Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Nerobro posted:

awesome help

Thanks again for the pointers on troubleshooting this. The resistance between the legs doesn't see too terribly off.

A-B: 1.1 Ω
A-C: 0.8 Ω
B-C: 0.7 Ω

I then tested each leg to the chassis and got the following. From what you said, this is probably bad.

A: 1.0 Ω
B: 0.7 Ω
C: 0.5 Ω

I then fired the bike up and tested the AC current coming out of the stator. Here's what I got there. Not good either:

A-B: 15v
A-C: 8v
B-C: 10v

I also got similar readings going from each leg to the chassis. I would assume that since it is supposed to be isolated that there should be 0v when doing this, correct?

So unless I'm interpreting something wrong, then it's new stator time. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
As I was putting my new choke cable on today which ended up being a horrible idea that failed, I noticed a wire harness that connected to the clutch handle pivot point. What on the bike would care that the clutch is being used and need a signal during that time?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dietcokefiend posted:

As I was putting my new choke cable on today which ended up being a horrible idea that failed, I noticed a wire harness that connected to the clutch handle pivot point. What on the bike would care that the clutch is being used and need a signal during that time?

The safety switch that won't let you start your bike in gear without the clutch being held.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

dietcokefiend posted:

On some bikes it's a safety feature so that you cant start the bike without the clutch lever pulled in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

It checks and makes sure you have the clutch in if the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down. It varies slightly depending on the bike and how they design it but that's the most typical. It's designed to prevent you from taking off with the kickstand down.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bob Sapp Please posted:

I then tested each leg to the chassis and got the following. From what you said, this is probably bad.

A: 1.0 Ω
B: 0.7 Ω
C: 0.5 Ω

I then fired the bike up and tested the AC current coming out of the stator. Here's what I got there. Not good either:

A-B: 15v
A-C: 8v
B-C: 10v

I also got similar readings going from each leg to the chassis. I would assume that since it is supposed to be isolated that there should be 0v when doing this, correct?

So unless I'm interpreting something wrong, then it's new stator time. :smith:
I will say new stator... When you pull it, I would expect the C winding to be quite black, and nasty looking.

The low voltage readings are due to power leaking out the stator into the chassis.

A new stator is ~150. I rewound my stator for $20. ;-) the choice is up to you. I will say, that in the future, I will always rewind my stators. I can't justify spending $150 on something that just takes me a couple hours to do, and I end up with a better part in the end.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

quote:

As I was putting my new choke cable on today which ended up being a horrible idea that failed,

Wait, how did you fail at replacing a choke cable?

Also what's this about your chronic lying, Nerobro?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n posted:

It checks and makes sure you have the clutch in if the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down. It varies slightly depending on the bike and how they design it but that's the most typical. It's designed to prevent you from taking off with the kickstand down.

Can you disable it? I like starting my bike before I put on my gear. Wouldn't mind skipping having to lean over and pull the clutch in with all my stuff in my hands.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Christoff posted:

Can you disable it? I like starting my bike before I put on my gear. Wouldn't mind skipping having to lean over and pull the clutch in with all my stuff in my hands.

I think if you disconnect the connector and hotwire the leads together forming a closed circuit, it should do what you want it to do.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Christoff posted:

What? Maybe I'm odd, but I always keep my bike in neutral when I'm at home. LOL WEST TEXAS NO HILLS.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

What? Maybe I'm odd, but I always keep my bike in neutral when I'm at home. LOL WEST TEXAS NO HILLS.

My bike won't start in neutral unless you pull the clutch in.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So put it in neutral, pull the clutch in, start the bike, and then walk away. How is this difficult? :iiam:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Simkin posted:

So put it in neutral, pull the clutch in, start the bike, and then walk away. How is this difficult? :iiam:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
How did that happen exactly?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
he t-boned a soccer mom at highway speed or something. he's been the subject of a number of threads now i think.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Simkin posted:

I'd like to skip that part. I usually leave it in neutral as I park the rear tire against a curb. Or it's in the garage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

I'd like to skip that part. I usually leave it in neutral as I park the rear tire against a curb. Or it's in the garage.

Warning:

I don't recommend doing this.

But if you really want to do it: Just look at the connector. Jump it with a piece of wire, and wrap the entire thing in electrical tape. You don't want to cut the connector and solder it in case you want to sell the bike one day.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What would be a safe way to test if the system is still working? I normally check for neutral then start the bike while I finish putting on my helmet and gloves without using the clutch. Would it only work with stand down, in gear, and not using clutch?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Another question about my 1982 Honda CM250C...

I need to replace the air filter. When I got it, the air filter was hilariously dirty, and a mouse had made a nest around it. The carbs were also extremely dirty. They were so bad that I had a friend of mine, who cleans carbs all the time, clean them for me, and he said that "they were by far, the dirtiest things he had ever had the misfortune of cleaning."

So, I need a new air filter. I can't find one for my bike, though. The closest I could find was this:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HA-0850

...which goes to a CM450, not a 250. I have no idea how to figure out if this will fit my bike. I know the opening into the intake is two inches, and that I'll probably lose the airbox altogether because it's an ugly piece of poo poo, so I will just have the air filter there, no box. I think I might also need to make the filter potrude slightly sideways from the intake, not straight out - do they make elbows or something for filters? I don't know the terminology.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
I'm not going to start a whole new thread for this.
I have a 2000 Honda CBR600 with about 21k miles on it.

This past year it had been having a lot of problems starting up so I finally had the carbs professionally cleaned in Nov or Dec. Worked perfect after that up until Sunday. It started up just fine, warmed up, I rode it around for probably 2 hours with a couple stops where it would start back up just fine. I was riding back to the storage place where I keep it and got stuck at a decently steep hill at a red light. First gear, clutch in, pressing on the back brake so I don't roll into the people behind me. I see/hear the RPMs start to slowly drop and it just stalls out. Start it back up, it starts for maybe a second then stalls out. I pushed it up the hill and into a parking lot. It continues to start up for a second then immediately stall out. Had a lot of gas, battery charge was good. I called AAA to come pick me up and after waiting 20 minutes for them, decided to try again except this time using the method I would do if I was trying to start it cold by using the choke. Full choke, bitch started right up, RPMs stayed constant so I dropped the choke all the way off and it stayed on.

What on earth happened here. Any ideas? Dirty gas? When they cleaned the carbs they did an oil change so it wouldn't have anything to do with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

:words: about clutch test

The bike should cut out if it detects that you've got the bike in gear, and are letting the clutch out. As other people have said, it can also stop you from starting the bike if it's not in neutral, that one's a little more hit and miss, depending on the make of the bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

:words: about CM250

Can't be much help here, but it looks like that was the predecessor to the Rebel 250...maybe find a cheap rebel 250 filter and see if it fits?

You could also just purchase a generic foam Uni filter that will clamp over the mouth of the carb.

iroc_dis posted:

:words: about stalling bike

I'd guess dirty gas and wouldn't worry too much about it. Check your oil level, and check your battery voltage with the bike at charging RPM, but my first thought would be you got some crap in your gas. Were you running it on reserve or on?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

Just echoing what Z3n was saying. There's safety systems on bikes for a reason. Next you're going to be looking to defeat the kickstand killswitch, or something equally dubious. :smith:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You mean ALL the systems I deactivated on my bike? :-)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

You mean ALL the systems I deactivated on my bike? :-)

I'm just gonna go with your chronic lying making you say that.

Besides, you have too much metal in your body for me to take your safety advice seriously...;)

Edit: I will admit, I disabled the kickstand safety switch on one of my bikes. It doesn't have a kickstand, though, so I think it's ok.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Dumb mechanical/electrical question;

I was pulled over on my 89 BMW R100GS for no tail lights. Like none. The same bulbs are also the turn indicators and they work fine so I drove home like a dick with my turn indicator going the whole time. When I turn the beast on the headlight comes on fine and the relay clicks pretty loudly. Said relay cannot be taken apart of course.

So; is it the relay? Is it some loose wire buried in the harness? To reiterate - one bulb per side used for running and indicating and indicating works fine.

ok. I am truly a dump person. When the cop pulled me over for no rear lights I looked back there and saw none. In my grand and glorious wisdom though I'd hung a leather bag to hold my ether can in the center. No it wasn't covering up the brake light/running light, but I got it in my head that the rear running lights were fed from the turn indicator housings. Well that my friend is simply not true. The running LIGHT is a dual filament bulb housed in the BRAKE LIGHT THINGIE goddamnit. I have no idea how I convinced myself that the turn indicators were where the running lights were located. Wow. One new bulb, problem solved.

So where exactly is my fuse box?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ChlamydiaJones posted:

So where exactly is my fuse box?

Depends. Most bikes I've owned, they've been under the seat or behind a sidepanel.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I always solder the kickstand sensor wires, future owners be damned. Although on my new bike that has a stand indicator I wired it so the light still works but it will never cut the ignition... win win.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Simkin posted:

Just echoing what Z3n was saying. There's safety systems on bikes for a reason. Next you're going to be looking to defeat the kickstand killswitch, or something equally dubious. :smith:

I understand the purpose but I don't see why it won't let me start the drat thing in neutral without the clutch being in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

I understand the purpose but I don't see why it won't let me start the drat thing in neutral without the clutch being in.

In case you have a false neutral.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Christoff posted:

Because it's a hell of alot simpler to wire 1 circuit to not left you take off without the clutch in at all, than it is to wire a multiple circuits to let you only only to start with the couch out in neutral.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think Z3n and Dubs have valid points. The V-Strom has the same 'need clutch in even in neutral to start' thing that you're mentioning, and I was absolutely flummoxed by it, coming from my bike, where it doesn't care at all one way or the other. I had to pull the manual out for that one. :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

Because it's a hell of alot simpler to wire 1 circuit to not left you take off without the clutch in at all, than it is to wire a multiple circuits to let you only only to start with the couch out in neutral.

One of the bikes I've owned would let you start with the clutch out as long as you were in neutral. I don't recall which one it was though...maybe the Kawasaki ZX-6E? I always thought that was a little strange as there was zero promise that it was actually in neutral...

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
My EX250 lets the engine start with clutch out in neutral, so I think its just a large case of YMMV.

EDIT: As an interesting side note if I have the clutch in when I turn power on with the key, I have to pump the clutch to get it to start otherwise.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

My Kawi ZR-7S doesn't care two shits whether the clutch is in or not, as long as I'm in neutral. Then again, I think there's a Kawasaki specific system to prevent false neutrals.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yup, same with my Kawasaki EN500. My buddies 70-something (78?) Honda Hawk works that way, too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
anyone know what kind of poo poo i should use to re-glue a vinyl seat cover to the edge of a seat pan? the italians never heard of rivets i guess.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

contact cement.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gorilla glue? Heavy duty double sided tape?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Simkin posted:

My Kawi ZR-7S doesn't care two shits whether the clutch is in or not, as long as I'm in neutral. Then again, I think there's a Kawasaki specific system to prevent false neutrals.

I think you're referring to Kawasaki's "positive neutral finder." Everyone I know with a Kawasaki hits a false neutral from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

anyone know what kind of poo poo i should use to re-glue a vinyl seat cover to the edge of a seat pan? the italians never heard of rivets i guess.

Honestly I'd drill the leather and pan and rivet it anyway. You can get black rivets.

Or are you going the authenticity route?