Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hooollllyyyy gently caress! That looks like a good time...

Hmm.. wonder what the trade in value of my DRZ is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Terminus Est posted:

Anybody had a chance to ride Aprilia's new Dorosduro yet?
Aprilia USA link
http://preview.tinyurl.com/47wrl4

I'd rather have one of the SXV 5.5 -- 549cc water-cooled 77* v-twin with EFI making 65.9 rwhp. Weighs only 270lbs (dry).

I wonder what the maintenance requirements are like compared to the other street-legal euro sumos.

The "hypermotards" that are more like sporty standards don't count in this comparison. I'm talking the 450-550cc Euros like the Husky 510/610, and the KTMs. One that are a dirtbike based.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

goku chewbacca posted:

I'd rather have one of the SXV 5.5 -- 549cc water-cooled 77* v-twin with EFI making 65.9 rwhp. Weighs only 270lbs (dry).

I wonder what the maintenance requirements are like compared to the other street-legal euro sumos.

The "hypermotards" that are more like sporty standards don't count in this comparison. I'm talking the 450-550cc Euros like the Husky 510/610, and the KTMs. One that are a dirtbike based.

Those SXV's have an engine rebuild schedule that is ridiculous, something approaching 30 hours. Oil after every ride, valves every few hours. Screw that. The Husqvarnas and KTMs are better, but they still require too much maintenance to be used on the street. They're race bikes with blinkers.

The Husqvarna 610 and KTM 640/690 are different. They're designed for street use with longer service intervals and more oil capacity.

The Dorsoduro gets me all hot and bothered by the idea of long travel suspension and a by all accounts beautiful 750cc 90* twin engine. I think urban assault vehicle and weekend hooligan machine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Terminus Est posted:

The Dorsoduro gets me all hot and bothered by the idea of long travel suspension and a by all accounts beautiful 750cc 90* twin engine. I think urban assault vehicle and weekend hooligan machine.

It's a poor man's delirio, and the SV is a poor man's Dorsoduro.

I want to punch out the SV to a 750 so badly, and turn it into a lightweight hypermoto type concept.

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
How big of a problem is it to leave a bike outside uncovered in rain/snow? My bike already has rust on it, so I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics. Is there anything that could be potentially screwed up by leaving it out in the rain? Maybe rusty brake rotors?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Go look at the picture I posted in the "putting the bike away is for sissies" thread. That is where and how my bike will sit until springtime, and I've been doing that for 10 years now. I am a bad bike mom, but the CB doesn't mind and other than the seat I've had no problems.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
My DRZ SM is leaking gas. It seems to be coming out around the carb but I can't place any particular spot that it's leaking.

I brought it in the house and tapped the bowl a lot thinking it was a stuck float. That stopped the leaking but as soon as I took it outside and started it for a little bit, the gas started leaking again.

Any ideas?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well, it stopped leaking because you have a vacuum petcock ;-) you likely have a dirty float valve. and or a failed float bowl gasket.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I want to put barend mirrors on my bike (turning it into a cafe racer with Clubman handlebars), but my grips aren't open at the end. Is it safe to cut off the end, so the handlebar is exposed, allowing the barend mirror to fasten in the opening? I think the barend mount is large enough to keep the grip in place.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
How hard is it to get loans for new bikes these days what with the economy and all? I've been considering buying a new one, and I don't exactly tote around 9,000 dollars off hand.

My credit score is in the high 600's (680 last I checked I think) and I make 30,000 a year. Any thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I want to put barend mirrors on my bike (turning it into a cafe racer with Clubman handlebars), but my grips aren't open at the end. Is it safe to cut off the end, so the handlebar is exposed, allowing the barend mirror to fasten in the opening? I think the barend mount is large enough to keep the grip in place.

Yes, it's fine.

Datsun, why buy new? It's a buyer's market for bikes right now used, and you can get some killer deals. Toys like bikes that can be destroyed in even a relatively minor accident shouldn't be financed.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Is there anywhere better to look online than craigslist? I never find many good deals on there, maybe I just don't look hard enough, but people seem to in general ask way too much for their bikes on those sorts of sites in my opinion.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes, they do. they're expecting someone to bargin.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
What do you guys do to deal with rust in tanks (this is on a moped, tank is integral part of frame and cannot be removed)? Some preliminary reading has pointed to getting some "Evapo-rust" from autozone, but I figured someone here has got to have some more useful information.

Thanks

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Well, it stopped leaking because you have a vacuum petcock ;-) you likely have a dirty float valve. and or a failed float bowl gasket.

I doubt its a dirty float as I cleaned it late in the summer (although the gas in there is a bit old). If it's a failed float bowl gasket how do I fix that?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bean_ posted:

What do you guys do to deal with rust in tanks (this is on a moped, tank is integral part of frame and cannot be removed)? Some preliminary reading has pointed to getting some "Evapo-rust" from autozone, but I figured someone here has got to have some more useful information.

Thanks

POR-15 has a good kit I've heard good things about. Since its part of the frame its going to be tricky to use it though, as I think you have to slosh it around for best effect.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=CTRK&dept=12

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

8ender posted:

POR-15 has a good kit I've heard good things about. Since its part of the frame its going to be tricky to use it though, as I think you have to slosh it around for best effect.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=CTRK&dept=12

Wrap a blanket around the moped, throw it in the back of a truck, do donuts around a dirt parking lot :D

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
My bike (Honda CB250N) is due for an oil change and I'm having trouble getting the oil drain plug loose. I tried the spanner, tried the breaker bar, but it doesn't budge.

Any ideas?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spartak posted:

My bike (Honda CB250N) is due for an oil change and I'm having trouble getting the oil drain plug loose. I tried the spanner, tried the breaker bar, but it doesn't budge.

Any ideas?

PB Blaster, or WD40 if you don't have that. It's not reverse thread for some reason, is it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

cmorrow001 posted:

I doubt its a dirty float as I cleaned it late in the summer (although the gas in there is a bit old). If it's a failed float bowl gasket how do I fix that?

I did NOT say it was a dirty float. I said dirty float valve. :-) The needle that shuts off the fuel flow likely needs to be cleaned, as well as it's seat. Unless you have downdraft carbs, float bowl gaskets are non-critical, and don't matter if they leak. Unless your float valve isn't shutting off fuel flow.

As for the moped tanks, shaking the tank isn't that hard. The whole frame is only 20lbs or so. You do need to strip the frame to do it though. That's another reason to do the electrolytic method. Por-15 bugs me, and should only be used if you have a hole in your tank.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 21, 2008

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Does anyone know anything about the Triumph line of cruisers? I'm looking to pick up a medium sized cruiser, but really don't know anything about the reliability or quality of the Triumph ones, nor how expensive parts and such are.

I live in NC, in a town that is definately chock full of HDs. We just had a Triumph dealer move in, and no one around here seems to know much about Triumphs other than that 'parts are expensive'. Of course the dealer says they are God's gift to motorcycling, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with them?

I'm specifically thinking of the America, Speedmaster and the new Thunderbird coming out in mid '09. The Rocket is a lil more than I care to deal with at this time.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Krakkles posted:

Wrap a blanket around the moped, throw it in the back of a truck, do donuts around a dirt parking lot :D

I was going to say tip it side to side but that certainly works as well.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Krakkles posted:

PB Blaster, or WD40 if you don't have that. It's not reverse thread for some reason, is it?

WD40 does the trick!

Mao posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Triumph line of cruisers? I'm looking to pick up a medium sized cruiser, but really don't know anything about the reliability or quality of the Triumph ones, nor how expensive parts and such are.

The America and Speedmaster use the Bonnie powerplant, and from what I can gather (according to Classic Bike magazine) its pretty drat reliable, though the cam chain may need replacing after 40k miles. Classic Bike also reckon the engine is good for 80k miles plus.

Have you given the Bonneville much thought? With a standard I think you get the best of both worlds - comfortable riding position and a good view of the traffic around you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mao posted:

I live in NC, in a town that is definately chock full of HDs. We just had a Triumph dealer move in, and no one around here seems to know much about Triumphs other than that 'parts are expensive'. Of course the dealer says they are God's gift to motorcycling, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with them?

I'm specifically thinking of the America, Speedmaster and the new Thunderbird coming out in mid '09. The Rocket is a lil more than I care to deal with at this time.

All the modern triumphs tend to be very reliable with the correct care. That's pretty much true of all major bike brands bikes these days, really. Parts may be a little more expensive than usual, but eh, that's the price. I loved my triumph, it was a great bike, i just didn't have a reason to own it any more, so it got sold.

The brand tax sucks a bit, but something different is often like that. I'd go for it over a harley in a heartbeat, if that's what I was looking at.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I did NOT say it was a dirty float. I said dirty float valve. :-) The needle that shuts off the fuel flow likely needs to be cleaned, as well as it's seat. Unless you have downdraft carbs, float bowl gaskets are non-critical, and don't matter if they leak. Unless your float valve isn't shutting off fuel flow.

So a carb cleaning is in order? Since Its winter, can I put some gas stabilizer in and run it through the bike a while then just disconnect the petcock and let the bike die on its own leaving the carb empty for the winter so I can pull it out when its warm?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bean_ posted:

Thanks

I tried Evapo-rust on my moped, it didnt work at all. I've heard mixed reviews about the POR-15 rust removal kit.

The only way to really get the rust out reliably is with electrolysis: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

I've done this on a couple of tanks and its amazing. Completely de-rusted the tanks. And the best part about electrolysis is that it restores the metal by taking metal from the electrode, so the part doesnt thin out, which is especially important on tanks.

What kind of moped? I have a Puch Maxi Sport, and the tank is shaped so weir internally that its just about impossible to clean.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Kinetic TFR.

The Evapo-rust worked pretty well, but there's still a bit in there. I'm thinking of just going with an external tank, as it didn't cure all, and it ate away the petcock, anyways. -_-

I took my fuel line from the other (now working) TFR and it runs with the choke on, but not with the choke off. While we were cleaning the carb, we saw that the float wasn't level like it should be, so I'm thinking that's the issue. Guess I might be buying a new carb online.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Phat_Albert posted:

I've heard mixed reviews about the POR-15 rust removal kit.
is that the same as the tank coating kit? i've never heard mixed reviews about that, they're all positive. i've used it twice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

is that the same as the tank coating kit? i've never heard mixed reviews about that, they're all positive. i've used it twice.

The rust removal kit is separate, but often packaged with the tank coating kit.

The coating kit is phenominal, the rust removal kit isnt so great I've heard.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Phat_Albert posted:

The rust removal kit is separate, but often packaged with the tank coating kit.

The coating kit is phenominal, the rust removal kit isnt so great I've heard.

The rust removal works great, at least it did for me. You just have to be very patient and it does take a lot of time and agitation to do the job well. I think from start to finish I spent over a week doing the rust removal and the coating.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mao posted:

The America and Speedmaster are built around the same engine as the Bonneville, which is pretty reliable. The Thunderbird is going to be a brand-new bike, so compared to the America/Speedmaster it's going to be questionable.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Phat_Albert posted:

I tried Evapo-rust on my moped, it didnt work at all. I've heard mixed reviews about the POR-15 rust removal kit.

The only way to really get the rust out reliably is with electrolysis: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

I've done this on a couple of tanks and its amazing. Completely de-rusted the tanks. And the best part about electrolysis is that it restores the metal by taking metal from the electrode, so the part doesnt thin out, which is especially important on tanks.

What kind of moped? I have a Puch Maxi Sport, and the tank is shaped so weir internally that its just about impossible to clean.

Can you describe the physical set-up you use to do the tanks? I imagine it's pretty awkward doing the interior surface.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've seen rebar hung in the filler neck. Seems simple enough. I've even done this fairly recently, and removed the rust from a knife blade. Speaking of which. KDC67's bike needs this done.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

So a carb cleaning is in order? Since Its winter, can I put some gas stabilizer in and run it through the bike a while then just disconnect the petcock and let the bike die on its own leaving the carb empty for the winter so I can pull it out when its warm?

Anyone, is this okay to do?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Anyone, is this okay to do?

Yup, that's what you want to do. :)

I'd also crack open the drain screws if they're accessable, but if they're not, no big deal.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
The front brakes have been dragging on my 78 Honda Hawk for awhile now. I tried to put new brake pads on the bike this weekend only to discover I can't get the piston to push back into the caliper which leads me to believe either the caliper needs to be rebuilt or the master cylinder has a blocked bleed port. I'm tempted to rebuild the master cylinder first and see if that fixes it before tackling the caliper.

Problem is I can only find rebuild kits for 79-80 Hawk, not the 78. The 79 and up Hawks have a square master cylinder while mine is round, so I'm not sure if a 79 rebuild kit will work. Does anyone have any good links to vintage Honda parts before I flush $40 down the drain? I know that this isn't the only bike that has this master cylinder, so if I can find a compatible rebuild kit I'll be set.

greg_graffin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 22, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mr.belowaverage posted:

Can you describe the physical set-up you use to do the tanks? I imagine it's pretty awkward doing the interior surface.

I bought some thin metal bar from the hardware store, put the tank in a tupperware filled with water/washing soda. Then I put the bars in the tank so they ran all the way to the back, and bent upwards to come out the filler neck.

You have to put tubing or a rubber cap on the end of the bars so they can butt up against the back of the tank without shorting, but it works.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Phat_Albert posted:

I bought some thin metal bar from the hardware store, put the tank in a tupperware filled with water/washing soda. Then I put the bars in the tank so they ran all the way to the back, and bent upwards to come out the filler neck.

You have to put tubing or a rubber cap on the end of the bars so they can butt up against the back of the tank without shorting, but it works.

So, you immersed the entire tank, and the one electrode just juts in through the filler hole?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mr.belowaverage posted:

So, you immersed the entire tank, and the one electrode just juts in through the filler hole?

Two electrodes, one going down each side of the tank, both jutting through the filler hole.

Electrolysis is basically line-of-sight, so you want the electrode to go from the front to back, and you want one on each side of the frame hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
I just registered my newly purchased '91 Nighthawk 750 and was told by the DMV in 2 months it is up for emissions testing.

I'm planning on getting a full tune-up done this friday by a mechanic -- but is there anything specific I should enumerate for them to look at to ensure my bike has no problems passing emissions?

from what I can tell through riding it and running the engine while doing some work on my driveway, it runs great. Carbs are very clean and I'm not spotting any oil leaks and no tell-tale smoke from the exhaust.

Datsun Honeybee fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 23, 2008