Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I have two questions.

First, I know how to drive stick with a car, and I usually blip on downshifts to rev match. Should I do this on a bike as well?

Second, I bought a 1982 Honda CM250C for a first bike and it's in great condition, the only problem being the starter doesn't seem to work. The previous owner said he just bump-started it to get it going, which is okay but I'd definitely prefer the electric start to work. The battery works fine so it's not that, and the button makes a clicking noise when pushed with the ignition on. A friend I had with me said it might be the solenoid, but I have no idea what that is. How should I go about diagnosing the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I have two questions.

First, I know how to drive stick with a car, and I usually blip on downshifts to rev match. Should I do this on a bike as well?

Second, I bought a 1982 Honda CM250C for a first bike and it's in great condition, the only problem being the starter doesn't seem to work. The previous owner said he just bump-started it to get it going, which is okay but I'd definitely prefer the electric start to work. The battery works fine so it's not that, and the button makes a clicking noise when pushed with the ignition on. A friend I had with me said it might be the solenoid, but I have no idea what that is. How should I go about diagnosing the problem?

First: Yes, you can. Not as critical on a bike as in a car, because you can slip the hell out of the clutch on a bike without it being a big deal. But it's a neat trick to have, and a good habit to be in.

Second: Is the battery fully charged? That click is the starter solenoid not engaging correctly, usually a symptom of low voltage out of the battery.

You can try tapping it with a hammer, or if you turn the bike on, you can manually jump the 2 big terminals on the solenoid (it's at the end of the big wire coming off the positive on the battery). If the bike kicks over when you do that, then you need to replace the solenoid. Otherwise, there's some issue with the starter.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Nerobro posted:

Dirt bikes dont' always have titles. That's not a selling point. Being non street legal vehicles makes titles redundant. They also don't have keys. Just a kill button.

Or is it not really a dirtbike. Is it an enduro?
Oh ok.

It's a Yamaha TTR 225, so a trail bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I never knew it was the approved practice until someone told me, I just started doing it to make downshift smoother when I was learning (I've found it takes the edge off if you accidentally double shift too, a scary mistake to a new rider at the best of times).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
What is the consensus on oil changes in the winter? My manual says every 5000 miles overall but I've heard that if you ride in cold weather it should be changed sooner, as soon as 1500 miles in some cases?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

LOLLERZ posted:

Oh ok.

It's a Yamaha TTR 225, so a trail bike.
No, the TTR225 is an enduro. Not a trail bike. :-) Yes, it should have a title. And it does have a key. That's worrying then. I'd not buy it.

Gnaghi posted:

What is the consensus on oil changes in the winter? My manual says every 5000 miles overall but I've heard that if you ride in cold weather it should be changed sooner, as soon as 1500 miles in some cases?
Only if you never let your bike warm up. The only possable reason to change oil more frequently in the winter is if the oil never gets over 212deg. ... Ride it for more than 10-15 minutes and you're just fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nerobro posted:

No, the TTR225 is an enduro. Not a trail bike. :-) Yes, it should have a title. And it does have a key. That's worrying then. I'd not buy it.
Unless you're going to use it as a dirt/trail bike, in which case, wire a kill switch in place of the ignition and forget about the title.

:q:

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Nerobro posted:

Well ok, I learned on a TTR250, so I know what to expect, and that's what I want.

I knew it had a key because the seller says he "lost it" and I remember there being one on the TTR250. My dad bought the TTR250 and never bothered to get a title on it. I don't plan on making this bike road legal either, so I'm thinking a stolen vehicle check is probably enough.

The seller has wired switches to bypass the ignition switch, so starting and using the bike shouldn't be an issue.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nerobro posted:

Foam? Rip those off. Buy new grips. Foam = pain. Foam = dirty hands. Foam = cramped hands. Go buy some gel, or standard grips. As long as they're sticky, you'll like them.

Buying parts from the dealer is a good plan. Alternatively bikebandit is a good choice.

Is there some authoritative source for handlebar diameter? Google seems to indicate a 7/8" (22mm) handlebar for most Hondas. Sound right?

Anyone have a recommended set of gel or standard 7/8" grips, say <$50 which rock?

I'll use the linked parts shops above to replace my missing passenger footpeg as well, though it'll be at least a couple months until I can have a passenger without it being likely manslaughter.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've never heard of a dirtbike not coming with a title. Without a title in Washington you cannot get ORV tags for it to ride on public lands that allow them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is there some authoritative source for handlebar diameter? Google seems to indicate a 7/8" (22mm) handlebar for most Hondas. Sound right?

Yase. I got my handlebars for less than $20. However I neglected to measure the triple tree and consequently had to install them upside down (clubmans) :v: The brand I have is BikeMaster, bought 'em at https://www.ridenow.com IIRC. They had quick shipping and it wasn't expensive.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Another question. My '82 CM250C has a weird idle - it dies really easily with the choke pushed in. Even after warming up it seems to die easily. Also, when it idles, the RPM seems to cycle up and down, and sometimes go so low that I have to rev the engine to keep it alive. It's at the point where me cruising in 1st is actually quieter than when I have the engine idling.

It also seems that when I'm riding the motorcycle will sometimes not give a lot of throttle response and then all of a sudden get a boost of power.

I have no idea how to go about finding the issue other than to mess with the idle speed.

quote:

You can try tapping it with a hammer

Tap the start button with a hammer?

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 19, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Another question. My '82 CM250C has a weird idle - it dies really easily with the choke pushed in. Even after warming up it seems to die easily. Also, when it idles, the RPM seems to cycle up and down, and sometimes go so low that I have to rev the engine to keep it alive. It's at the point where me cruising in 1st is actually quieter than when I have the engine idling.

It also seems that when I'm riding the motorcycle will sometimes not give a lot of throttle response and then all of a sudden get a boost of power.

I have no idea how to go about finding the issue other than to mess with the idle speed.

Tap the start button with a hammer?

Sounds like you need to go through the carbs and clean them out and reset everything to factory.

Tap the starter solenoid. Sometimes they can get crudded up internally and not make a good connection, and tapping it with a hammer will sort that out.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Spartak posted:

How do people handle switching to reserve while in motion?
I reset my trip meter with every fill-up, and watch/listen more carefully when the "known range" rolls around. I learned to give other vehicles a little more breathing room if I thought reserve were imminent, and became accustomed to reaching down and flipping it over. You can also try just doing it from a stop, or at low speeds in a parking lot or something.

My new annoyance is flipping a right-hand petcock for reserve while flying down SoCal's 55 South at 65 mph.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
I have a question of great concern, but I'm not sure if I can explain it in a clear way..

My '99 SV650 has been making some noises. When accelerating from a stop, there's a pop/click that comes from the back end. I can feel it a little with my butt, but moreso with my feet on the pegs. It SOUNDS like something is hitting something else, but it only happens within going from 0-15ish. There's from 1-4 of this pops, and it's scaring me. It happened in both 1st and 2nd gear.

Can someone tell me something to look at so I can give a better explanation? I was looking around at my rear wheel and didn't notice anything hanging. Something I can take pictures of to post of and give someone ideas? I don't know a whole lot about moto-maintenance, but I'll whip out my handy-dandy Clymer and check out whatever you guys tell me to look at.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Anyone have a recommended set of gel or standard 7/8" grips, say <$50 which rock?
I just buy the $8 ones at the local motorcycle shop.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I have a question of great concern, but I'm not sure if I can explain it in a clear way..

My '99 SV650 has been making some noises. When accelerating from a stop, there's a pop/click that comes from the back end. I can feel it a little with my butt, but moreso with my feet on the pegs. It SOUNDS like something is hitting something else, but it only happens within going from 0-15ish. There's from 1-4 of this pops, and it's scaring me. It happened in both 1st and 2nd gear.

Can someone tell me something to look at so I can give a better explanation? I was looking around at my rear wheel and didn't notice anything hanging. Something I can take pictures of to post of and give someone ideas? I don't know a whole lot about moto-maintenance, but I'll whip out my handy-dandy Clymer and check out whatever you guys tell me to look at.

Sounds like a hosed up chain.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Sounds mike its chain related, maybe a tight spot,check that your front sprocket nut is on tight, its easy to check, there's only 3 8mm bolts holding on the plastic cover that's over it. a build up of crap under there can make strange noises too.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Anybody tried driving a heavy bike up and down stairs? I'd like to get my '78 GS1000 into my basement under its own power without breaking the stairs. Handle bars scrapes and wall damage are a non issue. Any thoughts about wood stairs supporting a 500lb+ bike?

Any advice? I guess only use front brake going up and rear brake going down, and just slip the clutch like crazy. My bike is pretty torquey.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goku chewbacca posted:

Anybody tried driving a heavy bike up and down stairs? I'd like to get my '78 GS1000 into my basement under its own power without breaking the stairs. Handle bars scrapes and wall damage are a non issue. Any thoughts about wood stairs supporting a 500lb+ bike?

Any advice? I guess only use front brake going up and rear brake going down, and just slip the clutch like crazy. My bike is pretty torquey.

post a pic of these stairs, i've seen very sturdy wooden stairs and really poo poo ones. getting it in should be easy enough, might want to make up a ramp out of planks for getting it out.

edit: i have seen bikes go up and down wooden stairs, a bike shop in a city near here has an upstairs showroom, the have a permanent ramp up the centre of the stairs (its a u shaped steel channel like a bike trailer would have) they drive all kinds of bikes up there. if you cant drive it out you could always winch it up a ramp.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 19, 2008

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

goku chewbacca posted:

Hmm...I dunno if it's possible, but please get someone to record your attempt. One way or another it sounds like it'd make an awesome video. I've seen plenty of folks on tv going down stairs on bikes, but never up them. It might be safer to get some of those thick floor panels and make a ramp. Cut them to the width of the stairs and staple 1 by 4 strips along it horizontally for grip.

Of course if the stairs fall in...you're screwed, but that's what the video is for.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

goku chewbacca posted:

Just imagine how much it would suck if you successfully got it down the stairs and then couldn't get it back up.

I had this idea of putting a storm door on the side of my house with just a paved incline instead of steps so I could turn my basement into a kind of bike/engine/big parts garage, that would be pretty cool if you felt like spending the money.

Edit: Not a storm door...whatever those slanted basement door things are called.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 19, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been putting off the whole helmet thing far too long, for fear of getting a lovely helmet that I'll hate and sell at a loss. But delaying at all was not bright, and delaying further just tempting fate. Sure, the majority of motorcyclists I see in Austin don't wear helmets, but I'd rather let them fill in the stats vice me.

That said: Shoei X11, WSYAI:CA?

To one degree, I'm thinking that I might as well get a top-of-the-line helmet, given that even a slight improvement in not scrambling my brains would be worth the money if I smack against an unyielding object. Is this the right way of thinking, or am I spending way too much ($500) for modular/washable padding, DOT/Snell/Shoei safety ratings, and a shitload of air vents?

EDIT: All their graphics helmets are uber-lame. Is there any good AI thread or article in adding your own graphics with reflective paint (ignoring resale value)? Can I just get some high-viz reflective paint and have a friend cover a black helmet in white Arabic calligraphy?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

That said: Shoei X11, WSYAI:CA?

When I went to go try out helmets, the two which fit me best were the RF1000 and the X-11. If you like the X-11, try out the RF1000. It's very similar and a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

The saleswoman actually sold me the RF1000 over the X-11 primarily due to the cost issue. They're both really good helmets though so you can't go wrong with either.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Try out the HJC CL-15. I was cross shopping between that and the shoei RF1000. Similar feel and sizing. The CL-15 I got for 57 on clearance online, goes for about 130 retail.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

QnoisX posted:

Hmm...I dunno if it's possible, but please get someone to record your attempt. One way or another it sounds like it'd make an awesome video. I've seen plenty of folks on tv going down stairs on bikes, but never up them. It might be safer to get some of those thick floor panels and make a ramp. Cut them to the width of the stairs and staple 1 by 4 strips along it horizontally for grip.

Of course if the stairs fall in...you're screwed, but that's what the video is for.

I would make a ramp going down the stairs just to distribute the load. Instead of putting the entire weight of the bike on two individual steps, you spread it out over all the steps more-or-less evenly. Of course, if the entire staircase falls down, it doesn't matter if the individual steps don't break, but it's once less thing to worry about.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

This is something I've done several times. First off... No. You won't get it up under it's own power. The stairs aren't wide enough, and with the engine running, you will get roasted. Also the exhaust will be a problem. And fuel issues. You want the bike drained of gas before you even think about bringing it inside.

I have a photo essay of how to do this... I've done it several times with GS550's. I'll post that tonight. It's only about 1/3 as hard as you're making it out to be. But there are lots of things you should know first.

Keep in mind that three people is 600lbs. Stairs can handle 500lbs without blinking. DO NOT DO THIS until we go through the lessons Skreemer and i learned.

EDIT: All their graphics helmets are uber-lame. Is there any good AI thread or article in adding your own graphics with reflective paint (ignoring resale value)? Can I just get some high-viz reflective paint and have a friend cover a black helmet in white Arabic calligraphy?

Helmets have no resale value. Paint them however you like. I recomend stickers though. 3m retroreflective tape lets you do some neat stuff. Also, more expensive helmets aren't any safer. They just tend to do the "nice" things better. That is, they tend to be more quiet, visors fit better, they often have washable liners. And you can be assured long term parts support.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 19, 2008

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't ride the bike upstairs, just use a ramp, a rope and some pulleys.

Edit: Ride the bike upstairs, youtube the result.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Keep in mind that three people is 600lbs. Stairs can handle 500lbs without blinking. DO NOT DO THIS until we go through the lessons Skreemer and i learned.

Yea but weight distribution is going to be off. Know any fat people that walk upi your stairs by just touching the edges of each step?

Build a ramp and use lots of rope for going down and up. Pretensioning the front brake might also help out a lot going down. It will still move but the bikes weight will be less on the ropes or your arms.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

Build a ramp and use lots of rope for going down and up. Pretensioning the front brake might also help out a lot going down. It will still move but the bikes weight will be less on the ropes or your arms.
You're way overthinking this. :-)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Just ride the fucker down.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

*basement bike*
First things first, if you're putting a bike indoors. Remove the carbs (I know it's a GS1000, so this is EASY to do) and remove the gas tank. You do not want to bring anything gas laden into the house. This is a lesson i've learned... you don't need to learn it too.

Getting the bike down, is the easy part. But it still needs three people. Really you have two options. Going down, so long as you have no quams about hurting your bike, you can just walk the bike to the stairs, and walk it over the edge. Your exhaust pipes will touch down. If you have the stock pipes, the GS will actually balance on them. You'll need your friends to help you with this, as if you don't keep control of the bike it will go careening down the stairs. That's ungood. Once you have the bike tipped over the top of the stairs, the front brake will hold the bike, and you can walk the bike down using the front brake. ... Providing you can get around the bike to do that. Definitely have friends on hand.

When we did it, I was in front of the bike, and Skreemer and Terminal Err, were holding the bike back with a rope through the rear shock mounts. Once the bike was tipped over the first step, and slid down till the back tire reached the top of the first step, it worked out just fine.

Now if you LIKE your bike. You'll either strap the bike to a peice of plywood and put the bike into the basement the same way as you'll get it out, or remove the exhaust and know you'll have to retouch the paint under the frame tubes.

So here's your materials.

What you see there is a sheet of 4x8 plywood ripped to 1" narrower than a door frame. You see four tiedown straps. And a length of soft rope.

Now in the following picutres, you'll see the bike switch from a 1983 to a 1980 GS550E a couple times. Skreemer and I both moved our bikes out the same night.

Starting off, here's the Preped plywood. We used two 1" diameter holes at the "front" and I put 1/2" holes at the edges near the front and back to tie down the bike.

Here's the completed sled. With the rope strung, and the tie down straps in place. We used one tiedown strap to each handlebar, one over the rear tire, and one tiedown strap going from the front edge of the sled, to a peg to handle the rearward loading. That load is right at the upper limit of the tiedown straps, so I'd recomend using two straps from the front of the sled to the back, just to be safe. It is important that the rope goes UNDER the sled. That stops the edge of hte sled catching the treads.

To get the bikes through the door, we had to remove the door.

This is the view from the top.

Here's the rig ready to go. With Skreemers bike on board. The front to back strap is on the other side of the sled.

And here's hte view from the top, with my bike on the sled. Those ropes are the key.

Here's our tow vehicle. Yes, we used a Saturn Vue to haul the bikes out on this occasion. At a later date we've done it with two able bodied people. This time we were also hauling two complete bikes out of the basement.

Up he goes. As the bike goes up, keep care, and pay close attention to headroom. Once the bike crests the top of the stairs, it's going to tip quickly.

Skreemer guiding my 80 up the stairs as I very slowly tow the sled up with the Vue.

I didn't get any shots of unloading the bike from the sled. But here's the aftermath. The sled would fit through the doors, however, with the tiedown straps on the sled, it wouldn't fit through the door.

The sled works both ways. We've used it to move bikes missing forks and other bits into the basement. Oh yes, those black marks on the carpet, are from sliding the exhaust along the carpet on the way into the basement... Yeah, don't do that.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 20, 2008

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
Bravo. Thank god for sliding doors and above ground basements.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Without a fancy rig, I would assume it would be easier to maneuver down the stairs backwards, with the handlebars at the top for support. A friend at the tail, and one in front holding the bike would seem useful as well. Just a thought.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've gone solo backwards down the stairs with the RV90 before. It works, but I wouldnt suggest it with anything bigger.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

mr.belowaverage posted:

Without a fancy rig, I would assume it would be easier to maneuver down the stairs backwards, with the handlebars at the top for support. A friend at the tail, and one in front holding the bike would seem useful as well. Just a thought.

Hmm, personally, thinking about it, if I were doing this, I'd rather the bike went down forwards with a rope attached to the back for someone (or multiple someones) at the top of the stairs to hang on it. Bikes are a lot easier to steer forwards, and it going down backwards means the more accessible brake is going to be at the back, meaning it's a lot more likely to lock and skid. Maybe some sort of ratchet like you get on a chain hoist, though that would need something solid to secure to.

I might be overthinking this. It's a bad habit of mine.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

dietcokefiend posted:

Try out the HJC CL-15. I was cross shopping between that and the shoei RF1000. Similar feel and sizing. The CL-15 I got for 57 on clearance online, goes for about 130 retail.

Having just purchased a CL-15 for my girlfriend I would advise against getting one if you have the money for a better helmet and are going to be riding a lot. The shell feels like (and is) extremely thick plastic, it doesn't carry its weight well, and it has all of 2 detents for the visor. It is definitely a beginner's helmet. The CL-SP might be a bit better but I haven't spent much time with it. Additionally, HJC liners aren't exactly comfy, though in my opinion neither are Shoei's. I may be a bit biased but I wear an Arai and I have never regretted the money I spent on it. If you can afford something with a fiberglass-like shell and a comfy liner then go for it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Quick question guys:

Last night decided to check my tire pressure for the first time on my 88 zx600. From the second I unscrewed the cap the valve core was going all "shhhhhhhhh" leaking air. I could add air faster than it was coming out, but obviously I need to fix this. The core tip sits above the stem, whereas the rear tire one is recessed about 1-2mm.

Could the problem be that it wasnt correctly seated? Can I replace the core myself without dismounting the tire from the rim? My motorcycle guru buddy at work successfully put the fear of god into me talking about rapid front tire airloss at highway speeds, so I want the quickest and safest fix possible.

If I take it to a shop I am getting new tires installed. If I do it myself it will be just the core until next season.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

the valve core was going all "shhhhhhhhh"

Go to an auto parts store or WalMart and get a pack of valve cores and the tool for installing them. It shouldn't cost more than $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bung posted:

Go to an auto parts store or WalMart and get a pack of valve cores and the tool for installing them. It shouldn't cost more than $10.

My car did that the first time I went to put air in. The core was just loose and I didn't even need a new one.