Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
http://heeen.de/proj/picking.avi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.

Azazel posted:

Ran across why the lucky stiff's github code repo, and found his Shoes graphic API project. Decided to wrap my current Go related project with it. Very slick and easy to use.

Looks interesting. You've inspired me to start my own Go project; I've been working on it all day :)

Out of interest, is this a client or a standalone program you're creating?

Also, how do you track groups across turns? If two groups get merged, do you just arbitrarily dispose of one and expand the other?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was working on a platformer a little while ago that involved a little guy shooting robots while gaining 'scrap' to upgrade his equipment and get better guns. I formatted maps differently though; I assume most platformer maps consist of tiles (every implementation I looked up did this), but I didn't want to have the problems of handling a matrix of tiles. So I didn't, went with a sorted array of objects (sorted by the x axis), and it worked quite well. Except for some particular platforming issues. Namely: moving into a wall while falling down meant getting 'caught' on the wall, technically standing on a block that's in the wall. It was pretty frustrating. Also I hate gravity.

Twitchy
May 27, 2005

I'm making an implementation of a query language based on the functional data model. It's all in Java using normal data structures because it's more of a proof of concept than anything. Getting infinite for loops was a complete bitch :argh:.

Click here for the full 817x823 image.

(the GUI is atrocious)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finally finished (mostly) the subtitle editor I've been working on for 6 months, now I'm able to take a subrip, have it automatically get re-broken for maximum font size (inside a given box) and run through into chromakeyed subtitle files for overlaying.

Handles any UTF-8 SRT file (after being run through a pre-processing program), can render up to 4 synchronized tracks or can make separate tracks for desynchronous usage. The image is flipped because of something with bit order in uncompressed AVIs (it was simply faster to render uncompressed and have the program run virtualdub from the commandline to compress them as they roll out, in 1GB chunks - a typical uncompressed subtitle track is about 160GB) basically the idea being to keep things in as high a quality as possible until the last minute (the disk access bottleneck actually ended up being less of a problem than the CPU bottleneck of compressing to lossless on the fly). It also supports several types of proprietary markup (which right now will automatically color anything in square brackets yellow).

Here's a demo of an older version of the process. It basically looks the same now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSSgc2OOF8

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Inquisitus posted:

Looks interesting. You've inspired me to start my own Go project; I've been working on it all day :)

Out of interest, is this a client or a standalone program you're creating?

Also, how do you track groups across turns? If two groups get merged, do you just arbitrarily dispose of one and expand the other?

This is one of several stand alone Go relaed projects, although I haven't worked on it since posting that screenshot. I just released the Ruby SGF parser as an open source project this week, but I haven't tested all cases yet (and stuff like node branching doesn't work at all). Check http://kantan-sgf.rubyforge.org/ if you are interested.

As for group tracking: It was more complicated than I originally thought, but my algorithm seems to work well. I used the Shoes interface to visually verify that it was working as I thought, since console and/or text output was a pain to debug in this case. I read a little about how GnuGo handles groups in the past, then created my own version based on how I thought it'd work out.

I have a high level GroupTracker object, and a lower level StoneString object. The Board object receives moves from the players and does a pre-check with the GroupTracker to see if the move is a suicide (assuming "no suicide" is flagged). It then checks if the move is adjacent to a verticle/horizontal stone/group of the same color, which are tracked by StoneStrings.

If nothing is adjacent, it registers a new StoneString at that point along with it's open liberties. If something is adjacent, it adds the stone to the existing StoneString and merges the liberties. Finally, if it connects two groups it merges the groups and their respective liberties together. If a group has it's last liberty removed by the opposite color, the StoneString is deleted and the number of prisoners is returned.

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

I made a simple interface for creating and maintaining drinking games. Each game can have any number of parent games and inherit their rules. I'm on a pretty big jQuery kick right now, so everything is ajax'd up for maximal rule creating and editing efficiency.

We used to keep our drinking games in spreadsheets, but editing rules was cumbersome. And in the case of Star Trek, we'd need to have more than one sheet open at a time and flip between them, or copy and paste rules.

Making everything a game, category or rule with the inheritance makes it really flexible, the best example of this is star trek

there's a general sci fi game, a star trek game and then a game for each series

and there doesnt need to be extra functionality for episode specific games!

the sci game has rules like 'drink when a ship explodes with fire in space'
the general star trek game has rules like 'red shirt dies'
and then tng has rules like 'deanna has camel toe'

so when you open the tng game it shows all three rules.

basic functionality is almost complete, I've added some simple css for readbility until I finish it.

pick a game or create a new one

the inherited rules and the games they're in- since an inherited set of rules is just another game, you can add rules to any parent game from any child game's page, and the same php functions can be used to output the parent games.

outputting a game's parents is just a simple recursive function that outputs a games rules and then the game's parent's rules, recursing till it hits a game with no parents.

and finally the game's rules - same as the parents. A modifier rule is a rule that is something like 'someone receives a shot: 1 drink' modifier- 'from a non medic: 2 drinks' modifiers will probably just appear indented underneath their parent rule.

or picard drinks tea '3 drinks' modifier- 'tea is earl grey: 4 drinks'

you may have noticed all my tng rules are from the classic tng drinking game.

output functionality is in 3 recursive php functions and a bunch of javascript, editing functionality is just posting to a bunch of separate php files right now, quick and dirty.

Eventually I'll password protect the editing functions so anyone can use the games without worry of messing it up.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.

Azazel posted:

This is one of several stand alone Go relaed projects, although I haven't worked on it since posting that screenshot. I just released the Ruby SGF parser as an open source project this week, but I haven't tested all cases yet (and stuff like node branching doesn't work at all). Check http://kantan-sgf.rubyforge.org/ if you are interested.

As for group tracking: It was more complicated than I originally thought, but my algorithm seems to work well. I used the Shoes interface to visually verify that it was working as I thought, since console and/or text output was a pain to debug in this case. I read a little about how GnuGo handles groups in the past, then created my own version based on how I thought it'd work out.

I have a high level GroupTracker object, and a lower level StoneString object. The Board object receives moves from the players and does a pre-check with the GroupTracker to see if the move is a suicide (assuming "no suicide" is flagged). It then checks if the move is adjacent to a verticle/horizontal stone/group of the same color, which are tracked by StoneStrings.

If nothing is adjacent, it registers a new StoneString at that point along with it's open liberties. If something is adjacent, it adds the stone to the existing StoneString and merges the liberties. Finally, if it connects two groups it merges the groups and their respective liberties together. If a group has it's last liberty removed by the opposite color, the StoneString is deleted and the number of prisoners is returned.

Thanks for expanding. Why does GroupTracker need to be separate from Board? Surely it would make just as much sense, logically, for the Board to be tracking its own groups?

It's a really interesting problem to tackle actually I've gone the whole hog with my implementation and allowed for arbitrary numbers of colours and arbitrary board geometries. It's made me realize just how powerful LINQ is :)

Also, are you implementing a bot player?

Inquisitus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 11, 2009

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Hey, another roguelike. Although this one's a bit different.

Rather than a D&D hack'em-up, this is based on 19th exploration. Originally it was going to be set in Africa, but I've moved it to an unnamed continent for various reasons.

The other main difference is that you have a party (although you control them as one entity for the most part), and amongst other gameplay devices, they affect your skills. For example, bringing a doctor along will allow you to treat people more effectively, but only for as long as he survives. Or you could kick him out yourself and recruit someone else. So it effectively works as a flexible 'trait' system. There are drawbacks to a large party though, for instance you're more likely to trigger traps.

Various things you can do, or are planned:
- interact with local tribes: barter with them, run screaming from them as they try to cannibalise you, or brutally subjugate them and take some of them into your party as slaves.
- remember that bit in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when the bad guys force that guide to try and retrieve the grail for them, and he gets butchered by all kinds of traps? You too can do that with your slaves, thanks to the party/squad system!
- rescue damsels in distress from over-sized apes.
- catch all kinds of lovely diseases, such as malaria, dysentery and typhoid!
- take ayahuasca, lick frogs or drink bark sap and generally go nuts.
- raid tombs, explore caves (for more traditional rogueliking).
- shoot/hunt elephants, lions, velociraptors, etc.

The framework is C++, the gameplay is written entirely in GameMonkey script, and anyone who's used CEGUI will have recognised it straight away from the screenshot.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

http://limcollective.com/starter-fluid/

Some basic templates for expression engine to get sites up and running faster

Made it so I'd have something to say about expression engine during an interview. I got the job, and now people are actually using this thing, so that's pretty cool.

Very basic system uses a very basic templating system to put together the zip files from many separate template files.

If anyone here uses expression engine and wants to request a template/framework just email me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Africa (well, this continent) was apparently quite an interesting place in the 19th century.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Africa (well, this continent) was apparently quite an interesting place in the 19th century.
I'm undecided; I want to aim for realism but Lost World/Journey To The Centre Of The Earth elements could be fun.

infallible fallacy
Feb 14, 2008
Code Junkie, Powerglove Tour Manager
I don't have sreenshots yet but I'm working on software to make the business side of touring easier. Basically everything from budgeting (merch sales, van/bus costs, hotels, etc. Basically all the information a tour manager needs to keep track of. It will be able to estimate things like running out of merch and the resulting reordering, etc. I'm not really doing it justice in this post there is actually a lot more to it than I've mentioned thus far. I want to allow it to interface with a barcode scanner and print barcodes. etc.

Its being developed using sql server 2008 express, WPF, c# 2008, ADO.NET Entity Framework and will integrate with Crystal Reports and Excel. it's basically to make my life easier and help me keep track of things when I'm on the road. Currently I have tons of spreadsheets I use for this and it would save me a lot of time not having to manage them all.

I've thought about asking if others wanted to join in the project but am not quite sure how much interest there would be. I intend to release the app as freeware to help smaller bands get a better handle on the business aspect of touring.

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

:megaman:Indie Game Dev and Bringer of the Apocalypse

ultra-inquisitor posted:

definitely put velociraptors in this game.

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

Here is Castles & Creatures, an in-browser multiplayer game with server code written in erlang + Python and the client in Actionscript (Flex). The cursor is missing from the picture, but it is hovering over a waypoint which is why the popup is there. Oh and the background is pretty cool (i think!) because the clouds are moving. but you can't see that either. :D

C&C as a project is mostly a learning experience for me... but also meant to be a portfolio booster. Going the 2D route is going to make my life a lot easier since I'm the only one working on it, but I'm considering using Papervision3D for some minor things.

Right now the game is just a glorified chatroom, and it took a good deal of effort to even get it to that point. For immediate planning is a Rock, Paper, Scissors type game to play against other users. :v: "I challenge thee to Stone, Papyrus, Blade!" ... a primer for coding combat, because I figure they will be fairly similar.

tons of other ideas but trying to keep the scope-bomb from sploding in my face.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

terminatusx posted:

C&C

This looks interesting, but maybe you should choose a different abbreviation. :v:

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

I'm writing a movie database program. The user can do a lot of things, like edit fields and search by fields.This is extended with a context menu; for example, right clicking an actor lets you select "Other movies with this actor", which fills in the query automatically for you.

So you're saying big deal, tons of programs do this. Why reinvent the wheel? Well, this program also scans a directory, queries all of the folder names in that directory against IMDB, parses, and stores the information in a database along with a cover of the movie. It's pretty accurate too, out of a list of 200 movies, 196 were accurate, and 3 of the inaccurate ones were asian movies. Not too bad. When it does get it wrong, it's very easy to see other possible matches and pick the correct movie.

Alright, that's pretty cool, but again, a lot of programs can do this with a text list of movie names, which comes to the main reason I'm writing this program. It stores a path to the folder in the database, and you can launch all of the movie files in that directory, queued in order, with a single button press. There was a program long ago called Dirty Pirate that did this (and was written by a goon also), but IMDB has changed how they store information and parsing has been broken with it for several years. My layout is very similar to Dirty Pirate (so's the name :v:), but in my opinion, improved.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

coldfire07 posted:

This is AWESOME! Where's the link to download??

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

Scaevolus posted:

This looks interesting, but maybe you should choose a different abbreviation. :v:

thanks! well.. yea, the title is purposefully a satire on Dungeons (Castles) & Dragons (Creatures)

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

terminatusx posted:

thanks! well.. yea, the title is purposefully a satire on Dungeons (Castles) & Dragons (Creatures)

Perhaps you're familiar with a little game called Command and Conquer?

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

dancavallaro posted:

Perhaps you're familiar with a little game called Command and Conquer?
:ughh:

:suicide:

terminatusx fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2009

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
Oh god, clearly I said something retarded..

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

fletcher posted:

This is AWESOME! Where's the link to download??

Not quite ready for release yet, I'm still working on this. This coming week is my Spring Break, so hopefully I'll be able to have a first version released by then so I can start working out some kinks/bugs I'm not seeing as well as add user suggestions. If you want to request something specific here, I could start to implement it now (if I like your idea :v:)

I'll make a thread about it once it's at that point :)

ndrz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 12, 2009

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

dancavallaro posted:

Oh god, clearly I said something retarded..

No, I was ughhing and suiciding myself for not realizing it :(

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

terminatusx posted:

No, I was ughhing and suiciding myself for not realizing it :(

Oh, I feel better now. I thought I said something retarded but gently caress if I could figure out what it was.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
This is the first attempt at a program used to print the date onto an image using the EXIF data, then save it. Apparently some of the newer digital cameras no longer come with the option to place the date on the pictures. There are several similar shareware options but I felt like making my own because none of the other versions offered the flexibility that I wanted, plus, its a nice self-contained project.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

coldfire07 posted:

Not quite ready for release yet, I'm still working on this. This coming week is my Spring Break, so hopefully I'll be able to have a first version released by then so I can start working out some kinks/bugs I'm not seeing as well as add user suggestions. If you want to request something specific here, I could start to implement it now (if I like your idea :v:)

I'll make a thread about it once it's at that point :)

Awesome!

One feature that came to mind is keeping track of how many times and when the last time a file was viewed, that way you can easily keep track of what episode you're on in a TV series, or see a list of movies you haven't seen in awhile.

Also, being able to click on an actor/director and browse other things you have by that person would be awesome.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

fletcher posted:

Awesome!

One feature that came to mind is keeping track of how many times and when the last time a file was viewed, that way you can easily keep track of what episode you're on in a TV series, or see a list of movies you haven't seen in awhile.

Also, being able to click on an actor/director and browse other things you have by that person would be awesome.

From my first post:

quote:

This is extended with a context menu; for example, right clicking an actor lets you select "Other movies with this actor", which fills in the query automatically for you.

This isn't really meant to support TV series (yet.. that might come in a future release though), but that's a great suggestion for (if) when I add support for that. It's been added to the list. Thanks

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I have a habit of creating offbeat, quirky things. My latest creation is this: http://shmups.info/scenegen/ - an interactive "Shmashup" creator.

Started as a random header creator, I decided to make an editable one, and I've been adding features ever since. Still adding more sprites!

Example:
edit: removed samples due to massive code changes

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 17, 2009

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

TwystNeko posted:

I have a habit of creating offbeat, quirky things. My latest creation is this: http://shmups.info/scenegen/ - an interactive "Shmashup" creator.

Started as a random header creator, I decided to make an editable one, and I've been adding features ever since. Still adding more sprites!

Example:

screenshot because your exporter threw me mysql errors

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

jegHegy posted:

screenshot because your exporter threw me mysql errors

Huh. I'll have to track that down. And I also just realized from seeing my images a bit messed up above (I changed some filenames) that I'm going to have to implement a caching system, with an expiry on them, or something, because otherwise images will break everywhere. :(

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

stuff

I played around with this for a few minutes too:

out of curiosity, did you make any of these sprites or are they all ripped?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
They're all ripped. I do edit all the sprites - I give them all a 1px black outline, clean them up, etc, etc.. But they're all from arcade games. I suppose I should make a list of what I've used - So far, it's Cotton, Parodius, Gradius, Raiga: Strato Fighter, Zero Wing, Darius, Thunder Cross, ThunderForce AC, R-Type, Tengai, Saint Dragon, Megablast, Air Wolf, and Three Wonders.

Edit: Wow, missed a few. Just making a credits page now, that is ALMOST automatic. I've also set up the images to use the Coral CDN now, to offload the images after initial creation.

editedit: oh god, someone just suggested a "bullet hell" option. Guess I'll have to look into algorithms for making bullet patterns! :ohdear:

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 14, 2009

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

TwystNeko posted:

Example:

This is absolutely adorable.

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

TwystNeko posted:

They're all ripped. I do edit all the sprites - I give them all a 1px black outline, clean them up, etc, etc.. But they're all from arcade games. I suppose I should make a list of what I've used - So far, it's Cotton, Parodius, Gradius, Raiga: Strato Fighter, Zero Wing, Darius, Thunder Cross, ThunderForce AC, R-Type, Tengai, Saint Dragon, Megablast, Air Wolf, and Three Wonders.

Edit: Wow, missed a few. Just making a credits page now, that is ALMOST automatic. I've also set up the images to use the Coral CDN now, to offload the images after initial creation.

editedit: oh god, someone just suggested a "bullet hell" option. Guess I'll have to look into algorithms for making bullet patterns! :ohdear:
You may want to look into BulletML

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Yea, that's something I spotted - but it's a markup language - I'd still have to implement a parser. I may just plot some random functions, some simple math equations, that sort of thing.

As a side note, my credits page is up, and I just implemented flipping of bullets, and proper caching - not only locally, but through the CCDN.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm making a Twitter plugin for Miranda IM because I'm really bored:

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Well, I think I can tentatively call the Shmups Generator feature complete.

Multiple text areas with scaling, definable speech bubbles, dragging/clipping all enemies - not just bosses, remade the DB with a better URL scheme and date/time tracking.

I've also built a vertical version of the generator. It has mostly the same features, but I still need to collect sprites for it.

It was quite the learning experience for me - the PHP code? Not so hard. jQuery? drat, I love this library. I even went so far as to make my own plugin for it, to clip a div by any other div.

And now, I need to actually build the main page, and perhaps do a "last 5 generated" list.

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

And now, I need to actually build the main page, and perhaps do a "last 5 generated" list.

What about a way to view and rate other people's creations? You know.. "social networking" and WEB 2.0 STUFFS !! I could actually see that being somewhat entertaining. Nice work with the user-defined text bubbles btw, I remember when I checked it out the first time I wanted to do something like that but it wasn't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug
Saw that I had 50k+ unique visitors last year on my lovely avatar scraper, so I figured if people use it I should give it a facelift. SAARS 2.0:
[

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 18, 2009