Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
SO FULL OF HATE! Or is that hunger? DAMMIT! I can never tell the difference. Oh well, I'll just go kill some classmates I don't like, and if I don't feel better, I'll eat something.
Thanks for all your input guys, it's been very helpful. After going out yesterday and sitting on several bikes and test riding two, it looks like I'm going to join the horde of sv650 riders on Saturday with an '03 with 13k on it.

From what I remember from earlier discussion, around $3k or perhaps a bit less is the ballpark I should be looking to pay for something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

trebuchet_tom posted:

Thanks for all your input guys, it's been very helpful. After going out yesterday and sitting on several bikes and test riding two, it looks like I'm going to join the horde of sv650 riders on Saturday with an '03 with 13k on it.

From what I remember from earlier discussion, around $3k or perhaps a bit less is the ballpark I should be looking to pay for something like that?

Correct. Little less if it's been down and isn't in great shape, and a little more if it's perfect and there's good maintenence records.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Backstory: I've been persuaded (didn't take much ;) ) to go down to this years LeMans with some friends. We'll be driving down from the UK, ferry across the Channel then drive through France. Friends 1, 2 and 3 are in a 400bhp Evo 8, my brother will be on our ZZR-600, which means by default I'll be on my old CB400 Super 4 that currently only gets run twice a month to try and keep the battery fresh.

Given the company I don't think it's going to keep up too well, which has got me thinking about chopping it in for something slightly more "comfortable" (read: faired and 600cc+)... budget is around £1500 which means late 90s or high mileage early 2000s models from my cursory research.

My experience: UK Direct access 18 months ago, the CB400 for 8 months after that until we both chipped in for the ZZR, which I've been pretty much riding daily since. I am an old fart (mid 30s) and like to think I'm relatively sane.

What I've been looking at already:
  • Kawasaki ZZR-1100/ZZR-600: both are around in budget, and I already know I like the 600. I know I don't need the 1100 and another 600 would work just as well, but sane doesn't always = sensible :/
  • Honda VFR800: the V4 sounds awesome and I have a friendly Honda dealer near me that's been keeping the CB on the road doing the bits that I can't. There are a couple around for the right price.
  • Honda VTR1000: I know someone selling a tidy one for a shade over budget, although I'm well aware I'd need to take it easy while I get used to the extra torque available. I've only ridden heavy I4s at this point.
  • Suzuki SV1000S/SV650S: there aren't any 1000s around in budget but there are a few 650s. If the SV650S is as capable as the ZZR-600 it'll do me fine.
  • BMW F650ST/F800ST: the occasional one crops up within budget, but I can't seem to shake the preconception that they'll be no fun. I should probably go see a dealer about a test ride
I know there are probably several more tourers / sports tourers I'm missing from that list, so what other models do you guys recommend I should look out for, and which should I steer clear of, whether for mechanical reasons or me being too novice a rider? It'll end up being my daily rider for commuting as well as a weekend toy, which is why I've been focusing on the sports tourer end of the market.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Hmm, freaky, for a moment, I thought I'd made a dual account and posted something. I too will be driving down the UK, across the channel and down France this summer, though for me I'm heading towards Spain. However, I will be doing it on my CB400 Super Four.

Couple of names I'd throw out. When I mentioned the F650GS late last year, someone threw out the Aprilla Pegaso as an alternative, it being an almost identical bike with a smaller price tag and non of the BMW cockishness. Looks like a nice bike, upright riding position so good for commuting. It is a thumper though and I've heard mention of it not being too happy starting in the cold.

Could look at a Suzuki V-strom. My DAS trainer had one and rode it all year rode with great glee. I think there's a 600 odd and a 1000 odd version.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The F650 is a pretty slow bike isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if it really isn't much faster then your CB.

The VTR1000s are neat bikes, but they do have some issues with the cam chain tensioner failing if you don't watch them. They get really noisy first, but you can expect them to fail at around 20k. Neat bikes, but they will get pretty crummy MPG - think less then 35 miles per US gallon.

I own a 5th gen VFR800 - I would imagine this would be the generation you are considering. It's a really great all around sporty touring bike. The fuel injection transition from shut to open throttle sucks a bit. That's really the only complaint I have with the bike. Very smooth engines and handle quite nicely even though they are a bit heavy.

The SV650 you'll find to be quite a bit slower then your ZZR and the S riding position is pretty much a pure sportbike. Not very touring friendly for most people. I would toss in the FZ6/FZ1 in the mix if you can swing them. Both great bikes and the riding position is very touring friendly.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
You might be able to find a Suzuki Bandit 1200S in your price range, and afaik, they were offered both naked and faired. My biased suggestion would be to look around for the bike that I'm currently riding as my dd, a Kawasaki ZR-7S.

738cc of air cooled fury. :ssj:

It's got a really, really comfortable riding position, hard points to attach luggage to, enough fairing to be comfortable for longer journeys, and the engine has been around for aaaages. Sure, it's not the most powerful thing around - I'd say it felt about on par with a V-Strom 650 (though the power delivery on a V-twin is obviously quite different) - but it's plenty happy burbling along at +110kph all day long. It never sold terribly well on this side of the pond, although if you can find one, it's likely to be fairly cheap, as Kawasaki was selling them at a pretty low price.

Ninja edit: I believe it was also called the ZR 750 outside of NA.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyersguide/Kawasaki-ZR750-ZR-7S.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NumptyScrub posted:

What I've been looking at already:
  • Kawasaki ZZR-1100/ZZR-600: both are around in budget, and I already know I like the 600. I know I don't need the 1100 and another 600 would work just as well, but sane doesn't always = sensible :/
  • Honda VFR800: the V4 sounds awesome and I have a friendly Honda dealer near me that's been keeping the CB on the road doing the bits that I can't. There are a couple around for the right price.
  • Honda VTR1000: I know someone selling a tidy one for a shade over budget, although I'm well aware I'd need to take it easy while I get used to the extra torque available. I've only ridden heavy I4s at this point.
  • Suzuki SV1000S/SV650S: there aren't any 1000s around in budget but there are a few 650s. If the SV650S is as capable as the ZZR-600 it'll do me fine.
  • BMW F650ST/F800ST: the occasional one crops up within budget, but I can't seem to shake the preconception that they'll be no fun. I should probably go see a dealer about a test ride
I know there are probably several more tourers / sports tourers I'm missing from that list, so what other models do you guys recommend I should look out for, and which should I steer clear of, whether for mechanical reasons or me being too novice a rider? It'll end up being my daily rider for commuting as well as a weekend toy, which is why I've been focusing on the sports tourer end of the market.

Out of all of those, I'd take the VTR. Just be aware that it'll suck down gas if you get on it (50mm carbs!) and you should have the euro version with the expanded tank. It'll run with the boys up to speed and then some, and pull wheelies for days, if that's your thing. Big twins are loads of fun.

Second choice would be a second ZZR600 or a SV650. The SV will do better on the corners (although the E is an amazingly stable platform) and the ZZR is a great all arounder. Budget a bit for upgrading the weedy stock front suspension on an SV. Have the same problem with the ZZR though.

I'm not a huge fan of the hondas, although they're good bikes.

I'd try and find a B12 in your area and take a spin on that, if you want the original hypertouring bike, there it is.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

NumptyScrub posted:

[*]BMW F650ST/F800ST: the occasional one crops up within budget, but I can't seem to shake the preconception that they'll be no fun. I should probably go see a dealer about a test ride

See if you can find an Aprilia Pegaso. It'll be less money and more bike. Same general bike as the BMW, same engine except for the Pegaso having a 5 valve engine and the F650 having a 4 valve, but the Pegaso has better suspension, is lighter, and can be a lot of fun. And they will do the ton plus, not plus a lot mind you, but a very capable bike.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Gnomad posted:

See if you can find an Aprilia Pegaso. It'll be less money and more bike. Same general bike as the BMW, same engine except for the Pegaso having a 5 valve engine and the F650 having a 4 valve, but the Pegaso has better suspension, is lighter, and can be a lot of fun. And they will do the ton plus, not plus a lot mind you, but a very capable bike.

The F800ST is quite a bit different though, yeah? Belt drive parallel twin with full fairings.

Edit: Review on ADVRider

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 15, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Zenaida posted:

The F800ST is quite a bit different though, yeah? Belt drive parallel twin with full fairings.

Edit: Review on ADVRider

Tis that, but those are going to be well out of his £1500 price range. Very favorable impressions from what I've seen, maybe when I have the GS paid off and I come down with bike rabies I'll look closer at one.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I have the opportunity to borrow a friends 04 GS500 for a couple months while I get endorsed and back in the swing of riding again. Once my loaner term is up I'm interested in a SV650, probably naked (is Standard the same as naked?). What kind of differences and similarities can I expect between the GS and SV. The SV that I would get would most likely be around the same year, mid 2000s if not a new one.

Also, I just want to say this is a great forum, lots of useful information. Thanks!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Lots more power. Like.. almost double the power. Much more engine breaking. The seating position is more aggressive. the suspension is better, forks are stiffer, the rear shock isn't quite as cheap. It's water cooled so it's power is less effected by outside temperature.

It's just a plain better bike. :-) And I love me some GS's.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

What you are describing is the SV right? So its a good idea to start out on the GS? Its been about 12 years since I've been on a bike and most of my experience is dirt bike riding. I rode an early 90s CBR600 for a couple seasons back in the late 90s, but thats about it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Hah, yeah. Starting out on a GS500 is just about perfect. I was describing the SV650. The GS500 has enough fun to get you in trouble, but not so much you'll get there on accident.

While I don't own a GS500, I do have a few GS550's, a GS425, and have owned a GS450.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

GS500s are perfect starting bikes - even more so by virtue of the mechanicals being historical artifacts. Every problem that could possibly happen to one, has, and so both parts and knowledge for the bike are in very good supply.

Riding an air cooled bike also makes you 1000x more awesome than riding something with a radiator. This is a scientifically proven fact.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll post a trip report once I pick up the GS500 and stop making GBS threads up the thread for now.

edit: Thanks Simkin. I understand the absence or existence of fairings has to do with being naked. I wasn't sure if naked was motorcycle slang for standard. I appreciate the clarification.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 16, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yes, there is a difference between standards and nakeds.

Any bike w/out a fairing can be considered naked, whereas standard implies a certain ergonomic layout/configuration. Just to be even more confusing, you can get faired standards (or part faired). The GS500 is a standard, and unless it's the GS500F, it's also a naked bike. Clear? :v:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, based on AI:CA advice I bought a Honda Nighthawk CB250 back a few months ago, and have been riding that about to good effect.

I'm hoping to move to DC, and then work in Afghanistan for a while, later this year. In such case, I'll sell the Nighthawk, and will need another bike when I return to the U.S.

What are some cool options I should read up on in the interim, and whilst learning the basics on my Nighthawk? Here are my interests:

-I like the traditional/standard upright sitting
-I like stripped-down bikes, brutal looking bikes, and bikes with little-to-no "swoopiness", flash, rocket-ness, etc. A non-bike friend saw my Nighthawk and asked "What's with the WWII bike?" and it filled me with joy.
-I dig Jap bikes overall. I vaguely thought I should aspire to get, I dunno, a Triumph or something when I get a good job, for flat-out-balla-ness. However I've really liked most vintage Japanese bikes I've seen. :shrug:
-I like relatively small bikes. I really, really like the looks and compactness of 1970s Enduro bikes (like the DT100), though I understand they're probably not the best streetbikes. But I dig the size and aesthetic.

Part of me wants a tiny bike for the DC area, but then it's be pretty useless for getting on the Interstate and zipping up to Philly, or west into the mountains, etc., right? So maybe I should just get a moped or a little thumper for around the city (and maybe to mount on a reinforced rack on the back of my car to take to other cities) and a larger (500cc+) bike for travel and highway crusing?

FAKE EDIT: Though I dig the old Japanese bikes (which are out in force in the hip parts of downtown Austin every weekend), I do dig some of the old US and Brit bikes:

Anyone note any trends in my interests that should point me towards certain models?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

-I like stripped-down bikes, brutal looking bikes, and bikes with little-to-no "swoopiness", flash, rocket-ness, etc. A non-bike friend saw my Nighthawk and asked "What's with the WWII bike?" and it filled me with joy.

This can only end one way.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

:words:

Fortune cookie says:

YOU WILL FIND LOVE IN THE SEVENTIES

Umm... If you don't want to deal with upkeep on a vintage bike, there have been several (fairly recent) UJM reinterpretations, including the Kawasaki Zephyr, and another one that eludes me (I think it was a Yamaha? It looked a heck of a lot like a Bonnie).

Simkin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 17, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

blugu64 posted:

This can only end one way.

Huh, I was unfamiliar with Royal Enfield, did a little reading. So these bikes are made in India, but are pretty much just 1940s Brit bikes?

I see they have a "Classic" model too. But this is a hard-tail, right? That always sounded uncomfortable to me:

They also have a "Military" model, but it's a little gimmicky. I don't mind a bike that looks military-ish (primitive, utilitarian), or a vintage military bike, but an imitation rubs me wrong:

Actually, that is pretty cool, except for the ammocans

MSRP is around $5500, not sure how I feel about that.

Horsepower (if I'm reading this right) on the 499cc is only 34, and top speed 75mph, so nothing too impressive there. Not that I need a PERFORMANCE!!! bike or need to hit 130 or anything, but I'd like to be able to hit all highway speeds and have a little to spare. And getting less speed than my Nighthawk despite twice the cc's seems a little patchy.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Triumphs are not as expensive as everyone says. The new ones are priced completely on par with Japanese cruisers and sportbikes. They are also a lot more reliable than any Royal Enfield you will find, even fresh out of the factory.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Triumphs are not as expensive as everyone says. The new ones are priced completely on par with Japanese cruisers and sportbikes. They are also a lot more reliable than any Royal Enfield you will find, even fresh out of the factory.

I was gonna say. I think the best bet may be a new Bonnie or Scrambler.

http://www.eurosports.net/custompage3.asp?pg=eurocafe

Triumph Scrambler Evo. Your choice is clear, you must do what you must do. Besides, if Cathcart liked it, then...well, that pretty much says it all.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 17, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Have you looked into the Kawasaki W 650? It's basically an old Brit bike made a few years ago by Kawasaki with all modern bits.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Kawasaki/W650/Default.htm

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005
Skimmed through this thread and didn't see it mentioned...sorry if I missed it:

What is the general AI (CA?) consensus on the ZRX1200? I remember casually looking at them a couple years back and people were still asking top dollar for the 99 and 2000 model ZRX1100's. In my searches for a decent used SV650, katana 750 or maybe even a nighthawk 750 I keep running across very nice, low mileage ZRX examples in the $3-3.5K range. Seems like a whole lot of bike for the money and the older reviews I dig up seem to generally praise the bike overall for it's price point and intended purpose. I'm really open to anything decently sporty and reliable that isn't a full-on race replica in the sub $4K range.

Do think these bikes would make for a good daily rider? How about as a long distance tourer? With 120 hp and 80-odd ft-lbs at the crank I'd think it'd feel pretty relaxed on the highway, or at least a sprocket change away from it. Motor should be pretty durable too since from what I gathered it's basically a detuned ZX12 mill. Supposedly they even handle alright, or at least worlds better than any past UJM that they are styled after. After several years on an old CB750 I'm sure I'd be impressed regardless.

Any 1st or 2nd hand experiences with them would be helpful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UFS207 posted:

Skimmed through this thread and didn't see it mentioned...sorry if I missed it:

What is the general AI (CA?) consensus on the ZRX1200? I remember casually looking at them a couple years back and people were still asking top dollar for the 99 and 2000 model ZRX1100's. In my searches for a decent used SV650, katana 750 or maybe even a nighthawk 750 I keep running across very nice, low mileage ZRX examples in the $3-3.5K range. Seems like a whole lot of bike for the money and the older reviews I dig up seem to generally praise the bike overall for it's price point and intended purpose. I'm really open to anything decently sporty and reliable that isn't a full-on race replica in the sub $4K range.

Do think these bikes would make for a good daily rider? How about as a long distance tourer? With 120 hp and 80-odd ft-lbs at the crank I'd think it'd feel pretty relaxed on the highway, or at least a sprocket change away from it. Motor should be pretty durable too since from what I gathered it's basically a detuned ZX12 mill. Supposedly they even handle alright, or at least worlds better than any past UJM that they are styled after. After several years on an old CB750 I'm sure I'd be impressed regardless.

Any 1st or 2nd hand experiences with them would be helpful.

My experience with them is...they're great. The 1200 apparently a bit better, but the 1100 is a very capable bike...little on the heavy side, but nothing a skilled rider can't overcome, and boats of power, plus an upright seating position and comfort. A great all arounder. It'd be high on my list if I had to have a one bike garage. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Anyone note any trends in my interests that should point me towards certain models?

There is always the RD350, a sprightly utilitarian two stroke made by Yamaha in the 70's. They weight next to nothing and have a stupid amount of power for their size.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

There is always the RD350, a sprightly utilitarian two stroke made by Yamaha in the 70's. They weight next to nothing and have a stupid amount of power for their size.

Absurdly fun, but remember that you'll get more maintenence, although it'll be simpler. There's still a big following for those bikes, so parts aren't impossiblet to come by.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

Absurdly fun, but remember that you'll get more maintenence, although it'll be simpler. There's still a big following for those bikes, so parts aren't impossiblet to come by.

More maintenance because it's 2-stroke, yes? "More maintenance" as in "you have to disassemble and blow out the carb every other month, and bake the gunk out of the exhaust system"? Or as in "the engine will beat itself to death and need to be replaced every year"?

I'm slightly wondering if I should stick to retro-style newer bike, since I'm unsure of what kind of increased maintenance I'd have to deal with on a vintage bike.

Are Royal Enfields spotty due to Indian QC, or just because it's an antiquated and quirky design, so I'd end up dealing with 1940s-esque maintenance headaches?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

Have you looked into the Kawasaki W 650? It's basically an old Brit bike made a few years ago by Kawasaki with all modern bits.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2002/Kawasaki/W650/Default.htm

Ah, thank you, I was losing my mind due to my inability to remember that bike.

Yeah, that bike was made in 2001, what of it? :crossarms:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

More maintenance because it's 2-stroke, yes? "More maintenance" as in "you have to disassemble and blow out the carb every other month, and bake the gunk out of the exhaust system"? Or as in "the engine will beat itself to death and need to be replaced every year"?

I'm slightly wondering if I should stick to retro-style newer bike, since I'm unsure of what kind of increased maintenance I'd have to deal with on a vintage bike.

Are Royal Enfields spotty due to Indian QC, or just because it's an antiquated and quirky design, so I'd end up dealing with 1940s-esque maintenance headaches?

More maintenance as in, filling the oil injector tank, and replacing the rings whenever you start fouling plugs and the bike gets hard to start. Replacing the rings is an every 10-15,000 miles thing on the RD/RZ bikes. (I think that's the right number..) It's a job that shouldn't take more than two hours.

The carbs will never clog so long as you keep riding it. If you use good 2 stroke oil you can avoid having to clean the exahusts.

You don't need to worry about maintenance being excessive on any bike past say.. 1970. 1980 is ideal though, as everything went to electronic ignition then. Points DO need some maintenance.

Royal Enfields are spotty because they're a 1920's british design. The people on that little island didn't really figure out how to make a good engine untill sometime in the 60's. And that's just "in general". They didn't make really good motorcycle engines untill the third incarnation of Triumph. Before that, british bike motors are not far from 2 strokes in that they have a finite lifespan between rebuilds.

The enfields have been upgraded a little over the years. They're using a modern carb. They have electronic ignition now. And they're running a 12 volt electrical system.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Joke response: "Yes."

Enfields are bikes for tinkerers who like owning older technology and being able to do stuff for themselves. If you like working in the garage as much as you like riding, an Enfield may be for you.

I see owning a Royal Enfield as to biking what owning a vintage MG is to driving. The vehicle is beautiful, and when it runs it's absolutely breathtaking. But if you don't like retightening bolts or just making sure things are tip-top before you set off, you're in for a headache.

And, much as you can buy a Miata and get 90% of the old roadster for 0% of the mechanical worry, you can get something like the W650 or a newer Bonnie and not worry so much.

Depends on the type of person I suppose. I'd love an R-E when I, say, retire, since it'll keep me busy. But for now I'd bite the bullet on a newer Triumph.

Just my two cents.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nerobro posted:

The enfields have been upgraded a little over the years. They're using a modern carb. They have electronic ignition now. And they're running a 12 volt electrical system.

Disk brakes are an option now too!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Jesus Christ, those Enfields are pretty. And there's a dealer about 10 miles from me. Luckily, I am not mechanically inclined enough to own one, so that will save me 5 grand down the road. ( :cry: )

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'm just going to chime in and throw this question out there;

Did I just buy WAY too much bike for myself?

I'm a new rider. I have never ridden a motorcycle before in my life. Spent the last three years almost killing myself on a 42cc Go-Ped (For something so small, the potential for injury is astonishingly high), and rode a scooter for two months while living in India, and used ATVs for work in Antarctica, but other then that I've got no experience at all with anything real.

So I decided to finally bite the bullet and get a real motorcycle.

I ended up shelling out $3000 for a 1997 Yamaha Virago XV750 with 31k miles. I know, I got ripped off, especially given the time of year. Whatever.

The thing is, I'm in Chicago right now. The weather won't even get REMOTELY rideable for another couple months, and the MSF courses don't start until April.

The thing that makes my decision even dumber is that while I'm 6'0", I weigh maybe 160lbs dripping wet. This bike is pushing 500lbs. I plan on using it for some around-town poo poo, but a mostly distance riding and LONG road trips (think 6,000+ miles).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah, that's alright. You did get ripped, but you've come to terms with that, so moving on:

That bike was made for 17 years, so there should be plenty of spares. I don't know anything about reliability, but most bikes, if well cared for, should go the distance. 55hp, 35 foot pounds of torque, it's a good starter.

Welcome to the fold, spend your time while it's snowing to find some decent gear. The longer you expect to be on the road at a given time, the more important getting good gear is.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

mostly distance riding and LONG road trips (think 6,000+ miles).

Been reading trip reports eh? Welcome to the club ;)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Tsaven Nava posted:

The thing is, I'm in Chicago right now. The weather won't even get REMOTELY rideable for another couple months, and the MSF courses don't start until April.

The thing that makes my decision even dumber is that while I'm 6'0", I weigh maybe 160lbs dripping wet. This bike is pushing 500lbs. I plan on using it for some around-town poo poo, but a mostly distance riding and LONG road trips (think 6,000+ miles).

If you're really worried about what your bike weighs vs. you, go to the gym. You won't have to become terribly bulky if you don't want to. Leg strength alone can help you move your bike. Look around. You should be able to find one that's fairly cheap. I go to a Snap Fitness (their prices vary by location) that's all of $35 a month, and they always have a deal on their website for a free week trial. There's usually a deal on their sign up fee, too. It's still loving cold. You've got some time to build up some strength.

Keep an eye on the MSF site. It should be soon that they start announcing when the register dates will be. Typically they're around February in the 20s. You ABSOLUTELY have to be on that site at midnight when registration starts.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a 5'5" girl. She very easily handles moving around a 480lb GS550E and a 430lb GS550.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'm just going to chime in and throw this question out there;

Did I just buy WAY too much bike for myself?
Maybe.. But we'll come back to that.

quote:

So I decided to finally bite the bullet and get a real motorcycle.

I ended up shelling out $3000 for a 1997 Yamaha Virago XV750 with 31k miles. I know, I got ripped off, especially given the time of year. Whatever.

Yeah, you got raped. Hard. Unless the thing is completely mint ;-) ... where are the pictures?

I live in deerfield. I have ridden a bike at least once every two weeks. Then again, some people think I'm a little crazy. I bought a bike specfically to ride in snow. Right now, it's not snowing, and main roads are clear. It's just fine to ride. There will be good riding days coming up. This IS chicago, we had 60's in december.

The bike itself, is good for long trips. Your weight has no bearing on that. If you're comfy, you're comfy. That's the end of that story. The only sin with a motorcycle is getting trapped under it. If it's falling, let it go. You'll damage yourself less that way. Bike parts are cheap in comparison even to medical deductibles.

Given you were scared on the goped, and you've had time on scooters, it may well be a fine bike for you to ride. The fact you're questioning the decision means you probably have the proper respect for it. Just take it easy.

Now, there are three events that you should make it to each year. The slimy crud run happens both in the spring, and fall. And the toys for tots ride. You missed the TFT ride. I'll keep the forum posted on the slimy crud run. It's worth it for the people and bike watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Welcome to the fold, spend your time while it's snowing to find some decent gear. The longer you expect to be on the road at a given time, the more important getting good gear is.

In my long habit of over-paying for just about everything, I also managed to spend a good chunk of money on a Nolan N-102 helmet. When I told my brother (who's been riding scooters for many years) how much it had cost me, his reaction was "You spent THAT MUCH on just a HELMET?!". To which I replied " . . . it's got Bluetooth."

He accused me of being a nerd. I agreed.