Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

RabbitMage posted:

There's no wet, dirty bedding for them to sit in.

I don't get this part. I thought we were assuming (hoping) most people weren't using bedding because of the associated health risks/difficulty in having a large open cage + bedding. So, out of wire bottomed cages and a solid floor cage (with carpet or tile or another type of flooring), you would still choose wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
The rabbit still has access to an open litterbox, right? And must sit in soiled litter to use it? And could, if they chose to, sit in it most of the day if they wanted to?

In addition if they aren't perfectly littertrained, the cage could still get soiled, couldn't it? Carpet's not the easiest thing to clean and call me paranoid, but I'd worry too much about my buns digging up/chewing/eating any carpet I put in their cages. Maybe it's not an issue, but I'd worry.

I do choose, and would still choose to use wire. There's really no reason not to.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Now I haven't had any personal experience with this but I don't see myself ever putting my rabbit in a wire floor cage. All he ever does is hop and run around like a lunatic and it'd take him probably less than a minute to get his toes caught.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

quote:

I do choose, and would still choose to use wire. There's really no reason not to.

Okay we get it you like wire cages.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

RabbitMage posted:

The rabbit still has access to an open litterbox, right? And must sit in soiled litter to use it? And could, if they chose to, sit in it most of the day if they wanted to?

Honestly this argument is silly. Cats are at risk of stepping into their own waste every time they use a litter box. Dogs could step in the same area of lawn they pissed on earlier in the day. Animals are always going to come into contact with either their own, or another animals waste. My rabbits are prone to chill out in the litter box, but I clean it often. Responsible rabbit owners would do the same.

When it comes down to it, even vets suggest not to keep rabbits on wire bottom cages. Far be it for me to ignore the advice of my vet, friends with rabbits, and the multitude of paperwork suggesting that wire bottomed cages are just not worth the risk.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
DS-I have very active buns, too, and don't have an issue.

And like I said, to each their own. I just hate this 'wire cages are the devil' stuff.

scholzie
Mar 30, 2003

If I had a daughter, she'd probably be pregnant by the time she turned 12.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Awesome cage, dude. It's like Bunny's Dream House there. What are the dimensions?

42"x28"x28". The grids are 14" a piece. I used the leftovers to make a long single line of grids, and I use mini spring clamps to attach them to the front of the cage to give him a pretty huge "front yard" to play in. Only problem is that the holes in the fence are too big. I watched him crawl through one before I was able to stop him. I need to get window screen mesh or something to keep him inside the pen.

So far he hasn't figured out how to get out of the cage. The only place that uses the big grids is the wall of the second level, which is why it's covered in linoleum.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

If you box train your rabbit then they won't be sitting in their own waste. If you think a litterbox counts then maybe we should keep cats in wire floor caging as well...?

Admittedly I have little evidence to back it up other than knowing Milly seemed to like a solid floor way more when I moved her over, but I would think common sense would dictate you don't keep an animal in wire floor housing.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith's new favorite thing to do is dig all the litter out of his litter box, so that there is poop and litter on the floor of his pen. Ignoring the towel/rug pile I gave him to dig into. Is there anything I can do besides get a deeper litter box, possibly?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

angelicism posted:

Frith's new favorite thing to do is dig all the litter out of his litter box, so that there is poop and litter on the floor of his pen. Ignoring the towel/rug pile I gave him to dig into. Is there anything I can do besides get a deeper litter box, possibly?

If you find something that works, let me know!

I gave them a much deeper box a while back, (they were doing the "my paws are in therefore my butt is in too" thing) but Thomas started digging in it. I've found it helped to put less litter in the box... although I don't think he digs for fun, he does it in the way cats do to rearrange their litter before they piss.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

General question I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to on HRS.

Lately our rabbit (8 months) has been pooping all over the drat place, but only when around people, and most often when she's excited making this slight croaking/wuffling sound and hopping around all crazy like. On top of that the poop smells...REALLY smells. This has only been happening the past three weeks or so, and we're getting her spayed this Thursday the 12th.

She was perfectly litter trained before she started getting all hyper and humping things and pooping foul smelling pellets all over the house. Is ALL of this tied to her being non-spayed? After being spayed, will we need to re-litter train her? She still pees in the same exact corner in the cage (she has a purple litter corner thing), but the poop thing is becoming a pain. I'm hoping all of this is tied to her feminine urges but just wanted to find out and make sure it's not something else.

And no, her diet has not changed either.

Edit: We got a flat cat bed/blanket that is pretty firm for her cage, fills up about 50% of the open floor and she's moving around the cage a lot more because of it now!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Fenarisk posted:

...only when around people, and most often when she's excited making this slight croaking/wuffling sound and hopping around all crazy like...

Translation: SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX. :)

Yeah, it's a hormonal thing. My Roo did the EXACT same thing (including the wuffing) prior to his neuter. You should see it die down 4-6 weeks after her spay.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fenarisk posted:

General question I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to on HRS.

Lately our rabbit (8 months) has been pooping all over the drat place, but only when around people, and most often when she's excited making this slight croaking/wuffling sound and hopping around all crazy like. On top of that the poop smells...REALLY smells. This has only been happening the past three weeks or so, and we're getting her spayed this Thursday the 12th.

She was perfectly litter trained before she started getting all hyper and humping things and pooping foul smelling pellets all over the house. Is ALL of this tied to her being non-spayed? After being spayed, will we need to re-litter train her? She still pees in the same exact corner in the cage (she has a purple litter corner thing), but the poop thing is becoming a pain. I'm hoping all of this is tied to her feminine urges but just wanted to find out and make sure it's not something else.

And no, her diet has not changed either.

Edit: We got a flat cat bed/blanket that is pretty firm for her cage, fills up about 50% of the open floor and she's moving around the cage a lot more because of it now!

In short, yes. It does sound like it's because she's intact. She's marking her territory and honking to get attention because she's horny (or not, I don't know much about rabbit mating behavior). Has she humped anything/anyone?

As I understand it, she'll relearn her litter habits after getting spayed.

EDIT: Anyone have a sound recording of bunnies honking for sex? I always wanted to hear what buns sounded like.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

In short, yes. It does sound like it's because she's intact. She's marking her territory and honking to get attention because she's horny (or not, I don't know much about rabbit mating behavior). Has she humped anything/anyone?

As I understand it, she'll relearn her litter habits after getting spayed.

EDIT: Anyone have a sound recording of bunnies honking for sex? I always wanted to hear what buns sounded like.

She has humped my arm, my fiance's foot, and the leg and shoulder of two friends I had over Saturday :smith:

I'll see if I can record her on my phone when she's honking, all I have to do is lay on the bed and she'll hop up bounding all over snuggling my hand and arm before trying to mount it. You have to be real close to hear her though.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Speaking of pooping everywhere, I posted about a problem I've been having with Bowser a few pages back, but it was buried within my long, rambling post about other poo poo, so I dunno if anybody saw it.

Melicious posted:

On that note, recently Bowser has completely abandoned the idea of litterboxes. She literally poops and pees RIGHT NEXT TO her boxes. We move the boxes, she continues to just piss and poo poo next to them. If we see her do it and yell at her, she'll immediately jump into the box and sit there for awhile. The second we're out of the room, she's pooping outside of it again. What the gently caress, rabbit? We tried getting her new boxes, no improvement. I talked to a few people about it who recommended I restrict her space so that she's forced to either poop in the box or lie in her poo, so I did. A month later, the box is still clean, and she's laying in her own waste. I don't get it. She's clearly not senile, nor is she arthritic. She still chases the cats around and has no problem jumping anywhere else, so it's not like she can't make the 5 inch hop into the boxes. I'm convinced she's just trying to make me angry. Any suggestions?

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

try putting some newspaper next to the box and when she poos and pees on it put it in the box. Keep doing this until she gets the idea.. or not. The method worked with my intact male who insisted on peeing everywhere but the litter box.

Edit: What kind of litter are you using? I've had good success with carefresh.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

There's some examples on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9XWog4p08&feature=related

Though I gotta say they don't sound a lot like how my Billy does it. His is more of a very low pitched hoop hoop hoop sound. He used to do it constantly before I got him fixed but now does it whenever he sees me or is happy or excited in general. Or when he thinks he might be excited at some point in the near future.

Seriously, it's not at all screechy like the bunnies in the videos. Maybe he's the Barry White of bunnies.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Melicious posted:

Speaking of pooping everywhere, I posted about a problem I've been having with Bowser a few pages back, but it was buried within my long, rambling post about other poo poo, so I dunno if anybody saw it.

Ouch. Tried bigger and/or multiple boxes? I read some weird things about other animals marking boxes but if you're tried new boxes then I wouldn't think that would apply.

Alternatively, anyone ever encountered a rabbit who just could not be trained to do certain things? When Milly was a baby she lived in an open floor/poop anywhere cage. When we got her and introduced the box she picked it up really quick. Unfortunately over a year later she's never got that she should try to use only the box for her poop.

As I'm typing this I'm watching Milly try to sleep standing up and she keeps nearly falling over.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Melicious posted:

On that note, recently Bowser has completely abandoned the idea of litterboxes. She literally poops and pees RIGHT NEXT TO her boxes. We move the boxes, she continues to just piss and poo poo next to them. If we see her do it and yell at her, she'll immediately jump into the box and sit there for awhile. The second we're out of the room, she's pooping outside of it again. What the gently caress, rabbit? We tried getting her new boxes, no improvement. I talked to a few people about it who recommended I restrict her space so that she's forced to either poop in the box or lie in her poo, so I did. A month later, the box is still clean, and she's laying in her own waste. I don't get it. She's clearly not senile, nor is she arthritic. She still chases the cats around and has no problem jumping anywhere else, so it's not like she can't make the 5 inch hop into the boxes. I'm convinced she's just trying to make me angry. Any suggestions?

GoodApollo's right - how big are the boxes? It does sound like you have more than one, right?

I've never really been happy with commercial litterboxes. The ones made for rabbits are too small, and the ones made for cats are often too low. I have the most success with a high-sided box that the rabbit can get completely inside of, and which is 2-3 times bigger than the actual rabbit. So I typically use these as litterboxes, and hang my hayracks INSIDE the boxes as shown. (Note that I cut the door too deep in this box, his regular digging activities would cause litter to go flying.)

Another consideration: where is the hay located in relation to the box?

Many rabbits want to pee and poop right where they are able to eat hay from, so if she can stand NEXT to the box and eat, that could possibly be the problem. I'm working on bonding a pair, and the other morning I absentmindedly moved her hayrack to a location where he could access it from his side without being in his box. I came home that night to find a perfectly clean box and a perfectly enormous pile of poops next to it. I just had to schootch his box over so now he can steal her hay without leaving his box. I've even had a couple of very elderly buns who would also poop while eating veggies and pellets, so I had to place their pellet and veggie bowls inside their litterbox (I actually got 30"x20" dog litterpans for these guys so they weren't so cramped while eating).

The third culprit would be: what are you using as litter, and is there any substrate in the rest of the cage (carpet, grass mats, whatever)?

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I've been trying to figure out how to get the hay from falling on the floor when they pull it out... the rubbermaid thing is ingenious.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fenarisk posted:

She has humped my arm, my fiance's foot, and the leg and shoulder of two friends I had over Saturday :smith:

It was actually pretty hilarious when my aunt's bun did that when I first met him. He would hump just about any appendage that was within reach, but I didn't know this when I had walked out to the backyard where he was scampering around.

"Awwww well aren't you a cute little- oh Jesus gently caress what are you doing to my leg?!"

He would sometimes nip and claw a little, but after he got fixed he didn't do that poo poo anymore. Guy liked it rough.

DS at Night posted:

There's some examples on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9XWog4p08&feature=related

Hey thanks! Man it sure is a lot less Tribble-like than I expected.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well I just picked Sprout up from the vet, they said she wouldn't eat at all and just huddled in the corner of the cage after the procedure, and that she might eat once at home. She's just nestled in her bed right now looking groggy and not eating even though she has a buffet of everything she likes in front of her. Hopefully by tonight she eats because if she hasn't eaten or pooped by breakfast tomorrow we have to take her back in.

Really hating the top-opening travel carrier for her because I'm afraid of picking her up and ripping the stitches :ohdear:

Edit: The worst part was, even as a female, yesterday she grabbed my arm while I was cleaning her cage, and bit down on my forearm enough to break the skin while squealing and thrusting into my hand all the while keeping her toothy death grip. I couldn't shake her off but finally she stopped then just hopped away. poo poo hurts worse than a cat bite.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 12, 2009

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

alucinor posted:

GoodApollo's right - how big are the boxes? It does sound like you have more than one, right?

I've never really been happy with commercial litterboxes. The ones made for rabbits are too small, and the ones made for cats are often too low. I have the most success with a high-sided box that the rabbit can get completely inside of, and which is 2-3 times bigger than the actual rabbit. So I typically use these as litterboxes, and hang my hayracks INSIDE the boxes as shown. (Note that I cut the door too deep in this box, his regular digging activities would cause litter to go flying.)

Another consideration: where is the hay located in relation to the box?

The third culprit would be: what are you using as litter, and is there any substrate in the rest of the cage (carpet, grass mats, whatever)?

Yeah, she has two litterboxes at the moment. One is a very large catbox with a hood that she's used for about 8 years. She used to be quite the litter kicker, so the hood was pretty neccessary and didn't seem to bother her. The other is a super deep sided plastic box that she used for a few months before abandoning it. She does the same thing with both of the boxes- poops and pees just outside of them. It's not even an issue of her hanging her butt over the edge, she just sits next to them and does her business.

As for the hay, there's always a bunch of it IN the litterboxes, and the proximity to her hay feeder has changed several times as I tried to coax her to poop in the box. Her litterbox that's outside of the cage is nowhere near a feeder, and the one in the cage is currently out of its reach. I had the box directly under the feeder, but it didn't seem to change her idea of where poop goes.

For her litter, we're currently using Yesterday's News topped with lots of timothy hay. In her cage, we've tried carpet, grass mats, plastic, and bare... she seemed to not want to mess up the carpet and grass mats for the first week or so, and then it was poop and pee city. Now I'm using rattan, which she loves, but continues to soak with urine. Outside of the cage, I have hardwood floors. She seems equally happy to go to the bathroom on the wood as well as my rugs.

Sigh. The only other thing I can think of is the cats- I have 3 cats, and it's a constant battle to make sure they don't use Bowser's boxes. They have 4 litterboxes of their own, but if Bowser's box is closer, they like to be lazy and climb in there. Bowser of course hates the stink of cat pee or poop in her box and has always freaked out, kicking litter and cat waste everywhere when they've used her box. In the past, though, a cleaning would always reset everything and she'd use the litterbox just fine again. Now, though, not even new boxes seemed to help, and so we went back to using one new one and her old, tried-and-true standard. I just don't know if she got tired of peeing on cat pee or what. I'm getting pretty tired of having rabbit poop everywhere, let me tell you.

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma
Could somebody give me a quick lowdown on the most awesome types of toys for rabbits? Do they tend to love things they can rip up, nibble on, roll around.. etc? I guess it varies from bun to bun?

Also, how playful are baby bunnies? <10 weeks old?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

notsoape posted:

Could somebody give me a quick lowdown on the most awesome types of toys for rabbits? Do they tend to love things they can rip up, nibble on, roll around.. etc? I guess it varies from bun to bun?

Also, how playful are baby bunnies? <10 weeks old?

I think each rabbit is different. Mine doesn't play with toys much, but does like the following things:

*Wood blocks, especially the fruit flavored 5 pack from PetSmart
*Anything cardboard. Especially boxes and grits/oatmeal containers she can flip and roll
*Small jingley cat balls, but they have to be slotted so she can pick them up with her teeth
*Hanging blocks/bell, occasionally but mostly to wake me up for food

Pretty much anything that makes noise, rolls, they can fling, or they can absolutely wreck the poo poo out of works. She chewed the corners off our huge DVD case (leather) and all the sides fell down. Leather is okay as long as they aren't eating it in mass quantities according to our vet (lost 3 leather belts this way since little chew marks look bad for work).

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Empty toilet paper rolls, especially when stuffed with hay.

My buns LOVED these: http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-animals-40/small-animal-treats-chews-182/superpet-carrot-rabbit-5862-3968_zoom.jpg

But a lot of them chewed off all the sisal and started gnawing the plastic, so just keep an eye on them as they start wearing down.

I've heard plastic baby keys are usually a big hit, too.

Really cheap toy: Home Depot sells plastic chain. Buy a length of that, cut a slit in the top link so you can pull it open, and attach to top/side of cage.

Another really cheap toy: Soda cans. Rinse them out well, remove the pull tab, add bunny. Mine LOVE these. They roll them around, bump them, dig on them...Gremlin seems to think his can is his girlfriend, so...yeah. It's another item you need to keep a close eye on, because dents can easily turn into sharp-edged holes, so as soon as you see some 'battle damage' you need to remove them.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

I just had my 4mo old male rabbit, Ollie, neutered. He is doing great. I have 2 females in addition to Ollie. I got Ollie when he was 9weeks old and built him a cube cage that is next to my female's. As in, they are attached but are seperated by a "cube wall". Yesterday I was cleaning out his cage and was going to put some extra hay into the girls' cage. Thinking they would follow my hand for the food I didn't think about putting Ollie back in his cage. Of course, when I opened the female's cage they hopped right out. I tried to grab them up, but one of them instantly lunged for Ollie. When that happened all hell broke lose as the other girl started attacking him too. He fought back and before I knew it he and one of my girls, bun-bun, were latched onto each other. Bun-bun and the other female, Tom, started fighting with each other too. I got them separated and put each in their respective cages.

I've never seen them fight before and it was an eye opener how brutal they can be to each other. Ollie and the girls have been together before, when he just wanted to hump them. He would kinda chase and the girls didn't like it, but I've never seen them attack like this.

My theory is that he picked up some other smells at the vet and they didn't like it. I'm not too concerned as I am going to keep them apart for 2 weeks now per the House Rabbit Society and then begin the long process of bonding them all. What concerns me is that they woke me up the morning fighting through the "cube wall". Neither can get their mouth through to bite but it still concerns me that they are fighting. What gives?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Momiji has decided that he no longer wants out of his cage. gently caress. Cowslip has always been a "human = don't touch me" rabbit, but Mo used to love coming out, playing on the floor, sleeping on my bed, and now he fights if I try to get him out. Their cage is big, but not that big: they both need to get out for exercise, but gently caress if they both don't nearly hurt themselves (and leave me with long scratchs down my arms) when I try.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

Cowslips: Sounds like you're having some of the same issues mine are having. I don't have any suggestions but I sympathize with you. drat rabbits always changing their personalities!

Edit: I guess mine could have changed their personality due to an outside interference (read: new smell from being at vet)

munchies fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 16, 2009

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I've officially given up on carpeted bunny-house. Maybe when Mil is older and cools it on the ripping the floor to shreds. I'm going out tomorrow to try and find a place where I can get coroplast or some other kind of solid flooring. Is there any other alternatives that works just as well? And also, if I can't find it around here, is there a good place to get coroplast online?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

GoodApollo posted:

I've officially given up on carpeted bunny-house. Maybe when Mil is older and cools it on the ripping the floor to shreds. I'm going out tomorrow to try and find a place where I can get coroplast or some other kind of solid flooring. Is there any other alternatives that works just as well? And also, if I can't find it around here, is there a good place to get coroplast online?

http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm

You can start here for finding local supplies, it'll save you some guess-work at least.

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

Melicious posted:

I had this same issue with Gruff. The only place he'll use a litter box in is in his pen. Try replacing the litter box by laying down some of those pads used for training puppies (you can get 36 of them at Walmart for $6!!). Just be sure to change them often to avoid saturation.

Even if Bowser isn't using the box, at least you won't be constantly scrubbing his accidents off the floor. Good luck!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Lagomorpha posted:

I had this same issue with Gruff. The only place he'll use a litter box in is in his pen. Try replacing the litter box by laying down some of those pads used for training puppies (you can get 36 of them at Walmart for $6!!). Just be sure to change them often to avoid saturation.

Even if Bowser isn't using the box, at least you won't be constantly scrubbing his accidents off the floor. Good luck!

Thanks, yeah, I picked up some of the pee pads this past weekend. Also did a MAJOR scrubdown of the room where she spends most of her time, and since then she's been a little more reluctant to cover it in pee and poop. Here's to hoping she's gonna revert back to her better habits...

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I found some coroplast yesterday and decided to just rebuild their entire cage to make it a little more efficient for our small space. I ended up getting a rubbermaid tub like Alucinor suggested to someone else above. To Alucinor or anyone else with a tub setup: what do you do about a leaky water bottle? I can't really fit it in the box anymore and I always end up with a lot of water to clean up every few hours.

And now, pictures. I apologize for lovely quality, my D80 currently has giant masses of dust on it after a pinhole experiment.

- the new box; I ran out of litter so it's sparse at the moment.

- Knowles having dinner

I changed it from 4x6 to 5x5, same relative floor area but it flips me out because it LOOKS smaller. If you're wondering why I carpeted the upper floor when the whole idea was to get rid of the carpet Milly was chewing... she never chews it on upper floors. I have no idea why; she'll occasionally pull at it once or twice with her teeth or dig in it but otherwise.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
That really looks great! Good job!

As for the water bottle, I actually don't use bottles anymore, for the most part. I use crocks. The buns seem to prefer them, and you don't run the risk of the stopper getting stuck and them being without water for 8 hours. You do have to be more diligent about cleaning crocks, possibly even twice a day - once a week won't suffice as it might for bottles.

However, back when I did use bottles, I used two solutions. First, I get 8" or 10" flat cement paving stones from the hardware store, and stick that under the bottle (or currently under the crock). It helps absorb and then dissipate any moisture. Additionally, for really leaky bottles, or buns who play with their bottles, I put a screw-on plastic crock on the grids underneath the bottle. That catches drips, and is easy enough to unscrew and clean out every day. You may have to look around for something that fits well (the one I linked, some bottle sippers don't protrude far enough into the cage and the drips just fall behind the crock), but there's a big variety of options out there.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

We have always had one of those really heavy plastic bowls they sell at walmart for catfood, and it's worked great for Sprout's water. I clean it every day (not just rinsing but wiping out) and never had a problem with anything more than a tiny layer of gunk to wipe clean. I'd never do anything else though, refilling it and wiping it takes all of 30 seconds, I'd imagine bottles would take much longer.

Also it's now been 6 days since her surgery, and she's totally back to normal. It's hard to yell at her and clap to keep her from wanting to hop onto the bed still, she's getting antsy for sprinting and jumping even when I'm in the room playing with her and petting her :smith:

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

As per usual, the little troublemaker is the reason we don't use crocks. Used one for a while and she usually just jumps in it. The paving stone thing sounds like a great idea though, thanks!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I use a crock and a bottle. Ben refuses to drink out of a bowl. When the bottle broke and the bowl was all we had, he just got thirsty. He's a little dim that one.... Annie likes the bowl when it's filled but can work with either, plus the bottle drips into the bowl so it doesn't make a mess.

rabbit rabbit
Dec 12, 2006

A rabbit is under attack!
Hey I have a few questions:

My bunny, Scolari is going to be 3 next month. He isn't neutered and I was wondering for 3 years old, is it too late to get the procedure? I don't want to scar him emotionally from it. He doesn't spray, or hump things. He does poop in other places other than his litter box. Mostly in different areas of his cage and outside the cage in one particular spot. I've tried putting a new litter box there, but he just nudges it out of the way and continues.

Also when we're playing he'll charge at us with a grunt and try to nip us but soon after is wanting the head rubs. Is this because he isn't fixed?

Last question. At his age, would it be too late to try and bond him with another rabbit? I've read it's easier (and safer) to bond with a female, and if that's the case they would both need to be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
My girlfriend and I just added a new bunny to our family, and we are here to show him(her?) off!

This is Mimsy, a mini rex, who we've had for about five months. We have no idea how old he is, but probably under one year.

Here is Paddington (This is our tentative name for now)... he's a dwarf and loving cute as hell.

Whee! He's so tiny and cute. He's a little scared, but is doing pretty good. He started exploring and getting used to his new home. We had to build him a special cage (we just put two grids together with the lines intersecting) because he kept escaping through them. He loves escaping from his own cage and going into Mimsy's cage (even though he(she?) gets sexually assaulted sometimes.) :3:

Here he is in our hands for a size reference.

When we brought Paddington home, we pretty much immediately introduced him to Mimsy. We thought Mimsy would be kind of a bully at first, but he just ignored paddington after getting a good sniff on him and chasing him around for a while. Here they are eating some food together..

Now, we have a couple questions about this budding bunny friendship. We're concerned about paddington getting pregnant if it's a female. Paddington is about 6 weeks old now (according to the pet store); how old are they before they can get pregnant? Should we fix both rabbits? What if paddington is a male, do we still have to fix them? Finally, when can you sex a rabbit? As much as we love bunnies, we don't want a whole shitload of the little fur balls running around. :)