Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

blugu64 posted:

Been reading trip reports eh? Welcome to the club ;)

Always wanted to see Alaska :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

kdc67 posted:

If you're really worried about what your bike weighs vs. you, go to the gym.

Keep an eye on the MSF site. It should be soon that they start announcing when the register dates will be. Typically they're around February in the 20s. You ABSOLUTELY have to be on that site at midnight when registration starts.

It's not an issue of being able to push it around (although I'm going to have to practice picking it up), as much as how much weight I'll have to assist in controlling it. Just pushing it around my garage I end up thinking "Good christ, how am I going to actually stay on this thing and control it when it gets all squirrely?"

And I'm actually thinking of taking one of the classes at the Harley dealers, rather then the free state course. I'm told that the state courses are often done on 125-250cc dirt bikes and things, while the Harley classes are done on 500cc Buells, which would be closer to what I'll actually be riding. Is that the wrong idea?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
First, you can reply to more than one person in a single post. ;-)

The Buell is a very small bike. Smaller than any bike you've ever imagined. My moped is bigger.

The bikes used in other MSF courses are "full size" bikes. Typically Nighthawk and Rebel 250cc bikes, and a few TW200's. The rebel 250 and GZ250 are the closest bikes you'll find to your cruiser that's used at the MSF.

Truthfully, the lessons learned on whatever bike will translate well. You're going to be processing so much about riding, that the bike just doesn't matter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

In my long habit of over-paying for just about everything, I also managed to spend a good chunk of money on a Nolan N-102 helmet. When I told my brother (who's been riding scooters for many years) how much it had cost me, his reaction was "You spent THAT MUCH on just a HELMET?!". To which I replied " . . . it's got Bluetooth."

He accused me of being a nerd. I agreed.

:sigh:

Stop overpaying for poo poo. You'll be better off in the long run, and you're not going to be happy if that helmet ever hits the ground. Plus that'll leave you additional money for things like heated gear/grips (which are essential if you ever want to ride in the cold), waterproof gear, etc. etc. Start shopping around rather then spending a crapload of money at one place.

Bikes don't "just get squirrely". You'll learn this after some riding at the MSF, but bikes, unless there is a mechanical problem, are inherently more stable at speed. The issue with a new rider is almost always low speed stuff, or running wide in a corner.

And Nero, the buell blast may be small, but it's not that small.

Need some pictures of the bike, and you should take this downtime to cover the basics on maintenence and make sure the bike is in decent shape.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

The issue with a new rider is almost always low speed stuff, or running wide in a corner.
and your height or weight will have virtually nothing to do with this. it only matters when you have to pick it back up after falling over. controlling the bike so that you don't lose traction while at speed has to do with knowledge and skill and not your body size.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I'm really jealous of my friend who's just got into motorcycling. He's rather anal about picking really good quality kit, and then getting a bargin on it. He's the guy that got the 450 quid Rev'it jacket and trousers combo for a smidge over 200 and he did something similar for his boots. Though I'm not jealous of his bargin hunting ability, that's just because he spends time looking for kit, I'm jealous because he can fit into almost any kit, he's not 6'4", 155 pounds and built like a bean pole. Sometimes I wish I had a gut, just for stuff being able to fit then.

Seconding the cheap helmet mention, particularly when you're a new rider. You have to replace your helmet if it ever comes into contact (not just resting it on the ground of course) with the floor, and I'd hate to have to do that with a 100+ quid helmet.

Also, I love dirtbikes and dualsports for learning on, they're quite forgiving, they're upright so you don't start to ache after a while, they're light and they're fun (plus I can fit on them).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

and your height or weight will have virtually nothing to do with this. it only matters when you have to pick it back up after falling over. controlling the bike so that you don't lose traction while at speed has to do with knowledge and skill and not your body size.

Err, yeah, I should have made that point more clear. Thanks :)

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

Seconding the cheap helmet mention, particularly when you're a new rider. You have to replace your helmet if it ever comes into contact (not just resting it on the ground of course) with the floor, and I'd hate to have to do that with a 100+ quid helmet.

That's not what the Arai guy told Jay Leno: http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/47f1317f105123ad?p=48f7692ffad38f1b (Drop talk starts around 7 minutes)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

You have to replace your helmet if it ever comes into contact (not just resting it on the ground of course) with the floor, and I'd hate to have to do that with a 100+ quid helmet.
Not unless your head is in it when it does, or something of equivalent weight, a short fall off a table or off the seat of your bie does not in any way warrant a new helmet. unless you're anal about wearing scruffy gear.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Nerobro posted:

I live in deerfield. I have ridden a bike at least once every two weeks. Then again, some people think I'm a little crazy. I bought a bike specfically to ride in snow. Right now, it's not snowing, and main roads are clear. It's just fine to ride. There will be good riding days coming up. This IS chicago, we had 60's in december.

Stupid city. Most of the side streets are pretty icy/snowy since the city isn't really plowing them. I haven't had any problems with rain when I've been in it, and I was riding around Thanksgiving when it was freezing, but the ice makes me nervous. How is that working for you?

quote:

Now, there are three events that you should make it to each year. The slimy crud run happens both in the spring, and fall. And the toys for tots ride. You missed the TFT ride. I'll keep the forum posted on the slimy crud run. It's worth it for the people and bike watching.

Please do post those, I'd be interested too.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Nerobro posted:

The bikes used in other MSF courses are "full size" bikes. Typically Nighthawk and Rebel 250cc bikes, and a few TW200's. The rebel 250 and GZ250 are the closest bikes you'll find to your cruiser that's used at the MSF.

I actually looked at the Rebel when I was shopping around, I don't fit on it. Quite literally, my knees hit the handlebars when my feet are on the controls. If the Buell is as small/light as you say it is, maybe I will just do the public course.

Z3n posted:

Stop overpaying for poo poo. You'll be better off in the long run, and you're not going to be happy if that helmet ever hits the ground. Plus that'll leave you additional money for things like heated gear/grips (which are essential if you ever want to ride in the cold), waterproof gear, etc. etc. Start shopping around rather then spending a crapload of money at one place.

Bikes don't "just get squirrely". You'll learn this after some riding at the MSF, but bikes, unless there is a mechanical problem, are inherently more stable at speed. The issue with a new rider is almost always low speed stuff, or running wide in a corner.

Well I don't give a drat about nicks, dings and scratches as long as it stops my brain from being not inside my head anymore (lawl grammar). Truthfully, I did do a good bit of reading/research on helmets before I got it, and it was just one that had all the features I wanted and fit my head well, and I liked the visibility it had. I think what drove me into the WTF price range was the insistence on Bluetooth.

What I'm most worried about is the basics of moving the bike around, like idling around in parking lots, or pulling out into traffic, etc. Or running over something that I didn't see/anticipate, like an unforeseen pothole/branch/loose debris/whatever.

Pic:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oakey posted:

but the ice makes me nervous. How is that working for you?
If all I had to ride on was ice. I'd be ok. Ice is consistent, and you can work with it. So is snow. If there's a nice layer of snow, I'll happily go riding, as the surface is predictable. And it's a whole hell of a lot of fun. I currently have three snow worthy bikes in my garage. And i'm not afraid to use them!

Don't worry, I will post about the crud runs.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I actually looked at the Rebel
Rebels are tiny. If I feel "just about right" on one, nobody is going to fit them well. The TW200's are great bikes to learn on.

quote:

What I'm most worried about is the basics of moving the bike around, like idling around in parking lots, or pulling out into traffic, etc. Or running over something that I didn't see/anticipate, like an unforeseen pothole/branch/loose debris/whatever.
This is exactly what the MSF teaches.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well I don't give a drat about nicks, dings and scratches as long as it stops my brain from being not inside my head anymore (lawl grammar). Truthfully, I did do a good bit of reading/research on helmets before I got it, and it was just one that had all the features I wanted and fit my head well, and I liked the visibility it had. I think what drove me into the WTF price range was the insistence on Bluetooth.

Pic:

Just do the MSF, they'll have a bike that'll fit you there. There were a couple of full size dual sports that they had at my MSF classes in case of tall people.

On the picture front, if the owner maintained it as religiously as it's been cleaned, you should be fine. :D Also :laffo: at the second set of mirrors.

Check the date codes on the tires, too...if they're over 5 years old replace them, no matter how much tread they have left.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

There's some instructions on tires :)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Tsaven Nava posted:

It's not an issue of being able to push it around (although I'm going to have to practice picking it up), as much as how much weight I'll have to assist in controlling it. Just pushing it around my garage I end up thinking "Good christ, how am I going to actually stay on this thing and control it when it gets all squirrely?"

And I'm actually thinking of taking one of the classes at the Harley dealers, rather then the free state course. I'm told that the state courses are often done on 125-250cc dirt bikes and things, while the Harley classes are done on 500cc Buells, which would be closer to what I'll actually be riding. Is that the wrong idea?

Aaaaand having to pick up the bike alone is a good enough reason to be hitting the gym as I said. ;) You think the bike is sorta heavy pushing around now just wait until it's on the ground. It'd help you learn how to lift things without injuring yourself. Leg presses, squats, I hear rowing is good, etc. You will also be using muscles you didn't know you have in your legs to hold onto the tank at higher speeds. While riding steering the thing is really pretty light. (Unless you have square tires or a flat.)

Yes, you do have the wrong idea for that. You'll pretty much be going nowhere. It doesn't matter what amount of HP you have. You'd be lucky to hit 20 mph. Aside from that, it doesn't matter what bike you learn on because it'll still be different from yours. You'll have to learn where your clutch grabs and blah blah blah. Just go do the MSF. For $20 you get a hell of a lot.

Z3n is right about overpaying. Not to get totally on your case, but I don't know why you think you need bluetooth in your helmet. As a new rider, you are going to have A LOT to pay attention to. Being on the phone is the last thing you need to be concerned with. Helmets are long term disposable items. The lining wears out or it just gets really disgusting, and they need to be replaced about anywhere from 2 - 5 years.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

On the picture front, if the owner maintained it as religiously as it's been cleaned, you should be fine. :D Also :laffo: at the second set of mirrors.

Check the date codes on the tires, too...if they're over 5 years old replace them, no matter how much tread they have left.

Those aren't mirrors, they're speakers. And they're going AWAY.

kdc67 posted:

Z3n is right about overpaying. Not to get totally on your case, but I don't know why you think you need bluetooth in your helmet. As a new rider, you are going to have A LOT to pay attention to. Being on the phone is the last thing you need to be concerned with. Helmets are long term disposable items. The lining wears out or it just gets really disgusting, and they need to be replaced about anywhere from 2 - 5 years.

. . . Cuz I'm stupid? And it's with the intention of music, not phone. But yeah, it's mostly because I'm a dumb nerd who is all "Oooooo, moar tech = BETTER!". This lining in this thing is removable, it was something else that I really wanted that drove me from the $100 helmets into the $300 helmets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Those aren't mirrors, they're speakers. And they're going AWAY.

. . . Cuz I'm stupid? And it's with the intention of music, not phone. But yeah, it's mostly because I'm a dumb nerd who is all "Oooooo, moar tech = BETTER!". This lining in this thing is removable, it was something else that I really wanted that drove me from the $100 helmets into the $300 helmets.

Holy poo poo, I thought the texture from the speaker was some sort of weird reflection. :v:

That's even better. :xd:

The problem with bluetooth in helmets is that the better solution is some decent in ear headphones like the Etymotic ER6is. Even if the speakers press right up against your ears, you're still trying to overcome both the wind noise, bike noise, and then layering your music on top of that. And if you are plugging in a set of in-ear headphones, you may as well just drop your ipod or whatever in your jacket, and play your tunes that way, rather than having to cord yourself to the bike to keep the bluetooth device powered up on long trips, and you do away with carrying any sort of batteries as well. Plus not having anything additional in your helmet makes it lighter, which is nice too.

I'm not saying that helmets aren't worth spending money on, i've got a 500$ Suomy that I use for everything from track to commute, but fit is the most important thing. Nothing's more miserable then spending a bunch of money on a helmet only to discover that after 30 minutes it gives you a hideous headache.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Zenaida posted:

That's not what the Arai guy told Jay Leno: http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/47f1317f105123ad?p=48f7692ffad38f1b (Drop talk starts around 7 minutes)

For those too lazy to watch, the Arai guy says it's ok if you drop it off the table or the seat or whatever, but not ok to re-use after a wreck. He explains why, too. Don't get the wrong ideas :)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "Don't use that helmet for a while band wagon". Think about how crap you will feel if you have a ten mile an hour lowside in your MSF and trash it? Also while the BT would be nice for music you're going to have to crank the poo poo out of it to hear over the wind/road noise. Which is fine for a while, but after a few years of that you and your ears aren't going to be on the best of terms.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/hjc_cl-sp+osiris+helmet+-+snell+approved
Dot/Snell aproved, you can pop the liner out in a bout five seconds, and the face shields pop of and go in like butter.
$80.

I just grabed one so if I have to use my own helmet during the MSF and trash it, well I'll only be kicking myself for a day or so.

Add in a good pair of noise canceling ear phones and you'll be saving cash and have what's probably a better solution.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for some high tech helmets to start hitting the market. I mean imagine it, a little HUD projecter will give you all your instrumentation on the inside of your face shield, you GPS will be tied in to give you a visual overlay of where your heading, voice activation will allow you to control your phone and music player... It'll be sweet as hell. I'm just willing to wait until it's cheap as hell too.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Gr3y posted:

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "Don't use that helmet for a while band wagon". Think about how crap you will feel if you have a ten mile an hour lowside in your MSF and trash it?

I'll take all that into consideration this summer. I'm not about to buy a helmet online, though. I have a funny-shaped head, so stuff like this I want to try on before I buy.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'll take all that into consideration this summer. I'm not about to buy a helmet online, though. I have a funny-shaped head, so stuff like this I want to try on before I buy.

I went to a cycle gear store near where I live. I got fitted for stuff there, and bought online. I'm going to pick up bits and bobs there just to not feel like a complete rear end in a top hat.

If you aren't taking the course until this Summer definitely shop around for killer deals.

Going into this I was budgeting about a thousand for gear.

So far I'm at:
Brand new Teknic jacket $100
Brand new Teknic full length gloves - $35
Helmet - $80
Boots - $70

and the overpants I'm going to pick up are about $115.

That means I just saved the first year of my insurance.

All of this was bought online, all of it fits great. Once you get a good idea of what you fit into you shouldn't be afraid of buying online, it'll give you a better selection of sizes/brands/options then any of the local stores is likely to have. In fact the place I did all my size checks at would have had to special order me boots, as they didn't carry clown shoe sized.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
I want to purchase a 300-750cc Honda CB. I won't be taking it on the interstate. It will be for around town or, if I do go on longer journeys, using state highways / backroads. I have a few thousand miles under my belt, an MSF. I've ridden and owned everything from 100cc type city bikes (I actually enjoy these, a CB125, and a CL100) to an XR500R and a DT400E.

I like the styling of standard bikes. I'm not looking to go fast, and I have plenty of fun on a border-line moped 125. Looking for something with good parts availability (I've found that you could probably build up a CBxxx from scratch using EBay alone). Something that I can work on myself.

This will be used for commuting and getting around town. Am I on the right track with looking at CBs? (and CLs and SLs which are based on CB bikes?)

For example: This

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hell yeah. The CB200 that me and my friends use as a learner bike is bulletproof, engine's still going after my friend pulled it out of a dumpster. It's a great around towner, and I'd be tempted to pick up that 350...I want to build a scrambler when I'm done building my SV. :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Gr3y posted:

I went to a cycle gear store near where I live. I got fitted for stuff there, and bought online. I'm going to pick up bits and bobs there just to not feel like a complete rear end in a top hat.

I could do that, but I've got ethical problems with that, for the obvious reasons.

I have a new Teknic jacket as well, it was one of the few things I found that actually seemed to be long enough for my arms without hanging off my body like a tent. It wasn't cheap either, total cost for both this jacket and the Nolan helmet was like $550.

As for boots, I'll probably just keep wearing these: http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=102494&CategoryID=33 I've been wearing them as my only footwear for years, an am currently on my second pair. They've saved my ankles in many situations before, and held up admirably through an Antarctic winter.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

Hell yeah. The CB200 that me and my friends use as a learner bike is bulletproof, engine's still going after my friend pulled it out of a dumpster. It's a great around towner, and I'd be tempted to pick up that 350...I want to build a scrambler when I'm done building my SV. :)

Yeah, as a CL, shouldn't that bike have the high-exit exhaust on one side? Maybe they just replaced it with the CB pipes... Or the side covers with CL badged ones and this guy doesn't know the difference. Whatever. The low pipes are ideal for two-up riding, which I can imagine I will do at least a bit around town with my g/f.

It wasn't really possible on the small framed CB125 or CL100, but on my CB175 (which is a big frame bike like a 350/550/750 for all intents and purposes) we rode two up a bit and it was fine. A bit under-powered, but still fine for around town. Two grown men would be a lot, but my girlfriend is light and despite being 6'2" I'm pretty light as well - 165 at the time as a pro cyclist, now like 180 :(. Safe to say a lot of people probably weigh more than us combined.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I could do that, but I've got ethical problems with that, for the obvious reasons.

I have a new Teknic jacket as well, it was one of the few things I found that actually seemed to be long enough for my arms without hanging off my body like a tent. It wasn't cheap either, total cost for both this jacket and the Nolan helmet was like $550.

As for boots, I'll probably just keep wearing these: http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=102494&CategoryID=33 I've been wearing them as my only footwear for years, an am currently on my second pair. They've saved my ankles in many situations before, and held up admirably through an Antarctic winter.

Yeah, the ethical thing is why I'm picking up little things at the Cycle Gear (Socks, leather care products, repair manual, etc.). I'm figuring consistent small purchases should make up me not buying the A*, Dainase, and other brands I can't afford.

This may just be part of my clown shoe sized feet (I'm usually a 13 to 14 depending on who makes the shoe), but I had a tough time working the shifter on my dad's sportster in my gently caress off Mack truck steel toes. Between the sole, my foot, and the extra space of the steel plate they were just so drat deep that it was a real pain working through the gears with those. If you can shift comfortably with those boots you linked more power to you.

If not jafrum.com has all sorts of boots for reasonable prices.

I grabbed a pair of these:
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Boots/Mens-Motorcycle-Boots/MB2600
and the toe portion is easily an inch and half shorter, which buys me some much needed room. Also for a pair of cheep shoes, the ankle support is pretty good and the construction is way more then I thought I was getting for $50. That site has boots of different styles, sizes, and price points.

I don't really know why I keep posting, I guess I just don't want you to dump like $5k into a bike, gear, and training only to decide that you don't really enjoy riding.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Gr3y posted:

This may just be part of my clown shoe sized feet (I'm usually a 13 to 14 depending on who makes the shoe), but I had a tough time working the shifter on my dad's sportster in my gently caress off Mack truck steel toes. Between the sole, my foot, and the extra space of the steel plate they were just so drat deep that it was a real pain working through the gears with those. If you can shift comfortably with those boots you linked more power to you.

You're right about possible shifting issues with my big "gently caress off" work boots, I guess that's something I'll have to figure out once I'm actually riding it. They definitely are on the clunky side, with a big toe and thick sole. I don't have quite the foot size you do, 12-13 depending.

[quote}
I don't really know why I keep posting
[/quote]

Cuz you luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv me :haw:

I highly, highly doubt that I won't like riding. It's something I've wanted to do since I was like 9 years old, and tried to satisfy my desires by loving around with go-peds and scooters. Never quite took care of the riding bug, so eventually, I just decided I had to take the plunge.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Does anyone know about the Honda Interceptor VTR 250? They seem pretty cool and I find the price attractive but I'm worried about buying a 20 year old bike that was only sold for 3 years.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1006347286.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

IAMKOREA posted:

Does anyone know about the Honda Interceptor VTR 250? They seem pretty cool and I find the price attractive but I'm worried about buying a 20 year old bike that was only sold for 3 years.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1006347286.html

Price looks to be a little on the high side for a 20yo 250, but then again, pretty much any running motorcycle in good running condition should be about that price. There might be a bit of a mark up just in terms of it being a niche/collector piece. I've seen a few naked/half-faired versions of that bike running around town here, and they seem like nice little starter/runaround bikes. Not too sure about mechanical gubbins on them, but I don't imagine that it has as bad a rap as the old 750 interceptors.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How would the vtwin 250 in the interceptor compare to a 250 inline twin in terms of power and delivery?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I thought that the difference in power deliver between say... a 600cc I4 and a 650cc v-twin was due to the number of cylinders and therefore the displacement of each cylinder. If you're comparing a 250cc v-twin with a 250cc parallel twin I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of difference in power development or delivery. But I may be completely wrong.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

How would the vtwin 250 in the interceptor compare to a 250 inline twin in terms of power and delivery?

Other than state of tune? There won't be a whole lot of difference. The V twin will likely have a smaller crankshaft, and the motor will be narrower. And.. you're getting honda build quality. Honda motors have indefinite lifespans. The EX250 really is only good for 40-60k miles. I'm also fairly sure the honda will have come with, or is currently fitted with better suspension and a better frame.

Gr3y posted:

I thought that the difference in power deliver between say... a 600cc I4 and a 650cc v-twin was due to the number of cylinders and therefore the displacement of each cylinder. If you're comparing a 250cc v-twin with a 250cc parallel twin I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of difference in power development or delivery. But I may be completely wrong.

There's a lot more to it than that. I've explained it before though. The difference in power is due to state of tune and displacement. Not size of piston, or configuration.

Zadmaster
Nov 5, 2007

Your tone, it's all wrong...
Well, the time has come. I got the OK from the wife (barring any unforeseen financial hardships in the near future), and I'm looking at taking my MSF this spring (I just hate the schedule for it, since I work evenings/weekends as a chef apprentice, and getting time off can be rough), and will hopefully be picking up a bike soon thereafter.

I have a cousin who rides regularly, and he was gushing about the SV650 as a starter bike that won't be outgrown anytime soon. It's a nice looking bike and seems great, but I'm really partial to a standard/cruiser style; the sport style just doesn't appeal to me. So I had been researching the v star 250, but was concerned about highway driving.

Now, the other night at my other job, I had a customer who worked at the Harley plant by here, and we were shootin the poo poo about bikes, and I explained my thinking. He told me that for my size, 6' 200lbs, he thought that for a cruiser, something in the neighborhood of 600-750cc would be acceptable.

So, I went back to daydreaming on the internet, and I really like the Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Mind you, I plan to use it as a recreational vehicle/mode of transportation to work, and am a pretty cautious person by nature, and won't be dancing with the devil/doing any crazy poo poo.

TL;DR: I'm about to break into this world about which I know little, and have been eyeballing the Honda Shadow 750. First question, is this a reasonable bike to get comfortable with, and second question, for a used one that's 7 yrs old, is this a reasonable asking price: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/979243073.html

I appreciate any advice. I'm really excited about learning to ride, and my "someday" bikes are the VTX 1300C (1800s just seem like too big a beast) and a V Max, because I'll bust out the flat black paint and Mad Max that poo poo in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Also, I see a lot of bikes with the Vance and Hines exhaust. Do these pipes actually affect the performance, or does it just alter the sound? Yay newb questions!

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Your height and weight have gently caress all to do with what type of bike you should get, as your customer was saying. The "Harley plant" thing should've been enough of a clue to run away from his advice. :haw: It's what you're comfortable on. Being 6' your legs should be fine on nearly any bike. You're not 400 lbs. so your weight's not going to slow any bike down significantly. We also do not look at displacement. We look at hp. 70 is the high end for new riders.

The SV650 is on the edge of what's ok for new people. Some do fine, others don't. As for outgrowing bikes, HA. Nero has bikes that'll do 120mph+. Yet if I were to leave the key to all of my 9hp, 50mph LT2 with him, I'd never see that bike again. Besides that, even if you do want a faster bike and can't have more than one, 250s have good resale value. According to wiki.answers the V Star 250 has a top speed of 85mph. Technically enough for highway driving. Not quite enough to time travel, though.

That Shadow is a rather nice bike. HP wise it's about perfect. (45) The only problem I can see with it is it's too pretty. I don't know about you, but I'd feel awful if I were to drop that. Considering it has no flaws on it and the extras, it doesn't seem like that ridiculous of a price really. It's always worth trying to talk someone down a bit.

Yes, properly tuned pipes such as Vince and Hines do affect performance.

Zadmaster
Nov 5, 2007

Your tone, it's all wrong...
Thanks for the info! Yeah, the fact that he worked for HD had me taking a few grains of salt, it was just stuff I'd never really considered.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Zadmaster posted:

Thanks for the info! Yeah, the fact that he worked for HD had me taking a few grains of salt, it was just stuff I'd never really considered.

The most important point about bike displacement that a lot of new riders seem to miss is that even a lowly 250 can go really goddamn fast. Fast enough to get you in trouble. I own a 250 from the 60's and I can break 75mph all day long. If it was jetted correctly and had better compression I'm sure it would go even faster.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You can extend your upper CC limit to 900, if you're only looking at cruisers. Kawasaki and Suzuki both make excellent 900cc and 800cc cruisers, respectively, and they should fit someone of your height/weight quite well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

You can extend your upper CC limit to 900, if you're only looking at cruisers. Kawasaki and Suzuki both make excellent 900cc and 800cc cruisers, respectively, and they should fit someone of your height/weight quite well.

Just ignore displacement. You can't place any sort of rule like that, and if you try, you're going to end up with a complex, multi headed hydra of a rule that nobody can remember. The 1200cc sportster is not suicidal for a noob. It's got the same power as a SV. On the other end of the scale, 500cc's of royal enfield won't get you 15hp.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nerobro posted:

The 1200cc sportster is not suicidal for a noob. It's got the same power as a SV. On the other end of the scale, 500cc's of royal enfield won't get you 15hp.

I just looked it up and realized the 1200cc Sportster engine only puts out 70hp. How can an engine so big put out so little power :psyduck:

For comparison my 1977 650cc Kawasaki is rated for 64hp.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
I think a lot of the power goes to turning the bike into a gigantic vibrator.

I know. My '80 GS550 puts out 50hp and my '77 GS400 puts out 36. That sportster also has a DRY weight of 557 lbs. compared to 430 for my 550 and 380 for my 400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

8ender posted:

I just looked it up and realized the 1200cc Sportster engine only puts out 70hp. How can an engine so big put out so little power :psyduck:

For comparison my 1977 650cc Kawasaki is rated for 64hp.

My dad's first bike was/is a HD sporster. It was originally an 883cc motor (EVO) which he swaped the 1200cc jugs into. I've tooled around on it a bit in a parking lot, and it really feels like the engine is set up to give a nice reasonable torque curve regardless of where you are in regards to gear/throttle. It's not about to smoke anything but he picked that bike for two reasons:
1. It's a Harley (his ego is too small to take the ribbing from the other guys down at the Elk's lodge for showing up on a bike that didn't come from Milwaukee).
2. It's very forgiving. As long as you aren't asking anything unreasonable from it, it won't put you into a nightmare situation like a sportbike or a road-king can. Grab too much throttle/brake? That's cool, we can work with that. Come in a little to hot or cold on a corner? No prob, mang, we'll get through this.

Not a terrible choice for a beginer really, just don't try to keep up with your palls on the sv650 or ex250 in the corners and you'll be fine.

That said, it's not the most reliable piece of machinery out there. The EVO has fewer issues then any HD motor in history, but for the amount of riding he did on it, I thought it spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop.