Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

mnd posted:

Want. Want want want. I totally agree with the statement about (good looking) chess apps on OS X; I'd almost kill for a decent XBoard/WinBoard-compatible well put-together client.

Let me know if you a) want help and b) are up for taking help from sporadic contributors who are also newish to Cocoa (I'm getting back into it, but when I say "back" I mean from NeXTSTEP).

I'm in the process of making it presentable to the public (adding reasonable menus/hotkeys, preference panes, popping up warning boxes rather than crashing, getting correct resize behavior, etc). Then once I add auto-update it should be ready for a beta, so if you're interested I can definitely give you a copy within the next week or two.

I think it's in pretty good shape considering that it's a nights and weekends kind of a project and it's only a few months old, but it still has plenty of limitations:
  • No winboard support yet, just uci. Even for uci engines I don't support setting engine options yet, so it's defaults all the way. Adding new engines isn't as easy as it ought to be yet either. Supposedly winboard is actually simpler than uci, but I found better documentation for uci so that's what I implemented.
  • No netplay (fics, icc, etc).
  • No real support for managing/analyzing collections of games.
  • The pgn parser is extremely strict, to the point of anal-retentiveness.
  • The auto-analysis feature where you use an engine to add annotations to your game is still extremely simple-minded.
  • Only handles one game at a time.
I'm still trying to sort out exactly what the scope of this thing should be, since I could probably work on it for years and still have features I want to add. I think lots of chess apps are polluted with tons and tons of obscure options that just make them difficult to use without adding much value, so figuring out the right set of options to support and the right interface to handle everything gracefully is a problem in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Not too exciting, sending x264 encoded VHS quality video (320x240x15fps) over reliable multicast, taking about 10% cpu on encoder, 5% decoder (3Ghz P4) although generally idle processes, 128kbps bandwidth allegedly.

I have a separate module on OpenCV to detect faces in ~10ms, the current idea is for a video terminal to switch on and advertise its presence on the network when someone looks at it.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 10, 2008

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Warder posted:

That would be awesome. I just put stuff through google translate. I know it's not great, but at least it opens it up to those other markets. For the next game, I'll probably pay for one of those translation services.

You didn't give any contact information in your profile so I will just paste the translation here.

quote:

Nuzzle ist ein lustiges und herausforderndes Puzzlespiel, in dem es das Ziel ist, die vermischten Kacheln zu ordnen. Die Kacheln kann man nach oben und unten, oder nach links und rechts verschieben. Verschiebt man eine Kachel, wird die gesamte Zeile oder Spalte verschoben. Es fängt einfach an, mit nur vier Kacheln, aber es wird schwieriger wenn mehr Kacheln hinzufügt werden. Versuche die Levels so schnell wie möglich zu schlagen und schlage deinen Highscore.

Merkmale
- Acht Levels mit zunehmendem Schwierigkeitsgrad
- Vier verschiedene Kachelsets
- Farbenfrohe Hintergründe
- Durch Schütteln kann das Level zurückgesetzt werden
- Ein Doppeltip pausiert das Spiel

This is a great thread, I will be sure to post here once I have something to show.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MrMoo posted:

Not too exciting, sending x264 encoded VHS quality video (320x240x15fps) over reliable multicast, taking about 10% cpu on encoder, 5% decoder (3Ghz P4) although generally idle processes, 128kbps bandwidth allegedly.

I have a separate module on OpenCV to detect faces in ~10ms, the current idea is for a video terminal to switch on and advertise its presence on the network when someone looks at it.

I'm doing some work with OpenCV too. Can I ask what camera(s)/video source you're using?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mnd posted:

Can I ask what camera(s)/video source you're using?

Some cheap Microsoft cameras with annoying fluctuating luminance, doesn't seem to affect face detection but it's not conducive to video compression. I'm aiming to get this running on a Geode, and face recognition is not currently important.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004

Neco posted:

You didn't give any contact information in your profile so I will just paste the translation here.

This is a great thread, I will be sure to post here once I have something to show.

Thanks for the translation. I updated what I had.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Coded in ways which would make your eyes bleed -- currently -- I'm working on getting it coded prettier.

http://metrics.cc

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

For anyone interested in the mac chess application I posted about, I've released a beta at http://www.indiscretesoftware.com/kingside. Any feedback or suggestions would be really helpful.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
This just showed up on youtube and nobody at work seems to know who actually made it. Nice to have a fan, I guess.

EDIT: spoke too soon, just after I posted it somebody pointed out that's Trolltech themselves who posted that. This one's actually running on a device.

JoeNotCharles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 14, 2008

nihilocrat
Jun 8, 2004

all the hep cats jam to "cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/audio"

OneEightHundred posted:

I decided the best way to make a Battlefield-ish game was to start with the Quake 3 engine and make a few minor modifications:

Vertex/pixel shader support, new material system, radiosity (which uses GPU acceleration to compile), directional lightmaps, terrain, skeletal models, load-time asset compilation, blah blah...

Oh yeah, and I suck at recruiting so I'm stuck in tech demo hell. :suicide:

Sorry to reply to an ancient reply, but I think this can apply to any hobby projects:

I have had terrible luck with joining / recruiting a team so don't feel bad. Everyone was either really hard to work with (just bad personality mesh), put nonsensical restrictions on the project, or most commonly, had no drive or motivation so they were basically dead weight. The opposite has also been true, but these people have proven to be the types who are interested in "design" or "writing", professing they couldn't learn how to program or even do pixel art, and couldn't really meaningfully contribute to a project with only 2-4 people.

I never knew how hard it is to get a team together that can actually get things done and feed off each other to keep the motivation levels high. I've decided that I should probably just work on projects strictly on my own unless I manage to stumble upon a project where everything just really clicks.

Anyhow, here's one of the more presentable games I'm working on:

As you can tell, I don't really care much for looks. I made the models myself in Wings3d and intend to have a sort of retro look in the age before textures (see: Carrier Command).

I haven't worked on it in months, though, because I've gotten more interested in trying to get 2d games made (the math is simpler, for one!) rather than, like you said, endlessly wallowing in techdemo hell.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

greatZebu posted:

Any feedback or suggestions would be really helpful.

I don't know if you've fixed it since the time you posted the screenshot, but I noticed something:

greatZebu posted:

The placement of the colored tiles are the opposite of what they should be. The lighter colored squares should be aligned so they're in the bottom-right/top-left corners.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

magicalblender posted:

I don't know if you've fixed it since the time you posted the screenshot, but I noticed something:

The placement of the colored tiles are the opposite of what they should be. The lighter colored squares should be aligned so they're in the bottom-right/top-left corners.

Thank you, I knew something didn't quite look right but I wasn't sure what it was.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

greatZebu posted:

Thank you, I knew something didn't quite look right but I wasn't sure what it was.

As they say, "light on right, queen on her own colour".

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm doing a reimplementation, well more of an "inspired by" sorta thing, of an old Amstrad/Spectrum game I used to love called "Fred" (or Roland on the Ropes as it was rebadged on the Amstrad).

Only been at it for a day. Still a lot of problems to solve , such as how to deal with some flickering issues on the iphone, and getting some alpha poo poo to work for multilayered backgrounds and stuff.

Ima go make iphone games and get paid really poorly for it, but it'll be fun.

edit: I dunno, waffle images seems broken for me. I'll upload it later.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 18, 2008

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

This is...well, not a whole lot at the moment. I'm developing a platforming engine for a game about killing robots. The circle is the player, in his Standing state. The spikey guy is...um. Well, he was used to test hitboxes. Basically when I touch his spike, he moves into a second frame. When I touch his body, he moves into the first frame. I don't know why I drew a guy with a spike on his head. And a touchpad was not meant to draw art with.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Had to take a break from working on my MUD to work on my assignment for software engineering. It's nothing too impressive, its a basic web based testing system that I have been coding for the past five days trying to get ready for this Thursday.

My group figured in making a web app that we should mock as many web 2.0 stereotypes as possible so we ended up with the name Testr and this extremely web 2.0 design.

just got done coding the exam display and grading portion. (yes those questions go 10, 20 - for some reason the prof wanted it like that)

Hopefully once this is all done and over with I can get back to my other misc. projects.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine

clockwork automaton posted:

(yes those questions go 10, 20 - for some reason the prof wanted it like that)

Has BASIC taught you nothing? It's so that if you want to add more questions you can put in a (4) or whatever without having to renumber all the rest of them!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

MrMoo posted:

How fast is OpenCV nowadays? Did they streamline the code?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cowcatcher posted:

How fast is OpenCV nowadays? Did they streamline the code?

It doesn't seem particularly speedy but I have no reference. The default Haar classifiers for a face take ~100ms on a tiny QVGA source on a 3.2Ghz Xeon which seems a bit crap. The routine actually might be good but everything around it isn't too great.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Click here for the full 903x512 image.

Been working on a browser game and it's starting to shape up :3:. Time to bring back the 90's!

My only problem so far is I suck at making MySQL indexes.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'm wanting to write an AIM bot.

But it seems that a lot of the interesting projects* have been done already, and Microsoft's ** Live Agents is complicated and waaaay too much for any ideas I'm interested in pursuing.

* http://waxy.org/2004/03/infocombot_for/
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Agents

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
I've written an AIM bot for my company (HMTasks, which requires you sign up for hiveminder.com). It's a lot of fun. Don't be discouraged if there are existing bots in your space. There's plenty of room.

Net::OSCAR for Perl sucks though. I can't figure out how to get encodings right. :sigh: Our DJabberd version of the bot works much better in all possible ways.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
What a coincidence: You might care to know that your ICQ hmtasks bot doesn't seem to be particularly compatible with Miranda, as it constantly keeps cloning itself as hmtasks if i rename it to "HM Tasks".

@ Jones: The important part is not *making a bot*, but making a bot to *do something*.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I once made an AIM bot, called "RequestOBot" to take music requests from people. It would search in my music library (using a MySQL backend) and enqueue the track in winamp to be played on shoutcast radio.

It was loving fun to make, all 1000+ Delphi lines of it. Unfortunately I've changed computers since then and it just won't run for some reason, and I haven't taken the time to install Delphi 7 again (best IDE ever by the way).

I also made it insult back if you insulted it, just for the heck of it. I really wish I had a screenshot or AIM log of it or something, because I still think it's one of my greatest achievements! I used a lot of different libraries to ease the task though, mainly an Id3 lib (for scanning files in my directory), an AIM lib, the mysql dll. To enqueue tracks in Winamp I simply used a command-line switch. I did all the talk parsing by myself using a huge list of things people could say (à la Alice)

IIRC, a conversation would look a bit like that

quote:

Guy: Hey!
RequestOBot: Hi Guy, I'm RequestOBot. Do you want me to call you something else?
Guy: yes
RequestOBot: What do you want me to call you?
Guy: awesomedude, please!
RequestOBot: Alright, awesomedude, what song would you like me to play?
Guy: Do you have anything by Daft Punk?
RequestOBot: Here is the list of tracks I have that match the artist "Daft Punk":
1. Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
2. Daft Punk - Technologic
3. Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
Which one do you want me to play?
Guy: number 2 please!
RequestOBot: I've added "Daft Punk - Technologic" to my playlist, expect it to play soon!
Guy: Thanks, rear end in a top hat
RequestOBot: You're the rear end in a top hat
Guy: gently caress you!
RequestOBot: gently caress you too, awesomedude!
Guy: Do you have Kim by Eminem?
RequestOBot: I want you to say you're sorry
Guy: Do you have Eminem - Kim
RequestOBot: I already told you, I want you to say you're sorry
Guy: I'm sorry
RequestOBot: Apologies accepted.
Guy: Do you have Kim by eminem?

Some day I'll make it work again, and I'll let everyone of you enjoy it!

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Sir Davey posted:

It was loving fun to make, all 1000+ Delphi lines of it. Unfortunately I've changed computers since then and it just won't run for some reason, and I haven't taken the time to install Delphi 7 again (best IDE ever by the way).

I've used delphi all my programming life, and I have to say it's fantastic. Even now, it's not over bloaty, and it's really usable.

I'd be really interested in the source code :)

Iniluki
Mar 31, 2003

The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
Grimey Drawer
No where near as good as some of the stuff i've seen you guys post. But it's entertaining the hell out of me at the moment.

Click here for the full 800x641 image.

I'm in the middle of remaking a website that allows people to design their own ads to appear in our newspapers.

As we're a "family" paper no profianties are allowed in the ads, but they sometimes creep through.

So for the past day and a bit I've gotten to snoop around the internet looking for swear words to make a comphrensive list.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

MrMoo posted:

What streaming server and client software are you using? What multicast protocols and routers, and how big a multicast domain? Any additional encapsulations?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nasoren posted:

What streaming server and client software are you using? What multicast protocols and routers, and how big a multicast domain? Any additional encapsulations?

A GStreamer plugin and running the pipeline through gst-launch as it's convenient, anything else would work too. It's the Pragmatic General Multicast, it can scale up to 1,000s clients quite easily with expensive Cisco gear in the middle. You have a choice between back-channel recovery or one-way channel using Reed Solomon FEC (not BCH), it's technically possible to throw LDCP in there to make it more efficient but you would need quite a large long load to demand it, typically file carousels.

I'm only testing it only on a ProCurve switch LAN with a handful of peers though :smith:

I've seen TRDP run to hundreds of clients before NAK implosions take effect. 1-way traffic scales unlimited, unsurprisingly, it's quite interesting reading the Planète-BCAST stuff but the FLUTE/FCAST algorithms are known to be inferior to PGM due to lack of network element assist.

I don't know many users of PGM even though many companies support it, for market data TRDP is commonly used as it includes point-to-point recovery for small peer specific errors and so scales a bit better on a LAN. PGM however is an open standards protocol and is designed for router-assist. Cisco routers with PGM enabled catch and block duplicate recovery requests, so you can literally have a million clients requesting data and the source only sees one request. Very neat.

FEC is surprisingly cheap if you have a high clock rate, the processor 'speed' doesn't really matter. It's a bit odd but makes a 3Ghz single core Xeon or even P4 faster than 1.6Ghz modern quads or 2Ghz dual-core systems using 'speedier' chipsets.

The plugins are currently running user-mode and so running with UDP encapsulation and port sharing. For recommended security standards to run the real PGM protocol you would need a custom GStreamer shell to run with super-user privileges or restricted system capabilities. Cisco routers can accelerate real PGM protocol packet recovery, not UDP encapsulation, and not 1-way delivery.

It's technically possible to use over InfiniBand but no-one has expressed significant interest to date. Personally, 10G or OpenOnload are more interesting directions.

Let me know if you have any interesting uses for it.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 29, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

clockwork automaton posted:

Mock web2.0 all you like, but thats a mighty fine looking site.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Iniluki posted:

No where near as good as some of the stuff i've seen you guys post. But it's entertaining the hell out of me at the moment.

I'm in the middle of remaking a website that allows people to design their own ads to appear in our newspapers.

As we're a "family" paper no profianties are allowed in the ads, but they sometimes creep through.

So for the past day and a bit I've gotten to snoop around the internet looking for swear words to make a comphrensive list.

Watch out for digraphs!

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Iniluki posted:

This is going to bite you in the rear end when it finds swear words when there were none intended. What if grandma Smith is missing her pussycat?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Heh, I had a job 7 or 8 years ago where we set up a profanity filter. We threw a text file with all the words in it onto the server, so we could update it easily. I don't recall exactly how it happened, I think a search engine ended up indexing the file or something, but to make a long story short a lot of people ended up seeing that file and getting very upset.

That's when I learned the lesson of the futility of security through obscurity.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

StickGuy posted:

My cloud simulation is now more better.

This is too cool. Any updates or chances for a binary? :)

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

Not much to look at, but it's a live demo of my jMaps library for jQuery.

You can visit it at http://jmaps.appjet.net/

The app is written 100% in JavaScript in the Appjet API and jQuery, and uses Mozilla Geode/Google Gears to try get your location to localise the map.

If it can't find them, it falls back to IP based and with this I've also created a publicly available API to get a location from IP using 3rd party XML services and offering a simple JSON object.

Iniluki
Mar 31, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

Watch out for digraphs!

Phuck. More combinations to add to my database.

heeen posted:

This is going to bite you in the rear end when it finds swear words when there were none intended. What if grandma Smith is missing her pussycat?

Just checked and I have filtered out pussy, but not pussycat. So Grandma Smith will be fine.

I have it setup so that in searchs in strings for the really offensive swearwords, so people can't get away with fuckapplearsebadger and other such mashed up words. But the only downside to this is that Scunthorpe is now taboo. Unlucky Scunthrope.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Iniluki posted:

Phuck. More combinations to add to my database.

Just checked and I have filtered out pussy, but not pussycat. So Grandma Smith will be fine.

I have it setup so that in searchs in strings for the really offensive swearwords, so people can't get away with fuckapplearsebadger and other such mashed up words. But the only downside to this is that Scunthorpe is now taboo. Unlucky Scunthrope.

I eagerly await seeing your site in these search results: http://www.google.com/search?q=consbreastution

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

heeen posted:

Or someone wants to advertise a trip to scunthorpe?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

vanjalolz posted:

Mock web2.0 all you like, but thats a mighty fine looking site.

It funny you say that. The project ended up getting over 100% in the end because my professor gave my group extra points because of the interface, so turns out he liked it too.

Iniluki
Mar 31, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

I eagerly await seeing your site in these search results: http://www.google.com/search?q=consbreastution

Ha ha, it doesn't replace words for the user. Will just stop them from proceeding with the ad booking. Usually it's not a problem, but apparently we've had some offensive Birth/Death notices posted before now, that are nothing more than badly disguised death threats. Oh and hookers advertising "Personal Services".

As my boss could get fired for these a filter is TOP 100% PRIORITY. Even though once they're booked they are suppose to be proofed by Sales reps. Turns out we employ really lovely Sales reps who don't read things.

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Or someone wants to advertise a trip to scunthorpe?

I am banking on no one wanting to ever advertise in Scunthorpe. Actually i've not given it much thought over the past few days, i've been working on other stuff, and lying in bed dying of Man Flu on Monday.

Iniluki fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster
I have been working on this since September. The voice is not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZnAWhv1-FI

hexadecimal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 6, 2008