Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobblehead Biddy
Nov 6, 2008

Then I will sit here consumed with lust for the rest of the evening!
Agreeing with what everyone else has been saying. I don't regret my bun at all, but I certainly didn't know what I was getting myself into when I got him. He was a split purchase between myself and my roommate, who unfortunately just wanted something cute, cuddly, and low maintenance. Neither of us realized what a commitment it would be, and I've had to pick up the slack. Reading this thread has saved me (and my bun, for that matter), but only because I have the time and dedication to devote to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I still really enjoy my rabbit, probably because he's part bonzai tree. I HAVE to handle and trim him, which I think makes him more tolerant.

Though I did just drop a lot more money on a vet visit and antibiotics. That's something I don't enjoy :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting Momiji; a friend of mine had recently grabbed him from a neglectful home (his meth-head sister-in-law's), and since my friend had a boxer puppy, it was a very high stress place for Mo. So my friend called me to see if I would like him. Oh boy, a 4 or 5 year old poop machine!

Even as a kid, I was never into rabbits. I liked my guinea pigs and small mice and rats: animals I could hold. But I felt sorry for the bun, and figured if it didn't work out, gently caress, I worked at a zoo then, someone would take him! So I take Momiji home (about a week later I ended up with a rescue cat, so Xmas 2 years ago was very full!). And at first he stayed in his cage most of the day; he didn't trust me and would run, and since the cat CJ was new, I tried to keep them separate. I distinctly remember chasing the poor terrified Momo around the house with a broom, trying to keep him from CJ, and the cat running as well (away from me!).

But then one day I figured gently caress it, if he gets out of his cage again (I still don't know how he did), he's on his own. And once he had free reign of the house, he calmed down a lot. He and the cat got on great (until he started trying to boink her), and he never chewed on anything. He was a demanding little cuss, and would always greet me at the couch when I came home, and wanted to be pet and scratched around his ears. He was never a cuddly bun, but he does still love contact, and if I didn't have carpet everywhere now, and didn't live with my mom and her large dogs, he'd have free range again.

Cowslip would not. He's one of those Look, No Touch rabbits. He hates being picked up, getting his nails trimmed, getting any meds. He doesn't even like being pet. But he does realize now that people give him goodies and treats if they can pet him, so he does sometimes sit still. I got him from a friend who was trying to breed purple-eyed rabbits; Cowslip has blue. Even as a baby he didn't like handling; in hindsight, I could have trained him better to at least take nail clipping! The only other downside is that Momiji is loving crazy about him, and Mo, a tiny lop, is the boss of the much larger Cowslip.

Cowslip's also caused, at my own home, when I lived there, about $500 worth of electric cord damage from everything from fish tank heaters and filters to fans to my phone cord. He somehow shredded an under-tank heater too. Momiji I can trust not to eat anything, but Cowslip seems to like those forbidden fruits the best.

Compared to all my other pets, I have to say that only the sugar gliders were more work. Even my fish tanks are not that much work. The tortoises and exotic crabs are easier.

That said, I love my fuzzbunns, even if they don't care back.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Baitu posted:

There are some rabbits not like this? Still I find it worth it most days.

Bowser is a total cuddleslut, though she really prefers you sit on the floor to shower her with snuggles rather than try to spoon her on the couch. Occasionally she will hop up there for a nice cuddle, but most of the time she's just looking for food or playing with a blanket. She's also totally fine being held, though she used to kick our arms to shreds when she was younger. Through lots of persistence and bandaids, she now actually likes being held occasionally.

On the other hand, she did cost us our security deposit on our old place by chewing on the walls, putting MASSIVE holes in the carpet, and generally destroying the place. Despite our best efforts to block her access to everything electical, we probably had to replace 10 or so mice, 5 keyboards, and countless phone cords. I think a printer cable and some speakers were in there, too. I have no idea how many lamp cords I spliced. Thankfully, she also grew out of that and now keeps away from cables.

Like several others in this thread, I don't regret having a bunny, but I don't think I'll have another rabbit after she's gone. I love them, but even the best behaved bunnies are total pains in the rear end sometimes.

On that note, recently Bowser has completely abandoned the idea of litterboxes. She literally poops and pees RIGHT NEXT TO her boxes. We move the boxes, she continues to just piss and poo poo next to them. If we see her do it and yell at her, she'll immediately jump into the box and sit there for awhile. The second we're out of the room, she's pooping outside of it again. What the gently caress, rabbit? We tried getting her new boxes, no improvement. I talked to a few people about it who recommended I restrict her space so that she's forced to either poop in the box or lie in her poo, so I did. A month later, the box is still clean, and she's laying in her own waste. I don't get it. She's clearly not senile, nor is she arthritic. She still chases the cats around and has no problem jumping anywhere else, so it's not like she can't make the 5 inch hop into the boxes. I'm convinced she's just trying to make me angry. Any suggestions?

Here's the big goober in question, being manhandled by yours truly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I started with one bunny, now I have 3.
first rabbit bubbles, I got young and handled him constantly, only thing he hates is being snatched from his cage for exercise time.
my youngest female bunny buttercup some sort of dwarf mix hates getting scooped up and will grunt/attack(still cute!) if you don't show her who you are.
my newest bunny is a medium sized tortoise lop and is a total cuddle monster.

took them to all get fixed last week for a total of $800, now I'm working creating a blob of bunny's.

lots of work but worth it if you love bunny's.
I'll get some new pictures up when they have bonded.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I find the biggest reason why rabbits are anti-social is because they are not handled enough and they're not free range. I personally feel that you really don't start to see a rabbit's personality until they can do what they want all day long. When you're stuck in a cage, exploring is way too much fun and humans will be ignored. My two are extremely social, they were hanging out with the 14 people I had at my place on New Years. But I make sure they are paid attention to every single day without fail. Since they're free range they come to me when they want attention and it works out well. Obviously you can't just bring a rabbit home and throw them in the house and expect it to work, but if you work up to no cage it's well worth the effort. Mine don't chew, dig, or get themselves into trouble now either; Ender is 2 1/2 and Portia is 1, so they're not senior by any stretch either.

I also trained mine that I will pick them up when I need to. I rarely do it, but they know not to fight when I do. I felt this way because I live in CA and if a fire happened very suddenly, I need to grab and go, not spend 10 min chasing rabbits around.

I know this is also controversial but the rescue I got Ender from showed me how to do it: when one of them is having a particularlly pissy day and is being a grouch, I flip them on their backs and gently hold them like that for a few min. They learn real fast to just relax and not fight it. Some people don't like that method and I'm not saying it's right for every bunny, but it did show mine that I'm boss and I'll be a very nice lady until one of them starts acting up.

Just my 2 cents.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I love my bunnies, don't get me wrong, I'm just pretty certain that my husband's dreams of falling asleep holding Mocha like a stuffed toy are never going to happen. I'm willing to interact with them on their terms, and I can deal with sporadic displays of affection. Mostly I'm content to watch them play and cuddle together - so cute.

Bunway Airlines posted:

I find the biggest reason why rabbits are anti-social is because they are not handled enough and they're not free range. I personally feel that you really don't start to see a rabbit's personality until they can do what they want all day long.

Probably true, I know I have a pretty lovely attitude when other people are controlling my schedule and activities :devil:. On the other hand, rabbits, just like people, all have different personalities. Mocha is a lot more cuddly than Creme, and one of my pigs loves pets and the other one freaks out when I touch her. It's certainly a combination of nature and nurture. We're looking for a house right now, and we're planning for an area/extra room that the bunnies can be free range in.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Lady Bug posted:

My Peter (not very creative I know but I loved the Beatrix Potter stories :3: ).

his claim to fame: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/02/post.html

He likes to sleep in funny positions, it's really adorable. :3:

He doesn't like to be picked up but loves a good petting on the forehead. He hates getting his nails clipped and hates me for a while if I try. I can't trance him and the Bunny Burrito doesn't work. The other day I managed to clip a few of his nails and gave him a strawberry as a peace offering. I think he's okay with me now. :)

The best thing about Peter is that he figured out the whole litter box deal from the very beginning. He's always pooped and peed in the box, I didn't have to train him or leave him hay in the box or anything. It was really awesome.

Edit: OP I think Lucy might be a French Lop but Jack looks more like a Mini Lop (German Lop).

This was probably asked already, but what breed is that grey bunny? It's the cutest creature I've ever seen lol! :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

I love my bunnies, don't get me wrong, I'm just pretty certain that my husband's dreams of falling asleep holding Mocha like a stuffed toy are never going to happen. I'm willing to interact with them on their terms, and I can deal with sporadic displays of affection. Mostly I'm content to watch them play and cuddle together - so cute.

Probably true, I know I have a pretty lovely attitude when other people are controlling my schedule and activities :devil:. On the other hand, rabbits, just like people, all have different personalities. Mocha is a lot more cuddly than Creme, and one of my pigs loves pets and the other one freaks out when I touch her. It's certainly a combination of nature and nurture. We're looking for a house right now, and we're planning for an area/extra room that the bunnies can be free range in.

Definately. When Portia and Ender were dating I picked her because she was very forward with humans and I like that in a bunny. Some are much more shy but they warm up :) I need to post a video of mine when I pet them. They turn into fat bunloafs :3:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I don't suppose a bunny exists who is all good personality traits with no drawbacks. My friend's bunny is incredibly affectionate and cuddly, will snuggle up to you when you're sleeping, and so on. But also insists on constantly peeing right next to her litterbox and will just about gnaw your hand off if you dare stick it in her cage to feed her. Don't even get me started on when she wants attention that you're not giving her. She'll trash her cage, the living room, will bite and dig at your feet, jump right in your face, and so on.

My Billy on the other hand will struggle for dear life if you ever dare to try and pick him up, rarely seems to be in the mood for getting much attention, but would never want to hurt you and also has great litterbox habits. Plus he's always really happy to see me (even when I'm not feeding him), jumping around my feet like some kind of puppy.

Personally I think I got the better deal.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

I have some terrible news my red Mini Rex has passed away. He left us much too soon and we were very sad. Its really a guessing game of how he died, I had to go out of town for a week and left him in the care of my dad, whom had taken care of one of our first rabbits so I figured he could handle the task. When I got home the kit was outside, dead. I don't know why he put him outside, but I am sure that if he had stayed inside he would still be alive.

I am currently in the hunt for another red rex, as it just doesn't seem right now when I look at my 2 buns, I expect to see 3 all cuddling together. :(

In other news, I am moving back to school after taking a semester off. I live in a house so I will be taking my rabbits with me. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or instructions on how to build the "storage cube" cage. I plan to build one when I get up there Thursday.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

munchies posted:

In other news, I am moving back to school after taking a semester off. I live in a house so I will be taking my rabbits with me. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or instructions on how to build the "storage cube" cage. I plan to build one when I get up there Thursday.

I'm pretty sure its some where in this thread, But drat this thread is long. Check out the "Check out my pigs new digs" thread they have some awesome C&C cages in that one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3048807&pagenumber=1#pti11

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

munchies posted:

I have some terrible news my red Mini Rex has passed away. He left us much too soon and we were very sad. Its really a guessing game of how he died, I had to go out of town for a week and left him in the care of my dad, whom had taken care of one of our first rabbits so I figured he could handle the task. When I got home the kit was outside, dead. I don't know why he put him outside, but I am sure that if he had stayed inside he would still be alive.

I am currently in the hunt for another red rex, as it just doesn't seem right now when I look at my 2 buns, I expect to see 3 all cuddling together. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you aren't too mad at your dad, although maybe smack him on the head a few times. As far as a cube cage goes, I personally don't recommend using the corner pieces they give you with the cubes. Zip ties are far more versatile and are stronger. Here is the guide I made when I was making my cage, hope it helps:
http://playingwithmadness.com/blog/?p=49
(on my lovely, lovely site)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

munchies,

With regard to the storage cube cages, rabbits will be more happy in a simple, open style floorplan than in a multi-floor habitat. Since, we all know, they enjoy just running around like little freaks and just hopping around. My two are in a large 6x4x2 cube enclosure with a dividing wall in the middle. Debbie has a loft that was part of her original cage design, and I didn't feel like taking it out. She rarely uses it. The entire spread is on a 5'x7' area rug and takes up a little less than half of the bedroom. I opted not to use coroplast flooring(which I may get in spring) when I made it because they both slide around on smooth surfaces and I feared broken limbs.

This is as clean as it gets. I went to dinner and when I came back they had everything messed up again. As you can hopefully see, each has a litterbox, hay box, hides, plenty of toys and tiles to chill on. It's not pretty, but they seem to like it just the same.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Windy posted:

With regard to the storage cube cages, rabbits will be more happy in a simple, open style floorplan than in a multi-floor habitat. Since, we all know, they enjoy just running around like little freaks and just hopping around.

I think I'm going to rebuild with just a single level. Even though Creme hops up to the second shelf all the time, she always seems very hesitant/scared hoping down. I'm afraid it has to do with her ruby eyes and not being able to see as well.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I was worried that Debbie would have trouble hopping up and down from the loft with her dainty little Barbie doll feet so I bent a grid in half and tied part of a straw mat on top. You can kinda see that by her litterbox. She rarely uses it to hop up and down from her loft area, but loves to lay down beneath it. Silly rabbit has 4 hides and loves that step more than any of them.

If Debbie and Murphy ever learn to be pals, I'd love to remove the wall between them and build a ramp to an upper deck over half of the cage for cuddle-fests and sleeping. Their floor space is still a bit cramped for my liking :/

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

munchies posted:

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or instructions on how to build the "storage cube" cage. I plan to build one when I get up there Thursday.

As a warning, If your rabbits are as evil as mine, just putting carpet down underneath their cage (like Windy) can be dangerous. One day I came home to find that they had chewed down through their carpet and had moved onto the real carpet :(. Now there is a layer of plywood between their carpet and the permanent stuff.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah, if you've got carpet munchers you'll need to use coroplast or something similar. I actually have a layer of cardboard and a plastic tablecloth beneath that area rug, just in case. But both rabbits have scratched at the rug and started to pull up some string in a few places. Better the rug than the apartment carpeting. Neither one is really a burrower, but once in a while they get the crazies and try to paw on everything. I'd like to make a box of sorts, like people use for ferrets, but friendly for rabbits. But I'm not sure that the "edible" packing peanuts are safe or even fun for rabbits to play in.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Its funny, my rabbits are almost constantly on the top floor of their cage, they love it up there! It's possible that they want to stay farther away from the litterboxes though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Kind of worried about our rabbit at the moment.

Came home today in the afternoon to let her out of her cage. Usually she springs right out and hops around, today she just kind of laid in bed and only hopped to other spots of the cage to lay down. Normally ferocious for her pellet treats in the afternoon, she sniffed them once and then layed back down.

We saw her poop twice in the cage, but since the afternoon all she wants to do is get away from us and sprawl out with her hind legs out under the dresser or bed. She has been relaxing like that all day, still hasn't eaten any more hay or pellets, and isn't taking to attention or petting (she just gets up, goes elsewhere, and lays down). Normally she's insatiable to be pet and cuddled with, and this morning she was just her usual self jumping onto the bed and snuggling/grooming.

The fact that she pooped makes me think she's not blocked up, and now she won't even eat a slice of apple (her favorite treat). Is this a normal thing, just a crabby day, or could she possibly be sick? Kind of worried at the moment :ohdear:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Take her in, trust me, you really don't want to test it. The fact that she pooped may be a good thing, but if you've never seen this before, something is up. Especially if she didn't eat pellets. I've never seen a rabbit turn them down... I'd really recommend a stability check by a vet. When I had Annie's emergency, the vet said if I'd waited another 6-10 hours she'd have been gone. I don't want you to panic but in my limited opinion it's not worth it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

We're taking her in first thing tomorrow morning. Her ears are a little cold and given it's been so drat cold in Chicago (single digits the past two days), and she only recently started this in the afternoon, we're going to try and warm her up. I'll give a status update in the morning.

Edit: We put a heating pad on the bed and put her up there, she sniffed it once and crawled under and is now sleeping under it without being so fidgety, hopefully it helps while I turn the heat up in the house.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 14, 2009

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I hope she'll be ok Fenarisk. I had a scare with Debbie a few months ago and it turned out to be nothing serious. She does on occasion stop eating for a night, but it's mostly due to angsty attitude. If I do something she doesn't like(such as relocating her to a carrier while cleaning cages), she goes on a hunger strike until I've gone to bed. The next day it's like sparkles and sunshine again.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I have to give Lewis oral antibiotics twice a day. I had been doing this by forcing him into the bunny burrito, then kind of craddling him with one arm and maneuvering with the other. He tolerated the medication well in the beginning, but as this treatment continues (3 weeks!) he's more fidgety and less cooperative. He's mad at me aftwards. I do this twice a day, so he pretty much hates me all the time. He won't eat it if I just put it in his food.

Do you guys have any suggestions? He loooooved the cipro he was on before and would try to suck the medication out of the syringe. Anyone aware of some sort of bunny crack I can add?

I worry I'm damaging his temperament with this. He's tolerating grooming less and less and barely comes out of his cage :( I doubt all the sneezing and eye crusties are pleasant either.

Update: Just gave him this evenings medication. He got angry near the end and like, growl/honked at me. wtf

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 14, 2009

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I forget what I had to give Debbie that she loved so much, it must have tasted like candy. She'd attack the syringe to get at its contents without being in a burrito. To get her to eat the Critical Care mash(which was never entirely successful) I mixed in some banana baby food. You could maybe try that or the carrot flavor.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well, our rabbit seems better but we're taking her to the vet anyways. We kept the heating pad and blankets on her for a few hours and just petted her and tried to keep her comfortable. Suddenly out of nowhere she shot up at like 1 am and was bounding around like normal. We brought her pellets up on the bed and she started eating some, though her stomach was gargling really loud. We finally left the room temperature higher than normal and let her go back in her cage where she drank some water too.

This morning she was anxious to get out of the cage, even jumping up on the bed and giving us some grooming. All her pellets were gone and a decent amount of her water, but the one unusual thing is that there were some very, very small poop pellets mixed in with normal ones in the cage and in her corner litter box. I read that could be a GI problem, so not sure if the heat or relaxing helped but she seems better now and is once more ravenous.

Hopefully the vet agrees she's better too when she's taken in this morning.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

And the culprit is...GI Statis!

Apparently the grumbling tummy and constant flip flopping was her getting her GI tract back up and running, and is normal for them to spring up wanting food once it gets going again. The vet said it was good we caught it so early, so there was no serious problem. She got some IV fluids and a shot this morning but got a clean bill of health after pooping a normal pellet at the vet. Just have to watch her now and make sure she recovers from the stress.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.

Windy posted:

I forget what I had to give Debbie that she loved so much, it must have tasted like candy. She'd attack the syringe to get at its contents without being in a burrito. To get her to eat the Critical Care mash(which was never entirely successful) I mixed in some banana baby food. You could maybe try that or the carrot flavor.

Probably Baytril. My rabbits love that stuff, or at least Hazel does. Kiwi hates everything, ever. Bright pink, smells kinda like strawberry?

Critical Care is such a nightmare to feed (although Hazel, of course, eats it out of a spoon) Baby food works sometimes and I also found that a little fruit juice (sugar free) is slightly helpful.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Tricknee Hacksaw posted:

Probably Baytril. My rabbits love that stuff, or at least Hazel does. Kiwi hates everything, ever. Bright pink, smells kinda like strawberry?

Critical Care is such a nightmare to feed (although Hazel, of course, eats it out of a spoon) Baby food works sometimes and I also found that a little fruit juice (sugar free) is slightly helpful.

Probably that, and some other substance that was kind of amber colored. After all medicating was finished she'd still look for the syringe so I had to ween her off it by filling it with water. She's such a dork. But yeah, Critical Care feedings were wretched. No matter how secure she was in that towel burrito, she'd wiggle out. Every feeding she ate maybe 1/20 of what the vet suggested she consume and I'd end up wearing quite a bit of it from her spitting it out. Luckily for me, she began eating hay after coming home, and pellets shortly after. I was really pissed off about spending over 4 hours at the e-vet with her, but also happy that it wasn't stasis or anything.

Rabbits :rolleyes:

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Windy posted:

But yeah, Critical Care feedings were wretched.

Yeah we ended up with Critical Care on our ceiling, on the walls, on me... Kiwi would shake her head really violently with her mouth open. Yeah.
We finally just stopped forcing it on her, because it was stressing her out a whole lot and we were afraid it would make her worse. Fortunately, she started eating on her own a day after we stopped with the CC. Thank God, that was a serious mess.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Feed my rabbit this pink strawberry goop when he was backed up and stopped eating.
would cradle him on his back petting his forehead, He hates all medicine but I found putting a bit on his lip or just outside his mouth made him lick it off with his tongue.

my other two loved this honey flavored pain medicine from when they where fixed, I just let them lick it off the syringe.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Windy posted:

Yeah, if you've got carpet munchers you'll need to use coroplast or something similar. I actually have a layer of cardboard and a plastic tablecloth beneath that area rug, just in case. But both rabbits have scratched at the rug and started to pull up some string in a few places. Better the rug than the apartment carpeting. Neither one is really a burrower, but once in a while they get the crazies and try to paw on everything. I'd like to make a box of sorts, like people use for ferrets, but friendly for rabbits. But I'm not sure that the "edible" packing peanuts are safe or even fun for rabbits to play in.

I'm at the point where I think I"m going to have to look for something other than carpet for the bunny house myself. We just CANNOT stop our mini from chewing on the carpet... she's even figured out she can chew it without pulling on it if she really doesn't want to get caught, but usually she does it as loud and as open as possible. She's dug through her cage carpet in a few places (have grass mats under there for the time being)... the only REALLY bad time is when we attached the playpen and she starts eating the real carpet.

It's really frustrating and I feel like she ends up not getting enough run time because I'm constantly having to put her up to stop her, which means the other bun doesn't get much run time either as he will freak out if he can't get to her at any given time.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

GoodApollo posted:

I'm at the point where I think I"m going to have to look for something other than carpet for the bunny house myself.

If you find something that works for you, please, please let me know. I understand your pain.

Tricknee hacksaw posted:

http://leithpetwerks.com/

Thanks for the link. I thought I'd offer my bunnies review on some of the stuff we bought:

BH300-1 $29.95 Maze Haven: it took a week, but now Mocha likes to rest in it. So do the cats

FLT110 $4.30 Willow Ball - Large: fun to roll, yummy

TC500 $3.68 Billy's Big Brown Bag Lunch (Pinecones): yummy

TY133 $3.99 Petwerks Fling Ring - Jingle Bell Stars: lame

TY211 $2.77 Petwerks Funbell Chew Toy with chew rings: chew rings yummy, easy to pick up

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Hullo!

I have a English Angora fixed male named Sherbet, no current pictures as he's got a hideous persistent mat under his chin that he flatly refuses to let me get at to pick out. Next week, though, I'll just burrito him and take it out anyway.

He's the mellowest bunny possible, he loves to be cuddled and only ever got upset at us once when he managed to get a snarl in his fur so badly over the course of one night that we had to trim all the fur on one haunch down to the skin. He did NOT appreciate his haircut, but all was forgiven a few days later. He's never bitten or anything. CHILLEST BUNNY IMAGINABLE

Anyway. He's a BIG fucker these days and is swiftly outgrowing the cage we get him, which was the largest sub-$100 cage they had at the pet store. I'd like to build him a cube cage thing but the cube bits seem abnormally expensive at Target - something like $14 for 23 pieces, I figure to make the size I'd want to make I'd need at LEAST 2-3 packages. What's the cheapest place to get the cube bits? Apologies if this was already answered and I missed it.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

PopeCrunch posted:

I'd like to build him a cube cage thing but the cube bits seem abnormally expensive at Target - something like $14 for 23 pieces, I figure to make the size I'd want to make I'd need at LEAST 2-3 packages. What's the cheapest place to get the cube bits?

That's a pretty normal price, unfortunately. Sometimes you can find those boxes on sale for $12, but that means a long wait-and-see process. Some people have found them at CostCo, Sam's Club, etc, in 50 cube boxes for about $20, but the ones near me have never had them. I've very occasionally scored them from Goodwill/craigslist; speaking of such, you may also be able to find a cheap dog exercise pen from one of those that might suit him. :)

Also, I would like to see floofy bunny pics if you got 'em.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

alucinor posted:

That's a pretty normal price, unfortunately. Sometimes you can find those boxes on sale for $12, but that means a long wait-and-see process. Some people have found them at CostCo, Sam's Club, etc, in 50 cube boxes for about $20, but the ones near me have never had them. I've very occasionally scored them from Goodwill/craigslist; speaking of such, you may also be able to find a cheap dog exercise pen from one of those that might suit him. :)

Also, I would like to see floofy bunny pics if you got 'em.

We found all our cubes at Hudson's/Dirt Cheap... like a dollar a box.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Baitu posted:

Thanks for the link.

Oh awesome, I'm glad you checked it out. They seem like a nice company. And I'm glad your bunnies liked most of the stuff!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

So my friend's rabbit totally loves me, it's almost weird. Whenever she spots me she'll drop whatever she was doing and race over to demand petting and attention. If I sit down she'll sit in my lap or crawl all over me and lick my clothes, if I stand up she'll follow me around the house with very happy bunny hops. I don't think an animal has ever liked me this much, not even my own rabbit.

It's probably because I smell like rabbit, but still... it's darn cute.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Any possibility of bonding two females who currently go into Attack mode the second they see each other?

When ever try and fight, one or both release this weird Oder as well.

Right now my one female is bonded with my male rabbit.(almost no grooming yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Okay, as I said a few posts up one of my buns has started chewing carpet a lot. She's also started humping Knowles a lot, which she has never really done (except if we put them in pet carriers together, which we stopped doing for obvious reasons). To cut to the point, in general she seems to be acting a whole lot more aggressive than she ever has and I'm kind of clueless as to why. I'm trying to figure out what would cause her to act that way; nothing has really changed. The only thing I know for sure is that we took her to my parents so as to keep from carting them all over the state during Christmas. When we brought her back she was a lot more aggressive. There's been nights where she was bad enough I considered setting up another cage for her.