Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Motorcycles are like cocaine.

an ex250 is too much

A Hayabusa is never enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

QnoisX posted:

Just finished applying some rim tape to my bike. Anyone have any issues with this stuff peeling off while you're riding down the road? It shouldn't, but I just wondered if I should be worried. Oh and here's a pic!

Click here for the full 604x368 image.

That's my dad. He helped hold it up straight and rolled it back and forth for me to make it easier to apply the tape.

I had tapeworks rimtape on my GSXR, and just for kicks one day I tried to peel a bit off to see how well it stuck on.

It was pretty much completely bonded to the wheel. I wouldnt worry about it falling off. If you applied it on a clean wheel, it will be fine.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there anything extremely expensive or hard to fix with this bike? Seems too good to pass up

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/953760517.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think those bikes had cam issues, but someone more knowledgeable about VFR's will have to chime in here.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

moist turtleneck posted:

Is there anything extremely expensive or hard to fix with this bike? Seems too good to pass up

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/953760517.html

That looks like a really, really fair asking price for one of those, especially considering the mileage and apparent condition. I fixed one up for a friend for his first bike, and although it does have a maddening amount of unnecessary complexity - yay superfluous fuel pump, hydraulic clutch and pneumatic suspension - I didn't find it all too troublesome to work on. A valve adjustment was actually easier than it was on my ZR-7S, by virtue of the adjustments being done with a nut and threaded perch, rather than shims. The main problem I had getting it going was finally traced back to a faulty petcock, and once that was sorted, it started and ran reasonably well, despite the fact that two of the exhaust valves weren't opening or closing :v: Carbs for that bike are retardedly expensive, though, so if you're really concerned, I'd see if you could take it to a mechanic for a PPI, or take along someone who knows more about carbs than you do, just to make sure that it's a matter of adjustment, rather than something necessitating a new set (or rebuild).

I've heard of problems with cams, but the bike I fixed up had 75,000km on the clock and was still on its original set, so...... go for it.

Edit: Whale tails kick rear end.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
For what it's worth I was a heartbeat away from jumping on this deal
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/899940173.html
a few weeks ago; however after reading up a bit on vfrworld, apparently some of the parts are starting to get really hard to find. They look awesome though, esp. in the tricolor scheme.

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music
Hey guys, sorry if this was already asked. I skimmed but I may have missed something.

I have a 08 V-star 250 with low mileage that I got over the summer, but I go to school a couple hundred miles away and I haven't been able to ride it all semester (Total bummer.)
I leave for winter break on tuesday and I was wondering if there is anything I should check on the bike or do to A) Get it winter-ready and B) Make sure it works because it's been sitting in my parent's basement for three months.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Very basic question: when I release the throttle, should it go back to closed just from spring tension, or should it take a slight movement on my part to move it from open to closed?

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Very basic question: when I release the throttle, should it go back to closed just from spring tension, or should it take a slight movement on my part to move it from open to closed?

It should roll off by itself when released. Sounds like your throttle needs to be adjusted, else the cable may be stretched out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

It should roll off by itself when released. Sounds like your throttle needs to be adjusted, else the cable may be stretched out.

Also possible that it just needs to be lubed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

It should SNAP shut. Not "slowly" not "after a while" it should SNAP shut. If it does not, you need to figure out what's wrong. If it's to the point it's sticking, I'd replace the cable entirely. Slow/no return was the symptom of a frayed cable on my 1980 GS550.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

It should SNAP shut. Not "slowly" not "after a while" it should SNAP shut. If it does not, you need to figure out what's wrong. If it's to the point it's sticking, I'd replace the cable entirely. Slow/no return was the symptom of a frayed cable on my 1980 GS550.

Just to add a bit here for people who are wondering how to deal with this:

There are 4 reasons that your throttle could be not returning:

1. Damaged or unlubed cable.
2. Cable's routed wrong and is pinching/sticking.
3. Grime under the handlebar.
4. Carbs aren't snapping shut.

They're listed in order from most common in my experience to least common.

Obviously, a damaged or unlubed cable is fixed by replacing or lubing it. Pinching is best tested for by getting the carbs hooked up to the throttle, checking that it closes, and then adding parts until it sticks. Grime under the handlebar should be cleaned. If the carbs aren't snapping shut, chances are they're caught up on something, so get down there and manually open and close the butterflies until you have some idea of what is going on/what they're hanging on.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have a 2006 Honda VTR250, it runs perfectly and I am extremely happy with it (first bike). However, I noticed today that the small fan behind the radiator doesn't spin. Not sure what it does at speed, but when it was idling at a stop, the fan was not spinning at all. The temp gauge was right in the middle after about a 15 minute commute back from work. Is this normal? Does the fan only kick in when the temperature starts to get higher?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vidaeus posted:

Does the fan only kick in when the temperature starts to get higher?

Yup! Which is a good thing since it saves electrical load and keeps the engine in the proper temp range.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fan on all the liquid cooled bikes I've owned didnt kick in until they were really hot (idling for a while, or in stop and go traffic)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

I have a 2006 Honda VTR250, it runs perfectly and I am extremely happy with it (first bike). However, I noticed today that the small fan behind the radiator doesn't spin. Not sure what it does at speed, but when it was idling at a stop, the fan was not spinning at all. The temp gauge was right in the middle after about a 15 minute commute back from work. Is this normal? Does the fan only kick in when the temperature starts to get higher?

Check your coolant level, but it's only supposed to spin when it gets really hot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
unless it's a buell, in which case it's on all the time, and is so loud you can't hear approaching fire trucks.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, they have to catch you to put you out, right? :supaburn:

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Yeah, I thought that was the case with the fan. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

unless it's a buell, in which case it's on all the time, and is so loud you can't hear approaching fire trucks.

The lone Buell rider at work... that drat fan stays on even after she shuts the bike down. And you're right, it is absurdly loud... what a silly design.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What a silly motor.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

:words: about cleaning a moped exhaust

Everyone's skipped over the most logical way to clean it. Fire! A little gasoline in the exhaust, a little starting fluid to get the fire going, and you get a clean exhaust.

Video

Nero's moped now runs great. The leftover gasoline was frighteningly black.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I just picked up a CBR F3, and lo and behold a few days later I realized the light is getting weaker, and gets brighter when revved. A few blocks away from home on the way back from work the bike died idling waiting for a light to turn. Now it clicks, tries to turn over, and won't start. I push started it, it ran for a bit, then died idling.

My friend says he'd bet money it's the alternator, but I don't want to buy a new one if that won't solve the problem. Would a bad rec/reg unit cause it to die at idle like that? It happened too fast for it to just be an old battery, I ran the bike fine every day since I got it and kept the revs high enough that it should have charged. I know I need to solve that before replacing the battery, but do I absolutely need a new battery or could I charge it and use it once the alternator problem is solved?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

How can I tell what type of brake fluid I have in my bike?

I generally replace all of the fluids when I get a new bike but am cautious about the GS.
Going by what the rest of everything looked like, and backed up by the really stuck screws on the lid of the MC, the bike hasn't been serviced in forever yet the brake fluid is clear/very light amber.
In most older bikes I've worked on it's a disgusting milkshake looking mess that is easy to see as contaminated DOT 3 or 4. I don't want to go putting 3 or 4 in there if it's got silicone in it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lawn posted:

I just picked up a CBR F3, and lo and behold a few days later I realized the light is getting weaker, and gets brighter when revved. A few blocks away from home on the way back from work the bike died idling waiting for a light to turn. Now it clicks, tries to turn over, and won't start. I push started it, it ran for a bit, then died idling.

My friend says he'd bet money it's the alternator, but I don't want to buy a new one if that won't solve the problem. Would a bad rec/reg unit cause it to die at idle like that? It happened too fast for it to just be an old battery, I ran the bike fine every day since I got it and kept the revs high enough that it should have charged. I know I need to solve that before replacing the battery, but do I absolutely need a new battery or could I charge it and use it once the alternator problem is solved?

Bikes have a stator/rotor to produce AC current and then have a regulator/rectifier to turn it to DC current. Chances are your r/r is fried or a connection somewhere got hosed. What you need to do is check that the battery is getting around 14v with the bike on and reved to around 1/3rd of overall RPM or 3k, whichever is higher. If it's spiking or low, your r/r, stator or wiring is hosed. If you're getting consistant AC voltage (around 40v) when you check the 3 wires coming off the stator against one another, then you need to replace the r/r or check for damaged wiring somewhere in the loop. For clarity: You should see around 40v AC off the regulator, into the rectifier, and then 14v out of the rectifier (when reved) to the battery. Anything besides that means either a part replacement or a damaged wire/connector.

Stators almost never die, it's almost always the regulator or broken/shoddy wiring/connectors. Hondas are notorious for it.

You'll probably need a new battery too, but it may recover with a good charge and fixing the initial problem quickly. Make sure it's topped off, if it's not the maintenence free type.

Bugdrvr, almost every modern bike uses DOT 4. Harleys are an exception. Your GS is not. It should be printed on the reservoir, in the manual, and in the service manual. It does use DOT4 though.

If it's light and clear, and you get good feedback and resistance from the bar, it's fine.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 17, 2008

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
What about if the voltage doesn't increase at all when reved/on? I'll still check the r/r... I found a good pictorial guide for my bike (http://cbrworld.net/forums/post/140473.aspx) so I'll test that out, but right now it's raining and I have no garage. If reving isn't increasing the voltage at all could it still be the r/r?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lawn posted:

What about if the voltage doesn't increase at all when reved/on? I'll still check the r/r... I found a good pictorial guide for my bike (http://cbrworld.net/forums/post/140473.aspx) so I'll test that out, but right now it's raining and I have no garage. If reving isn't increasing the voltage at all could it still be the r/r?

I don't like trusting resistances at the coil because it doesn't always reflect how the bike is behaving when it's running. Testing ECUs led to a distate of anything like that.

If the voltage doesn't increase when it's reved, it can still be the R/R.

Basically: If it doesn't increase, there's a problem with your charging system. If it increases too much, there's a problem with your charging system. If it's just right, then your battery is dead.

If you're getting good voltage out of the Stator, it's the R/R. If you're getting poo poo voltage out of the stator, it's the stator. There's only 3 parts to these systems.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Is there a name for the things that are... well, they're sort of like gas I.V.s for running carbed bikes with the fuel tank off. It's just an elevated container of gasoline with x lines running to the carbs. I know I've seen them before, but I can't find them now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

Is there a name for the things that are... well, they're sort of like gas I.V.s for running carbed bikes with the fuel tank off. It's just an elevated container of gasoline with x lines running to the carbs. I know I've seen them before, but I can't find them now.

A slave tank? I've never seen one sold, I've always just used rigged up soda bottles and poo poo.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

rope kid posted:

I use a gas tank off of an old snowmobile I bought from a yard sale. It looks like a slightly overgrown soup can with a gas cap on top and a nipple on the bottom.
I just bungee it to something higher than the carbs. It works great and only cost $3.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bugdrvr posted:

I use a gas tank off of an old snowmobile I bought from a yard sale. It looks like a slightly overgrown soup can with a gas cap on top and a nipple on the bottom.
I just bungee it to something higher than the carbs. It works great and only cost $3.

I use the tank off my snowblower:

If you really want to buy one JCWhitney sells them here:
http://tinyurl.com/4ozs5g

but they're pretty expensive for what you get.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
All you need is a 20oz cola bottle and surgical tubing. Fasten the bottle above the bike and run the tube straight to the fuel input. Start a siphon. Also remember to block up vacuum hoses so it runs right.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

:science:

Punch a hole somewhere in the bottle. Trust me on this one. :downs:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
You can also be really quick about using a turkey baster filled with fuel to keep the fuel line filled.

Really quick.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
I bought a battery for my bike a month ago and it has sat in the box on the floor of my room since then, as I usually just kickstart the bike. I don't have a trickle charger. Can I put the battery in and just use the kickstart and ride around for a bit to charge it, or do I need to buy a charger and charge it fully before putting it in?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You "should" charge it. Bikes live on the edge of killing batteries. Typically below 3000rpm they're discharging the battery. So your battery may never charge. Spend the $20 on a charger, you won't regret it.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Nerobro posted:

You "should" charge it. Bikes live on the edge of killing batteries. Typically below 3000rpm they're discharging the battery. So your battery may never charge. Spend the $20 on a charger, you won't regret it.
My buddy has a car battery charger that will do 2 amps, can I use that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
2A is a bit powerful for a bike battery so don't leave it charging for too long. (couple hours?)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

rope kid posted:

i used a syringe a few times, now i have a tank off an old genny-welder that has a handy petcock on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Anybody had a chance to ride Aprilia's new Dorosduro yet? Apparently took fifth at Pike's Peak and from what I've gathered from the reviews, an extremely friendly and fun bike with a surprisingly comfy seat. Looks to cost around $9600. You get a 750cc 90 degree V-twin with 92hp and gobs of torque pretty low in the rev range.

Click here for the full 800x654 image.

Click here for the full 450x672 image.

Aprilia USA link
http://preview.tinyurl.com/47wrl4