Ohib
Jun 12, 2006
Objective Accomplished.

The Oid posted:

Unbind all

Binding "kill" to mouse1 is also a good one. Me and a friend got someone to do that on CS:S and every round would begin with them suiciding and then pretending they meant to do it.

Also, there's the "demos" command, which exits you from the server. It's pretty easy to get people to do it on TF2 if you claim it's a new demoman taunt or something.

Edit: Heh, that reminds me of some griefing me and a friend did in Empires. Basically, we convinced everyone to make my friend commander, and he proceeded to build about 10 armouries which are basically ammo dispensers in a building. He then proclaimed on mic that "I have OCD and have to build 10 of each building :downs:", to which the whole server started shouting at him. He continues building useless stuff until we lose the match. Then the next round comes, and somehow we get him voted as commander AGAIN and he drives the command vehicle to the enemy base, which they destroy and win the game with. Then the next round, we get him voted as commander AGAIN and he places a wall around our barracks (our only spawn) which I build up quickly, and we have everyone trapped. We then both started playing big brother music over mic. It was hillarious.

Edit 2: Pictures! Unfortunately, they're tiny.

"We think the team needs more jeeps"

Ohib fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 2, 2009

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

MrDutch posted:

Second Life
Haha, I'd never heard of that Chris Hansen one.

Actually, the Second Life Goon groups main island is getting an overhaul right now. An area to train new Goons about how to build and script in Second Life is in the works.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've been reading through the thread and I hope I didn't miss it, but did the person who talked about pretending they needed to communicate through music end up posting a video?

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp

Clayren posted:

Haha, I'd never heard of that Chris Hansen one.

Actually, the Second Life Goon groups main island is getting an overhaul right now. An area to train new Goons about how to build and script in Second Life is in the works.

Ooh, I could use scripting lessons. And maybe building lessons... Could non-new goons use this training area?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Toastline posted:

Ooh, I could use scripting lessons. And maybe building lessons... Could non-new goons use this training area?

I'm not even sure about that anymore. The organization in W-hat is non-existent at best. But if there are people around, they'll probably be willing to give you tips and we now have a sandbox for the newbies.

Lord Nibbler
Feb 13, 2008

by angerbotSD
I have no pictures but...

I remember back in Diablo 2: LoD days, I used to try to steal accounts in the main UsWest channels. I would talk to people as if I was really friendly, and then type in a few asterisks. I would then say something like, "Thank god! I accidentally typed in my password and Blizzard automatically stars it out!" Then I would keep doing it, while I had a friend in the chat room doing the same. Not many people fell for it, but we did get one account that had all the best items on it by doing this.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
Man. Second Life was fun to mess around with. It was so easy to piss people off. I think I had some property for all of a week. I lost it because I decided to play the worst country music possible on it. It was great.
Oh, and I intentionally had confetti being dump constantly to gently caress up people's framerates.

Also, you can't forget the 'bombs' in that game. Basically scripted items that spawn clones of themselves virally. Some are clever and neat like trees that spread and make it look like a jungle. Some are awful like little boxes with goatse on it. Imagine, thousands filling your screen in seconds. Soon, the entire region is filled in less than a minute. Just enough time for someone in the area to say WTF before a ctd.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
I'm usually pretty tame when it comes to online games, but the day the Battlefield: 2142 demo got released I decided it was time for some prime griefing. In the game, in the main conquest type mode (you cap points which fire missiles at a shield of a gigantic ship, each team has one, until it breaks then you invade the ship and blow up the core), you would essentially have two different aerial vehicles spawn on your ship. There was the nimble, deadly jet type ship which could fly around and fire swarms of missiles and there was the dropship. Now, the thing is, the dropship while not FAST was still extremely maneuverable and a competent pilot who knew the map could fly under bridges and poo poo to avoid getting blown up by the faster ships. However this dropship was SO maneuverable that you could also do barrel-rolls, flips, and other tricks with little to no chances of crashing if you were good; even if you were in close proximity to the ground. This was NOT something that most people knew. So my goal was to get a dropship full of people, fly off to a remote corner of the map or, worse yet, directly above the enemy ship and then start pulling more tricks than a cheap hooker. Including, my personal favorite, the hop n drop. By flying the ship down, fast, at an angle about 45 degrees to the ground, then jumping out while pulling up as you do it one could leap out of the ship only to safely get back in it a few seconds later. Of course if you do this EXTREMELY close to the ground, while your ship is already damaged, with a full crew, no one bothers to switch to the pilot seat; they just leap out.

tldr: I fly people into the worst places ever, do stunts to make them think they'll die, almost crash causing them to kill themselves, but then don't crash and do it again.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

curious posted:

What's in the loving Case!!

I hope I have all the details correct.

The briefcase was well described, but it was just a solid lump of mudmatter. You could dial in a three digit combination and attempt to open the lock. The briefcase saved what the dials were set to between logins, so it looked significant. Some players became obsessed with discovering what lay within.

Some time later, Dogbolter added a new item to the garbage tables that are used for players searching in an area (an earlier post by FAG ON THE FORUMS about Holy Relics alluded to this table... small world style, I was the creator who had buffed the hell out of Holy Relics and never realised that people were searching them up until I read that.) - most things find their way into the system because players bury them, so often the assumption is that someone else had it first.

It was an open briefcase. It was stuffed with packing foam with funnily shaped depressions inside. The hinges were smeared with jam and the dials were unreadable. The game is full of stuff like this.

I vividly remember some fellow players searching desperately for 'jam' for a couple of weeks solid after they discovered the open briefcase.

TopGoon[555]
Aug 30, 2003

RotationSurgeon posted:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESuXlyvMgo

My favorite 2142 grief was blowing up the titan before the shields go down. You put your rdx on the titan core, get yourself killed by a friend on the other team, let him take your kit, and then he detonates the rdx. I reinstalled the game and apparently they patched this out =\

The other good grief was crashing planes into friendly ground vehicles. If you hit them at the right angle, they get credited with the teamkill. It worked great with transport ships because you could just load it up. On TK-punish servers, you could get your victims banned pretty quickly.

TopGoon[555] fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 3, 2009

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

"TopGoon[555 posted:

"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESuXlyvMgo

My favorite 2142 grief was blowing up the titan before the shields go down. You put your rdx on the titan core, get yourself killed by a friend on the other team, let him take your kit, and then he detonates the rdx. I reinstalled the game and apparently they patched this out =\

The other good grief was crashing planes into friendly ground vehicles. If you hit them at the right angle, they get credited with the teamkill. It worked great with transport ships because you could just load it up. On TK-punish servers, you could get your victims banned pretty quickly.

Oh, if we're going to talk TKing then let me tell you about the best way to TK ever. So you have a friend on your team, and have him load up a dropship with people. Make sure he flies over roads and flies straight, as slowly as possible. Then you get into a pod-truck (for the uninformed, trucks that fired drop-pods like from Halo out of them), drive under him, and try to hit his ship with a drop pod. If you did it just right and hit the ship under the wing it would get physicsed, go crazy and then launch at like 5000mph into a cliff.

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer
I seen a lot about eve online in this thread, but too many people have given too much emphasis on scamming and zero sec.

Personally, I prefer high sec space. for those of you not familiar with the game, this area of space is somewhat safer that low sec, because concord, an omnipotent police force, can and does omgwtfbbq people who agress others.

Now while a lot of goons here prefer 0.0, which I can understand, there is so much grief to be had in high sec that you can harass people all day and never do the same thing twice.

General Mischief

When I first started griefing, I had no mind to make money, but simple set out to pee in some one's space cherios. I created two suicide alts, and put them in gank frigates (really, really, cheap ships), and parked them both on the warp in gates in Jita. Jita is a large trade hub, and everyone would come to buy new shps and gear. A lot of people would come by auto-piloting afk just in their pods and idle at the gate.

For a little back ground, your pod in this game (think escape pod) is a tiny capsule that contains your body. its defenseless, and if destroyed, you could lose millions - sometimes even billions of Isk in implants, and if your clone was not up to date, you could lose large amounts of skill points (think XP).

So I sat on the gate and would wait for older characters to go afk in their pods, and then pop them. After a full day in jita, and several frigates later, I had a decent collection of corpses and my alts both had decent bounties on their heads - not much, but enough to cover the frigates.

Fishing for missioners

After a while, I discovered that you could scan down missioners. Missions are eve's equivelent of questing. There are people who play eve, but only do missions - they are the biggest tools in eve. They purposely grind and see no other way to play eve - I even heard on guy call out in local that level 4 missioninging was the "end game" of eve - I got a good chuckle out of that.

Anyways, so I trained up a scanning alt and would warp into their missions, which missioners always thought was their own, personal little instance. I would go about looting and salvaging all their wrecks while they poo poo bricks in local chat. I usually woudn't respond, which would further infuriate them.

The thing is, once you loot some one else's wreck, their whole corp will be able to legally attack you for your theivery shennanigans. So I would fly a cheap, wimpy frigate and let them attack me with their big, missioning battleship. This would usually inflate their heads, with an "I showed that nublet" sorta smugness. Problem is, since he agressed me, I would be have a 15 minute timer that allows me to engage him legally.

And while he's still fighting NPCs in his mission, I would fly back to station and undocked my battleship. I would warp back into his mission, beat him until his ship is about explode, and then ransom him for a resonable amount. He would pay me to save his ship, and then I would blow him up anyway, and loot as his fancy modules. Usually I would make several times what the bounty was worth.

And, if you worked your timers right, the corp timers would end (removing their right to attack you) but a personal timer against the individual would remain. More oftn then not, a dumb corpmate would fly in to rescue his friend and get killed by concord. Plus you would gain aggro against the corpie who got himself killed, so you could station camp both of them after scooping their loot!

Sveral nerfs back, you could easily kill a guy several times using a half-exploit to reset individual timers. What you could do was go back to the station and wait for him to undock. but since you only had 15 minutes to agress him since your last agression, the victims would often try to wait out their timers within the saftety of the station. But, if you warped back their their mission, you could engage anything in space that had their name on it to renew aggro - for example, would could shoot at their ships wreck, or any cans they have out. You could even kill on of the NPC ships in their mission, and since they had ownership of all the NPC wrecks in their mission, you could then shoot that wreck to renew the times.

The best thing about this is that for the longest time, even though your timer would reset on your screen, people who are docked would seen the timer RUN OUT even though it was still active!

So...Warp back to station, they undock, wait until they are too far out to dock again, web them (slowing them to a crawl). and kill/ransom them again.

This one time at band camp...

I remember one particular idiot, I killed him twice, and he payed ransom both times. That's pretty dumb. The first time I got him in his salvaging battleship (wtf?), and then next at the undock pipe in his missioning battelship. I lost timer on him after that, but then, after convoing him, I asked him if he would like to "avenge his honor" or some crap like that, and have a battleship dual. Being an exceptional idiot, he accepted. He undocked once again, and met me pretty far outide docking range.

Since the only way to duel (in high sec) is to steal from some one's can, I jetisoned a can for him. He looted it to start the match, but by doing so enabled every person in my corp to shoot him on sight. My whole corp was waiting just one system over, and everyone jumped up on him for laughs. I tried to ransom him again, but he declined, despite my ramblings about how much I believe in the honor of the duel.

They have since patched the timers so it shows when it is renewed, but it is still extendable by engaging the victim's wrecks or cans in space. They also patched webs, so kills on station are a lot harder to get. Finding missioners has become even easier with new patches. And all the missioners are smug, overconfident, and think they are badasses even though they spend all day spamming missiles/drones at npcs. Seriously, eve is ripe for griefing. I keep all my hate-mails and flip through them when I need a cheering up - those mails make it all worth it. I mean the money is nice, but the mails are just priceless.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Q-tank posted:

Stuff

Post mails please.

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer

D-Pad posted:

Post mails please.

Most of them aren't very interesting - threats of declaring war that never happen. But I'll post a few of my favorites. I also shifted through my old chat logs to give you guys a little more entertainment. Still, I'm humbled before the griefing masters in this thread, but I will do my best.

Just a few weeks ago I got this mail:

From: Ripler Weaver
Subject: DIE NOW
Message:

gently caress U AND UR CORP

cute, Short, and sweet. Apparently he was really attached to his ship =(

Another, pretty recent mail was from Judy Barbara. She was short on words too. While I didn't get her to shoot me while she was in the mission, I did drop a can, and leave a scanning alt to wait for her to come back and loot the wrecks. She looted the can, I warped in and popped her salvaging hurricane - but not until getting a 20mil ransom. I should have charged more, she paid really easily:

Judy Barbara > stop
Me > 20mil
Me > 15 seconds
Judy Barbara > OK
Me > waiting

*Money recieved*

Me > good girl
Me > lesson learned

*POP*

Judy Barbara > ......................

After getting home from work and reviewing my eve-mails, I discovered I no longer had Judy's mail, which made me really sad. No worries. I remember exactly what she said:

MOTHERFUKER

Amazing how a single word can convey so much while saying so little. and yes, she really spelled it like that. I always like to think of myself as teaching much too serious people that this is just a game of intertoob spaceships.

Backing up a bit, I found some chat logs (though he unfortunately sent me no mail) of the guy we killed three times and ransomed twice in about an hour's times.

So I drop in on him, web and scramble him. he's not going anywhere in his salvaging.

Me > hello
Deji Natrin > stop shooting a sec
Me > 50 mil and i let you go
Deji Natrin > this is my salvage rig
Me > waiting
Deji Natrin > I only got 6 mill in wallet, why are you stealing my salvage?
Me > wait.....
Me > waiting.....
Me > 6 mil, then, I suppose
Deji Natrin > ok, hold on
Me > i don't wanna kil ya
Me > time is ticking....10 seconds
Deji Natrin > sent
Me > thanks

*POP*

Sometime in here we killed him again in a destroyer, but I can't find the logs. I'm pretty sure ransom happened in local chat (tons of logs to go through, I can't be arsed.) Apparently he was trying to salvage the ship he just lost like a dumb rear end. He docks back up and timer runs out. So I convo'd him:

Deji Natrin > what now?
Me > hello again. if you want a chance to regain your honor, I'll be outside
Deji Natrin > flying what?
Me > same old same old
Deji Natrin > it's your honor that got tarnished.....attacking a defenseless salvaging ship
Me > well, here's your chance for revenge then
Deji Natrin > after stealing my mission loot....
Me > clocks ticking, again =p
Deji Natrin > hmm
Me > could make your night =) i got faction
Deji Natrin > lol
Me > well, i'll be here, i'll put a can out if you're stil interested in killking me in a serious 1v1
Me > insured?
Deji Natrin > yeah
Me > that's good =)

*He undocks and approaches me* =)

Deji Natrin > so where's this can?
Me > I think you're next to it
Me > you're going to the wrong one, i think
Me > when your ready, i suppose
Deji Natrin > this one has your picture on it
Deji Natrin > no help from friends
Me > yeah, that's it. should have small ammo in it

(he takes it, and we engage. buds warp in)

Deji Natrin > tell your friend to stop
Me > 50 mil
Deji Natrin > honor huh? your an rear end in a top hat....
Deji Natrin > out of isk...
Me > find some one with money
Deji Natrin > my corp is east coast, no one is on
Deji Natrin > oh, like last time?
Me > this is a combat ship...it's different
Deji Natrin > not falling for that again....
Me > bye

*POP*

Deji Natrin > I hope your dishonor satisfies you
Me > oh, it gives me a big boner
Deji Natrin > when you grow up and grow some balls, maybe someday we can fight for real, with out your pussy friends
Me > in the mean time, this 8 year old kicks your booty
Me > with his 5 year old sidekicks, of course
Deji Natrin > I'll be enjoying all the isk from the insurance, goodnight, don't wet the bed tonight
Me > o/ you too

(poo poo this was a long post. sorry)

edit: my images don't work. gently caress me.

Q-tank fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 5, 2009

Sigvatr
Jan 7, 2008

by elpintogrande
I know I am a huge rear end in a top hat as it is already, but I estimate that 90% of the time I spent in all online games is spent on griefing. I have much more fun laughing my brains out ruining people's fun then trying to play legitimately.

Here are some of my favorite things to do:

1) DOD: Source, start of round in axis side of jagd: Set up a machine gun and kill your entire team as they enter the church, which is the only way to get out of the spawn. Huge lols.

2) BF2142: Hover a drop pod around your team's mech, then ram it as soon as someone gets in. Half the time, they will get blamed for the team kill, so you can punish them, which is even funnier.

3) BF2142: Spawn on your titan with some remote bombs and stick them to your reactor core. Land on the ground and let your friend on the other team kill you. He will then pick up your inventory and use it to blow up the bombs. This can end the round in a few minutes.

4) BF2: In wake island, get in the transport chopper on the carrier at the start of a round and about a million guys will get inside. Fly around the side of the island really close to the edge of the map so your team mates think you are trying to be sneaky and get around to the Chinese base without getting shot down. Instead, when you get to the other side of the map which takes loving ages, fly over the edge of the map and people will gradually begin jumping out and desperately trying to swim to shore before they day in vain.

5) BF2: Commander voice spamming, a classic.

6) BF2: Radio for a pick up. A guy in a jeep will turn around and come to the base to pick you up because he is considerate. Shoot him in the face and take the jeep and drive away. It's even funnier than normal because he tried to help you.

7) BF2: When your squad tries to cap a flag, drop a C4 next to it and kill all of them. It's even funnier if your team loses the round because of it.

Generally speaking, having a friend to grief with at the same time results in much more hilarious griefing that is sometimes otherwise impossible.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Sigvatr posted:

3) BF2142: Spawn on your titan with some remote bombs and stick them to your reactor core. Land on the ground and let your friend on the other team kill you. He will then pick up your inventory and use it to blow up the bombs. This can end the round in a few minutes.

Someone said this was patched already, can you confirm if that's the case? If not then I know a half dozen people that will be having fun doing this tonight.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really grief, and I know it's lame compared to the epic ones posted on this chat but there was this one time in Battle Field: Bad Company. We were playing Gold Mine and when the match started I ran to the artillery strike for the easy kills. Well I got a total of 2 shots off before some one on my team killed me and took it for himself.

So I pulled on of our tanks out and drove it right up to him. I waited untill he fired so his view would pull back to show the barrel of the tank right on his face and blew him up with the artillery strike. I hid behind the shack and spyed on him while he waited for it to respawn. As soon as he got on it, I knifed him and took his dogtags.

I kept this up for a while before he finally knifed me to death. All in all I killed him about a total of 30 times to his 2 [if you count the first one] and by now our team had moved on up to the last base.

I started to wonder if it was worth it when I see him artillery strike again. So I grabbed a tank, drove back to find him wandering around in the base, waiting for me. Unfortunately for him, he had his back to me so I simply ran him over, leaving him to rage quit.

That's the best I got.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I have a quick story in the same vein of the other bad company story.

On Oasis we were the attacking team and we had pushed the other team back to one of their last bases. I was in a tank and decided to check out my main spawn to see if there was anything interesting there. Driving into the base I see one of my team members sitting on the arty not doing anything. I decided to run into the arty with my tank and to my surprise it hurt the arty. I ran into it again and it blew the arty up giving the guy sitting in the arty a suicide.

HonestAbe
Nov 12, 2005
Not stupid enough to understand
UO Serial Killers

My friend and I had no idea what we were doing in this game, all I know is that we had a blast just trying to stay alive and wandering around. Our brief moment of fame came in the form of our adventures in Moonglow I think the town was called.

We would wander around the woods, slaying happy forest creatures, until one day I discovered that Wandering Healers were easy prey. We would kill them wherever we found them, take their robes off, and dye them pink, then put them back on, sometimes we would cut up the robes into pink bandages. This was our calling card and trophy. After doing this for several weeks I had the pleasure of seeing people talk about it on several occasions:

"Any idea who the psycho serial killer is that's killing all the wandering healers and dyeing their robes pink?"

"No, wait what? What a sick gently caress!"

HonestAbe
Nov 12, 2005
Not stupid enough to understand

Red_Mage posted:

World of Warcraft has an early level raid in TBC called Serpent Shrine Caverns. The easiest boss therein is the Lurker Below, a leviathan that has to be fished up from a circular atoll. To keep the fight interesting he spins in circles with a water spout, and if you are not underwater, the spout hits you and you will die. To prevent you from staying underwater the entire time, the water applies a dot that ticks for about 700 a second.

One of our shaman healers realized she could apply waterwalking to herself and res people out standing on the water, not taking damage. Of course everyone she ressed (she was downranking her spell to ensure low health levels) was instantly killed by falling in the damage water. She got more than half the raid before we figured out what she was doing.

Something to add about this fight, it takes place on a ring of floating platform, the boss must be summoned by fishing in the center of the ring, sometimes this takes a few minutes, sometimes it's almost instant. When my guild was going to try this boss for the first time, I was on my druid, and I hopped quietly into the water, shifted into Aquatic form, and than swam up and right under where they were fishing, I pop up in the middle of the ring, start thrashing around and I scream on vent 'HOLY poo poo THERE HE IS PICK HIM UP PICK HIM UP' and watch everyone freak out and scramble trying to target me for a few secconds. Then as everyone figures it out and recovers, the REAL lurker who's like 20x bigger than me pops up and starts owning people.

Another amusing story I have is about the boss Gruul. When he's engaged in his cave, a gate slams shut trapping everyone inside. Well everyone was outside the gate, and I decide I wanna see how many snowballs I can hit him with before I die, everyone places their bets, and I charge in throwing snowballs, hit him with 3, die, the gate's shut, but as everyone is laughing at me, he ignores it, clips through the wall, and stomps everyone in a matter of secconds.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

turd posted:

Someone always wants the crap in my house. So I'd magic us both to the house and tell our victim to go in and take whatever he can carry. Because the house was private, as soon as the victim set foot onto the house he was attackable to the 5 or so guys hidden in and around it. He'd be killed in seconds, and because he was technically a criminal by being on the property there was no negative repercussion for any of the murderers involved. There were lots of incredulous OoOoOOoooOoooos from people who had no clue what just happened to them.
... so basically it was Texas.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Eve Chatporn posted:

<@Mako> who is arkannen
<@Mako> who is arkannen
<@Mako> some with that name took al the wallet from hat
<@Mako> and left reson
<@LadyScarlet> huh
<@Mako> the mittani says hi
<@LadyScarlet> omg
<@LadyScarlet> you have got to be ****ting
<@Dian> rut roh
<@wizzard66> Arkannen - Haargoth Agamar
<@LadyScarlet> but harrgoth is in here
<@Dian> hahaha

Crossposting this from the goonfleet threads, but some epic loving griefing just went down today. Somehow or another one of BoB's (goonfleets most hated enemy) directors had gotten pretty jaded with his alliance and ended up getting recruited by goons. Turns out this guy not only had access to his corporations money but overall access to the alliance as well, so goonfleet's head of intelligence (mittani) had this guy close the entire alliance and do the usual smash and grab on all the money he could get. Basically what this means is that all the space stations these guys had have reverted to their corporations, a whole bunch of poo poo they had building is either destroyed or inaccessible, and because their space stations are no longer asserting ownership of their space all the overarching game mechanics that deter invasion (sovereignty, it keeps other alliances from bringing in capital class ships) have disappeared. Basically, all their territory has been turned into the wild west and is up for grabs to whoever can grab it. On top of that the BoB alliance name has been snagged and officially made part of Goonswarm. It's loving epic and the only thing everyone knows for sure is about to happen is drama the Greeks would envy.

vvvvvv-:smug:

OBi fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 5, 2009

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
^^E; f, b by SECONDS :argh:^^

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

So reading up on this, apparently Goonfleet got this director to switch teams simply by being nice to him. BoB was too full of itself and treated him like poo poo, he grabbed at the chance to have fun again.

Goons killed BoB with kindness.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
I will never play eve but I love reading about griefing in that game, especially on this scale. This latest BoB takeover by goonswarm was reported on shacknews which is where I first read about it.

From the eve forums:

quote:

...this way of playtype is just sick.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 5, 2009

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Oh, man, that sounds awesome -- link me to somewhere I can read about what just happened in more detail -- that sounds like a lot of ISK in damages/stolen goods.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Broken Box posted:

So reading up on this, apparently Goonfleet got this director to switch teams simply by being nice to him. BoB was too full of itself and treated him like poo poo, he grabbed at the chance to have fun again.

Goons killed BoB with kindness.

I remember reading about the epic galaxy war last year and how BoB was going on about being the 800 pound gorilla that nobody could touch, blah blah... so they're completely ransacked and disbanded now? That's some funny poo poo.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Colbear posted:

Oh, man, that sounds awesome -- link me to somewhere I can read about what just happened in more detail -- that sounds like a lot of ISK in damages/stolen goods.

I just said it was reported on shacknews, go look there

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hwangin Tough posted:

I just said it was reported on shacknews, go look there

And you don't even have to look hard, it's on the front page.

Edit: so what's the going rate for isk-per-dollar? If this article is accurate in saying that "trillions of isk" were transferred to Goonfleet, I want to know what kind of real-world value we're talking about here. And if that much isk could be used to crash the in-game economy with hyperinflation or something.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 5, 2009

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

McSpanky posted:

And you don't even have to look hard, it's on the front page.

Edit: so what's the going rate for isk-per-dollar? If this article is accurate in saying that "trillions of isk" were transferred to Goonfleet, I want to know what kind of real-world value we're talking about here. And if that much isk could be used to crash the in-game economy with hyperinflation or something.

Yeah, I've read the article -- the MMO HMO thread had some chatlogs which were entertaining too, and I'm slowly skimming the ingame forum thread about it.

The going rate, last time I checked (which was in, uh, I think late 2006 or early 2007?), was about 150 million ISK (maybe 150m-200m) for a month's subscription (15 bucks?)

Some guy did a Ponzi scheme worth 17 grand, previously. 1 trillion is equal to a million million, so, at 150m per, 1 trillion is 6.67 thousand dollars.

EDIT: poo poo I fail at math hang on. 1 trillion is worth 6.67 thousand time cards. At 15 bucks each, that's approaching 100 grand in USD per trillion isk.

EDIT2: I don't think you can legally/easily convert that to real money, though, so it'll probably just go into Goonfleet stuff -- what I really want is a summary/short inventory of a few things:
stolen assets (stuff taken from BoB that goes to Goonfleet)
smashed assets (stuff destroyed from BoB that is gone forever)
destroyed non-valued assets (like, how much sovereignty and the halted ship production, etc, represents in terms of time investment)
and stolen non-value assets (if you can even steal these -- I guess the 0-sec space that Goonswarm manages to grab before other corps do?)

EDIT: It can't really crash anything, by the way -- a lot of alliances, I think, should be self-sufficient, and a lot of pubbies stay in safespace and play with NPCs. To some extent, you can maybe gently caress with prices for select items, but you can't destroy a staple good or anything like that.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 5, 2009

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Goonfleet just basically deleted the BOB alliance. How's that for griefing?

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank

Zilart posted:

Goonfleet just basically deleted the BOB alliance. How's that for griefing?

I've just been reading this, this is griefing on a loving incredible scale. Wow. Holy poo poo goonswarm, holy poo poo.

NeoGlyphix
Jun 6, 2006

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollowpoints expand on impact.

Zilart posted:

Goonfleet just basically deleted the BOB alliance. How's that for griefing?

That is some wild poo poo, I would also like to take this post as an opportunity to thank you guys for giving me something to read during my endless days as an intern at a company that paid me to sit in a cube and surf the web.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
Apparently goonfleet just griefed eve online

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
I don't play EVE so I need a bit more perspective; BoB is the biggest alliance, correct? How many other alliances come even close?

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

Patashu posted:

I don't play EVE so I need a bit more perspective; BoB is the biggest alliance, correct? How many other alliances come even close?

Goonswarm. *nods sagely*

loving EPIC grief there. Well done Goonswarm, well done.

I pity the poor fools who have to deal with the sudden alliance death, they are SO screwed.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Early versions of the Synergy mod for Half-Life 2 made griefing easy. You could stand in doorways and prevent anybody from walking past. I called myself 'Doorman', blocked the entire team inside the spawn room and told them that if their name wasn't down they weren't coming in. You could also punch barrels and crates with that power fist thing and if they hit someone they'd kill them outright, but it wouldn't count as a kill.

Battlefield 1942 had endless opportunities for fun. Until they patched it you could crawl under various structures, including most of the hangers, and kill the opposing team without them being able to touch you. This worked beautifully in Omaha Beach, where you could crawl under a bunker and shoot the allies as they spawned, preventing most of them from getting to the last flag. Used to drive them insane.

There's a bug in Desert Combat that'll probably never be patched. Choose engineer, get a vehicle and shoot it or smash it into a building until it's on fire. Then repair it to full health. Your vehicle can now drive underwater. If you go into the sea it just drives along the sea bed like there's no water. You can shoot out, but unless you're right near the surface they can't touch you. After a while the game thinks you're drowning and starts killing you, but hop in one of those Iraqi APCs and you can heal to stay alive, or just drive out of the sea and back in again and it'll reset. Use this in CTF games on Wake Island - sneak round to the enemy base, nab the flag then escape underwater and hold onto it for the entire round.

Zombie Layne
Aug 16, 2008

by Ozma
I was tempted to check out eve during the last goon recruitment thread in here but backed out because of the time sink factor. I'm not sure about the details of the game but this sounds hilarious. Ripping off some player organization for roughly $100k in real life money from convertible game assets and also causing them to disband is quite an achievement. I bet there are going to be lots of tears over this and the drama should be quite funny.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely amazing. I'm sure some people actually cried real tears when they realized what happened in eve. I'm impressed.

This is how online games are meant to be played! gently caress stats and leveling, this is how fun is really had.

Anyone have a before/after map of the territory that was up cleared? I'm curious.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 5, 2009

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Are the W-hats still around on SL?

  • Locked thread