Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

God-damned Pilates posted:

It is important to emphasize how fat the CB750 is. With the 250, you can kind of throw it around like it was a bicycle at slow speed, and it's very forgiving in this way. If you stop paying attention at slower speeds, the CB750 will decide it likes the ground. A lot. Just be sure you're conscious of this at all times and practice counter-leaning in a parking lot before really going at it. The seat is a lot broader than the MSF bikes, and it takes a bit of getting used to if that's your only experience.

It's also not a Nighthawk as of '82. It becomes one in '83 (different tank/tail fairing) and promptly disappears in '84 to make way for the CB700SC, which is a pretty sweet bike in and of itself.

Make sure the valves are properly shimmed (I went as close to .005 all around as I could, and ended up closer to .006; err on the side of loose), you sync the carbs, and change the oil frequently and you should do well with that bike.

Actually everything I've read about my bike says that 1982 was the first year for the CB750SC "Nighthawk", at least according to Wikipedia and http://hondanighthawks.net/750.htm.

I figured since the bike was in decentish, shape and was offered to me for a $1000, and had some rarity value (only year they did the blue frame plus being the first year Nighthawk) I figured even if I spend another grand over the next year or so getting it in shape I'm ahead of the game.

And yeah, this thing is way, way, way heavier then the 250 Nighthawk I rode in the MSF. I could probably bench press that bike if I had to. This thing feels like it would break my leg if it went over at a stop light.

Besides eBay and Amazon do you have a good resource for shop manuals for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gr3y posted:

Actually everything I've read about my bike says that 1982 was the first year for the CB750SC "Nighthawk", at least according to Wikipedia and http://hondanighthawks.net/750.htm.

I figured since the bike was in decentish, shape and was offered to me for a $1000, and had some rarity value (only year they did the blue frame plus being the first year Nighthawk) I figured even if I spend another grand over the next year or so getting it in shape I'm ahead of the game.

And yeah, this thing is way, way, way heavier then the 250 Nighthawk I rode in the MSF. I could probably bench press that bike if I had to. This thing feels like it would break my leg if it went over at a stop light.

Besides eBay and Amazon do you have a good resource for shop manuals for this thing?

I stand corrected.

Head on over to the DOHC Custom site: http://www.cb750c.com/ for assistance. You can also go to the F-bike site: http://www.cb1100f.net/

...but don't mention you have a Nighthawk at the F site. They're weird about that sort of thing, and although they're all generally nice guys, they have a thing about the F bike being significantly better than the K/C bikes, though they're exactly the same with the exception of chassis geometry and shaft/chain drive. People who post at one site tend to post at the other, so the ire at non-F bikes makes even less sense.

The Custom site has a specific subforum for 82 Nighthawks, but you may be better off posting in the general section. One year bikes don't tend to provide much traffic to dedicated forums ;)

As far as shop manuals, you can get away with using the manual for a 1979-82 DOHC CB 750/900/1100. The only difference on your bike will be plastics and possibly fork diameter. The engine is exactly the same as the one on my CB750. The 900 and 1100 are just bored out/stroked and slightly improved (hotter cam/bigger jetted) versions of the same engine. If your tensioners go, try to get ahold of the ones out of the 1100; the 750 and 900 used plastic tensioners, which was the achilles heel of early 80's Hondas. The 1100 at least used metal.

Depending on how history works itself out, your bike is a bit more rare than you give yourself credit for -- in the US at least, I believe Canada got it a few more years -- the engine is run of the mill, but the 750 Nighthawk wasn't revived in the US until the early 90's. The name might've lived on throughout the years, but your bike is unique in its general position. It'll never be worth what a CBX is (or, sadly, the 84-85 CB700SC noted above), but it's an interesting piece of history in and of itself.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nighthawks are very stable and maneuverable at low speeds. A 750 Nighthawk was my wife's first bike and at 5-9, 130 lbs.; she had absolutely no problem handling it. They really are one of the best standards ever made.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
any opinion on this?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
It's shiny. If it's the 750 or above, that's a "not a good idea". I'm seeing 80hp for it. 500's fine with 64hp specified by Honda, although on the high side.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I have no idea what that means.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
750cc = displacement. hp = Horse power.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Yeah, I understand that part but when you say that "500's fine with 64hp specified by Honda, although on the high side" are you just saying that the bike is a little too powerful for a first time rider?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

xREED LORD 420x posted:

Yeah, I understand that part but when you say that "500's fine with 64hp specified by Honda, although on the high side" are you just saying that the bike is a little too powerful for a first time rider?

I think what she's refering to is the 2 differnet displacement models?

I'd say that even the 750 is probably ok..it's a cruiser, so it's not going to wheelie or pull anything really stupid on you. But it's something to be aware of if you're the sort who's given to a lot of speed :)

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I'm thinking of this currently for a first bike:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220357929893

I'm planning to meet with the guy and inspect the bike and see if I can negotiate a better price. Any recommendations re: things to check for on the bike, and what's a good deal pricewise?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

xREED LORD 420x posted:

any opinion on this?

My friend had an '86 and it was fairly powerful and well regarded. Cleaned up they look nice.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

xREED LORD 420x posted:

any opinion on this?

The old VFR motors are notoriously hard to work on. That said the V45 in that bike has comparable output to the CB750 you posted earlier. The Magna also has a six speed gearbox and looks to be about 50 pounds lighter.

Parts are probably going to be harder to come by as well. However I would think that the Magna would probably have a slightly higher resale value, all things being equal.

Both bikes are have around ~66 hp, and meet most of the criteria for safe beginner bike. If the 750 didn't I wouldn't have gotten one for myself.

Just make sure it is a V45, not a V65, as those bikes were stupid loving fast (for a while some of the fastest production bikes in the world).

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I just found a '96 Ninja 500r in flawless condition for $900 with 16,000 miles. God help me if it gets sold out from under me.

Prince
Jul 12, 2006
I HOPE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FIST BECAUSE IM GOING TO RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND BREAK YOUR GOD DAMN SPINE
Well I just bought a 1981 (1980?) CX 500

Its my first bike. Got it for $2200 AUD (thats a good price for Australia, please don't remind me how much they are in the US!).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

I'd say that even the 750 is probably ok..it's a cruiser, so it's not going to wheelie or pull anything really stupid on you.
didn't he link to a magna? aren't those like a 700+cc v4 that was the most powerful production bike at the time?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

didn't he link to a magna? aren't those like a 700+cc v4 that was the most powerful production bike at the time?

He linked to the V45. There's a V65 as well that has 116 horses, which is pretty high for the early eighties.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Prince posted:

Well I just bought a 1981 (1980?) CX 500

Its my first bike. Got it for $2200 AUD (thats a good price for Australia, please don't remind me how much they are in the US!).

They're not too much cheaper in the US:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1028702479.html

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
ARGH! All these great bikes are popping up on my local craigslist now instead of when I had the drat momey to afford them! Curse you lovely work schedule and/or crappy economy! Within 30 minutes of me are 3 Ninja 250s all less than $3k and less than 5k miles on them. Then there's the Ninja 500 and DRZs and GS500f for less than 3500 practically brand spankin' new!

edit: Hampton Roads, Virginia for anyone close who wants to see a few good deals (for this area).

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Magna#.22Specifications.22

It is a cruiser, but it isn't. I'd say it's like Suzuki's GS L series. It is pretty. It might be ok, but don't be fooled into thinking it's like every other cruiser. Its dry weight is only 482.7 lbs. That's not really a number that's going to bog down the hp much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kdc67 posted:

It is a cruiser, but it isn't. I'd say it's like Suzuki's GS L series. It is pretty. It might be ok, but don't be fooled into thinking it's like every other cruiser. Its dry weight is only 482.7 lbs. That's not really a number that's going to bog down the hp much.

Wheelbase is 60 inches, which is 4.5 inches longer than an SV, with much more relaxed steering geometry, seating position, weight weight is going to be 550 poundish, and the V4 isn't going to have a particularly harsh power delivery. Is it going to be quick? Yes, but it's still gonna be slower than, say, an SV. An SV is on the boarderline for an appropriate starter. The magna is slower, with a more relaxed seating position, more forgiving geometry, and all around will be a much more relaxed, managable bike. Just because it's listed at 80.3hp doesn't mean it's a bad starter bike. Plus I bet that over the last 25 years it's lost at least 10 hp. :v:

There's more to it than just the raw numbers. Again, as I said before, if you're given to excessive amounts of speed, probably not the best bike to look at, but if you're capable of keeping yourself in check, then it's not a bad starter.

Also, a dry weight of 483 pounds is very heavy by modern standards. Ninja 250 is 300ish, SV is 364, modern SS is 380. 25 year old 80 HP motor pushing probably 550 pounds wet is going to be quick but not out of the range of feasable for a new rider.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 11, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

kdc67 posted:

If you looked where it was positioned in the VF series of bikes, it very much is the cruiser. The Saber was the standard, the Magna the cruiser, and the Interceptor was the sport bike.

Even the v65 Magna was a cruiser. A cruiser that was capable of a reported 186 miles per hour, but still a cruiser.

Doesn't mean you can't do suicidally stupid poo poo on it, but it's probably not a terrible choice for a beginner ride.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Z3n posted:

Also, a dry weight of 483 pounds is very heavy by modern standards. Ninja 250 is 300ish, SV is 364, modern SS is 380. 25 year old 80 HP motor pushing probably 550 pounds wet is going to be quick but not out of the range of feasable for a new rider.

Those are apple to orange comparisons, a V45 compares better to a Vulcan.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gr3y posted:

If you looked where it was positioned in the VF series of bikes, it very much is the cruiser. The Saber was the standard, the Magna the cruiser, and the Interceptor was the sport bike.

Even the v65 Magna was a cruiser. A cruiser that was capable of a reported 186 miles per hour, but still a cruiser.

Doesn't mean you can't do suicidally stupid poo poo on it, but it's probably not a terrible choice for a beginner ride.

The one in the link was a V45, though. It's not even remotely as powerful as the V65, which for the record, I would say is way too much for a beginner even as a cruiser.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Model: Honda VF 750 C
Year: 1984
Power: 82.00 HP (59.9 kW)) @ 9500 RPM
too much.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the guy a call and try to get some more info about the bike. My friend's dad knows a bit about bikes and suggested that I ask about the milage, if the bike had any problems even if they were fixed, and what kind of driving the owner used it for (weekend crusing, commuter, etc). Is there anything else you guys think I should ask about?

Edit: Engine size too, since it seems like there's been some confusion about that.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 12, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Okay I might have actually found a bike I will buy.

1982 suzuki GS400 - $300

quote:

This would make a perfect summer project/commuter! it's been in the garage for about a year and a half...and i'm moving to vancouver so i need to sell it in the next month or so! Needs some tlc...battery is dead, rear tire could use replacing (pretty bald) , and could use some work on the loose ignition. When batter is charged it does start and runs pretty well! Make me an offer! and come get it!

He wants $300, but I might offer him $250 and see if he bites. I'm a little weery on the "loose ignition" but I figure it can't be that bad if it runs. Tires are a given, and batteries are cheap.

Thing is, I looked it up and it has 27hp. It only weighs 400 pounds though, but will the low power be an issue for highway riding?

Edit: Pictures!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

1982 suzuki GS400 - $300

He wants $300, but I might offer him $250 and see if he bites. I'm a little weery on the "loose ignition" but I figure it can't be that bad if it runs. Tires are a given, and batteries are cheap.

Thing is, I looked it up and it has 27hp. It only weighs 400 pounds though, but will the low power be an issue for highway riding?

Edit: Pictures!

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS400.shtml

27hp looks like the # for the restricted version. Either way, you should be fine at freeway speeds on that. It's not gonna be fast, but it'll be capable.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS400.shtml

27hp looks like the # for the restricted version. Either way, you should be fine at freeway speeds on that. It's not gonna be fast, but it'll be capable.

Ahh okay. If it's an otherwise decent bike, I'll go there on the weekend and maybe bring it home!

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

MrZig posted:

Ahh okay. If it's an otherwise decent bike, I'll go there on the weekend and maybe bring it home!

If you can, bring a known good battery with you to test. "It just needs a battery" can translate to, "It needs a battery before you can diagnose a host of other problems."

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

MrZig posted:

1982 suzuki GS400 - $300

Buy it. Buy it now. It'll be fun. $300 for that bike is ripping him off. :) If it turns out you want to put more power in it for the highway and such, that can be arranged. *grin*

Zenaida posted:

If you can, bring a known good battery with you to test. "It just needs a battery" can translate to, "It needs a battery before you can diagnose a host of other problems."

Nnnnope to the host of other problems. If the battery's not holding a charge all that's going to need replacing is the regulator / rectifier. Easy fix.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

kdc67 posted:

Nnnnope to the host of other problems. If the battery's not holding a charge all that's going to need replacing is the regulator / rectifier. Easy fix.

Admittedly, I'm just echoing the many, many posts I've read on here saying, "If all it needed was a battery, why wouldn't they just replace it and sell it for more?"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
A GS450 top end, will provide roughly 45hp. Just decorking the head (I'm betting there's restrictions in the intake boots...) could get you 35hp.

If you tuck, you should be able to see 100mph.

The bike has lots of ways to make it lighter. Being a larger displacement bike for the amount of power it makes, they have torque. The GS450L i had would loft the front tire without a lot of effort.

Oh yeah, even better, the same bike was built from 1977-1982. That gives you a wide range of years to find replacement parts from. The same engine has been in production from 1977 through today. The GS500 motor is, for all intents and purposes, the same motor. And then it's also a Suzuki, which means you can typically look for "suzuki" or "GS parts", versus "GS twin parts" or worse yet "1982 CB650SC parts"

Seriously, running, $300.. BUY IT.

Oh, and so long as you keep on top of it, and look for cheap cosmetic bits. You will be able to sell it for $5-800 in the riding season.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
This all sounds glorious. Screw waiting for the weekend, I'm going tomorrow to pick it up. He said this:

quote:

I haven't tried starting it in about a year, so hopefully we can get it cranked over..should be able to!

I got it for $400 a few summers back, and the only thing thats changed is that i have it a nice clean and polished the chrome up the best i could. so yeah i hate to see it go for any less.

So I'll just give him $300 for it. Anything lower would be an insult. He's also my sister's friend so if it turns out to suck, I can always track him down. Bwahaha.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Well I bought it. Just before I got there he called me saying he got an offer for $550 and that he cant sell it to me for only $300. Which was bullshit since we agreed to it online the night before..

However I got it for $450. The front brake doesn't make the light work, the tachometer doesn't work, it idles a little rough but otherwise runs good. I took it up and down the street (first time ever on a bike) and it felt good. It just needs a battery as it has no kick start.

I'll post a thread about it sometime with pictures.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Haha, why would somebody offer more than the list price for the bike?

"Say, that price you're asking for is too low! Would you be willing to take more?"

Congratulations on getting the bike, but it sounds like you got walked all over.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

"Say, that price you're asking for is too low! Would you be willing to take more?"

Congratulations on getting the bike, but it sounds like you got walked all over.

I was going to mention this. Almost every time I've tried to buy a bike or car I've had the seller pull the "Well someone's coming to see it tomorrow / offered me my asking price / took a look and is calling me back" sales ploy but I've never heard of someone saying they were offered more than their asking price.

When I bought my project KZ I lowballed the seller with $300 and was told that someone had offered them $400 and just wanted to take a look at the bike the next day before buying it. The plow blew up on him though because I walked. Low and behold I got a call from him two days later because suddenly the bike was available again, and at the low price of $300.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I was going to mention this. Almost every time I've tried to buy a bike or car I've had the seller pull the "Well someone's coming to see it tomorrow / offered me my asking price / took a look and is calling me back" sales ploy but I've never heard of someone saying they were offered more than their asking price.

When I bought my project KZ I lowballed the seller with $300 and was told that someone had offered them $400 and just wanted to take a look at the bike the next day before buying it. The plow blew up on him though because I walked. Low and behold I got a call from him two days later because suddenly the bike was available again, and at the low price of $300.

It doesn't sound that impossible. My girlfriend just sold our bedframe on CL and 3 hours before the people who were coming for it were supposed to arrive, someone else called about it. Lucia told them someone was already coming for it and they offered us $30 more. We went with the first people b/c $30 wasn't worth the trouble, but it doesn't sound that out of the ordinary.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

MrZig posted:

However I got it for $450. The front brake doesn't make the light work, the tachometer doesn't work, it idles a little rough but otherwise runs good. I took it up and down the street (first time ever on a bike) and it felt good. It just needs a battery as it has no kick start.

I'll post a thread about it sometime with pictures.

So nothing that can't be fixed easily. :) You will definitely want to fix the front brake turning the light on. Nero can help you with that. Oh yes, and good news! You've got the easy carbs to work on. Man, I really want to get my 400 together now.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Easy. "I've already got someone interested in buying it." $450's STILL a good price for it. Is there even a speck of rust on that thing?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm guessing since we pretty much had a deal on the night previously, someone must have phoned him and found out that I'm picking it up, so he offered more than me.

I called him out on it when he told me, and told him it was complete bullshit but he wouldn't budge. I believe him, he is my sister's friend and he seems like a good guy. If I got walked on, well whatever, it's still worth $450! And I look at it in the carport and it makes me so happy. I think I'm in love.

Also there's practically no rust at all. A little bit, and I mean little, on the tank and frame but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That bike doesn't have sidecovers. I happen to have a very pretty set of GS400 sidecovers. I don't intend on using them, as they're fairly fragile. However, I do have several yards of fiberglass cloth. And I'm not so shabby at taking molds.

Where are you from? If you're in the US, I'll happily pop a set of covers for you.

Arrgh, that reminds me, I still owe phat albert an o2 sensor.