Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Two things. One, my best friend had a very very low speed accident on my bike (XR125L), basically dropped it on the right side. On first inspection it seemed he'd just grazed a few plastic bits and knocked the mirror around. I went out for a ride today and it appears that the forks are twisted. I've looked at the tubes and they appear to be straight, so it's just a case of undoing the clamps, straightening up the tubes and doing it up again. Howevever, my bike doesn't have a centre stand, so I was wondering what the normal procedure is?

Also, when adding aforementioned friend to my insurance, the cost of it went down. He's about the same age as me, the bike's still registered same place and he's been riding less time than I have. The only thing I can think that makes sense is that he's got a full car license and has had for 3 years or so. But why does a car license have anything to do with my bike (or does it?)? My insurance also went down when I added my sister, and although she's also got less experience than me, she's also got a full car license. Both of them only have CBTs, neither have passed the full bike test yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Orange Someone posted:

Also, when adding aforementioned friend to my insurance, the cost of it went down. He's about the same age as me, the bike's still registered same place and he's been riding less time than I have. The only thing I can think that makes sense is that he's got a full car license and has had for 3 years or so. But why does a car license have anything to do with my bike (or does it?)? My insurance also went down when I added my sister, and although she's also got less experience than me, she's also got a full car license. Both of them only have CBTs, neither have passed the full bike test yet.
I'd guess ability to deal with traffic/comply with traffic laws is something they consider as universal over car/cycle licensing, and potentially a bigger factor than how to actually operate the bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Insurers always look to reduce risk, so by adding people who already have a history of both driving and insurance, it helps their risk assessment.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Could also be that insurance companies like to do discounts if you have multiple insurances. Although I have only really heard of this when you yourself have multiple insurances (house/car/cycle).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Orange Someone posted:

Two things. One, my best friend had a very very low speed accident on my bike (XR125L), basically dropped it on the right side. On first inspection it seemed he'd just grazed a few plastic bits and knocked the mirror around. I went out for a ride today and it appears that the forks are twisted. I've looked at the tubes and they appear to be straight, so it's just a case of undoing the clamps, straightening up the tubes and doing it up again. Howevever, my bike doesn't have a centre stand, so I was wondering what the normal procedure is?

Put a jack under the engine (not on a filter or anything like that), jack the front end off the ground, loosen the triple/steering stem bolts, straigten poo poo out, and tighten it back down. it's worthwhile to put something under the front wheel, just barely touching, so that if it drops down the forks don't just fall out of the triples...but usually they'll stay in there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Z3n posted:

Put a jack under the engine (not on a filter or anything like that), jack the front end off the ground, loosen the triple/steering stem bolts, straigten poo poo out, and tighten it back down. it's worthwhile to put something under the front wheel, just barely touching, so that if it drops down the forks don't just fall out of the triples...but usually they'll stay in there.

Since it is a dirtbike, I'd suggest buying a dirtbike stand for it. You basically lift the thing onto the stand and it's going to be far more stable. Most shops carry a range of them, I have one of the plastic ones that looks like a milk crate. It probably cost <$30.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

Since it is a dirtbike, I'd suggest buying a dirtbike stand for it. You basically lift the thing onto the stand and it's going to be far more stable. Most shops carry a range of them, I have one of the plastic ones that looks like a milk crate. It probably cost <$30.

Wasn't sure if it was a dirtbike or some other small displacement bike...I'd go with the dirt stand over a jack any day of the week.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
New question, new stupid.

I ride an '07 Triumph Thruxton with an unmodified engine and exhaust system. My commute home is about thirty miles alternating between slow freeways, fast freeways, and a couple miles of surface streets. Lately I've noticed when I get home, the first five or six inches of the headers are literally glowing hot - a dull, dusky orange color. I haven't noticed this before, but given that I'm coming home in the dark more often now it's possible I just missed it. Is this something to be concerned about?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
No, it's nothing to be concerned about. It's just the reality of modern engines having to comply to emissions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Glowing headers probably means its running lean. Being an 07 bike definitely means its running lean.

Something like a powercommander, or a reflash of a different fuel map would take care of it, and maybe score you an extra horsepower or two.

That being said, as long as its not knocking and pinging, its OK.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SV has a (rear) flat and I can't really afford a tow.

Uh. gently caress?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You dont know anyone with a trailer/truck/van/etc?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

SV has a (rear) flat and I can't really afford a tow.

Uh. gently caress?

Get a patch kit and a bike pump.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

You dont know anyone with a trailer/truck/van/etc?

Nope, and AAA won't tow because I'm not covered by some no-name, never heard of insurance company.

I'll go pick up a patch kit this weekend, failing that I'll rent a u-haul pickup.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Hmm...so let's say you zone out and put 87 in your tank instead of 93. 91 is what is recommended for the bike, but we have 87, 89, and 93. So yeah, is it fine to ride this tank out and put 93 in it next time or should I drain and replace it? I swear I thought I read that it took 87 somewhere, but under my passenger seat it says to use 91. I could get some of that octane booster I suppose and use that maybe? So far the engine seems to run fine. It's bitchy starting out, but it was like that before. Too lean from the factory...need to fix that at some point...

2008 250r Ninja btw.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

it's just fine. you don't need the full octane rating unless you're running full throttle.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Nerobro posted:

it's just fine. you don't need the full octane rating unless you're running full throttle.

Well I'm taking it pretty easy still, so np. Thanks, I was a bit worried.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
My former Pegaso and my BMW GS would get the pipes glowing. Just the way bikes are these days. In your case, their is some kind of kit to shut off the air injection for the newer Truimph twins http://www.newthruxton.com/html/ai_removal_kit.html and this may take care of the problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

QnoisX posted:

I swear I thought I read that it took 87 somewhere, but under my passenger seat it says to use 91.

There are two different ways of measuring octane rating. In the rest of the world, the octane rating reads about 4-5 points higher than the same fuel in the US. I know my Vulcan lists both of the ratings in different places on the bike and in the book. You should reread the manual to make sure you really need 91 octane or if 87 is good enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Hehe...yep. Just looked it up in the manual and it does say to use 87. So the manual says 87 and the reminder sticker under the passenger seat says 91. Maybe I'll just use 89 to split the difference. Or not. I suppose if the engine doesn't care, then I shouldn't worry about it. Using a higher octane than required probably won't help anything, so it's just a waste.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

QnoisX posted:

Hehe...yep. Just looked it up in the manual and it does say to use 87. So the manual says 87 and the reminder sticker under the passenger seat says 91. Maybe I'll just use 89 to split the difference. Or not. I suppose if the engine doesn't care, then I shouldn't worry about it. Using a higher octane than required probably won't help anything, so it's just a waste.

Ninja250.org agrees - use 87.

My stupid question:

I was riding to work yesterday, and took a right turn at pretty low speed - maybe 5mph. There was a pothole in the middle of the turn, not a big one, but enough that when the front wheel hit it, it definitely unsettled the bike. It felt momentarily like the bike tried to fall, but I reacted and stood it up.

In thinking about it, though, I sort of think that the feeling I had was the suspension moving over the bump, not the bike falling over. So, is that true, and is it better to react in a situation like that, or to let the suspension handle it?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 3, 2008

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nope, and AAA won't tow because I'm not covered by some no-name, never heard of insurance company.

I'll go pick up a patch kit this weekend, failing that I'll rent a u-haul pickup.

Will it hold air at all? Twice when I've had a flat it would hold air long enough for me to limp it to the dealership. It's a bit nerve racking but works.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Ninja250.org agrees - use 87.

My stupid question:

I was riding to work yesterday, and took a right turn at pretty low speed - maybe 5mph. There was a pothole in the middle of the turn, not a big one, but enough that when the front wheel hit it, it definitely unsettled the bike. It felt momentarily like the bike tried to fall, but I reacted and stood it up.

In thinking about it, though, I sort of think that the feeling I had was the suspension moving over the bump, not the bike falling over. So, is that true, and is it better to react in a situation like that, or to let the suspension handle it?

You have really soft, long travel suspension, so I doubt that it was the suspension just taking it up. You did the right thing to stand the bike up somewhat there to compensate for it falling into the corner, as long as it didn't cause you to blow the corner. Also, sometimes potholes at low speed can cause the bike to do strange things as the front wheel catches a seam or gets the edge of the hole at a strange angle. So...sounds like you did just fine. If the suspension handles it, great, but sometimes the suspension won't handle sharp edged bumps at a strange angle correctly.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I bought a 2006 DRZ400SM last night, which is running a bit lean (it backfires when letting off throttle). I haven't dealt with carbs in a while and have never had to adjust them in this way. Was hoping someone could give me a quick run down on what I need to do this weekend to clean up the fueling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I bought a 2006 DRZ400SM last night, which is running a bit lean (it backfires when letting off throttle). I haven't dealt with carbs in a while and have never had to adjust them in this way. Was hoping someone could give me a quick run down on what I need to do this weekend to clean up the fueling.

I think you mentioned that you have a yosh exhaust on it. I would imagine you need to rejet the thing. I would get a dynojet jet kit and at the same time do the 3x3 mod that virtually everyone does. Check the thumpertalk forum on DRZs for more info on this. I found the best way to cut the airbox was to use a metal putty knife, heat it up w/ a torch and basically melt it through the box. It cuts through like butter.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004

pr0zac posted:

Before you rejet it you may think about checking if there is a PAIR valve. I've got a couple suzukis with them and one of the symptoms of a valve clogged with carbon will be backfiring with letting off the throttle. A bag of golf tees and half an hour will generally remedy the problem.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

You have really soft, long travel suspension, so I doubt that it was the suspension just taking it up. You did the right thing to stand the bike up somewhat there to compensate for it falling into the corner, as long as it didn't cause you to blow the corner. Also, sometimes potholes at low speed can cause the bike to do strange things as the front wheel catches a seam or gets the edge of the hole at a strange angle. So...sounds like you did just fine. If the suspension handles it, great, but sometimes the suspension won't handle sharp edged bumps at a strange angle correctly.

Cool. I still made it around the corner, so all good :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taelrin posted:

Before you rejet it you may think about checking if there is a PAIR valve. I've got a couple suzukis with them and one of the symptoms of a valve clogged with carbon will be backfiring with letting off the throttle. A bag of golf tees and half an hour will generally remedy the problem.

No PAIR on the DRZ.

pr0zac, head to the thumpertalk forums, and ask (or read about) what you should be running for jetting. I'd skip the dynojet kit. One, they're expensive as gently caress, and two, they dont use standard jet sizes.

The guys at TT should be able to tell you what size jets to run. You may need to change the needle as well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Experience tells me.. if you can get by without a dynojet kit. DO SO. Their kits ruin many of the advantages of a good carb (which you have..) to make their kits easy to build for new models

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nerobro posted:

Experience tells me.. if you can get by without a dynojet kit. DO SO. Their kits ruin many of the advantages of a good carb (which you have..) to make their kits easy to build for new models

Reading TT a bit, I'm gonna try messing with fueling screw tonight and see if I can clear it up, if not I'll order a James Dean jetting kit for the weekend.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The reason you buy either the dynojet or the jd kit is for the needle. Apparently they are far better then the stock ones. I don't really see the issue with the non standard numbers as dynojet gives you a range of them and tells you what settings work. Trust me I'm a cheap bastard but after my research it was clear that a real jet kit was the way to go.

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!
My drz pops also with the yosh and I have installed the James Dean kit. I would have messed with the fuel screw to get it to stop, but I installed the fcr 39 carb and will need to buy another screw. (It's still poping with the new carb.) I'm not sure if it's lean or not but Eddie the jetting wizard from TT said popping on decel is normal as long as it's not backfiring. The stock pipe is so good at muffling that the popping is heard as burbling. With the yosh, it's more noticable.I do agree that it is annoying.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Skumby posted:

My drz pops also with the yosh and I have installed the James Dean kit. I would have messed with the fuel screw to get it to stop, but I installed the fcr 39 carb and will need to buy another screw. (It's still poping with the new carb.) I'm not sure if it's lean or not but Eddie the jetting wizard from TT said popping on decel is normal as long as it's not backfiring. The stock pipe is so good at muffling that the popping is heard as burbling. With the yosh, it's more noticable.I do agree that it is annoying.

I read this a lot, how can you tell whether or not is popping or backfiring? I've not read anything describing the difference.

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!
Backfire sounds like a gunshot. Usually only one of them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

n8r posted:

Trust me I'm a cheap bastard but after my research it was clear that a real jet kit was the way to go.
And when the DJ kit doesn't work for you? You're out that $80-120. Mikuni needles are $8 each. Mikuni jets are $7 a pair. You can do a lot of loving around for $100 in jets. Especially for a single.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I have had backfires on decel on my 2006 SV650s. I have a full yosh and a properly programmed Power commander. I get a bit of burble and my friend has mentioned I've shot flames on decel from now and then.

Wouldn't flames say rich? Other than being loving cool, what do I have to worry with flames?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

it's apt to burn out hte packing in your exhaust. Otherwise? it just looks cool

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Sans packing just makes it louder right? So packing goes and it gets louder and I'll just slip the silencer in. No harm no foul.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I think I found a fun project bike :iamafag:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/943360775.html

I bet I could do some wicked burnouts(scrapeouts) down the street with it. How the gently caress do you rip off a tire like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, first off, you steal it, beat the everloving poo poo out of it, asplode the rear tyre doing donuts, then, once you've had your fun, part it out, or stupidly try to sell an entire stolent bike.

I mean, sure, he just found the bike crashed on the side of the road and thought it would be worth something. :rolleyes: