Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

CzarDestructo posted:

Oh come on! The earth is not a cold dead place is so much more refined, exceptionally well mastered and just plain epic.

EiTS fight 123 go

It's really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I only admit to liking obscure bands.

science in motion
Jan 21, 2006
This Changes Everything.

solarp posted:

It's really boring.

I disagree. The dynamics of that album were phenomenal. It had a great warm/organic sound and they didn't overproduce the poo poo out of it. It didn't follow the generic rock 4/4 time signatures with loud and repetitive choruses that they seemed to rely upon throughout a lot of the earlier stuff. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
holy poo poo neil on impression released a new album

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

albear posted:

holy poo poo neil on impression released a new album

gently caress! Thanks for the alert :D

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I went to see Russian Circles/These Arms are Snakes last week. I know TaaS aren't really post-rock, but Russian Circles are.

Wow. If you ever get the chance to see them, take it. They were amazing. The guitarist had trouble with two seperate amps, so the set was delayed, but it was really worth the wait. The energy and volume, combined with the venue (the Star And Garter, pretty much just the upstairs room of a pub) made it a really amazing show. I never realised how good their drummer is, until I saw him play.

I can only assume you're talking about Manchester here and I can't believe I didn't know Russian Circles were coming! Star & Garter is a brilliant venue, I used to nearly die of dehydration regularly at their ska nights.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

http://www.last.fm/music/These+Monsters

Saxophone infused post-rock, it's refreshing and fantastic.

“…witnesses halt in their tracks, intoxicated by the heady miasma of jazz-post-rock resonance both comforting and devastating…”

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

CzarDestructo posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm looking for some bands that focus more on the drum tracks then the guitar tracks, or just bands with harder hitting drums.

Kind of like 65 days of static - the destruction. Anyone know of anything I should check out?

Jaladar
Apr 20, 2007

How lonely sits the city.

Harminoff posted:

I'm looking for some bands that focus more on the drum tracks then the guitar tracks, or just bands with harder hitting drums.

Kind of like 65 days of static - the destruction. Anyone know of anything I should check out?
Maybeshewill?

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Ever listen to Don Caballero? This song is about as drums driven as it gets.

The Cancer Conspiracy - check out Broken Heartbeats Gathered and Rebroadcast. This band is horrendously underrated and overlooked.

GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! - two dudes, just drums and guitar so they both have a pretty big role.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

CzarDestructo posted:

“…witnesses halt in their tracks, intoxicated by the heady miasma of jazz-post-rock resonance both comforting and devastating…”

Did you see my photos link earlier in the thread? I got a bunch of photos of them last month and they were fantastic. I'm really getting into them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jaladar posted:

Maybeshewill?

When they first came around I thought they were a 65 tribute band or something. As time went on they became pretty decent, and their album was great.

65 and MSW are playing together in April in Leicester. Tempted to make the long trip from up north.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

CzarDestructo posted:

GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! - two dudes, just drums and guitar so they both have a pretty big role.

I really like GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES! however, I have found that they can be pretty hit or miss with fans of the post-rock genre. One of my friends who I got into post-rock likes the more traditional stuff, but cannot stand G?G! Makes me sad.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

thehustler posted:

Did you see my photos link earlier in the thread? I got a bunch of photos of them last month and they were fantastic. I'm really getting into them.

Heh right below my post and I missed it. Are they energetic and everything you'd expect them to be? I've been blown away by a awful lot of UK bands lately. Yndi Halda and These Monsters need to get their asses across the pond. I was suppose to see Yndi a few months ago in Boston but they canceled their set after the opening band had already finished. Everyone was PISSED.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Why did they cancel? Sucks!

And yes, TM were awesome, they're very giddy, and sax guy (I wish I knew their names) seemed to be having an absolute blast!

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

CzarDestructo posted:

Heh right below my post and I missed it. Are they energetic and everything you'd expect them to be? I've been blown away by a awful lot of UK bands lately. Yndi Halda and These Monsters need to get their asses across the pond. I was suppose to see Yndi a few months ago in Boston but they canceled their set after the opening band had already finished. Everyone was PISSED.

I remember that. TTs should have handled it better by offering a slight discount or getting everyone a round. At the very least, they should have let Caspian play longer.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I don't know if I'm doing img-timeline here because I have no idea how many people in this thread are aware of it, but I just came across a really cool post-rock album, Laura's "Radio Swan Is Down".

A lot of post-rock makes me feel relaxed, but a lot of this stuff demands my full attention - sometimes it's just because there is beautiful guitar work, and sometimes it's just from being loud. It's a superb album.

Recommended track is "Numbers Stations" - that song blew me away, but I can't find it on Youtube. Here are 2 other songs on it that are very good:

"Every Light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmJDQDk5nM

"I Hope"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFDh6z9sE8

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 14, 2008

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

thehustler posted:

Why did they cancel? Sucks!

And yes, TM were awesome, they're very giddy, and sax guy (I wish I knew their names) seemed to be having an absolute blast!

Got lost or some poo poo. I just remember it being an awful excuse.

I was just thinking. What would happen if the guys from Yndi Halda, Pirate Ship Quintet and These Monsters got together and made a joint EP. I'm thinking similar to the Small Brown Bike & Casket Lottery EP were both groups blended and worked together to create a temporary hybrid band (although it actually ended up working out well and is a full time band now sorta). Man that would be an epic sax/violin/cello/trumpet driven post rock wet dream...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's something: http://iamserio.us/2008/11/18/el-ten-eleven-video/

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I don't know if I'm doing img-timeline here because I have no idea how many people in this thread are aware of it, but I just came across a really cool post-rock album, Laura's "Radio Swan Is Down".

A lot of post-rock makes me feel relaxed, but a lot of this stuff demands my full attention - sometimes it's just because there is beautiful guitar work, and sometimes it's just from being loud. It's a superb album.

Recommended track is "Numbers Stations" - that song blew me away, but I can't find it on Youtube. Here are 2 other songs on it that are very good:

"Every Light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmJDQDk5nM

"I Hope"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFDh6z9sE8

Laura's great, and they're Australian so I should be able to see them fairly soon. Their new EP Yes Maybe No is cool as well, if you can track it down.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

On the 65dos messageboard there are links to a new session they did for BBC 6music (invited on by Johnny Marr).

A couple of new songs, and Radio Protector. They sound pretty cool. Roll on April!

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

science in motion posted:

I disagree. The dynamics of that album were phenomenal. It had a great warm/organic sound and they didn't overproduce the poo poo out of it. It didn't follow the generic rock 4/4 time signatures with loud and repetitive choruses that they seemed to rely upon throughout a lot of the earlier stuff. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The dynamics of the album has nothing to do with why I find it boring. I can listen to odd time signatures and whatever just fine - it's the "achingly beautiful" generic delay pedal post-rock sound that puts me to sleep. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty predictable and that every single song on the album sounds pretty much the same.

But yeah as you said different strokes for different folks. I don't hate the album or anything, I just don't really want to listen to it.

As far as I know, though, the album has been pretty influential among newer post-rock bands like Caspian, so props for that I guess.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://www.65kids.com/sessions/65daysofstatic - 01 - Untitled (Marc Riley Session).mp3
http://www.65kids.com/sessions/65daysofstatic - 02 - Piano Fights (Marc Riley Session).mp3

Now with links!

Edit: Now with working links!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 19, 2008

Peteee
Mar 24, 2007
Lives inside a 4 dimensional rhombus
New Samuel Jackson Five album out called Goodbye Melody Mountain.

Just listening now. It's different.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Peteee posted:

New Samuel Jackson Five album out called Goodbye Melody Mountain.

Just listening now. It's different.

I love love love this album, but I've never heard their other albums. How does it compare/contrast with their other albums? I'll do my own research of course but if anyone wants to step in, please do

Peteee
Mar 24, 2007
Lives inside a 4 dimensional rhombus

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I love love love this album, but I've never heard their other albums. How does it compare/contrast with their other albums? I'll do my own research of course but if anyone wants to step in, please do

I've only listened to Easily Misunderstood, and I'd say thats one of my favourite albums.

Michael Collins Autograph is superb.

I'd say its much more up-tempo and guitar driven then the new album.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

CzarDestructo posted:

I guess maybe you're right, more slow blues-ish guitar now that I think about it. For whatever reason I have Sharks Keep Moving and American Football pinned in my head as post-rock because I started getting into them around the same time I started getting into Mogwai and the beginnings of EiTS. Ah well, half the fun is arguing about what is or isn't post-rock.

And holy poo poo I always enjoyed Sharks Keep Moving and never bothered to notice the correlations with Minus the Bear. No wonder I like Minus so much...

Blues-ish? Surely you have blues confused with free jazz. American Football more math-rock also, but at that point who really cares.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
NEW MONO ALBUM ANNOUNCED

Just found this on Mono's myspace.

March 04 2009
HYMN TO THE IMMORTAL WIND

http://www.mono-jpn.com/hymn_flash/index.html
http://www.mono-jpn.com/sound/Ashes.mp3 --new track "Ashes in the Snow"

quote:

Just in time for their 10-year anniversary, MONO return with their fifth studio album, the absolutely massive Hymn To The Immortal Wind.

After touring almost non-stop for five years, the band hibernated for over a year to focus solely on writing Hymn. The result is their most thoughtful and eclectic album to date. Written and arranged with a hopeful, romantic narrative in mind, the songs string together like chapters in an epic love story. The music is naturally majestic, with MONO’s trademark wall of noise crashing beautifully against the largest chamber orchestra the band has ever enlisted. The instrumentation is vast, incorporating strings, flutes, organ, piano, glockenspiel and tympani into their standard face-melting set-up.

Recorded to analog tape with long-time friend and producer Steve Albini, there is an intimacy captured here that is at once beautiful and a little terrifying. The creaking of old wooden chairs as the orchestra rocks in their seats (both literally and figuratively), puckered lips rolling along flutes, and even the conductor’s opening cue can be heard during the hauntingly quiet opening moments

While Hymn continues to mine the cinematic drama inherent in all of MONO's music, the dynamic shifts now come more from dark-to-light instead of quiet-to-loud. The maturity to balance these elements so masterfully has become MONO’s strongest virtue.

Jeremy deVine _Temporary Residence Limited

I know this was a long time coming, but they've finally announced their album release! I went to their last show in KL. It was a small, cold and dark room with a couple hundred or so of us and it was truly one of the best gigs in my life. They played two new songs, one of which I think was Ashes in the Snow, which really is the most intense song I've ever heard from them. They're one of the bands that you absolutely have to hear live to fully appreciate the breadth of their music.

Beleg fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 2, 2009

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

Beleg posted:

March 04 2009
HYMN TO THE IMMORTAL WIND

http://www.mono-jpn.com/hymn_flash/index.html
http://www.mono-jpn.com/sound/Ashes.mp3 --new track "Ashes in the Snow"

That was awesome.

This thread has the potential to make me dangerously broke. Thanks to everyone who's posted bands here, I've found some new sounds I hadn't heard before. I started listening to post-rock through GY!BE and then EitS, but I wanted to add something heavier to my mix so thanks, you guys, for pointing me to Russian Circles and North.

I'm really curious about the new Samuel Jackson Five album. I was blown away by Easily Misunderstood (and underwhelmed by 'Same Same, But Different' in comparison -- it was alright but nothing stood out to me), so I've been looking forward to new material from them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That Mono song is loving boss.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Beleg posted:

I know this was a long time coming, but they've finally announced their album release! I went to their last show in KL. It was a small, cold and dark room with a couple hundred or so of us and it was truly one of the best gigs in my life. They played two new songs, one of which I think was Ashes in the Snow, which really is the most intense song I've ever heard from them. They're one of the bands that you absolutely have to hear live to fully appreciate the breadth of their music.

I saw them in Birmingham (UK), co-headlining with Jesu, with Mothertrucker opening. There was only maybe 100 people there and Jesu was abysmal, but it was the best gig I've ever been to, nothing comes close to seeing Yearning live. They played another new song at that gig too, but I can't remember much of it, other than it wasn't Ashes in the Snow.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Beware of Safety was mentioned once before in this thread but didn't seem to really receive any attention. I just picked up both of their albums and I must say they are really good. They don't do anything that sounds all too different from your typical post-rock, but it's definitely a bit harder than most, a la Russian Circles. I like it mucho.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

joelcamefalling posted:

A few things I have recently discovered and think you should all listen to after you finish bitching about the new TWDY cover (which, for the record, loving rules):

Angel Eyes - ...and for A Roof A Sky Full of Stars EP
Two songs, 27 minutes of heavy epic awesomness with about 4 lines of growled vocals that perfectly complement the music.

Plus the most kickass cover seen in a while.

listen to: One

Rise from the dead, postrock thread!

Angel Eyes, the best heavy postrock band in the drat world, have a new split out. They do one 18 minute song, and it is loving amazing.

I have had this track on repeat for about 2 weeks. Havent even listened to the other band, which is some kind of harddcore i think. If you liked their EP (which you should have), or anything heavy and kickass, it is definitely what you want.

Track it down or else.

http://www.concubinerecords.com/

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 13, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Anybody in the north UK, get over to Barrow on the 28th of February!
We've managed to get 65daysofstatic to headline a media and arts event, The Van der Waals Attraction.
65daysofstatic will be playing, along with These Monsters and a load of art and video showcases. Best of all, it's only £6!

Tickets are here. I hope this doesn't seem too much like an advert. I am helping promote it, but I figured some guys might be interested if you live in the UK. We don't often get good post-rock gigs up north, and 65dos are my favourite band by far.

They have a new remix up too, on Calvinballs Myspace

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anybody in the north UK, get over to Barrow on the 28th of February!
We've managed to get 65daysofstatic to headline a media and arts event, The Van der Waals Attraction.
65daysofstatic will be playing, along with These Monsters and a load of art and video showcases. Best of all, it's only £6!

Tickets are here. I hope this doesn't seem too much like an advert. I am helping promote it, but I figured some guys might be interested if you live in the UK. We don't often get good post-rock gigs up north, and 65dos are my favourite band by far.

They have a new remix up too, on Calvinballs Myspace

Oh, you're involved in that?

I'm very tempted to go, I love both 65dos (obviously) and These Monsters.

Not too keen on Calvinball, to be honest.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I"m just helping promote it and helping out on the day. It'll be great if you can come! :) Bring others too.

I'm not a massive fan of the remix. It's not 65's best work.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I"m just helping promote it and helping out on the day. It'll be great if you can come! :) Bring others too.

I'm not a massive fan of the remix. It's not 65's best work.

No, it's really not. Shame, really.

I will try and sort something out. I'm in Blackpool so it's not exactly local, though. I do have a friend who has parents in Milnthorpe so maybe we can crash there if he comes with me.

Also, that new Angel Eyes track is STUNNING.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I am new to Post Rock, and have only heard an album from 65DoS, God is an Astranaut and Fen (Black Metal/Post-Rock).

I enjoy Agalloch a lot, as I am a metal fan, and I've been wanting to get into Post-Rock a lot moreso lately.

Can you give me recommendations of the most classic Post-Rock albums ever, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

I'm sure some will bicker or disagree but this is my take on the big post-rock albums, leaning more toward metal.

Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who...
Mono - Under The Pipal Tree (this album is loving amazing)
Slint - Spiderland
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn

For not so classic but more metal check out Isis, Pelican and Red Sparrowes.