Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

deltawing posted:

I am new to Post Rock, and have only heard an album from 65DoS, God is an Astranaut and Fen (Black Metal/Post-Rock).

I enjoy Agalloch a lot, as I am a metal fan, and I've been wanting to get into Post-Rock a lot moreso lately.

Can you give me recommendations of the most classic Post-Rock albums ever, please?

You should definitely give Alcest a listen if you are a metal fan. If you're into black metal, you may know the guy behind the band, Neige, as one of the members of Peste Noire and Amesoeurs. It's not really post-rock - it sounds more like My Bloody Valentine than, say, Mogwai - but it's still excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Finallyyyyy!

MONO has released the teaser site for Hymn to the Immortal Wind (their 5th album, for those who haven't been keeping tabs).

They have a whole orchestra backing them for this one, and it looks positively awesome. The one track they have up on the site feels like hearing You Are There all over again. :swoon:

They're apparently touring with the orchestra, but only have one date announced in America at the moment, in New York... This may be my excuse to take my first ever trip to NYC. :3:

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

HamsterHuey posted:

You should definitely give Alcest a listen if you are a metal fan. If you're into black metal, you may know the guy behind the band, Neige, as one of the members of Peste Noire and Amesoeurs. It's not really post-rock - it sounds more like My Bloody Valentine than, say, Mogwai - but it's still excellent.

I've heard a lot about Peste Noire...if I enjoy Alcest, would you recommend Peste?

Also, thanks for the recommendation! :)

^to both of you, actually^

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

deltawing posted:

I am new to Post Rock, and have only heard an album from 65DoS, God is an Astranaut and Fen (Black Metal/Post-Rock).

I enjoy Agalloch a lot, as I am a metal fan, and I've been wanting to get into Post-Rock a lot moreso lately.

Can you give me recommendations of the most classic Post-Rock albums ever, please?

Definitely check out Russian Circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

deltawing posted:

I've heard a lot about Peste Noire...if I enjoy Alcest, would you recommend Peste?

It's kinda hard to lump Peste Noire and Alcest together, because even though they are slightly similar musically, Alcest is definitely far... nicer sounding. No screaming, less abrasive - heck, the song "Tir Nan Og" sounds almost new-agey. Peste Noire are fairly melodic at times, but it's still pretty straightforward black metal. You mentioned Agalloch; Alcest is going to be kind of similar to the song "Limbs" (just without the screaming).

Jesu is another mildly similar artist who can sometimes fit in the post-rock umbrella. Again, some metal influence and recently some of the same sort of shoegaze sound that Alcest has going on. Actually, if you're digging Alcest and Jesu, you might do well to dabble with some shoegaze and check out My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive.

As for your request of "classic post-rock albums"... Well, opinions are going to vary, but you'd do no wrong with The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place or All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky or Young Team by Mogwai. The Four Trees by Caspian is pretty well-loved around here, too.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

HamsterHuey posted:

It's kinda hard to lump Peste Noire and Alcest together, because even though they are slightly similar musically, Alcest is definitely far... nicer sounding. No screaming, less abrasive - heck, the song "Tir Nan Og" sounds almost new-agey. Peste Noire are fairly melodic at times, but it's still pretty straightforward black metal. You mentioned Agalloch; Alcest is going to be kind of similar to the song "Limbs" (just without the screaming).

Jesu is another mildly similar artist who can sometimes fit in the post-rock umbrella. Again, some metal influence and recently some of the same sort of shoegaze sound that Alcest has going on. Actually, if you're digging Alcest and Jesu, you might do well to dabble with some shoegaze and check out My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive.

As for your request of "classic post-rock albums"... Well, opinions are going to vary, but you'd do no wrong with The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place or All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone by Explosions in the Sky or Young Team by Mogwai. The Four Trees by Caspian is pretty well-loved around here, too.

You mention shoegaze, which is a term I am not very familiar with the exact meaning of. I know my metal inside out, but this is a new term for me, I'd appreciate some elaboration!

Also, thanks for the classic recs. Jesu is a band I've heard a lot about the past few years, will look into checking them out.

Also, I love Agalloch.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

deltawing posted:

You mention shoegaze, which is a term I am not very familiar with the exact meaning of. I know my metal inside out, but this is a new term for me, I'd appreciate some elaboration!

Also, thanks for the classic recs. Jesu is a band I've heard a lot about the past few years, will look into checking them out.

Also, I love Agalloch.

Agalloch are pretty sweet.

Shoegaze is usually characterized with a lot of distortion, droning guitar riffs and a "wall of sound" - that is, it's generally pretty noisy, thickly layered - nothing in the music is usually prominently defined, even the vocals. There's a lot of variation and these definitely aren't "rules", but expect some fuzziness. Wikipedia does a pretty good job covering all the bases. You should listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. If "Only Shallow" doesn't hook you, nothing will!

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

HamsterHuey posted:

Agalloch are pretty sweet.

Shoegaze is usually characterized with a lot of distortion, droning guitar riffs and a "wall of sound" - that is, it's generally pretty noisy, thickly layered - nothing in the music is usually prominently defined, even the vocals. There's a lot of variation and these definitely aren't "rules", but expect some fuzziness. Wikipedia does a pretty good job covering all the bases. You should listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. If "Only Shallow" doesn't hook you, nothing will!

Gotcha, thanks.

Droney stuff really turns me off, I just think to myself "SPEED IT UP ALREADY, gently caress! ANY TIME, NOW!" Hence why I'm not a huge Doom Metal fan, but I'll get around to shoegazey stuff eventually. I'm gonna enjoy post-rock for the current moment.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Jan posted:

They're apparently touring with the orchestra, but only have one date announced in America at the moment, in New York... This may be my excuse to take my first ever trip to NYC. :3:

I believe they're set on only playing that one show in the US. The show is a big deal though - it's the celebration of their 10th year or something.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

Definitely check out Russian Circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

If you like Russian Circles, check out Riding Panico.

Ooh, new Mono coming, outstanding. Great timing checking this thread for the first time in months.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

And if you like Russian Circles check out Adai and North.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

And if you like Russian Circles check out Adai and North.

Emphasis on Adai. That ...I Carry EP is pretty sweet, and way too short.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
So I like the new Appleseed Cast record, but I haven't really explored the rest of the band's discography. Where should I move from here?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

citizenlowell posted:

So I like the new Appleseed Cast record, but I haven't really explored the rest of the band's discography. Where should I move from here?

The only album of theirs that I've listened to all the way through is Peregrine, and it's drat good. I've heard Low Level Owl is pretty excellent. I've got a copy laying around somewhere, but I've never really listened to it. I probably should one of these days.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The only album of theirs that I've listened to all the way through is Peregrine, and it's drat good. I've heard Low Level Owl is pretty excellent. I've got a copy laying around somewhere, but I've never really listened to it. I probably should one of these days.

Both of these are good. Mare Vitalis is worth checking out if you liked their other stuff. Two Conversations is pretty average and Ring Wars is awful.

edit: I haven't heard their new one yet but if you like post-rock stuff in general then go Low Level Owl -> Peregrine -> Mare Vitalis

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 5, 2009

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Back Stabber posted:

If anybody's heard of Samuel Jackson Five, bands like that (I'm not sure how to describe that specific genre).

Maybe you should read this thread?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
New Mono has leaked.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

thehustler posted:

New Mono has leaked.
The new Mono has leaked and is "apparently" awesome.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Echoing support for The Samuel Jackson Five, Alcest, and even Agalloch and Fen (as metal as they are post-rock). Is there anything Similar to the Red Sparrowes that isn't Isis, Russian Circles, or North?

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Kerpal posted:

Echoing support for The Samuel Jackson Five, Alcest, and even Agalloch and Fen (as metal as they are post-rock). Is there anything Similar to the Red Sparrowes that isn't Isis, Russian Circles, or North?

Pelican? They are similar to Isis I'm pretty sure. I don't really like that metally post-rock poo poo.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Kerpal posted:

I think Tides is fairly close.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

thehustler posted:

New Mono has leaked.

You can pre-order the album now from the label. There are 1,000 coloured vinyl copies up for grabs.

GrimFailz
Nov 2, 2004
Found this thread recently.

I've been listening to post-rock for over a year now, and my favorite band of the genre is Russian Circles. I was 10 feet away from them in a live concert and I can't possibly explain how amazing they really are.

I also really like (recently what I've been into): Joy Wants Eternity, Red Sparowes (At the Soundless Dawn), Mono, This Will Destroy You (Young Mountain), and Explosions in the Sky.

I'm also a big fan of The Big Sleep (http://www.last.fm/music/The+Big+Sleep). They are rock but also have a few instrumental only tracks that are really good.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

deltawing posted:

Peste Noire is very interesting music, they aren't like Peste Noire but if you're in the mood for something different, grab the "La Sanie Des Siècles - Panégyrique De La Dégénerescence" album

Also, looking for recommendations for music like My Bloody Valentine and possibly even post rock with a little bit a BM(Other than Fen and Frail)

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

The Puppet Master posted:

You can pre-order the album now from the label. There are 1,000 coloured vinyl copies up for grabs.

It also has a re-issue of One More Step and You Die, New York Soundtracks, and a promo CD of the new album bundled with the vinyl version of the new album. Worth the 35 bucks in my opinion.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

GrimFailz posted:

I also really like (recently what I've been into): Joy Wants Eternity, Red Sparowes (At the Soundless Dawn), Mono, This Will Destroy You (Young Mountain), and Explosions in the Sky.

If you can pull it off I'd definitely try and see Joy Wants Eternity live - they have a great visual show.

GrimFailz
Nov 2, 2004

Big Wreck posted:

If you can pull it off I'd definitely try and see Joy Wants Eternity live - they have a great visual show.

Saw them in Pittsburgh this past September actually. You are correct. I went in to the show not really knowing a lot about them, as I had just listened to their music on myspace a few times. I ended up walking out the door with both of their cds. They were really fantastic. Apparently their visual show is similar to that of GYBE, or a band that I have unfortunately not had the pleasure of seeing live (yet). Their music is extremely relaxing, although sometimes I feel like it makes me a little sad or depressed for various reasons.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So holy poo poo Sleepy Eyes of Death puts on the greatest performance. To describe it: "Fog machines and lights". Which, you know, sounds incredibly cheesy... and maybe it is. But, whatever, it was amazing.

This doesn't really convey the look I'm talking about but it works. It's from my camcorder:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Really really cool show. Highly recommend seeing these guys if you get a chance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Because seriously look at this guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjud3g7sYo

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Mono's new album is incredible.

Please let them tour the US.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm guessing we're using this thread for post-metal too, so I just want to say that I listened to Isis' Panopticon last night and it blew me the gently caress away. Until then, I had only heard In The Absence Of Truth. I loved it, but for some reason I never listened to their other material. It's so, so very good.

I've gotta check out Celestial and Oceanic now, too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

JaWs posted:

Please let them tour the US.

Pack your bags cause you'll have to road trip to NYC.

I know I am.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

Jan posted:

Pack your bags cause you'll have to road trip to NYC.

I know I am.

Yeah, I am hoping for them to add more dates to the US. If that doesn't happen, NYC it is. Only a 6 hour drive for me but I already road tripped to see Mogwai this year and I'd rather not have to do it again. I would be fine with shelling out the cash to fly.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

JaWs posted:

Yeah, I am hoping for them to add more dates to the US. If that doesn't happen, NYC it is. Only a 6 hour drive for me but I already road tripped to see Mogwai this year and I'd rather not have to do it again. I would be fine with shelling out the cash to fly.

They released a last set of tour dates on their site yesterday, with the note "Final" dates. So don't get your hopes up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just in case anyone was interested, I put up the full Sleepy Eyes of Death and Bronze Fawn videos I recorded the other week.

http://iamserio.us/2009/02/17/sleepy-eyes-of-death-bronze-fawn-2009-02-07/

You can nab the FLV or a high-def MP4 if you like. God drat I'm so stoked to see them again next month.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Kerpal posted:

Try Year of No Light, they rule.

Marilyn Mansons
Nov 23, 2007

by Fistgrrl

HamsterHuey posted:

Caspian

This is just what I was looking for!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love Caspian, really I do, but they must suck at producing (or whoever does production for them, at least). I have maybe 3 or 4 Caspian songs on different driving mixes I make, and when they come on (especially after something exceptionally produced), they just sound like poo poo. Even if I have an early 90s rock song on there and THEN Caspian, the former still sounds way better.

They just all sound really muffled for some reason. And it's not like I downloaded a really low-quality rip or something, either. I've bought every Caspian track I have. Straight from the band, no less.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

While browsing through Jamendo, which is awesome, I found this. They're a band from Singapore who are really similar to Explosions in the Sky but they like to turn up the distortion some.

What other post rock bands (post rock as in Explosions) uses crunchy guitars as well as the clean tone that is most prevalent in the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marilyn Mansons
Nov 23, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They just all sound really muffled for some reason.

I noticed this but thought it was the encoding. Are they good live?