Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm thinking about getting this as my second bike: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1061270786.html

Moving up from a 250, it's only a 500 so I should be ok right? Opinions anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AkrisD posted:

Speaking of the DRZ, what's everyone's consensus on the fairly new WR250X? I realize the DRZ has been around for a million years, but the specs are almost equal on both with the 250 being made with newer tech. I could never get a good reading from other boards because they were always bias towards one or the other depending on which section it was based.

Heavy and underpowered.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

shaitan posted:

Yeah, that's probably just about enough. You should probably ask Christoff, as he's the expert on bumping up from newb bikes to something more reasonable, within a very short time span. :v:

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Simkin posted:

Yeah, that's probably just about enough. You should probably ask Christoff, as he's the expert on bumping up from newb bikes to something more reasonable, within a very short time span. :v:

Think I could talk them down to 22? Seems like a fair deal.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nah, mods are sunk cost. Kbb on that bike is probably ~$6k at most, so maybe shoot him an offer for 4 and work from there.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Simkin posted:

Nah, mods are sunk cost. Kbb on that bike is probably ~$6k at most, so maybe shoot him an offer for 4 and work from there.

I agree, use the fact that the bike now looks like a really big snail with the swingarm and new tail as a bargaining tool, because snails are really slow, regardless of their turbos.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shaitan posted:

I'm thinking about getting this as my second bike: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1061270786.html

I dunno, you might get bored pretty quickly.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Z3n posted:

Nah, full custom bikes. I read an article about it years ago, it's some crazy harley based custom. Not any of the big names, (Confederate, RS, Roehr, etc) but some sort of one off, more performance oriented harley custom builder. Kinda an oxymoron, but when you're rich, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

I read the same article, except I happen to remember the name :)

http://www.ecossemoto.com/index.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CoolBlue posted:

Ahh, that is it indeed. Pretty sweet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

CoolBlue posted:

Looks like a fancy Buell.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

After reading the Moped thread I really want one. I live close to my job so it would actually be a useful form of transportation. I found this on Craigslist today http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1064604294.html How are these 'peds? Can a kit be thrown upon this?

Agent Adam
Sep 28, 2004
Brotherly Glove

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

this is a good excuse to share what i just bought!

it doesn't run but all it needs is a piston and a cylinder repair! minor stuff.

it's got a big tube on it for some reason

and had a little problem here

got it for $350.

yes, it's a 440. i just sat on it last night and it killed me.

It's got a big tube on it for some reason??? I think you're refering to the exhaust pipe or "expansion chamber." They're very cool in that they use sound and energy waves to gain massive amount of power over a regular straight pipe, like those seen on four stroke engines. Those little dents in it shouldn't be much of a problem for you, especially since you're a beginner level rider, or at least I'm assuming you are one. I can tell you that I've ridden on that very bike and it's got a crazy hard hit in the mid-rpms and can pretty much tear your arms apart at every joint and then require you to buy a new "big tube" because you just crashed into the one and only bolder in the area that you're riding in. Proper technique and body position will help to negate the difficulty in handling that mid-range hit so read up on riding technique and enjoy!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Agent Adam posted:

It's got a big tube on it for some reason??? I think you're refering to the exhaust pipe or "expansion chamber." They're very cool in that they use sound and energy waves to gain massive amount of power over a regular straight pipe, like those seen on four stroke engines. Those little dents in it shouldn't be much of a problem for you, especially since you're a beginner level rider, or at least I'm assuming you are one. I can tell you that I've ridden on that very bike and it's got a crazy hard hit in the mid-rpms and can pretty much tear your arms apart at every joint and then require you to buy a new "big tube" because you just crashed into the one and only bolder in the area that you're riding in. Proper technique and body position will help to negate the difficulty in handling that mid-range hit so read up on riding technique and enjoy!
yeah when i ordered a new piston from z-racing, the guy on the phone said he owned a 440 and used it for riding dunes with a paddlewheel on the back. he said he sold it because it was so insane. i'm stoked :rock:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

yeah when i ordered a new piston from z-racing, the guy on the phone said he owned a 440 and used it for riding dunes with a paddlewheel on the back. he said he sold it because it was so insane. i'm stoked :rock:

when i hear paddlewheel i think of turning and just having it fall out from under you at 70mph

i don't want to ride dunes

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Dune riding sounds like the most awesome poo poo in the world, I'd love to do it someday.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bugdrvr posted:

After reading the Moped thread I really want one. I live close to my job so it would actually be a useful form of transportation. I found this on Craigslist today http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1064604294.html How are these 'peds? Can a kit be thrown upon this?
motobecanes and peugeots are the musclecars of the moped world. Yes, that's a good bike to buy. :-) gently caress yes a kit can be thrown.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Dammit! Already gone. The search continues...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you want a moped, you want to look for peugeots, motobecanes, tomos, and puch. Puches have an aftermarket that will make your head spin. Tomos's have two speed transmissions, which can make them pretty quick. Peugeots have a CVT, as do Motobecanes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm going to keep an eye out.
I had a chance to pick up two Puchs at spring Carlisle last year for $120, but didn't both because I was moving soon and I didn't know much about them. I still don't know anything about them but since a lot of here people here do I'm not too worried about finding info.
I'd like to find another ~$100 deal though. I figure I will learn more going through a broken but solid bike than one that is already running fine.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Looking at this 07 SV650 that is very local to me. Hoping to get some more pictures of the damage, but what would I be looking at to repair/replace the instrument panel, headlight, and gas tank?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1064084180.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Looking at this 07 SV650 that is very local to me. Hoping to get some more pictures of the damage, but what would I be looking at to repair/replace the instrument panel, headlight, and gas tank?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1064084180.html

Replied in the other thread, but for anyone that's looking here:

That's not a good buy because of the damage to the tank (expensive), the gauge is toast with a broken LCD display, and there's a decent sized scratch in the frame.

As a rule of thumb, if you have a salvage bike, you should come out like a bandit when the bike is completely built, incase you discover (like I did) that the frame is cracked or damaged. If you can still repair/replace that within your budget, then it's fine, but if you can't...well, you now have a 5k bike that's useless. So when you see a salvage bike that needs work, the complete cost of parts and everything else concievable to fix it should still come out at least 1500$ under market value for the bike. There's your time, the hassle, the lower resale, and the potential for other problems that you need to budget for. Otherwise it's really easy to end up with a broken piece of crap for the cost of an identical clean runner.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Z3n posted:

Replied in the other thread, but for anyone that's looking here:

That's not a good buy because of the damage to the tank (expensive), the gauge is toast with a broken LCD display, and there's a decent sized scratch in the frame.

Yea he kinda failed to mention the extent of the problems and damage in the craigslist ad. Salvage title to boot and all.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, ahoy!

I need some thoughts/opinions on the Blackbird. I found a local one for sale, a 2000 Blackbird with 29,000 miles and an asking price of $3500. Here is a quick rundown of his description of the bike:

Pros
Scorpion exhausts
All services were performed per manual, and a complete maintenance log kept
New chain and sprockets in good shape
Brake pads in good shape, front was just replaced
Avon Storm tires with 1800 miles.

Cons
Layed down at very low speed, scuffed up exhaust, fairing, and pegs.

Pictures of bike and cosmetic damage can be found here:
http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo13/l_pavilonis/CBR/

I don't have any personal experience with these bikes, but it won't be my first sportbike. I am looking for a big, fast and relatively comfortable bike that I can do a little touring with. I'm thinking for $3500, even with the cosmetics, that this thing is a freaking steal and I need to jump on it if everything checks out. KBB is somewhere around $5300 I believe.

Any thoughts or opinions on the bike are appreciated.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Wouldn't a VFR be more ideal for sporty touring, or is it going to be primarily sporty, with an occasional longer ride?

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Looking at getting a new bike due to mine having roughly 60k miles on it (2002 Bandit 1200s) and saw this on local craigslist:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1071271528.html

Went and rode it and feels wonderful, the shifter needs to be adjusted to my height and it idles a little low for my taste, but overall looks like a great deal. I looked for similar years online to find a price comparison and had trouble, should I try to go lower or go for the price listed?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't a VFR be more ideal for sporty touring, or is it going to be primarily sporty, with an occasional longer ride?

With risers a blackbird is a suprisingly comfortable bike. I've sat on the new BMW K1200S and a blackbird with 1" risers and aside from the blackbird's pegs being a tad higher they feel almost the same. The BMW has a nicer seat. I've been lusting after a blackbird ever since for a long distance personal cruise missile.

As for the price it seems to me that 3500 is right about where I've seen blackbirds lately espically if they're over 24K. If the damage is pretty bad you might want to wait a bit to see if a nicer one pops up. Since it's a honda I'd be fairly comfortable doing a fly and ride if there was a nice one farther away for the same or less.

Edit: saw the pics. That looks like it's in rather nice shape I'd say go for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Selious posted:

Looking at getting a new bike due to mine having roughly 60k miles on it (2002 Bandit 1200s) and saw this on local craigslist:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1071271528.html

Went and rode it and feels wonderful, the shifter needs to be adjusted to my height and it idles a little low for my taste, but overall looks like a great deal. I looked for similar years online to find a price comparison and had trouble, should I try to go lower or go for the price listed?

Seems a little on the high side, personally...without the really desirable aftermarket mods (namely, a rear shock and emulators in the front), not to mention that the springs may or may not be set right for you...if you rode it and it feels good, though, it's a reasonable deal. I saw a lot of similar bandits and some with nicer setups going in 2500 range in the CA area, which is usually a bit on the inflated side.

Why are you selling yours? Those bikes will go forever with good maintenence.

Hughmoris posted:

2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, ahoy!

I need some thoughts/opinions on the Blackbird. I found a local one for sale, a 2000 Blackbird with 29,000 miles and an asking price of $3500. Here is a quick rundown of his description of the bike:

Pros
Scorpion exhausts
All services were performed per manual, and a complete maintenance log kept
New chain and sprockets in good shape
Brake pads in good shape, front was just replaced
Avon Storm tires with 1800 miles.

Cons
Layed down at very low speed, scuffed up exhaust, fairing, and pegs.

Pictures of bike and cosmetic damage can be found here:
http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo13/l_pavilonis/CBR/

I don't have any personal experience with these bikes, but it won't be my first sportbike. I am looking for a big, fast and relatively comfortable bike that I can do a little touring with. I'm thinking for $3500, even with the cosmetics, that this thing is a freaking steal and I need to jump on it if everything checks out. KBB is somewhere around $5300 I believe.

Any thoughts or opinions on the bike are appreciated.

It seems like a reasonable deal, the damage is minor, and with good care they'll go forever as well.

However: High bluebook is 5300, low bluebook is 3600. Mods don't really count towards overall cost, as they're a sunk cost, and high bluebook assumes that the dealer has gone through and done all of the most recent maintenence and the bike is as brand new as it can be made. I'd say that being crashed, even at low speed, puts it at low blue book. As it has maintenence logs, I think you'd be good to go at 3500$.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Z3n posted:

Seems a little on the high side, personally...without the really desirable aftermarket mods (namely, a rear shock and emulators in the front), not to mention that the springs may or may not be set right for you...if you rode it and it feels good, though, it's a reasonable deal. I saw a lot of similar bandits and some with nicer setups going in 2500 range in the CA area, which is usually a bit on the inflated side.

Why are you selling yours? Those bikes will go forever with good maintenence.

Sounds good, I'll try and find some to help my case. I'm replacing mine due to getting sideswiped a year ago, which didn't destroy the bike but severely reduced its lifespan. Spent too much time in lawyer limbo and finally got the money, but at the time didn't have enough to repair the bike properly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the replies on the Blackburd. I think I'm going to hold off on buying it for several reasons. First, and most important, the insurance quotes I got for it were thru the loving roof. Second, I was reading thru some of the seller's post on advrider and it sounds like he rides the absolute dog piss out of the thing. I know, they were built to be ridden like that but I prefer one that has been coddled, just incase.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1076864632.html

The damage honestly doesn't look too extensive here, and considering that it's a newer bike and so cheap, I figure it might be worth it.

How much do you think it would be to repair it? It definitely needs new forks, right turn signal, and mirror. I don't know what other damage could have been done to it from the looks of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1076864632.html

The damage honestly doesn't look too extensive here, and considering that it's a newer bike and so cheap, I figure it might be worth it.

How much do you think it would be to repair it? It definitely needs new forks, right turn signal, and mirror. I don't know what other damage could have been done to it from the looks of it.

I'd be very concerned about frame damage from a hit that did that. Could have easily tweaked the headstock or done damage to the frame. I'd offer 300 and try and figure out if something is bent. 500$ isn't bad for the bike, and you should be able to source forks and such for cheap, but the possibility exists for you to easily get a grand into it, plus time, if you have to swap frames. You're almost definantely going to need triples as well. The upside here is that forks like that are spindly as hell, so they probably took a lot of the impact and hopefully minimized damage elsewhere.

Still, not a bad deal and a good project. I'd also be concerned about engine damage, given that it doesn't start. See if there's more to the story...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'll bet the bike is on a large part fine. The fairing's going to be rashed.

Getting a key will cost $70-90.

Forks will run you anywhere from $100-400. Depending on if you go with used, new, or just replacement fork tubes. Labor for replacement will be in the $1-200 range.

You're looking at at least $100 for other misc bits.

I'd first check to see if he has the title in hand. I could not recommend you buying it. I would buy it, for $300. I think I could get it to sale able condition for $2-300. But I do my own wrench turning.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Z3n posted:

Still, not a bad deal and a good project. I'd also be concerned about engine damage, given that it doesn't start. See if there's more to the story...

I'm assuming that it does start, I think he is saying that he just hasn't started it since he lost the key.

I've never worked on a bike, but I have no doubt that my friend and I could figure it out. From what I understand swapping forks isn't too difficult.

I sent him an email, I'll see what else he has to say.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

No, don't do it.

Even if the bike is with title, this will be a large project.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

I'm assuming that it does start, I think he is saying that he just hasn't started it since he lost the key.

I've never worked on a bike, but I have no doubt that my friend and I could figure it out. From what I understand swapping forks isn't too difficult.

I sent him an email, I'll see what else he has to say.

Oh...first project? I'd highly recommend that you find something that runs.

At this point, you shouldn't be looking for reasons to make exceptions. The only good thing about this bike is the price, and even that's not that good. You've got no key, so no way of knowing if it runs, the title's not mentioned (500$ and you take over the 2500$ in payments! :hurr: ), there could be frame damage...there's a lot of reasons to not take this bike.

If you're willing to part it, if you can get it for 300$, if you can spend hours on ebay and CL dealing with retarded sellers, then maybe it would be worth it...you'd probably break even after earning the equivalent of 2.50$ an hour and countless bouts of frustration.

Find something that runs for a first project. You don't want something that doesn't run, doesn't have a key, and is overall questionable like this.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Fair enough. In other news I found this. It's the 1983 one year wonder apparently.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1074688430.html

I already spoke to him, it has 14,528 miles, freshly cleaned and synced carbs, new tires, and comes with a 650 motor for parts. Clear title as well.

Unless you guys have any objections this looks like the perfect deal.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Stoic Commie posted:

Fair enough. In other news I found this. It's the 1983 one year wonder apparently.

Doesn't look too bad. You might have to clean it up a little and replace some parts but if it runs and rides well then its a steal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

I already spoke to him, it has 14,528 miles, freshly cleaned and synced carbs, new tires, and comes with a 650 motor for parts. Clear title as well.

That seems like a very good buy.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

Doesn't look too bad. You might have to clean it up a little and replace some parts but if it runs and rides well then its a steal.

The only mechanical problem he mentioned is that the blinkers will occasionally stop working, apparently a ground wire somewhere.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

I have that bike's big brother (1982 CB750SC). Great bike. The only think I would recommend is as soon as you get it home do the brakes. Two sets of pads for the fronts and new shoes for the back should run less then 80 bucks.

I'm doing mine later this week and will post a write up if you're interested.