Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

tripwire posted:

I don't know if this is the way you are doing it already but have you considered trying to get the heavy lifting done by the GPU? It seems like everything in game of life is just a texture anyway so it wouldn't be hard in theory to have the GPU do everything using GLSL or cuda or something.

There isn't too much "heavy lifting" to be done, per se, with regards to the simulation. Applying the GoL rules to the grid doesn't take nearly as much CPU time as the rendering does, and I've still got some optimizations I need to do (like storing the layers as pointers rather than an array, since copying the arrays every frame takes a lot longer than swapping pointers would). As it stands now it was mostly thrown together quickly for demonstration/proof of concept purposes, now I'm going back and working on doing things properly. As I've mentioned numerous times the primary purpose is to look pretty, not to be a fast simulator, and as I add more graphical flash to it, the simulation part is going to be a very very very tiny amount of the overall execution time. That being said, the GPU would be much better off doing more graphics-related things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Vanadium posted:

"type error: <200 pages of template errors>"

Aww, is a real programming language too hard for you? *gives babby back his rattle*

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Aww, is a real programming language too hard for you? *gives babby back his rattle*

yep those are the only 2 choices, horrible error messages or fake programming langauges

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

king_kilr posted:

yep those are the only 2 choices, horrible error messages or fake programming langauges

At least C++ actually diagnoses the errors unlike Python (or at least Django) which just says "Syntax error, somewhere around here". :colbert:

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

At least C++ actually diagnoses the errors unlike Python (or at least Django) which just says "Syntax error, somewhere around here". :colbert:

Python (haven't used Django) gives you pretty specific error messages. :colbert:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

And C++ just tells me "Type error, somewhere around fifteen miles deep into boost".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Vanadium posted:

And C++ just tells me "Type error, somewhere around fifteen miles deep into boost".

No, I mean Django literally just throws a SyntaxError exception with no information other than a stack trace.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

You know, I used to kind of respect you as a good programmer, but you're just a loving douchebag. Go back to YOSPOS and stay there.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

ColdPie posted:

You know, I used to kind of respect you as a good programmer, but you're just a loving douchebag. Go back to YOSPOS and stay there.

Then who will post exceedingly helpful burns in the C++ thread? :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

ColdPie posted:

u mad? >:D

People with the inability to detect nuance in language and who assume that my fake-trolling about C++ is serious should go back to YOSPOS.

Fecotourist
Nov 1, 2008

Vanadium posted:

Then who will post exceedingly helpful burns in the C++ thread? :(

AD is actually careful to make sure that there's at least one nugget of useful information in each post of condescension. You just have to distill out the good parts and glaze over the rest.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, I mean Django literally just throws a SyntaxError exception with no information other than a stack trace.

Django doesn't throw syntaxerrors, the only thign that does is the parser/compiler.

lostchicken
Sep 6, 2004
"Well, I suppose he's... mostly harmless..."
I was tired of having all my AIM logs in different formats, what with the various different Adium logs over the years, and Gaim/Pidgin having its own thing, so I wrote an app to read all of them and write them out to a common XML format. Once I'd done that, though, I realized it might be interesting to mine the data for statistics. Most of that was textual, but I did generate some pretty graphs showing how often I talk to individual people over time:

Matplotlib makes gorgeous graphs...

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

lostchicken posted:

I was tired of having all my AIM logs in different formats, what with the various different Adium logs over the years, and Gaim/Pidgin having its own thing, so I wrote an app to read all of them and write them out to a common XML format. Once I'd done that, though, I realized it might be interesting to mine the data for statistics. Most of that was textual, but I did generate some pretty graphs showing how often I talk to individual people over time:

I'm sorry you don't talk to anyone online anymore :smith:

Curiously though if your data is across many different IM networks I'd be curious to see if other people had the same trending as me over the last 5 years. Started with 90% AIM / 10% ICQ to all AIM to now probably 75% GTalk vs 15% AIM / 10% Facebook

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

lostchicken posted:

I think it's interesting that you keep logs from that long ago. Is there any reason, may I ask?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I think it's interesting that you keep logs from that long ago. Is there any reason, may I ask?

I have IRC logs from March of 2004 just because I've used the same install directory since then (I install programs not on my Windows hard drive so that when I reinstall the OS I don't lose most of my programs.

ZaInT
Jul 21, 2004

I don't eat meat because it tastes good, I do it because I hate animals
I still keep MSN logs from 2003 and somewhere I should have a CD with logs from 01-03 aswell.
Why? For me it's interesting to see how people develop over time, but then again it should propably be pointed out that I was 13 year old in 2001.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

For Generations, I've added custom rules. Trying out /1:

Also uploading a video of it in action (at an extremely low framerate since it's a LOT of cells).

Edit: Youtube's being a bitch so I put it on google video for now.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6416296816062868477

Xerol fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 4, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

biznatchio posted:

Loading a binary blob directly into memory isn't an option with XNA -- at least, not if you want your code to be XBox 360 compatible.

why the hell do you think that. the whole xnb system is binary

edit: just looked it up and you can definitely use System.IO.FileStream on the 360

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 4, 2009

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

lostchicken posted:

I'd actually be very interested in using this program (but probably modifying it not to output in XML).

(Can I have it)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

why the hell do you think that. the whole xnb system is binary

edit: just looked it up and you can definitely use System.IO.FileStream on the 360

Reading and parsing a binary file is not the same as loading in a binary blob, plopping it into memory, and just using it as-is; which is what ColdPie was talking about.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
A vintage terminal shader I'm working on: http://heeen.de/proj/screenshader.avi
edit: youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5uf0T8Yk74

heeen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 6, 2009

lostchicken
Sep 6, 2004
"Well, I suppose he's... mostly harmless..."

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I've actually got them going back to '00 (when it was mostly ICQ), but there's a six month gap in the data from a drive failure. I sort of think of it like being a long term, real time journal. Doing things like making graphs from them gives me both good practice at data mining, as well as giving me an interesting view into that journal.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Nothing too exciting, but:

http://creditrabbit.com/tracker/

It tracks DVD/Blu-Ray prices on Amazon and kicks out the newest drops at the top of the list. The back-end is a lot more involved than the front-end ever will be, which is exactly how I want it to be. Other trackers were either overly-invasive (external application, firefox extensions, greasemonkey scripts, et cetera) or just tried to do way too much, and ended up not being browse-able at all.

It's one of those things that started out very simplistic, for myself, then as I'd show it to people, it began to get more complex, user-friendly, and time-consuming.

I've learned a good bit about syntax over the last few weeks. :)

Intel Penguin
Sep 14, 2007
hooray

LOLLERZ posted:

PixPlz - an app that lets you pick which of two women are sexier, vote on them, and generally look at pictures of girls.

Click here for the full 1320x852 image.

I hate Google's terrible ad targeting. Race cars and S.W.A.T. Assault :psyduck:, but I don't really know how to help it target on a site with no words on it.

Also if anyone has advice on layout or features, please let me know.

Chances are the kinda men visiting your site will like racing and SWAT poo poo... manly poo poo ya know?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
Turns out I just couldn't figure out how to make money off that site, oh well.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I made this pretty awful java applet version of missile command:

(my hosting)

Still some bugs and the code really needs to be cleaned up, but it works.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

clockwork automaton posted:

I made this pretty awful java applet version of missile command:

(my hosting)

Still some bugs and the code really needs to be cleaned up, but it works.

Oh god, that sound effect. :lol:

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh god, that sound effect. :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This was actually for a school assignment so I had two of my friends voice the guns and explosion sounds just to be annoying as hell. It pretty much makes the game unplayable (with the sound on). :)

meba rhodium
Aug 25, 2008
Behold, the ancient FDPS (Flight Data Processing System):

Uses Motif, a.k.a. the UI from the 80's, written in (mostly uncommented) C, has the most cryptic and confusing interface in the world and is a bitch to maintain.

Still fun to get the opportunity to work on mission-critical software.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

meba rhodium posted:

Behold, the ancient FDPS (Flight Data Processing System):

Uses Motif, a.k.a. the UI from the 80's, written in (mostly uncommented) C, has the most cryptic and confusing interface in the world and is a bitch to maintain.

Still fun to get the opportunity to work on mission-critical software.

There's a lot of letters and numbers on that screen!

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
Ran across why the lucky stiff's github code repo, and found his Shoes graphic API project. Decided to wrap my current Go related project with it. Very slick and easy to use.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Azazel posted:

Ran across why the lucky stiff's github code repo, and found his Shoes graphic API project. Decided to wrap my current Go related project with it. Very slick and easy to use.

Very interesting project. I've heard that group identification and determining if a group is alive is a pretty difficult problem.

Also, did black have three stones here?

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Zakalwe posted:

Very interesting project. I've heard that group identification and determining if a group is alive is a pretty difficult problem.

Also, did black have three stones here?

Yeah, group tracking was an interesting problem to tackle. You have to check liberties of groups, check if it's a suicide move, merge existing groups, etc. I added the colorization option so I could identify that it was behaving correctly. Trying to debug from a console can be too much of a pain sometimes.

As for the above game. Black captured 3 stones, is that what you mean? The game itself was an even match I just finished today on the Dragon Go Server. Lost by 10.5, sigh.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Azazel posted:

Yeah, group tracking was an interesting problem to tackle. You have to check liberties of groups, check if it's a suicide move, merge existing groups, etc. I added the colorization option so I could identify that it was behaving correctly. Trying to debug from a console can be too much of a pain sometimes.

As for the above game. Black captured 3 stones, is that what you mean? The game itself was an even match I just finished today on the Dragon Go Server. Lost by 10.5, sigh.

Ahh, I thought black had a 3 handicap as 3 of the 4,4 points were occupied by black. Of course, white was opening with 3,4 or similar

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Default Programs Editor version 2. A UI paradigm? That makes sense to people that aren't me? In my program??? It's more likely than you think!

Turns out wizards aren't a built in entity so I had to make on myself:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I've written a tiny functional (logical) language interpreter:

code:
$ cat append 
append [] list :- list 
append h,t list :- h,{append t list}

say {append [1 2] [3 4]}

say { append [1+2 2+3] [3+4 4+5] }

$ ./eval.pl append 
[1, 2, 3, 4] 
[[add, 1, 2], [add, 2, 3], [add, 3, 4], [add, 4, 5]] 

$ cat in 
say {every  x in [1 2]}

$ ./eval.pl in
[1, 2]
It's a prolog dialect with functions instead of predicates and explicit backtracking. The syntax is more like tk than haskell.

It's about 200 lines in total. :toot:

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

(my hosting)

A little IRC trivia bot in perl - working on adding more features / better hints, but it's mostly done now.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

clockwork automaton posted:

(my hosting)

A little IRC trivia bot in perl - working on adding more features / better hints, but it's mostly done now.

Hah, I wish I could find my IRC trivia answering bot. It's a bot that starts off with a large collection of question/answer pairs (but can also learn questions/answers by watching) and then answers the questions it knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
After reading through this this thread I figured there had to be a better way to find new podcasts than that and the idea came to me in the shower that evening before going out how to do it.

Click here for the full 1159x834 image.

There are a few rough edges around the general concept left to fill in but, it mostly there. I already have a bunch of V2 features lined up but, I'm will be following the release early and release often approach and wait for a while to see which features will actually improve the product instead of trying to cram everything in before launch.