Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I got one of these bad boys about 6 months ago and I love it. It has more suction than my old shopvac which was 3x as big, and has enough capacity that I only have to empty it once a week (this is for ~30 animals, mind you). It was about $80 then, it seems to be on sale for $60 now. I also bought one of those reusable washable filters instead of having to buy a new filter every few months.

Melicious, I wish you hadn't mentioned the heavy-duty Roomba. I've been wanting a Roomba so bad, and talked myself out of it with the idea that it couldn't handle big things like hay and poos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So, i finally got my poo poo together and got a lovely little lionhead rabbit yesterday evening. The only problem is that she seems really shy and nervous :( She hid in her little house thing in her cage for a good while (2-3 hours) last night before finally venturing out to explore the rest of her cage. She's still really jumpy and tends to run back in there when i get near the cage and even when she's out she spends most of her time sitting on the roof of it in the corner of her cage :(

Am i just expecting too much too soon from her when i expect her not to be quite so shy? I'm pretty much sitting here in the room with her and it's pretty quiet and i'm hoping she'll get a bit braver as the day goes on. She has plenty of food, water and stuff to play with but all she's doing now is sitting there. She is eating (she ate a good bit of hay and most of a halved carrot) and i heard her moving around a good bit when she thought i was asleep last night. Am i right to be worried or does this kind of thing just take time?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

How long have you had her? How old is the rabbit? I know out rabbit, at one month old, took a good week or so to really get brave enough to let us pet her on a regular basis and explore the room more. At the end of two months she would be fine around us and explore a lot. By the end of the third month she gave no gently caress and just climb over and on top of us, burrowing under the covers, and chewing my hair in an effort to groom me in the mornings so we would pet her.

But every bunny is different and has a different personality I think. The cage is the safe place, so let your rabbit feel safe and let her do things on her terms.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The very helpful girl in the petshop (i know, if i had the choice i would have got my rabbit elsewhere but there's no rabbit rescues or breeders in the part of Ireland i live in) said that she's around 2 or 3 months old because she had difficulty finding the lady bits when i asked the gender.

I think i may have been a bit hasty in my worrying anyway because she's just started wandering around her cage sniffing at the bars (in the shop they had them in a kind of open top glass thing with some guinea pigs so i think the idea of the cage itself is a new experience) and throwing her hay about just now and i'm sitting only about a foot away from her.

Think i might leave the door of the cage open later on tonight and see if she feels like exploring :D

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

alucinor posted:

Melicious, I wish you hadn't mentioned the heavy-duty Roomba. I've been wanting a Roomba so bad, and talked myself out of it with the idea that it couldn't handle big things like hay and poos...

Oh yeah, it definitely handles the hay and poos like a champ. I got the Roomba Dirt Dog, which is actually a cheaper model than some of the other ones, but made to vacuum up sawdust and bolts and things. It doesn't come with some of the iRobot accessories (virtual wall, remote), but you can buy them separately. I also got it during one of Amazon's Friday sales for like $90. Can't beat that, I don't think.

A few caveats, though: it's pretty noisy because it has a heavier motor than some of the other models, so you probably wouldn't want to turn it on before you go to bed or something. It doesn't really seem to faze my bunny or cats, somehow, though.

Also, the dust bin isn't very big. With all the hay and poop on the floor in the bunny's room, I have to empty it fairly frequently, but that's still a lot less intervention than all my previous vacs have needed.

Like all the Roombas, you need to pick up any socks or wires hanging on the ground because it will get tripped up on them. I don't imagine many bunny owners having cords draped around their place, though.

Finally, I've only had this bad boy for about 2 weeks. My other vacuums all crapped out in less than a year thanks to the fur and hay, so time will tell if the Roomba will outlast its more expensive upright cousins. But hell, if you can snag one for under $100 like I did, I feel like it's not even a risk. So far, it's super thorough and requires a lot less of me than a shopvac or broom and dustpan, so I am happy!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
So I've had chunk for about a week now, and he's still quite shy. He explores his cage, and the room, when he thinks we're occupied, but if we move at all, he runs back to his hidey-box. He mostly stays in there all day, and comes out to snack on pellets and poop.

Though, the other day he did come out and sniff my calves as I was emptying his litter box. And occasionally he will get curious if I'm ignoring him, watching tv on the floor.

My big worry is that he doesn't seem to be eating much hay or fresh veggies. We've tried several different kinds of veggies (chard, baby bok choy, celery, zucchini, cucumber, romaine) but the only things he gets gung-ho about are fresh dill, and treats (carrot, apple) Beyond that, he munches down pellets like a champ, but since those don't provide full nutrition, I'm worried about him getting all his vitamins.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
As others have stated, initial shyness is normal. Either he'll get over it, or you'll adapt to having a standoffish rabbit. It's not uncommon.

For the diet - are you feeding the small pellet amounts recommended by rabbit.org? If not, reduce the amount of pellets to that, and/or break the pellet portion into two servings about 12 hours apart, so that he has a chance to empty his bowl and has nothing left to eat but hay and veg. Keep experimenting with a wide variety of veggies - I have one really picky old girl who won't eat any lettuces or "soft" leaf veggies, only stemmy things like dill and parsley, or crunchy things like broccoli and bok choi.

Also, dill? RABBIT CRACK.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

Also, dill? RABBIT CRACK.

Yeah seriously -- Zen went through a phase where she wouldn't eat any veggies except carrots or dill. She's ferret out those things from her food bowl and then turn away from the rest disdainfully. I was convinced she was going to starve herself to make her point. :/

PolishSausage
Feb 1, 2009
I'm sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't want to search manually through the 40-some pages to see. However, for anyone craving a quick bunny fix, the "An Interesting Rabbit" series on Youtube basically encapsulate everything that is amazing about owning a bunny. They make me smile a lot so I thought I'd share.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sherbet digs dill sure but he goes COMPLETELY BONKERS for cilantro.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

Went outside with 2 of my buns today (the other one is too quick too catch and I left my harness at my parents) Took these pics:

George Carlin once said, "You never see someone taking a poo poo while running at full speed." Well now you have:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

munchies posted:

Went outside with 2 of my buns today (the other one is too quick too catch and I left my harness at my parents) Took these pics:

George Carlin once said, "You never see someone taking a poo poo while running at full speed." Well now you have:

Awwww, they look so soft and cuddly! Like moving plushies! :D

It's too cold here (New York) to take the kids outside for a romp, but as soon as it gets warmer I will. Zen loves being outside. (Frith not so much.)

PoconoHermit
Oct 25, 2005

Fire in the hole, Internet!
I like to taunt my girlfriend's rabbits while she cleans their cage.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My bunny is slowly starting to get used to me now i think. She still won't come out of her cage even if i leave the door open though, the most she'll do is stick her head out for a sniff around and then go back in.

She doesn't really seem to mind me getting close to her cage anymore either but when i have to clean it out and change her hay and food and water and stuff she goes ballistic. There's really loud thumping and darting about the cage involved, sometimes running away from my hand and then running back into it again in the excitement which gets her even more worked up. Is this normal because she sees it as me as messing up her home when i clean it out?

She did let me pet her on the head a little bit today when i was finished cleaning her out and she had a good sniff of my hand while she was at it. We even played a little game of tug-o-war with the cardboard bit from a roll of paper towels :)

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 16, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I think that this summer I'm going to take my rabbits to my parents house and build them a little enclosure to play in the yard.

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

CampingCarl posted:

My rabbit is getting older now, almost 11, so I just wanted to double check on if this is normal behavior. First he tends to poop just outside of this cage, where he sits a lot when not caged. I moved his room litter box(not the one in his cage) there and he doesn't seem to use it. He doesn't pee outside his cage but it seems more than just marking and there are 2 litter boxes within a couple feet.
He also licks the carpet outside his cage sometimes too, not chew or dig though. Don't know what that could mean.
He stretches a lot, big stretches with his head/body on the floor. I assume this has to do with age. He is still pretty active though.

Are black oil sunflower seeds ok for rabbits as a treat? I ran out of normal ones and have a bag lying around.

As a house rabbit how often should his nails be clipped? Is there anything he might play with to wear down nails?

First of all, wow! That is so old for a rabbit! You've been doing such a good job with him if he's made it that far.

Older rabbits are actually really good when it comes to going in a litter box, but they do tend to get picky about litter boxes as they age. He may be reluctant to using new boxes because he's so used to the one in his cage. He's already familiar with it and it contains his smell, he knows it's his. Try laying down potty pads instead on putting up new litter boxes in the places he goes.

My rabbit licks the carpet too, and he's three. I assume the taste of something he likes is caught in the carpet fibers. He also does a lot of big stretches. Their hind legs are always bent, so stretching must feel amazing, especially for bigger rabbits. I don't think these behaviors are indicative of anything bad, but you should talk to a vet just in case.

As far as seeds for a treat, I've heard from a lot of rabbit experts that seeds are a no. They're packed with way to much fat and crude protein for the delicate digestive track of a rabbit to handle.

This might sound weird, but my rabbit files his nails and teeth with a pine cone. We clip his nails around every 6 weeks. Rabbit.org suggests clipping their nails every 6-8 weeks.

Hope this helps!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

PoconoHermit posted:

I like to taunt my girlfriend's rabbits while she cleans their cage.

I'm so glad I visit this thread.

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009
This picture was taken in San Francisco by a friend of mine. It's both sad and hilarious. Make what you will of it.

This is Gruff. He's a three-year-old lionhead rabbit.

He is worse than a puppy.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Lagomorpha posted:

This is Gruff. He's a three-year-old lionhead rabbit.

I find lionheads always look slightly self-conscious and angry. It's as if they know how ridiculous(ly adorable) they look. My ultra-fluffy lop looks pissed all the time, too.

RedBox
Mar 16, 2009
Pocono that is a hilarious picture. Those rabbits are horribly obese though what is your girlfriend feeding them?

Here are my babies:

and this one isn't mine...but it's one of my favorite rabbit pictures:

I wasn't able to read all 1,900 replies to this thread, but are there any other Dutch Bun owners here?? They're my favorite :-D

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

I find lionheads always look slightly self-conscious and angry. It's as if they know how ridiculous(ly adorable) they look. My ultra-fluffy lop looks pissed all the time, too.

Cute (all!!!) bunnies are so full of themselves, they know they don't even have to try. That's why their facial expressions are stuck in a perpetual frown. Unless they're yawning--they look like freaking monsters haha.

Bobblehead Biddy
Nov 6, 2008

Then I will sit here consumed with lust for the rest of the evening!

RedBox posted:

I wasn't able to read all 1,900 replies to this thread, but are there any other Dutch Bun owners here?? They're my favorite :-D

Right here! :hfive:

Houdini likes helping me with my homework...and by that I mean he likes to eat my books while I get pleasantly distracted.

RedBox
Mar 16, 2009
Aw what a cute little guy. Is that a netherland dwarf?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Seeing bunnies in the actual harness is just beyond my comperhension. I can pet and play with and chase my mini rex all over and be a general rear end in a top hat when she's on the bed and I roll her around in the covers so she can burrow out (she loves this), but once you so much as try to pick her up she'll pounce and hiss and have none of that poo poo.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

RedBox posted:

What brand of walking jacket is that? I need to get a new one for Debbie because she outgrew her old mesh harness.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

Seeing bunnies in the actual harness is just beyond my comperhension. I can pet and play with and chase my mini rex all over and be a general rear end in a top hat when she's on the bed and I roll her around in the covers so she can burrow out (she loves this), but once you so much as try to pick her up she'll pounce and hiss and have none of that poo poo.

You have to work with them when they are young, ie.. hold them everyday. 2 of my rabbits have no problem at all being held. Then I have one who used to HATE being held but she tolerates it now for short periods of time.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

munchies posted:

You have to work with them when they are young, ie.. hold them everyday. 2 of my rabbits have no problem at all being held. Then I have one who used to HATE being held but she tolerates it now for short periods of time.

I'm going to start doing this with mine.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Bobblehead Biddy posted:

Right here! :hfive:

Houdini likes helping me with my homework...and by that I mean he likes to eat my books while I get pleasantly distracted.

Holy poo poo what is up with your hair

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Fenarisk posted:

My buns don't mind being held -- you just need to pick them up every day to get them used to it. That said, they mind being held onto when my room is visible underneath because OMGblanketstoburrowinto!! and it's clearly sheer cruelty not to let him/her go to town on them. :sigh:

When I go outside Frith refuses to be put down. The Big Bad Outdoors and all.

RedBox
Mar 16, 2009

Windy posted:

What brand of walking jacket is that? I need to get a new one for Debbie because she outgrew her old mesh harness.

It's the Walk-n-Vest from Petsmart, there's a couple diff. sizes and I got the bigger one. Link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751755

RedBox
Mar 16, 2009
Who here has an Hotot?? They are one of my favorite breeds and I never see anyone with one!!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RedBox posted:

Who here has an Hotot?? They are one of my favorite breeds and I never see anyone with one!!

I just GIS'ed what 'Hotot' rabbits are and it looks like my new Lionhead's got some part of a Hotot in her because she's mostly white with the eye coloration bits of a Hotot but her ears are brown/black and her mane is white/brown/black. She also has two small black dots over her tail which will probably get bigger when she grows.

I just realized this has very little to do with you post but i like talking about my new bunny :D

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Took an adventure to a big pet store aways away from where I live and found they carried Oxbow! Hooray!

I'm thinking about letting Chunk free range, and was wondering what people might have to say on the subject. The door to his NIC cube condo is open almost all day anyways, but he mostly just spends his time in his box on the top floor. I'm worried about him not getting enough excercise but he isn't quite at the point where he is ready to play - still a bit scaredy. (Much more receptive to pettings, though)

Here is his Condo:

Click here for the full 614x458 image.

And a close up of the top floor:

Click here for the full 613x458 image.

Because he never seems to spend any time on the bottom floor, I was thinking of reducing it to just what's on the top floor, but open so that he can come out whenever he likes, but still has his own definitive space.

He hasn't tried to chew or dig at all yet, and we've bunny-proofed the room, so I was wondering if there was any reason not to let him free-range 24/7.

Bonus pic:

Click here for the full 611x456 image.

RedBox
Mar 16, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

I just GIS'ed what 'Hotot' rabbits are and it looks like my new Lionhead's got some part of a Hotot in her because she's mostly white with the eye coloration bits of a Hotot but her ears are brown/black and her mane is white/brown/black. She also has two small black dots over her tail which will probably get bigger when she grows.

I just realized this has very little to do with you post but i like talking about my new bunny :D

Pics plz!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lagomorpha posted:

Bwahaha. I can totally imagine the little guy sticking his whole upper body in the bag and chowing down. He looks like such a little glutton for tasty popcorn.

Also, few things in the world are cuter than bunnytongue. :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I built the buns a new pen and now they're never coming out. Well, that's not true, if I open up her door, Zen will venture out just long enough to run to the other side of Frith's pen, taunt him, and then go back inside herself.

Frith, aside from the above behavior, is perfectly content to never leave the nook in the back of his pen.

:sigh:

Anyway, at least they seem happy. Although Frith is never going to get any exercise at this rate.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Anyone have any idea at all where one can buy "Neat Idea Cubes" or equivalent ripoffs?

Their use for rabbit cages is described here: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/NIC.shtml

For all it's worth I'm in Vancouver (:canada:)

Or barring that - any idea where I can buy or order lightweight fencing for this sort of thing? It seems the only options are prebuilt cages, full on fences (like for yards and what not... they are quite expensive) or chicken wire which I know you're not supposed to use for rabbits.

We have a TINY TINY apartment and we desperately need more storage room. I figured I could build a sort of raised bunny terrarium (with a nice long comfortable ramp for them to come in and out when we let them out) - then we gain a lot of storage space right underneath the wabbits.

This is a sketch of my crazy plan:

edit: for scale reference - the full thing is 40x80 inches in surface (including the ramp) and 20 inches off the ground.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Our Home Depot(in Victoria) always has neat idea cubes in stock. Failing that, i'd try something like Bed, Bath + Beyond, or another hardware store.

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bwahaha. I can totally imagine the little guy sticking his whole upper body in the bag and chowing down. He looks like such a little glutton for tasty popcorn.

Also, few things in the world are cuter than bunnytongue. :)

Hehehe, like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
My Walmart (east coast Canada) stocks the cubes, too. They're about $20 for a pack. Not wonderfully cheap, but they're still cheaper than buying a (small, inadequate) cage.

Mine stocks them in the organizing area of the home section, where the plastic bins and clothes hangars are.