Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I'll start off with "it won't work." Because it won't. :-)

However, I need to ask your question. What do you mean sideways? If you mean with the engine axis parallel to the wheel axis, that's been done. The RE5, and Norton wankels all worked that way.

Or do you mean rotary engine? Like a LeRhone engine off a WW2 biplane?

Keep in mind that gyroscopes DO NOT SELF CENTER. If you tip one over, it will remain tipped over. And will not recover!

If you placed the engine with it's crank axis horizontal, in line with the chassis, you'd have a bike that would be very difficult to manage. The bike would tip over very easily. And due to engine mass would react to engine torque violently.

if you placed the motor with the axis parallel to the axles, the bike would likely run ok. It would be very resistant to tipping into a corner. It would also be very resistant to turning. It would likely fall into turns, and be very sketchy in corners. It would load the front tire more heavily, and you'd be depending on the gyrocopic action to save you. This is something inline 4's have a problem with. Well, not "problem" but they do what they can to eliminate the crankshaft working as a gyroscope.

If you placed the motor with the crankshaft axis vertical. You'd need to steer the bike like a car. And it would be very, very slow to recover from corners. It would also stick into corners. Though in this case, engine action would press the front tire into the ground harder, so you'd have good traction.

Bikes work best with as little gyroscopic action as you can manage. Right now, wheel gyroscopic action dampens the steering action. They now have steering dampers, and even electronic ones so they can adjust at what speed it engages.

As it stands. As long as a bike still has traction, enough speed, and enough steering angle left over, a bike can't be tipped over. They already do that. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Oh sure, make me look like an rear end. :argh:

Ratzinc posted:

Rotary + motorcycle = ??

Suzuki's got ya covered.

loving Resident Evil 5, loving up the GIS search for motorcycles. :argh:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
There's more.

Hercules made one with a rotary. I've actually seen one of those in the flesh. The Hercules was air cooled, which is just loving wacky for a motor that needs oil to keep the rotor at sub nuclear temps. AND the motor was mounted with the crankshaft parallel with the chassis.

NSU made some wankel bikes too.

If you want to see a really hot rotary, check out the Norton F1. http://www.realclassic.co.uk/norton04092300.html

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

Nerobro posted:

I'll start off with "it won't work." Because it won't. :-)

Thanks for the in depth answer everyone!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
What are everyone's thoughts on the Guzzi Breva? I've got my eye on one and a local dealer has a couple (including a review demo with 600m), so I'm probably going to go check it out today. I'm only 5'6" 150, but a 31" seat and 400lbs doesn't sound too bad. Any nightmares I can look forward to with a shaft drive?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't know if Moto Guzzis are somehow different, but shaft drives are generally more reliable and require less maintenance than any other drive system.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ratzinc posted:

My friend had a thought, would it be possible to install a rotary engine sideways in a motorcyle, thus using the engine's rotation like a gyroscope to achieve a super nimble and impossible to tip over bike? Or is this just a stupid idea, period?
this is uninformed hearsay but i thought i read somewhere that normal i4 race bikes already had a degree of gyroscopic effect just from the crankshaft, (mounted on the same axis a rotary rotor would be in your idea) and that it was actually a problem for handling rather than a benefit.

Handiklap posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the Guzzi Breva? I've got my eye on one and a local dealer has a couple (including a review demo with 600m), so I'm probably going to go check it out today. I'm only 5'6" 150, but a 31" seat and 400lbs doesn't sound too bad. Any nightmares I can look forward to with a shaft drive?
my impression from reading guzzi forums after i got my older one is that even the new ones are not all that reliable. i guess if you have a dealer near you and can pay the costs you're ok but if you didn't then it can be a chore to get parts and service done on them, because they're such a small niche brand.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Handiklap posted:

Guzzi
here we go i just found a better answer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

here we go i just found a better answer

Um...Sold?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm buying a Pit Bull newfront stand on craigslist for cheap. Do I need the rear stand as well or should the center stand on the ninja250 be fine for supporting the bike? I plan on working on the brakes and changing the tire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

blugu64 posted:

I'm buying a Pit Bull newfront stand on craigslist for cheap. Do I need the rear stand as well or should the center stand on the ninja250 be fine for supporting the bike? I plan on working on the brakes and changing the tire.

Personally, I'd buy the rear stand as well. Front stands on their own don't do a fantastic job of supporting the bike and keeping it stable, and you may have some issues with the front stand lifting the front forks up too much for the height of the centerstand and causing weird weight issues or the potential for the bike to slide off the stand.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
edit: nm

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 24, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dietcokefiend posted:

Do bikes have the same flatspot tire problems of older cars in storage? Like is it recommended that you put bike on its center stand in storage to take most of the weight off the tires?

EDIT: Oh and for those wondering my carb problems have been solved through new gaskets and removal of rubber debris clogging one of the float valve seats. No more leaks overnight :iamafag:

I thought most modern tires don't have flat spot issues. And they'll go away with a little driving. Not sure if it changes for tubeless.

Question, though. If I'm looking to do some basic maintenance. (Tires, spark plugs, air filter, chain, etc)

What all will I need? I have a ratchet set, allen wrenches, phillips/flat heats, etc.

I'm guess I'll need a torque wrench and spark plug gapper. Anything else?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Christoff posted:

What all will I need? I have a ratchet set, allen wrenches, phillips/flat heats, etc.

that and some pliers will cover all the basics.

ok now, everyone here with a 70s bike or any other bike with a gas cap of the two spring-bladed screw-on type needs to go measure their filler hole/cap and if the inner (smallest) diameter is 1.5" then tell me the make and model. chop chop. cause i'm not paying $40 for a goddamn italian gas cap. i won't be italy's bitch anymore.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ok now, everyone here with a 70s bike or any other bike with a gas cap of the two spring-bladed screw-on type needs to go measure their filler hole/cap and if the inner (smallest) diameter is 1.5" then tell me the make and model. chop chop. cause i'm not paying $40 for a goddamn italian gas cap. i won't be italy's bitch anymore.

I just checked my 77' KZ650 and 66' YDS3 and both are too large. Sorry :(

1.5 inches seems really small. Some of the older 60's Yamaha's had pretty small gas caps. The ones pictured here (about half way down the page)

http://www.hvccycle.com/yamaha1965to1969.htm

are 2.5 inches in diameter. If thats the outer diameter the inner might be close to 1.5 inches. If you call HVC up they'll likely measure it for you. Of course you might not want that Yamaha logo tarnishing your beautiful Italian masterpiece.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

blugu64 posted:

You could probably get by but it will be much more stable on a rear stand, and you will never ever ever regret having a set of pitbull front and rear stands.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I did some testing on my weird fuel system and I found out the following:

-If I run the bike on PRIME it runs great

-If I run the bike on RESERVE it runs great

-If I run the bike on ON it runs for a minute or so and then dies out. (probably consuming the fuel in the carbs?

Would this be a case of a bad vacuum or a bad petcock?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I did some testing on my weird fuel system and I found out the following:

-If I run the bike on PRIME it runs great

-If I run the bike on RESERVE it runs great

-If I run the bike on ON it runs for a minute or so and then dies out. (probably consuming the fuel in the carbs?

Would this be a case of a bad vacuum or a bad petcock?

I would guess petcock first. They aren't too hard to take apart. There could be some crap plugging the ON intake.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Reserve is also vacuum actuated, so that should eliminate vacuum issues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone here ever done the MSF Advanced Riders Course or an instructed track day? Thinking about one of the two.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Ola posted:

Reserve is also vacuum actuated, so that should eliminate vacuum issues.

I assumed since that one worked it was probably a lovely petcock. Well poo poo! I hope I can find one for cheap. Is it as easy as draining the tank and bolting a new one in? Should I go aftermarket or is OEM the way to go on petcocks? my bike model is notorious for having fuel starvation issues at high speeds on stock fuel setups so I guess aftermarket would be the way to go yeah?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Anyone here ever done the MSF Advanced Riders Course or an instructed track day? Thinking about one of the two.

Do a heavily instructed trackday instead of the MSF Advanced Riders Course. The MSF stuff is nice, but you're in a parking lot, so a lot of it falls into the realm of theory because you're going 30, not 65.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I assumed since that one worked it was probably a lovely petcock. Well poo poo! I hope I can find one for cheap. Is it as easy as draining the tank and bolting a new one in? Should I go aftermarket or is OEM the way to go on petcocks? my bike model is notorious for having fuel starvation issues at high speeds on stock fuel setups so I guess aftermarket would be the way to go yeah?

I wouldn't bother fixing it. Turn it to on when you're not riding it, and run it on reserve or prime the rest of the time.

It could also be that we/I screwed up putting the correct hoses back on the petcock...check the hose routing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Christoff posted:

The MSF advanced is $90 and takes 2 points off your record, which is a pretty good deal if you have any points on your record. The insurance discount ends up only being around $30 in most cases, though. I was planning on taking it before any trackdays to correct whatever I might be doing wrong (and get points off).

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

Do a heavily instructed trackday instead of the MSF Advanced Riders Course. The MSF stuff is nice, but you're in a parking lot, so a lot of it falls into the realm of theory because you're going 30, not 65.

I wouldn't bother fixing it. Turn it to on when you're not riding it, and run it on reserve or prime the rest of the time.

It could also be that we/I screwed up putting the correct hoses back on the petcock...check the hose routing.

Haha nah, well, it WAS backwards but I've already fixed it. :)
I guess I just need to learn to gauge how for I can go on a tank so I don't run out of gas like a chump.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

The MSF advanced is $90 and takes 2 points off your record, which is a pretty good deal if you have any points on your record. The insurance discount ends up only being around $30 in most cases, though. I was planning on taking it before any trackdays to correct whatever I might be doing wrong (and get points off).

Wait, what? Takes points OFF your record? I don't have any points but is that state dependent?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

I just checked my 77' KZ650 and 66' YDS3 and both are too large. Sorry :(
some more searching revealed a '60s honda dream 150 gas cap has an ID of 1.5". found a used one on ebay. i just screwed italy out of $35. take that, benito.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Quick question:

My new Buell Lightning's battery can't seem to hold a charge overnight and gets hot while riding. Seems to me like it's time for a replacement, do you guys agree?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Getting hot while riding doesn't sound like a battery problem, that seems like it would fall more into the realm of a charging problem.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I think the heat is just a byproduct of being close to the rear cylinder. When the under-seat fan wasn't working for mine, even in 60 degree weather was seriously sweatin' balls (literally). Once I got that fixed, it was much better, but it wouldn't surprise me if the heat on the battery is just from the engine.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, the underseat fan is working well, but yeah the battery isn't cranking the motor, even after a long ride. I got it checked with the machine at Advance Auto Parts and it had 12.4v but only 28CA, this after the long ride. The tester recommended replacement. Do you think their tester is reliable?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 16, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

dietcokefiend posted:

gently caress well I dont know what happened but I can barely move my wrist for anything now. Hurts to just hold it up to walk around. Suck it up or get the thing xrayed? :smithicide:
Get it x-rayed. Your situation sounds a little worse than when I broke my wrist; I could walk around and poo poo but I had to be very, very careful how I held it and how I grabbed/exerted force on things, otherwise it'd hurt like all gently caress. I used medical ibuprofen for the swelling and that helped but yeah, it was broken in the end.

Okay, I have a new question: I went nuts with my bike today and there are parts and fairings and stuff around my garage now. I've got like 5-6 things going on at once.

One thing that really pissed me off though, is the gear lever assembly. Last year I replaced my rear brake lever and it didn't seem as big of a pain in the rear end as this. I've got the gear lever assembly off and can't find a way to exert enough force on the footpeg/hex bolt to get the goddamn thing apart so I can change the gear lever out. Any suggestions?

I've currently got the thing sitting on the floor with the bolt covered in WD-40. I'm gonna try again tomorrow, hopefully this is all it needs.

This is what I'm talking about (pic's not mine)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Get it x-rayed. Your situation sounds a little worse than when I broke my wrist; I could walk around and poo poo but I had to be very, very careful how I held it and how I grabbed/exerted force on things, otherwise it'd hurt like all gently caress. I used medical ibuprofen for the swelling and that helped but yeah, it was broken in the end.

Okay, I have a new question: I went nuts with my bike today and there are parts and fairings and stuff around my garage now. I've got like 5-6 things going on at once.

One thing that really pissed me off though, is the gear lever assembly. Last year I replaced my rear brake lever and it didn't seem as big of a pain in the rear end as this. I've got the gear lever assembly off and can't find a way to exert enough force on the footpeg/hex bolt to get the goddamn thing apart so I can change the gear lever out. Any suggestions?

I've currently got the thing sitting on the floor with the bolt covered in WD-40. I'm gonna try again tomorrow, hopefully this is all it needs.

This is what I'm talking about (pic's not mine)

That's not a hex bolt. It's a nut that threads onto the rod to secure it to the footpeg assembly. Can you not get it out at all? Usually all you have to do is get the nut to back off the footpeg portion, and then you can just spin the footpeg off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One end of that shifter assembly is a left hand thread, so if you're working it like a regular right hand thread, you're tightening.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Christoff posted:

You'll probably also need feeler gauges if you adjust your valve clearance. That's all I've ever needed to work on my bike, though I haven't tackled replacing my chain, yet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

some more searching revealed a '60s honda dream 150 gas cap has an ID of 1.5". found a used one on ebay. i just screwed italy out of $35. take that, benito.

Eagerly awaiting your followup post when you find out they made the original Guzzi cap reverse threaded or some crazy poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
^^^ I'm not sure I understand that fully.

Z3n posted:

That's not a hex bolt. It's a nut that threads onto the rod to secure it to the footpeg assembly. Can you not get it out at all? Usually all you have to do is get the nut to back off the footpeg portion, and then you can just spin the footpeg off.
I can't get the goddamn thing to turn even a hair. The first problem was trying to get enough leverage because the assembly's so drat small, so I tried c-clamping it to something and applying as much counterclockwise motion as I could, but it wouldn't budge.

Also I'm pretty sure it's a bolt and not a nut, because it's a head and there's nothing protruding through it. Also when I replaced my brake lever I remember this thing being a bolt, with the footpeg assembly being hollow and threaded (or something) to accomodate the bolt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

^^^ I'm not sure I understand that fully.

I can't get the goddamn thing to turn even a hair. The first problem was trying to get enough leverage because the assembly's so drat small, so I tried c-clamping it to something and applying as much counterclockwise motion as I could, but it wouldn't budge.

Also I'm pretty sure it's a bolt and not a nut, because it's a head and there's nothing protruding through it. Also when I replaced my brake lever I remember this thing being a bolt, with the footpeg assembly being hollow and threaded (or something) to accomodate the bolt.

I realized afterwards that I was probably explaining that poorly.

You can see the shift rod there, stuck through the top mount of the rearsets.

The easiest way to get it to break loose is to get 2 wrenches, and use them to break the 2 nuts loose without putting too much stress on the footpeg attachment or the shift linkage. You will then be able to spin the rod to lift or lower the shift lever, or eventually it'll unthread all the way out. Look carefully at the threads and you should be able to tell which way to break the nuts loose. I'm pretty sure that if the wrench is facing upwards on the rear nut, you'll push it towards the frame to break the nut loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
My Ninja 250 is coming up on 12,000 mile maintenance and I'm going to spend an afternoon taking care of the basics, oil change, air filter, chain tension etc. I'm concerned about one thing though - the service schedule calls for swing arm lubrication: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Servicing_the_swingarm

This looks way beyond my budding mechanical side and I'm debating either taking it to a repair shop / kawasaki dealer (can't find any near me, suburban chicago area), or just neglecting it altogether but I know that's not the smart thing to do. Basically, I'm asking if I really DO need to lubricate the swing arm. I haven't felt or had any reason to believe there's anything wrong with the suspension system and there is no squeaking or friction I know of.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a reliable, legitimate motorcycle or kawasaki service center in the Chicago suburbs and what I could expect to pay for that specific service?