Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureDwight
Dec 20, 2008

Don't drink the coffee
I tend to prefer the griefing that doesn't really hamper a person's ability to play, but annoys the poo poo out of them for hours on end. In wow whenever Alliance is raiding Crossroads or Horde is raiding Westfall, I would always pick out one person from the raid and spam whatever annoying emote that I felt like. I would always use /cheer or /silly or something that made noise. The best was when I was a Tauren and used /moo because they actually mooed. I had an entire Ally raid emoting me to stop because I stood there for about 20 minutes spamming it. Nothing I could really do to stop the raid, but hopefully I ruined some people's funtimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
A new way to grief on Left4Dead: abuse the voice cues.

It is possible to set up multiple rosetta menus with toggles to *every* voice cue the characters have. So you could let out a dying scream in the safe room, etc.

The really creative way to do it... is to throw off your buddies. Play online. If you see a smoker, yell Boomer. If you see a Boomer, yell Hunter. Etc. etc. Confuses the living hell out of people. It's also fun to watch an entire party turn into Solid Snake when you yell WITCH.

Watched a friend of mine use the not-so-subtle technique of going online and running around with Zoey doing her death scream every few seconds. For those who don't know, it's really high pitched and LOUD. He managed to empty the entire server of players in something like two minutes, with the last guy shooting him in the back of the head as a farewell gift.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FutureDwight posted:

I tend to prefer the griefing that doesn't really hamper a person's ability to play, but annoys the poo poo out of them for hours on end. In wow whenever Alliance is raiding Crossroads or Horde is raiding Westfall, I would always pick out one person from the raid and spam whatever annoying emote that I felt like. I would always use /cheer or /silly or something that made noise. The best was when I was a Tauren and used /moo because they actually mooed. I had an entire Ally raid emoting me to stop because I stood there for about 20 minutes spamming it. Nothing I could really do to stop the raid, but hopefully I ruined some people's funtimes

See that's what I think real griefing is, pissing people off so much that their reactions (usually sheer rage) are hampering their ability to play more than your simple grief tactics.

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
I've tried a few different techniques for griefing since Left 4 Dead came out. So far, my favourite is Star Fox. Using These files with This program allows you to play the Star Fox 64 voices in game. This is especially good because some of the voices really seem made for L4D. Some of the bosses are pretty funny when you're playing a tank, such as Granga. Then again, you can also go through the entire dramatic spiel about how The evil Andross turned this once thriving system into a wasteland of near extinction. Well, with HLSS and the right selection of sounds, anything becomes possible. Johnny Cash and Aqua songs are also very effective.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well, my WoW griefing days have come to an end. After the last guild I cleaned out, someone finally bitched ennough to the right GM and my account got suspended. :sigh:

Honestly, if you give someone full take rights after two weeks just for doing a few free enchants and healing a few instances, you deserve whatever happens next. Pubbie gullability has paid for my flying mount and a metric ton of rep-grind items.

I blame goonfleet for my complete disdain of pubbies and an inability to feel remorse towards them.

That, and Barrens general chat.

Edit: Come to think of it, this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back:

Guild Leader: Why did you leave the guild?!
Me: Because you ran out of stuff.
GL: Are you kidding?
Me: No. </ignore>

Mail from GL's alt: "Why did you take all the items from the guild vault? We are expecting to be recompensed, either give the items back or pay for them in gold."
Me: "Hahahahahaha." <Sent COD for postage>

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 4, 2009

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, my WoW griefing days have come to an end. After the last guild I cleaned out, someone finally bitched ennough to the right GM and my account got suspended. :sigh:

That's kind of a wonder. In nearly all games i've played the GMs are slow and pretty much never do anything. It's part of why griefing in Second Life is so easy, because the most the GMs will do is just show up, stare at you, then leave.

By the way, uh... has your user title been changed on the sly? It sounds a bit :pedo:, I take it it's not meant to be like that?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I Said No posted:

That's kind of a wonder. In nearly all games i've played the GMs are slow and pretty much never do anything. It's part of why griefing in Second Life is so easy, because the most the GMs will do is just show up, stare at you, then leave.

By the way, uh... has your user title been changed on the sly? It sounds a bit :pedo:, I take it it's not meant to be like that?

Well, considerig the last guild I cleaned out was over three weeks ago, and it ws maybe the 9th or 10th guild vauls I'd cleaned out, I wouldn't exactly call it "Speedy"...

As for the title, I see it as a compromise between those who want to troll me and my intention of keeping the message clear. They get to snicker at how clever they are and I get to keep going with a slogan that isn't as bad as some of the other custom title changes I've gotten here on SA.

Castlevania
Aug 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I beat up someone over a game of Marvel vs. Capcom 2

This guy I played WoW with had this girlfriend who also played WoW. We ended up meeting in NYC and we slept together. He found out.

I think I win this thread.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
You need to spin an entertaining tale if you want to take the crown! Elaborate on both stories.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, so those guys in high school were just griefing me?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Castlevania posted:

I beat up someone over a game of Marvel vs. Capcom 2

This guy I played WoW with had this girlfriend who also played WoW. We ended up meeting in NYC and we slept together. He found out.

Awesome you should get an Oscar for this post.

HORSE RAPER
Mar 21, 2004

by WorstAyatollahEver
I saw a pretty good grief in Left 4 Dead during the chance I had to play it. There's a level which ends in a rooftop battle as the survivors wait for a helicopter to arrive. On that rooftop, there's a metal ramp which you can crouch under if you're stranded and need a defensible position. It turns out, though, that all four survivors can comfortably fit under there, and since the ramp is held up by girders on one side and bound by a wall on the other, there's only one way to reach the survivors, all of whom will be patiently training their guns on it. The Boomer's puke and the Smoker's tongue are useless, since a horde will still get stuck at the chokepoint and you can't pull a survivor through the side of the ramp. Hunter's can't even get an angle to pounce from without getting torn apart.

There is literally no way to get a competent group of survivors out of there short of some sort of miracle. Another Infected player got the Tank, and I could only watch in amazement as the Survivors plinked away at him as he struggled uselessly to get his bulk through the narrow mouth of the ramp. By the time he stepped back and finished his "I'm going to chuck a huge rock at you" animation, he was already dead from focused fire.

As frustrating as it was to play the Infected at the time, the screams of rage from the other players were so heartfelt and hilarious that I couldn't help but laugh.

Castlevania posted:

I'm starting to think that "I think I win" is likely to be the next bannable catchphrase.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FutureDwight posted:

That's why they added emotes to the /ignore functinality.. Like 3 or 4 years ago?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HORSE RAPER posted:

As frustrating as it was to play the Infected at the time, the screams of rage from the other players were so heartfelt and hilarious that I couldn't help but laugh.
The tank can fit under there easily and hit all 4 survivors, but the tank will die before he can attack a second time (maybe even before the first).

Another bullshit thing about the ramp is the survivor guns go through it but no infected attacks do.

Any how, the best L4D griefing I've found is repeatedly falling off a cliff. If you fall off once (or get pulled off) and then auto fall off again after you are picked up, people will pick you up a second time without questioning it. The trick is to then walk along for a bit normally, then fall off again while shooting a zombie or something. After the sixth time people start to get angry. Some people just keep picking you up, though.

It's still possible to skip the entire building in the first level in both the pc and xbox360 version. And while we're on the subject of jumping, you can jump on to a stairway on a building not normally climable and go up to that roof on one of the stages. A smoker at max range completely vertical in an alleyway can pull someone really well and be hard to hit (the survivors have to look almost straight up, can't see the tongue, and can't see the smoker due to the angle).

Another fun thing is to spawn in the safe room as an infected. Repeatedly walk over something that changes in height, maybe jump a bit, while left clicking. As long as normal spawn conditions are met you will spawn in. The only use I've found for it is the last level with the satellite dish. You can spawn in with a smoker and make a sick pull down the steep stairs + allow your team to have an assault before the roof. It works especially well vs organized teams, because they tend to blitz through that part.

edit: come to think of it, I think valve meant to disable jump in l4d because there's no way anyone who tested the game had a jump key

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 5, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HORSE RAPER posted:

I'm starting to think that "I think I win" is likely to be the next bannable catchphrase.
Why not simply make hubris the offense?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Laughing Beaker posted:

Watched a friend of mine use the not-so-subtle technique of going online and running around with Zoey doing her death scream every few seconds. For those who don't know, it's really high pitched and LOUD. He managed to empty the entire server of players in something like two minutes, with the last guy shooting him in the back of the head as a farewell gift.

Setting up a vocalize so it goes off at the same time as a pistol shot makes it even better. I found the funniest either bill's death (which is just him yelling) or him finding pills.

"PillspipipillpipillsPills over here. Pipipillspillspipipi.."

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Last time the survivors hid under the ramp, I got the Tank and basically went barreling under ramp with them and punched them all to death easily.

The best griefing i've found on L4D though, is with the suicide commands, either "kill" or "explode" in the console bound to a key. When on teams i've gotten tired of (ones who wont save you, whine, or generally be dicks) i'll wait for them to heal me, then instantly suicide as soon as they finish. Then I usually say something like "OH NO YOU DID IT WRONG", and normally get all manner of replies.

Also fun: Switching from infected to survivors, suiciding one of their bot characters, then switching back to infected. If they tty to votekick you? Jump back on survivor and suicide any other characters.

facerip
Apr 3, 2007
ra3map11 camping halls, people get so irate when you don't rush upper. By the time the enemy gets to you they are all damaged and easy for the pickings. Oh yeah and fagging it up with the railgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHu7vmYfqVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnQzGgVQbQ

NWN2 when it first came out there was only 1 persistant pvp server. Gate+friends.

http://churchofrofl.com/uploads/NWN2/NWN2_SS_111306_210329.jpg

facerip fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 5, 2009

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
L4D is unusually open to griefing for a game these days, probably because with any co-op game simply going AFK is enough to ruin a game so they don't bother with nanny rules to prevent griefing, if someone wants to ruin a game they can anyway.

In typical, uncreative L4D griefing fashion a guy on my team uses spawn exploits while playing infected then when our turn to play survivors comes he suicides then quits meaning the character is dead-dead not incapacitated but revivable. My two teammates are utterly confused at how someone could just drop dead like that in a saferoom, even outside the saferoom there is no way within game mechanics for a character to die instantly, so I pretend to be confused with them and walk up to his body saying "I don't know... He grabbed a gun here, he just walked up to this med cabinet and then-" followed immediately by myself suiciding on top of him.

My teammates started freaking out, then one slowly approached the med cabinet while the other yelled at him to just stay back, it was great. :roflolmao:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Sanctum posted:

L4D is unusually open to griefing for a game these days, probably because with any co-op game simply going AFK is enough to ruin a game so they don't bother with nanny rules to prevent griefing, if someone wants to ruin a game they can anyway.

In typical, uncreative L4D griefing fashion a guy on my team uses spawn exploits while playing infected then when our turn to play survivors comes he suicides then quits meaning the character is dead-dead not incapacitated but revivable. My two teammates are utterly confused at how someone could just drop dead like that in a saferoom, even outside the saferoom there is no way within game mechanics for a character to die instantly, so I pretend to be confused with them and walk up to his body saying "I don't know... He grabbed a gun here, he just walked up to this med cabinet and then-" followed immediately by myself suiciding on top of him.

My teammates started freaking out, then one slowly approached the med cabinet while the other yelled at him to just stay back, it was great. :roflolmao:

This is excellent.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trainmonk posted:

This is excellent.
Another thing about L4D is that (on console at least, I doubt it works on PC,) once a game begins, the only way you can be removed from the game is through voting, there is no host or anyone with admin permissions.. So if you join an Expert room and get kicked, then manually join the session again (since you can't quickly change room permissions,) you have plenty of time to kill 1 or 2 people before they can manage to get the vote rolling!

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
This is such a wonderful thread! I doubt I've played 10% of the games mentioned here, but my lord this stuff is hilarious.

The only griefing incident I can remember at the moment was halo 2 online. Blood Gulch big team battle deathmatch.

I jumped in a warthog and my friend on the turret. Some little kid on our team was asking to be picked up, but he was miles away so we drove off to harass the other team. He kept asking to be picked up and he followed on foot. I noticed he was still calling to us so whenever he got near to the warthog I would promptly drive to the other side of the map. I did this for the whole 11 minutes or so the game lasted. He really wanted to sit in the passenger seat and tear people up with his SMG the poor dear, but I couldn't help it. It was like he was magnetically attracted to the warthog and would just walk towards it automatically. I laughed for a long time afterwards about that.

duffath fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 7, 2009

FutureDwight
Dec 20, 2008

Don't drink the coffee

coyo7e posted:

That's why they added emotes to the /ignore functinality.. Like 3 or 4 years ago?

That's true, but not everyone uses those. I know I for one only ignore people that were idiots or jackasses towards me.

Another story that I failed to mention was when I was playing a Horde Warlock in WoW. I made a macro that made my character yell "CURSE!" everytime I cast Curse of Agony in reference to the ATHF episode with the mummy. I went into AB and put Curse of Agony on everything that came into range of me. I think I had everyone in that battleground yell at me and I'm sure most of them put me on their ignore list. I had everyone in Alliance specifically target me to get me to stop. It's amazing how just a few red letters can ruin people's enjoyment of a videogame

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
When I pubbie stomp with my friends on L4D we are usually destroying them, when we get to level 4 or 5 we ask them to offer up a sacrifice and we'll let them go. We ask them to incap one of their own in the safe room and leave them behind... sometimes they'll do it, lol

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

GetWellGamers posted:

Honestly, if you give someone full take rights after two weeks just for doing a few free enchants and healing a few instances, you deserve whatever happens next. Pubbie gullability has paid for my flying mount and a metric ton of rep-grind items.

I blame goonfleet for my complete disdain of pubbies and an inability to feel remorse towards them.

That, and Barrens general chat.

Edit: Come to think of it, this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back:

Guild Leader: Why did you leave the guild?!
Me: Because you ran out of stuff.
GL: Are you kidding?
Me: No. </ignore>

Mail from GL's alt: "Why did you take all the items from the guild vault? We are expecting to be recompensed, either give the items back or pay for them in gold."
Me: "Hahahahahaha." <Sent COD for postage>

How exactly did you violate the TOS?

World of Warcraft is even more of a pussified little cocoon of shite than I thought. Christ. My generation.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Simiain posted:

How exactly did you violate the TOS?

World of Warcraft is even more of a pussified little cocoon of shite than I thought. Christ. My generation.

I didn't, but in a game as sissified as WoW, if you bitch long enough loud enough eventually someone will do what you want just to be rid of you.

Azareil
Feb 24, 2004

It's the destiny of mortals.... Very well. Remember the greatness of my power!
I have a couple of stories but alas, most of mine are dwarfed...

1) On the UO:G Hybrid server there's a decent amount of players, most are horrible in every manner. One thing I remember doing was becoming friends with this 12 year old who was in my guild at the time. Nobody really liked him so I never got in trouble for doing this. I took him on a sight seeing tour which was to some hard to reach places that needed GM assistance, like a roof or something. I took him to a couple spots then we went to his house. He had a donation item, a $45 ethereal polar bear that was blessed as in, it couldn't be stolen. I said to the kid in Ventrilo, "Watch this... Put the polar bear in THIS empty pouch." So he does. Now, the bear itself cannot be stolen because it's blessed. But the pouch that he put the bear in is fair game. So as soon as it's in, I steal the pouch and remove the bear from it. Mean while, he's like "haha, that's awesome. Can I have it back?". I get on the bear and book it out of there.

2) On the Divinity server when a lot of the Goons went there, some of them built something called 'Goon Town' which was basically an area of land where every single house was owned by a Goon. I joined with my regular name of Grabin (thief of course) and got an idea. Everybody had their own custom tags beside their guild name so I had mine changed to [Guildmaster, SA]. Divinity was awesome for the ability to be able to steal house deeds off people. With my newfound power, I walked down the crowded streets of Britain to the jeers of "human being" at every turn. Random people would try and kill me just to say they killed the Guildmaster of SA. Of course, we were the biggest PK/Griefing guild there.

A lot of people would see that my title said Guildmaster and would ask to join, I said that they could join but they must place a house in Goontown to help us grow. It sounded completely legitimate. I took them back to our tower, where everybody was informed that we had a scam going on and wouldn't kill the person. I showed them where they could place a house and when they went and got the deed, either myself or another thief in the guild would be stealthing around waiting for them to try and place. The spot in general could NOT have a house placed but it looked like it could so as they're trying to place, I would steal the house deed and run away. At that point, the rest of the guild kills the person. I probably stole close to 10 house deeds this way.

3) I. Love. Deathgating. I caused many changes to be made to the Hybrid server due to my deathgates. One of the rooms at the bottom of Ophidian Keep was basically a big hallway surrounded by little rooms that had 5 Ophidian Knights in it, which would practically Insta-aggro and always hit with the most powerful poison in the game that would kill someone in a few seconds. I would gate into this room repeatedly and watch people literally die as soon as they walk in the gate. The most memorable moment is when someone went in with an extremely valuable piece of equipment and died, allowing me to loot it. A GM who was watching me came out of hiding and started mocking the other person.

4) For a short amount of time, I was made a Counsellor on UO Hybrid. Their powers were very tame compared to those of a GM for instance but I still found ways to abuse it. One of the commands I had access to was the [WHO list which brought up a page showing everybody who was in game and it gave me an option to pull them to me or go to them. At this time, every night there was something called Server Wars where you could do whatever you wanted for about 15 minutes and nothing would be saved. I would go down to a dungeon with the hardest monster in the game, I think it's called the Ancient Wyrm and would find the biggest PK's on the guild and pull them to me. Repeatedly. I pull them, they freak out and try running. Every time they move 5 feet, pulled right back. The Wyrm, now on fast approach kills with no difficulties. I would have a room full of ghosts either going "What fag is doing this?!" or "Haha, pull *so-and-so*" for the latter, I would happily oblige. I pulled entire guilds, one at a time until they all died. One night, the Counsellors were given GM powers. I spawned multiple Champions that had area of effect powers that would hit everyone for 50% of their health.... I spawned 60 of them in the most popular areas.

The conversation went like this... "Okay so if I give you GM powers for this server wars, don't summon a million monsters." I replied, "I won't." The Admin gives the powers, I immediately spawn the monsters. The Admin doesn't even bother trying to clean the mess up. I think I lasted for a total of 3 weeks before I was stripped of all my powers.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
This thread is absolutely epic. I started reading from the first page a week ago, and have been reading through it since then, and it also makes me wish I played more online games during the UO, EQ, early CS days. Some really good stories here that put the myg0t and GoronCity videos on Youtube to shame.

I love griefing games when others are being dicks or too uptight on a server. I really didn't get into really playing multiplayer stuff on the PC until Halo came out, which I promptly bought since it was a worthy successor to Goldeneye in the multiplayer department back in the 2002-2003 days.

It started out fun. It was really easy to find servers filling the 16-slot cap they had. 16-player Slayer or CTF matches with rockets on a map like Prisoner was chaotic fun. And then a few months in, various clans started getting a stick up their asses and would boot me and even sometimes ban me from their precious little servers for being in first place. I got so good with the pistol, I could kill pretty much anyone in 2-3 shots in any map if they didn't have an overshield, but apparently that's "hacking" or "cheating", but not when PwNz0RXxX from CLAN human being does the same thing to you.

Eventually, I got fed up with it and decided to have some REAL fun.

I started out with the usual stuff: if FF was on, I would shoot my teammates down to low health and would provoke them to kill me, which would ban them if the "3 TKs and you're out" rule was enabled. I would grenade people out of vehicles. I would intercept OUR flag carrier, and, being the gentleman I am, take the flag back to it's rightful owner. If FF was off, however, you could still have some fun. Why not not just grab the only Tank your team has, sit in a corner, and be useless! Switch teams to make the "EVEN THE loving TEAMS!!!" pubbie tears flow? Sure! Or, one of my favorites: when you're in a level with vehicles and narrow tunnels (Danger Canyon springs to mind), park a Warthog in there and go get a drink. Two minutes later, you'll find your entire team cursing you, trying to grenade you out of the way, and trying in vain to jump over your vehicle. To which I would simply tell them "DON'T WORRY GUYS I'M BLOCKING THEM!!"

Keep in mind this is Halo of all games, so you can imagine the bonus rage this game's community seems to have.

Speaking of Danger Canyon, I found out even better tricks. Danger Canyon is one of the new maps in the PC version: Imagine a big O carved through a mountain canyon, and place a tunnel between each base you could also use. So there was the tunnel route, and the outside route along the "O". Interesting thing was, even thought they've patched this game EIGHT TIMES the only thing seperating each base was a thin wall stopping the map from being a complete circle, so the bases were right next to each other. If you're timing was right, you could strafe into the wall with a ghost, clip through the wall, jump to the other side and you were right at the enemy's base. I got some really fast flag captures that way. It's way more common knowledge now, and here's a video of it: LINK

Probably my proudest moment is manipulating Halo's lovely rear end network code though. I used to have it just right on my last computer to where I could have something downloading in the background, try and play Halo as the download was going in the background, and I calibrated it just enough to where you would "skip around" on any given map and still play the game somewhat. You could run around, grab the flag, or jump in a vehicle and run people over, but you were lagging just enough that no one could shoot you. Imagine a lone master chief named "A BUNNY!!" skipping and frolicking along Blood Gulch past the enemy team, grabbing the flag, teleporting, and skipping right back to his base while a couple warthogs try to run him over, a couple others try to gun him down, AND a sniper keeps shooting at him and missing.

I single-handedly ruined CTF games this way. People would come loving unglued. "YOUR A loving human being CHEATER" and "WAY TO LAG rear end in a top hat" don't even scratch the surface.

I only have one screenshot from this one Slayer match with warthogs where I used the lag "trick". I literally ran everyone over and didn't die ONCE because no one could kill me. I finished 25-0 and everyone on the server was cursing my very existence. I did it over and over again lulling them on with comments like "HAHAHAHA NOOBS" and it just got them even more enraged. Why they didn't just leave is beyond me.

Halo: Where sweet, all-natural pubbie tears come from.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 17, 2009

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Azareil posted:

1) On the UO:G Hybrid server there's a decent amount of players, most are horrible in every manner. One thing I remember doing was becoming friends with this 12 year old who was in my guild at the time. Nobody really liked him so I never got in trouble for doing this. I took him on a sight seeing tour which was to some hard to reach places that needed GM assistance, like a roof or something. I took him to a couple spots then we went to his house. He had a donation item, a $45 ethereal polar bear that was blessed as in, it couldn't be stolen. I said to the kid in Ventrilo, "Watch this... Put the polar bear in THIS empty pouch." So he does. Now, the bear itself cannot be stolen because it's blessed. But the pouch that he put the bear in is fair game. So as soon as it's in, I steal the pouch and remove the bear from it. Mean while, he's like "haha, that's awesome. Can I have it back?". I get on the bear and book it out of there.

A fool and his $45 ethereal polar bear are soon parted.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Charles Martel posted:

:words:

That is hilariously awesome, and I wish I could have been around to see it happen.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Actually, writing that out makes me want to do it again, and FRAPS it this time, but I can't get the lag to work in my favor like I used to. If you get a constant download speed at a certain amount in the background, at least back when I had XP, you were untouchable. I try to have a torrent or two going in the background, but I either get too much lag or too little in Halo for it to work properly.

Does Vista handle network traffic differently, or is there some sort of program that can intentionally use bandwidth? I'll post some more hilarious adventures if I can get that working again.

Oh I forgot a couple more things I did to really piss people off:

In Team Slayer games, you can intentionally suicide and bring your team's score down. Imagine how much nerd rage there was when a team who was other wise doing good actually lost, and the scoreboard popped up with a result of something like 50 to -16 thanks to me "accidently" dropping grenades at my feet. Anything I can do to help, guyz!!

And on one Blood Gulch map when I was happily capping flags and being invincible, this one guy went off the deep end. God, I wish this game has voice-chat or I had a chat log because this guy went on a five-star rant screaming stuff like "OH HO HO LOOK AT THIS FAG LAGGING SO NO ONE CAN KILL HIM! I CAN DO THAT TOO I'LL BRB". So Mr. Hero here comes back in and basically lags himself and copies everything I do: One time he grabbed the flag, teleported, and almost got back to his base when I ran him over at the door, jumped out, and got the flag back. Then I would grab his flag, head back to my base, and here HE comes in a Warthog. However, he missed me, dies from a rocket shot, and I jump through the roof winning the game. I just looked down to see something like:

Douchebag: gently caress U U CHEATING FUCKER!!!!!!!!!
Douchebag quits.

I just smile thinking about him going into a rage and breaking his keyboard in half. So many good times.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
There's been a lot of talk about L4D in this thread already, but I have to harp on it again because it is truly an amazing pubbie griefing simulator. Despite so many people griefing in L4D you still have a huge number of serious players, co-op players, who are very bossy and easy to anger. And they all use mics.

Speed running is my new favorite form of griefing. L4D requires teamwork where 4 survivors fight against a horde of zombies, and there are some special zombies that take away your control and kill you if you don't have a teammate to get them off you, so going off alone is suicidal.

Speed running involves simply running ahead, triggering all sorts of panic events, fighting the boss solo, and trying to reach the end of the level by the time the rest of your team is finally leaving the saferoom. It's griefing in the sense that it makes them very angry, but at the same time you are clearing out an entire level (zombies will respawn but you did all the hard stuff) which makes it ridiculously easy for them, but they take forever anyway because people have to kill every zombie they see.

This is a kind of griefing that's skill intensive, fun, and actually helps the people you are griefing, but they get so angry. I wish I had some recordings of these people, they can start off friendly and helpful because they respond well to a cheery-toned voice responding to what the gently caress is Bubbles doing, a stark contrast to the usual tone these guys who either play L4D as a 2nd job or are roleplaying the zombie apocalypse, but certainly don't sound like they are having fun! The fact that I am doing everything on my own after they repeatedly tell me that I will die only makes them angrier, doubly so when I pretend to be completely clueless about what I am doing.

And there's the occassional badass moment where you pull something crazy off. Like during a panic event when I was shooting at a hunter about to jump me when a smoker pulled me into a fire and then the hunter jumped me in the fire (burning hunters do extra damage) but he must have been almost dead because he burned to death before he could kill me, resulting in the game telling me I saved myself. My teammates were certain I was cheating when they saw that I saved myself from a hunter.

It's fun even when you die.
:) "Bubbles did you drop a medkit when you died?"
:drac: 'Yessss. YESSSS! Follow the path of corpses and eventually you shall find mine!'

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I can still do that wall glitch I talked about above in Halo after all this time without even trying: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3944944391175750907

EDIT: More Halo fun for you guys since I was bored. This isn't triple-A rage, but I still caused a whole bunch of people to leave, get pissed, and got banned out of nowhere from a few servers.: Here's a video of how to quickly leave a server and come back quickly, which "resets" your TKs each time so you don't get auto-banned. Just hold F1, jot down the IP address in the lower right hand corner, go to "Direct IP" under multiplayer, type the IP in, and it stays there until you exit the game! Sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised how often I get asked how I do that.

Apparently people in Halo don't like it when you join their server as "A friend of the family", and throw grenades at them while singing in the chat window. :(

Click here for the full 1600x1032 image.

And I pissed off this poor guy Apollo on another server. Apparently spreading the word that The South Shall Rise Again! didn't click well with him, but he was actually MORE offended and pissed off that people were actually guarding the flag with a tank and driving through the tunnels. I was banned a few minutes after this shot because I sat in a warthog in the tunnels to "thwart the drat yankees", but I got banned.

Click here for the full 1600x1032 image.

Also, I joined a Christian server with my nametag and promptly got banned 3 seconds after I joined. Oopsies!

The easiest way to piss people off is to just hop in a Warthog, drive around their base, and run people over, over and over and over again though. Who knew?

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 17, 2009

FUCK YOU!!
Jan 13, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Another fun thing to do in Halo would be to continually kill your teammates by driving a warthog at them and jumping out so the game wouldn't blame you for it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Halo :words:

I tried this game out once and good lordy was it a bad experience. Every single server had their own lovely rules or restrictions and the whole drat server would flip their lid if you broke one.

I went on blood gulch to find that this server had a "NO SHEEZ!!" rule, loudly proclaimed in its server title, alright I think, well lets-CRACK-BOOM. Sniper got me the second I spawned. Both teams had seriously all gotten sniper rifles and camped out the others base, not one person moved an inch. So I grabbed a banshee and slaughtered each and every person on the server, to crys of "NO SHEE NOOB" and "WTF" and so on. It was surprising how utterly unhinged people because if you messed up their (incredibly boring) plans even a little in that game.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
The canals level of Team Fortress Classic was fantastic for griefing. It's a shame Team Fortress 2 removed the spy's feign death ability, and the medic's infection ability, because those things really made the game for me. Running around your base when you got infected by a medic, was always guaranteed to get a good reaction.

The canals level was great, because you could get into the enemy team spawn. Either by using a concussion grenade to jump in as a medic, or being fast enough to get through the door when someone left it.

People would get so annoyed if you repeatedly waited outside the door to the enemy spawn as a medic, and infected them as they opened the door. It was especially good if you could get someone on the other team in on it, as they'd let you in, and run about infecting their team mates.

Another good thing to do, was to feign death as a spy in the enemy spawn area (disguised as a member of the other team), and repeatedly backstab people as they spawned. Good times.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I tried this game out once and good lordy was it a bad experience. Every single server had their own lovely rules or restrictions and the whole drat server would flip their lid if you broke one.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I can't be bothered playing PC games any more. There's almost always some set of arbitrary rules that you're not allowed to break, usually put in place by clan players who think they have the right to dictate how everyone else plays the game.

That said, it can be quite good fun to make up your own arbitrary rules, and shout at people for breaking them.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Pleads posted:

Another awesome aspect of this is that if you do it without anyone noticing, it takes a long, long time before the whole group of angry mobs reaches your party, thus making it that much more confusing when suddenly you have 50 orcs and dogs romping around.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but this is equally viable in Razorfen Downs with the spiral-like center room. Right before you fight the first mini-boss (some spider thing), you can shoot out to the mobs below you, potentially aggroing dozens upon dozens of skeletons and pig people.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In World of Warcraft there's a mammoth mount which lets you carry two passengers. I was sat in a low level area (Duskwood) on it and a level 27 asked for a ride, so I invited him. He hopped on and didn't have the good sense to hop off again when he saw me riding towards Deadwind Pass (level 50+ area).

I safely guided us around the enemies who tried to attack him to a very high bridge near the instance Karazhan. I then jumped off the bridge and ejected him from his seat at the apex of my leap, from where he fell to his death. The fall killed my mount, but within 5 seconds I'd summoned it again and rode off.

Giganticus
Oct 15, 2005
Essentially, L4D has a messy physics system. It's designed so that physics objects can hurled or knocked towards the survivor by a tank, which pretty much always incapacitates them. Hitting people with a forklift truck tends to hurt, after all.

But it's a bit glitchy. One such bug was the ability to make your opponents fall through elevators by throwing physics objects at them. This meant that I and a few of my friends spent the first half of No Mercy 4 - a map with an elevator that goes up 24 floors or so - looking for an Oxygen tank or Grenades to throw at our pubbie teammates. Telling them knock knock jokes with the punchline being an oxygen tank in the face was a particular favourite. One of my videos of it here, unfortunately without a joke (not a great vid tbh). This eventually got boring and of course popular and then fixed by valve.

Here's my new favorite: only a slight movement is required to incapacitate someone with a physics object. A tank punching a car blocking a door frame might not notably move it but it might move slightly forward an inch or so, and any stupid survivor standing behind it will receive a slight tap that will cripple and knock them to the floor. So...

On No Mercy 3 there is a shootable Gas Station, shooting it makes a large explosion that blows the entire building apart, and kills anything near it. This has it's own griefing possibilities (see a teammate by the Gas Station, you know what to do). But, in this section of the level is a button you have to press to raise an elevator required to get to the next area; this button however summons a horde of zombies. Inside a garage nearby, there is a single parked car that moves about half a foot to the side from the blast wave although survivors themselves are unharmed by the actual explosion at this range. The garage itself is fairly secluded, which makes the grief more believable to the pubbies.

Convince a team of pubbies that the best place to make your stand against the horde is upon the roof of this car. Tell them you're going to go press the lift button and that you'll be back soon. Jump off, run out of garage, shoot gas station, kill your entire team. Or alternatively in Versus stay on the car and shoot out the window to prematurely end the round. Like this.

Giganticus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Giganticus posted:

Essentially, L4D has a messy physics system. It's designed so that physics objects can hurled or knocked towards the survivor by a tank, which pretty much always incapacitates them. Hitting people with a forklift truck tends to hurt, after all.

But it's a bit glitchy. One such bug was the ability to make your opponents fall through elevators by throwing physics objects at them. This meant that I and a few of my friends spent the first half of No Mercy 4 - a map with an elevator that goes up 24 floors or so - looking for an Oxygen tank or Grenades to throw at our pubbie teammates. Telling them knock knock jokes with the punchline being an oxygen tank in the face was a particular favourite. One of my videos of it here, unfortunately without a joke (not a great vid tbh). This eventually got boring and of course popular and then fixed by valve.

Here's my new favorite: only a slight movement is required to incapacitate someone with a physics object. A tank punching a car blocking a door frame might not notably move it but it might move slightly forward an inch or so, and any stupid survivor standing behind it will receive a slight tap that will cripple and knock them to the floor. So...

On No Mercy 3 there is a shootable Gas Station, shooting it makes a large explosion that blows the entire building apart, and kills anything near it. This has it's own griefing possibilities (see a teammate by the Gas Station, you know what to do). But, in this section of the level is a button you have to press to raise an elevator required to get to the next area; this button however summons a horde of zombies. Inside a garage nearby, there is a single parked car that moves about half a foot to the side from the blast wave although survivors themselves are unharmed by the actual explosion at this range. The garage itself is fairly secluded, which makes the grief more believable to the pubbies.

Convince a team of pubbies that the best place to make your stand against the horde is upon the roof of this car. Tell them you're going to go press the lift button and that you'll be back soon. Jump off, run out of garage, shoot gas station, kill your entire team. Or alternatively in Versus stay on the car and shoot out the window to prematurely end the round. Like this.

I just did this and it works perfectly. Everyone was running over to the door to do the glitch. I yelled "that doesn't work anymore, but I know another glitch" and I told them how infected couldn't get on the car. We go boomed but I could still make out the gas station and blew it up. So yeah, thats pretty much my new favorite grief.

• Locked thread