Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
I don't have any screenshots, since the project is just a "when I'm bored of being a computer janitor at work" type thing. But I decided to write Pong with Python (v2.6) and pygame. I'm half way done.

Some of the SysAdmins want me to get it to be multiplayer over the network. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

duck monster posted:

Thats the depressing thing. I love ObjC an Cocoa , but damned if I've *never* seen a job advertised looking for a mac coder. :smith:

ummm... http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=objective-c&l=

tayl0r
Oct 3, 2002
This post brought to you by SOE
http://istoryweb.appspot.com/stylesheets/ss.png

iStory, a choose your own adventure framework for the iPhone and web. The SS is from the StoryForge, the story editor on the web.

I posted a thread on SA about it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3036743

http://istoryweb.appspot.com/

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Stramit posted:

Here are two images i made in one of my old raytracers. I'm rejigging it to be actually nice and incorporate all the new coding stuff / performance i know since I wrote it originally (about 2 years ago).

Other then this I'm working on an iPhone turn based strat game (writing an editor atm). I'm not a massive fan on Obj-C so far, but it's not that bad I guess.
Can it do checkerboard surfaces?

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

The output from a compiler I wrote last weekend for a C-ish language. I specifically didn't use Bison or Flex as I wanted to learn about parsers and lexical analysis. It supports basic flow control as well as functions and recursion.

The virtual machine that executes the byte code manages about 50mhz on my computer, though it could certainly be optimized quite a bit.

All in all, a fun little project.

steckles fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 20, 2008

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

heeen posted:

Can it do checkerboard surfaces?

Not currently, but I might implement that soon. Doesn't seem to hard to do really.

Pfiffer
Feb 11, 2008

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I'm currently messing around with ARToolkit. I don't know a whole lot of OpenGL, so I'm learning that as I go. I recently found out how to render wavefront .obj files, as evidenced in the screenshot. Slow progress, but its fun to work with.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Like pretty much every other baby programmer, I decided to make a computer game. Screenshots aren't very impressive, since I stole all the assets from other games (except the hearts, which I drew in Photoshop in 5 minutes).

Some (sorta) interesting stuff:
  • Levels and sprite animations defined externally in custom formats
  • Background image parallaxes across the screen
  • Keyboard/joystick input is abstracted out, so WASD and a joystick appear the same to the game
  • Collision detection works properly even at ridiculously low framerates
  • All loading happens in background threads for better responsiveness
  • Supports streaming audio
The game itself is written in C++/DirectX. No game toolkits or anything.

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster
Do you use quad-trees for collision detection? Also, is that metroid prime/super mario graphics?

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

Click here for the full 680x497 image.

I just finished writing a simple AS3/MySQL app that basically lets you post notes on a wall.

e: hahhahaha

e2: Haha, very clever goons. Very clever.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 4, 2010

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

This is a password manager I wrote in C++. I made it because existing password managers (KeePass etc.) store the password database in their own weird format, and I don't want my passwords (and backups) to be unreadable in 10 years. So my password manager uses a GPG-encrypted text file with a passwd-like format (1 entry per line, 4 fields, colon-separated).

It also takes great care to ensure that all sensitive info is kept in mlock(2)'ed memory, to prevent swapping to disk. Some password managers forget to do this.

I finished all the important features about a week ago. I'm currently busy converting it from FLTK to gtkmm. Once that's done I plan to resume working on the Windows port.

electioneering
Aug 31, 2004

riot shields, voodoo economics, it's just business, cattle prods and the I.M.F. i trust i can rely on your vote.

tayl0r posted:

http://istoryweb.appspot.com/stylesheets/ss.png

iStory, a choose your own adventure framework for the iPhone and web. The SS is from the StoryForge, the story editor on the web.

I posted a thread on SA about it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3036743

http://istoryweb.appspot.com/

This is really cool! Seeing interesting projects up on app engine puts a twinkle in my eye.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hexadecimal posted:

Also, is that metroid prime/super mario graphics?
That is most certainly not Metroid Prime graphics :)

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

Misogynist posted:

That is most certainly not Metroid Prime graphics :)

It looks like a mix of Super Mario and Metroid graphics.

AD, can you still answer the question about your collision detection scheme? I am very much interested how a pro is doing this.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Hurray!

rasactive
Dec 25, 2007
o hai

steckles posted:

The output from a compiler I wrote last weekend for a C-ish language. I specifically didn't use Bison or Flex as I wanted to learn about parsers and lexical analysis. It supports basic flow control as well as functions and recursion.

The virtual machine that executes the byte code manages about 50mhz on my computer, though it could certainly be optimized quite a bit.

All in all, a fun little project.

What language are you doing this in? I've been thinking about doing this recently in Common Lisp to learn the language, and a little more about compilers, but I have a mental block about duplicating other people's code.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

tripwire posted:

Hurray!

That's awesome, man. You should do a similar GIF of your avatar and buy it :)

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

rasactive posted:

What language are you doing this in? I've been thinking about doing this recently in Common Lisp to learn the language, and a little more about compilers, but I have a mental block about duplicating other people's code.

If you're interested in writing a Lisp compiler, check out An Incremental Approach To Compiler Construction. A professor wrote up a nice step-by-step way to write a Scheme->x86 asm compiler which was relatively straightforward to follow. I worked on it during a graduate compilers course and felt as though I learned a lot.

One of the nicer things about doing a Scheme compiler is you don't really have to worry about tokenization/parsing, so you can kinda hit the ground running.

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster
I have worked on this project in the summer of last year. It is for visualizing scalar volume data.

features include:
  • Uses Java OpenGL and webstart. This means it can be run on a wide variety of OS from a single .jnlp/jar file.
  • Load binary floating point values files (that represent a 3d array) and visualize them using OpenGL's 3D texture feature.
  • Use Gaussian Shader (GLSL) to choose mean and standard deviation to isolate a certain range in the data to visualize. Note that this reefers to normalized data that is between [0,1].
  • Use linear shader to color different data regions with gradually different colors for more colorful pictures. (You cannot control the gradient right now. I should probably build it in).
  • Create iso-surfaces using marching cubes algorithm around the mean and standard deviation you chose in gaussian shader. This works pretty fast, but contains some bugs, specifically sometimes the direction of normal vectors are reveresed, producing undesirable effects. (I haven't figured out how to fix this problem yet.)
  • Use fixed function or per-pixel phong shading on generated surfaces.

This program is sort of slow, but it is possible to visualize p large data sets in real time. The main bottleneck appears to be fill rate of the 3d texture. Also some optimizations in my GLSL shaders.

Some screenshots:
Teddy bear volume file using gaussian shader:

Iso surface generated about this data:

I took head MRI scan from Stanford's volume archive and converted it to the floating point value file.
Here is human head using linear shader:

And here is iso-surface about mean and deviation shown in the screenshot. It took a while to generate it for this data set (perhaps around 10 sec) because of its large size.

Here is a higher quality screenshot (uses 1000 slices on 3d-texture) of a region of data that seems to represent bone:

As you guys can tell I had a lot of fun making this and playing around with sample data. :)

If you would like to play around yourself, then here is the link to the web-start file: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/jstart/jung/volume.jnlp
It should work on Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS, and probably anything else that supports Java 1.6+ and has JOGL native libraries distributed for it.
You can try loading some random files into it and sometimes you can get weird results. It will basically just try to interpret any file you give to it as floating point binary file. Don't give it anything larger than 70+MB, as it will likely run out of heap memory.

EDIT: Here is a link to the rar of 2 data files that I have used for screen shots in this post: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/jstart/jung/data/data.rar
EDIT2: Same as data.rar but in zip format: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/jstart/jung/data/data.zip

hexadecimal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 13, 2009

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

hexadecimal posted:

:words:

EDIT: Here is a link to the rar of 2 data files that I have used for screen shots in this post: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/jstart/jung/data/data.rar

It is not a rar it is in zip format, just rename the extension and it will work.

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

SwimNurd posted:

It is not a rar it is in zip format, just rename the extension and it will work.

It doesn't work for you? I am pretty sure it is in RAR format. Sorry I will just make a zip file.

Here is zip: http://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/jstart/jung/data/data.zip

vvvvvvvvvv :) Can you suggest how to speed it up? Besides changing the OpenGL method i'm using? For some reason it takes up a lot of CPU, even though it should just be low FPS but not much CPU usage. The CPU usage increases when you make window bigger, but I don't see why that is so? Maybe its a problem in JOGL driver?

hexadecimal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 14, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

hexadecimal posted:

I have worked on this project in the summer of last year. It is for visualizing scalar volume data.

:words:

See, if you post stuff like this instead of bad advice, you won't have any problems in CoC. :)

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

hexadecimal posted:

Note that this reefers to...

I know you said in the Coding Horrors thread that you do a lot of coding while high, but come on man, keep your head in the game here :350:

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster

dancavallaro posted:

I know you said in the Coding Horrors thread that you do a lot of coding while high, but come on man, keep your head in the game here :350:

Whoops, Freudian slip. :)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

hexadecimal posted:

vvvvvvvvvv :) Can you suggest how to speed it up? Besides changing the OpenGL method i'm using? For some reason it takes up a lot of CPU, even though it should just be low FPS but not much CPU usage. The CPU usage increases when you make window bigger, but I don't see why that is so? Maybe its a problem in JOGL driver?

How would I know? Run a profiler.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

rasactive posted:

I wrote it in C++. Probably not the easiest language to write a compiler in, but it's what I know.

rasactive
Dec 25, 2007
o hai
^^
That's really cool, though. I'm sure it's not crazy optimized, but I think it qualifies as a nerd merit badge.

GT_Onizuka posted:

If you're interested in writing a Lisp compiler, check out An Incremental Approach To Compiler Construction. A professor wrote up a nice step-by-step way to write a Scheme->x86 asm compiler which was relatively straightforward to follow. I worked on it during a graduate compilers course and felt as though I learned a lot.

One of the nicer things about doing a Scheme compiler is you don't really have to worry about tokenization/parsing, so you can kinda hit the ground running.

I've actually written a compiler and interpreters in Scheme from EOPL (there's that cs.indiana.edu again) a while back but I was looking for some hands-on experience with Common Lisp.

Even if it's similar, though, it will be different since the imaginary machine instructions from that book made some convenient assumptions about instruction types/registers.

rasactive fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 14, 2009

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

rasactive posted:

I've actually written a compiler and interpreters in Scheme from EOPL (there's that cs.indiana.edu again) a while back but I was looking for some hands-on experience with Common Lisp.

Even if it's similar, though, it will be different since the imaginary machine instructions from that book made some convenient assumptions about instruction types/registers.

Yeah, his paper does something similar, so I'm not terribly sure if you'd get a whole lot out of it. Let me know if you find anything, I like playing around with compilers myself.

hexadecimal
Nov 23, 2008

by Fragmaster
This is one of my first OpenGL programs. I had to learn how to use display lists for it in order to generate poo poo ton of cubes. (there should be sigma(i,0,5)(6^i)=9331 cubes here). Also matrix stack (each cube basically has it's own model view matrix that changes continuously) and correct way to traverse tree data structure while using matrix stack. This is a 3d fractal of sorts, as it is self-similar and has a very simple recursive definition. (Take a cube, add 6 small cubes on each face of the parent cube.) It is also animated with relative distance between parent/child oscillating and camera moving around.

Press 1-8 to change between different drawing functions for cube (had to learn C++ function pointers for that). Press +,- to increase/decrease complexity of the fractal. Press q and e to change relative spacing between parent/children. (Please note that it is sort of buggy, don't press q and e more than once. Also do not increase complexity too much, it will likely freeze the program).

If you press F2 you can see the height map I generated for the racing game project that this was later part of (hence the name racer.exe).

Here is the link to executable. https://giga2.cs.ohiou.edu/~neiman/racer.exe.
This is just a GLUT app. I tested it, and it worked fine on Ubuntu using wine. Even had almost exact same FPS as when running on windows.

IS anybody has experience with making Windows or linux screen savers? How hard would it be to convert GLUT app to a screen saver?

EDIT: fixed my counting error of the cubes.

hexadecimal fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 15, 2009

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

Full set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tripcastradio/sets/72157612654734214/

Brightroid is my first attempt at an Android application. At the moment is allows you to either find your position, or search for it and submit it to Brightkite.

It's still at very early stages and buggy, but it's been fun to program.

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

The doomed voyage of the Obsessivo-Compulsivo will haunt me forever
An OpenGL renderer project that's turned into a viewport renderer plugin for Houdini:

Commander Keen fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 17, 2009

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hexadecimal posted:

IS anybody has experience with making Windows or linux screen savers? How hard would it be to convert GLUT app to a screen saver?
You can probably just rename it .scr and drop it in with the rest of the screensavers. I don't know about configuration settings, though, I'm sure if you looked on msdn you'd find what you need.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

You can probably just rename it .scr and drop it in with the rest of the screensavers.

I know that you can do that on 98, but in more recent OS's you'll just get an error message. MSDN is being unhelpful, but here is a third-party guide. It looks like you can't use GLUT to set up the window or register callbacks. Other than that, I imagine that the rest of your openGL code can stay intact.

julyJones
Feb 12, 2007

Stopped making sense.
Yay Space Invaders clone. :banjo:
Visually very simple but I put a lot of work into the foundation for it. The soft shadow on the top-left alien and the blue ship on the bottom come from interchangeable image processor objects, which is what I'm testing now.
I got the background off some wallpaper site.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
I'm working on a Roguelike.

My random dungeon builder is not quite how I like it, but it does work. Not NetHack level, but it's a learning project.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Please cut down on the random dead-end corridors or I am going to stab you in the face :emo:

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004

Vanadium posted:

Please cut down on the random dead-end corridors or I am going to stab you in the face :emo:

Yeah, like I said. It isn't great. It just works. :(

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Image search engines are :black101:. You guys will likely get another 'break/rape/pwn my webapp' thread in the next month or so.

http://www.omgitswebsite.com/HotSauce/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't work on the game as much as I'd hoped over winter break, but made some progress anyway. What I worked on today was implementing different renderers and making them "hot swappable."

This will be especially convenient in the editor, where editing in 2D mode is much easier than editing in 3D mode. (In these screenshots I disabled the background, since it's hard to distinguish the tiles from the background when it's on the image ripped from MC Kids.)

I'll also be making a renderer to display what the physics type of the tiles are, since it's currently impossible to tell. Hopefully I designed it well enough to be nothing more than a subclass of the 2D renderer and 2 or 3 method overrides. We'll see :)

It's also easy to add several different renderers attached to the same game thread. This would come in handy to create an "overview" window, where each tile is rendered to 1 pixel or something similar, like the thing you see in Photoshop.

Now I need to make these renderers render something pretty!