Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
Anybody know what the name of this type of fuse is and where I can get one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
hahaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaahahahahah

Honda. It's a fusable link. Not a "fuse" if you blew that, you did something REAL special

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Don't even bother replacing it with another link. They suck. Just get an inline fuse holder, splice it in, and use an inline fuse of the same amperage. You'll find replacements much easier to find.

The fusible link on my CB750 blew one day and I almost died; I had no idea what it was, but the puff of smoke made me think I fried the harness or something.

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster
Tell me what this bike is and how much it costs:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I very much think tha'ts a yamaha XS650 with a hell of a lot of work done to it. If it's not the yamaha, it's a later "early" triumph.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Datsun Honeybee posted:

I just registered my newly purchased '91 Nighthawk 750 and was told by the DMV in 2 months it is up for emissions testing.

I'm planning on getting a full tune-up done this friday by a mechanic -- but is there anything specific I should enumerate for them to look at to ensure my bike has no problems passing emissions?

from what I can tell through riding it and running the engine while doing some work on my driveway, it runs great. Carbs are very clean and I'm not spotting any oil leaks and no tell-tale smoke from the exhaust.

A "tune up" is code for rip me off around here. Is the bike running fine? If so, don't waste your money.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How do I find a good motorcycle mechanic for my 93 zx-600? Anyone have any recommendations for the Southern California region? Finding a shop isn't a problem. I'm just looking for recommendations and reviews, etc. Is there an online database of, well, trusted mechanics? With customer input? I just bought this thing and just need someone to check it out and have routine maintenance done. Should I just go to the one of the local shops by me?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Christoff posted:

How do I find a good motorcycle mechanic for my 93 zx-600? Anyone have any recommendations for the Southern California region? Finding a shop isn't a problem. I'm just looking for recommendations and reviews, etc. Is there an online database of, well, trusted mechanics? With customer input? I just bought this thing and just need someone to check it out and have routine maintenance done. Should I just go to the one of the local shops by me?

DIA Motorsports in Gardena is good - it's run by a guy named Miles who does excellent work. I'm not sure if your '93 ZX-600 is something he'd work on, but it wouldn't hurt to check 'em out. I don't have a number off hand, but they share shop space with British Customs who's easy enough to find.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/timing/sparkplugs.html#pluganchor

The plug explanation at the bottom of the page is priceless.

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

"I sometimes like to feel the poop as it leaves my hole."
For how much could I find a carburetor for a 1983 Honda Shadow 750cc? Would it be cheaper to order online since I have someone to install it? What are some good websites?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Why do you need a whole carburator? Did you buy a bike without one? Carburators don't wear out, or "break". All of the critical parts are replacable. So what's the whole story?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh, and also. I know first hand seafoam works wonders for cars. Do you guys use it on your bikes to? Do you use it the same way? Some in the gas tank, some in vacuum line, etc. (Don't have one off hand)

My bike only has 7,500 miles but is 15 years old. So it could probably use some.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

ZX6E? Or ZX6D?

Either: Reference https://www.zx6e.net. They know pretty much everything there is to know about those bikes. I can help out too, I rode a ZX-6E for 50,000 miles. Nice bikes.

Double edit: See you already found the site. I'll leave that here for anyone who's searching for stuff on these bikes in the future.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 25, 2008

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Christoff posted:

Oh, and also. I know first hand seafoam works wonders for cars. Do you guys use it on your bikes to? Do you use it the same way? Some in the gas tank, some in vacuum line, etc. (Don't have one off hand)

My bike only has 7,500 miles but is 15 years old. So it could probably use some.

Used some on my moped. Didn't hurt it any, at least. :)

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Why do you need a whole carburator? Did you buy a bike without one? Carburators don't wear out, or "break". All of the critical parts are replacable. So what's the whole story?

All I know is my friend's dad is selling his bike but says that it needs a new carburetor.. I don't know if he meant to say that it needed parts replaced or what, just that it needs a new carburetor and tires. He's supposed to be a mechanic so I assumed he meant what he said.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You should ask. being a "mechanic" really doesn't say much about their mechanical abilities or judgment on parts. (I don't know the guy, he might actually be one of the few that's not in the buisness because they couldn't make it anywhere else) Carburator racks, (most bikes have more than one, and they're typically held togother on a rack) go for $50-150 for bikes of that age. Depends on how rare the bike was.

I picked up my last GSX550 carbs for $9, and the set before $29.

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Carburator racks, (most bikes have more than one, and they're typically held togother on a rack) go for $50-150 for bikes of that age. Depends on how rare the bike was.

Its a 1983 Honda Shadow 750cc, parts shouldn't be too hard to find seeing that its a Honda. I talked to him and he said that I could have the carb restored but being that its old as poo poo I'd be better off replacing it.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
An '83 is old as poo poo?? I have original carbs from '72, '77, and '80. They all work perfectly fine. I call bullshit. As for a price, $150. Get better specifics on what's wrong with them.

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

I might also need a new fuel tank, any ideas for websites etc.? Thanks

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Lets be clear. You DO NOT NEED new carbs. As if KDC67 wasn't clear enough. :-) ANY carbs you will find, are going to be used, and will need EXACTLY the same treatment as the ones that are on the bike.

New gas tanks are $350-900. Why do you think it needs a "new" gas tank? Dented ones can be fixed with a little work at home.. leaking ones, can be fixed by radiator shops. Or at least kreemed.

Used tanks are a crapshoot. I've gotten tanks that were nearly rotted out. I've also gotten tanks that I wondered why I got them for $30. It's a shot in the dark as to which you're getting.

How much is this bike going to be?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 27, 2020

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK

Mechanism Eight posted:

What's the word on carrying additional fuel for longer trips?
Anything put in the bike's rear box gets knocked about quite a bit, would storing a sealed plastic fuel can in there be stupid?

You can use a couple MSR Fuel Bottles

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Does anyone know a good product for doing throttle cable lubing without removing both ends of the cables? Looking through my clymers manual that seems to be quite a task for a nighthawk 750 (rear wheel and fairing and the air filter housing assemblies have to be removed)

I've heard on other forums of some kind of injector you can use, but would it just be easier to detach the cable from the throttle control end and use some kind of IV-drip like system to let it drain in?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've never actually lubed any of my cables. I've only once had a "mid cable" failure, and that was on a 20 year old cable. I just replace cables every few years. It's safer that way anyhow. :-)

Are you going to be trying to "restore" cables by lubing them?

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Well, my throttle cable just seems a little stiff, the throttle doesn't snap shut even after adjustments. Should I just replace it instead? My manual calls for lubing it first, and if that doesn't work just replace it afterwards.

While I'm on the subject, this is a '91 CB 750 without a center stand, I'm having a hard time finding a stand that will allow me to put this thing up to do that sort of work (removing wheels) since the exhaust system runs underneath the bike.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
sounds like you'll end up doing a ton of work either way

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use one of these:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/track_garage/tools__hardware/motion_pro/cable_luber.html

You take off one end, clamp this tool on, and spray until it drips out the other end.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My bike (an '09 DR650, about 1800 miles) has developed a squeak.

It only seems to happen as I slow down from about 12mph to 0mph (indicated). It's not related to the brakes, as it happens under sudden braking. It seems to match wheel speed, and I'm guessing it's the speedo sensor, but not sure.

Any suggestions, and how should I lube it?

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Lets be clear. You DO NOT NEED new carbs. As if KDC67 wasn't clear enough. :-) ANY carbs you will find, are going to be used, and will need EXACTLY the same treatment as the ones that are on the bike.

New gas tanks are $350-900. Why do you think it needs a "new" gas tank? Dented ones can be fixed with a little work at home.. leaking ones, can be fixed by radiator shops. Or at least kreemed.

Used tanks are a crapshoot. I've gotten tanks that were nearly rotted out. I've also gotten tanks that I wondered why I got them for $30. It's a shot in the dark as to which you're getting.

How much is this bike going to be?

My friend and his dad are gonna look it over sometime next week to give me the exact lowdown on what it needs, but so far its looking to be $500 as is, and it needs new tires and (work on) the carbs plus whatever might have gone to poo poo while it was sitting. It hasn't been used much as its an '83 with only 20k miles, but I've read that it might actually be a bad thing.. As for the tank, it's just something my friend thought might be a problem but I'm not 100% on the details yet, hes supposed to tell me later next week.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

As long as it's a few miles a year, and not 20,000 in the first 3, you're in ok shape that way. I got my 83 GS550ES after it had been sitting for 9 years in a shop. New oil, cleaned carbs, new battery, and new tires... and it was on the road again.

You didn't directly answer my question, but I'm going to gather it's a free bike. If so, get it. Hondas are solid bikes. If it's free, consider yourself having a $1500 budget to fix it. It doesn't sound like you'll need much more than $700 all told ;-)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You didn't directly answer my question, but I'm going to gather it's a free bike.
$500.

Follow-up to my earlier question: I went outside and rolled the bike up to about 20, then decel'd ... helmet off, so I could hear better :(

Anyway, sound wasn't there. I guess maybe something was lodged in the brake or something and my loving around slamming on the brakes knocked it loose. The bike DID do it after sitting for 8 hours at work, so I don't think it's a "not up to temperature" issue.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I don't think it's a "not up to temperature" issue.
Or not! it came back about halfway (2 miles) through my trip to work.

Still looking for suggestions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you absolutely positive it's coming from the front end? Can you induce it by bouncing the hell out of the front forks?

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
My Honda CBR F3 has a slightly rough idle and a little bit of power surging when low on the throttle. Under hard acceleration I've never noticed anything. It's also fairly hard to start cold. A friend of mine thinks it's a clogged pilot jet. I was wondering if seafoam or some other additive is likely to clean that out or if I should take the carbs apart and clean them. I don't have a carb sync tool so I don't want to mess up what's mostly working, but I don't want to buy some additive if I'm just going to have to take the carbs apart anyway.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Dammit, more really, really basic questions.

I have a Clymer Guide to the Honda Nighthawk or whatever, big thick book full of diagrams.

Problem is, it doesn't really prioritize what a noob needs to know. Is there some simpler checklist I should follow, or maybe get a current Nighthawk manual from Honda and hope it has simpler stuff?

I understand dead-easy stuff like changing the oil, checking tire pressure, etc. I'm just fuzzier on what maintenance steps I should be doing on a regular basis. Checking chain tension, I assume, but Clymer has a dozen pages on it when instead I just need a paragraph of "pull at Point Y, if it moves more than Z", it's BAD"

Is there some online checklist, or some standard book for idiots who barely understand mechanical stuff? I asked a couple weeks ago, got some good books like Proficient Motorcycling, but that's more technique and less mech.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lawn posted:

My Honda CBR F3 has a slightly rough idle and a little bit of power surging when low on the throttle. Under hard acceleration I've never noticed anything. It's also fairly hard to start cold. A friend of mine thinks it's a clogged pilot jet. I was wondering if seafoam or some other additive is likely to clean that out or if I should take the carbs apart and clean them. I don't have a carb sync tool so I don't want to mess up what's mostly working, but I don't want to buy some additive if I'm just going to have to take the carbs apart anyway.

Seafoam can, indeed, sort stuff like that out pretty easily. If it starts and idles, chances are good that a little seafoam will help quite a bit. It's not so successful on really clogged poo poo, but it could save you having to pull the carbs apart. It's like :10bux:, so it's cheap enough to just give it a shot for the hell of it.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I have a Clymer Guide to the Honda Nighthawk or whatever, big thick book full of diagrams.

Problem is, it doesn't really prioritize what a noob needs to know. Is there some simpler checklist I should follow, or maybe get a current Nighthawk manual from Honda and hope it has simpler stuff?

I understand dead-easy stuff like changing the oil, checking tire pressure, etc. I'm just fuzzier on what maintenance steps I should be doing on a regular basis. Checking chain tension, I assume, but Clymer has a dozen pages on it when instead I just need a paragraph of "pull at Point Y, if it moves more than Z", it's BAD"

Is there some online checklist, or some standard book for idiots who barely understand mechanical stuff? I asked a couple weeks ago, got some good books like Proficient Motorcycling, but that's more technique and less mech.

There should be a maintenence checklist in the front of the Clymers, with what you should check at each mileage interval. Now, it's a little exhaustive and oftentimes excessive, but it'll give you some idea of the basics.

You should check the chain tension when you lube the chain. After awhile you'll be able to just toe it with your boot and see if it's right or not. You want it to have about 2-2.5 inches of travel when you lift it up. It shouldn't be loose enough to slap the swingarm freely when you lift it, and it shouldn't be anywhere near tight enough to be difficult to move freely. I lube my chain roughly every 2 tanks of gas with 90w gear oil. It's a little overkill, but my chains last forever...upwards of 40k on the one on my 929, before I sold the bike...it was still good for probably another 30k.

There's a couple of "maintenence for dummies" books out there, but I'd highly recommend trying to find someone who's willing to teach you the basics in person. Usually there's other riders out there who will help you with the basics.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2008

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are you absolutely positive it's coming from the front end? Can you induce it by bouncing the hell out of the front forks?

No, and no. I'm going over to BabyHitler's house tonight, I'll probably have him give it a listen. It's too hard to tell where it's coming from with my helmet on, and I haven't gotten it to do it rolling up and down the street in front of my house :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Mechanism Eight posted:

What's the word on carrying additional fuel for longer trips?
Anything put in the bike's rear box gets knocked about quite a bit, would storing a sealed plastic fuel can in there be stupid?

MSR or Primus camp stove fuel bottles work fine for this. A couple of the one liter containers will get you to the next gas station or at least a hell of a lot closer.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I have a nighthawk and the clymer's manual. There should be a chapter for "periodic lube and maintenance" that shows you how to do the basic things. The later sections with all the exploded diagrams are for removing and dismantling assemblies if you ever need to do some really advanced stuff if your bike dies.

They're great to have though, my father dismantled and re-assembled our Datsun B210's engine when I was a kid using a similar manual.

Datsun Honeybee fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's a good webshop for bike parts in the UK? The pound has dropped nicely lately, maybe I can save a little.