Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

French Canadian posted:

I'll just leave it alone if it's not gonna burn my clutch out (though I usually dip into neutral at long stoplights).

Its a wet clutch and it'll take a lot more than that to burn it out. To give you an idea when I took my MSF there was a Honda Titan there with 24,000km on the clock. It was on the original clutch and had spent its entire life getting the poo poo kicked out of its clutch by students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Be careful with neutral at stoplights if you don't have cars stacked up behind you a few deep in case you get someone who decides it'd be easier to hit you than stop. :)

I've heard this statement a billion times but never had anything close to that happening after a couple years of riding. Do you guys live in areas with terrible drivers or something?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Jack the Smack posted:

I've heard this statement a billion times but never had anything close to that happening after a couple years of riding. Do you guys live in areas with terrible drivers or something?

Incident #1) My mom was driving. We were stopped at a stop sign. Guy hits us.

Incident #2) Back in the days of change tollbooths, my mom was stopped and a guy hit her with his truck. Twice. He was laughing about it.

Incident #3) I'm about to make a left with a woman 20 feet behind me. I stop after I see a guy's not going to for the changing light. She hits me so hard she pushes me into the guy who was going through the intersection. She claims she stepped on the brakes. My headache disagreed.

These were all in CARS. Big, shiny, things. People are idiots. You want to take the risk? Go right ahead.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

I had an incident where I was riding along in the right lane, with a truck in front of me. I switch to the left lane, pass her, as I do I glance over and note the cute girl texting on her phone. I'm going a little faster than her, and end up around 150 or so feet in front of her.

Light ahead goes red, I come to a stop, and the girl slides through the intersection next to me with all 4 wheels locked. I laughed about it until I got to my friend's place and realized that had I been in the other lane, I probably would have been under her truck.

I've had a couple of other close calls, but nothing else yet. I tag my brake as people come up behind me, and do a bunch of other little things to try and get people to notice me. The last thing I want on a bike is to get rear ended, because you're pretty much hosed.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Thanks for the tips on getting that clutch cable changed. Turns out its really as easy as you guys said it was going to be. :)

I notice after heavy riding there's some light smoke wafting up from what seems to be the underside of the bike. i think its something dripping and burning on my headers but I'm not sure. My bike leaks a bit (I gave up cleaning up the engine long ago because slow leaks like to reappear without notice slowly but surely) so I'm assuming its some mystery liquid hitting something and vaporizing.
Wherever it is, its coming from that specific area, down near the oil pan. is this a big deal? Should I be concerned for my safety or just concerned about looking like a scrub on my pigpen bike?

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 19, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

I tag my brake as people come up behind me, and do a bunch of other little things to try and get people to notice me.

Stop light light show.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

I had an incident where I was riding along in the right lane, with a truck in front of me. I switch to the left lane, pass her, as I do I glance over and note the cute girl texting on her phone. I'm going a little faster than her, and end up around 150 or so feet in front of her.

Light ahead goes red, I come to a stop, and the girl slides through the intersection next to me with all 4 wheels locked. I laughed about it until I got to my friend's place and realized that had I been in the other lane, I probably would have been under her truck.

I've had a couple of other close calls, but nothing else yet. I tag my brake as people come up behind me, and do a bunch of other little things to try and get people to notice me. The last thing I want on a bike is to get rear ended, because you're pretty much hosed.

I think it's my loud pipes then that keep me safe, cause on the bikes I've ridding I've installed or they come with loud rear end exhaust.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jack the Smack posted:

it nearly killed at least one goon. wish i could remember his name.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Jack the Smack posted:

:worms:

This man speaks the truth. :downs:

I've never had anyone nearly run into me at stop lights, it's usually just some inattentive asshat trying to merge into me. Your bike has a horn for a reason, kids. As long as you practice proper lane position, have good spatial awareness, and have a functioning horn, the risk posed by traffic can be mitigated.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I think it's my loud pipes then that keep me safe, cause on the bikes I've ridding I've installed or they come with loud rear end exhaust.

I ride a bike with pipes louder than most and I've still almost been rear ended a few times. It's not when you're at the front of the pack that it's the problem, it's when you're in between cars. I've almost been sandwiched quite a few times in the last year, and if not for looking in my mirrors would be hosed. One instance wasn't even at a stop sign and if I hadn't been checking my mirrors I would've been badly hurt. A lady was making a left turn into a parking lot on a busy 1 land road near me. I see her put on her blinker, and look in my rear view to see a large truck not slowing at all, so without thinking I don't even slow and I just slide past the lady turning in the shoulder. As I got past her front bumper I had the pleasure of hearing the truck behind me lock up its tires and slide inches from her bumper.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I get hyper-aware of my rear area whenever I see a cop on the side of the road; people (and drunks especially) fixate on the lights and ignore what's in front of them. Bikes are only hit from behind something like five percent of the time though, so I still spend most of my attention on avoiding people turning left in front of me.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Getting rear ended is one of the rarest accidents on a bike, but it can happen. My GF's dad was rearended while on his bike and sitting at a stop sign once.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jack the Smack posted:

this is a pretty clever troll because all of his previous posts were just on the edge of stupid, but plausible, thus establishing a high functioning idiot track record, but then he throws this one out which on its own would be an obvious troll but in context it's kinda hard to tell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

I've never had anyone nearly run into me at stop lights, it's usually just some inattentive asshat trying to merge into me. Your bike has a horn for a reason, kids. As long as you practice proper lane position, have good spatial awareness, and have a functioning horn, the risk posed by traffic can be mitigated.

So lets say you're sitting at an intersection and someones barreling down on you, not paying attention.

Assuming you notice beforeband in your mirrors or something, your proposed solution is to honk your horn at a car coming up behind you?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jack the Smack posted:

Jack the Smack is my favorite CA poster.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Jack the Smack is my favorite CA poster.

I like that he's gone from being ridiculed wherever he shows up to being sort of the clown mascot of the Cycle Asylum once everyone realized he's the Bizarro version of anything anyone would ever recommend.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Speaking of JTS. In the sv650 thread I asked how easy it was to change motorcycle batteries. I'm always deathly afraid of jumping cars, etc.

Is it as simple as unscrewing the negative and positive posts, disconnecting the wires, and dropping the new battery in? Can I use a metal screwdriver? I mean, seriously, I don't want to die.

JTS told me to touch both ends at the same time with wet fingers :supaburn:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Speaking of JTS. In the sv650 thread I asked how easy it was to change motorcycle batteries. I'm always deathly afraid of jumping cars, etc.

Is it as simple as unscrewing the negative and positive posts, disconnecting the wires, and dropping the new battery in? Can I use a metal screwdriver? I mean, seriously, I don't want to die.

JTS told me to touch both ends at the same time with wet fingers :supaburn:

It is that easy. Just don't ground out against the frame, or you get sparks.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Captain Apollo posted:

Battery stuff.

DO NOT unscrew both posts before removing the wires. The procedure is 1) Unscrew and remove the ground wire. Make sure the ground wire isn't going to slide back into contact with the ground terminal of the battery. 2) Unscrew and remove the power wire. 3) Remove battery without touching the terminals.

When the ground wire is connected to the ground terminal there are 12 volts and about 100 amps waiting to fry anything that connects the positive terminal to the frame of the bike. This could be across your hand, the screwdriver, or a path all the way from your knee to your hand. That last one would be pretty lovely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The battery will explode and you will die. People just throw bikes away when the battery dies, as its far too dangerous to even look at a battery let alone change one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Thanks for the tips on getting that clutch cable changed. Turns out its really as easy as you guys said it was going to be. :)

I notice after heavy riding there's some light smoke wafting up from what seems to be the underside of the bike. i think its something dripping and burning on my headers but I'm not sure. My bike leaks a bit (I gave up cleaning up the engine long ago because slow leaks like to reappear without notice slowly but surely) so I'm assuming its some mystery liquid hitting something and vaporizing.
Wherever it is, its coming from that specific area, down near the oil pan. is this a big deal? Should I be concerned for my safety or just concerned about looking like a scrub on my pigpen bike?

My bike does the same thing. Since I switched to synthetic an oil cooler fitting has a slow leak that will drip over time, then burn off in a few minutes if I haven't ridden in a couple days. I don't really pay it much mind other than cleaning it up once and awhile.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Phat_Albert posted:

The battery will explode and you will die. People just throw bikes away when the battery dies, as its far too dangerous to even look at a battery let alone change one.

I want to be careful, is it ok to put gasoline in my bike when it runs out or should I fear the explosion? :flame:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Phat_Albert posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The NonBornKing posted:

DO NOT unscrew both posts before removing the wires. The procedure is 1) Unscrew and remove the ground wire. Make sure the ground wire isn't going to slide back into contact with the ground terminal of the battery. 2) Unscrew and remove the power wire. 3) Remove battery without touching the terminals.

When the ground wire is connected to the ground terminal there are 12 volts and about 100 amps waiting to fry anything that connects the positive terminal to the frame of the bike. This could be across your hand, the screwdriver, or a path all the way from your knee to your hand. That last one would be pretty lovely.

Ground wire = negative?
Power wire = positive?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Phat_Albert posted:

So lets say you're sitting at an intersection and someones barreling down on you, not paying attention.

Assuming you notice beforeband in your mirrors or something, your proposed solution is to honk your horn at a car coming up behind you?

I meant for every situation but being rear ended, which is why I do leave my bike in gear at lights, with the clutch in, and keep an eagle eye on my mirrors, at least until there are a few cars stopped behind me.

Yes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

I meant for every situation but being rear ended, which is why I do leave my bike in gear at lights, with the clutch in, and keep an eagle eye on my mirrors, at least until there are a few cars stopped behind me.

Yes.

:xd:

Oh JTS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

Well seriously, are you that afraid of a 12 volt battery? Dont go shorting it out and you'll be fine. If you do short it out it will spark, and maybe melt the terminals.

Its a battery, its not a land mine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a battery, its not a land mine.

And after The NonBornKing's constructive post, he knows that now.

And yes, ground wire = negative.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
depending on the bike, however, some batteries can be a real hassle to get at.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I remember a thread on ADVRider where a guy stopped to make a left turn and waiting for traffic to clear was rear ended on his giant BMW touring rig and was turned into a quadriplegic. He even had auxiliary flashing warning lights, car driver didn't even see him.

Simkin posted:

I can't even hear my own horn while riding, like loving hell someone in a car will. Stock exhaust too. (full disclosure, I wear earplugs while riding. But even without them, the wind noise is way louder than the horn.)

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

`Nemesis posted:

I can't even hear my own horn while riding, like loving hell someone in a car will. Stock exhaust too. (full disclosure, I wear earplugs while riding. But even without them, the wind noise is way louder than the horn.)

The stock horn on my Triumph sounded like a child whispering "meep" in a distant room. That was without wind noise during basic surface street riding (~30mph). I upgraded to the loudest aftermarket horn I could find. Now it sounds like the child shouts "meep." Underwater. Still in a distant room. A room full of pillows. In a Dynamat warehouse.

My experience is that motorcycle horns aren't worth a drat under pretty much any circumstances I can think of.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

OrangeFurious posted:

The stock horn on my Triumph sounded like a child whispering "meep" in a distant room. That was without wind noise during basic surface street riding (~30mph). I upgraded to the loudest aftermarket horn I could find. Now it sounds like the child shouts "meep." Underwater. Still in a distant room. A room full of pillows. In a Dynamat warehouse.

My experience is that motorcycle horns aren't worth a drat under pretty much any circumstances I can think of.

Get an air horn.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Discussion about horns, flashy lights, and bright clothes bothers me. Horns are for getting someones attention in a non critical situation. Flashy lights, bright lights, they don't hurt. But they can't be your primary form of safety. I've said it before, even if you're right, if a car hits you, you're still the loser.

Finally:
IF YOU ARE DEPENDING ON SOMEONE ELSE NOTICING YOU, YOU HAVE FAILED AS A RIDER

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If the military had come to me before spending all that money on stealth technology, I could have done it cheap. "Paint a motorcycle on it and nobody will ever notice it".

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Finally:
IF YOU ARE DEPENDING ON SOMEONE ELSE NOTICING YOU, YOU HAVE FAILED AS A RIDER

This is 100% the truth.
Ride like you are the only thinking being on the road. Everything else on the road is just random debris careening along at speed. This debris may or may not cross your path. It's up to you to make sure you are ready if it does.

Prince
Jul 12, 2006
I HOPE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FIST BECAUSE IM GOING TO RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND BREAK YOUR GOD DAMN SPINE
I just got my first bike, a 1981 Honda CX500. I was reading the user manual last night, and it says to use the kill/stop switch "in an emergency only!"

I've been using it on a daily basis as the means to shut off the engine, seems like good practise to be familiar with it, and its also convenient.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't use it? Electrical or mechanical?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I used to use the kill all of the time on my old Hondas since the ignition was under the tank and it was much easier to shut them off that way. All of my bikes that have had a key up top I use either or.
I would go with whatever you are comfortable with. I'm sure your not going to wear out the switch by using it. Just don't forget your keys in the ignition (I do this at least 50% of the time).

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
The kill switch is essentially the best way to turn off a bike. I never turn it off by turning the key, always the kill switch first.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
there's a safety reason to use the kill switch. when the engine is running, it's always better to have your hands on the handlebars. that's why they teach you to use it in the MSF class. i would just ignore that manual. the worst thing that could happen is the switch could wear out, and parts for those things aren't expensive or hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I think the only even remotely legitimate reason I've read to use the kill switch is that if something bad happens while you're riding and you need to kill the motor it's more in your muscle memory. I've only used the kill when I'm working on something and for some reason want the electrics to remain on.