Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

God drat, you run a taller tire on the front than I run on the rear :(

You can check http://www.swmototires.com/ and ebay. You may be able to find some cheap takeoffs via ebay. You may also have some luck talking to your local dealership, usually they have a big stack of old tires sitting out back.

Edit: Fixing URL.

PlasticSun posted:

http://www.swmototires.com/ this guy is great he's a fast shipper and has some of the best prices on tires I've seen.

Yeah, those are drat good prices. A little cheaper than the cheapest place I could find on a random google search, but I know absolutely nothing about that place, so it's good to order from a reputable source. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Nothing so far, runs fine from what I can tell. Might have a bit of a stumble but very minor off idle. I just figure if there was something I could do short of tearing down the carbs that would be nice. I will have the float bowls off when I replace the orings sometime in the future, but I really dont want to go further than that.

In that case, it may not have any real issues. I'd say do the valves (if they're not self-adjusting), sync the carbs, and see if things run well from there. You might do well to check spark plugs and the air filter to ensure those aren't old and causing issues (intermittent spark, clogged filter).

Seafoam in the tank certainly won't hurt. And it's like $3 a bottle, so go to town.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I wouldn't be super worried about the sparkplugs/filter. The syncing won't hurt though; I found my bike was really irritable at low revs until I sync'd the carbs, at which point it was a lot better. Also, if the bike is cold, it won't like idling much without the choke.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 26, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

God-damned Pilates posted:

In that case, it may not have any real issues. I'd say do the valves (if they're not self-adjusting), sync the carbs, and see if things run well from there. You might do well to check spark plugs and the air filter to ensure those aren't old and causing issues (intermittent spark, clogged filter).

Seafoam in the tank certainly won't hurt. And it's like $3 a bottle, so go to town.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I wouldn't be super worried about the sparkplugs/filter. The syncing won't hurt though; I found my bike was really irritable at low revs until I sync'd the carbs, at which point it was a lot better. Also, if the bike is cold, it won't like idling much without the choke.

I really dont want to dive into the valves unless I absolutely have to. The clearances around the engine is tight on the zx600 with the i4 engine, making the adjustment a bitch. Air filter is brand new and I have spark plugs ready to go in. the current plugs look good so I am not worried about swapping them right now. I havent picked up flow meter yet to sync the carbs, so until I get one I dont want to mess things up with any adjustments.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Dubs posted:

DRZ-E cables work better i think, i think i might have read it on thumpertank, ask there they live and breathe Derzas.

Bummer, I didn't want to buy anything else. I've been looking a lot lately for used FCR carbs but nothing lately. If I can't find something soon I'll have to buy a new one. I'm hoping to hit my first track day of the year on April 4 at Grattan.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

I really dont want to dive into the valves unless I absolutely have to. The clearances around the engine is tight on the zx600 with the i4 engine, making the adjustment a bitch. Air filter is brand new and I have spark plugs ready to go in. the current plugs look good so I am not worried about swapping them right now. I havent picked up flow meter yet to sync the carbs, so until I get one I dont want to mess things up with any adjustments.

Oh definitely. All you can do without tools is make the adjustment worse.

Give seafoam a shot; in the worst case scenario, you end up exactly where you are now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Seafoam is amazing. It can be a bit hard to find. Check their website for dealers. It cost me like $5-6 a can though?

I heard it also cures cancer.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Bummer, I didn't want to buy anything else. I've been looking a lot lately for used FCR carbs but nothing lately. If I can't find something soon I'll have to buy a new one. I'm hoping to hit my first track day of the year on April 4 at Grattan.

My bike is fine without replacing the cables, it just has a bit more play than I would like. I've been riding it around with the OEMs the last couple days. As far as finding a new FCR, good luck, the waiting list for the TT kit is something like 3 months.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Christoff posted:

I heard it also causes cancer.

Fixed that one for ya.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

I heard it also cures the cancer it gives you.

better fix ;)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Why is everyone obsessed with Seafoam? Carb cleaner's just as cheap ($3) and you have the added benefit of not wasting money if it doesn't take care of your carb issues. Cleaning carbs is super easy.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

kdc67 posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with Seafoam? Carb cleaner's just as cheap ($3) and you have the added benefit of not wasting money if it doesn't take care of your carb issues. Cleaning carbs is super easy.

I agree that most problems are better solved by taking the carbs off and cleaning them, but then you have to take the carbs off and clean them. Some bikes are easier to do this on than others, and for a lot of folks, taking carbs off is just a massive pain in the neck. If you can fix the problem with a can in the gas tank, why not? And again, for a couple of bucks, it's not like you've just lost a paycheck if it doesn't work.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Would it be a problem if I used an inline oil filter as a fuel filter?

I bought what I thought was an inline fuel filter but the description says oil/all on it. I know it's a stupid question, but hey, it could be important.

The reason I'm using an inline fuel filter is because the petcock I used to replace my broken one doesn't have any filters on the intake.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Some bikes are easier to do this on than others..

That's true, but some a lot of people seem to just go, "OH GOD CARBS!! WHAT DO I DO??? I have to take them APART?" Cleaning them isn't that complicated. It'll all be ok, people.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

kdc67 posted:

That's true, but some a lot of people seem to just go, "OH GOD CARBS!! WHAT DO I DO??? I have to take them APART?" Cleaning them isn't that complicated. It'll all be ok, people.

I agree that it's easier to clean them than a lot of people make it, but drat if taking them out of my CB for the first (and second, and third) time wasn't the most annoying headache in the world.

I have a system now, so it takes like five minutes, but I can totally see why people would avoid removing carbs whenever possible. And for something like a really small idling issue, seafoam may very well clean out the tiny bit of whatever that's causing issues. If his bike were not starting/idling at all, I'd go with "just clean 'em," but it sounds more like an incredibly minor problem that might be resolved with an incredibly minor solution. :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrZig posted:

Would it be a problem if I used an inline oil filter as a fuel filter?

I bought what I thought was an inline fuel filter but the description says oil/all on it. I know it's a stupid question, but hey, it could be important.

The reason I'm using an inline fuel filter is because the petcock I used to replace my broken one doesn't have any filters on the intake.
right away? no. Would I suggest it? No. Your carbs have filters in them already. Your petcock is supposed to have a filter on top of it, and unless you threw it away, it's still there.

It's a waste of time, and a good way to ensure you'll run into fuel flow problems. The failure mode from "having to many filters" is either the bike losing power at the worst time posable, or holeing a piston.

I'd go with "just clean 'em," but it sounds more like an incredibly minor problem that might be resolved with an incredibly minor solution. :)
There's another problem on top of that. If your motor is having trouble with one circuit or another, you'll ride around that circuit. Meaning you're running most of your fuel through the circuits that are already clean.

And if they're really clogged. NO fuel goes through them. So you've just wasted a week riding around on a bike that stutters, and drives poorly becuase you didn't want to spend half an hour cleaning your carbs.

It's a losing situation. Always.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sorry, I disagree. It's 3$ to pick up a bottle, which is pocket change, you dump a small amount into your gas tank, and if it cleans things up nicely, awesome, you just saved yourself an hour of work, and if it doesn't fix things, well, you wasted 5 minutes and 3$. If the bike's just got a small hesitation, then it seems to fix things more often than not.

I prefer riding to wrenching, though, so that may have something to do with it. :xd:

I know that experienced mechanics can do the carbs on a bike they know well in a under an hour (gently caress, I got to the point where I could do jets and needle adjustments on my E in under 20 minutes), but for normal people, it's a 1-3 hour process. If you can avoid that for 3$ and 5 minutes, then that's 1-3 hours you could have been riding instead.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 27, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

right away? no. Would I suggest it? No. Your carbs have filters in them already. Your petcock is supposed to have a filter on top of it, and unless you threw it away, it's still there.

It's a waste of time, and a good way to ensure you'll run into fuel flow problems. The failure mode from "having to many filters" is either the bike losing power at the worst time posable, or holeing a piston.
There's another problem on top of that. If your motor is having trouble with one circuit or another, you'll ride around that circuit. Meaning you're running most of your fuel through the circuits that are already clean.

And if they're really clogged. NO fuel goes through them. So you've just wasted a week riding around on a bike that stutters, and drives poorly becuase you didn't want to spend half an hour cleaning your carbs.

It's a losing situation. Always.

Uh huh. SOME of us would have 6 loving carbs to dissasemble, clean, and synch. If I were to do something first, it would be dump seafoam in it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Christoff posted:

Seafoam is amazing. It can be a bit hard to find. Check their website for dealers. It cost me like $5-6 a can though?

I heard it also cures cancer.

My local Wal-Mart carries Seafoam... not that hard to find :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How do I reconnect a battery to a motorcycle properly?

Do I attach negative and then positive or positive and then negative?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I attach positive first since my metal wrench knocks the frame and I dont want to short anything out. When removing the battery negative comes off first for the same reason.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

My petcock does not have a filter on top of it, like I previously said...

I put a spare petcock in that was laying around and it had no filter. Thus I picked up an inline filter, it just says oil on it. I was wondering if that would cause a problem with flow at all?

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Reconnect the positive first.

efb, and in greater detail.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

My petcock does not have a filter on top of it, like I previously said...

Without a whole lot more information, I really couldn't say. Your carbs both have filters IN them. I wouldn't worry about putting a filter on the carbs. None of my bikes have filters on their carbs. One or two of them used to, but after fixing problems by removing them, I'm going to take the risk at a leaky float valve over not enough fuel.

OEM's don't fit inline filters. You shouldn't either. :-)

Z3n posted:

Sorry, I disagree.

As if you ever ride a bike in a way that the pilot circuit matters. I could plug you pilots with epoxy and you'd never notice.

Doctor Zero posted:

Uh huh. SOME of us would have 6 loving carbs to dissasemble, clean, and synch. If I were to do something first, it would be dump seafoam in it.
Honda Valkyrie? Cleaning the carbs should not alter your sync, or require disassembly beyond pulling the float bowls. I can't think of a single example where that's untrue.

The "other" problem with doing the chemical method, is we get people whining about "I used carb cleaner, and it didn't work." It's not a diagnositc method. Nor is it likely to actually fix anything. I'd definitely approve of using carb cleaner as a prophylactic measure. I do it on my cars at every oil change.

I'll admit to having put carb/fuel/injector cleaner in my 83 a couple times. Bike went from not able to idle, to able to idle. But it was unstable. The bike didn't behave right until I actually cleaned the pilot circuits.

I tend to like to have the problem fixed. Now. Rather than waiting for 1-500 miles of riding to maybe clean whatever fuel system problem I'm having.

To add to the question, why aren't you riding your bike enough to keep fresh fuel in the carbs?

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 27, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Nerobro posted:

To add to the question, why aren't you riding your bike enough to keep fresh fuel in the carbs?

Since I started it, I just got the bike. Rode it for about 30-40 miles before snow hit, and it sat for 2-3 months. I don't know how it was treated before I bought it beyond the chain that looked like it was being lubed by road dirt.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

Without a whole lot more information, I really couldn't say. Your carbs both have filters IN them. I wouldn't worry about putting a filter on the carbs. None of my bikes have filters on their carbs. One or two of them used to, but after fixing problems by removing them, I'm going to take the risk at a leaky float valve over not enough fuel.

OEM's don't fit inline filters. You shouldn't either. :-)

So even without a filter in the tank, you're saying I shouldn't run an inline filter?

This is the one I got for 3 bux: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/polarisfuelandoilfilter2530009.aspx

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Z3n posted:

E-mailed, but...it didn't seem to work?

paybara [at] gmail [dot] com

Too cold to do work on the bike today. WHY THE CHRIST DID IT SNOW AGAIN? :confused:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

paybara [at] gmail [dot] com

Too cold to do work on the bike today. WHY THE CHRIST DID IT SNOW AGAIN? :confused:

gently caress, here in the Okanagan we got half a foot in the past two nights, and I spent 3 hours working on my bike at -9. It's hard working when your hands don't do what you want them to do!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

Honda Valkyrie? Cleaning the carbs should not alter your sync, or require disassembly beyond pulling the float bowls. I can't think of a single example where that's untrue.

Yeah. Okay, I admit I was being pedantic, and I appreciate where you're coming from, but it's still one of those "So easy, why the hell not" things to me.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Did anybody get sore wrists from riding the first couple of days? It's like snowboarding for the first time of the season. Where you're sore all over, except it's just my left wrist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, you build up muscles after a couple of weeks that make riding easier. Its not necessarily a natural position or action for the body, so it uses some odd muscles.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

MrZig posted:

So even without a filter in the tank, you're saying I shouldn't run an inline filter?

This is the one I got for 3 bux: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/polarisfuelandoilfilter2530009.aspx

Every time I've ever tried to use an inline filter I ended up "running out of gas" even though the tank was over 1/4 full. Gravity doesn't seem to be enough to push that last gallon or so through a filter.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Bugdrvr posted:

Every time I've ever tried to use an inline filter I ended up "running out of gas" even though the tank was over 1/4 full. Gravity doesn't seem to be enough to push that last gallon or so through a filter.

If I could find a wire mesh filter inside a metal body I think that would be the perfect route. Basically what's in the fuel tank except inline.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most of the ones you see in the lawnmower section are usually just a fine screen not a paper filter. I bet that would work fine. Just be watchful once you get around the reserve level of fuel. Mine, which still has an inline filter installed because I have been too lazy to remove it, died during rush hour on an onramp for the 8 the other day. That was a blast.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

EvilCrayon posted:

Did anybody get sore wrists from riding the first couple of days? It's like snowboarding for the first time of the season. Where you're sore all over, except it's just my left wrist.
when i first did rode (i also had a bent handlebar) i did something to my throttle wrist so painful i couldn't really ride for a couple weeks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

That's exactly what i'm saying.

EvilCrayon posted:

My inner thighs get sore. At least if I don't ride for a few months. I ride a standard, so the wind keeps the load off my wrists.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Nothing so far, runs fine from what I can tell. Might have a bit of a stumble but very minor off idle. I just figure if there was something I could do short of tearing down the carbs that would be nice. I will have the float bowls off when I replace the orings sometime in the future, but I really dont want to go further than that.

I had an off-idle stumble that I was chasing for months. After doing the valves, cleaning the carbs and mouse button hovering over "add coils to basket" it turned out to be the airbox. I was missing a rubber snorkel that sits on top of it and that caused some air resonance wizardry and starved the engine of charge in a very specific rev range.

One thing you can use to diagnose this is to see if it's rev or throttle dependent. If the stumble is between X and Y rev, does it stay the same regardless of using 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4+ throttle? If the throttle position moves it up and down the rev range it would indicate a carb problem, if it stays in the same range regardless of throttle it indicates charge delivery issues which could be intake or valve issues.

It's not hard to check for air leaks and it's even easier to compare your bike to the manual and see if the intake is modified somehow. Doing valve clearance is regular maintenance though and you should man up and do it. :colbert: But not without a good manual, a weekend of googling, the right tools and decent time. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe I should ask this in one of the tech forums, but I'm wondering about a Bluetooth intercom. The most popular ones seem to be the opposite of what I want, i.e. they are headset units that mate up with a phone or some other hub. But since most people already have bluetooth phones with handsfree headsets. Is there any way to talk between two phones using a cheap go-between? Apart from calling eachother I mean? :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

Doing valve clearance is regular maintenance though and you should man up and do it. :colbert: But not without a good manual, a weekend of googling, the right tools and decent time. :)

Yea I am looking around for a proper factory manual before I tackle the valves. I still only have about 1/4 of my tools with the rest being at my parents house still :(. I am making due with a cheap channel lock tool kit but I really really need to get my proper garage setup again before I do engine work. I miss my snap-on bent feelers :unsmith:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Ola posted:

Maybe I should ask this in one of the tech forums, but I'm wondering about a Bluetooth intercom. The most popular ones seem to be the opposite of what I want, i.e. they are headset units that mate up with a phone or some other hub. But since most people already have bluetooth phones with handsfree headsets. Is there any way to talk between two phones using a cheap go-between? Apart from calling eachother I mean? :v:

When you say intercom do you mean between two people on two bikes or between two people on the same bike? From what I remember, it seems that pillion to rider communication is actually best done with good old-fashioned wires, there seems to be less to go wrong.

You can get intercoms that use bluetooth headsets, some of them just use the headset to link to a radio on each bike, which then uses radio waves to communicate with each other, but I've seen others that use the bluetooth to link intercoms to each other. I have definitely seen at least one system that only uses one intercom box per set of bluetooth headphones. Basically, you each link your headphone to the same box, one rider carries it and it chats that way. Does seem to make more sense in terms of less hassle, less to keep track of and less to set-up. Obviously it's downside is that if you're riding in a group of 3 and the guy with the intercom box decides to run off, the other two are left to go back to slightly obscure and meaningless hand guestures.

Everytime I come across this topic, I remain convinced that there ought to be a way to just link a bluetooth headset to another one and communicate that way without any extraneous equipment, but I've been told it's impossible. My heart remains pure however, and I still cling on to hope that this can happen.

Out of interest, what's the general battery life on bluetooth headsets and how are they normally charged? I've not used them (my phone is ancient) but it does seem like a ready-made solution to the intercom problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rider to pillion. Each one has their own cellphone with the handsfree set (wire to earplugs) that came with the phone. Phone gets paired to some device, talky talky ensues. All I can find being sold is bluetooth headsets, I don't need that.

This would work bike to bike as well, but obviously limited by bluetooth range.

But I don't think it can be done. :( Even if the phone is perfectly capable of sending and receiving bluetooth data and perfectly capable of handling talky talky, it doesn't do both to another device. Just internal phone functions to headset.