Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Not an Anthem posted:

I've seen people make Noguchi knockoffs of that 1944 "Coffee Table" for way cheaper. Its not the real deal but Herman Miller isn't exactly really nice about making affordable design. The one you have is nice though! I like how I'm starting to browse this thread more for people's furniture than the av setups.

Thanks. It used to cost more than the Noguchi table, but I got it during a sale for a great price. It's actually a lot nicer in person, but I have a crap digital camera.

Regarding Noguchi tables, I did some looking for a good replica, and here one is:

http://www.modernica.net/index.php?target=products&product_id=22

It's still on the expensive side (695$) but apartmenttherapy.com says they are absolutely identical.

For as expensive as Herman Miller is, I have to give them some serious love for the Aeron chair. I got mine 7 years ago and its still as good as new. I used to go through a 200$ leather chair from Staples a year, so this has already paid for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
TV: Westinghoues 47inch 1080p Monitor
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1800
Cable: Scientific Atlanta 8240HD
HTPC: ATI HDMI 1080p / Intel Setup
Console / Bluray: PS3

5.1 Setup
Fronts: Definitive Technologies BP8B
Center: Definitive Technologies ProCenter 1000
Rears: Definitive Technologies ProMonitor 800s
Subwoofer: Velodyne 10" 300W Powered

It's Christmas at routenull0's house, so excuse the decorations. This is about 15minutes after setup, I have yet to find a nice stable set of stands for the ProMonitor800s, so they ar pictured sitting atop some older Onkyo's.

I am really impressed with the clarity of the setup for both movies and music, I think once I fill it out with a better subwoofer, the package will be complete. I am very surprised for the amount of detail and volume the ProMonitor800s can do for their size, I am glad I choose them for rears for a while.

Front View:

Rear View:

Fronts Alone:

Future Plans:

I want to move to a better subwoofer, possibly a SuperCube I or a Velodyne DD15

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Belldandy posted:

pervert

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

TenementFunster posted:

pervert

Officer I swear to God I was just stargazing.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006

glitch77 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 3, 2019

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

glitch77 posted:

Pics are old (hence the old xbox dashboard), but the only thing that has changed much is the Harman/Kardon receiver. (Its a 72MX196 DLP by the way)

I'm thinking of doing something similar soon, although my consoles etc. will be fully hidden away. I'm waffling between doing in-walls & making nooks like you did. What made you decide on the approach you finally took?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

fahrvergnugen posted:

I'm thinking of doing something similar soon, although my consoles etc. will be fully hidden away. I'm waffling between doing in-walls & making nooks like you did. What made you decide on the approach you finally took?

With the nooks approach, I'd be worried about blocking the bass ports on the back of the units. Make sure you get units that are designed without them, otherwise you'll mess up the lower frequencies in a bad way.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006

glitch77 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 3, 2019

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

glitch77 posted:

There is a LOT of stuff hidden in the wall, but who wants to go into another room to pop in a DVD or game. The thing that set me over the edge on doing it was how much room it freed up in my living area. Lets put it this way: almost as much room as I had before, that's how much.

In my case I don't really have to go in another room, there's a hallway. It's tough to explain without diagrams really.

Right now I've got the standard TV shrine home theater, just like the other 8 million photos in this thread. TV on a stand, floorstanding speakers, lots of gear tucked underneath, all organized. I hate it, it makes my living room into a place where one subconsciously expects to be entertained and receive ideas, instead of generating ideas.

I love your setup because of the space reclamation. In my case, the idea is to make my living room primarily a place to be social, which just so happens to also contain a 50-60" / 7.1 home theater rig. Wall-mount the TV, put seating under it, hide the speakers (my surrounds are already in the ceiling, the sub's tucked behind the curve of a sectional sofa) and make it a place to hang out and be social, instead of a TV shrine. Toward that goal, painted in-wall speakers would seem to be the way to go, but I have quality concerns.

Anyway sweet setup. Definitely gives me some more things to think about.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Nice stuff I've seen using those nooks is mounting a glass, steel or roll top door to the face. You can either make or order them to size or make your nooks to fit prefab units. For speakers you can just get speaker cover foam and make a frame to fit.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Anyone have a good recommendation on speaker stands? I have a 7.1 Onkyo speaker system and the speakers aren't too big but I want to know if anyone uses stands for them?

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003
custom text: never ending story

rndm posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation on speaker stands? I have a 7.1 Onkyo speaker system and the speakers aren't too big but I want to know if anyone uses stands for them?
I'm a big fan of building over buying for stands.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just did some mild upgrading (replaced my RPTV, replaced my Denon receiver, replaced my dvd players for blu ray), so here's some photos.

Harman Kardon AVR-354
Sharp 52" 1080p lcd
Samsung BD-1500 blu ray
HTPC 5000+ X2 w/ 4TB
Klipsch RB3II, RC3, RS3II
ED A-350 subwoofer
Other random stuff

I still need to run some wires in the wall, but other than that I'm pretty much done.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

The kids fell asleep while watching When We Left Earth on blu-ray.

My newest toys : Logitech DiNovo mini and Harmony 520

And yes, myself, the wife, and our 6 year old daughter all have our own identical Inspiron Mini.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I kept holding off posting my setup, as I wanted to wait until it was "complete", along with getting photos of the rest of my loft, but I think I'm going to wait on doing everything until I'm about to move out late this coming summer.

Here's my setup:

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 3300
Scandyna "Drop" speakers
Debut III with acrylic platter
Rega P1
NAD PP3
Airport Express, iPod Touch using the Remote app to control itunes.

I know I shouldn't have the speakers and turntables on the same stainless steel surface, but I'm waiting until I move again to get the ceiling mounts for my speakers. Right now my ceilings are cement and about 13' high, which would make it very costly and a pain in the rear end to mount them.

This is the main system, then I have Audioengine A2s in the office hooked up to the main iTunes mac. In the bedroom I have another Airport Express hooked up to Scandyna Minipods (powered), and the same in the master bathroom. I control everything using the iPod touch.

Flewdefur
Dec 19, 2003
. .

slaphappynickname posted:

My newest toys : Logitech DiNovo mini and Harmony 520

How do you like the little DiNovo keyboard? Right now I have a full sized wireless keyboard which is nice, but not quite as sleek as that little toy.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I am having a fairly hard time finding a black corner cabinet with doors. I've checked multiple stores and sites but to no avail. Has anyone come across some of these? I am surprised that they seem so rare.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Awesome, I am putting the TV up on the wall tonight. I cannot wait to get it set up and see how it looks.

Now I just need shelves to hold my surround sound speakers!

neka
Sep 11, 2006

Click here for the full 2048x459 image.

Samsung PS42A457 42" Plasma TV
Xbox 360
--------
Technics 1210 x 2
Vestax Mixer
Macbook
Alesis 720 DSP Monitors
--------
Custom PC
Yuraku 19" Widescreen Monitor
LG 17" Monitor
(Got a Behringer Midi Keyboard but not in photo)

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Samsung R8 40 Inch HDMI @ 48Hz 1360x768

780G Based HTPC, full hardware decoding for HD-DVD/BR/MKV, plays the lot. Using Media Portal 1.0 with Streamed MP, TV Series, My Movies plugin.

Old Yamaha HTIAB setup, does the job for a small room.

All controlled with MCE remote and a wireless mouse.

Full view from the couch.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/pano.jpg

Running Dark Knight BR.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/playingmovie.jpg

Browsing Movies.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/movies.jpg

Main Menu.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/viewtvshows.jpg

Tv episode menu.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/friends.jpg

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Ingram posted:

780G Based HTPC, full hardware decoding for HD-DVD/BR/MKV, plays the lot. Using Media Portal 1.0 with Streamed MP, TV Series, My Movies plugin.

Running Dark Knight BR.

Browsing Movies.

Main Menu.

Tv episode menu.

It looks good man, but can I suggest one addition?

Also, do you have a set-top box or anything for your cable? I really want to go with MediaPortal, but I have no idea in hell how to get it setup with a set-top box.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Ingram posted:

Running Dark Knight BR.

Browsing Movies.

Main Menu.

Tv episode menu.

Where did you get those shelves? They're exactly what I need for my DVDs.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

monkeybounce posted:

It looks good man, but can I suggest one addition?

SECONDED. Holy god. You really need to invest in some cable management, that rat's nest takes your otherwise clean setup and makes it look amateurish.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
I bought a TV this weekend, a Sony BRAVIA KDL-26M4000 with an AppleTV. Only a 26", but given the small space anything else would be too large. I'm considering buying a cheap "surround-sound in a box" type thing to go along with it, although really headphones are probably good enough.

I love the AppleTV, even though converting files is a huge pain (haven't tried boxee yet). HandBrake is decent, but crashes and doesn't work very well on some input files.

The only bad thing is that this is the first TV I've had since I started needing glasses-- figures that by the time I get an HDTV my eyesight has deteriorated to the point where I can't get as much out of it as I could four years ago. :(

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Olevia 42" hooked up to a PC running XBMC
PS3
Sound Blaster X-Fi surround (For when I eventually get enough money to actually have surrounds)
NAD T754
Axiom M80s
Axiom EP175
Some old Denon radio I keep around but unplugged cause it looks nifty

not much of a video person, so the TV is off most of the time, but I tend to have music playing whenever I'm home.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Finally got the TV on the wall!

I think it looks a lot nicer than it did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gas Break Dip
May 16, 2008

Then scrape.
Love seeing those turntable setups. ^^^^

Here is my current setup. My sources are terrible right now - blew my wad on the speakers.

Please excuse the terrible cellphone quality pics. I haven't got a real camera yet!

Mitsubishi WD52631 1080p DLP
Pioneer Elite VSX84TXSi Receiver
Sony CDP-291 CD Player (Marantz CD5003 coming soon)
Toshiba SD-3960 DVD Player (terrible player, PS3 to replace this soon)
Comcast HD Box
Red-ringed Xbox 360 (screw fixing this, I'm just buying a PS3)
B&W 684's wired with JSC 14/2
Component video for DVD, Comcast.
HDMI upscale then out to DLP thru Elite Receiver.
All interconnects are Audioquest except for CD player's.

I really want to get the PS3 and the rest of the speakers soon, but I have to wait and save up. Can't wait to grab the center (HTM 62) and rears (686's) and watch some Blu-Rays.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Just moved into the new house, so it's a bit messy and I need to figure out a better spot for the Xbox. I'm considering getting a shelving unit that'll hold everything on that table, plus my box full of books.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Pictured:
LG 32" LCD TV
80GB PS3
Wii
Xbox 360
Cable Box

The TV Stand is some cheap stand my brother gave me when I moved, it works fine for what I need though so whatever.

edit: Oh god, the dust :cry:

Mugmoor fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 31, 2008

Potato Sheriff
Aug 7, 2004

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.
I'm having a hard time deciding where to set up my TV, so I was wondering what people here thought. I have cabinets built into the wall, but they are too small for the size TV I want. I'm going to have to run the cables and all that down from the ceiling, which wont be a problem. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with a TV mounted fairly high on a wall, and how irritating it is if any.

Here's a mockup of my living room area from above:

And from the kitchen, the red squares are possible TV spots:

If I put it above the fireplace, I would tilt it down a little I guess. I would just use the cabinets for my equipment stand. If it were on the side wall, it would be more on a regular eye level. Also, does anyone know of problems resulting from using around 25ft or more of wire, like lag or quality loss?

Thanks for any help. Some of you have some amazing setups.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
In between the windows on the wall. TVs above fireplaces are never a good idea because of the angle. Your neck will regret it.

And as long as it's good quality cable, 25 foot runs shouldn't be any different from a 2 foot run.

cudwortho
Aug 1, 2003
Speaking of cable runs, I've read that having the same length speaker wire for all speakers is a must. So if you have 5.1 sound then all speaker wire minus the sub, should be say 25ft for ea speaker. I currently have my setup ran like this, but the extra wire for my center channel speaker is all bunched up and looks like a birds nest. If I were to cut off some of the excess center channel wire would I even notice a difference? Is having all the wire the same length even a must do?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Just got a new receiver and speakers, set them up. Needs some tidying and tweaking but it is ready for use right now. Oh man, the TrueHD track on Dark Knight is amazing.

I've got a 40" Samsung LNS-4092D (1366x768) with a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K receiver and Energy Take Classic speakers. Sources are a PS3, 360 Elite and a Wii. HDMI all around, except for the Wii, it runs component. My PC is just to the right, running HDMI with composite for audio.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

cudwortho posted:

Speaking of cable runs, I've read that having the same length speaker wire for all speakers is a must. So if you have 5.1 sound then all speaker wire minus the sub, should be say 25ft for ea speaker. I currently have my setup ran like this, but the extra wire for my center channel speaker is all bunched up and looks like a birds nest. If I were to cut off some of the excess center channel wire would I even notice a difference? Is having all the wire the same length even a must do?

Whoever told you that is full of poo poo. The only person i can imagine having a reason to tell you that is the sales guy so you buy more speaker wire.

cudwortho
Aug 1, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Whoever told you that is full of poo poo. The only person i can imagine having a reason to tell you that is the sales guy so you buy more speaker wire.

I'm pretty sure I read it on AVs Forums, but it was prolly 10 years ago.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah, mine sounds fine and my wire runs range from 5 feet (front left) to 40 feet (rear left).

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

cudwortho posted:

I'm pretty sure I read it on AVs Forums, but it was prolly 10 years ago.

For every sane thing said on AVS forums there are 10 crazy video/audiophiles spewing insanity. Even when some of it is true it is seldom worth the cost for the small improvement, or the improvement would only be seen in equipment far superior to your own.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Ive heard of the speaker wire thing before but just thought it was a joke, the whole premise is the electrons traveling through the speaker cable should be traveling the same distance to ALL speakers so the electrons all arrive at the same time and the "timing" is perfect. Sounds pretty convincing but theres absolutely no science backing it up... if you do try to apply science to it im pretty sure electrons travel at the speed of light so even if they do somehow arrive at the rear speakers after the front ones, it will be .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a second sound delay, and thres no way human ears (or most measuring equipment) can pick up on that.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Omegaslast posted:

Ive heard of the speaker wire thing before but just thought it was a joke, the whole premise is the electrons traveling through the speaker cable should be traveling the same distance to ALL speakers so the electrons all arrive at the same time and the "timing" is perfect. Sounds pretty convincing but theres absolutely no science backing it up... if you do try to apply science to it im pretty sure electrons travel at the speed of light so even if they do somehow arrive at the rear speakers after the front ones, it will be .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a second sound delay, and thres no way human ears (or most measuring equipment) can pick up on that.

I think it's more to do with resistance but I don't think it matters either way.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Rearranged the lounge today. I got some criticism for having too many wires visible. This is mainly because my tv cabinent doesn't have any backboard to hide what is behind the unit. It doesn't really botter me anyway.

For the first time I'm trying the 5.1 setup with the sub behind the tv out of the way. I think it works great. Funnily enough, if I want to change the sub volume, or connect something up on the reciever I have to go outside and access it all from the window.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/setup-2.jpg

I bought some cheap $1 posters to make the wall look less bland, gonna pick up one more poster to fill it in. Oh the 3 shiny movies posters are old ones I got professionally done years ago.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/couches.jpg

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Just kind of went through the last year of posts in this thread -- there's been a few nice places/setups in here, my favorite was the massive oldschool speakers with the amp on top and an iPod. And the dude with the 3 color LED lighting install -- although I'm interested in seeing how you intend to use them day to day.

Not an Anthem posted:

I like how I'm starting to browse this thread more for people's furniture than the av setups.

I as well, so this if for you. Light on the AV and more focus on the furniture. We don't watch a ton of movies (maybe 3/mo with our 1 at a time netflix sub) this is mostly used for hanging out, web, listening to music, and some TV (through Media Center)

L-R

Whatever $1k got me (w. 5% employee discount) in an HP tower last summer running Vista
Tivoli Model 2 with "Subwoofer" -- got these in 2006 before they went up $100 per component
17" Dell monitor
webcam and mic for Skyping with family
Logitech Cordless IP devices
Toshiba 32U67LLWhatever run via a single HDMI cable
Samsung laser printer

All wires (and a USB hub) are run underneath and behind the console top which was made out of $10 worth of 2x6s and $10 worth of paint. The cases are modified Ikea PS units and are placed to cover wall outlets.

The tables and ottoman were built by me. The lounge chair is a Swedish piece that my parents bought new in 1972 that I refinished in white. Vintage Herman Miller upholstered shell chairs and a pair of Modernica arm chair reproductions to surround the laminated 2x4 (motherfucking heavy) dining table. The daybed is also from Modernica (Case Study).

The post-xmas centerpiece on the table was just something I threw together with that wooden assembly -- which would make a great base for a glass coffee table if anyone was interested in that sort of thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Blooot posted:

sexy lounge area

I really loving love your furniture and space. You built those nesting tables? They look great. I can't wait to own when I finally settle on a city permanently and can really get into what furniture I choose.