Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Even that's likely an overestimate. IIRC, there's only three festiva keysets. Consider that ;-) Even with modern locks, and modern production facilities, I'll bet there's less than 100 keys per (low end) bike. I'd also bet that high end bikes use a combination of key, and resistor value, or rfid tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Aside from stuff like "check the oil and the tire pressure," what do I need to know about keeping a motorcycle clean and well-maintained that I won't find in the owner's manual?

I do have a dealership within 10 miles of my house, but I don't want to just walk in blind and hand them my wallet.

basx fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 8, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Get a battery tender. Make sure you have/use the correct weight oil for all of the different oil systems on your bike. It doesn't hurt to take apart the electrical connections once in a while to spray WD-40 in them. If there's chrome on your bike, don't let rust spots develop. The list goes on and on.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

Check eBay too. A lot of times, manufacturers only cut a few thousand or so different keys, and just cycle them over and over.

I got some keys for my 77' Kawasaki this way. I just checked the code on the seat lock cylinder and ordered a matching pair for $10 on ebay. They work great.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

MrKatharsis posted:

If there's chrome on your bike, don't let rust spots develop. The list goes on and on.

How do I prevent rust spots from developing?

And where is "the list?"

God I am such a newbie.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So my father highsided his recently bought '07 xb12ss (less than 300 miles on it :( ). We live in Brazil and the harley dealerships around here have really bad service and overcharge parts like their lives depend on it. Could you guys point me out to any shop or dealership that would send parts overseas ? It's basically small stuff (gear lever, mirror, turn light, maybe the gearbox cover...)

Bonus pics of the damage (couldn't get a farther one, no space in the garage)

:nms: father's leg :nms:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Primo Itch posted:

So my father highsided his recently bought '07 xb12ss (less than 300 miles on it :( ). We live in Brazil and the harley dealerships around here have really bad service and overcharge parts like their lives depend on it. Could you guys point me out to any shop or dealership that would send parts overseas ? It's basically small stuff (gear lever, mirror, turn light, maybe the gearbox cover...)

Bonus pics of the damage (couldn't get a farther one, no space in the garage)

:nms: father's leg :nms:

Ouch, I hope your dad heals up fast. :(

As to shipping, if you can't find a place that'll ship overseas, I'm willing to reship stuff for people...I've done it before. You purchase the parts, have them shipped to my place, I verify that everything is good (in case of used parts) and I rebox as needed and then send them to you.

Honestly, though, that damage looks pretty minor, I'd just touch it up a little with some appropriate paint and call it good. Colorrite does great color matches.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Primo Itch posted:

:nms:

drat, that looks pretty nasty. The sheer mechanics of highsiding anywhere other than on a track are pretty ... :psyduck:

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
What is the best way to fix stripped oil pan threads?

I finally got around to doing my first change on a recently purchased 91 cb750, only to discover the prev owner neglected to keep the washer between the drain bolt and pan.. I didn't notice it right away cause the bolt has one of those faux washer looking deals around it, fooled me at a glance.

bolt now doesn't thread in all the way...

replacing the pan on my bike would cost $160 for the new pan OEM, and seems to be a fairly easy job.. the pan comes off the bottom without removing anything other than the exhaust pipes

Is there a cheaper way to fix this? or is this my only course of action

Also, should I just avoid using the bike until this is fixed? After re-installing the bolt as snug as it goes before unthreading itself the engine doesn't leak while running, but I keep having visions of it popping out on the freeway.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
What worked for me was getting a longer bolt with the same thread width/pitch. YMMV.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Z3n posted:

Ouch, I hope your dad heals up fast. :(

As to shipping, if you can't find a place that'll ship overseas, I'm willing to reship stuff for people...I've done it before. You purchase the parts, have them shipped to my place, I verify that everything is good (in case of used parts) and I rebox as needed and then send them to you.

Honestly, though, that damage looks pretty minor, I'd just touch it up a little with some appropriate paint and call it good. Colorrite does great color matches.

Hey, thanks for the offer... I've researched some shops online and now an going to the local dealership to see their prices... If they're not insanely higher than those in dollars in just buying there, but thanks anyway ^^

quote:

drat, that looks pretty nasty. The sheer mechanics of highsiding anywhere other than on a track are pretty ...

Getting dirt on the road and loosing the back wheel on a turn is a highside right ? :p

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Getting dirt on the road and loosing the back wheel on a turn is a highside right ? :p

Highside is when the back end slides out, then it suddenly catches traction again so the back end is pulled swiftly towards the inside of the turn which causes the rider to be thrown like a slingshot towards the outside.

Losing traction, not regaining it but falling towards the inside of the turn is a lowside.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
So I have my new Harley Sportster sitting in my garage, waiting for spring.

The problem? My garage is at the bottom of a tremendously steep driveway. That means my first experience riding this bike is going to be going up a very steep hill with almost zero starting momentum.

Any tips on how not to flip the bike over on top of me or otherwise destroy it?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

basx posted:

The problem? My garage is at the bottom of a tremendously steep driveway. That means my first experience riding this bike is going to be going up a very steep hill with almost zero starting momentum.

Put it in the back of a truck and drive it up? :haw:

You could walk it up in gear, using the clutch to modulate how much pull the engine is giving. That's kind of iffy on a steep slope though, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Probably get it as far back in the garage as you can, then ride it out. A bike wants to stay upright when it's in motion, so if you were going even 10mph it's unlikely to fall over on you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

basx posted:

You arent going to flip a Sporty over on yourself without really trying. Even on a steep driveway.

That bike has more than enough torque to just lug you and it up the hill slowly. Feather the clutch out and ride up the hill with just a little gas. I think once you get going you'll realize its not as bad as you think.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Thanks, guys.

So if I can't flip it over, even with 200 pounds of me on the seat and the front wheel pointing at the sky, that takes care of one concern. My only other is the rear wheel losing traction and slipping out from under me halfway up, then watching my beautiful Harley slide down the asphalt slope, over the edge of the driveway, and plummet into the trees below.

The hill has me pretty paranoid because my regular ride is a truck with rear-wheel drive and no weight on the back. Too much gas or a little rain and I'm spinning my rear tires trying to get the truck up the slope. (no longer the case, I threw 300 pounds of sandbags in the back of the bed)

\/ Asphalt driveway. Eyeballing it, I'd say a 30 degree slope. It's pretty brutal.

basx fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 8, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So from your description, the driveway is not concrete? Is it mud/gravel/ice, or what?

The seat on your sportster is mounted in front of the rear axle, so your weight just helps keep the front end down. Unless the hill is insanely steep enough to put the mass of your body over/behind the axle. If you're to that point, its a whole other story then.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
Would trading my '95 CBR F3 with 17k miles for a 2000 KLR 650 with 21k miles be reasonable? I don't know if KLR's have any issues besides the doohickey, but I've had enough of taking off all of the plastics any time I have to work on the CBR. Plus, it'd be easier to stay under the speed limit on a KLR. KBB lists the CBR as being higher value, so I'm not sure if I should go for a straight up trade or try and sell it and buy a different one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lawn posted:

Would trading my '95 CBR F3 with 17k miles for a 2000 KLR 650 with 21k miles be reasonable? I don't know if KLR's have any issues besides the doohickey, but I've had enough of taking off all of the plastics any time I have to work on the CBR. Plus, it'd be easier to stay under the speed limit on a KLR. KBB lists the CBR as being higher value, so I'm not sure if I should go for a straight up trade or try and sell it and buy a different one.

That's a good trade in my book, if you're looking for a thumper.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Alright, well, after trying a couple ghetto temporary fixes I've concluded that the threads in my pan are just gone.

I already ordered a new OEM pan, gasket, drain bolt and washers (and header gaskets since the r&r calls for discarding a lot of old ones)

my question is, the oil pan replacement procedure seems like something a novice such as myself can perform.. apparently all that has to come off is the exhaust, oil hoses that go to the pan, and the pan itself.

i guess I have two questions -- one, is this a feasible job to do without a lift? I have a paddock stand, but that's it. (bike is a '91 cb750. has somewhat decent ground clearance)

2nd, anything else I should be aware of? This is the first bike I've owned where I'm taking all maint/repairs into my own hands and I get apprehensive about doing things. :(

Datsun Honeybee fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 28, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've done that exact replacement on a GS550. While the bike was sitting on it's centerstand. I could have probably done it on the sidestand as well.

Be sure to get a new gasket. Grease the gasket before installation. tighten the bolts holding the pan on working from the middle out.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Datsun Honeybee posted:

Alright, well, after trying a couple ghetto temporary fixes I've concluded that the threads in my pan are just gone.

I already ordered a new OEM pan, gasket, drain bolt and washers (and header gaskets since the r&r calls for discarding a lot of old ones)

my question is, the oil pan replacement procedure seems like something a novice such as myself can perform.. apparently all that has to come off is the exhaust, oil hoses that go to the pan, and the pan itself.

i guess I have two questions -- one, is this a feasible job to do without a lift? I have a paddock stand, but that's it. (bike is a '91 cb750. has somewhat decent ground clearance)

2nd, anything else I should be aware of? This is the first bike I've owned where I'm taking all maint/repairs into my own hands and I get apprehensive about doing things. :(

I guess you've already ordered the pan, but can you cancel it? Why not just tap a larger drain bolt in the pan? Hell I bet you could just chase thread with the size you have now and possibly rehabilitate the current size.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Is it normal for the oil light to come on during heavy braking? I'm using 5W-40 oil, and it's at the right level. Is there a possibility of this hurting my engine?

I'm riding a zzr-250 (a ninja 250 with fairings).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Charun posted:

Is it normal for the oil light to come on during heavy braking? I'm using 5W-40 oil, and it's at the right level. Is there a possibility of this hurting my engine?

I'm riding a zzr-250 (a ninja 250 with fairings).

You're probably a little low on oil. That happened to me once after a 3-400 mile highway trip, and after I topped off the oil it stopped happening.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Alright so tomorrow I'm doing my oil pan replacement -- I'm a little worried about removing the nuts from the exhaust manifold studs, as the bike is 18 yrs. old and I'm pretty sure they've never been removed before. The last thing I want to do is strip studs on a repair job for fixing stripped threads elsewhere. Should I be fine if I can get WD-40 in there and let it soak awhile?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
edit: problem solved in the beginner's thread

AF fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 1, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Datsun Honeybee: Get something better for unfucking stuck bolts than wd-40. You should be able to find non-flammable liquid wrench or PB-blaster or whatever, so that even if that stuff doesn't work, you can break out a heat wrech to make sure things come apart. :flame:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
yeah, wd40 won't do it but penetrating oil should help, and if you don't have an impact gun, look for one of these at a local auto shop. any kind of an impact driver will work wonders.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Well, just as a slight update as I wait for my oil to drain, the exhaust came off without a hitch with just my 3/4 ratchet, surprisingly the bolts were not seized badly at all.

Now then, with air/oil cooled bikes such as mine, should I be switching weights in the summer? I live in phoenix where it gets to a toasty 112 F in summer time. Right now I'm running the bike using 10w-40 full synthetic oil

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Datsun Honeybee posted:

Well, just as a slight update as I wait for my oil to drain, the exhaust came off without a hitch with just my 3/4 ratchet, surprisingly the bolts were not seized badly at all.

Now then, with air/oil cooled bikes such as mine, should I be switching weights in the summer? I live in phoenix where it gets to a toasty 112 F in summer time. Right now I'm running the bike using 10w-40 full synthetic oil

Not the same bike, but zook recommends 10w-40 for the DR650 (also air/oil) year round.

If anything you could go lighter if it gets very very cold but 10w40 is pretty much perfect for hot weather.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my rather bulky gauge box with something else, preferably some high tech poo poo with lots of features. There's loads of gauge manufacturers found via google, but has anyone got anything in specific to recommend?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who can tell me about Pirelli Diablo Stradas? I'm normally a Michelin fan, but I'm reading alot of great reviews on the Pirellis, and their price cant be beat.

Anyone like them? Hate them?

I'm looking for something for the Bandit that will offer a combination of good grip and longevity.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Well today was... crappy.

I managed to get the old oil pan and gasket off (18 yr. old gaskets sure are fun to remove.), install the new pan, new gasket, and all fasteners torqued in with no issues.

About the shittiest thing that could ever happen, happened, and whilst I was moving around to the other side to grab something, the paddock stand the bike was mounted on broke, and my bike fell over on its side. I've been riding six years and have never, not once dropped a bike. I'm still shaken by this :(

The damage seems to just be a bent control lever and a gas tank scuff that buffed off.

With that out of the way, my question now is if anyone knows of an easy way to mount a 4-into-2 exhaust back onto a bike. I have a floor jack, but that's about it as far as lifting equipment goes.

I could just not for the life of me get the pipes lined up with the manifold. What a dumb thing to get stuck on :P

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm looking for something for the Bandit that will offer a combination of good grip and longevity.

I've been rocking a set of Metzler Z6 on my ZR7s for ~15000km, and they've still got life left in them. It's kind of spooky, actually.

Price: A
Avail: A
Longevity: A+
Grip-Tarmac: B+
Grip-Wet: B-
Grip-Gravel: D
Grip-Snow: :smithicide:

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

Ola posted:

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my rather bulky gauge box with something else, preferably some high tech poo poo with lots of features. There's loads of gauge manufacturers found via google, but has anyone got anything in specific to recommend?

I have a device called Vapor for my KLR, I haven't installed it yet but I do have it. I have to say I'm impressed with it, it came with pretty much everything I need to install it, and it all looks like pretty good quality gear.

I'll hopefully mount it all up this week sometime, but it seems to be pretty universally liked by folks who have it. It has three screens you can togggle between for all the data it displays, I just wish the primary screen would show engine temp instead of ambient temp. No biggie though.

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

Now a question- I, being a dummy, overoiled my air filter and fouled my spark plug. Kawasaki says to wring out the filter after oiling it, but how much do I wring out? Just a good squeeze, or as much as I possibly can, or what? I have No Toil cleaner and oil, if it matters. Or should I just get a paper filter?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That Vapor thing looks pretty cool, but I'd hate to give up my fuel gauge and gear indicator. No shut up! Gear indicators are cool :( I also found some classy and advanced ones here http://www.motogadget.com/

But for now I'll leave the idea as just an idea and not cause myself all kinds of electronic grief.

EvilDonald posted:

Now a question- I, being a dummy, overoiled my air filter and fouled my spark plug. Kawasaki says to wring out the filter after oiling it, but how much do I wring out? Just a good squeeze, or as much as I possibly can, or what? I have No Toil cleaner and oil, if it matters. Or should I just get a paper filter?

I just coat it evenly inside and out, then squeeze it a bit (with a plastic bag) to soak the oil through. It shouldn't drip and should only be moist to the touch. If you squeeze your over oiled one with a clean rag it should probably remove the excess oil just fine. Remember to wipe the inside of your airbox before you put it back in.

Now for my Q

*shines GS light on nearest cloud, waits for Nerobro to emerge from Batcave*

My speedo quit working in November, which was weird since I'd replaced the cable only two months previous. Never got around to checking it properly before today, turns out the cable is fine and the speedo worked when I spun the wheel end of it with an electric drill (fun!).

I shone a light in the cable hole of the speedo gear and spun the wheel, the little thingy inside didn't turn. Is the gear completely hosed or is there a chance to repair it? If not I'll just email a junkyard and see if they have one, I suspect a new one from my local dealer will be a$$rape.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've toasted a speedo drive once. The gear inside the speedo drive is pretty delicate, and if you install the front wheel with the speedo drive on wrong, it will go on. And you'll torque down the front wheel, and you won't notice anything wrong. ... except the speedo doesn't work.

The speedo drives are cheap. $15 or so on ebay. Pick up another. I'm fairly sure they're a universal GS piece.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

http://www.veypor.com/veypor.html

Without a doubt, the most badass gauges around. They allow everything. Gear indicator, speedo, RPM, 0-60 times, quarter mile runs, HP estimation via acceleration...basically, everything that makes techie gearheads :fap:

I destroyed mine at infineon :(

Phat_Albert posted:

Who can tell me about Pirelli Diablo Stradas? I'm normally a Michelin fan, but I'm reading alot of great reviews on the Pirellis, and their price cant be beat.

Anyone like them? Hate them?

I've run the Z6s (basically the same tire, different tread pattern) and they were the best S/T tires I've ever run. G/f has a Strada front/Z6 rear on the Z1000, and they're fantastic. Highly recommended, little shorter (10/20%) on life than some other S/T tires, but well worth the tradeoff. It's a toss up between a set of those for the trip to canada and a set of Pilot Road 2s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah there were loads on ebay, but most don't ship to Norway and most also didn't look exactly like mine although I'm sure they'll fit. I'll shoot the junkyard an email, they have heaps of UJMs.

Also another question, I just noticed one of my bar ends have fallen off. The other one also seemed a bit loose. How are they attached to the handlebars? Just press fit? Maybe I'll just rip the last one off and put on some aftermarket ones, but I bet they are all chromed skulls or purple devils horns or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Yeah there were loads on ebay, but most don't ship to Norway and most also didn't look exactly like mine although I'm sure they'll fit. I'll shoot the junkyard an email, they have heaps of UJMs.

Also another question, I just noticed one of my bar ends have fallen off. The other one also seemed a bit loose. How are they attached to the handlebars? Just press fit? Maybe I'll just rip the last one off and put on some aftermarket ones, but I bet they are all chromed skulls or purple devils horns or whatever.

Some use a piece of rubber that's squished by a nut, and some thread into the handlebar. I'd bet yours are the first.