Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Stoic Commie posted:

Are getting new brakes for it going to be a pain? The front disc is not ventilated and I want one that is, are brakes often interchangeable?

There's no good reason to swap to a drilled rotor, if the bike isn't being used for racing. If you were arguing the merits of drum vs. disk, sure, but as long as you have decent pads, sufficient brake fluid, and new (or at least non-lovely) lines, you'll have no problem with stopping. If it actually does need new rotors, then yes, it should be a trivial matter to put drilled rotors on, if you can find a set of rotors with the same bolt pattern. If not, well, just see if you can find some NOS rotors and new pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
hey, look what I found locally!

"1973 suzuki rv90 - $500 (wasilla)
Reply to: sale-1043600345@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-02-20, 4:20PM AKST

1973 rv 90 did some work on it. 1 tire leaks air. speedometer works fine. headlight and taillight have been removed as seen
in pictures. had it running fine last summer but now seems to be a carburetor problem. has a key. it travels about 40 mph.
there is a tear in the seat"

Take that and then use the engine from this!

"1971 Honda CT Trail 90. - $250 (eagle river)
Reply to: sale-1043433250@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-02-20, 2:09PM AKST

I bought this bike with the intentions of doing a restoration but I have too many other projects going and need to make some room.
The previous owner rebuilt the top-end but I have never tried to get the bike running. It will need a thorough going over and parts replaced to make it a runner.
You know the drill.
I don't have a title or registration but I will provide a Bill of Sale. I do have the ignition key for the bike.
Call for more info."

Now I am actually tempted by the Trail 90. My first bike was a Trail 90 of that vintage-I'd have to look at it to determine if in fact it was my old bike but it is red, it is missing the side cover and the plastic cover over the downtube, and I am seriously considering having a peek at it. Like I need another project!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Simkin posted:

There's no good reason to swap to a drilled rotor, if the bike isn't being used for racing. If you were arguing the merits of drum vs. disk, sure, but as long as you have decent pads, sufficient brake fluid, and new (or at least non-lovely) lines, you'll have no problem with stopping. If it actually does need new rotors, then yes, it should be a trivial matter to put drilled rotors on, if you can find a set of rotors with the same bolt pattern. If not, well, just see if you can find some NOS rotors and new pads.

It does need a new rotor. The disc is glazed over and is a bit worn. So what exactly do I need to check for to ensure that a disc from a different model of bike will be compatible so that I can get a newer type of disc?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Glazed doesn't matter, thickness does. As long as it's in spec, you can just whip out some sandpaper and clean that poo poo off. What's better than a free repair?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Stoic Commie posted:

Welp the Ninja 500 got sold out from under me, but I found this

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1041042830.html

Well sweet, between this and the KZ440 guy we're building a geriatric KZ army here in AI.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

Well sweet, between this and the KZ440 guy we're building a geriatric KZ army here in AI.

sup bros i got an 81 kz440ltd i'm refurbishing too :wotwot:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

sup bros i got an 81 kz440ltd i'm refurbishing too :wotwot:

I get to be the leader then because my KZ650 is the fastest :smug:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

I get to be the leader then because my KZ650 is the fastest :smug:

I think this guy's KZ400 would win :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sucks to you guys, I've got the 738cc version of that engine. :smug:

Go, go gadget computer controlled carbs! :eng99:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So are there any big problems with KZs that I should watch out for?

He said that he drained the carbs, but I'm going to have to clean them I suppose.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Stoic Commie posted:

So are there any big problems with KZs that I should watch out for?
Yes, dropping them on your feet. They're heavy.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Why should I not buy a 1997 Honda Magna 750? Price is reasonable, no problems except for a dent in the tank (looks repairable).

Not my first bike but it will be the first bike I take on a long, long trip. If I get it. Any known issues?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am looking at purchasing a 1996 Suzuki RF600R w/ 10,000 miles for $1800.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1044546137.html

I'm unfamiliar with that model or generation and I've tried to do some research on it, but I can't turn up much. Anyone have any opinions or experience with them? This won't be my first bike.

bluremi
Sep 11, 2003

I don't like your face.
Is this a good deal? 2002 Suzuki EX500, 7.5k miles, $2700

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=3331&pid=1&sTxt=ninja&st=Description

Should I get the certified pre-owned program for 600 more?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I picked up a 85 Magna V45 with 12k miles, new paint and seat for $1800. Here's the photo from the previous owner;

I've taken the windshield off and I'm probably going to lose the sissybar but otherwise I'm pretty excited. Can't wait for MSF in a week or two.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

1996 Suzuki RF600R

Random mid-90s Suzuki 600 that I've never heard of/seen before. :cool:

Looks like a pretty fair price, considering the apparent mileage and condition. Nothing to lose in going to check it out, right?

bluremi:
That's a fair to middling price on that bike, depending on your market. As far as CPO, it probably depends on what exactly that agreement covers.

I wonder what would be a wierder swap - the GS500's mill into the EX500 or vice versa. :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Hughmoris posted:

I am looking at purchasing a 1996 Suzuki RF600R w/ 10,000 miles for $1800.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1044546137.html

This was an interem bike. Between the steel and aluminum framed GSXR's. It's got a Steel double spar frame. That makes it unique. It's also the exact same frame as the RF900. That is, the motors swap. ;-) Plastics are hard to find, but the rest of the bike is pretty generic suzuki. including the legendary reliability.

They have a problem with the coilpacks getting wet. if your bike runs fine, seal the coils with silicone and consider your rear end saved.

The price isn't unreasonable. Ask when the last time he had the valves done was, and if he had a jet kit installed at the same time as the can. Get him to knock $100 off.

bluremi
Sep 11, 2003

I don't like your face.

Simkin posted:

bluremi:
That's a fair to middling price on that bike, depending on your market. As far as CPO, it probably depends on what exactly that agreement covers.

I wonder what would be a wierder swap - the GS500's mill into the EX500 or vice versa. :v:

I live in NYC. I've found a 2003 EX500 on craigslist with 3k fewer miles for $500 less, but knowing next to nothing about bike maintenance I thought it would be wiser to have a bike that's certified or something so there are no nasty surprises.

Am I wasting money with this line of thought? Would just taking it to a shop and saying "fix whatever needs fixin'" be more cost effective?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nerobro posted:

Stuff on RF600...

Thanks for the information. I did a little more research on it, seems that the riding position on it is pretty brutal for any sort of distance, so being a bigger guy I'm going to avoid that one. I did however find this gem:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1044983648.html

1994 VFR750 with 33K miles for $2900. I personally don't know much about the bike, except that it seems to have a rabid following. I plan on giving the guy a ring and checking it out after work. Any thoughts on the bike?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the information. I did a little more research on it, seems that the riding position on it is pretty brutal for any sort of distance, so being a bigger guy I'm going to avoid that one. I did however find this gem:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/1044983648.html

1994 VFR750 with 33K miles for $2900. I personally don't know much about the bike, except that it seems to have a rabid following. I plan on giving the guy a ring and checking it out after work. Any thoughts on the bike?

Pretty awesome bikes. Gear driven cams and a very smooth v4 motor. The givi bags and corbin are worth $1000 or so alone. Pretty moderate sporty riding position with lots of options for bars if you want to make it more comfortable.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Am I crazy for wanting a Triumph Daytona 675, I am looking for a upgrade for when I hit my full license, I am not really keen about jumping onto a 1000cc machine but I am looking for something with a decent bit of HP but light and nimble as well.

Here in Aust the Daytona is cheaper then a GSXR600 to buy new, and the 09 models have the Triumph ahead of the GSXR in power and weight. I don't see a down side really, aside from the possibilities of horrible reliability due to the british factor.

Is this bike worth considering, it just looks so dam good I think I am in love.

This is the Daytona 675 SE, I pretty much want this exact bike, exact colours and wheels and everything.

DiZ fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 23, 2009

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

DiZ posted:

Am I crazy for wanting a Triumph Daytona 675, I am looking for a upgrade for when I hit my full license, I am not really keen about jumping onto a 1000cc machine but I am looking for something with a decent bit of HP but light and nimble as well.

What are you riding currently? How severe are the restrictions there?

Prince
Jul 12, 2006
I HOPE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FIST BECAUSE IM GOING TO RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND BREAK YOUR GOD DAMN SPINE

NightGyr posted:

What are you riding currently? How severe are the restrictions there?

In NSW (and probably most other states but I have no idea) its max 660cc with a power to weight ratio of under 150kW/tonne.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

Prince posted:

In NSW (and probably most other states but I have no idea) its max 660cc with a power to weight ratio of under 150kW/tonne.

The man is spot on, I am in NSW and that is my restriction currently. Right now I ride a 2004 Suzuki GS500.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Iniquitous posted:

Alright, so I finally moved out of NYC and I'm looking to get in the game. I've been craigslisting stuff and I've found two bikes that look really awesome:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/1041743812.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/1037045143.html

Thoughts on either? This would be a first bike. I figure they're not going to be too powerful but my worry is maintenance--might be a lot of work/trouble if something breaks.
Argh, someone beat me to the Honda. But the same guy is selling a 2000 Kawasaki W650 with a custom paint job for $4k. He hasn't posted the CL ad yet, but I'll link it when he does. Too expensive? Too much bike?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

xREED LORD 420x posted:

I picked up a 85 Magna V45 with 12k miles, new paint and seat for $1800. Here's the photo from the previous owner;

I've taken the windshield off and I'm probably going to lose the sissybar but otherwise I'm pretty excited. Can't wait for MSF in a week or two.

Are you in the March 11/14/15 class? That's the one I signed up for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Iniquitous posted:

Argh, someone beat me to the Honda. But the same guy is selling a 2000 Kawasaki W650 with a custom paint job for $4k. He hasn't posted the CL ad yet, but I'll link it when he does. Too expensive? Too much bike?

Eh, sounds a bit on the high end pricewise, but the W650 is basically a old british twin that works. Not too much bike.

DiZ, those triumphs are great bikes, I've just cruised a small bit on one and it was fantastic. They're really tall bikes, so be aware of that, and of course all of the things that usually come up with a supersport apply. Make sure that you keep the oil topped off as some of the earlier models had issues burning oil. Not sure if that was resolved or if they just burn a bit.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DiZ posted:

The man is spot on, I am in NSW and that is my restriction currently. Right now I ride a 2004 Suzuki GS500.

*shrug* Some people will tell you you'll be a better rider if you stay on a smaller bike for longer. Though this is probably true you've gotta ask if being a better rider is your real goal or if you just ride for fun and would rather have a cool looking fast bike than shave seconds off your lap times. You should also really try riding an SS to see if its what you want. I bought a new CBR600RR after a year and a half and 15,000 miles on a GS500 and didn't kill myself, but it ended up not being the right bike for me. Wasted a bunch of money to figure that out when I should have just borrowed a friend's bike for the weekend instead.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Z3n posted:

Eh, sounds a bit on the high end pricewise, but the W650 is basically a old british twin that works. Not too much bike.
You're right--just checked KBB and an immaculate 2000 w650 should be $3520. I'll see if I can get him to knock it down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

*shrug* Some people will tell you you'll be a better rider if you stay on a smaller bike for longer. Though this is probably true you've gotta ask if being a better rider is your real goal or if you just ride for fun and would rather have a cool looking fast bike than shave seconds off your lap times. You should also really try riding an SS to see if its what you want. I bought a new CBR600RR after a year and a half and 15,000 miles on a GS500 and didn't kill myself, but it ended up not being the right bike for me. Wasted a bunch of money to figure that out when I should have just borrowed a friend's bike for the weekend instead.

The "supersport not being as fun to ride as it looks" is a big reason that people should go for extended test rides or borrow bikes before buying one.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

The "supersport not being as fun to ride as it looks" is a big reason that people should go for extended test rides or borrow bikes before buying one.

The problem is no one wants to let people do extended rides on supersports (though that probably makes sense). Luckily for DiZ I think Triumph is one of the few companies that do. Though I'd be after the Street Triple R myself.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Z3n posted:

Yeah, he's asking $4k. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/1046897371.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Yeah, he's asking $4k. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/1046897371.html

That's a very nice bike. He's still asking too much, but if you like it, I'd show up with 3.5k in hand and see if he'll come down to upper KBB. He sounds like the sort of owner you want to buy a bike from, compulsive about maintenence and stuff (2 valve checks and moving them to spec just because). I bet if you go and talk to him about it, you'll end up chatting for an hour about bikes.

pr0zac, triumph typically does offer test rides. Back when I was a newer rider, I walked into a Triumph dealership and they wanted me to test ride a Daytona 650 so badly...I'd been riding for like, 5 months. I was astounded.

I too lust after a Street 3 R as well. My g/f does too...although her Z1000 is a decent holdover.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Z3n posted:

That's a very nice bike. He's still asking too much, but if you like it, I'd show up with 3.5k in hand and see if he'll come down to upper KBB. He sounds like the sort of owner you want to buy a bike from, compulsive about maintenence and stuff (2 valve checks and moving them to spec just because). I bet if you go and talk to him about it, you'll end up chatting for an hour about bikes.
Heh, yeah, I actually met him over the weekend when I was looking at the Honda (saw this one at the same time). He clearly loves his bikes, and he's moving on to a Moto Guzzi. He said he'd entertain anything about $3800 because he's not a motivated seller (I emailed him about it). All in all I'm very tempted, but I'll have to put turn signals back on it and I'd remove the windscreen. Since it's an '01, KBB value is actually $3775 so he's in the right area. It's a beautiful bike, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Heh, yeah, I actually met him over the weekend when I was looking at the Honda (saw this one at the same time). He clearly loves his bikes, and he's moving on to a Moto Guzzi. He said he'd entertain anything about $3800 because he's not a motivated seller (I emailed him about it). All in all I'm very tempted, but I'll have to put turn signals back on it and I'd remove the windscreen. Since it's an '01, KBB value is actually $3775 so he's in the right area. It's a beautiful bike, though.

As a first bike, I'd be careful buying something that's so cosmetically perfect...nothing would be worse than hating yourself because you dinged up an awesome paintjob.

Turn signals and windshield would be easy to fit/fix.

It'd be a good starter bike and all, I'd just be concerned about the cosmetics of it. If you don't think that'll really bother you and the bike puts a smile on your face, then go for it :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Back when I was a newer rider, I walked into a Triumph dealership and they wanted me to test ride a Daytona 650 so badly...I'd been riding for like, 5 months. I was astounded.

This was me when I brought my Buell in for service. They wanted me to test ride 20k Harleys and all I could think of was dropping one.

The Daytona was a bike I've been looking at too, it seems like it's a more streetable 600-class bike without the wacky powerband that most of those bikes have. Though I'll probably get a DRZ instead, since it seems to be a better learner bike for getting the knee down or wheelieing (and also cheap as hell used).

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 24, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I've ridden my friend's Daytona 675 a few times. It's actually the reason I bought a 600cc motorcycle. It's a really great machine. Small, super-powerful, and truly beautiful. However, the seating position is extreme enough that it becomes really uncomfortable at low speeds. I definitely wouldn't use one for commuting or touring.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gnaghi posted:

The Daytona was a bike I've been looking at too, it seems like it's a more streetable 600-class bike without the wacky powerband that most of those bikes have. Though I'll probably get a DRZ instead, since it seems to be a better learner bike for getting the knee down or wheelieing (and also cheap as hell used).

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssss come to the dark side. Putting in my FCR carb tonight. Assuming all goes well I should hopefully be in jail by this time tomorrow.

Also if you are trying to drag knee on a supermotard you're doing it wrong. (My friend Matt "taking care of my DRZ while I move")

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssss come to the dark side. Putting in my FCR carb tonight. Assuming all goes well I should hopefully be in jail by this time tomorrow.

Also if you are trying to drag knee on a supermotard you're doing it wrong. (My friend Matt "taking care of my DRZ while I move")

Nicky Hayden says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MrKatharsis posted:

I've ridden my friend's Daytona 675 a few times. It's actually the reason I bought a 600cc motorcycle. It's a really great machine. Small, super-powerful, and truly beautiful. However, the seating position is extreme enough that it becomes really uncomfortable at low speeds. I definitely wouldn't use one for commuting or touring.

Ugh are there any SS bikes that are comfortable? Reviews were making it look like is the supersport for the street. I'll probably end up getting a DRZ anyways. That much fun for close to 3 grand used is a drat good deal, regardless of what ends up getting dragged.