Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

have a new album out! I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it's stunning.

Also, I'm about 5 years late but I've only just listened to Yndi Halda and am really enjoying them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Lately I've really, really been enjoying Dawn Chorus Ignite's "Glimmer" EP. It's an EP with 5 tracks but it totals to 33:29 minutes and is extremely enjoyable.

Unfortunately only one of the songs from the Glimmer EP is on their Myspace; "Am I Here". Why only one song? :mad:. Anyway, listen to that one song: http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorusignites

I'm just now getting into post-rock and have really been enjoying This Will Destroy You's last album. If anybody can recommend to me a song that sounds similar to "Burial On The Presidio Banks" off of that album, that would be great because I absolutely love that song.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
This Will Destroy You just released a split EP with Lymbyc Systym (their touring partners in the US). To be honest, it's not all that impressive, at least TWDY's contribution. They produced two songs and both of them are really just rehashes of their previous work. I am not sure if that is intentional or just that they just didn't feel like getting creative. The second track is almost completely forgettable, but the first one starts off somewhat interesting in how they use a lot of noise, but the rest of it plods along in their usual style and left me pretty underwhelmed (sort of like this sentence). It's unfortunate, but it's nice to hear something that's at least sort of new from them.

Danneh
Jan 3, 2007

If Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch.
I just got back from This Will Destroy You at London's Camden Underworld and, as I thought they would, they absolutely blew me away. I got a Young Mountain T-shirt I hadn't seen before (just dark blue with a white bear logo above the name) and the new split E.P with Lymbym System (in a nutshell, I kinda agree with JaWs only I really enjoy the 2nd track, Freedom Blade. The Lymbyc Systym side is pretty decent, though).

The first band, The Death Of Her Money, were absolutely shocking. By far the worst support band I've ever seen at a gig, it was basically a three-piece wanting to be Isis. The sound was terrible (the bass making it practically unlistenable) and the guitarist would not shut up with his feedback, which was dragged out far too long only just after the second song. I'm convinced absolutely nobody was enjoying them.

On the other hand, Mom were spectacular. Whether it was because I was just really grateful a different band had taken up the stage or that their charm and song's were very mellow and uplifting, they really bought everyone back and even though they used noise and feedback to enhance their set and music, they did it in all the right places.

When TWDY took the stage, Mom joined them in opening with Three Legged Workhorse (and lateron in Freedom Blade). They stuck pretty faithfully to the set someone had mentioned earlier, but they left the stage after playing Burial on P. Banks (which was breathtaking) and came back to play They Move On Tracks Of Never Ending Light and finished on There Are Some Remedies.

I know its become a Post-rock goon fad to start hating on TWDY recently, and I'm not saying it isn't genuine, but I honestly thought tonight was one of the best gig's I've ever been to. Maybe its because I've been listening to TWDY so much this past year that I've fanboy-blinded myself to the criticism they recieve, but their music has become very special to me and I don't think I could properly criticize it live even if I wanted to. It started off badly, but I think Mom and TWDY did an awesome job and I wouldn't hesitate to see either band again.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

AprilONeilsTits posted:

i dont think you know what post rock is. appleseedcast lol
Low Level Owl is the only worthwhile thing The Appleseed Cast ever really did and it could definitely fit in the post-rock genre. I don't understand how they went from emo to pretty much one of the greatest albums ever, and a double album at that, back to just lovely emo again.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

suddenlyissoon posted:

Low Level Owl is the only worthwhile thing The Appleseed Cast ever really did and it could definitely fit in the post-rock genre. I don't understand how they went from emo to pretty much one of the greatest albums ever, and a double album at that, back to just lovely emo again.

i dont think you know what emo is. appleseedcast lol

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

Danneh posted:

I just got back from This Will Destroy You at London's Camden Underworld and, as I thought they would, they absolutely blew me away. I got a Young Mountain T-shirt I hadn't seen before (just dark blue with a white bear logo above the name) and the new split E.P with Lymbym System (in a nutshell, I kinda agree with JaWs only I really enjoy the 2nd track, Freedom Blade. The Lymbyc Systym side is pretty decent, though).

The first band, The Death Of Her Money, were absolutely shocking. By far the worst support band I've ever seen at a gig, it was basically a three-piece wanting to be Isis. The sound was terrible (the bass making it practically unlistenable) and the guitarist would not shut up with his feedback, which was dragged out far too long only just after the second song. I'm convinced absolutely nobody was enjoying them.

On the other hand, Mom were spectacular. Whether it was because I was just really grateful a different band had taken up the stage or that their charm and song's were very mellow and uplifting, they really bought everyone back and even though they used noise and feedback to enhance their set and music, they did it in all the right places.

When TWDY took the stage, Mom joined them in opening with Three Legged Workhorse (and lateron in Freedom Blade). They stuck pretty faithfully to the set someone had mentioned earlier, but they left the stage after playing Burial on P. Banks (which was breathtaking) and came back to play They Move On Tracks Of Never Ending Light and finished on There Are Some Remedies.

I know its become a Post-rock goon fad to start hating on TWDY recently, and I'm not saying it isn't genuine, but I honestly thought tonight was one of the best gig's I've ever been to. Maybe its because I've been listening to TWDY so much this past year that I've fanboy-blinded myself to the criticism they recieve, but their music has become very special to me and I don't think I could properly criticize it live even if I wanted to. It started off badly, but I think Mom and TWDY did an awesome job and I wouldn't hesitate to see either band again.

Yeah, I was there too, only saw the end of the first band's set. Just the guy getting a ton of feedback. Mom were awesome! Very uplifting stuff and the fact that the guy seemed really nice helped aswell. When TWDY came on I predicted that it might turn into a sonic mess but they were on the ball completely, the clean tone that the tele was generating was just awesome, and every breakdown was so well done. Threads and There are Some Remedies were my favourite, it helped that I saw them in a closed area aswell, the sound just surrounded everyone.

Danneh
Jan 3, 2007

If Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch.

Echoes posted:

Yeah, I was there too, only saw the end of the first band's set. Just the guy getting a ton of feedback. Mom were awesome! Very uplifting stuff and the fact that the guy seemed really nice helped aswell. When TWDY came on I predicted that it might turn into a sonic mess but they were on the ball completely, the clean tone that the tele was generating was just awesome, and every breakdown was so well done. Threads and There are Some Remedies were my favourite, it helped that I saw them in a closed area aswell, the sound just surrounded everyone.

Ah, nice one man. You really didn't miss much on The Death of Her Money, as I said, but Mom just seemed genuinely happy to be there. I was standing in front of the Rocksound poster on the side banister, and the sound there was awesome. The first band had me worried about the sound because their sound was so rubbish. My fav deffo had to be Burial on Presidio Banks, it was the song that got me into them in the first place and is still my fav of theirs.

The real bummer of the night was realising I had given the frontman of The Death Of Her Money a light for his fag before the show :(

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

artificial posted:

have a new album out! I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it's stunning.

I've got the new CD too, I haven't listened to it too much but I really like it so far, especially track 7. I just hope they take this album on tour outside Japan sometime soon.

Also, I just found out they've made a video for track 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwsAuL5ff2o

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.
Instead of posting this in the shameless plug thread, this one would probably generate more interest. I have recently gotten involved in a post-rock project, feel free to indulge.

http://www.myspace.com/attntheband

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Reminds me of God is an Astronaut. I like it quite a bit.

After listening more, I like some of the samples that you guys use. I am a fan.

JaWs fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 12, 2008

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

science in motion posted:

Instead of posting this in the shameless plug thread, this one would probably generate more interest. I have recently gotten involved in a post-rock project, feel free to indulge.

http://www.myspace.com/attntheband

I actually like this a lot, awesome! Especially the first 3 tracks you have up on Myspace. What programs or equipment did you use to make it?

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I actually like this a lot, awesome! Especially the first 3 tracks you have up on Myspace. What programs or equipment did you use to make it?

It was pretty much all done with Garageband and Reason with the addition of some midi controllers and a few other keyboards. The drums were all sequenced in GB as well. A lot of it was actually done before I was even a part of the project so I don't know exactly how most of the production process went. We are in the process of doing pre-production for the first proper studio recording, so that will hopefully bring the sound up to a whole new level and allow us to get really creative with it.

science in motion fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 12, 2008

albear
Jun 7, 2001

It was pretty much all done on garageband with the addition of some midi controllers and a few other keyboards. The drums were all sequenced in GB as well. A lot of it was actually done before I was even a part of the project so I don't know exactly how most of the production process went. We are in the process of doing pre-production for the first proper studio recording, so that will hopefully bring the sound up to a whole new level and allow us to get really creative with it.

oh hey what's up

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

albear posted:

oh hey what's up

How do you keep changing your user name? Asian.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

I guess I'm a year late to the post-rock thread bandwagon. Shame as I consider myself a post-rock connoisseur.

I don't understand why everyone is jizzing over This Will Destroy You. They hail from a town literally 20 miles away from Austin, where EiTS hail from, and sound EXACTLY like EiTS. They do absolutely nothing special or redeeming.

This is a legitimate question, what is everyone else hearing that I'm obviously not?

The Evpatoria Report - Maar
Swiss post rock band, just released a second album and it's just as good as their last. Fairly standard post rock but more of a roller coaster ride rather than static build ups and drops. They use a LOT of layering and experiment with different instruments and sampling here and there on different tracks. Really great album.

The American Dollar - A Memory Stream
Another new album, very similar to Album Leaf but a little more rock than electronica. Very mellow, soothing and creative.

The Six Parts Seven - Everywhere and Right Here
Probably one of my favorite albums. Slow, southernly post rock, slide guitars,completely undistorted and unadulterated guitars, piano, xylophone, etc. It's like American Football only far more mature and complex.

Tristeza - A Colores
Another one of my favorite albums. Dark, brooding music that constantly skirts the line between electronica and post rock. Perfect harmony between the thick layering of keyboard, instrumentals and reverb. This album has brought me great enjoyment, it's a shame though because I don't really care for any of Tristeza's other work.
http://www.last.fm/music/Tristeza/_/Balabaristas

Maserati - Inventions For The New Season

Oh and holy balls is the new Mogwai album loving fantastic...

Sharks Keep Moving - Sharks Keep Moving
Early Day Miners - Offshore
George Dorn Screams - Snow Lovers are Dancing

Sorry of any of this is a repost, I tried to skim through the thread as best I can.

CzarDestructo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 13, 2008

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

CzarDestructo posted:

Sharks Keep Moving - Sharks Keep Moving

Sharks Keep Moving are considered post-rock? Guess I never really thought about it before. Wasn't a big fan of Jake Snider's singing but the music was great. Still prefer Minus the Bear though, I suppose.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Sharks Keep Moving are considered post-rock? Guess I never really thought about it before. Wasn't a big fan of Jake Snider's singing but the music was great. Still prefer Minus the Bear though, I suppose.

I guess maybe you're right, more slow blues-ish guitar now that I think about it. For whatever reason I have Sharks Keep Moving and American Football pinned in my head as post-rock because I started getting into them around the same time I started getting into Mogwai and the beginnings of EiTS. Ah well, half the fun is arguing about what is or isn't post-rock.

And holy poo poo I always enjoyed Sharks Keep Moving and never bothered to notice the correlations with Minus the Bear. No wonder I like Minus so much...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I went to see From Monuments to Masses and These Monsters in Manchester on Monday night at the Night and Day Cafe.

Also there were Freezing Fog who are pretty much a straight up metal band, but they were good also.

Here are my three Flickr sets from the night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157608893911822/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157608889938005/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157608889125129/

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

CzarDestructo posted:

I don't understand why everyone is jizzing over This Will Destroy You. They hail from a town literally 20 miles away from Austin, where EiTS hail from, and sound EXACTLY like EiTS. They do absolutely nothing special or redeeming.

I'm with you. There's a track or two I enjoy, but if the band were to cease to be I wouldn't care or notice.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

I'm with you. There's a track or two I enjoy, but if the band were to cease to be I wouldn't care or notice.

Somebody's not getting invited to the Mighty Rio Grande

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Big Wreck posted:

Hahaha. Nice.

I actually think This Will Destroy You has a noticeably different sound to their music. I think they have way more of an electronic influence on their tracks. Of course, people are welcome to disagree.

On the note of Explosions in the Sky, I recently started listening to a group (or one guy) called Mountains in the Sky. It's pretty much nothing like EitS or even post-rock, but it is fun to listen to. I think the best song I've heard by MitS is Noah's Arkestra, if you are curious.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Really this is only tangentially related but I'll still present it as "Music without lyrics" so just peep this El Ten Eleven jam from last Monday night:

http://www.vimeo.com/2272462

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 18, 2008

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Really this is only tangentially related but I'll still present it as "Music without lyrics" so just peep this El Ten Eleven jam from last Monday night:

http://www.vimeo.com/2272462

I just saw these guys last week. Such an amazing show.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Also here is this: http://www.iamserio.us/files/L1011_-_Fanshawe_(Live).mp4

This is from a different show. It's a two-cam with soundboard audio instead of mics.

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

JaWs posted:

Reminds me of God is an Astronaut. I like it quite a bit.

After listening more, I like some of the samples that you guys use. I am a fan.

We just posted a free download for the live version of one of our songs. It's not actually recorded live but our studio versions and the way we actually play things live differ slightly right now. Either way, it's free music so go for it if you'd like.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=nv3p13njxyc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know this thread never really gets updated much, but I just wanted to share that I found a post on Postapocalyptic Vanguard (the post-rock LiveJournal blog) about a post-rock internet radio station.

Here's the link: http://www.postrocking.com/

I've been listening to it for about 45 minutes so far and it's really awesome. Nice mix of calm/soft stuff and rocking/energetic stuff.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

As long as I can get my Last Rites.

Weltschmerz
Sep 26, 2008

Ever wonder what your favourite Italian screamo band would sound like without the screams? Enter Neil on Impression, one of the lesser-known post-rock gems of Europe featuring members of the now defunct (and way louder) raein.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/1013170768

Good lord.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

albear posted:

i dont think you know what emo is. appleseedcast lol

90's emo by the stereotype. Mare Mortis was one of the best emo albums of the decade despite coming out in '99.

But their 2006 release has several instrumental songs like that of LLO, and their vocalist has said that their newest album due in January will be pretty minimalistic on the vocals.

Currently though, I've been listening to We All Inherit The Moon (funnily enough, the current project of the vocalist from one of the earliest emo with lots of screaming bands Indian Summer.)

You can download their LP from their myspace for free (http://www.myspace.com/weallinheritthemoon) but I also recommend picking up the vinyl release. Excellent minimalistic stuff, if you like Eluvium and similar I'd give them a listen.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I went to see Russian Circles/These Arms are Snakes last week. I know TaaS aren't really post-rock, but Russian Circles are.

Wow. If you ever get the chance to see them, take it. They were amazing. The guitarist had trouble with two seperate amps, so the set was delayed, but it was really worth the wait. The energy and volume, combined with the venue (the Star And Garter, pretty much just the upstairs room of a pub) made it a really amazing show. I never realised how good their drummer is, until I saw him play.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

That's the only good EITS album! The man clearly has taste. :)

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know this thread never really gets updated much, but I just wanted to share that I found a post on Postapocalyptic Vanguard (the post-rock LiveJournal blog) about a post-rock internet radio station.

Here's the link: http://www.postrocking.com/

I've been listening to it for about 45 minutes so far and it's really awesome. Nice mix of calm/soft stuff and rocking/energetic stuff.

This is pretty loving fantastic, thank you very much for this find. Now I just need to figure out how to get streams to work on my new phone so I can listen to it at work.

One thing about that station though, I'm going to be a whiny bitch and point out a lot of the music is shoegaze which I suppose could skirt under the umbrella of post-rock. Not saying I don't enjoy it though, just splitting hairs.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

solarp posted:

That's the only good EITS album! The man clearly has taste. :)

Oh come on! The earth is not a cold dead place is so much more refined, exceptionally well mastered and just plain epic.

EiTS fight 123 go

albear
Jun 7, 2001

CzarDestructo posted:

Oh come on! The earth is not a cold dead place is so much more refined, exceptionally well mastered and just plain epic.

EiTS fight 123 go

that must've been the first time you heard of eits when that album came out. it's okay, us old schoolers think that album is alright

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I like Earth is not a Cold Dead Place the least out of anything EITS has ever done (well, didn't like FNL soundtrack either). It's got its moments but overall pretty boring. I agree that Those Who Tell The Truth... is their best one.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

albear posted:

that must've been the first time you heard of eits when that album came out. it's okay, us old schoolers think that album is alright

Actually I was getting into them from random MP3s I got here and there off their inital release of how strange innocence back in 2001. In particular a song for our fathers. I still feel they peaked with the earth it not a cold dead place.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I like Earth is not a Cold Dead Place the least out of anything EITS has ever done (well, didn't like FNL soundtrack either). It's got its moments but overall pretty boring. I agree that Those Who Tell The Truth... is their best one.

What about the rescue? I couldn't even listen to the entire thing.

CzarDestructo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 3, 2008

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Rescue had some great tracks, the only dud was 3, the second half of it had some of their best stuff on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Weird how musical tastes work. I figured you'd put the rescue in the same boat as the earth is not because they're both more mellow and slow (boring to many). I tend to like the more slow going, boring yet epic post rock. After listening to their newer albums when I hear old explosions it just sounds rough around the edges and almost crude. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy it.