Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Just got to work and don't have any resources with me.

Ridden a bike now for a cumulative time of about 6 months, a YZF600R.

I was out on Saturday and on the way back it started revving instantly high after switching up to 3/4/5 after applying even a small amount of throttle, way higher than normal. This was while I was on my way home and I was too tired to check about it when I got in.

It's still doing it at the minute. When I had the bike in for a service last year I mentioned to the guy that it felt a bit like an on/off switch, loads of play and then a miniscule amount of lever action to engage it. Time for a new clutch cable? Or maybe just an oil change?

I can't actually pinpoint what I think it is. The clutch cable slackening and needing replacing would have the opposite effect, as in, applying earlier instead of a delay.

What happens is I'll pull away and first and second are fine. I'll switch up into third and it will accellerate normally and then suddenly jump up 3-4k but with no increase in actual power, which says to me that the clutch plates are slipping, almost like I'm bringing the clutch in. I'll come off the throttle and roll it back on and it'll be just fine.

kcer fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Definitely sounds like a slipping clutch. I don't think an oil change is going to get you out of this one.

You didn't put full synthetic in, did you?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Haha no I can't imagine so. This only flared up on Saturday, never had it before. Its last oil change was just before I bought it and if I stick to the milage recommendation I've still got a bit of time before it needs another change.

I probably shouldn't be riding it atm either, right?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Could be the clutch, it could be the oil that the PO used, and it could be a clutch cable adjustment. Since you mentioned the engagement point is right at the end of beginning of the clutch pull I would think that is what is causing you problems. Your lever isn't fully disengaging the clutch when you let it out. Normally there are two places you can adjust the clutch cable, at the lever and at the other end of the cable, often times inside the flywheel cover. I'd look into how to adjust the flywheel end of the cable, as I had a bike that was doing virtually the same thing for me. It seemed that the flywheel side adjustment helped me move the engagement point back further in the clutch pull.

I would never trust a POs given oil change date, and it might be worth it to go ahead and change the oil just to rule that out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My bike is covered in 6" of snow without a cover. This isn't going to hurt anything is it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

My bike is covered in 6" of snow without a cover. This isn't going to hurt anything is it?

Apart from surface rust and maybe some water here and there, not really. But why would you leave a defenseless child out in the snow like that? :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The snow wont hurt anything. The water will though when the snow melts.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
I have a 1981 Yamaha xs650 that runs well, but has some electrical trouble. It doesn't charge the battery while riding. A guy near me is selling an 1978 Yamaha xs750 for next to nothing. Can I use parts from the '78 on the '81 to fix the problem? Thanks for the help!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Dobutful. And define "next to nothing". Fixing a charging system is a sub $200 fix as it stands. On the expensive side. Typically I can get bikes charging again for under $50.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ola posted:

Apart from surface rust and maybe some water here and there, not really. But why would you leave a defenseless child out in the snow like that? :(

Some of us are horrible parents.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Dobutful. And define "next to nothing". Fixing a charging system is a sub $200 fix as it stands. On the expensive side. Typically I can get bikes charging again for under $50.

I've tried a whole lot of different things when it comes to the charging system. He wants 400 for it, I haven't seen it yet and don't have pictures yet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

hoho`win posted:

I've tried a whole lot of different things when it comes to the charging system.

What have you done? The charging system is pretty much a stator, a rectifier, and some wires.

Oh, well, and a battery. :)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Some of us are horrible parents.

I just tell social services that it builds character.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Has anyone done much riding in the NoVA/DC area? I might be moving to Arlington/Alexandria, and wondering how conducive to motorbike or moped the area is. Wasn't planning on using the Interstate unless I'm going to a different city, so just surface-street traffic.

Aside from the motorbike issue, curious if it's impossible to get around with a moped. One poster in the Tourism subforum mentioned that the folks he knows with scooters/mopeds don't leave their basic neighborhood with them because even on surface streets traffic is bad, and you can't park mopeds bicycle-style in DC and thus have to pay for street parking anyway. Confirm/deny?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

and you can't park mopeds bicycle-style in DC and thus have to pay for street parking anyway. Confirm/deny?

Aren't those things as big as a BMX bike and weigh about 5 pounds? Why in the world would you want to leave on on the street?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

Aren't those things as big as a BMX bike and weigh about 5 pounds? Why in the world would you want to leave on on the street?

Yeah, why not wheelie into the office and stoppie at your desk! :awesome:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Uthor posted:

Because you can't take it into a pub?

(plus closer to 100lbs. Motorised bicycles are around 60, but mopeds weigh a good Natalie Portman or more)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Because you can't take it into a pub?

(plus closer to 100lbs. Motorised bicycles are around 60, but mopeds weigh a good Natalie Portman or more)

No, I meant why would the government even think street parking a moped would a good idea versus letting you park on a sidewalk and chaining it up. I didn't mean why you would want to leave it outside.

I hate parking my motorcycle in some places because I know the day will come when someone will knock it over. With a moped, it'd be knocked and driven over before Soccer Mom even notices a thing.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

PlasticSun posted:

I just tell social services that it builds character.

Is that a Dakar?

Those things require inclement weather and abuse as part of their regular scheduled maintenance.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

OrangeFurious posted:

Is that a Dakar?

Those things require inclement weather and abuse as part of their regular scheduled maintenance.

Yeah it's a Dakar, and I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter :)

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

PlasticSun posted:

Yeah it's a Dakar, and I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter :)

There's one I see on the freeway 'round here every so often. It looks factory perfect without even a spec of dust on it. It just makes me sad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OrangeFurious posted:

There's one I see on the freeway 'round here every so often. It looks factory perfect without even a spec of dust on it. It just makes me sad.

I had to laugh when someone had a desmosedici at the track and looked over at me and was like "I bet you hate the idea of that being on the track, huh...". No, the track is where it belongs. I sat and grinned like an idiot listening to it go by.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I just bought a 2001 SV650s, in blue, with 8,500 miles on it. I love it to death, but it's got one blemish; the PO put on some sort of fake carbon fiber tank pad on the front of the tank (in front of the gas cap). This has begun to peel off and underneath is...

...nasty. I'd call is adhesive residue, but this isn't your standard sticky grime. This is caked-on, multicolored, thick, hardened stuff. Does anybody have any tips on getting this crap off? I've tried WD-40 already, as was the suggestion of a few of my friends. The WD-40 was so ineffective that I swear I heard the goop laugh. Dab a rag in some paint thinner and scrub away, maybe?

I'll post pictures of it when it's light outside tomorrow.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

TheUltimateCool posted:

I just bought a 2001 SV650s, in blue, with 8,500 miles on it. I love it to death, but it's got one blemish; the PO put on some sort of fake carbon fiber tank pad on the front of the tank (in front of the gas cap). This has begun to peel off and underneath is...

...nasty. I'd call is adhesive residue, but this isn't your standard sticky grime. This is caked-on, multicolored, thick, hardened stuff. Does anybody have any tips on getting this crap off? I've tried WD-40 already, as was the suggestion of a few of my friends. The WD-40 was so ineffective that I swear I heard the goop laugh. Dab a rag in some paint thinner and scrub away, maybe?

I'll post pictures of it when it's light outside tomorrow.

Have you tried Goo Gone? I haven't found anything Goo Gone and muscle couldn't take off. On the plus side, your tank will smell like oranges.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

OrangeFurious posted:

Goo Gone

This will work. You don't need to post pictures. This will work.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Kerosene will also probably work, however it's much more dangerous as the rags you used will be extremely flammable afterward and cannot be washed in your home washing machine. Really the only safe thing to do with them is burn them.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

`Nemesis posted:

Kerosene will also probably work, however it's much more dangerous as the rags you used will be extremely flammable afterward and cannot be washed in your home washing machine. Really the only safe thing to do with them is burn them.

Don't ever wash anything that's been near kerosene in your laundry if you don't want everything you wash afterward to smell like it forever.
I got a splash of kero on the finger of the GFs glove when I was filling the shop heater up last year and then tried to wash it. Remember, this was only a drop or two.
The washing machine never, ever, ever stopped stinking of kero. It made me really glad it was a rental and that I was moving out shortly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone done much riding in the NoVA/DC area? I might be moving to Arlington/Alexandria, and wondering how conducive to motorbike or moped the area is. Wasn't planning on using the Interstate unless I'm going to a different city, so just surface-street traffic.

Aside from the motorbike issue, curious if it's impossible to get around with a moped. One poster in the Tourism subforum mentioned that the folks he knows with scooters/mopeds don't leave their basic neighborhood with them because even on surface streets traffic is bad, and you can't park mopeds bicycle-style in DC and thus have to pay for street parking anyway. Confirm/deny?
I haven't actually ridden at all yet, but I live in Arlington. Traffic is not nice, and while I do see some scooters around, I probably wouldn't recommend it. On the plus side, no one seems to mind them being chained to the bike racks outside Metro stations.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Sweet, thanks guys. Goo Gone will be the very next thing I try, although I sort of feel like inviting the engineers at Goo Gone over to take a look at this stuff. If it pulls it off I will be thoroughly impressed.

Thanks!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheUltimateCool posted:

Sweet, thanks guys. Goo Gone will be the very next thing I try, although I sort of feel like inviting the engineers at Goo Gone over to take a look at this stuff. If it pulls it off I will be thoroughly impressed.

Thanks!

I have the same crap on my bike, goo gone works but remember to also use their patented formula elbow grease.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I need a new rear tire. My front has a decent amount of meat on them but I assume I should just change them both out?

I've heard recommendations for Metzler M3 for Front & Rear and a Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Road 2 on the back.

This is just for normal riding. Won't be going to any tracks or dropping knees really.

I also got some front/rear motorcycle stands. I assumed it's cheapest just to take the wheels off and bring them into a shop? Any advice there? Should I order the tires online? I assume the shop might give me a better overall deal if I get the tires/mounting done there. Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

So I need a new rear tire. My front has a decent amount of meat on them but I assume I should just change them both out?

I've heard recommendations for Metzler M3 for Front & Rear and a Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Road 2 on the back.

This is just for normal riding. Won't be going to any tracks or dropping knees really.

I also got some front/rear motorcycle stands. I assumed it's cheapest just to take the wheels off and bring them into a shop? Any advice there? Should I order the tires online? I assume the shop might give me a better overall deal if I get the tires/mounting done there. Thanks!

No need to change both out, mounting matching tires is prudent if you don't have a good understanding of tire types just yet, and I'd just replace the rear the same thing that's one the front. They'll both be done at the same time, and I'd move to some sort of sport touring tire at that point (PR2s would be my tire of choice).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Didn't really get many responses in the sv650 thread.

Hey dudes. Need some help.

Whenever I get my bike up to a constant 85mph, which is around 6 grand rpm, it'll go for a minute or two and then lose power all of a sudden. Then when my heart is good and racing it lets out this HUGE backfire and then goes right back to having all throttle control.

Ideas?

Seems to happen with the bike around 6grand in any gear.

Guess I should start with the spark plugs etc?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

Bike is a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (with stock LED tails)

So I went for my first ride today and while inspecting the bike at a light, I noticed that I don't have any brake lights (I know I should have checked before I left). The tails work fine but don't light up more when I brake.

Over the winter I relocated the turn signals and plate light but never touched the brake light. After loving with it more, it actually appears that the brake lights are ON all the time (but I can't verify that). I've checked the connections and they seem to be okay.

Any ideas? Could a LED bad cause the brake light to stay on all the time?

EDIT winner
VVVV

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 6, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

So I went for my first ride today and while inspecting the bike at a light, I noticed that I don't have any brake lights (I know I should have checked before I left). The tails work fine but don't light up more when I brake.

Over the winter I relocated the turn signals and plate light but never touched the brake light. After loving with it more, it actually appears that the brake lights are ON all the time (but I can't verify that). I've checked the connections and they seem to be okay.

Stab in the dark, but on my bike, I have a little adjuster on the lever for the rear brake. I can turn it in or out so the light comes on with more or less travel of the rear brake lever. I can conceivably turn it so far that the brake light is always on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

Sounds like you accidentally caught and somehow cut (crushed, whatever) the line that carries 12v to the brake light LEDs somewhere. That'd be my guess.

Pull the connectors off and jump them manually and see if the light goes on. Check the wires going into the brake light with a multimeter, what readings do you get? If you're getting 12v on both, then you need to figure out what's keeping the circuit closed, if you're getting 12v on one, and nothing on the other, even when you jump the connectors, you probably sliced the wire during installation.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

cmorrow001 posted:

BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

FIXED: My roommate suggested that since they seemed to be on all the time, a sensor was probably stuck. I checked it out and removed my rear brake sensor (connecting rod to lever) and it turned off.

I adjusted it towards the very end of the season last year so the pedal sits a bit lower, must have moved a bit when it got cold.

Thanks Uthor and Z3N

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Captain Apollo posted:

*snip*

I'd start with plugs. And pray. Something about this screams ignitior unit to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey dudes. Need some help.

Whenever I get my bike up to a constant 85mph, which is around 6 grand rpm, it'll go for a minute or two and then lose power all of a sudden. Then when my heart is good and racing it lets out this HUGE backfire and then goes right back to having all throttle control.

Ideas?

Seems to happen with the bike around 6grand in any gear.

What year SV? Carbureted or Fuel Injected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, quick question. My wife and I are looking at upgrading what we ride this summer. I've found a bike I'm interested in, that's all well and good. She's found one she may really like, but she doesn't have the same fascination with hugely loud bikes that many riders do. The previous owner of the bike has "Vance and Hines Straight shot pipes," which I guess are fairly loud? I don't know poo poo about this stuff. Would the gods be deeply offended if we were to put something a little more stock on, and if we do, what's it going to set us back? What are the chances of swapping the parts with another bike? I seriously have no idea on any of this stuff. I'd love to learn more, but time is always the issue. Anyhow, fill me in here.

Oh, and the bike she's looking at is a shadow spirit 750. Actually, here, I'll just post the craigslist ad. What you see there is all we currently know about the bike: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1062529414.html