Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

hexadecimal posted:

I have been working on this since September. The voice is not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGJP5QuM4s

This is UNIX!!! I know this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is UNIX!!! I know this!!

Explain please.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

hexadecimal posted:

Explain please.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tbis_jurassic-park-unix-system-scene_tech

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Eclipse and Second Life: a match made in heaven.

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

Scaevolus posted:

Eclipse and Second Life: a match made in heaven.

I hate Second Life, I would have just made my own viewer, but I was made to use SL :(

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hexadecimal posted:

I hate Second Life, I would have just made my own viewer, but I was made to use SL :(

You have my pity.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
You should post that thing on thedailywtf, since seriously, it is worse than failure. :/

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Mithaldu posted:

You should post that thing on thedailywtf, since seriously, it is worse than failure. :/
Haha seriously. Fish and smoke on the building tops...you should have little animations of planes crashing into the pillars when there's a merge conflict. Now that would improve productivity.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

hexadecimal posted:

Explain please.

You don't know that quote? Seriously?

:corsair:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I didn't know either. Not everyone here was old enough at that time to care enough to memorize lines from a crappy horror movie and i'm not even the youngest myself anymore.

So all the parts of the script that are poo poo (i would probably run out of fingers pointing out the ones in the short clip linked above) are actually meant to be a subtle sort of humor or what?
vvvv

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 5, 2008

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Jurassic Park isn't crappy you heathen!

Edit: it spared no expense

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 24, 2020

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hexadecimal posted:

Explain please.

heyo http://factormystic.net/sa/fsn/

hexadecimal, I have decided NOT to endorse your program

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

Factor Mystic posted:

heyo http://factormystic.net/sa/fsn/

hexadecimal, I have decided NOT to endorse your program

What am I looking at here?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

I didn't know either. Not everyone here was old enough at that time to care enough to memorize lines from a crappy horror movie and i'm not even the youngest myself anymore.

So all the parts of the script that are poo poo (i would probably run out of fingers pointing out the ones in the short clip linked above) are actually meant to be a subtle sort of humor or what?
vvvv

Do you have Alzheimer's or something? If you honestly can't recall one of the more memorable lines from one of the higest-grossing films of the last century, which caused a revolution in movie CG, then I just don't know what to say.

Also, I think I need to reemphasize the fact that this movie has goddamn dinosaurs in it.

EDIT: And DODGSON!!!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Avenging Dentist posted:

EDIT: And DODGSON!!!

It kills me to this day when Wayne Knight pops out the cryo-cannister and squeals like a pig.

Actually, Wayne Knight in general cracks me up.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Do you have Alzheimer's or something?
1. I watched it in german.
2. I was 12.
3. Building robots out of lego was a lot more amazing than some fake long-dead reptiles.
4. The horribleness of the script isn't made up for by CG.
5. I'd already seen Star Wars at the time.

Anyhow, to contribute to the thread, even if the video is a bit older and a bunch of goons have already seen it: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16314761MGwKDQR7

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 5, 2008

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

Mithaldu posted:

1. I watched it in german.
2. I was 12.
3. Building robots out of lego was a lot more amazing than some fake long-dead reptiles.
4. The horribleness of the script isn't made up for by CG.
5. I'd already seen Star Wars at the time.

Anyhow, to contribute to the thread, even if the video is a bit older and a bunch of goons have already seen it: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16314761MGwKDQR7

Omg its worse than fail!!!! What is dwarf fortress anyway and why are you visualizing it?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

hexadecimal posted:

Omg its worse than fail!!!! What is dwarf fortress anyway and why are you visualizing it?

quote:

What the gently caress is this

- csammis, asking hexadecimal what the gently caress this is, this being his reply to Mithaldu

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

hexadecimal posted:

Hey man let me help you out

Maybe you deserve to spend grad school visualising source control in Second Life

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

hexadecimal posted:

Hey man, i'm not knocking your efforts. I've done some work in Second Life too (created some artificial life stuff) and i respect you getting that poo poo to work in any case. My "Worse Than Failure" comment was in regard to someone above ou forcing you to do it and probably thinking it was a good idea. (Oh, ps, cut the childish and meme stuff. No need for 4chan speak here and 1 exclamation mark is enough for everyone. Just makes you look stupid, yanno?)

Anyhow, Dwarf Fortress is a rogue-like strategy/god game which has game content in 3 dimensions. The creator is too busy creating a good interface for it, as he is creating possibilities for dwarven beard growth right now. As such i sat down and created this, inspired by an earlier static effort, in order to punch through the accessibility problems the game has.

Also, it's blazing fast and looks nice. Newer versions than the one featured in the video are fast, that is. As of now this thing can update ~40000 discrete data sets within 2 seconds.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 6, 2008

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
That's a well done project, but your intonation in that video is grating, like everything is a question.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

If you meant my video, that may be an artifact of english not being my primary language. While i have a great amount of experience in text, i am incredibly self-conscious while actually talking english and especially in this video since it was my first audience-less presentation and unplanned to boot.

Thanks for the feedback in any case, it's rare that i get useful comments. :)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Just a little app to cycle automatically through wallpapers.

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

I am crudely hacking out a raytracer in python. It can do spheres, and lights. That's it. I'm doing all of the math myself, no third party stuff except "math" (That means that it is really slow)

Click here for the full 1000x1000 image.

It was much easier than I thought it would be.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Click for Full.

Got it completely working and made a quick installer. I wanted to do a couple quick projects with my winter break and it looks like I already got a decent start.

Now I need to figure out a new project to occupy my time for the rest of break.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Battle Bott posted:

I am crudely hacking out a raytracer in python. It can do spheres, and lights. That's it. I'm doing all of the math myself, no third party stuff except "math" (That means that it is really slow)

Click here for the full 1000x1000 image.

It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Thats amazing. Are you planning on sharing your source with anyone? I've always wanted to write my own raytracer but I've been daunted by how much work it seems to be.. would you be able to drop in some C extension code when youre finished to speed up the computationally intensive stuff? Can I see (pretty please!)

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

tripwire posted:

Thats amazing. Are you planning on sharing your source with anyone? I've always wanted to write my own raytracer but I've been daunted by how much work it seems to be.. would you be able to drop in some C extension code when youre finished to speed up the computationally intensive stuff? Can I see (pretty please!)

Sure. The code is ugly, and I don't really know python that well, but it seems to mostly work. Let me fix the currently broken coloring system, then I'll upload what I have.

Up next, polygons!

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

tripwire posted:

The ray-tracing algorithm is incredibly simple. Writing a simple ray-tracer can be done in less than 100 lines of code. Making it fast is the hard thing.

If you want to learn ray-tracing and be taken through all the steps to write a fully featured one, buy the PBRT book or just grab the guy's source code.

http://www.pbrt.org/

jonnii
Dec 29, 2002
god dances in the face of the jews
Me and a guy from my job have been working on a game for the iPhone called vConqr (previous Virtual Conquest). I've been working on the new website (https://www.vconqr.com) and some of the new game features, specifically downloadable maps and online play.

It has been really interesting working with the iPhone. I come from a C# background and it has taken a while, but I've really grown to like obj-c with all it's [[[]]] goodness.

We just submitted a new version to the app store which fixes a lot of complaints with the previous version, it's great to be able to make something which people play, instead of mindless bank software...

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

Zakalwe posted:

The ray-tracing algorithm is incredibly simple. Writing a simple ray-tracer can be done in less than 100 lines of code. Making it fast is the hard thing.

If you want to learn ray-tracing and be taken through all the steps to write a fully featured one, buy the PBRT book or just grab the guy's source code.

http://www.pbrt.org/

Yes! It is much easier than it looks, but there are a billion little ways to make it go fast. I just want to make it go right now, I don't care about speed. I'll share my code, but it would be better to look at a well designed one.

Uploaded:
http://bottlabs.org/dl/battlebott/Raytracer1.tar.gz

(I hope it works)
No documentation whatsoever, sorry.

Battle Bott fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 17, 2008

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

jonnii posted:

Who did the art? How'd they do it? It looks really nice.

jonnii
Dec 29, 2002

SkankerX posted:

Who did the art? How'd they do it? It looks really nice.

The map is just an image, which was created by my partner's wife who is a graphic designer, the effects are all done dynamically.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Battle Bott posted:

Yes! It is much easier than it looks, but there are a billion little ways to make it go fast. I just want to make it go right now, I don't care about speed. I'll share my code, but it would be better to look at a well designed one.

Uploaded:
http://bottlabs.org/dl/battlebott/Raytracer1.tar.gz

(I hope it works)
No documentation whatsoever, sorry.

Thanks (and Zakalwe too!)
I'm going through this and the PBR guys' code now :)

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

jonnii posted:

Me and a guy from my job have been working on a game for the iPhone called vConqr (previous Virtual Conquest). I've been working on the new website (https://www.vconqr.com) and some of the new game features, specifically downloadable maps and online play.

It has been really interesting working with the iPhone. I come from a C# background and it has taken a while, but I've really grown to like obj-c with all it's [[[]]] goodness.

We just submitted a new version to the app store which fixes a lot of complaints with the previous version, it's great to be able to make something which people play, instead of mindless bank software...

Just bought... Looks sweet

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches

jonnii posted:

The map is just an image, which was created by my partner's wife who is a graphic designer, the effects are all done dynamically.

So, I presume that you can just touch a country to select it? How did you do boundary checking? Was it just ad-hoc (Ural is in this polygon, Western United States is in this polygon, etc.), or was it some kind of procedural method (graphically detect where borders are, create a polygon that represents that border).

I'm working on my own collision detection system, and I'm just brushing up on octrees. The system is still quite in its infancy, but I thought I'd show you a picture nonetheless.

Edit: (kind of a crosspost from the data structures thread)

ih8ualot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 18, 2008

jonnii
Dec 29, 2002

ATLbeer posted:

Just bought... Looks sweet

Thanks for buying! The version you just bought is the old version, we just submitted the new version to the app store yesterday, so it should be live in a few days. It's much much improved...!

quote:

So, I presume that you can just touch a country to select it? How did you do boundary checking? Was it just ad-hoc (Ural is in this polygon, Western United States is in this polygon, etc.), or was it some kind of procedural method (graphically detect where borders are, create a polygon that represents that border).

You just touch to select and attack. We have a list of polygons that represent the hit zones and we do a bounds check to see which territory you selected.

EDIT: The new version has just gone live into the app store!

jonnii fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 18, 2008

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget
I'm working on an ACDSee clone for OS X to teach myself Cocoa programming. It's my first serious Cocoa app. I'm impressed at how easy it is. I'm really liking Objective-C. Anybody want to hire a Mac programmer? I can't go back to MFC.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

FigBug posted:

I'm working on an ACDSee clone for OS X to teach myself Cocoa programming. It's my first serious Cocoa app. I'm impressed at how easy it is. I'm really liking Objective-C. Anybody want to hire a Mac programmer? I can't go back to MFC.

Thats the depressing thing. I love ObjC an Cocoa , but damned if I've *never* seen a job advertised looking for a mac coder. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Here are two images i made in one of my old raytracers. I'm rejigging it to be actually nice and incorporate all the new coding stuff / performance i know since I wrote it originally (about 2 years ago).

Other then this I'm working on an iPhone turn based strat game (writing an editor atm). I'm not a massive fan on Obj-C so far, but it's not that bad I guess.