Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Wazzu posted:

Yay the ten match series is back, shame it includes akebono. Otherwise, it's sad to learn that tozawa-juku have graduated, and now akira tozawa is in a stable with shingo, because I loved the idea behind tozawa-juju. Akira tozawa as a serious wrestler?

I'm actually really excited for Toziwagi. Tozawa really turned it on since he became less Metabolic. It will be interesting to see where Ono ends up at the end of this unit shuffle/unmasking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Keep an eye out for Morishima being on WWE dark matches this week. Make or break time with his ROH tenure likely done and having jobbed a bunch in NOAH.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Posted this a month ago when there was a lot less information and it was recommended I try again when schedules were more set. Anyway, my brother is going to Japan from 23th January-5 Feburary, mainly staying in Tokyo and Osaka, and is interested in seeing some show/s. Linking to that page with the list of shows, as well as a translation of the names would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/data/bt-schedule.html

But you're probably better off sifting through these:
http://www.purolove.com/njpw/results/09njism.php
http://www.purolove.com/noah/results/09firstnavi.php
http://www.purolove.com/zero1/results/09inception.php
http://www.purolove.com/misc/bjw/results/results09.php
http://www.purolove.com/misc/hustle/results/results09.php
http://www.purolove.com/misc/kdojo/results/results09.php
http://www.purolove.com/misc/osaka/results/results09.php

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

FYI, if anyone wants to use that Nikkansports page, I know Japanese and can point out what the shows and arenas are.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Not to distract the thread from NOAH's grim economic outlook or lovely booking, but I've been wondering this for a while; I know Cactus Jack did all the death match stuff with IWA and FMW, but didn't he work for Baba as well? How was his non-exploding ring work in Japan?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He was in All Japan doing non-hardcore stuff. Can you name for me a good Foley match without a single gimmick or weapon? There's the matches with Vader in '93 on WCW Saturday Night, that's all I can come up with. He was good for bumps and not a heck of a lot more in AJ.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ditch posted:

Can you name for me a good Foley match without a single gimmick or weapon?

His matches in Smoky Mountain with Chris Candido and his match with Shawn Michaels (which had a table, but his matches with Vader used the guardrail a lot, so I'm counting it) spring to mind. He also had a fun little match with Bam Bam in ECW that didn't use any plunder as far as I remember.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Via. Loss at ProWrestlingOnly, one of the long-time puro mysteries is solved. The July 11th 1988 Wrestling Observer notes that an unmasked Misawa had been shown in various media outlets after his wedding. That's why fans knew him when he unmasked on May 14th 1990.

Also, the Wrestlemania of Japan starts in a few hours! Puroresufan.com will have results by morning.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ditch posted:

Via. Loss at ProWrestlingOnly, one of the long-time puro mysteries is solved. The July 11th 1988 Wrestling Observer notes that an unmasked Misawa had been shown in various media outlets after his wedding. That's why fans knew him when he unmasked on May 14th 1990.

Also, the Wrestlemania of Japan starts in a few hours! Puroresufan.com will have results by morning.

Who, by the way, is airing this? What's the delay going to be like before I can see Tanaka and Nagata tear poo poo up? Does the Japanese TV audience get to see it in a few hours?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh man, Tenzan's really injured. TenKoji is off the card.

http://www.puroresufan.com/njpw/?p=299

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

sigmachiev posted:

Who, by the way, is airing this? What's the delay going to be like before I can see Tanaka and Nagata tear poo poo up? Does the Japanese TV audience get to see it in a few hours?
1/4 shows tend to get out right away. There's PPV, and I think a shorter than average time before it airs on WPW.

By the way I get the impression like a couple people here aren't aware that Nagata vs Tanaka happened on October 13th...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

1/4 shows tend to get out right away. There's PPV, and I think a shorter than average time before it airs on WPW.

By the way I get the impression like a couple people here aren't aware that Nagata vs Tanaka happened on October 13th...

I think that match is what has everyone so excited for this one.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ditch posted:

poo poo man I freakin' posted it in the YouTube thread and everything. I've always been a Tanaka mark but he's been going thorough a renaissance these last several months - kinda reminds me of Mutoh in 2000. Just great stuff.

Wonder how they'll handle that tag match now that TenKoji is out. I know 3D hates to job in Japan but I can't see them winning either.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Makabe & Yano put 3D over last year, and it's a Dome show, and most importantly TNA would be telling them to lose.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

*Fighting Holdings Competition: Riki Choshu, Masahiro Chono, Kurt Angle & Kevin Nash vs. Giant Bernard, Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii & Karl Anderson
Anderson lost. That's only 1% more noteworthy than "water still wet".

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Anderson lost. That's only 1% more noteworthy than "water still wet".

NOOOOOOOOOO!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
EDIT: On second thought, I'll wait till it's over.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
It's over.

TNA took both tag belts.

Nagata retains.

Nakamura over Sugiura.

Tanahashi beats Mutoh.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Acute Hepatitis posted:

It's over.

TNA took both tag belts.

Nagata retains.

Nakamura over Sugiura.

Tanahashi beats Mutoh.

low ki?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Wazzu posted:

low ki?

4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~Ballistic interception~: Tiger Mask beat Low Ki (c) (8:48) with a modified Tiger suplex hold to become the 56th champion.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

M.Kishiwada posted:

4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~Ballistic interception~: Tiger Mask beat Low Ki (c) (8:48) with a modified Tiger suplex hold to become the 56th champion.

That seems really quick, or is that normal for a puro undercard match?

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
I saw the two NOAH vs NJPW matches. They may have been slightly clipped but not too bad that I didn't really notice it. The Nakamura/Goto vs. Misawa/Sugiura match was really fun and the crowd was hot for the match. Akiyama vs Nakanishi was also good.

Also saw a clipped version of the main event. Wasn't too badly clipped but the match looked good. The ending was an insane pace. Mutoh moved faster than I've seen him in a while for it, and they both worked hard. Hopefully I'll get to see the full match really soon.

And I can't wait to see the MCMG vs NO LIMIT match and Mistico even though the Dome probably won't care.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm watching Pro Res Expo 08 and holy poo poo, there's a wrestler called Naruto. Anime tie in city.

Also really awful puro joke for sunday:
q:What did KENTA's dad say to him when KENTA woke up at 4am on Christmas Eve?
a:GO BACK 2 SRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPP~!

E: who's the old white guy crushin the apple in the of Pro Res Expo?

coconono fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 4, 2009

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Acute Hepatitis posted:

It's over.

TNA took both tag belts.

Nagata retains.

Nakamura over Sugiura.

Tanahashi beats Mutoh.

Ditch, is 3D over enough in Japan to warrant this streak? I haven't seen a lot of their work over there.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 4, 2009

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Lazy like a Fox posted:

That seems really quick, or is that normal for a puro undercard match?
Junior matches tend to be low priority on dome shows, especially a dome show with lots of matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wow, I figured Nagata would drop the Zero One title to Tanaka. I hope this is a sign that Zero One might not be existing much longer, because there really is no reason for them to.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Z-1 is still flying in Corino, they're not that near death.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Z-1 is still flying in Corino, they're not that near death.

that's because in Japan, Corino==buys. I have no idea that works out but it does.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Anyone have questions for Mike Modest?

edit: Here's some puropulse
http://pulsewrestling.com/2009/01/08/puroresu-pulse-issue-140-big-in-2008-big-in-2009

Ditch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 8, 2009

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I was just watching one of my old FMW tapes, and there was this guy in a crazy bird costume named Gitkou kicking the tar out of some other guy. Does anyone have any information on him, or who he pissed off to be saddled with that gimmick/costume?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Go Shiozaki is getting a BIG push this tour, with a bunch of singles wins, a new powerbomb variant finisher, and now they've unlocked the "can win a match with a lariat" option. Kobashi first pinned someone with a lariat on July 6th 1996; he won the Triple Crown at the end of that tour. I anticipate Shiozaki getting a title shot at the April Budokan show, though I don't think he'd win. Nobody wins the first time in Japan (except for Inoki favorites in NJ).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is his Japan stuff better than what he did in ROH? I wasn't really all that impressed by him.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This is pretty much the best promo:
http://www.theditch.us/AntonioHondaLovesSwearing.avi

coconono posted:

is his Japan stuff better than what he did in ROH? I wasn't really all that impressed by him.
I wasn't that keen on him in ROH either. He's better in Japan, including a MOTDC on 11/5/05 (Kobashi/Go vs Sasaki/Nakajima). In ROH he was a bad fit for S&S Inc., and I really don't dig "This Is Awesome" style matches like he had with Marufuji. Matches that focused on chopping were good though (vs Necro, 3-way with Strong and Stevens). I don't think Go is ready for the belt yet, but he's worth putting in more main events.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

Go Shiozaki is getting a BIG push this tour, with a bunch of singles wins, a new powerbomb variant finisher, and now they've unlocked the "can win a match with a lariat" option.

Very happy to hear this. I always thought the Go Flasher was very contrived and not too impactful looking.

I hope against hope it's the Diamondhead. :v:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I was so sad when the Go Flasher debuted because I knew it would be around a while and drag him down. But thankfully for his sake he's doing fewer moonsaults, meaning he has a chance to avoid the Kobashi/Mutoh/Vader knee problems.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://pulsewrestling.com/2009/01/22/puroresu-pulse-issue-141-josh-barnett-interview-more/
This week: Josh Barnett interview!

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
I have no idea if this info is real but I was sent it by a friend whose really into Puro so I assume he copied this off one of the Puro forums.

quote:

Many people are wondering about the progress of contract talks right now, and well, it is a much quieter month than in the past. Wrestlers are signing, holding secondary talks, and all as usual, but the company will only talk about it when negotiations are over or if someone leaves — as Minoru is. Tanahashi did suspend talks as his demands are complex: he apparently wants exclusive nude photos of women as part of his deal, and New Japan officials are a bit perplexed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

icechris posted:

I have no idea if this info is real but I was sent it by a friend whose really into Puro so I assume he copied this off one of the Puro forums.

Naked pictures of Bea Arthur and a football helmet full of cottage cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Because Tanahashi has so much luck with women. :ese: