Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Giganticus posted:

Here's my new favorite: only a slight movement is required to incapacitate someone with a physics object. A tank punching a car blocking a door frame might not notably move it but it might move slightly forward an inch or so, and any stupid survivor standing behind it will receive a slight tap that will cripple and knock them to the floor. So...

That's Havok for you. There's a fight in Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines where you chase a serial killing vampire around a junkyard while he throws cars at you, and getting too close to an apparently still car can reduce you instantly to ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

The Oid posted:

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I can't be bothered playing PC games any more. There's almost always some set of arbitrary rules that you're not allowed to break, usually put in place by clan players who think they have the right to dictate how everyone else plays the game.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are renowned for this. It's a good game to grief in and is a natural spring of pubbie tears.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
My little brother plays Runescape. Once, for a few months he made a female character and scammed money and magic items by pretending to have a relationship with lonely nerds. He had like 20 sugar daddies at one point and none of them knew each other. He got away with it for a few months but then one of his friends recognized him and told everyone their hot internet girlfriend was really a nerdy middle school boy. The fallout was awesome, I'm sure.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

^ This is what MMOs were made for. That's incredible. :D

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fame Throwa posted:

My little brother plays Runescape. Once, for a few months he made a female character and scammed money and magic items by pretending to have a relationship with lonely nerds. He had like 20 sugar daddies at one point and none of them knew each other. He got away with it for a few months but then one of his friends recognized him and told everyone their hot internet girlfriend was really a nerdy middle school boy. The fallout was awesome, I'm sure.

Details, man! Buy your brother an account so he can post about the fallout.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Back in early ultima online, I used to run scam lotteries on lake superior. I'd basically make a legit looking website with the rules of the lottery and the prizes (things like placed towers and stuff, none of which existed) as well as the date that the "drawing" would "take place". Tickets would be 1000 gold, and you could buy as many as you wanted. I'd give them a book with a number in it for each "ticket". People would actually fall for this poo poo... I made an alt to use as the lotto character, and to spam links to the website at the brit and vesper banks. People would just hand me stacks of 1000 gold all day long. To cover my rear end even more I would pretend like I was entering the lotto on my main, and be like "gee I hope this isnt a scam!!" to my friends.

When the day of the drawing came I just didn't log in.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

the old posted:

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I can't be bothered playing PC games any more. There's almost always some set of arbitrary rules that you're not allowed to break, usually put in place by clan players who think they have the right to dictate how everyone else plays the game.

That said, it can be quite good fun to make up your own arbitrary rules, and shout at people for breaking them.

Yes because every PC game community is the same? :confused:

Even among us L4D goons there are a few distinct camps, the serious hardcore L4D players who will try to ragevote you off the team if you don't leave the saferoom to save them while in black and white with one health(true story). And then there are those, like myself, who enjoy such things as racing and speedrunning. There are no absolute standards.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Relayer posted:

Back in early ultima online, I used to run scam lotteries on lake superior. I'd basically make a legit looking website with the rules of the lottery and the prizes (things like placed towers and stuff, none of which existed) as well as the date that the "drawing" would "take place". Tickets would be 1000 gold, and you could buy as many as you wanted. I'd give them a book with a number in it for each "ticket". People would actually fall for this poo poo... I made an alt to use as the lotto character, and to spam links to the website at the brit and vesper banks. People would just hand me stacks of 1000 gold all day long. To cover my rear end even more I would pretend like I was entering the lotto on my main, and be like "gee I hope this isnt a scam!!" to my friends.

That's incredibly, deliciously nasty.
I played World of Warcraft for a while and I had a really hard time with scamming people, despite it being incredibly easy to do. I at once admire and despise you. :psyduck:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Relayer posted:

Just log in and pick the winner as the number you sold to your main :).

That's what most lottos in EVE online do.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's some serious 1984 poo poo. I'm not familiar with terms of service with MMOs, but is that something you can get banned for, or is it allowed since people voluntarily give up their money?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Davish Krail posted:

That's some serious 1984 poo poo. I'm not familiar with terms of service with MMOs, but is that something you can get banned for, or is it allowed since people voluntarily give up their money?

Depends on the MMO, in MMOs like EVE it's not only EULA friendly, it's encouraged.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why would the MMO penalise players for being clever to gain advantages over others? Would you get in trouble for being a skilled PvP-fighter too?

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
One of my favorite things to do in games is grief people. Lately, my focus has been on going into populated Garrys Mod servers where people have built entire forts and vehicles and thing... and just crash the server. Then when they come back after the server resets they're all freaking out.

I will also create all kinds of things capable of one-hit killing at the spawn points of the maps, so after I kill everybody on the server nobody can spawn. If there is no admin on, I'll do this for upwards of half an hour.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Athas posted:

Why would the MMO penalise players for being clever to gain advantages over others? Would you get in trouble for being a skilled PvP-fighter too?

Most MMOs want to draw a line between you making your 'evil' character do 'evil' things in a virtual way to other virtual characters by way of in game mechanics and you the real person using your genuine real life evil skills to genuinely scam real people within the game.

That might be unclear but here's a couple of examples:

Example A

player 1 casts 'scam noob' on player 2, dice roll succeeds, player 1 gains 100 gold from player 2

Example B

P1: Hey player 2, I'm a hot chick who might have sex with you IRL if you give me 100 gold

P2: Oh gee golly that sounds like a swell deal hear's my gold!

In example A it's all controlled by in game mechanics and even though you might be rollplaying an evil character you can still go out of character and be friendly with your opponent where as in example B you are actually being a genuine dick to a person in the real sense.

Obviously Example B is better.

Quizzle
Oct 26, 2007

Love feels like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.
EQ 1
experience and loot rights in EQ 1 were determined by aggro. The player or group with the most aggro got rights.

Now enchanters had this spell charm which would pull an enemy unit under your control as your pet, but after it broke it would have an absolute ton of aggro, an almost unbreakable amount.

So if someone was pissing me off I would just charm all their pulls right before death, giving me experience and loot.

Garry's Mod

I used to play a long time ago, but on this one server where no-clip wasn't allowed, one thing I would do is set up traps which were upside-down invisible dumpsters, with some thin flat object on the floor. When someone walks onto the metal sheet or whatever, it would trigger the dumpster to come down, a la the board game Mousetrap. The dumpster was scripted to immediately freeze in place permanently, and suddenly become visible.

People would be walking around and suddenly find themselves trapped in a dumpster, forcing them to suicide (which really wasnt a penalty anyway).

Garry's Mod also had a lot of lua scripting, and I never did any first hand, but I heard that people actually uploaded lua viruses through it that would do some hosed up poo poo to people's games, altering numbers of files.
Examples: disabling random mods, capping FPS at something obscene like 1, or forcing ping to huge numbers.

e: "Z.lua - Adds a z onto the end of your server title. "

Quizzle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 19, 2009

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Bremen posted:

Just log in and pick the winner as the number you sold to your main :).

That's what most lottos in EVE online do.

The only reason I didn't do that was because I used my main to help advertise it. I'd be all "hey dudes I saw some guy selling tickets for this lottery, I checked out the site the prizes look sweet!". I didn't want it to look fishy with my main winning the lottery, so I just acted all "poo poo it was a scam!" and nobody was the wiser.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Fame Throwa posted:

Back when I played that game that happened to the richest guy on the game (Mctavish). A guy who made a female character called Lovely420 'married' him and got all sorts of perks, then it came out (or it was admitted) that he was a guy.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

... l4d speedrunning

I hadn't considered this but after only one evening it's had me in loving stitches.

Earlier I joined a game that was playing the final segment of death toll on expert and by the sound of it they'd been having a rough time (preusumably because of the AI player). At the picnic ground where you usually get the first tank a horde spawned and I managed to sneak past all the way to the end. Used three of the medikits, threw every molotov, pipebomb and gascan in the river and smashed the doors and most of the railings on the top level. By this point my teammates were limping along and getting closer, still fighting a running battle with infected, so I joined them in the woods and helped them clear the stragglers. As we got to the house I triggered the second radio call and watched them frantically searching for supplies while the horde steamed in.

2 of them quit the server after that :)

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
I have a few more...

World of Warcraft - I use a mod called BamMod, which is widely circulated throughout GoonSquad Mal'Ganis, where every critical hit I make gets announced in general chat, say chat, yell chat or something else. Often times, I will just use some AOE spell and agro a massive mob so there will be something on the order of 50-100 crits within about 20 to 30 seconds, basically making communication impossible. Beyond this, the things I yell are also randomly generated political phrases like "Nancy Pelosi's Book on [WEAPON NAME]s only sold [DAMAGE] copies!" Additionally, a lot of us use a mod called "Reported!", where if a person swears in anything other than guild chat, the mod automaticlaly generates a message warning the player that he or she has been reported to the game moderators for abusive or vulgar language. In a main city, when one person yells about reporting somebody else, it usually elicits a raging fury of anger in 'trade' chat.

World of Warcraft (more) - As a warlock, I will run a tiny bit ahead in an instance without my team knowing and fear a random mob. The mob will run around panicked and agro anywhere from three to 20-30 more mobs (depending on dungeon) and, suddenly, a massive wave of angry AI come decimating the entire group.

Counterstrike 1.6 - team flashing, Goatse/Tubgirl sprays, spawnkilling... do this on the really populated servers when no admins are around, because as people ragequit more will come on the server to fill the empty spots.

Counterstrike Source - Everything from 1.6, AND..... Using the punishment mod that's on there, I will do certain things to get people to kill me then, if it is enabled, I will make that person a freeze bomb. Inherently, the person ticks for 10 seconds and then him/her and every other person near him or her, including enemies, freezes for the rest of the round and loses all of their weapons. This is great when every CT gets frozen and a bomb ticks away at a bomb site, or if the last four people get frozen and the round timer is set to something like five or ten minutes.

Battlefield II - I had a friend who used to hack, and one of the things he could do is trigger commander-only events. Him and I would spend hours dropping artillery and 'cartillery' on our own team, while the entire team would yell at the seated commander and try to mutiny him, thinking that only he could spawn those things.

Guild Wars - Go into a random-arena PVP match and spend the entire time running around with no armor on yelling "STREAKER!". Or go into the Hall of Heroes and agro everything the instant the ladder starts. Either way, the entire team wipes, which is even worse for the HoH team because of the time it will spend trying to organize strategies.

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 19, 2009

dilbread
Apr 29, 2003
I've read every single reply in this thread and I think it's one of my favorites of all time. Now for my contribution:

I've been playing a lot of Warcraft 3 lately because my computer kinda sucks, and I don't have time for an MMORPG. Warcraft 3 has a pretty robust community of 13 year olds and foreigners creating popular maps.

A popular map is called X Hero Siege, the object of which is to choose a hero and kill wave after wave of monsters to improve your character and kill bosses, etc. One of the most popular items is this trinket that lets you summon 3 ursa warriors. These warriors are tremendously powerful during the beginning of the game, and they're often used to complete some minigame challenges early on. I like to join a game, random a hero (to get extra money), buy the trinket, summon all 3 bears, and proceed to kill the little zigguat towers in my lane. Doing this spawns a powerful boss that's unkillable early on basically. I try to time the death of all 3 towers so that all 3 bosses spawn at once, without them killing my bears. After this, I usually teleport my bears out and go to other lanes and proceed to kill other players with these bears, all the while powerful monsters and the bosses trash the main city and any players in their path.

Another popular map is White TD. This is a tower defense game where you build towers to kill wave after wave of monsters. I discovered if you try to build a tower in another player's vicinity, the game lets loose this ANNOYING and OBNOXIOUS gong sound, to indicate that you can't build your tower at the location, along with a line of red text indicating this. I like to teleport my builder to another player's property (try to go next to their upgrade buildings so they cant see you on the minimap), and spam building towers. The result is a block of red text that stays on the screen for a while, along with the afore mentioned GONG GONG GONG GONG. Teleport out before they notice you. Also, this map has a feature that lets any player summon a once-only "oh poo poo" tower that kills any leaks before monsters reach the objective by typing -lasthope. If you go into observer chat and type this, it summons the tower and no one will be able to see that you were the one who summoned it (since you're in observer chat). People usually leave the game almost immediately when they see this happen, or stay and ponder "WHO DA FUK SUMMONED THE TOWERR". My favorite part about doing this is that it plays a GLORIOUS fanfare when the tower is summoned. Imagine a spectacular farfane being accompanied by players cursing and quitting, with the cacophony of GONG GONG GONG GONG in the background while everything is obscured by red text indicating that you "CANT BUILD HERE". Try not to die of laughter- honestly.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Pyramid Escape is a pretty fun map, which is a series of minigames that all players must cooperate in order to win. The person who made it really had good faith in humanity I guess, because you can do SO MUCH so screw up a game and ruin people's fun. You can attack your own teammates in most minigames (there is a game where you have to resurrect spiders to fight other spiders, for instance. These spiders are really strong, so you can easily attack and wipe out your own team before anyone knows whats going on), you can just be a jerk and get yourself killed repeatedly, you can block players in some maps, give bad advice... it just goes on and on.

Look me up on USEast/USWest if anyone wants to cause some mischief. My name is InventorOfPants.

dilbread fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2009

Quizzle
Oct 26, 2007

Love feels like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.

dilbread posted:

I've read every single reply in this thread and I think it's one of my favorites of all time. Now for my contribution:

I've been playing a lot of Warcraft 3 lately because my computer kinda sucks, and I don't have time for an MMORPG. Warcraft 3 has a pretty robust community of 13 year olds and foreigners creating popular maps.

DotA is extremely griefable. Just sacrificing yourself to the enemy team once or twice will put your team behind theirs to an almost un-recoverable extent. Leaving before the game finishes will ruin the game entirely, and get you (presumably) banned from ever playing again. But these are simple, primitive forms of griefing.

One thing you can buy for yourself is a "chicken," that lets you buy items from base and run them back to your character so you don't have to make the long trip with your guy--losing experience and money.

Back in the day you could buy unlimited chickens, whom you could use to surround and trap players or seal off parts of the base from your own team. There was essentially no friendly fire, so teammates were unable to defend against these chickens.

This all got updated out though.

There are other fun griefs in that game too, like teleporting people into inaccessible areas or groups of enemies.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
I just joined SL after reading this thread, as AdamSourPloom Puddlegum, so far some king invited me to his country, I just bumbled about being clueless, not hard...

Nightmarez
Feb 2, 2001

October. The month where the days get shorter, and everything glows a little brighter.

Power Dips posted:

I just joined SL after reading this thread, as AdamSourPloom Puddlegum, so far some king invited me to his country, I just bumbled about being clueless, not hard...

SL is great for griefing. People really don't seem to like it when you attend live music events and play the sounds of babies crying. Have fun in there!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Left 4 Dead is always fun to grief in. What I like to do is kind of like team killing, just with alot more rage quitting.

I usually play with three friends but sometimes one can't make it and we have to play with a pub. This is where the fun starts. Sometimes we run ahead of the pub and throw down a molotov forcing the pub to either run through the flames or get swarmed by zombies. My all time favorite thing to do is to get into the safe room at the end of the level. Start a vote to change the difficulty to the hardest difficulty (where you can down your team mates in one to two shots.) Shoot the pub in the face and run out of the safe room closing the door so no zombies can get to him. Then change the difficulty to easy (where there is no team damage) then you can either start to help him up but drop him, heal right in front of his face or just leave him in the safe room for 15 mins while he waits to bleed out.

So many angry screams, so many pubbie tears.

vvv Then what is a better word?

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 21, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

moosecow333 posted:

So many angry screams, so many pubbie tears.
If you don't own the server you are effectively pubbies too.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shumagorath posted:

If you don't own the server you are effectively pubbies too.

Haha you told them drat son

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I like to run off slightly in Left 4 Dead, then claim there to be first aid or pills where I am, so they all rush over to me. Then I'll just say something like "oh, it was just a milk carton, false alarm".

Another game that is fantastic for subtle griefing is LittleBigPlanet. There's one official level where there is a platform moving from left to right that initially has hot coals on. You have to pull a lever that opens the platform, dropping the coals, so you can get on to get to the other side. Well, after the three guys have gotten on, I stay behind, then pull the switch, so they all fall :) It's also fun when they are dead, just to run up to a checkpoint, stop, and start dancing or whatever. Or try and skip the checkpoint entirely by jumping over it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

Left 4 Dead is always fun to grief in.

Try not using melee as a survivor sometimes. Dear god, how that can piss people off. When you have one pistol and are shooting a hunter off someone it really takes a while.

As infected, whenever I run as Boomer behind the survivor team for almost the whole map and never puke or die, I get shouted at. I don't know why.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hob_Gadling posted:

When you have one pistol and are shooting a hunter off someone it really takes a while.

Not really; the pistol can fire as fast as you can click. Same goes for the autoshotgun.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Years and years ago, there was a game called Subspace which was basically a multiplayer top down team based space ship shooter game. You'd play in servers of 40-50 people capping flags or taking territory. Your weapons were upgradeable; you started off with crappy guns and torpedoes, but as you picked up green boxes that spawned randomly across the map your ship would get tougher and get better weapons. If you killed someone who hadn't reached a predetermined number of box pickups, you'd get a negative score, leading to the term "negger", for someone who killed "negs".

Now, in the server I used to play on, Turf Zone Arizona, there was a guy named Ihateewe. He played under various similar names (Ikillewe, Ikillneg, Ihateneg) and did nothing but kill negs 24/7. He had double the kills of anybody else playing on the server. The crazy part was that he also had fewer deaths than anybody else. Near the end of a periodic score reset he would have tens of thousands of kills and less than a hundred deaths. Most players would go after neg killers and kill them or run them off to a safe zone, but this guy was such a good player that nobody would go near him, even in numbers. I was one of the top players on the server, and I never managed to kill him even once.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Pinbacker posted:

Years and years ago, there was a game called Subspace

Ahhhhh Subspace. I liked the capture the flag servers where you could pick up the flags and hide them. Due to the sheer size of the maps, hiding them was often better then bothering to defend them. It often got to the point where your team would have most of the flags but the rest would be hidden in some big stash by 1 enemy team. I was pretty good at finding those spots so upon locating the enemy's stash I would jump back to our base and get into our flagroom. Then while in there I would teamswap to my own team (there could be up to #999 teams) and I would password my new team so nobody could join. Then I would steal all of my former team's flags. Then I would jump out and beeline to the enemy's flagstash that only I had found and steal those, usually while being chased by both teams at this point. If I was fast enough, my team of #1 could win the game alone, pissing off everyone.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 23, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

m2pt5 posted:

Not really; the pistol can fire as fast as you can click. Same goes for the autoshotgun.

The maximum rate of fire for the (single) pistol is roughly 15 shots in 3.5 (not exact, didn't use a stopwatch) seconds.

herr
Jan 19, 2009
I love griefing. That is my primary objective in multiplayer games.

In Diablo II, I used to message people telling them to type /a username/pass if they wanted to see their PvP rank, or something like that. The command would put up an away message, and then I would check this message which would contain their account information.

After I logged into their account and changed their password, I'd strip them of all the goodies, delete all of their characters and then put the password back to what it was.

So many death threats. So many.

Bummersault
Feb 4, 2006

by Ozma
Star Wars Galaxies Prison

This all occurred mere weeks after launch, before minor details like so became aware to the devs. For those who haven't played SWG, players are allowed to build houses outside of the city. In your house, you can place objects such as furniture and decorations. However, some of the placeable objects are impassable (you can't walk through them). Naturally, after trapping myself in my own home with a toolbox (which I was able to remove, since I owned the house), I began luring people into my home and placing toolboxes in front of the exit, imprisoning them in my quaint house on Naboo:

There was literally nothing they could do to leave my house other than contact a CSR (admin) to teleport them out. This glitch was resolved several weeks later with the /unstick command that teleports you to the entrance of the house.

Also, the /gather command allows you to pick flowers and poo poo but I was more interested in using it to put my rear end in other peoples' faces:

Diablo 2 DnD

The command "/dnd" (Do not disturb) is used kind of like an answering machine when you do not want to receive private messages. For example, if you type "/dnd I'm masturbating", anyone who sends a private message to you will be informed that you are currently abusing yourself and are unable to respond. However, at the time many people were unaware of this command so I spent my time convincing them to join my "Dungeons and Dragons" Diablo 2 clan, with the stipulation that they enter "/dnd <username> <password>" to become an official member:

All of this happened 4+ years ago so I don't care about sharing their account info.

I hope waffleimages holds up, griefing pictures are a lot more fun than griefing text!

Bummersault fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 23, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pinbacker posted:

Years and years ago, there was a game called Subspace
Although the term "negger" is pretty funny, I fail to see the griefing story or anecdote here. You were just scared of some poopsocker who farmed kills off weak players.

Bummersault posted:

Also, the /gather command allows you to pick flowers and poo poo but I was more interested in using it to put my rear end in other peoples' faces:

This reminds me of a friend I had in college, during class he'd play Runescape and grief people by standing in front of them in their cookfire fire while they cooked, etc.. Then he'd go on and on about how great of head they gave him till the person ran away, then he'd declare undying devotion to them and chase them until they built ANOTHER campfire, then he'd stand in it while the pubby got back down on their knees and started the bobbing animation. It was entirely too funny.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 23, 2009

rocsteady
Aug 23, 2006

In the new expansion for World of Warcraft, there is a battle zone called wintergrasp, that has a couple of quests that reset everyday that give gold and honor, which can be used to buy pvp gear. These dailies are really hard to accomplish by yourself, as they require yourself or someone in your group to get the killing blow on whatever is required, and wintergrasp is usually so full that it's difficult to even get a few hits off. So to make it easier to complete all of the objectives, everyone who is waiting for the battle to begin (which begins every 3 hours and usually lasts 30 minutes) joins a raid group.

Now, my character is a mage, who has one of the nicest utility spells in the game, portal. Portal allows you to set up a portal to any of your factions major cities, which are usually very far from each other. This only works for people who are in your raid group, to prevent intentional griefing.

Because all of the portals in the game look almost identical, It's easy to ask for an invite to the huge raid group that someone usually makes and put up a portal to darnassus (which is probably the most backwoods area in the game, and it requires you to ride a couple of boats to get anywhere if your hearthstone is on cooldown.) seconds before the wintergrasp portal comes up. Everyone is usually so anxious to get onto the battlefield that they rush to click on it without checking first. This causes an enormous amount of grief, as it causes the poopsockers who are trying earn their shiny epics, to end up in one of the least populated cities in the game.

I think I've granted many victories to the other faction because of this.

Edit: Screenies!

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

rocsteady fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2009

Officeboy
Jun 27, 2006
I used to go under the user name CountdownLeaver on WC3's bnet, and join random fullhouse games, pretend my name was intended as a joke, and when the countdown reached the 3 mark, if the host was stupid enough to not kick me before starting, I'd actually leave the game (because the 3 mark was the last second you could actually wc3 games).

Needless to say, I most definitely ended up on the global shitlist.

Officeboy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 25, 2009

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Me and Sestze went through a few CSS servers after changing our names to "WE CAN RESOLVE THIS PEACEFULLY" and "PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME I HAVE A FAMILY". We'd go to opposite teams, and hide somewhere while the rest of our teams slaughtered each other. Then, after finishing off the other last survivor, we would just frolic peacefully together throughout middle-eastern towns, Aztec temples and other scenic locales. Then Sestze would blast The Battle of Fontenay on a loop through voice comm for like 15 minutes straight (some servers disable their round time limits).

Here's some more Gmod tricks:
A blue dumpster, when set on fire with the ignite tool, will deal damage to anything inside it, making for a "frying pan" of sorts if you manage to get someone inside it.
You may not be able to touch someone's contraption because of PropProtect, but a simple grabber/numpad input combo knowns no such limits. Same goes for Igniters and Nailers, both of which can be used to devastating effect.
Wire Text Receivers can scan the server chat for any instances of a word or phrase with various levels of exactness. They can also output the XYZ world coordinates of the player who said a trigger word. Combine this with the HoverDrive (which can teleport to any given coordinates) and a wire explosive and you got yourself a robotic Netspeak Nazi that teleports above whoever said "lol" and explodes their head.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

Hello Sailor posted:

Details, man! Buy your brother an account so he can post about the fallout.

I'll ask him for more details next time I get to talk to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
It's not much, but on the free MMO "Perfect World" only one player can interact with an object at a time. There's a quest where you need to get to the top of a castle gate, open a chest, and return to the quest giver within 5 minutes, or restart. The chest takes about 10 seconds to open.

I spent about an hour there, getting the "open chest meter" to 90%, then cancelling and quickly re-clicking it, so no one else could get to it. There were probably 30 people up there yelling at me in all kinds of languages, before a GM appeared, yelled at me in Malaysian, then teleported me to the bottom of the ocean on the other side of the world.

• Locked thread