check, and nothing you beat is calling a river bet on this board and most hands that you beat are folding turn unless it's a really stubborn TT-QQ.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

TheSleeper posted:

H1: I would call. At nl50 or nl100 I still call but not be as happy about it. Depends on villian stats too of course. You probably see a weak ace or flush draw here but also a set.

H2: I would definitely raise here and not push. Give the weaker hands a chance to hang themselves. You could raise to 4 and let the villian push if he wants to play.

H3: Fold preflop.

Please use https://www.pokerhand.org or https://www.weaktight.com to format your hand histories please. Thanks

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Converter is being weird and not showing my stack but I'm UTG with $74 and it is four handed.
http://weaktight.com/518027

Villain is "MyNightJob", and he is playing like a maniac. He just coolered a guy for a 6 BI pot a few orbits prior to this. I had been playing on the table with this guy for a little over an hour so I have some pretty in depth reads. When I first got to the table he was playing a pretty loose style opening a ton in LP, and he was bluffing a lot when he had the initiative after the flop or when the PFR would give up the initiative. By the time this hand played out though, he had calmed down a little after the flop vs. me because I had caught him bluffing a good number of times. He was however playing a near 100 VPIP style, and he said in chat that he was doing it as a challenge of some sort. He didn't 3bet PF hardly ever, so he was just cold calling raises a ton.

When he got to the flop without the initiative, he would peel very very light, probably anything like 2 overcards and better. He actually played his draws pretty passively though, here is a hand which I play somewhat questionably where he calls all the way down with a FD and then bluffs the river with Q5cc.

http://weaktight.com/518039

I haven't seen him donk the turn yet but I am expecting that his hand improved somehow. I am discounting the big hands from the flop like two pair or sets a good deal from his range because he had a tendency to try and get money in when he had a strong hand. I mostly think here he hit two pair with the jack or picked up an OESD, or a pair + draw like JQ.

Do you like raising and getting it in or calling and then trying to get him to bluff on the river? I think he can have a good number of draws and pair + draw hands but I don't think he will go crazy with most of them on the turn, probably just call a raise and then c/f river, or possibly bluff a straightening card. If this hand is boring we can talk about the other one I posted too although I think it was fairly standard.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Its been a while since I've had time to play poker so I just would like to get some reinforcement or some correction to my game. I think I did this allright but I'd just like to get a second opinion on it.

Villain I've observed while waiting to be reckless at times and wanting to tv it up a bit by playing flamboyantly and recklessly at times to show off. Saw him call with second pair-okay kicker in a potted river a while back for what I believe was a $55ish pot a bit ago.
Flop: http://www.pokerhand.org/?3459510
Preflop is pretty obvious. Flop I think a call is better than a raise no? If I raise and he has nothing then I lose him. I think if I'm going to be deciding to take a stand here a c/r or a check/call-ai turn is best for this? I just cant give him credit here for a made hand or even anything that would have connected with this board.
Turn: http://www.pokerhand.org/?3459536
turn is a call given how he instashoves I think. Most donks dont play made hands like this and instead try to bet 1/2potish to try to "sucker" people in. I just cant seem to give him credit for much here other than an overplayed AK/AQs

Pretty standard other than that its 200BB deep
I have 77 here. He seems like a reg or a semi-reg. I've observed him on many of my tables and he doesnt seem to get out of line. Whats a better line here, if any, rather than leading? C/C? C/R? B/RR? or what?
http://cakepoker.com//HandHistory/?Hand=xcLMwcTFxcLBxMTExMPAw4jBx8DAw8A%3d

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Zero: first hand I dont understand but I think youre asking if you should be raising anywhere or just calling? If hes playing like a maniac I want to get as much money as I can into a pot given how you have described him.

Second hand I fold flop. I really hate drawing to the rear end end of a straight like that because there are so many cards that can come and improve your hand but make you still behind anything. If a 9 comes and completes your straight you still will have the low end. If its a 9 of clubs thats even worse now because someone may have gotten that flush against your straight and youre being put into a tougher spot than you should have been.

Squibz
Nov 19, 2005

King of Threads

Spechel EDD posted:

Pretty standard other than that its 200BB deep
I have 77 here. He seems like a reg or a semi-reg. I've observed him on many of my tables and he doesnt seem to get out of line. Whats a better line here, if any, rather than leading? C/C? C/R? B/RR? or what?
http://cakepoker.com//HandHistory/?Hand=xcLMwcTFxcLBxMTExMPAw4jBx8DAw8A%3d

Are you afraid of the flush draw here; do you want him to fold? Unless he has a set, it's extremely unlikely that he hit. Since you flat called from SB and then donk a pot sized bet on the flop, it's hard for him to put you on anything but a set (or maybe some other pocket pair).

With relatively deep stacks like this, you could try 3betting preflop with pocket pairs OOP. As played, definitely don't bet, you should check and let him act. If he bets, you can certainly C/R if you feel like he'll continue, if you don't calling also isn't horrible. If a heart comes on the turn you're still not in a terrible situation even if he makes his flush, because if the board pairs you stand to win a very big pot. If overs come and he bets with something like TPTK, you also stand to win probably a couple of bets. That is definitely not the time to fire a pot sized bet in my opinion. You want to win a lot more than $4 when you have top set, no?

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Yeah the main question in my hand was whether calling or raising the turn was better. On the second hand I agree that the flop is a close spot so a fold might be good. I knew that I couldn't count on a 9 being an out all of the time but I thought the price was still good enough. In hindsight I think that the price isn't quite good enough because of the FD on the board that makes a lot of redraws for when I do hit.

Edd:

On the first hand it's a tricky spot against a person whose thought process we don't really understand. His turn action looks very bluffy but his flop line really doesn't. I want to put him on AK here too but I would be more inclined to if he didn't minraise the flop, I think the flop/turn combo is very weird for something like AQ/AK. If you are continuing then yeah definitely call, don't raise. In all I don't mind how you played it if you called turn but it is really villain specific, mainly it is important to know his 3bet calling range.

The second hand I don't mind the flop donk, the only other line I would consider is c/r. If he cbets a good amount of the time then I probably go for the c/r, especially if I know he can do it on this board texture. As a standard though a lot of TAGs don't cbet boards like this in my opinion. You can't really expect to get a ton of action here most of the time but you should get at least 2 streets of value from overpairs by donking out. If he knows how to fold after the flop I think I like the flop donk out way better, and it is also a big plus if he doesn't cbet a lot. Against an opponent like that I think you get a ton more value against overpairs than by c/r'ing, which I think some tight guys can fold to.

If he is the type of player to put you on a draw though and stack off with some overpairs then I like the c/r because you are very deep and want to get all the money in which probably isn't possible by donking, and the board is ultra drawy so it will give him a good reason to stack off.

edit: forgot to elaborate on why donking flop is good against a guy who is nitty after the flop. He will almost always call 2 barrels, and then when draws brick off on the river you can make a big bet that might be interpreted as a bluff and get called there sometimes as well. Also if he isn't cbetting missed hands a lot then you don't really miss out on value against his air by just donking.

ZeroStar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 17, 2008

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
http://www.pokerhand.org/?3462739

I had about 120 hands logged with CRASHDAVE where he's 30/4/4. I have only seen him show down a few hands and he has not had air, but I'm not sure what he is willing to slowplay. I think my table image is probably pretty nitty (16/7/8 over this session).

How badly am I playing this so far?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Usually raise preflop, push turn. If you like your nit image, then the whole hand is fine so long as you push.

Teppec
Nov 7, 2004

Oranges everywhere!

Acinonyx posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?3462739

I had about 120 hands logged with CRASHDAVE where he's 30/4/4. I have only seen him show down a few hands and he has not had air, but I'm not sure what he is willing to slowplay. I think my table image is probably pretty nitty (16/7/8 over this session).

How badly am I playing this so far?

Minraising is this new retarded craze. In this scenario, shove over. If he's that loose/passive preflop, he's probably got some wierd two pair or a good straight/flush draw of some kind. If he had a set, he probably would have check minraised the flop. So it's likely the only hand he has that's beating you is some retarded straight. Since he's that loose/passive, tons of two pairs, overpairs, and top pairs are in his range that he does this with as well. Just shove over.

And don't ask how badly, just ask what people think of your line and if there are better betting lines you could take. You are looking to improve what you know about poker, not have it devalued. Positive vs negative and all that jazz.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I thought it was a shove or fold moment, and that shove was the right way to go. What I was less sure of was the pre-flop action and first bet size. Am I letting him stick around to hit stupid draws too cheaply? The shove seemed right because then he would not be getting the right price to call with his draws, but I still had doubts because of the 'only a hand that is crushing you will cal' factor. Thanks for the feedback!

albedoa
May 3, 2004

As Teppec suggested, his range is heavily weighted towards hands that you crush, so don't worry about that retarded straight. Regarding the flop bet, it lookss about as large as you can go (because you didn't raise preflop, increasing the pot size in position with good implied odds is one reason you should do that), but the general rule to remember when deciding how to bet a monster like that is just give them the largest bet you think they are likely to call. If your opponent will call a huge overbet, then overbet huge.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
http://weaktight.com/522053

BTN hitmanblood is a TAG regular. Haven't played with him in a long time but I know he is capable of bluffing after the flop and pulling some moves. Other guy is a retarded fish, pretty call stationy pre and postflop.

I get a little fancy here with the slowplay but I think it's a good spot for it. I think the BTN might know I need a pretty good hand to cbet this flop with. In hindsight I think it's an OK flop to cbet with air but in general I'm wary of cbetting air 3 ways with a calling station in the pot. I also want to give both players a chance to catch up, especially the fish.

What's your turn line, including the action you take if he bets?

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
hitmanblood is a punk rear end bitch and I check that poo poo to him like 95% of the time because he will bet it.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
Don't have any reads on villain, just sat down at the table.

PokerStars Game #22143632757: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2008/11/18 6:18:11 ET
Table 'Dorado' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: MAQAS ($24.65 in chips)
Seat 3: HardHitHans ($5.60 in chips)
Seat 4: aewenos ($9 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO ($28.65 in chips)
Seat 6: firstblood80 ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 7: jglsd1 ($5 in chips)
Seat 8: BillyChongo ($14.35 in chips)
Seat 9: Rounded08 ($29.25 in chips)
firstblood80: posts small blind $0.10
tgtown has returned
jglsd1: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ks Ad]
BillyChongo: folds
Rounded08: folds
MAQAS: folds
HardHitHans: folds
aewenos: folds
HERO: raises $0.75 to $1
firstblood80: raises $0.75 to $1.75
jglsd1: folds
HERO: raises $3.25 to $5
firstblood80: raises $19.75 to $24.75 and is all-in
HERO: calls $19.75
*** FLOP *** [6h 9d 9s]
*** TURN *** [6h 9d 9s] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [6h 9d 9s 3d] [2h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
firstblood80: shows [Ac As] (two pair, Aces and Nines)

Shouldve seen it coming with the retarded three-bet, but should i juts fold AK on the button in this situation? It's folded around to me, there's two people left in the blinds, I don't know this seems like a call to me but then again I hate going broke with AK so what do I do here.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
With no reads I'd lay it down to that 4 bet in a heartbeat. I don't recall having ever seen a situation like that where the pf shove was anything other than KK or AA. Even against the chinese/russian shortstackers that run 36 VPIP you're almost never going to be better than a coinflip. Just remember that 95% of players at micro are only playing their cards, and pf shoves are almost always what they say they are.

Teppec
Nov 7, 2004

Oranges everywhere!

ZeroStar posted:

http://weaktight.com/522053

BTN hitmanblood is a TAG regular. Haven't played with him in a long time but I know he is capable of bluffing after the flop and pulling some moves. Other guy is a retarded fish, pretty call stationy pre and postflop.

I get a little fancy here with the slowplay but I think it's a good spot for it. I think the BTN might know I need a pretty good hand to cbet this flop with. In hindsight I think it's an OK flop to cbet with air but in general I'm wary of cbetting air 3 ways with a calling station in the pot. I also want to give both players a chance to catch up, especially the fish.

What's your turn line, including the action you take if he bets?

If you know the reg and are sure he'd bet it, EDD is probably right. Let him do your work for you and hang himself.

Against an unknown, though, I probably bet that turn. An ace there seems likely to kill action unless they have the A or a 9, and it has the added benefit that most people think you are bluffing the turn in that spot when an ace hits and that you never have it. Pairs are almost sure to call you and if they have a good A you may even induce them to coming over the top of you.

Teppec
Nov 7, 2004

Oranges everywhere!

seniorservice posted:

Don't have any reads on villain, just sat down at the table.

PokerStars Game #22143632757: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2008/11/18 6:18:11 ET
Table 'Dorado' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: MAQAS ($24.65 in chips)
Seat 3: HardHitHans ($5.60 in chips)
Seat 4: aewenos ($9 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO ($28.65 in chips)
Seat 6: firstblood80 ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 7: jglsd1 ($5 in chips)
Seat 8: BillyChongo ($14.35 in chips)
Seat 9: Rounded08 ($29.25 in chips)
firstblood80: posts small blind $0.10
tgtown has returned
jglsd1: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ks Ad]
BillyChongo: folds
Rounded08: folds
MAQAS: folds
HardHitHans: folds
aewenos: folds
HERO: raises $0.75 to $1
firstblood80: raises $0.75 to $1.75
jglsd1: folds
HERO: raises $3.25 to $5
firstblood80: raises $19.75 to $24.75 and is all-in
HERO: calls $19.75
*** FLOP *** [6h 9d 9s]
*** TURN *** [6h 9d 9s] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [6h 9d 9s 3d] [2h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
firstblood80: shows [Ac As] (two pair, Aces and Nines)

Shouldve seen it coming with the retarded three-bet, but should i juts fold AK on the button in this situation? It's folded around to me, there's two people left in the blinds, I don't know this seems like a call to me but then again I hate going broke with AK so what do I do here.

It's micro-cash and he minraised you. I don't mind the 4-bet to $5, but just throw it away when he shoves. I think minraises occur because people just know "I RAISE BEST HAND HURR" and don't realize what a huge giveaway it can be. ESPECIALLY when their next bet is "ARRRR INN" I would watch this guy after this hand and I am willing to wager money 90% of his bets end up being half pot, full pot, minraise, and all in. No input required from user.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I had a sort of interesting hand yesterday.

I had KK in the BB in a 2/4 full ring game and have 150 BB. Another guy who has 150 BB raises the cutoff, button 3bets, I 4bet, cutoff cold 5bets to 60 BB, button shoves the rest of his 120 BB in.

Button is a generally tight uncreative player and cutoff is an "okay" regular.

Can I ever lay down KK here?

I didn't because I'm not Phil Hellmuth and also not gay but I sort of thought if there's a spot you should lay down KK this might be it. I sort of think someone could spaz out with AK here enough of the time though that I have to groan and shove and just whatever happens happens.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2008

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I had a sort of interesting hand yesterday.

I had KK in the BB in a 2/4 full ring game and have 150 BB. Another guy who has 150 BB raises the cutoff, button 3bets, I 4bet, BB cold 5bets to 60 BB, cutoff shoves the rest of his 120 BB in.

Button is a generally tight uncreative player and cutoff is an "okay" regular.

Can I ever lay down KK here?

I didn't because I'm not Phil Hellmuth and also not gay but I sort of thought if there's a spot you should lay down KK this might be it. I sort of think someone could spaz out with AK here enough of the time though that I have to groan and shove and just whatever happens happens.

I'm trying to follow your action here and I'm really confused.

CO (150BB) raises (to ?)
BTN (XBB) 3-bets (to ?)
YOU(BB) (150BB) 4-bet (to ?)
YOU(BB) 5-bets to 60BB?
CO shoves for 120BB (he initially raised to 30BB?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I was typing that while playing and mistyped some stuff.

I meant I 4bet, cutoff cold 5bet, and button shoved.

• Locked thread