Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dev griefs are the best griefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dev griefs are the best griefs.

this is completely off topic...but if you had anything to do with the lets play your avatar is from, you rule.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
:ssh: SynthOrange is the perpetrator of that LP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, time to fake my death again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think you're supposed to announce that beforehand, Orange.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
Planetside was great for griefing in the early days, and even the beta days. (especially the beta days)

I liked flying the galaxy, (i.e. c-130 troop transport) You could joing a squad, fly them out to nowhere and either eject them from your ship, stop and hover and go out to lunch, or eject them into a large lake or ocean causing them eventual death, and a respawn far far away from the battle.

Another thing I liked to do back when it was still a pretty new game, and large "guilds" or whatever they called themselves then would all rally up for a group photo. There could be up to a hundred or so people in this. In beta before the grief cap was set (making you not be able to pilot a vehicle over 5mph, or shoot any weapon) I would sign up for the guild, and then grab my giant lumbering galaxy and wait for them all to line up for the photo shoot.

Once lined up, this building on wings would belly flop and slide across the ground killing many, many troops. Destroying (well delaying) the photo shoot.

I am not actually part of your tribe.

Back in Tribes and Tribes 2 I was pretty good, not top tier but could compete pretty well and I would get plenty of offers from groups to join their teams in online competition leagues.

I would win the love of some head nerd in an pubbie match using an alt, once asked and then went to the tryouts and eventually (hopefully) join I would start practicing with them. I liked being a heavy, or a flag capper usually.

The second I got a slot in an official ladder match, I would usually take my heavy, grab a shield pack, and start TK spamming my mortors in our own base and eventually against our defenses. I'd often get kicked soon enough from an admin or official or whatever they were called but hell I had fun loving that program up. Or, once in a while I'd be subtle and send my mortors flying into my defenders that might be chasing the other team as they were stealing a flag, or a mortor would happen to land on our remote defenses.... a lot.

Good god tribes was fun to grief in so many ways.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Brydinut posted:

Right now, the demonic side is on the upswing. They're currently griefing our side (magick) :V by just camping our city and townes and just killing our guards us over and over. It's not too much fun, but what can you do. Raiding has always been the most boring thing ever. It'll pass eventually.

To anyone thinking of playing Imperian, don't visit the forums. Our playerbase is pretty lovely overall, and the forums are like the bottom of the barrel. In addition, the game has a lot of cliques, and if you piss off the wrong one, be prepared to be killed a lot for dumb reasons.

In all honestly, playing is probably a bad idea.

You inspire me. A friend of mine is still running part of the anti-magic side, and he keeps telling me to come join as a player. Slap a few triggers in and not be an idiot, and you're a God among Players. Let the countergriefing begin!

Brydinut
Dec 20, 2006

Raiche posted:

You inspire me. A friend of mine is still running part of the anti-magic side, and he keeps telling me to come join as a player. Slap a few triggers in and not be an idiot, and you're a God among Players. Let the countergriefing begin!

It'd be nice to have some creative griefing. Most of the griefing is just done by just killing people over and over, which is rather boring.

Many of the players take the game way too seriously, especially the demonic side. It is up to us to remind them it's just a game. :v: I think the magick side has pissed them off somehow in an oblique way because they've been camping us for a day and a half straight. It's like they don't need sleep or have work.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Brydinut posted:

It'd be nice to have some creative griefing. Most of the griefing is just done by just killing people over and over, which is rather boring.

Many of the players take the game way too seriously, especially the demonic side. It is up to us to remind them it's just a game. :v: I think the magick side has pissed them off somehow in an oblique way because they've been camping us for a day and a half straight. It's like they don't need sleep or have work.

See, that's the equivalent of spawn camping, and it's not fun at all! You have to be more creative.

I recall one war in Achaea, we took all the gold we could find. Stolen, earned, created by quest, etc... and bought all the diamond dust in the world, every day it was reset in stores. Every drop. Diamond dust is an NPC provided ingredient in Restoration vials. If you don't know, that's the vial that repairs mangled limbs.

So all during the war, instead of killing anyone, we broke their limbs and mangled them, never really trying for anything else. Over and over and over, eventually all their supplies of restoration were out. By the end of it, they could claim more kills, but to do anything they had to slowly, slowly drag their mangled carcasses across the world (or use a skill that pretty much means you die). Skill doesn't matter at that point, so we then brought in armies of newbies and told them "Hit them in the legs." Now that's how you wage war, make it so that they can't do anything but surrender. Camping is boring!

Against the Druids we destroyed their forests and bought out all of the Elemental Ice they would use to repair it. To this day, any Druid in Achaea over 200 should know well enough to keep piles of dust and ice on hand, just in case.

In the case of Imperian, you guys have the Lorekeepers. Get 10-12 newbies with bows, hand them barbed arrows and tell them to fire on command. No one should be able to lose with that. 10 barbs is instant death!

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I had the best L4D griefing session last night. We were in versus, and I was just doing the most childish things possible. Two members of my team found it pretty funny and didn't really pay any attention, but the other guy was just going nuts, screaming at me in the microphone, telling me to attack them whilst he was dead. He kept trying to kick me, and usually the other two would vote no, but when they did, I'd just join again (you can get the server from the history tab in the server browser). We got through the entire campaign in the end without him ragequitting, which was quite an achievement.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

honeymustard posted:

He kept trying to kick me, and usually the other two would vote no, but when they did, I'd just join again (you can get the server from the history tab in the server browser). We got through the entire campaign in the end without him ragequitting, which was quite an achievement.
At least on XBox, it's pretty much impossible to votekick someone who rejoins the room, before they are able to teamkill or at least badly wound someone. Good reason to not gently caress with people in Expert unless you really don't want to finish. ;)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So in knocking weapons off the table in L4D, can you keep hitting them out of the way?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 12, 2009

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The last bit of griefing I did in WoW was a few years ago before I quit. In Nagrand there's a quest called Shattering the Veil where a giant elemental gives you a special rock for killing evil rock elementals. There's a ton of those guys in Spirit Fields, on the other side of the giant crystal, perfect to farm for the quest.

As I was over there, a 70 alliance priest kept pulling them before I could get close enough, really pissing me off. The rock you get for the quest only works when the monsters are close to death, so I'd wait until the priest had the elemental almost dead, and then chuck it. When you use the rock, it makes the monster split into three smaller guys that all start attacking. Now instead of one fight, he had to fight three more guys who were all back at full health, not giving him a chance to heal after the first battle. I almost had him killed at one point, after he tried aoe-ing on three big guys at once, and I hit all of them one after the other.

I followed that fucker around for over an hour, and put off turning in the quest just so I could keep the stone and use it on other people.

The other thing I did was mineral camping. I found an adamantium node, and as soon as I hit it, a 70 swooped down to try and steal the next whack. I thought I heard someone flying around, so I hit shift before I mined to disable auto-loot. The guy waited ten minutes for me to get up, trying to lure monsters over to me (which didn't work) before finally getting bored and flying off again. gently caress you, it's my node.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.

Waffle! posted:

gently caress you, it's my node.

My Titanium node. Three losers. THIRTY MINUTES.

I went and made food.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So in knocking weapons off the table in L4D, can you keep hitting them out of the way?
It would be insanely funny to hide all the autoshotties and assault rifles and force their team to only take hunting rifles, if the director wouldn't just keep spawning more and more guns as they go. ;)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Waffle! posted:

The other thing I did was mineral camping. I found an adamantium node, and as soon as I hit it, a 70 swooped down to try and steal the next whack. I thought I heard someone flying around, so I hit shift before I mined to disable auto-loot. The guy waited ten minutes for me to get up, trying to lure monsters over to me (which didn't work) before finally getting bored and flying off again. gently caress you, it's my node.

In the last patch, they finally made it so using the node once gives a loot window with everything the node held. No more losing half your mining node to some idiot dropping down just as you finished mining!

...so now my favorite thing is to fly around and strip mine. I find a mineral node, mine it with autoloot turned off, and take everything but one crystallized element - usually earth or water. The node remains and shows up on mineral tracking but doesn't regenerate, so the next guy to come by farming metals hits it and gets...one crystallized earth! This is the most fun with titanium, since it's a rarespawn mineral and quite valuable.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Call of Duty 4. The Terrorists Win!

I'd set up stun grenades/special x 3/martyrdom. (important to use STUN and not FLASH grenades)

Then I'd hold the trigger to hold up my stun grenade and walk into a room full of enemies. They would inevitably shoot me, whereupon I would drop my stun, instantly freezing everybody in place. Then the Martyrdom grenade would kick in...

Oh the Xbox Live hilarium that would ensue.

If no one was in range, I'd blind throw it somewhere just to annoy somebody; what's it to me, I had two more where they came from. Best part? If I stayed with a group long enough, they'd think twice about killing me. Then my teammates who were privvy to it would SWAT their way in and eliminate the lot.

Then I'd go outside and throw the stun grenade over to the most likely enemy spawning point since MY team was in one area. Rubbing it in was the best.

Hey, if it works for the Taliban...

Brimstone Inquiry fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 13, 2009

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

I'd set up stun grenades/special x 3/martyrdom. (important to use STUN and not FLASH grenades)

Then I'd hold the trigger to hold up my stun grenade and walk into a room full of enemies. They would inevitably shoot me, whereupon I would drop my stun, instantly freezing everybody in place. Then the Martyrdom grenade would kick in...
You sir are a geniuse. I'm going to reinstall COD4 tonight and do just that. Or play FEAR2. I don't know what will have more pull.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I convinced someone to (almost) jump off a cliff in L4D. We were playing a versus mode game, we were survivors first in each round, and we were doing terribly, so I figured everyone on my team would appreciate skipping straight to playing infected.

In Blood Harvest 5, the starting saferoom is in a train car, at the end of a bridge. On both sides of the car are cliff edges, and survivors can fall off and die. Before anyone opened the door, I said "hey guys, I know a shortcut, follow me." I walked out and did a hard right turn, then jumped off the cliff (so I wouldn't catch on the side and be rescuable.) One person fell and hung from the edge, and the other two were caught by hunters.

I think we got 8 points for the round.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Oh the Xbox Live hilarium that would ensue.

Now to find a killhouse map with friendly fire enabled......

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Raiche posted:

I played Achaea for a long time, but I was one of the designers for Imperian. It's Achaea with a Magic vs Nonmagic theme... except I think they forgot that and became a bit more Demons vs Everyone Else. It was pretty awesome at first, though!

Like most MMO's, in MUDs what you own is a pretty big deal. People are especially fond of their armour or weapons in IRE games like these, because the stats generated by them are largely random (within upper/lower bounds). Some fighters could claim skill sheerly by their equipment. I recall a Christmas event in Achaea where they handed out candy canes that could be sharpened... some staffer didn't notice that their speed was at 255 (max), and I and some friends caused quite a bit of trouble using them. Damage on them was 1, but for classes that didn't use damage to win, skills with 3 second balance (cooldown) became about .3 seconds. Fun PKing was had.

Anyways, the forging system was obviously boring. You hammered away over and over and got an item within some range of stats. If you didn't like it, you got materials and tried again. Boring! My last major effort there was to completely revamp the system, using good statistics and allowing for more variability. The idea was a mixture of ores for different results, malleability, etc etc. Whatever, the point was I needed to utterly revamp the Forging system and replace it with Smithing. I was told by the Boss and Coding head that anything related to the old system needed to go, and that my new system could come in on top, but it'd really be about a RL year before the new stuff would start to overrun the old stuff.

See where I'm going? They wanted me to wait for all old stuff to be shuffled out of the system over about a year IRL, and to maybe freeze the current system and wait. Hell with that!

The world is Magic vs Anti-magic... and sadly, Magic usually wins. Almost all Divine supported magic users, and it was generally just a sad show for anti back then. So, I brought in a Mage. One of unheard of ability, who was a metalmage of unmatched skill. He promised the ability to harden metals and make them faster, stronger.. better. Then started passing out free upgrades to the side of Magic. I had a blast upgrading their damages and speeds to 255, the players were eating it up. They bothered this poor NPC Mage constantly, because he was essentially making them invincible.

Then he promised to do it for as many as he could at once, inventing an entirely new metal, just bring him these ingredients I made up on the spot off the top of my head! They ran wild gathering for me... huge buildup, spell charging... and bam, he failed the spell, we hit the big button. Every metal item in the game had 12 real life hours to live; rust magic devoured any metal item forged. Don't play with untested Magic, kiddies! As my Divine, since the game started, I cautioned people (I was anti). While I played with the Mage I blatantly told players to beware Mages and what could happen as my Divine. Oh well!

The next day I ran a timed event with riddles and such, and long story short players got the new system (after like 3-7 RL days without metal), but it was still a blast. There were SO many complaints and issues; everyone had lost their precious EQ and didn't know what to do! SO MUCH BETTER than waiting a RL year or so for the system to even out. It was really the first time anti-magic had a point over magic as to why they sucked.

The new system was better anyways. I put in a huge amount of effort, a new city came with it, new skills, all sorts of things... but the sum of it was that I got to EQ reset the game without telling any players what was going on. The complaints over me giving free superweapons were fun... but they didn't like the solution much.

I kind of wonder sometimes how easy it would be to grief Lusternia. It's my favorite of the IRE muds gameplay wise, but it's player base seems to be very overly serious.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

Jihad build.

I use that whenever I'm bored, though I tend to use 3x frags rather than 3x stun simply because three random grenades are much more annoying than just getting stunned. Slap on Sonic Boom, and you've got a recipe for good times.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
What I like to do is play some halo and spam the noob combo.

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round
Around the time when the Natural Selection mod for Half-Life was really taking off, I had a lot of free time to kill. Coincidentally, an online acquaintance of mine had recently rented a dedicated server and needed me to help him set up and configure a public NS classic server his clan wanted to host - I obliged, and a little bit more.

For the server's in-game administrative tasks (booting and banning players of their choice, server messages, scorekeeping features, those sorts of extras), they had me install an addon called Metamod. Metamod is basically a plugin framework for Half-Life that allows you to write extension libraries to add new features to any proprietary mod by hooking the behaviours of the base engine. Corollary to Metamod, they had me install the usual score tracking junk, the popular in-game admin feature plugins, and so forth.

I spent the afternoon developing my own metamod plugin to include with the bundle. The plugin verified my ID and allowed me exclusive access to a series of server commands I had coded with the express purpose of griefing. For me, wrecking the game for griefing's sake wasn't enough - I had to do it with some showmanship. I had spent the afternoon figuring out the different IDs and sequences to cause the more flashy particle effects used in the NS game so that when I struck, it would be gloriously theatrical.

It was a real crapshoot as to whether or not the server I had configured for these guys would ever take off, but luckily, my day did eventually come - a full house game. 32 players duking it out in an NS classic match of ns_bast, your usual fare of struggle and push warfare.

The marines lost - well, they would have lost. They were holed up in their base, fighting off (barely) wave after wave of successful aliens expecting to rightfully finally win after a good 40 minutes of intense play. Marines pleading with the commander to recycle the infantry portals (spawn points), as they were just getting mowed down by aliens one-by-one for easy stat padding.

It's go time!

Out of nowhere, my marine player model materializes in the middle of marine start in that Jesuit reference pose with the arms stuck out in a T shape. I am hovering around with an aura of blue particles flowing every which way from my origin. The "wtf" remarks begin as I peacefully zoom about like some sort of strange Half-Life 1 Messianic figure. I then start blinking around with the particle effects employed by the fade's own "blink" technique, the aliens at this point have mostly stopped their onslaught just to watch the spectacle of a marine fading around. In the next moments, I employ the next in a series of bound server commands I wrote to project lasers from my origin to the point where I'm aiming, gibbing anything in its path. I unleash this "Superman" ability on several nearby fades, skulks, and an onos before I haul out my second last parlour trick - I've bound another key to create a siege cannon-like shockwave at the point I am viewing, except about fifteen times as powerful and not just fatal to structures. The gorge encampments pinning the marines in their base are instantly eradicated and the supporting gorges along with them (I additionally zipped out and boomed two hives to play it safe). The spams of "wtf" and aliens leaving the game is getting too much at this point, though enough stay that the game continues. In my final act of divine intervention, I hover back to the main proper of the ns_bast marine start and begin spawning countless batches of HMGs, GLs, and heavy armour - the command I have written to do that spawning each individual item entity with an over-the-top phase gate phase-in particle effect and sound. I dematerialize, come back under a different name, hear an earnest show of thanks to the "marine Jesus" and watch the marines quickly stomp the few aliens with the humility to stick around after such an awesome show of outright "what. that's not even in the game"-type cheating.

I had hoped for a second pass that would have me save the aliens in a similar random losing match as some sort of Divine Cosmic Gorge, but regrettably, that evening, the game server went down for a very long maintenance period and the credentials for accessing the server shell were changed. I've yet to orchestrate such an elaborate server prank as the one I pulled on that fateful day.

:patriot:

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Shatai posted:

Around the time when the Natural Selection mod for Half-Life was really taking off, I had a lot of free time to kill. Coincidentally, an online acquaintance of mine had recently rented a dedicated server and needed me to help him set up and configure a public NS classic server his clan wanted to host - I obliged, and a little bit more.

For the server's in-game administrative tasks (booting and banning players of their choice, server messages, scorekeeping features, those sorts of extras), they had me install an addon called Metamod. Metamod is basically a plugin framework for Half-Life that allows you to write extension libraries to add new features to any proprietary mod by hooking the behaviours of the base engine. Corollary to Metamod, they had me install the usual score tracking junk, the popular in-game admin feature plugins, and so forth.

I spent the afternoon developing my own metamod plugin to include with the bundle. The plugin verified my ID and allowed me exclusive access to a series of server commands I had coded with the express purpose of griefing. For me, wrecking the game for griefing's sake wasn't enough - I had to do it with some showmanship. I had spent the afternoon figuring out the different IDs and sequences to cause the more flashy particle effects used in the NS game so that when I struck, it would be gloriously theatrical.

It was a real crapshoot as to whether or not the server I had configured for these guys would ever take off, but luckily, my day did eventually come - a full house game. 32 players duking it out in an NS classic match of ns_bast, your usual fare of struggle and push warfare.

The marines lost - well, they would have lost. They were holed up in their base, fighting off (barely) wave after wave of successful aliens expecting to rightfully finally win after a good 40 minutes of intense play. Marines pleading with the commander to recycle the infantry portals (spawn points), as they were just getting mowed down by aliens one-by-one for easy stat padding.

It's go time!

Out of nowhere, my marine player model materializes in the middle of marine start in that Jesuit reference pose with the arms stuck out in a T shape. I am hovering around with an aura of blue particles flowing every which way from my origin. The "wtf" remarks begin as I peacefully zoom about like some sort of strange Half-Life 1 Messianic figure. I then start blinking around with the particle effects employed by the fade's own "blink" technique, the aliens at this point have mostly stopped their onslaught just to watch the spectacle of a marine fading around. In the next moments, I employ the next in a series of bound server commands I wrote to project lasers from my origin to the point where I'm aiming, gibbing anything in its path. I unleash this "Superman" ability on several nearby fades, skulks, and an onos before I haul out my second last parlour trick - I've bound another key to create a siege cannon-like shockwave at the point I am viewing, except about fifteen times as powerful and not just fatal to structures. The gorge encampments pinning the marines in their base are instantly eradicated and the supporting gorges along with them (I additionally zipped out and boomed two hives to play it safe). The spams of "wtf" and aliens leaving the game is getting too much at this point, though enough stay that the game continues. In my final act of divine intervention, I hover back to the main proper of the ns_bast marine start and begin spawning countless batches of HMGs, GLs, and heavy armour - the command I have written to do that spawning each individual item entity with an over-the-top phase gate phase-in particle effect and sound. I dematerialize, come back under a different name, hear an earnest show of thanks to the "marine Jesus" and watch the marines quickly stomp the few aliens with the humility to stick around after such an awesome show of outright "what. that's not even in the game"-type cheating.

I had hoped for a second pass that would have me save the aliens in a similar random losing match as some sort of Divine Cosmic Gorge, but regrettably, that evening, the game server went down for a very long maintenance period and the credentials for accessing the server shell were changed. I've yet to orchestrate such an elaborate server prank as the one I pulled on that fateful day.

That's really great. I never played that version of HL, but from what my imagination can make of it, I'm laughing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boba_Fettish posted:

That's really great. I never played that version of HL, but from what my imagination can make of it, I'm laughing.

I've never even played Half-Life and that was amazing.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Shatai posted:

Haha, goddamn. I play Tremulous and I can imagine this happening.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is why admins make the best griefers.
I bet with sufficient hype you could just make your own server for TF2 or whatever game strikes your fancy and grief the hell out of them without them realizing who's behind it.
Bonus points if you get them to wildly accuse one another.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shatai posted:

Goddamn, I lost it at "Jesuit reference pose". Kudos to some amazingly creative griefing.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

Tanith posted:

Haha, goddamn. I play Tremulous and I can imagine this happening.

Speaking of this, holy hell I hope NS:Source can get released sometimes. I honestly forgot all about it and was convinced it was dead for good until I just checked their website. That game was loving AMAZING.

Of course, the grief potential was amazing too, especially on the marines side. Despawning your command chair as the marine commander was always great for a laugh, since it effectively handed over the match. There was some glitch where if you stacked on top of it just right it disappeared completely. They probably patched it later, but when I played you could not create another chair at all, ever. And the chair was needed to build or upgrade ANYTHING, so basically the marines were stuck with their starting armor and machine gun, and could not acquire any more health or ammo whatsoever, or even repair their existing structures. Usually this grief would be done 30 seconds into a match so there was nothing built anyway.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
After reading this, I broke out BF:1942 again and started loading up APCs and Jeeps with Dynamite and driving like a madman all over the map, which is pure awesome, but it doesn't match my best Griefing experience ever.

America's Army was the worst game to grief in, just because if you did kill a team-mate, you'd end up in a prison cell. Still, it was fun to flashbang people and have them run off a cliff or something, or hold a Grenade and hang out next to people until you got shot and dropped it. But my best one was this one game on the CSAR mission. For whatever reason, my whole team ran off to the right from the start point and through that building. I was last in line, but I had the RPG and the moment I was able to fire, I did. In front of me were probably 10 people crowded in a doorway and I got whisked off to jail the moment I touched the mouse button. I didn't even get to see the RPG animation, but I know I must have killed off almost all of them, which really, is more awesome than if I'd gotten to see it, because it was so instantaneous, I know I must have gotten all of them.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

SolidKZ posted:

After reading this, I broke out BF:1942 again and started loading up APCs and Jeeps with Dynamite and driving like a madman all over the map, which is pure awesome, but it doesn't match my best Griefing experience ever.

America's Army was the worst game to grief in, just because if you did kill a team-mate, you'd end up in a prison cell. Still, it was fun to flashbang people and have them run off a cliff or something, or hold a Grenade and hang out next to people until you got shot and dropped it. But my best one was this one game on the CSAR mission. For whatever reason, my whole team ran off to the right from the start point and through that building. I was last in line, but I had the RPG and the moment I was able to fire, I did. In front of me were probably 10 people crowded in a doorway and I got whisked off to jail the moment I touched the mouse button. I didn't even get to see the RPG animation, but I know I must have killed off almost all of them, which really, is more awesome than if I'd gotten to see it, because it was so instantaneous, I know I must have gotten all of them.

I'd laugh if the game just prevented you from firing the rocket and sent you to jail for simply trying to

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Popehoist posted:

I'd laugh if the game just prevented you from firing the rocket and sent you to jail for simply trying to

Well if it didn't, it still took away points for killing friendlies, since my honor level dropped two points after that.

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
In the early days of TFC there was a glitch where you could join a player-hosted server and execute commands in the host's console by typing them in quotes in your own console. There was no way for the host to tell why it was happening or who was doing it. I had a lot of fun with that with admins who were power tripping.

"name i_am_a_dumbass" was always a classic. But if you really wanted to get creative, you could mess with their binds and game settings. "bind a +moveright" and "bind d +moveleft" were good. Or you could let them prime their grenades, but not let them actually throw them. If they were really big assholes there was always "fps_max 10", "unbindall", or just plain "quit" (which would, of course, take down the server). You could also change the rcon password from their console and start executing server commands, like changing the map or kicking people. There really was no limit to what you could do. I have no idea why this worked or how they could have let it slip through, but it was awesome while it lasted. The best part was that for a long time it was a pretty well-kept secret. Not many people knew how to do it or that it could even be done.

Kazanski fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 16, 2009

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I've never griefed much, but did a little in Red Alert 2.

Basically in a 4 player or more game I would:

- Build a bunch of Lybian Demo Trucks
- Ally with another player (means their base defenses won't attack me)
- Park the trucks next to their nuke power plants
- Break the alliance
- Player's base defenses attack the trucks
- Trucks explode and take the nuke plants with them
- Game over for that player in a split second

The humor of it is that it is less than obvious what happened. There is a small chat log which mentions that an alliance is broken, but it pales to a whole base detonating at once.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I keep unintentionally griefing in Left 4 Dead. The game / players isn't very kind to noobs, heh. I just picked up the game about a week ago.

Take this last game for example..

Playing No Mercy versus, happen to be on zombie side. Its the part of the level where you're rushing to the elevator.

Apparently I'm sucking so badly as a zombie that my team all ragequits, which I didn't even notice because I'm busy loving around at the end of the level (why not). The other team asks if I want to wait for new players or just keep going. By this point, I'm camped out as a smoker right next to a witch, so I say keep going. They come through the door by the staircase where the witch is waiting, and I pounce, die, whatever; not unexpected. They make their way to the elevator, and no new players join. Its 4 on 1, so I'm respawning fairly quickly. I run and get on top of the elevator, explode on them as they reach the under-construction part, they survive a horde. It spawns me as a tank. I run towards the end of the map, and then run back towards them. I incap one person with a generator, throw another two off the building, then chase the last guy around the elevator for a minute or so before I notice that they've all quit as well, but not before leaving a screenfull of expletives.

What did I do?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

optikalus posted:

I keep unintentionally griefing in Left 4 Dead. The game / players isn't very kind to noobs, heh. I just picked up the game about a week ago.

Take this last game for example..

Playing No Mercy versus, happen to be on zombie side. Its the part of the level where you're rushing to the elevator.

Apparently I'm sucking so badly as a zombie that my team all ragequits, which I didn't even notice because I'm busy loving around at the end of the level (why not). The other team asks if I want to wait for new players or just keep going. By this point, I'm camped out as a smoker right next to a witch, so I say keep going. They come through the door by the staircase where the witch is waiting, and I pounce, die, whatever; not unexpected. They make their way to the elevator, and no new players join. Its 4 on 1, so I'm respawning fairly quickly. I run and get on top of the elevator, explode on them as they reach the under-construction part, they survive a horde. It spawns me as a tank. I run towards the end of the map, and then run back towards them. I incap one person with a generator, throw another two off the building, then chase the last guy around the elevator for a minute or so before I notice that they've all quit as well, but not before leaving a screenfull of expletives.

What did I do?

Mainly? Humiliated them.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

SolidKZ posted:

Speaking of monstrous/slightly epic tks, I've done similar things in Day of Defeat, HL1 edition. In Dod:Source grenades are pretty powerful but in the original game they were loving monstrous. Being even on the outskirts of the blast radius still just about killed most people it hit. The best thing is they were still subject to wonky HL1 physics, which results in things like grenades rolling UPHILL once they're thrown at the ground, etc. Anyone familiar with avalanche knows what I mean when I refer to the long uphill route out of Allied spawn. At the very start of a round when everyone has spawned at once on a large server it was normal to see 10 people all grouped up at the top of that hill. Cooking a grenade for a second or two and then rolling it uphill right into the middle of everyone resulted in at least 6 tks in my console before the auto-kick function occured, and more likely about 10 total since I couldn't see them all. I can only imagine the shitstorm that followed whenever I did that, shame I couldn't hear it.

I miss the RTCW demo too, that was way too much fun. I'm almost convinced they released it in the state it was so they could determine what counter-griefing measures were needed. The second allied spawn on the beach map was awesome because everyone was grouped up into this little bunker. There used to be no "push" function at this early stage of the game so you could easily block the way out of your spawn, which if it was an enclosed room would result in 10+ guys all clustered up spamming "MOVE! MOVE!" before being cut off by your Panzerfaust obliterating the entire team. It was even better when the Axis caught wind of what you were doing, and shot their own Panzerfaust into spawn because that actually seemed to get people worked up even MORE than the tk.

And then there was the classic medic strategy of killing your teammate, reviving him, and then before he could even react teamkilling him again. This would stick them in an endless loop where they couldn't "release" and respawn but they couldn't run away from you either, effectively shutting them down entirely. Of course you could argue this kept you from doing anything either, but that's not important next to the sight of some guy briefly standing up and desperately trying to run away while being gunned down repeatedly and shouting "Medic! Medic! Medic!" over and over.

CaptainStag fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 22, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The tanks have the "Must Attack" clause, so almost everyone just bum-rushes with them. So people never see a Tank anywhere but where it spawns, and when someone wanders to a different location, it leaves longtime players with the feeling that something's wrong.

Congrats, you totally outsmarted them! Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

CaptainStag posted:

I miss the RTCW demo too, that was way too much fun. I'm almost convinced they released it in the state it was so they could determine what counter-griefing measures were needed.

If that was the case, then they did a pretty bad job of fixing griefing. The retail release was full of things to do.

• Locked thread