Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This might be worth parting out?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/1030991224.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, for 1k.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If you buy it I'll buy the steering wheel :D

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

dur posted:

"Just wanted to pop in and mention that Miatas are the unluckiest cars ever."

I'll agree with this. I loaned my NA to my dad for a day, only to have him get rear-ended by an a Ford Expedition at speed. He was fine, but the car was totaled. I'd still like to get into another one.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

dur posted:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that Miatas are the unluckiest cars ever. Both of these accidents happened within 4 months - one two days after my birthday, and the other the on Christmas Eve.

Rear ended by a motorcycle, dude took off on the back of his buddies bike and left his wrecked brand-new Harley on the side of the road:

Drove 400 miles from Minnesota to Upper Michigan for christmas, then got hit by a Suburban that spun out across 3 lanes of traffic about 3 miles from my parent's place:

It's fixed now, but god drat.

Two things here: Harley guys are usually pricks. They've got the money to afford a Harley and the ego to go with it. Second, it's the size of the Miata I think. People are jerks and just don't pay attention. I've noticed it ever since I've been driving mine. I don't know how many near misses I've had...

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I've noticed that girls absolutely love it when I flip up the headlights on my NA.

ALso, anybody ever have weird trunk fitment? The left side of my trunk just doesn't go down all the way. I took out the latch and it fits just fine but it seems like the latch is keeping it from going down all the way. I'll post photos in about an hour.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

RubySprinkles posted:

Second, it's the size of the Miata I think. People are jerks and just don't pay attention. I've noticed it ever since I've been driving mine. I don't know how many near misses I've had...

I think this is the big one. I know that I managed to get hit within six months of buying mine. I was backing out of a parking space and the SUV behind me was doing the same thing. I saw them and stopped, but they hit me before I find the horn. Their excuse was "your car is so low I couldn't even see it."

These days I'm just really paranoid about other cars, especially SUVs, and keep my hand right above the horn when I'm in a parking lot near them. I'd consider that overly paranoid if it hadn't saved me from at least one other hit. Same excuse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VPILF posted:

I think this is the big one. I know that I managed to get hit within six months of buying mine. I was backing out of a parking space and the SUV behind me was doing the same thing. I saw them and stopped, but they hit me before I find the horn. Their excuse was "your car is so low I couldn't even see it."

These days I'm just really paranoid about other cars, especially SUVs, and keep my hand right above the horn when I'm in a parking lot near them. I'd consider that overly paranoid if it hadn't saved me from at least one other hit. Same excuse.

Ever honk your horn while going 70-75mph on the freeway? You can't even hear it.

I need to get an airhorn.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Phone posted:

Ever honk your horn while going 70-75mph on the freeway? You can't even hear it.

I need to get an airhorn.

I haven't had the same problem on the freeway. Not really sure why; maybe just because people are more aware of their surroundings or that I can easily get out of their way most of the time or something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody know the part number on Mazdaspeed for the oil filter?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well, the guy came and picked up my car today. So I'm officially Miata-less for the first time in over 10 years... c'est la vie...

I've got a number of parts that I'll dig through and see if anything's worth selling, but one thing I figured I'd put here before eBaying -- I've got a brand new BEGI divorced wastegate stainless downpipe for a 1.6l car. Same as here: http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_16&products_id=235

$300 shipped if anyone wants it.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
I noticed a noise going to work today. It's a whine / hum increasing in pitch with speed, regardless of RPM, whether i'm in gear or which gear i'm in. It becomes noticeable at about 30, its probably loudest at 45ish after which it might just be getting muffled by road/wind noise but definitely still there.

It's difficult to tell whether it's coming from the front or the back, but I think it's from the front. What is it likely to be?

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Could be the speedometer or cable squeaking?

edit: although it wouldn't be difficult to tell where it was coming from, I don't think.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 17, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Sounds like your differential might be on it's way out?

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

destructo posted:

Sounds like your differential might be on it's way out?

Arse. Is there any way I can narrow down what it is or shall I take it to a mechanic?

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
I pulled off the center console and center dash piece to remove some non-functional wiring (subwoofer on/off switch that isn't connected to a subwoofer and a boost gauge on a normally aspirated car), and I found some things I'm curious about. First, what is this connector?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

That's forward and to the right of the shift boot, if it's not apparent.

Secondly, while tracing the vacuum hose for the useless boost gauge, I found another vacuum hose connected to it near where it goes through the firewall. The second hose goes from the footwell area to behind the dash where I can't see it. Any ideas what it could be going to?
I'm fairly certain that the car had a Megasquirt box at some point, since there is a GM-style AIT sensor bunged into the air intake tube. But since the car still has the AFM in and connected, and it won't start with the AFM disconnected, I've assumed that the Megasquirt was removed and the AIT sensor was left out of laziness. Am I wrong?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Either a connector for power windows or the light in the console.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Ok, must be for the console light. It's not connected because at some point a PO removed the useful, perfectly good console and replaced it with this:

Click here for the full 800x594 image.

:doh: God knows why.

Any ideas about the vacuum line?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

GoblinBomb posted:

Secondly, while tracing the vacuum hose for the useless boost gauge, I found another vacuum hose connected to it near where it goes through the firewall. The second hose goes from the footwell area to behind the dash where I can't see it. Any ideas what it could be going to?
I'm fairly certain that the car had a Megasquirt box at some point, since there is a GM-style AIT sensor bunged into the air intake tube. But since the car still has the AFM in and connected, and it won't start with the AFM disconnected, I've assumed that the Megasquirt was removed and the AIT sensor was left out of laziness. Am I wrong?

I think you've answered your own question here. the Megasquirt has a MAP sensor inside the box so you run a vacuum line all the way to the ECU. The AIT sensor is not enough to run the car alone, it works in conjunction with the MAP sensor (PV=nRT and all that).

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Yeah, I figured it was for the Megasquirt, but I wasn't sure whether the Megasquirt was uninstalled. But now I figure it has to be since I can start the car with the AIT unplugged and the vacuum line pulled off the intake manifold, which I tried after my last post. Which means one of the last two POs was pretty goddamn lazy.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well yeah, in most cases the Megasquirt either replaces the stock ECU in the stock location or runs as a piggyback and is mounted near the stock unit.

edit: You know it's possible the PO just started a Megasquirt project and never finished...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Slothophile posted:

I noticed a noise going to work today. It's a whine / hum increasing in pitch with speed, regardless of RPM, whether i'm in gear or which gear i'm in. It becomes noticeable at about 30, its probably loudest at 45ish after which it might just be getting muffled by road/wind noise but definitely still there.

It's difficult to tell whether it's coming from the front or the back, but I think it's from the front. What is it likely to be?

Wheel bearing?

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Wheel bearing?

This is the current best guess, but it shouldn't be costing me anything to fix so that's a bonus. The first really sunny weekend of the year and I have no car. :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Hey, is anyone here running the Beatrush undertray? Mine's all hosed up and I want to replace it. Wondering if it's worth the extra $$.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I was thinking about ordering snow chains/braided wire type for my Miata and wanted to get some opinions first.

I tend to run my summer tires late into the season, and sometimes switch out my studded winters because they're so drat loud.

I think it might be a good idea to carry a set of chains/braided cables in my trunk in the case of emergency, as I've been caught in surprise winter weather with my summers, requiring me to abandon my Miata in a lot until it thaws.

So, whats your experience with chains/cables, and where's a good place to buy them?
Are they exact fit, or can you adjust between common Miata sizes, say 195/50/15, 195/55/15, and 205/50/15? Is it beneficial to run 4, or just 2 on the driven wheels?

I was looking at a set advertised for low clearance:
http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=195/50-15&model=SZ119&f=chainz6_c.htm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My 94 has been making a squeaking noise when rolling. There's no thumping, just a squeak once in a while.

Any ideas?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Phone posted:

My 94 has been making a squeaking noise when rolling. There's no thumping, just a squeak once in a while.

Any ideas?

It might be your headlights, my headlights are pretty loud when they are up for some reason. It actually took me about 2 months to figure out they were the culprit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I should have been more specific, seems to be driver's side and it doesn't matter if the popups are up or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
:siren: Savington's poo poo has gone tits up :siren:

Savington: WHEN CRUISING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 68MPH
Savington: DO NOT EXPLODE YOUR MOTOR

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
:suicide:

If you are in Socal and you know of someone with a half-decent 1.8 longblock, I want to know about it. I haven't torn into the car yet, but the passenger side of the engine compartment is drenched in oil and it made some godawful noises when it let go. I believe the number 3 or 4 rod let go.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain

Phone posted:

Any ideas?

Probably your speedometer cable. That thing screams like a banshee when it hasn't been lubricated in a long time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That seems odd, but a possibility.

mars
Apr 5, 2005
I finally got a 95 M edition and I have some questions. Wall of text incoming.

First off, it has a plastic rear window. I thought by 95 they all came with glass windows, am I wrong on that?

Second, the car has 110K miles, but the owner said he got it with a blown engine at 85K. He said he replaced the long block with one from Japan (overnighted?). He didn't have much paperwork, the only order I see is for a BP RWD DOHC longblock. Are there different variants of this? Is this engine possibly any different than what came in the car originally?

Thirdly, what is a good place to order OEM parts? I'm talking abut small crap, like door switches, oil dipstick (mine has the loop broken), etc. Also anyone know where I can get a 95M edition original shift knob?

Finally, the car has some rough spots. It has a dent on the passenger rear quarter and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend some paintless dent removal in southern California. Also where is a good place to get some touch up paint in the original color.

Fake edit: I thought of another question, what is a good size tire for the bbs 15x6 wheels? The PO has some comically huge 225/50/15 on there. I'd like to get in on the RE-01 action, but want to get something a little smaller.

Will have pictures once I wash it, and lots more questions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mars posted:

First off, it has a plastic rear window. I thought by 95 they all came with glass windows, am I wrong on that?

Nope, all NAs had plastic windows from the factory. The glass window didn't show up until '99, but most aftermarket tops are available with glass windows. Whenever you replace the top, you can (and absolutely should) upgrade then.

mars posted:

Second, the car has 110K miles, but the owner said he got it with a blown engine at 85K. He said he replaced the long block with one from Japan (overnighted?). He didn't have much paperwork, the only order I see is for a BP RWD DOHC longblock. Are there different variants of this? Is this engine possibly any different than what came in the car originally?

There are different variants, but not by very much - as long as you've still got the 1.8, you have what the car came with, give or take 2hp.

mars
Apr 5, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nope, all NAs had plastic windows from the factory. The glass window didn't show up until '99, but most aftermarket tops are available with glass windows. Whenever you replace the top, you can (and absolutely should) upgrade then.

OK thanks, I don't really plan to use the top much (already look like a beet) but good to know. I've read this whole thread, but can't remember all of it. Most likely when the time comes I'll just switch to an NB top.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There are different variants, but not by very much - as long as you've still got the 1.8, you have what the car came with, give or take 2hp.

Is there a way I can even check that it's a 1.8 instead of a 1.6? What would the variance come from? Compression, etc?

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Well "BP" is the engine code for the 1.8, so I would feel pretty confident about it being the correct displacement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine#BP

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
over the last few days i've noticed a noise thats best described as "rocks in a coffee can" It happened this morning when I was backing out of my driveway, whenever I was using the clutch, but I also noticed it when I shut the engine off. it also makes itself heard when drving at lower RPMs, no idea if it gets drowned out by the motor later in the rev range :(

I've never heard any noise like this, and I really hope it isn't anything serious, as I was hoping to spend my play money on new tires and a guitar, not crazy engine repairs :(

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Help me identify a mystery seal please.

I'm replacing the valve cover gasket, the CAS ring (is it one or two?) and then I want to replace that leaky one on top of the cover that is connected to the intake and that I don't know of how it's called.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
is it a 1.8 or 1.6? on a 1.8, the CAS is on the exhaust side, on the 1.6 its on the intake. there should only be one.

that seal is (i think) the pcv valve grommet. or at least some sort of grommet.you should be able to just pull it out and replace it with one of the same size. just put a dab of oil in the new one and it'll pop right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
That's the PVC valve - 2$ part at autozone, and they have the corresponding gasket in the section. Pop it out (in the parking lot), and you'll be able to match it fairly easily.